为什么ravel bolero和unravel bolero都是解...

为什么ravel和unravel都是解开的意思?应该是2词互为反义的啊!如题!
下面的英文部分是我在一个英语论坛上找到的,再加上我的中文回答,相信可以解决这个问题.Dear native teachers,One afternoon,while checking a project,one of the reviewers hollered out,"Does anyone know what ravel means?" As usual,someone had an opinion and replied,"to separate or disentangle,to take apart or undo." That got everyone's attention,and the question arose,"Isn't that the meaning of unravel?Isn't ravel different than unravel?" After 10 minutes of debate and discussion,we resorted to looking it up in Webster's dictionary.And guess what we found out?That "ravel" means "to unravel"!Of course,that caused an uproar!We had to lookup the prefix "un-" which meant what everyone thought it meant,a prefix meaning "not." And,how come the same word (to wit "ravel") can have,not just different meanings,but totally opposite!So I fear this is just one of the idiosyncrasies(怪癖) of the English language,which is what makes it so fascinating.我自己的总结:有时加UN,不一定是反义词.而且还有个很有趣的事:ravel这个词有两个完全相反的意思.一个是解开,另一个却是弄混.unravel只有一种意思,就是解开.所以说这两个词确实是很有意思的词.相互矛盾的东西却统一在一个单词里面了.
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码RT,怎么字典里又是“阐明”又是“使复杂化”……到底是“阐明”还是“复杂化”啊?
凝帝系列782tYk
ravel rav·el (răvəl)v.rav·eled,also rav·elled rav·el·ing,rav·el·ling rav·els,rav·elsv.tr.To separate the fibers or threads of (cloth,for example); unravel.To clarify by separating the aspects of.To tangle or complicate.v.intr.To become separated into i unravel or fray.To become tangled or confused.n.A raveling.A broken or discarded thread.A tangle.by 美国传统词典看了2个意思都有,要根据语境来判断吧 查看原帖>>
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码to separate or disentangle the threads of (a woven or knitted fabric, a rope, etc.).
to free from compli solve:
to to unravel a mystery.
destroy (a plan, agreement, or arrangement).
to become unraveled.
especially British, unraveller, noun
unravelment, noun
UnabridgedBased on the Random House Dictionary, (C) Random House, Inc. 2016.
Examples from the Web for
Contemporary Examples
I sink down onto him … reveling in the fullness of my possession, reveling in his reaction, watching him unravel beneath me.
May 3, 2012
The plot to kill Sadat sought to unravel the peace he had made with Israel.
August 21, 2011
It also would seriously threaten to unravel the consensus that RtoP achieved in 2005.
February 14, 2012
Although Schwend was initially released, his life began to unravel.
September 19, 2014
It has taken eight years for the unravel, but we are now watching the past melt away.
October 7, 2008
Historical Examples
Since she could not unravel the tangle, she must take care not to re-enter it.
E. M. Forster
"But have the goodness to unravel to us this grand mystery," demanded the count.
Anna Cora Mowatt Ritchie
They spare no pains to unravel I hope they will find one some day as a reward for their efforts.
Mary Edith Durham
How might she unravel this tangled skein and float to weal upon this sea of death?
H. Rider Haggard
He was not fitted to unravel difficulties in his episcopate, and scarcely suited to these times.
Edward Bannerman Ramsay
British Dictionary definitions for
verb -els, -elling, -elled (US) -els, -eling, -eled
(transitive) to reduce (something knitted or woven) to separate strands
(transitive) to undo or untangle (something tangled or knotted)
(transitive) to explain or solve: the mystery was unravelled
(intransitive) to become unravelled
unraveller, noununravelment, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition (C) William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd.
(C) HarperCollinsPublishers , , ,
Word Origin and History for
c.1600, from
Online Etymology Dictionary, (C) 2010 Douglas Harper
Discover our greatest slideshows
Browse more topics on our blog
Learn the correct uses of these two commonly confused homophones.
What mistaken pronunciation gave this character its name?
This small mark has two primary uses: to signify possession or omitted letters.
People invent new words all the time, but which ones actually make it?
Word of the Day
Difficulty index for
Many English speakers likely know this word
Word Value for
Words With Friends
Related Words
Nearby words for unravel

我要回帖

更多关于 ravel bolero 的文章

随机推荐