I have no use forconfidenc...

変化する友達 - まんとるの壷どっとねっと
俺が言うのもおこがましいんだけど。成長と言うか何と言うか、すごく変化を感じた。いきなり電話をしてしまうくらい感動した。「○○したい」と言う気持ちは本音からしか出ないと思う。それがある以上、もう本物だろう。
3.テーマ
9.いろいろ
このページは、まんとるが日 01:31に書いたブログ記事です。
ひとつ前のブログ記事は「」です。
次のブログ記事は「」です。
最近のコンテンツはで見られます。過去に書かれたものはで見られます。当前位置: >>>
相关教程:&&
&& 《名人演讲》包括诺贝尔获奖演讲、名人在大学演讲、中国名人演讲、就职演讲、科学与文化方面的演讲和其它场合的演讲。
&& 《名人演讲》所选名人演讲名篇语言地道,结构严谨,所表达的思想内涵深邃、风格各异,充分展示名家们的语言艺术及个人魅力。
Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the
When going down the Tigris and Euphrates rivers many years ago with a party of English travelers I found myself under the direction of an old Arab guide whom we hired up at Baghdad, and I have often thought how that guide resembled our barbers in ce
Mr. Chairman and Members of the Notification Committee: I shall, at an early day, and in a more formal manner, accept the nomination which you tender, and shall at that time discuss the various questions covered by the Democratic platform.It may not
President Hoover, Mr. Chief Justice, my friends: This is a day of national consecration. And I am certain that on this day my fellow Americans expect that on my induction into the Presidency, I will address them with a candor and a decision which th
My friends: I want to talk for a few minutes with the people of the United States about banking -- to talk with the comparatively few who understand the mechanics of banking, but more particularly with the overwhelming majority of you who use banks
President Roosevelt was elected on November 8, 1932. People look upon an elected President as the President. This is January 1935. We are in our third year of the Roosevelt depression, with the conditions growing worse... We must now become awakened
Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encoura
My friends: This is not a fireside chat on war. It is a talk
because the nub of the whole purpose of your President is to keep you now, and your children later, and your grandchildren much later, out of a last-ditch war for the
Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives: Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air fo
Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, members of the 77 th Congress: I address you, the members of this new Congress, at a moment unprecedented in the history of the union.I use the word unprecedented because at no previous time has American security been as
Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Congress of the United States: The gravity of the situation which confronts the world today necessitates my appearance before a joint session of the Congress. The foreign policy and the national security of
Mr. President, Dr. Conant, members of the Board of Overseers, Ladies and Gentlemen: I am profoundly grateful, touched by the great distinction and honor and great compliment accorded me by the authorities of Harvard this morning. I am overwhelmed, a
Mr. President, fellow delegates: The long and meticulous study and debate of which this Universal Declaration of Human Rights is the product means that it reflects the composite views of the many men and governments who have contributed to its formu
I feel that this award was not made to me as a man, but to my work -- a life's work in the agony and sweat of the human spirit, not for glory and least of all for profit, but to create out of the materials of the human spirit something which did not
Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, and Distinguished Members of the Congress: I stand on this rostrum with a sense of deep humility and great pride -- humility in the wake of those great American architects of our history who have您当前的位置:&>&正文
新加坡总理吴作栋理国庆群众大会演讲
&&&&来源:河北博才网&&阅读:499次
新加坡总理吴作栋理国庆群众大会演讲名人演讲稿WhentheSingaporeteamsuccefullyclimbedMountEverest(中国称珠穆朗玛峰))in1998,Icheered.IoketoKhooSweeChiowandhisteam-mateslater.Theytoldmethattheyclimbedupinstages,fromBaseCamp(探险队等的营地)toCam1,2,3and4,beforetheymadetheiraaultforthesummit.Theclimbbecamemoredifficultanddangerousthehighertheywent.Theairbecamethierandtheslopesteeper.Youhadtobedisciplined,determined,andwellprepared.Andyouhadtohaveluckonyourside.Therecouldbeavalanchesandrockfails,ortheweathercouldchangesuddenly.SweeChiowtoldmethatthemostimportantqualityneededtoclimbMountEverestwasmentalstrength.TheclimbupMountEverestprovidesavividimageforSingapore'sownclimbupthemountainofeconomicdevelopment.SeniorMinisterbroughtSingaporeuptoCamp2--fromlabourinteivetoelectronicsandhighervalue-addedindustries.Inthelast10years,wehaveclimbedhighertoCamp3,withwaferfa(waferfabrication的口语表达,晶体管加工),chemicals,andfinancialservices.Now,wearemakingourwaytoCamp4,todoIT,lifesciences,andotherknowledge-basedactivities.IfwemakeittoCamp4,wecanthentrytoscalethesummitwherecountriesliketheUS,JapanandSwitzerlandare.Butletmewarnyou.AsintheMountEverestclimb,thegoingwillgettougherfromhere.Aswegohigherupthemountainofeconomicdevelopment,progrewillbeslower.Wewillnotseethesamehighgrowthratesasinthepast.Wewillhavetoworksmarterandacquiremoresophisticatedcapabilitiestoovercomecomplexchallenges.Wewillbetemptedtorelax.Indeed,someSingaporeahaveasked:"DoweneedtobeNumberOneineverything?"Wewillneedgreatmentalstrengthtocontinuepushingourselvestoexcel.Ifwedonotdoso,othersnowbehinduswillpushusoffthetrack.Tonight,Iwanttofocusonthisnextstageofoureconomicclimb.THECURRENTDOWNTURNButfirst,letmetouchonthecurrenteconomicdownturn.WhenImetthemediaearlierthisweek,theytoldmethatSingaporeawouldexpectmetoeakindetailontheslowdown,andoffersolutio.IexplainedwhyIdidnotintendtodoso.Wehavealreadydiscuedonmanyoccasioourshort-termproblems.Iwanttodealwiththelong-termchallenges.Ofgreaterconcerntomearethefundamentalshiftsintheglobaleconomicenvironment,andthefactthatmanyofthejowhicharelostduringthisslowdown,mightneverreturnafterrecovery.Weneedanewstrategytoreondtothesedevelopments.Moreover,duri
