SparkNotes: A Separate Peace: Chapter 8
& Chapter 8
Summary & AnalysisChapter 8
A Separate PeaceJohn Knowles
Chapter 8Chapters 6&7Chapter 8, page 2
page 1 of 2
Finny playfully criticizes Gene&s clothes and grumbles
about the lack of maid service. Gene responds that it is no great
loss, considering the war, and he makes up Finny&s bed for him.
The next day, Brinker bursts in, about to ask if Gene is ready to
enlist, when he sees Finny. He starts to make a joke about Gene&s
&plan&&to kill Finny and get the room for himself&but Gene cuts
him off and explains to Finny about Brinker&s suggestion to enlist.
Finny&s unenthusiastic reaction leads Gene to realize that Finny
doesn&t want him to leave. Gene now tells Brinker, to Finny&s obvious
relief, that he no longer wants to enlist. The roommates begin to
make jokes, saying that they wouldn&t enlist with Brinker if he
were General MacArthur&s son or even Madame Chiang Kai-shek of China.
In the midst of these jokes, Finny tags Brinker with a nickname:
&Yellow Peril& Hadley, referring to his supposed double-life as
Madame Chiang Kai-shek.
As Gene and Finny make their way over patches of ice to
their first class, Finny remarks t he knows
this, he says, because he loves winter, and it must return his affection.
He then suggests that they cut class to give Finny a chance to look
at the school after his long absence. They set out immediately across
campus for the gym. Gene worries that Finny is planning to stare
at his trophies and brood, but instead they go down to the locker
room and Finny asks Gene what team he has joined for the year. Gene
tells him that he did not try out for any teams, attempting to defend
himself by noting the diminished importance of sports during the
war. Finny declares that there is no war, that it is all a conspiracy
orchestrated by the adult establishment&by fat, rich, old men&to
keep young people in their place. When Gene asks why the conspiracy has
not been detected by anyone else, Finny replies that he alone can see
it because of the extent of his suffering. His answer amazes both boys.
An awkward silence follows, and Gene, wanting to break the tension,
goes over to an exercise bar and begins doing chin-ups. Finny tells
him to do thirty and encourages him with his tone of voice as he
counts them aloud for Gene. Finny tells Gene that he wanted to be
an Olympic athlete and that now he will have to train Gene to go
in his place. Finny convinces Gene to undertake the training despite
his objections that the war will preempt the Olympics in 1944. Finny
begins to train Gene and Gene tutors F they
are both surprised by their progress.
One morning, as Gene runs a course around the headmaster&s house
under Finny&s guidance, he suddenly finds his stride, running better
than he ever has before. Mr. Ludsbury comes out to see what the
boys are doing and Finny tells him that Gene is training for the Olympics.
Ludsbury tells them to remember that all athletic training should
be dedicated to preparation for war, but Finny flatly replies, &No.&
This response flusters Ludsbury, who mutters something and leaves.
Finny muses that the headmaster seems to believe sincerely in the
he concludes that Ludsbury must be too thin to
be let in on the hoax run by the fat old men. Gene feels a flash
of pity for Ludsbury&s &fatal thinness,& reflecting that he indeed
seems to have always had a &gullible side.&
By this point in the book, the reader recognizes the effect
of Finny&s fall on his relationship with Gene. Far from driving
a wedge between them, the fall has instead resulted in a tightening
of the strange bond between the two friends. &He need[s] me,& Gene
says to himself, watching his friend hobble into the shower, a realization sufficient
to drive away his thoughts of joining the army. Were he to enlist,
Gene would join Brinker Hadley in embracing adulthoo
in many ways, by staying by Finny&s side, Gene inhibits his own
development and process of self-discovery.
There are two possible explanations for how the fall can
have brought the friends closer even though the events and emotions leading
up to it seem to prove Gene undeserving of such a friendship. First,
Finny does seem to harbor a genuine love for Gene, and, because
he loves his friend, it doesn&t occur to him that Gene might not
love him back. As usual, he assumes that other people approach the
world in the same way that he does. This attitude emerges clearly in
his comments about winter: loving winter himself, he cannot conceive
of the season harboring any enmity toward him, though Gene points
out that winter is treacherous for someone on crutches. If one loves
something enough, he insists, it must return that affection. One
can argue that this assumption&that love is always reciprocated&is
the foundation of his continued closeness with Gene.
