Learning English
clauses of purpose: 'in order to' and 'so that'
Shin from South Korea writes:
would like you to talk about the difference between to + infinitive
and in order to + infinitive.
these two sentences:
I went to school to study.
b) I went to school in order to study.
seems to be all right, though perhaps you do not say it.
Woodham replies:
/ in order to…. / so as to….
are right, Gyonggu. If we use in order to it sounds a bit
more formal and explicit than to by itself, but both are
equally possible in both spoken and written English.
both convey exactly the same meaning when expressing purpose:
cut the tree down, I had to hack through the undergrowth first.
order to cut the tree down, I had to hack through the undergrowth
order to is normal before a negative infinitive. We do not usually
use to by itself here:
order not to oversleep, I set the alarm for seven o’clock.
walked very slowly across the room with the drinks in order
not to spill them.
can also use so as to instead of in order to and it
carries the same degree of explicitness or formality:
moved house last year so as to be closer to our children
and grandchildren.
gave him a cheque in advance to ease his financial problems
and so as not to delay the building work.
stative verbs like know, seem, appear,
understand, have, etc, it is more usual to use in
order to or so as to:
talked to them both for half an hour so as to have a thorough
understanding of the problem.
followed her around all day in order to know whether she
had any intention of meeting him.
that.../ in order that ...
structures are also frequently used to talk about purpose, although
so that is more common and less formal than in order that.
that these structures are normally used with (modal) auxiliary verbs.
the following:
staying on in Australia for nine more months so that he
can perfect his English.
staying on in Australia for nine more months in order to perfect
his English.
going to leave by three so that we don’t get stuck in the
rush-hour traffic.
going to leave by three so as not to get stuck in the rush-hour
had an afternoon nap so that he wouldn’t fall asleep at
the concert later.
had an afternoon nap in order not to fall asleep at the
concert later.
order that you may pass the exam, we recommend you read through
all your notes. (Very formal.)
order to pass the exam, we recommend you read through all
your notes. (Less formal.)
that in informal colloquial English, that may be omitted
from the so that construction.
out for this variation, though I wouldn’t recommend that you use
come early so we can have a good chat before Denise arrives.
bought a video camera so I can film the children as they
shall wear warm clothes when we go camping in October so
we don’t get cold.
you want to practise using some of these words look at our
in the You, Me and Us part of our website.举一反三(巩固练习,成绩显著提升,去)
根据问他()题库系统分析,
试题“Born in America, I spoke Engli...”,相似的试题还有:
完形填空。Born in America, I spoke English, not Chinese, the language of my ancestors. When I was three, my parentsflashed cards with Chinese&&&1&&&at my face, but I pushed them&&&2&. My mom believed I would learn&&&3&&&I wasready. But the&&&4&&&never came.&&&& On a Chinese New Year's Eve, my uncle spoke to me in Chinese, but all I could do was&&&5&&at him, confused,scratching my head. "Still can't speak Chinese?" He&&&6&&&me, "You can't even buy a fish in Chinatown."&&&& "Hey, this is America, not China. I'll get some&&&7&&&with or without Chinese." I replied and turned to my momfor&&&8&.&&&& "Remember to ask for fresh fish, Xin Xian Yu," she said, handing over a $20 bill. I&&&9&&&the words, runningdownstairs into the streets of Chinatown.&&&& I found the fish&&10&&surrounded in a sea of customers. "I'd like to buy some fresh fish," I should to thefishman. But he&&11&&my English words and turned to serve the next customer. The laugh of the people behindincreased&&12&&their impatience. With every&&13, the breath of the dragons (龙) on my back grew stronger-myblood boiling-&14&&me to cry out. "Xian Sheng Yu, please." "Very Xian Sheng," I repeated. The crowd eruptedinto laughter. My face turned&&15&&and I ran back home&&16&, except for the $20 bill I held tightly in my pocket.&&&& Should I laugh or cry? They're Chinese. I should feel right at&&17&. Instead, I was the joke, a disgrace (丢脸)to the language.