ngthe1997Asianfinancialcrisis,wehadputinplaceamajorpackageofrebatesandcost-cuttingmeasures.Partsofthisarestillineffect,includingtheCP17cut.Then,inthisyear'sbudget,RichardHucutcorporateandpersonaltaxes,andgaverebatesonamCcharges,rentalsandutilitybills.Recently,GeorgeYeoaouncedanotherpackagetodealwiththecurrenteconomicslowdown.Letmeaureyouthatiftheslowdowndragson,wehavethemeaandabilitytodomoretohelpyou.Andwewillhelpyou.MyMinistersandIarewatchingtheeconomyveryclosely.Weareworkingoutpoibleadditionalmeasures,justincasetheeconomycontinuestoworsenandweneedtoadministerasecondpackage.Ourcurrentproblemisthecoequenceofbeingasmall,openeconomy,highlydependentonexternaltradeandforeigninvestment.WhentheUSandothermajoreconomiesweregrowing,wecaughtthestrongwindsandsurgedahead.Nowthatthewindshavedied,ourgrowthhasslowedtoalmostastandstill.Wedonothavealargedomesticmarkettogoagaitchangesinthewindintheexternalenvironment.Wejusthavetocopewiththem.WhattheGovernmentcando,however,istomakesurethattheeconomystayscompetitiveoverthelongterm,andsoftentheimpactofdownturonbusineesandworkersthroughcost-cuttingmeasuresandrebates.Wearedoingtherightthings,Inarecentsurveyof12AsiancountriesbyPERC,aHongKong-basedrisk-analysiscoultancy,Singaporerankednumberoneforqualityofgovernmentpolicies.PERCreportedthat:"Singaporeisaposter-boyofhowtopursueeconomicdevelopment...NowthattheeconomyisslowinginreoetothedownturninelectronicexportstotheUS,the(Singapore)governmentiscomingupwithnewmeasurestobolstergrowth.Yetitisnotpanicking,norisitradicallychangingotherpoliciesthathavebeenasourceofstabilityandfortifiedinvestorconfidence."(AsianIntelligence,July25,2001)Sodonotloseconfidence.Donotwalkaroundwithyourhead~aningsolow,asifwehavebeendiagnosedwithagravecondition.Wemightbealittleoutofsorts,butitisnotlife-threatening.Whentheglobaleconomyrecovers,sowillwe.Weshouldthereforekeepouriritsup,andfightoffanygloom.Thereisabiggerbattleafterthis.Wecansucceedonlyifourmoraleishigh.THELASTTENYEARSLetusplanthenextstageofoureconomicclimbevenaswedealwiththecurrentslowdown.Ihadearliergiventhemediaabookletontheprogrewemadeinthe1990s.Acopyhasalsobeengiventoyou.Thisrecordofourachievementssetsthecurrentdownturninperective.Thelastfewyearshavebeenvolatile--goodgrowthin1997,sharpdownturnin1998,recoveryin1999,10percentgrowthin2000,andnowanotherdownturn.Buttakingalongerviewoverthelastdecade,wehavemadecoiderableprogre.Thisshouldgiveustheconfidencethatwecanclimbhigher.Wehavestrongfundamentals.WehaveatestedteamofexperiencedMinisters,M,grarootsandunionleaders,andcivilservants.Wehavecapablepeopleintheprivatesectorandaunitedpopulation.Andwehavetheresourcestoinvestinnewventuresandcapabilities.Oureconomygrewfasterinthe90sthaninthe80s,deitethe1997Asianfinancialcrisis(7.7peraum,asagait7.3).Iwasalsoquietlysatisfiedthatwerealisedourvisionofreachingthe1984Swistandardoflivinglastyear.In1984,wehadsetthisasatargettobeachievedby1999,butwemieditbyoneyearbecauseofthecrisis.TheGovernmentdistributedbacktoSingaporeaagoodpartofthewealthgeneratedfromthisstrongeconomicgrowth.Wesharedcloseto$14billionthroughaet-enhancementprogrammesandendowmentfunds.Weinvestedinbetterhealthcare,housingandeducation.Singaporea'standardoflivingwentupcoiderably.Wealsolivenedupthearts,culturalandleisurescene.Twoyearsago,Timemagazinedescribedourcitylifeas"funky".Morerecently,Australia'sCaerraTimessaidthatSingaporewas"hip"and"cool".Ahh!Now,weevenhavefoamparties!1thoughtfoampartieswereforchildren,but1sawpicturesofadultsenjoyingthemselvestoo.Thatisallright,solongasthemerry-makersprancearoundwiththelightsandtheirclotheson.Fortunately,wealsohavehigh-browedstufflikeplays,balletsandmusicals.Tonight'sRallyisheldhereiteadoftheusualKallangTheatrebecauseIgavewayto"MiSaigon".BUTTHEREAREGAHowever,therewerealsoareaswherewecouldhavedonebetter.Iwillmentiononlytwo,justtoremindSingaporeanottobecomplacent.Ourservicestandardscanbeimproved.Ournewaperscarrymanycomplaintsofpoorserviceinourshoandrestaurants,bytaxi-drivers,andeveninourhoitalsandbanks.Wecanalsobemoregraciousandcoiderate,athomeandinothercountries.Forexample,someJohoreahavedescribedChineseSingaporeaas"haolian"or"show-offs".TheyclaimthatSingaporealovetoeedandbeattrafficlightswheninMbehaveasiftheyare"ABC"or"American-bornChinese";andlovetoshout"verycheap,verycheap!"whileshoing.Iwouldaddthatwearetoo'kiasu'.Forexample,atbuffets,wepileoystersonourplatesashighasMountEverest.Ithinkourlethangraciousbehaviourisbecausewehavebecomeaffluenttooquickly.Oursocialgraceshavenotkeptpacewithourmaterialprogre.Letusbehumble,courteous,andgraciousinourbehaviourandattitude.Letusmakefriendswithourneighbours,eeciallyJohorea.MORECHALLENGINGENVIRONMENTAHEADThenexttenyearswillbetougherthanthelastten.Ouroperatingenvironmenthaschangedtremendously.Wearenowinanewphaseofglobaldevelopment.Thereisonlyonepre-eminentworldpower-theUS.Neverthele,theUScaotignoretherapidemergenceofChina.US-CHINARELATIOIndeed,theUS-Chinarelatiohipwillbethedefiningfactoringlobaleconomicsandpoliticsinthecomingdecades.Ifitgoeswrong,Asiawillsuffer.TheUSseestremendousoortunitiesinChina'seconomicgrowth,butatthesametime,itworriesoverChina'sgrowingpower.HowUS-Chinarelatiowillevolveisstilltooearlytosay.PresidentGeorgeW.BushoketoPresidentJiangZemingonthetelephonerecently.AccordingtoPresidentJiang,"AlthoughitwasnotavideophonewhereIcouldseehisfacialexpreion,fromhisvoice,IcouldfeelthathewasaPresidentwecandobusinewith."IhopethatwhenthetwoPresidentsmeetinBeijinginOctober,andseeeachother'sfacialexpreio,theywillfindthattheycandobusinewitheachother.EASTASIAWithinEastAsia,thereareotherflashpoints.Cro-straitrelatiobetweenChinaandTaiwanaretroubled.ThemomentumofreconciliationbetweenthetwoKoreashavesloweddown.IntheSouthChinaSea,severalcountriesclaimtheatollsandreefsthere.Ifthisleadstoconflict,sealanesofcommunicatioandinternationaltradewillbedisrupted,affectingus.Theoutlookforourimmediateneighbourhoodalsoremaiuncertain.IndonesiahasjustelectedanewPresident,thethirdinthreeyearssinceSuhartosteeddownin1998.PresidentMegawattiinheritsacountryinwhichpartsarethreateningtobreakaway,andtheeconomyisinagravestate.Indonesiawilltakemanyyearstorecover.TheMalaysianeconomybouncedbackbrieflyafterthe1997Asianfinancialcrisis.However,internationalinvestorsremainwary.OthercountriesinAseanarealsofacingvariousdifficulties.Asaresult,Aseanisatalowpoint.Investorsarenegativeabouttheregion'sproects.Singaporewillfeelkeenlytheeffectofthisuncertaintyintheregion.THECHINACHALLENGEMoreover,oureconomyisuncomfortablysandwichedbetweenthedevelopinganddevelopedeconomies.Manydevelopingeconomiesarefastcatchingupwithusintechnologicalcapability.What'smore,theyhavemuchlowercostsofproduction.Forexample,ourwagesformanufacturingworkersaremorethan12timesthatinChinaandIndia.OurindustriallandcostsaboutUS$300persquaremetre.InShenzhen,itcostsbelowUS$10.Fortunately,wearenolongercompetinginlow-endmanufacturing,wherelowwagesandlowlandpricesarecritical.Butstill,Chinaposesabigeconomicchallenge.SomeeconomistsdescribeChinaasan"800-poundtradinggorilla".AHongkongnewaperaddedthatthisgorillawas"veryhungry".Intheearly90s,Chinatook20ofthetotalforeigndirectinvestmentintoEastAsia(excludingJapan),whileAseanaorbed50.Today,thenumbersarereversed:Chinatakesin50andAsean20.Chinaisnowduedthe"subcontractoroftheworld".EvenIndiaisbeingfloodedwithcheapbutgoodqualityChinesegoods.SomeIndianmanufacturersarefindingithardtocompete