She carried outherself...

Memorial Set for the Beloved and Graceful Kumu Hula Ellen Castillo | Hawaii Reporter
Welcome! Log into your account
Register for an account
Recover your password
Memorial Set for the Beloved and Graceful Kumu Hula Ellen Castillo
<span class="td-nr-views-8
Ellen Castillo
Ellen Castillo
BY MALIA ZIMMERMAN &#8211; A public memorial for Ellen Kuuleialohapoinaole Pukaikapuaokalani Castillo, a well-known Kumu Hula from Waimanalo, Oahu, has been set for Saturday, November 3, beginning at 9:30 a.m. at St. George’s Church in Waimanalo.
Castillo, who headed Pukaikapuaokalani Hula Halau for 50 years, taught thousands of girls and women a graceful hula style that she was known for.
An elegant, graceful and expressive dancer, Castillo studied under some of Hawaii’s most respected Na Kumu Hula including Aunty Bella Richards and Aunty Lani Kalama.
While her studio was in Kailua, Castillo also taught in schools in Waimanalo and Kailua.
Castillo’s hula halau competed annually in the Merrie Monarch Hula Festival and the Miss Aloha Hula Contest in Hilo and the Queen Liliuokalani Keiki Hula Competition on Oahu.
Over the decades, she taught hula, Tahitian and other Polynesian dances to five generations of girls and women on Oahu’s windward side.
Many of her students returned years later with their daughters and granddaughters.
Carol Lehua Carvalho started dancing with Castillo at the age of 5 and has danced ever since. In 1986, Castillo gave Carvalho her blessing to start her own halau, Halau Hula Ka Ulu Pua &#8216;A&#8217;ala O Ka Lani.
“Even, after I started my halau, I would return to Ellen to continue dancing as she made me a better Kumu by constantly inspiring me with her graceful choreography that touched my heart, her passion for the art of hula that motivated me to learn more of the culture and her love for her haumana that taught me dedication to my students in and out of the classroom,” Carvalho said. “Due to the countless years of training and support of Aunty Ellen, I now touch over 375 students through Halau Hula &#8216;Iolani at &#8216;Iolani School and Halau Hula Ka Ulu Pua &#8216;A&#8217;ala O Ka Lani out of my home and at St. Anthony&#8217;s Parish in Kailua.”
Carvalho said Castillo was truly a gift and the women from the halau will continue to ensure the beauty and style she taught is well preserved.
Kumu Hula Ellen Castillo
Malia Cavaco Peters said Castillo taught so many valuable lessons including discipline.
“We were expected to come to hula ready to learn and ready to dance. Our feet needed to be clean, no chewing gum (and if we got caught she made us stick it on our nose for the entire practice)&#8230;you never did that again.
“She pushed us beyond what we thought we could do. Just when you thought you couldn&#8217;t bend your knees any lower, she would stand on our legs and make us do rolls on the ground to stretch us out.”
“She was so talented, teaching us auwana, kahiko, Tahitian, Maori and other dances.
“We did so many shows at various parties, luaus and other events so we had experience and were comfortable performing on stage.
“Aunty Ellen always taught us that even if we were a group of 25-30 girls, we should be dancing as one.
“Most importantly, she wanted us to express, express, express!
“That was so important to her and she could get the shyest of girls to get out of their comfort zone to express them self so beautifully. She was a second mother to us all.&#8221;
Verna Mokulehua, another of Castillo’s dancers, said Castillo was one of the most beautiful, graceful women she has ever met.
“Although I met her when I was young, and she was a strict hula teacher, I have always loved her because of her beauty, grace, stature, and the way that she carried herself. She was able to teach the sweet, graceful style of her Kumu, Aunty Bella Richards to many of us. I loved watching her dance through the mirrors in halau and till today can still hear her voice when I am dancing,” Mokulehua said.
“If I could&#8217;ve told Ellen something, before she left us to be with the Lord, I would say: ‘Thank you, Aunty Ellen for sharing your hula, your love, your gifts with us. You have left a legacy of dancers that will carry on your true love, the hula. …. May you be blessed from heaven knowing that your legacy lives.’”