&&&& Sometimes, I laugh at my fish&&18&, but, in the end, the joke is on&&19&. Every laugh is a culture&&20&; everylaugh is my heritage (传统) fading away.(&&&& )1.&A. custom&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )2.&A. ahead&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )3.&A. when&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )4.&A. success&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )5.&A. aim&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )6.&A. cared about&&&&&&&(&&&& )7.&A. right now&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )8.&A. decision&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )9.&A. repeated&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )10.&A. farm&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )11.&A. guessed&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )12.&A. by&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )13.&A. second&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )14.&A. forcing&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )15.&A. bright&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )16.&A. open-mouthed&&&&&(&&&& )17.&A. service&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )18.&A. trade&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )19. A. it&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )20.&A. thrown&&&&&&&&&&&B. games&&&&&&& &B. around&&&&&&B. before&&&&&&& &B. study&&&&&&& &B. joke&&&&&&& &B. laughed at& &B. from now&&& &B. Permission& &B. reviewed&&& &B. stand&&&&&&& &B. forget&&&&&&B. as&&&&&&&&&&&B. effort&&&&&&& &B. allowing&&&& &B. blank&&&&&&&B. tongue-tied&&&&&& &B. home&&&&&&&& &B. deed&&&&&&&&B. us&&&&&&&&&&B. lost&&&&&&&&&C .characters&&&&& &C. along&&&&&&&&&& &&C. unless&&&&&&&& &&&C. time&&&&&&&&& &&&C. nod&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&C. argued with &&&C. at times&&&&& &&&&C. information& &&&C. spelled&&&&&& &&C. pond&&&&&&&&&& &&&C. doubted&&&&&& &&C. with&&&&&&&&&& &&&C. desire&&&&&&& &&&C. persuading&&& &&&C. pale&&&&&&&&& &&&C. empty-handed& &&& &C. risk&&&&&&&&&& &&C. challenge&&&&& &&C. me&&&&&&&&&&&& &&C. divided&&&&&&&D. language&&& &&D. aside&&&&&&&&& &&&D. until&&&&&&&& &&&&D. attempt&&&&& &&&&D. stare&&&&&&& &&D. asked after&&& &D. in time&&&&&&&&& &D. preparation&&&& &D. kept&&&&&&&&&&&& &&D. market&&&&&&&& &D. ignored&&&&&&&& &D. from&&&&&&&&&&& &D. movement&&&&&&& &D. leading&&&&&&&& &D. red&&&&&&&&&&&& &D. broken-hearted& &&&&&&&&&&&&& &D. root&&&&&&&&&&& &D. incident&&&&&&& &&D. them&&&&&&&&&& &&&D. reflected&&&&
完形填空&。Born in America, I spoke English ,not Chinese ,the language of my ancestors . When I was three,my parents flashed cards with Chinese&&&&1&&at my face , but I pushed them&&&2&&,my mom believed Iwould learn&&&3&&&&I was ready .But the&&& 4&&never came.&&&& On a Chinese New Year's Eve , my uncle spoke to me in Chinese , but all I could do was&&& 5&&at him , confused , scratching my head . " Still can't speak Chinese?" He&&& 6&&me , "You can't evenbuy a fish in Chinatown ."&&&& "Hey ,this is America , not Chinese. I'll get some&&& 7&&with or without Chinese." I replied andturned to my mom for permission.&&& "Remember to ask for fresh fish, Xin Xian Yu ," she said ,handing over a $20 bill .I&&&&28&&thewords running downstairs into the streets of Chinatown.&&&& I found the fish stand surrounded in a sea of customers. "I'd like to buy some fresh fish ," I said tothe fishman. But he&&&&&9&&&&my English words and turned to serve the next customer .The laugh of thepeople behind increased&&&&&10&&&&their impatience. The breath of the dragons on my back grewstronger-my blood boiling-&&&&11&&&&me to cry out . "Xian Sheng Yu, please " "Very Xian Sheng ," Irepeated .The crowd erupted into laughter . My face turned&&& 12&&and I ran back home&&& 13&&, exceptfor the $20 bill I held tightly in my pocket .&&&& Should I laugh or cry they 're Chinese . I should feel right at home. Instead , I was the joke , adisgrace ( 丢脸)to the language.&&&& Sometimes , I laugh at my fish&&&& 14&&, but , in the end the joke is on me. Every laugh is a culture&&&& 15&&; every laugh is my heritage ( 传统)fading away.