.Sotheyhavedonethenextbestthing.Theystick"MadeinChina"labelsontheirproductstoboostsales.ButChinawillsoonbemorethanasub-contractor.AJulyarticleinAsiaweekcommentedthat:"It'snotaboutcheapstuffanymore.FromPCstochitosoftware,(China)isbecominganITpowerhouse."ManyTaiwanesecompaniesareinvestingheavilyinChina,notjustinlow-endactivities,butalsohightechplantslikewaferfa.ThecompaniesareshiftingtheiractivitiesoutofTaiwanintoChina.Thereare200,000TaiwanesebusinemeninShanghaiandanother200,000inKuhannearSuzhou.TheTaiwaneseworrythattheirmanufacturingindustryisbeinghollowedout.RichardLimwroteaninterestingarticle,entitled"AWake-upCallfromChina",intheSundayTimesof22July.HehasbeentoChinaseveraltimesovermanyyears.HefoundChina'straformationtobe:"Alarming,becauseChina'straformationwillimpactgreatlyonSingapore,eeciallyonthelivelihoodsofitslewell-educatedcitize."Hethenurgedthat:"Thepeoplemustbemadeawareofwhatishaening,becausetheirfuture,ortheirchildren's,isatstake."RichardLim'sarticleattractedseveralletters.Manyreadersagreedwithhim.Iwas,however,morethanalittlesadtoreadthereoeofayoungreader,probablywestern-educatedandhadneverbeentoChina.Herevealedthathehaddraftedhisreoewithiutsfromafewotherslikehimself,all20-somethings.Hewrote:"WedonotfeelanyaffinitytotheChinesepeople...Thecheenapeoplearesuckingawayalltheforeigninvestmentsandalongwiththem,ourjo...Wereallycaotimagineaworldwiththecheenapeopleincharge.ThecheenapeopleworkinginSingaporearereallysuchacrudelot."HeendedsarcasticallybyaskingRichardLimtocoidermigratingtoChina.Thisyoungmanisunabletoseebeyondhisnose.Heneedstogrowup,andquicklytoo.PerhahedoesnotknowthatChinesearecalled"OrangCina"inMalay.IfwearenotCina,whatarewe?"AngMoh"?IhavebeentoChinamanytimes,thefirsttimein1971.IhaveseenChina'straformationatclosequarters.Itisscary.YougotoBeijing,Shanghai,Shenzhen,Dalian,Qingdaoandscoresofothercities,andyouwillbeastonishedbyhowquicklytheyhavelearntandcaughtup.TheywritesoftwaresforMicrosoft.Theyareintolifesciencesandbiomedicalengineering.Theyhaveevensucceededinmakingtheirtoiletsattouristattractioshinierandcleanerthanours.OurbiggestchallengeisthereforetosecureanicheforourselvesasChinaswamtheworldwithherhighqualitybutcheaperproducts.China'seconomyispotentiallytentimesthesizeofJapan's.Justaskyourself:howdoesSingaporecompeteagaittenpostwarJapa,allindustrialisingandexportingtotheworldatthesametime?IdonotmeanthatChinawilloverpowereveryothereconomy,andgrowattheexpeeofeverybodyelse.AsChinadeveloandexportsmore,itsimportswillgrowtoo.TherewillbemanyoortunitiesforothercountriestotradewithChina,andforforeigncompaniestoinvestinChina.Wemustgratheseoortunities.Butmanyofthethingswearenowdoing,intime,Chinawilldobetterandcheaper.Wewillhavetostayonestepahead,andmoveontonewactivities.Singaporehasawindowofabouttenyearstomakethistraformation,andupgradetothenextlevelofeconomicdevelopment.Butaswedoso,wecompetehead-onwiththedevelopedeconomies.Wehavetomatchtheirlevelofiovative,scientific,technologicalandmanagerialcapability.VISIONFORSINGAPOREWewillneednewenergy,aclearseeofdirection,aNewSingapore,tocompeteinthisnewenvironment.MyvisionistoturnSingaporeintoaglobalcity,a'globapolis',withpeoplefromallovertheworldandwellcoectedtoallpartsoftheglobe-byair,sea,telecommunicatioandtheInternet,inmarketacceandinvestments,andinareassuchaseducation,ortsandthearts.InNewSingapore,therewillbeabundantoortunitiesforSingaporeaandglobaltalenttoworkanddowell.Ourlimitedphysicalandmarketsizewillnotcotrainus,forwewouldhaveexpandedoureconomicacebeyondourshores.NewSingaporewillbeoneoftheworld'sfinest,mostliveablecities.Arts,theatres,museums,musicandortswillflourish.Singaporewillbealivelyandexcitingplace,withplentytodoandexperience.Ourcitywillnotonlyhavedepth,butalsotherichneofdiversity.Butaboveall,SingaporewillbeahomeforSingaporea.Itwillbethebesthomeforustoraiseourchildren,awarmandsafehomewithagoodheartandsoundvalues,andwherestrongbondsuniteusasonefamily.HOWDOWEGETTHERE?TocreatethisNewSingapore,wewillimplementaneweconomicstrategyandforgeanewsocialcompact.Theneweconomicstrategywillenableustodevelopnewbasesofgrowth.Thenewsocialcompact-anunderstandingamongallSihgaporea,andbetweentheGovernmentandpeople-willeurethatwestayacohesivenationevenaseconomiccompetitioninteifiesandtheincomegapwide.InthisproceofgettingtotheNewSingapore,wewillhavetodiscardmindsetsandoldwaysofdoingthingsthathavebecomeirrelevant.Wewillhavetolearnnewcompetencies.ButthisiseasiersaidthandoneForexample,1knowmanyteachersintheir50swhohavechosentoretireearly.Iftheyhadstayedon,theywouldhavehadtolearnmanynewthings.Theywouldhavehadtochange30yearsofteachingmaterials,methodsandroutinesfornewones.Theywouldhavehadtostrugglewiththeircomputers,andsometimes,gethelpfromthestudentstheyaresuosedtoteach.Theyfoundsuchchangestreful.Sotheychosetogetoffthetreadmill.Asindividuals,theycouldretire.Butanentirecountrycaotquit.Wehavenochoicebuttorunatthehigheedoftheglobaleconomictreadmill.Otherwise,wewillbethrownoff,andallSingaporeawillsuffer.NEWECONOMICSTRATEGYSingapore'sgrowthuptonowhasprimarilybeeninvestment-driven.Thishastakenourproeritytoanextraordinarylevel.Butlookingintothefuture,therearelimitstohowmuchmorewecanrelyonsuchastrategy.First,ourwagesandrentalsarealreadyhigherthanthoseinothercountriescompetingforthesameinvestments.Secondly,thereisanimbalancebetweenourexportsector,drivenmainlybyMNCs,andourdomesticsector.Ourexportsectoriscompetitive,butourdomesticsectorisnot.Thirdly,ourexportsaredominatedbyoneindustry-electronics.Thismakesusvulnerabletochangesinexternaldemand.Fourthly,ourimmediateregionisinastateofflux,andwillremainsoforsomeyears.Weneedtoreondtothesechallenges.Tonight,Iwouldliketooutlinefivekeythruststhatwillpropelourneweconomicstrategy.First,beglobal.Reachouttonewmarketsinourregionandbeyond.Next,createanenterprisingSingapore.WeneedmoreSingaporeatostrikeoutinbusine,andbemorereadytotakerisks.Thirdly,bemoreiovative.Weshouldlookforourownideas,ratherthanmerelycopyingtheideasofothers.Fourthly,restructureoureconomy,tomakeourexportanddomesticsectorsmorecompetitive.Andlast,enlargeourpoolofhumancapitalandraiseitsquality.REACHINGOUTFirst,reachingouttonewmarkets.7-HOURHINTERLANDTheAseanregionisimportanttous,eeciallyMalaysiaandIndonesia.Butweshouldnowwidenourhinterland,tobuildupSingaporeasahubforthegreaterAsianregion.Withina7~hourflightradiusofSingaporelive2.8billionpeople,withhundredsofmilliointhemiddleincomegroup.Wehaveonlyourselvestoblameifwedonotfullyexploittheseoortunities.Weshouldregardallthecountriesandcitieswhicharewithin7hoursofflyingtimefromSingaporeasourhinterland.Chinaiswithinthisgreaterhinterland.SoisIndia,whichalsooffersusgoodgrowthoortunities.Indiaisopeningup,thoughnotasectacularlyasChina.ItsITindustryeeciallyhasdevelopedremarkablyinthelastfewyears.IndialivingabroadarebegiingtoreturntoIndia,tostartupcompaniesthere.FREETRADEAGREEMENTSOurFreeTradeAgreementorFTAstrategyispartofoureffortstoexpandoureconomicace.Lastyear,weconcludedanFTAwithNewZealand.WearenownegotiatingFTAswiththeUS,JapanandAustralia,amongothers.FTAsopenupforeignmarketstocompaniesinSingapore.Thiswillbenefitourcompanies,whichmustexporttogrow.FTAswillalsoattractmoreinvestmentstoSingapore,becausefactoriesinSingaporewillbeauredofenhancedaccetoimportantmarketsliketheUSandJapan.ThismeamoreandbetterjoforSingaporea.Inthelastfewmonths,theMalaysianmediahasportrayedourFTAsas"TrojanHorses"thatprovide"backdoor"entryforgoodsfromourFTApartnerstoentertheAseanmarket,throughtheAseanFreeTradeAreaorAFTA.OurFTAscaotbea"backdoor".Indeed,ifitwerepoibleforothercountriestouseSingapore'sFTAsasa"backdoor"toentertheAseanmarket,thenMalaysiacouldusethesame"backdoor"toenterthemarketsofourFTApartnerssuchastheUSandJapan!ButtherulesoforiginofAFTAandourFTAswillnotallowthis.ENTERPRISINGSINGAPOREThesecondthrustofourneweconomicstrategyisenterprise.Inthepast,weboughtandsoldotherpeople'sproducts.Later,weaddedvaluetothesegoods.ThenweattractedMNCstomanufacturehere.Inthenextphaseofourdevelopment,Singaporeahavetobemoreentrepreneurial.Weneedtogrowagroupoflocalcompaniesthatcangointernational,tobecomeinternationalSingaporecompaniesorISCs.TheywillbasetheircorecapabilitiesinSingaporeandexpandoutside.Theywillbeanotherengineofgrowthforoureconomy,sulementingourforeignMNCstrategy.IknowwewillnothavemanycompanieslikeSingaporeAirlines,butwecanhaveafewmorelikeCreativeTechnologyorA.DEVELOPINGSINGAPOREENTERPRISESWehavesomelocalcompanieswiththepotentialtobecomeISCs,butwewillneedmore.KwekLengBengKwekLengBengoftheHongLeongGrouphasturnedhisfamily-runcompanyintoasucceful,profeionallymanagedISC.Hishotelsuidiaryoworoperatesaportfolioof110hotelswithatotalof30,000rooms,aingAsia,Australia,NewZealand,EuropeandtheUS.LengBengisenterprising.WhenIwasinLondonrecently,heinvitedmetolunchathisabout-to-be-openedrestaurantinoneofhishotels.HerecountedthegreattroublehehadtakentopersuadeaJapanese-AustraliancheffromSydneytosetupthisrestaurant.Aarently,thechef'sSydneyrestaurantisverypopular.Youhavetobookatabletwotothreemonthsahead.LengBengenttwoyearswooingthechefbeforesucceeding.Manyothersuitorshadfailed.Thechefisveryparticular.Everythingmustbeexactlyright.HedelayedtheopeningofLengBeng'srestaurantbymorethanamonthbecausehewasnothaywiththedecorandservice.Heevencheckedthetoiletsandfoundthemnotuptohisstandard.LengBenghadtoredothedecorandthetoilets.ThechefservesFrench-Japanesefusioncuisine.Wehadeightcourses.Eachdishwasexquisite,beautifullypresentedanduniquelyflavoured.Aftertheeightcoursesthough,1didnotfeelfulllikeIwouldafteraChinesemeal.WhenIdescribedmyexperiencetomyPrincipalPrivateSecretary,hesaid,"Ah,theFrenchcallit,'MenuDegustation'."HehadstudiedinFrance.Heexplainedthata'MenuDegustation'wastoallowyoutoenjoydifferentflavoursandstylesofpreparationofmanysmalldishes,andnottostuffyou.SamGoiSamGoiofTeeYihJiaisanotherenterprisingSingaporean.TeeYihJiaistheworld'sleadingproducerofpopiahski,andhasthepotentialtobecomeanISC.Popiahskimaynotseemaglamorouslineofbusinetosomeofyou,butIamproudoftheinroadsSamhasmadeintheinternationalmarket.Itcouldbethestartofsomethingmuchbigger.Frompopiahski,Samwentontoproducerotiprata.1wassurprisedtolearnthathisrotipratasoldbetterinthewestthanintheeast.Somehow,hehasmanagedtopersuadeAmericaandEuropeatoeatthem,notwithcurry,butwithchickenandsaladlikeMexicantortillas.TortillasarelikeChineseringrolls.Samdidnotstopthere.Hewentontoidentifyasuitablefryingpanfortherotiprata.Nowhesellsbothrotiprataandrotipratafryingpa.SamwasinmydelegationtotheCzechRepublic.IteasedhimwhetherhehadsoldanypopiahskiandrotipratatotheCzechs.Helaughed.Hewasnottryingtosellthemany.Itead,hewastheretorecruitamasterbeerbrewer.1didnotknowthathehadgoneintothebeerbusineandthatheownedabreweryinChina.SamexplainedthattheCzechswerefamousfortheirbeers,particularlyPilerbeer.Theyhaveverygoodbrewers.SamdidfindamasterbrewerandwasabletopersuadethebrewertogotoChinatorunhisbrewery.WeneedmoreSamGoisandKwekLengBengs.GOVERNMENT'SROLEINENTERPRISINGSINGAPOREMTIisre-engineeringTDBtowidenitsfocus,frompromotingtradetohelpingSingapore-basedcompaniesinternationaliseandgrowintheglobalmarket.Inshort,TDBwillfocusongrowingSingapore'sexternalwing.Thatsaid,let'smakethisclear.TheGovernmentcanhelp,andcancreateanenvironmentthatisconducivetobusineandenterprise.Butitcaotcreatesuccefulbusineesbydecree.Indeed,topromoteenterprise,theGovernmentshouldintervenele,notmore,inthemarket.AbusinewhichdependsontheGovernmenttoprotectitsmarketorsuidiseitsoperatio,caotbeviableinthelongrun.Asuccefulbusinehastoflourishinafreemarket.Itmustmakeagenuineprofitbybeingmoreefficientandiovativethanitscompetitors,andbyproducingsomethingwhichitscustomersneed,betterandcheaperthanothers.ARISK-TAKINGCULTUREUltimately,howsuccefulweareincreatinganenterprisingSingaporewilldependontherisk-takingprofileofSingaporea.RewardsforSucceThewillingnetotakerisksdependsontheeconomicandsocialenvironment.Weshouldstrengthentheincentivesforpeopletoventureforthinthehopeofectacularsucce,ratherthantochooseasafepathandminimisetheriskoffailure.Singaporeahavetodiscardthemindsetofseekingsecurejo.Itead,weshouldalsocelebratethosewhohavethegumptiontotrytheirhandsatbusine.Weneedtoincreasetherewardsforsucce.Akeyrequirementistokeepourtaxratesaslowaspoible.OnereasontheUShasamoreentrepreneurialculturethanEuropeisthatitstaxratesarelower,soitspeoplewhobuildcompanieshavemorehopetobecomebillionaires.InEurope,ifyourbusineproers,40ormoreofthewealththatyoucreategoestothestateintaxes.Sotheincentivetotakerisksandsloghardtobuildacompanyisweaker.CelebratingSucceSocialattitudestoo,affecthowwillingSingaporeaaretotakerisks.Weshouldnotresentbusinemenwhomakeitbig.ThisisanotherdifferencebetweentheUSandEurope.InsomeEuropeancountrieswithstrongegalitarianvalues,apersonwhobecomesveryrichisfrowneduponbysociety,evenifhehasmadehismoneyhonestly.ButintheUS,SteveJoandBillGatesarefolkheroes.SingaporeisamoreegalitariansocietythantheUS.Butwetooshouldcheeronourentrepreneurs,sothattheywillcreatemorewealthforthemselvesandforSingapore.AcceptingFailureWehavetochangeanotherattitude.Wefindithardtoacceptfailure.Wedonotgiveenoughcredittothosewhotry,failandgetuptotryagain.Weshouldnotlookatthisintermsofforgiveneandtolerance,butintermsofadmirationandreectforriskandenterprise,andresilienceandtenacityinthefaceofadversityandfailure.Perhabecauseofourdoggedpursuitofexcellence,orbecausewearesuchasmallsocietythateveryoneknowseveryoneelse,somebodywhohasfailedfindsitdifficulttostartafresh.Butwhateverthereason,wemustgiveasecond,athirdandfurtherchancetothosewhohavefailed,provideditwasanhonestfailure.IOVATIONWeneedalsotofosteracultureofiovation.Thisisthethirdlegofourneweconomicstrategy.Efficiencyisimportant.Butitcanbeeasilymatchedbyothers,anddoesnotprovideasustainedadvantageincompetitivene.Intheglobalisedeconomythatpermitsrapidreadoftechnologyatlowcost,efficiencyisonlyanentry-levelrequirement.Iovationandimaginationgiveaneconomyoracompanythatextraedge.Today,wealthisgeneratedbynewideas,morethanbyimprovingtheideasofothers.oradiciovationbyafewSingaporecompaniesandthepublicsectorisnotgoodenough.Theiovativeiritmustpermeateourwholesociety.Thequestionishowtocreateanenvironmentthatencouragesmanyofustobecomeiovators.Byiovators,Imeanapeoplewhosemindsarealwayslookingfornewideasandnewwaysofdoingthings,notsimplycopyingwhatothershaveinvented.Forthis,weneednon-conformistthinking.Letmegiveyouanexampleofnon-conformistthinking.IhaenedtotuneintotheContheeveofNationalDay.TherewasaninterviewwithaformerAmerican-ChineseTVpresenterturnedentrepreneur.ThisladyentrepreneurhasproducedarangeofcosmeticproductstailoredforAsianwomen.SheexplainedthatAsianwomenhavedifferentfeaturesanddifferentskincolouring,socosmeticsmeantforCaucasianwomendonotsuitthem.Forexample,whenAsianwomenuseapink-basedfoundation,theylookasiftheyarewearingamask.Also,Caucasianwomengenerallyhavemoreprominentnoses,sotheircosmeticsseektomaketheirnosesleprominent.Ontheotherhand,Asianwomengenerallyhavesmallnoses,sotheyneedtousecosmeticstomaketheirnosesmoreprominent.Otherwise,shesaid,'Youwouldnotevenseeanoseontheirface!'Thiswomandidnotsimplycopyothers.Aconformistwouldhavedonethat,andsimplymanufacturedandsoldwestern-basedcosmeticsintheAsianmarket.Itead,shethoughtout-of-thebox,hopingtohitthejackpot.IamalsoimpreedbytheiovativeiritofourNationalLibrary.Itcollaboratedwiththeprivatesectortodesignanddevelopasystemtotrackthemovementoflibrarybooks,soastocutdownthetimevisitorsendqueuingtocheckinandcheckoutbooks.Thebooksareimplantedwithamicrochipwhichemitsradiowaves.Toborrowabook,youputitonapadattheself-checkmachines,andthebookisregisteredasborrowed.Therearehardlyanymorequeues.Returningthebookisalsoabreeze.Yousimplyslidethebookdownabook-dropchute,anditisregisteredasreturned.OurNationalLibrarywasthefirstlibraryintheworldtousethistechnology.Ithaspatentedtheinvention.NATIONALIOVATIONCOUNCILIronically,tochangemindsetsinoursociety,atop-downaroachseemsunavoidable.ButIamclearinmymindthattheGovernmentcanonlystimulateandencourageyoutobeiovative.Itisnotpoibletodirectanddrivethepopulationtobecomeiovative.Earlierthisyear,IinvitedProfeorGaryHamel,amanagementcoultant,toconductaseminaroniovationforMinistersandtopcivilservants.Theseminarhasgeneratedsomegoodideasonhowwecanencourageamoreiovativesociety.IintendtosetupaNationalIovationCounciltopushalongthischangeinthethinkingofourpeople.LimHngKiang,whoismakingseveraliovativechangesintheHealthMinistry,willchairthisCouncil.STRUCTURALADJUSTMENTOurfourththrustistomakefurtherstructuraladjustmentstooureconomy.OPENINGUP Ihavemetpeoplewhohavebeenpersonallyaffectedbyoureconomicrestructuring.Somearefriendsandrelatives.Remisiers'commiiohavebeencut.Banktellersarecompetingwithiuranceagentstoselliurancepoliciesandunittrusts.Manybankemployeesarefearfulofbeingretrenchedbecauseofbanksmerging.Iunderstandyourdistreoverthedismantlingofprotectiveregimes.ButIhopeyouwillunderstandthattheGovernmenthastolookatthelargerpicture.Wehavetocoiderthetectonicchangesunderway,andworkoutastrategicreoetosecurethelong-termproerityofSingaporea.Thestatusquoisnotsustainable.EveniftheGovernmentdoesnothing,themarketwilleventuallybringaboutpainfulchanges.Wecandelaytheadjustment,butthefinalresultwillbeworse.Itisfarbetterforustoacceptrealityandgowiththeforcesofchange,andnottoresistthem.Ifyouwatchboxing,youwillknowwhatImean.Theboxerwhosticksouthisjawiteadofrollingwiththepunchwillbeknockedoutinnotime.EXPORTSECTOR Torestructureoureconomy,wehavetoenhancethecompetitiveneofbothourexportsectorandourdomesticsector.Ourexportsectorhasbeensteadilytraformedovertheyears.Wehaveshiftedtowardsnew,highervalue-addedmanufacturing,aslower-endproductionmovedoffshore.10yearsago,coumerelectronicsstillaccountedfor14ofourelectronicsproduction.Now,itisdowntoonly2,havingbeenreplacedbythesemiconductorindustry.Andtheremaining2ofcoumerelectronicsisnolongerradiosorVCRs,butexcitingnewproductslikedigitalTVandDVDplayers.Soon,itwillbewirelealicatiothatallowyourhomealiancestotalktooneanother.Wemustacceleratetheupgradingofourmanufacturingsector,orwewillbehollowedout.Ourhightechindustriesmustgoevenhighertech.Forexample,wemustbeabletoproducemoresophisticatedsemiconductors,anddesignthechi.NEWCAPABILITIES Inaddition,wehavetobuildupnewcapabilitiesinIT,lifesciencesandotherhighvalue-addedactivities.Lifesciences,eeciallybio-medicalsciences,aresaidtobethethirdtechnologicalrevolutionafterthesteamengineandthecomputer.Togiveyouanideaofthepotentialoflifesciences,justlookatthemanydifferentwayspeoplemakebabiesnowadays.Mostmakethemintheusualway,thewaymarriedcouplesdo.Afewmakebabiesintesttubes.Someusesurrogatemothers.Now,IreadthatAustralianresearchersaretryingtomakebabiesfromthecellsoftwowomen.Theyhaveshownthatbabymicecanbeproducedfromthecellsoffemalemicewithoutanymalecontributionwhatsoever.Iftheysucceedinalyingthistechnologytohuma,willourwomenstillneedus?Wemusthaveapieceoftheaction,perhanotinfindingnewwaysofmakingbabies,butinfindingnewcuresfordiseases.DOMESTICSECTOREvenaswepromoteexports,wemustnotneglectourdomesticsector.WeshouldseehowwecanmakethedomesticsectorasefficientastheexportsectordrivenbyMNCs.Theproductivityofourdomesticsector,whetherincotructionorretailorhoitality,islow.Thisisaseveredragonournationalproductivity.Ifyouhavevisitedthedevelopedcountries,youwouldhavenoticedtheirsuperiorservicestandardsandproductivity.Yes,thereareoutstandingexceptioinSingaporelikeRobio.Buttheyaretheexceptionratherthantherule.Yearsago,ItookataxiinParisfromtheairporttothehotel.Whenthetaxiarrivedatthehotel,thedrivergotoutandcarriedmyheavyluggageoutoftheboot.Iwasastounded.Thedriverwasawoman.ChongLitCheong,CEOofJTC,relatedthatwhenheandhiswifewereinHongkongrecently,hiswifehadtopickupfromastore,abagshehadalreadypaidfor.Shetelephonedthestoretoaskthemtogetherbagready.Thesalesgirlnotonlygotthebagready,butwenttheextramile.ShewaitedoutsideatthetaxistandtohandthebagtoLitCheong'swife,thussavingherthetroubleofgettingoutofthetaxi!IwouldliketoseesuchlevelsofcustomerserviceinSingapore.WhenProfeorMichaelPorterwashereearlierthismonth,hepointedoutthatunleourdomesticsectorwasefficient,ouroveralleconomycouldnotachievehighproductivity.Exportbusineesandcoumersalikewouldhavetopayhighercostsforinefficientlocalservices.HecitedJapanasanexamplewhereaweakdomesticsectorhadadverselyaffectedtheexportsector.We,therefore,havetoopenupourservicessectorfurther,toimproveitsefficiency.Wearealreadydoingthisforfinance,telecommunicatioandpowergeneration.Atthesametime,wewillhelpourdomesticsectortoupgrade,eeciallytheSMEs.hasprogrammestoimprovetheirproductivity.Forexample,foralongtime,thecleaningindustrysufferedfromlowproductivityandapoorimage.Now,isworkingwiththeindustrytoupgradeskillsandperformancestandards.IthassetupaCentreforCleaningTechnology.Thereisalsomuchroomforretailerstoupgradethemselves.Retailersshouldparticipateinprogrammessuchasfranchising,economicgroupingandsharedservices.Theseprogrammeshelpthemadoptmodernmanagementpracticesandbusinemodels.HUMANCAPITAL