But there may be a darker current underpinning the boys&
closeness, working alongside Finny&s innocent love for his best
friend. We have already seen evidence of Gene&s eagerness to lose
himself in Finny, to give up his identity and live as a part of
his friend. But now, in Finny&s enthusiasm to train Gene for the
1944 Olympics, we observe how Finny, too, contributes to this process,
welcoming this sacrifice on Gene&s part. Denied the ability to live
life to the fullest by his injury, Finny sets out to live through
Gene by attempting to transform him into the athlete that he himself
once was. When Gene achieves his breakthrough on the track and becomes
a better runner, Finny remarks that Gene has learned something new
about himself through exercise. While this statement may be true,
it also rings of cruel irony: perhaps all that Gene has learned
about himself is how easily he can transform himself into a mirror
by , November 25, 2014
Leper camps in his dining room after escaping the army, he also says he wanted to be in the ski unit. The dining room is a big part about Lepers escaping part.
9 people found this helpful
by , May 26, 2015
this book sucks and its meaning isn't noticeable I hate this book and would support any of it nor suggest is to somebody
159 people found this helpful
by , August 14, 2015
Does anyone else believe that Finny is emotionally abusive towards Gene? Finny often tells Gene things along the lines of "you're not good enough to do that" and definitely takes control over Gene.
42 people found this helpful
Take a Study Break!Joe tells Shane either we roll with Frank and backD**r him Or we roll with Brit and separate the house.Big Brother 18 Spoilers | OnlineBigBrother Live Feed Updates
POV Holder:JennNext POV:Sept 1 (Saturday)POV UsedPOV CeremonyAug 27 (Monday)HOH Winner:FrankNext HOH:Aug 30 (Thursday)Original Nominations:Dan And DanielleCurrent Nominations:Have NotsDanLast Evicted HouseguestBoogie and AshleyPandora’s Box POwerIan -& Has a veto power***POV Results1) Dan in solitary dance party for 24 hours 2) Carrot top wears a carrot suit for 24 hours 3) Danielle and Britney are handcuffed for 24 hours 4) Jenn has POV, Burns clothes and is on slop for the rest of the game 5) Frank gets “chum” bath 24 hours (Frank was also Disqualified from the competition) 6) Shane took no punishments11amJenn, Britney, Frank, Dan and Danielle are in the backyard talking about random stories. They start talking about birth control. Frank says once when he was done having $ex the girls nuvaring was caught on him. He was like what is this a bear trap! They continue to talk about random stuff.
Joe comes into the kicks room to talk to Shane. Joe says that he thought about a scenario last night. Joe says that he walked out several scenarios. I pulled papers and tried out scenarios to see if I can get us to where we need to go. Joe says one asks question if we got down to the final three, would you take me or Danielle? Shane says ummm..Ahhh.. good point, uhh.. you, I would have a better shot at it against you in the finals. Joe says if we do the Frank thing… as soon as we possibly can we back door him. Joe says that Frank says he just didn’t want to be the one to put up Jenn, but we can. Joe says that Frank wants out Ian and Dan. To me it doesn’t matter I don’t care about Ian. Joe says if we get to the final four with Frank you have to either beat him or we have to back door him the week before. Joe says that if we stick with Britney then we just separate and Frank is going to go off on us, and I can take it if we want to do that. Joe tells Shane that he wants to go to the final two with him, and that he is happy just taking the $50 grand. Joe says we either stick with Frank and try and back door him or we stick with Britney and separate the house. Let me know and we’ll talk to Frank. Joe leaves.
Superpass Live Feeds FREE 3 Day Trial then: Watch the last month of Big Brother 14 for ONLY 50 Cents a DAY! 11:40am – 12pm Danielle and Frank are in the kitchen talking. Danielle tells Frank you need to keep pressuring Shane because he will flip. Frank says oh I will be, I am working for you.
Frank says I trust you won’t put me up. Danielle says I said I won’t so I won’t put you up. Frank tells Danielle that Joe thought that you and Dan might work together again. Frank says that he just told Joe that they might later on but she will still harbor resentment to him. Danielle says yeah thanks for saying that. Frank says that he and Jenn will have her back going forward and that he thinks Shane will too. Danielle goes to see if she can get into the diary room. Frank heads out side to talk to Jenn and Britney about New York and other random things.12:20pm Jenn and Ian are in the pool. Frank, Dan and Britney are on the backyard couch talking about nuclear bombs and other random stuff.
12:30pm &#pm Shane and Danielle are in the kicks bedroom talking about taking advantage of getting to sleep in all day. Shane says that it’s not good for the live feeders but.. Danielle says that she is so over that.. Britney joins them. Danielle complains about her neck rash and sore throat. Britney says that Dan and Frank are sitting on the backyard couch talking. Shane asks what?! Britney says they’re in an alliance. It’s no secret. Shane says they at least have a one week deal. Shane says Dan is a f**king dick. I am going to talk to him. Britney asks about what? Shane says about how he treated Danielle. Britney says that it pisses her off how they are talking like I am going home. Britney says it pisses me off because they don’t have the votes but they act like they do. Britney says that maybe I do go home this week, but its not because of Frank. He is on such a power trip. Britney says that he will roll over anyone and destroy you to get to the finals. Shane agrees. Britney leaves. Shane says I hate Dan so much! Danielle says yeah. All four camera views switch to Ian and Dan playing salsa ball in the pool.