(&&&& )1.A. custom&&&&&&(&&&& )2.A. ahead&&&&&&&&(&&&& )3.A. when &&&&&&&&(&&&& )4.A. success&&&&&&(&&&& )5.A. aim &&&&&&&&(&&&& )6.A. cared about(&&&& )7.A. right&&now&&(&&&& )8.A. repeated&&&&(&&&& )9.A. guessed&&&&&&(&&&& )10.A. by&&&&&&&&&&(&&&& )11.A. forcing&&&&(&&&& )12.A. bright &&&&(&&&& )13.A. open-mouthed(&&&& )14.A. trade&&&&&&(&&&& )15.A. thrownB. games&&&&B. around &&B. before &&B. study &&&&B. joke &&&&B. laughed atB. from now&&B. reviewed&&B. forget&&&&B. as&&&&&&&&B. allowing&&B. blank&&&&B. tongue-tiedB. deed &&&&B. lostC. characters&&C. along &&&&C. unless &&&&C. time &&&&&&C. nod &&&&&&C. argued withC. at times &&C. spelled&&&&C. doubted&&&&C. with&&&&&&C. persuadingC. pale&&&&&&C. empty-handedC. challenge&&C. dividedD. language&&&&&&D. aside&&&&&&&&D.until&&&&&&&&&&D.attenmpt&&&&&&D. stare&&&&&&&&D. asked after&&D. in time&&&&&&D. kept&&&&&&&&&&D. ignored&&&&&&D. from&&&&&&&&&&D. leading&&&&&&D. red&&&&&&&&&&D. broken-heartedD. incident&&&&&&D. reflected
完形填空(共20小题;每小题1.5分,满分30分)阅读下面短文,从短文后各题所给的从四个选项中(A、B、C和D),选出可以填人空白处的最佳选项,并在答题卡上将该项涂黑。Born in America, I spoke English, not Chinese, the language of my ancestors. When I was three, my parents flashed cards with Chinese 36 at my face, but I pushed them 37 . My mom believed I would learn 38 I was ready. But the &39 &never came. On a Chinese New Year’s Eve, my uncle spoke to me in Chinese, but all I could do was& 40&at him, confused, scratching my head. “Still can’t speak Chinese?” He&41&me, “You can’t even buy a fish in Chinatown.”“Hey, this is America, not China. I’ll get some& 42 &with or without Chinese.” I replied and turned to my mom for&&43 &.“Remember to ask for fresh fish, Xin Xian Yu,” she said, handing over a $20 bill. I& 44&the words, running downstairs into the streets of Chinatown.I found the fish &45&surrounded in a sea of customers. “I’d like to buy some fresh fish,” I shouted to the fishman. But he &46 &my English words and turned to serve the next customer. The laugh of the people behind increased&47 &their impatience. With every 48 &, the breath of the dragons(龙)on my back grew stronger---my blood boiling--- &49& me to cry out, “Xian Sheng Yu, please.” “ Very Xian Sheng,” I repeated. The crowd erupted into laughter. My face turned &50&and I ran back home&51 &,expect for the $20 bill I held tightly in my pocket.Should I laugh or cry? They’re Chinese. I’m Chinese. I should feel right at& 52&Instead , I was the joke , a disgrace (丢脸)to the language.Sometimes , I laugh at my fish &&&&&53&&, but , in the end .the joke is on &&&54&. Every laugh is a culture&&&& 55&&; every laugh is my heritage (传统)fading away.A. custom&&&&& B. games&&& C .characters .&&&&&&&&&&& D. language A. ahead&&&&&& B. around&&& C. along&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. aside A. when&&&&&&& B. before&&& C. unless&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. untilA. success&&&&&& B. study&&&& C. time&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. attempt A. aim&&&&&&&& B. joke&&&&& C. nod&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. stare A. cared about&&&&&&&&& B. laughed at&&&&&& C. argued with&&&&& D. asked after A. right now&&&&&&&&& B. from now&&&&&&& C. at times&&&&&&&& D. in time A. decision&&&&&&&&&&& B. permission &&&&&&&C. information&&&&& D. preparationA. repeated&&&&&&&&&&& B. reviewed&&&&&&&&& C. spelled&&&&&&&& D. keptA. farm&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. stand&&&&&&&&&&&& C. pond&&&&&&&&&&& D. marketA. guessed&&&&&&&&&& B. forgot&&&&&&&&&&&& C. doubted&&&&&&&& D. ignoredA. by&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. as&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. with&&&&&&&&&&&& D. from A. second&&&&&&&&&&& B. effort&&&&&&&&&&&& C. desire&&&&&&&&&&& D. movementA. forcing&&&&&&&&&&& B. allowing&&&&&&&&&&&& C. persuading&&&&&&& D. leadingA. bright&&&&&&&&&&& B. blank &&&&&&&&&&&&&C. pale&&&&&&&&&&&& D. red A. open-mouthed&&&& B. tongue-tied&&& C. empty-handed&&&& D. broken-heartedA. service&&&&&&&&&& B. home&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. risk&&&&&&&&&&&& D. root A. trade&&&&&&&&&&&& B. deed&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. challenge&&&&&& D. incident A. it&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. us&&&&&&&&&& C. me&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. themA. thrown&&&&&&&&&& B. lost&&&&&&&&&&& C. divided&&&&&&&&&& D. reflected

我要回帖

更多关于 zainigeshengli 的文章

随机推荐