Ourhumanresourceislimited.Wehavetomaximiseourlocalpotentialandtopitupfromtheoutside.Thisisthefifththrustofournewgrowthstrategy.EDUCATIONAtlastyear'sRally,Ipledgedtoincreaseendingoneducationby$1.5billionayear(from3.6ofGDPto4.5).Inparticular,theGovernmentwillimprovepost-secondaryeducationoortunitiesforourchildren.First,ITEwillregroupitscurrent10campusesintothreeregionalcampusesoverthenext15years.Thelargercampuseswillallowafullrangeofcoursestobeoffered,andprovideoortunitiesforcro-disciplinarylearning.Studentscanalsolookforwardtobetterortsandrecreationalfacilities.Thefirstnewfullyintegratedcampuswillbereadyby2005.Secondly,wehavedecidedtobuildafifthpolytechnic.Itwillopenitsdoorsin2003.Thirdly,wewillbuildthreenewJuniorCollegesinthenextthreeyears.ThiswillbringthetotalnumberofJuniorCollegesto19.Fourthly,wewillexpandtheuniversitysector.Today,oneinfivePrimaryOnestudentseventuallygoesontoalocaluniversity.Weaimtoimprovethistooneinfourby2010.Thismearaisingthecurrentaualuniversityintakeby4,000students.ButNUSandNTUarealreadyasbigastheyshouldbe.TheSingaporeManagementUniversity,orSMU,willincreaseitsstudentintaketillitreachesitstargetenrolment.FurtherexpaionofNUS,NTUandSMUisnotdesirable.AcommitteeheadedbyPeterChenhasofferedpreliminaryideasforafourthuniversity.Idonotwanttoprejudgeitsrecommendatio,butinprinciple,Isuortafourthuniversityifitsgraduatescanmeetthestandardsdemandedbytheeconomy.LIFELONGLEARNINGTheGovernmentwilldomoretoenhancetheskillsofordinaryworkers.WehavedoubledtheLifelongLearningFundfrom$500millionto$1billionsinceApril.Thisyear,theGovernmentwillgiveaddedemphasistoprogrammestohelpolderandlower-educatedworkers.Executives,managers,engineersandotherprofeionalsmayhavetoberetrainedtoo,sothattheycanmoveintonewgrowthareas.Weshallstudyhowthiscanbedone.GLOBALTALENTWecanendmoreoneducationandtraining.Buttherealityisthatnomatterhowmuchweend,withapopulationofjustoverthreemillion,wewillnothaveenoughlocaltalenttocompeteinthetopleagueofnatio.DidyouwatchTeamSingaporeplayManchesterUnited?Ifyoudid,youwouldhaveagoodideaofthebiggapbetweenourstandardsandinternationalstandards.TeamSingaporeplayedwellbutitwasnomatchforManUbecauseManUwasreallyaninternationalandnotaBritishteam.MahBowTantoldmethatabouthalftheManUteamwerenon-British.HeaddedthatManUwasonlyplayingathalfpace.Otherwise,thescorelinemightwellhavebeen16-l!Arecentarticlebythenewaper,"TheAustralian",commentedhowcorporateSingaporewascontrolledtightlybyasmallgroupofpeople.ThesamefewSingaporeaareontheboardsofmanycompaniesandGovernmentStatutoryBoards.Thejournalistdidnotknowtherealreason.Thetruthis,wedonothaveenoughcorporatetalenttodrawon.Hence,somanydemandingjofallontheshouldersofthesamefewpeople.Wehavegoodlocaltalent,butweneedtotopitupwithglobaltalent.OthersAreRecruitingTalentTooWearenottheonlyonestohaveconcludedthatglobaltalentiseential.Australiarecentlyenlargeditsimmigrationprogrammetobringinabout45,000skilledmigrantsayear.AndJapanisfinalisingablueprinttoimportatleast30,000ITprofeionalsinthenextfiveyears.TheUSeconomyhasdoneimmeelywellbecauseitenjoysa"braingain"yearafteryear.Forexample,onequarterofthecompaniesinSiliconValleyarecreatedbyorledbyIndianandChineseimmigrants.Also,since1945,theUShaswon60(228)ofalltheNobelPrizesineconomicsandthesciences.Atleast30oftheseeconomistsandscientistswerebornoutsidetheUS.AttractingMulti-NationalTalentThatiswhywehavetobringinmulti-nationaltalent,likethewaywebroughtinMNCs.LikeMNCs,multi-nationaltalent,orMNTs,willbringinnewexpertise,freshideasandglobalcoectioandperectives.IbelievethattheywillproducelastingbenefitsforSingapore.ThecompetitionforMNTsisintee.JustasweuseincentivestoattractMNCs,wemayneedtocoiderecialmeasurestoattractMNTs.RetainingSingaporeTalentButthewarfortalentisnotjustaboutattractingforeigners.Retainingourowntalentisgoingtoproveabigchallenge.BrightSingaporeaarebeingharvestedbyothersevenbeforetheygraduate.YeoCheowTongtoldmethatJPMorgan,aleadingWallStreetinvestmentbank,recruitedhisdaughterbeforesheevenstartedherfinalyearinatopUSuniversity.Uponjoiningthebankaftergraduation,shewasaignedtoacorporatefinanceteamthatexecutesbillion-dollarprojects.Apartfromthepay,suchafirstjobexcitedandchallengedher.IaskedCheowTongwhetherhisdaughterwouldcomebacktoSingapore.Hecouldonlysay,"Ihopeso."Ihopesotoo.IhopethedaughterofMrAbdulRashidGani,ManagingPartnerinthelawfirmofKhattarWong&amPartners,willcomebacktoo.ShewasoneofthetopstudentsinCornellUniversity.Duringherfinalyear,threetopfinancialititutioinNewYorkwooedher.TheyflewhertoNewYork,putherupinfirstclahotelsandtookherouttofinerestaurants.SheisnowworkingforCreditSuieFirstBostoninNewYork.GreenharvestingofbrightstudentsisacommonpracticeinAmerica.Itshowshowhardtopcompaniestrytorecruittoptalent.WemaylosemanySingaporeathisway.Othersmallcountriesfacesimilarproblemsretainingtalent.NewZealandisagoodexample.ManyNewZealandersworkoverseas,inAustralia,BritainortheUS.SomanyNewZealandershaveemigratedthatnewaperswriteabout"theflightoftheKiwis",eventhoughKiwiscaotfly.Recently,aneminentprofeorfromtheLondonSchoolofEconomics,ProfeorRobertWade,okeataconferenceinAuckland.Hesaid:"Onceathresholddeityofskilledpeopleislost,therateofout-migrationislikelytoaccelerate,companiesandorganisatiowillhaveincreasingtroublemeetingstaffingneeds,thequalityofpublicserviceswilldecline,thetaxbasewillerode,andsoon."ProfeorWadealsookeofhowoverseasTaiwaneseandKoreaareofferedcoiderableincentivesandsuidiesbytheirgovernmentstoreturnhome.EvenChinaisnowdoingthis.HowmuchmorecriticalmustitbeforSingaporetoattracttalentfromaroundtheworldandtoretainourtalent?Inthenextfewmonths,asoureconomyslowsdownandunemploymentincreases,someSingaporeamayagainquestiontheneedformoreglobaltalent.Iurgeyoutounderstandthatthisisamatteroflifeanddeathforusinthelongterm.Ourowntalentisbeingcreamedoff.Ifwedonottopupourtalentpoolfromoutside,in10years'time,manyofthehigh-valuedjowedonowwillmigratetoChinaandelsewhere,forlackofsufficienttalenthere.SoitisbetterforustoanchortalentsandjoinSingaore,andmakeourimportdtalentfeelwelcomeaspartoftheSingaporeteam.SOCIALANDPOLITICALENVIRONMENTWewillcreateasocialandpoliticalmilieuwhichisconducivetooureffortstocreateanenterprisingandiovativesociety.Thismeahavingthefreedomtomakepersonalchoices,andtobedifferent.Youngpeopleeecially,oftenwanttobenon-conformist.Wecanacceptthat,withinlimitsofdecencyofdecorum.WedonotexpecteverySingaporeantodreandbehavethesame.Beyonddreingdifferently,manySingaporea,inparticular,theyoung,wanttohavemoresayinthewaySingaporeisrun.Wehaveallowedfreerexpreionofdivergentpoliticalviews,solongasthisdoesnotcompromiselawandorder,nationalsecurityandnationalinterests.WehavesetupaeakersCorner.SingaporeahaveformeddiscuiongroulikeTheRoundTableandThinkCentretodiscupoliticaliues.Intheiritofdiscuion,theGovernmentwillfromtimetotimedisagreepubliclywiththeirviews.Itsurelycaotautomaticallyaccepteverythingthattheysay,norshoulditsimplyignorewhattheysay.IftheGovernmentthinksthatsomethingtheysaidwillhurtSingapore,ithastorebutthem,ifneceary,forcefully.ButthisshouldnotbeseenastheGovernmentsmotheringfreeexpreion.TheGovernmentwillnotregardyouasanoonentunleyouchoosetobeone.TheRoundTableisnotanoonent.ButtheThinkCentreisopenlycriticaloftheGovernment.Itisone-sidedinitspresentationofarticlesandviews,andtheGovernmentcaotignorethis.Iknowsomepeoplewantevengreaterfreedom.Butwherepoliticsisconcerned,Iprefertoeaseupslowlyratherthanopenupwithabigbang.WhenGorbachevopeneduptheSovietUnionwithhis'Glaost',theSovietUnioncollaedwithabigbang.Weshould,therefore,pumptheairintothepoliticalballoonslowly.Idon'tintendtochangemynameto'GohBaChev!NEWSOCIALCOMPACTIntheNewEconomy,competitionwillbecomeincreasinglyfierce,Thepaceofchangecanbeuettling.Thesocialframeworkwehavedevelopedtohelpthosewhocaotkeepupisgenerallysound.Butweneedtoimproveit,sothatwewillholdtogetherasanationdeitethemoreinteepaceoflifeandthewideningincomegap.IwanttooutlinehereanewsocialcompactforSingapore.First,wewillcontinuetosuidiseheavilythethreebasicservicesofhousing,educationandhealthcare.NoSingaporeanwillbedeprivedofthesethreeservicesnomatterhowpoorheis.Secondly,inyearsofgoodeconomicgrowth,wewilldistributepartofthebudgetsurplusesbacktoSingaporea,toenhancetheiraetsaswellastohelpthemdefrayeentialexpees,suchastheiramCandutilitycharges.Thirdly,wewillpayparticularattentiontotheneedsoflower-incomeSingaporea.Thisisalreadybeingdoneforsuidiesforbasicservicessuchashealthcareandhousing.Also,lastyear,whenwetoedupyourCPF,wegavelower-incomeSingaporeamore.Thispolicyofgivingmoretolower-incomeSingaporeaisright.ThehigherincomeSingaporeaowetheirsucceinparttotheotherswhosuortoursocialcompact.Theymust,therefore,bepreparedtolendahelpinghandtothoseamonguswhoarenotsowelloff.Onlythencanweremainacohesiveandstablesociety.Itcaotbeeverymanforhimself.Forapersontosucceed,heneedsalaunch-padfromsociety.Inturn,lower-incomeSingaporeamustsuorttheenterpriseandeffortsofthosewhohavetheability.Wemustnotresentthosewhocreatewealth,forthemselvesandforSingapore.TheGovernment,onitspart,willeurethateverySingaporeanhasequalandmaximumoortunitytoadvancehimself,whileprovidingasocialsafetynettopreventtheminoritywhocaotcope,fromfailingthrough.Thisway,wecanhaveanenduringsocialcompactwheretheablecandoverywell,andwecanusesomeofthewealthgeneratedbythemtosuidiseandhelptheleable.CHARITY,PHILANTHROPYANDVOLUNTEERISMButSingaporeamustnotleavethetaskofhelpingtheweakentirelytotheGovernment.Ifwearetobuildacohesivesociety,individualsmustformlastingtieswiththeirlargercommunity.TofeelpaionatelyaboutSingaporeistocareaboutmorethanjustthosethingsthatdirectlyaffectourfamilies,ourfriends,andourselves.ItistobestronglycommittedtothewellbeingofourfellowSingaporea,andtoshowcompaiontothosewhoareweakerthanourselves.TheGovernmentwillcreateanevenmorefavourableenvironmentfortheinvolvementofthepeopleandcorporatesectorsincharity,philanthropyandvolunteerism.Amongotherinitiatives,theGovernmentwillgrantItitutionofPublicCharacter(IPC)statustoprivatefoundatiothatsuortcharitableactivities.IhavealsoaskedRichardHutocoidergivingincreasedtaxdeductionfordonatiotoIPCs,ifpoible,doubletaxdeduction.PRESERVINGOURRESERVESLetmestrethatmyGovernmentwillcarryoutthissocialcompactusingbudgetsurplusesthatthisGovernmenthasaccumulated.Ihavenointentionofdiingintoourreserves,asChiamSeeTonghassuggestedtheGovernmentshoulddo.Rather,mypolicyistoeurethatourreservescontinuetogrowyearafteryear.Whensomecountriesrunintoeconomicdifficulty,theycanpumpmoreoilfromtheiroilfields,orcutdownmoretimber.Wehavenooilfields,notimber,nonaturalresourcestofallbackon.Wecanonlydependonourreserves.Theyareourequivalentof"naturalresources".Assuch,wemustguardthemzealouslyforuseonlyinasevereandprolongedcrisis.Whileourreservesarelockedup,aproportionoftheincomefrominvestingourreservesgoesintoourbudgetsurplus.Itisbecausewehaveprotectedthesereservesinthepastthatweenjoyacomfortablebudgetsurplusevenduringthiscurrentslowdown,whichwecanusetohelpSingaporeacopewiththeslowdown.ChiamSeeTongarguesthatSingaporewillnotgobankruptbyusing"atinyfraction"ofourreserves.Thisisaveryseductiveline.Seductive,butextremelydangerousforthepeoplebeingseduced.Whatheisarguingforisforustoslowlykillthegoosewhichgivesusgoldeneggs.First,pluckoffsomeofitsfeatherstokeepuswarm.Next,sincethisdoesnotkillthegoose,MrChiamwillsuggestthatweshouldsliceoffjustonedrumsticktoeaseourhunger.MyGovernment'sphilosophy,ontheotherhand,istoprotectthepreciousgoose-ourreserves-andfattenit.Itwillthenlaygoldeneggs,someofwhichcanbeusedtohelpSingaporeaduringdifficulttimes,andsomekeptforhatchingmoregeese.IfwehadfollowedMrChiam'sadvicetonileatourgooseeverytimethereisaneconomicdownturn,wewouldhavecookedourowngoosebynow.SoIdonotintendtodipintoourreservestotacklethiscurrentdownturn.RACE,LANGUAGEANDRELIGION