Castillo’s halau was named for her grandmother, whose name “Pukaikapuaokalani” translates to &#8220;seashell flower of heaven.&#8221;
Castillo leaves behind her husband Henry, her sons Nolan, Derek and Keola, her daughter-in-laws Janice Shimizu and Raydean Hopu, as well as 11 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
Comments comments
Previous articleNext article
Malia Zimmerman is the editor and co-founder of Hawaii Reporter. She has worked as a consultant and contributor to several dozen media outlets including ABC 20/20, FOX News, MSNBC, the Wall Street Journal, UPI and the Washington Times. Malia has been listed as one of the nation’s top "Web Proficients, Virtuosi, and Masters" and "Hawaii's new media thought leader" by
Reach her at
Select Month
August 2016 &(32)
July 2016 &(37)
June 2016 &(35)
May 2016 &(34)
April 2016 &(30)
March 2016 &(16)
February 2016 &(26)
January 2016 &(42)
December 2015 &(17)
November 2015 &(10)
October 2015 &(6)
September 2015 &(3)
August 2015 &(7)
July 2015 &(7)
June 2015 &(4)
May 2015 &(10)
April 2015 &(4)
March 2015 &(9)
February 2015 &(17)
January 2015 &(54)
December 2014 &(41)
November 2014 &(70)
October 2014 &(116)
September 2014 &(148)
August 2014 &(186)
July 2014 &(180)
June 2014 &(210)
May 2014 &(183)
April 2014 &(165)
March 2014 &(160)
February 2014 &(122)
January 2014 &(205)
December 2013 &(175)
November 2013 &(161)
October 2013 &(234)
September 2013 &(135)
August 2013 &(164)
July 2013 &(187)
June 2013 &(188)
May 2013 &(179)
April 2013 &(300)
March 2013 &(255)
February 2013 &(239)
January 2013 &(272)
December 2012 &(258)
November 2012 &(275)
October 2012 &(330)
September 2012 &(235)
August 2012 &(248)
July 2012 &(244)
June 2012 &(228)
May 2012 &(270)
April 2012 &(262)
March 2012 &(293)
February 2012 &(218)
January 2012 &(242)
December 2011 &(195)
November 2011 &(241)
October 2011 &(257)
September 2011 &(215)
August 2011 &(226)
July 2011 &(216)
June 2011 &(235)
May 2011 &(233)
April 2011 &(228)
March 2011 &(292)
February 2011 &(227)
January 2011 &(271)
December 2010 &(264)
November 2010 &(282)
October 2010 &(317)
September 2010 &(315)
August 2010 &(232)
July 2010 &(239)
June 2010 &(303)
May 2010 &(222)
April 2010 &(14)
March 2010 &(511)
January 2010 &(486)
November 2009 &(447)
August 2007 &(48)
July 2007 &(217)
February 2007 &(169)
January 2007 &(203)
August 2006 &(171)
July 2006 &(303)
March 2006 &(39)
February 2006 &(179)
January 2006 &(194)
September 2005 &(75)
August 2005 &(231)
July 2005 &(192)
February 2005 &(115)
January 2005 &(178)
February 2004 &(202)
January 2004 &(204)
September 2003 &(487)
July 2003 &(252)
May 2003 &(35)
April 2003 &(241)
March 2003 &(242)
February 2003 &(182)
January 2003 &(428)
MORE STORIESShe carried herself very straightwhere two soldiers were waiting_百度知道
She carried herself very straightwhere two soldiers were waiting
f naphtha and coalgladness of spring that
提问者采纳
and had had some tea in the townto the grating from the other side
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
其他3条回答
he carried herself very straightwhere(我觉得这里好像是打错字了, straight where) two soldiers were waiting,应该分开了。翻译为:她直接来到两位士兵等待的地方
参考资料:
她直接来到有两个士兵把守的地方。
她把自己非常直接在两名士兵正在等待着。
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁She carried herself very straightwhere two soldiers were waiting_百度知道
She carried herself very straightwhere two soldiers were waiting
f naphtha and coalgladness of spring that
提问者采纳
of the roughly-paved streetThe old woman&#3俯丁碘股鄢噶碉拴冬茎9;s eyes vanished from the grating
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁一个小时的故事-英语点津
您现在的位置: > >
一个小时的故事
The story of an hour
大家都知道马兰德夫人的心脏有毛病,所以在把她丈夫的死讯告诉她时都是小心翼翼的,尽可能地温和委婉。坏消息是她的姐姐约瑟芬告诉她的,她连话都没说成句,只是遮遮掩掩地向她暗示。她丈夫的朋友理查兹也在场。当火车事故的消息传来的时候,理查兹正好在报社里,遇难者名单上布兰特雷·马兰德的名字排在第一个……
Knowing that Mrs. Mallard was afflicted with a heart trouble, great care was taken to break to her as gently as possible the news of her husband's death.