12:50pm &#pm
Big Brother 14 live feeds are done for maintenance.. Apparently Superpass is doing some maintenance, but if you are watching the feeds right now you will lose them to the maintenance screen if you refresh or switch camera views.1:45pm – 2pm The live feeds come back. The house guests are taking HOH photos. Frank jokingly freaks out at Britney for erasing photo. Britney says that Danielle was doing it too. Danielle says no I didn’t, not today. Frank jokingly says s**t head. Britney says to Frank I am on the block I can do whatever I want. Frank says that he got some good blogging done, talked some mad s**t about Britney, just kidding. Britney says just don’t say anything about my husband or upset him, he has been through enough in his life.
2:10pm Frank, Ian, Danielle, Shane and Joe are in the kitchen making lunch. Ian swinging in the hammock. Jenn sun tanning. Britney is laying out on the backyard couch. No one is talking.
Big Brother 14Enjoyed the Spoiler? Share it... Tweet
Big Brother Email Alerts BB17 US Big Brother 17 HOH results “GOOD BOY”
“I’m not going to lie to you I kinda do like Him”- Liz
BB Canada Season 3 Sarah “Damn, that is a privilege I have because of my whiteness. We live i
BB16 US Big Brother Spoilers – “Frankie thinks he’s a celebrity he literal
BB Canada Season 2 Cuddling on the Hammock – “Love is in the air everywhere I look arou
BB15 USBig Brother 15 Spoilers – Power Of Veto Players PICKED!
BB Canada Season 1Big Brother Canada: Alec says that he would feel way worse cutting Andrew than T
BB14 USBig Brother 14: Joe tells Wil & Janelle that Frank is coming after Shane, W
BB13 USFirst Big Brother 13 Commercial on Globalseparate 和part区别separate大部分情况下=part吗 可以换用吗
陶吧基佬撬
separate&和part区别:大部分情况下,separate&和part不可以互换,参见下面例子:To&separate:指客观分开We&can&separate&the&stones&out&with&a&sieve.&我们可以用一个筛子把石头分离出来.It&is&not&uncommon&for&parents&to&put&a&newborn&in&a&separate&room.&父母把新生儿放在分隔的房间并非不常见.Separate&the&two&pipes&by&unscrewing&them.&松开螺丝把两根管子拆开.Oil&and&water&always&separate&out.&油和水总是分开的.Let's&separate&them&into&six&lots.&咱们来把它们分成6堆.The&boxers&clinched&and&the&referee&had&to&separate&them.&拳击手扭抱在一起,裁判让他们分开.To&part:有主动分手之意It's&sad&that&we&have&to&part&company&with&them.&很遗憾我们要与他们分别了.I'm&afraid&I&have&to&part&company&with&you&there.&看来我只能陪你到那儿.(看也可能是:来在这一点上我不敢苟同.)Despite&his&poverty,&he&refuse&to&part&with&the&family&jewel.&他尽管贫穷,却不肯变卖家中的珠宝.He&was&forced&to&part&company&with&his&girl&friend,&when&he&was&offered&another&higher&position&in&another&city.&由于在另一个城市里谋得了一份较好的职位,他被迫也女友分手了.It's&not&easy&for&him&to&part&with&his&favorite&possessions.要他放弃自己最喜爱的财物是不容易的.How&do&you&want&to&part&the&on&the&right,or&on&the&left?您想怎样分发:&在右边分,还是在左边分?In&order&to&raise&money,&Cathy&had&to&part&with&some&of&her&jewels.为了筹款,凯茜只好卖掉了一些珠宝.
_____those two boys who are fighting 用part 还是separate
可我们老师说用part
Separate is better than part.
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
separate、divide和part都含“分开”的意思。separate 指“把原来在一起的人或物分开”, 如:Separate those two boys who are fighting, will you?把那两个打架的孩子拉开, 好吗?part 指“把密切相关的人或物分开”, 如:I parted the gold from the silver.我从银...
part应该是更偏向于密切相关的人或物,两个打架的男孩应该属于是在一起,并非密切相关
separate是把两个在一起的人或事物间隔开来,拉开距离
扫描下载二维码

我要回帖

更多关于 dont let him in 的文章

随机推荐