Foraneffectivesocialcompact,weneedalsoapeoplethatarebondedtoeachotheracrorace,languageandreligiouslines.Religiousfaithisasourceofstrengthinasociety.WecanbegoodChristia,Buddhists,MuslimsorHindusandbepatrioticSingaporeaatthesametime.Thereisnocontradictionbetweenthetwo.Butweshouldnotchangelong-establishedpracticesthatwillleadtosegregationbetweentheraces,ormakeitmoredifficultforanyonecommunitytointegratewiththerestofoursociety.Letmeemphasisethatwewantintegration,notaimilation.Integrationisagradual,continuousproce.Wewanttobondthedifferentpiecesofmosaictogether.Bondingistheresultofmutualtrustandunderstanding.Theprocecaotbeforced,becausemutualtrustandunderstandingcaotbeforced.HELPINGTHELEABLENoteveryoneintheSingaporeMountEverestteammadeittothesummit.Onlythestrongermembersdid.However,theothersgavecriticalback-upsuortfromthelowercam.Itwasverymuchateameffort.Likewise,inoursociety,noteveryoneofuswillbecometopincomeearners.ButwemustofferSingaporeawhofallbehindaseeofhope,forthemselvesandeeciallyfortheirchildren.Otherwise,theywillbecomedisaffectedanddisenchanted,whichwillsourthesocialclimate,anddisruptoureconomicprogre.Wewillhelpeveryoneofyougoashighupasyoucan.AndeverySingaporeanwillshareinandbenefitfromtheteam'ssucce.Indeed,thestrengthofasocietyismeasuredbythecompaionandcareitsmembershaveforeachother.Themembersmustknowthatiftheyareeverdown,otherswillhelpthemgetup.Iftheycaotturntothemoreableforhelpinadversity,thenthebondsthatholdustogetherwillap.Oursocietywilldisintegrate.DISINCENTIVESTOWORKInsharingthefruitsofSingapore'sgrowth,however,wemustnotinadvertentlycreatedisincentivesforSingaporeatotakepersonalreoibilitytofendforthemselves.Otherwise,webuildupacrutchmentality,whichwillleadtoindolence,dependenceandabuse.HengCheeHow,whowillbeourcandidateinJalanBesarGRC,toldmethisstory.WhenhewascoveringHougangsomeyearsago,hehandedoutcashtoneedycotituents.Hehandedout$200toasmartlydreedyoungmanwhohadjustlosthisjob.ThemantoldCheeHow,"Youknow,the$200yougavemeisnotevenenoughtomeetthemortgagepaymentonmycar".CheeHowsaidthathefeltlikepunchingtheyoungmanintheface.Letmegiveyouanotherexampleofhowsuidiescanbetakenforgranted-utilityrebates.Inthelastthreeyears,HDBhouseholdshaveseentheirmonthlyutilitybillsincreasebyabout25to35.Therearetworeasoforthis.First,electricitytariffshavegoneup,becausetheworldpriceoffueloilusedforpowergenerationhasnearlydoubled.Secondly,Singaporeaareusingmoreelectricity.Doyourealisethatifyouturnonyourair-conditionereverynight,itwillcostyouabout$23amonth?Ifyouusewaterheatersiteadofbathingincoldwater,thatwillcostafamily$15extraamonthinelectricity.Wecaotcapelectricitypricesassomepeoplehavesuggested.Thatwouldmeandirectlysuidisingthecoumptionofelectricity,andwouldleadtoovercoumption.Sowedecidedtohelphouseholds,eeciallylower-incomehouseholds,throughrebatescreditedtotheirutilitybills.Thisway,ifhouseholdsuseleelectricity,therebateisstilltheirstokeep.OuraroachwastohelpSingaporeacopewithincreasesintheirutilitybillswhileencouragingthemtosaveandnotover-coume.Iam,however,worriedthatutilityrebateswillbetakenforgranted.Toillustratemypoint,afterweintroducedUtilitiesSavelastyear,doyouknowhowmanythank-youletters1receivedfromthepublic?Onlyone!However,1receivemanyletters-ofcomplaintsonvariousiues.ItshowsthatmanySingaporeatakegoodgovernmentforgranted!文秘114版权所有Iamconcernedaboutthenegativelong-termeffectsoftoocomfortableasafetynetontheattitudeofSingaporea.Butintheneweconomicenvironment,wedoneedtodomoretosuortlower-incomeSingaporea.Hence,1amproposingthenewsocialcompact,aftermuchdeliberation.Weneedtostrikeacarefulbalancebetweenhelpinglower-incomeSingaporea,andnotcreatingadependencymentalityamongourpeople.THEELDERLYANDTHESINGLESIhaveaskedtheMinisterstotakeahardlookatthekeyareaswheregrouofSingaporeaneedecialattention.Onesuchgroupisourseniorcitize.Theirbiggestconcernismedicalcare.Toaddrethisconcern,theGovernmentwillintroducethreeinitiatives.Theseare:medicalcareforelderlySingaporeasufferingfromchronicailmentssuchasdiabetenhancingMedishieldbenefitandanew"Eldershield"schemetoprovideiuranceagaitseverephysicaldisabilities.LimHngKiangwillaouncethedetailsoftheseinitiativeslater.AnothergrowinggroupofSingaporeawhorequiresomeattentionarethesingles.Oneoftheirmainconcerishousing.HDBwillnowallowthoseaged35andabovetopurchaseresale3-roomflatsinurbanestates.HDBisalsocoideringstudioapartments,earlierconceivedforelderlySingaporea,asanotherhousingoptionforsingles.CPFTOP-UPAtlastyear'sRally,IaouncedaCPFtop-upofbetween$500and$1,700foreacheligibleSingaporean,tobegivenoutintwoequalpayments.ThefirstpaymentwasgiveninJanuarythisyear.WewillmakethesecondpaymentinDecember.Iwastoldthat187,000eligibleSingaporeamiedoutonthefirstpayment.Thisisapity.IwanttogivetheseSingaporeaasecondchancetoqualify.Iftheycontributetheminimum$100totheCPFby31October,wewillgivethemboththefirstandsecondpaymentsfortheCPFtop-up."NEWSINGAPORE"SHARES Iwouldalsoliketointroduceanewschemetohelpeeciallylewell-offSingaporea.Iintendtogiveyoushareswhichpayaguaranteeddividendforafixednumberofyears,plusbonuspaymentswhentheeconomydoeswell.Theseshareswillalsoberedeemableimmediatelyforcash,butnotallatonce.Iwillcallthisscheme"NewSingapore"Shares.Iknowyouarewaitingtohearhowmuchyouwillbegiven,butpleasebepatient.Howmuchtowhom,andwhen,willdependonthestateoftheeconomythisyear.IwanttoseethethirdquarterresultsbeforeIdecide.CONCLUSION Forourgrowthstrategyandsocialcompacttobeeffective,Singaporemustbecohesiveasanation.Asglobalisationinteifies,thiswillbecomeevenmorecritical.MoreandmoreSingaporeawillgooverseastostudy,workanddobusine.Wewelcomethis,butwemustalsofindwaystokeeptheirheartshere,sothatwherevertheyare,theywillfeelemotionallytiedtoSingapore,standupforit,andreturnonedaytocontributetoitsgrowth.SingaporeamustbelievethatthebuildingofSingaporeisanexcitingenterprise.ForSingaporetosurviveinthelongerterm,wemusthaveacoreofSingaporeawhofeelpaionatelythatthisplaceisworthfightingfor.Tosucceed,wemustbeproudofwhoweare,ofourcountryandourfellowcitize.Wemustfeelthattogether,wehavecreatedsomethingpreciousthatbelongstoallSingaporea.Throughoutworldhistory,nocountryhasremainedrichforever.Countriesgothroughacyclewheretheyarepoor,growproerousandpowerful,thenstarttodecline.Wehavebecomerichinonegeneration-amiracleperha-buttooquicklyandhencenotdeep-rootedenough.Willwedeclineinthenextgeneration?MycolleaguesandIaredeterminedthatwewillnot.ButweneedthiscoreofSingaporeawhofeelpaionatelyaboutourcountry.Weneedyoursuort.Inthisclimbupthemountainofeconomicdevelopment,wewillequipyoutotacklethenextotacleandtotryforthesummit.Butweneedalsotopullourslowercolleaguesalong,sothattheytoocangohigher.文秘114版权所有Ifwehavethecouragetoconfrontproblemsiteadofskirtingthem,ifwearepreparedtoenduretemporaryhardshi,andifwecanadapttochange,wecancontinuetodobetter.ThisNewSingapore-aglobalcitywithastrongsocialcompact-istheMountEverestwemustachieve.Wemustsucceed,sothatourchildrencanfacetomorrowwithoptimismandconfidence.--博才网
猜您还喜欢的文章
热点文章排行榜
读完这篇文章后,您心情如何?
您还有150字可以输入
更多资讯请点击&&&&&&
热门关键字:,,,,,
【打印文章】
真野惠里菜性感睡衣诱惑
美国火辣女郎让军营沸腾
浙江农大女生集体穿热裤露脐装做广播操
嫩模团穿性感短裙在广场扮女警跳手枪舞
狂野非洲另一面:风沙中穿行的狮子
[欧联杯]国米2-0卡拉巴赫高清图集
• 版权所有 Copyright 2011 All rights reserved.

我要回帖

更多关于 have no use for 的文章

随机推荐