It was her sister Josephine who told her, in broken sentences, veiled hints that revealed in half concealing. Her husband's friend Richards was there, too, near her. It was he who had been in the newspaper office when intelligence of the railroad disaster was received, with Brently Mallard's name leading the list of "killed." He had only taken the time to assure himself of its truth by a second telegram, and had hastened to forestall any less careful, less tender friend in bearing the sad message.
She did not hear the story as many women have heard the same, with a paralyzed inability to accept its significance. She wept at once, with sudden, wild abandonment, in her sister's arms. When the storm of grief had spent itself she went away to her room alone. She would have no one follow her.
There stood, facing the open window, a comfortable, roomy armchair. Into this she sank, pressed down by a physical exhaustion that haunted her body and seemed to reach into her soul.
She could see in the open square before her house the tops of trees that were all aquiver with the new spring life. The delicious breath of rain was in the air. In the street below a peddler was crying his wares. The notes of a distant song which some one was singing reached her faintly, and countless sparrows were twittering in the eaves.
There were patches of blue sky showing here and there through the clouds that had met and piled above the other in the west facing her window.
She sat with her head thrown back upon the cushion of the chair, quite motionless, except when a sob came up into her throat and shook her, as a child who has cried itself to sleep continues to sob in its dreams.
She was young, with a fair, calm face, whose lines bespoke repression and even a certain strength. But now there was a dull stare in her eyes, whose gaze was fixed away off yonder on one of those patches of blue sky. It was not a glance of reflection, but rather indicated a suspension of intelligent thought.
There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. What was it? S it was too subtle and elusive to name. But she felt it, creeping out of the sky, reaching toward her through the sounds, the scents, the color that filled the air.
Now her bosom rose and fell tumultuously. She was beginning to recognize this thing that was approaching to possess her, and she was striving to beat it back with her will-as powerless as her two white slender hands would have been.
When she abandoned herself a little whispered word escaped her slightly parted lips. She said it over and over under her breath: "Free, free, free!" The vacant stare and the look of terror that had followed it went from her eyes. They stayed keen and bright. Her pulses beat fast, and the coursing blood warmed and relaxed every inch of her body.
She did not stop to ask if it were or were not a monstrous joy that held her. A clear and exalted perception enabled her to dismiss the suggestion as trivial.
She knew that she would weep again when she saw the kind, tender h the face that had never looked save with love upon her, fixed and gray and dead. But she saw beyond that bitter moment a long procession of years to come that would belong to her absolutely. And she opened and spread her arms out to them in welcome.
There would be no one to live for her durin she would live for herself. There would be no powerful will bending her in that blind persistence with which men and women believe they have a right to impose a private will upon a fellow-creature. A kind intention or a cruel intention made the act seem no less a crime as she looked upon it in that brief moment of illumination.
And yet she had loved him-sometimes. Often she had not. What did it matter! What could love, the unsolved mystery, count for in face of this possession of self-assertion, which she suddenly recognized as the strongest impulse of her being!
"Free! Body and soul free!" she kept whispering.
Josephine was kneeling before the closed door with her lips to the keyhole,imploring for admission. "Louise, open the door! I open the door-you will make yourself ill. What are you doing, Louise? For heaven's sake open the door."
"Go away. I am not making myself ill." No; she was drinking in a very elixir of life through that open window.
Her fancy was running riot along those days ahead of her. Spring days, and summer days, and all sorts of days that would be her own. She breathed a quick prayer that life might be long. It was only yesterday she had thought with a shudder that life might be long.
She arose at length and opened the door to her sister's importunities. There was a feverish triumph in her eyes, and she carried herself unwittingly like a goddess of Victory. She clasped her sister's waist, and together they descended the stairs. Richards stood waiting for them at the bottom.
Someone was opening the front door with a latchkey. It was Brently Mallard who entered, a little travel-stained, composedly carrying his gripsack and umbrella. He had been far from the scene of accident, and did not even know there had been one. He stood amazed at Josephine' at Richards' quick motion to screen him from the view of his wife.
But Richards was too late.
When the doctors came they said she had died of heart disease-of joy that kills.
&#160;&#160;
(英语点津姗姗编辑)
相关文章 Related Stories
48小时内最热门
本频道最新推荐

我要回帖

更多关于 carried out 的文章