we all have entice,as we live in our lives,it's reallyif nothing elsee but a serious choise.

& “Even if we have an e...”习题详情
145位同学学习过此题,做题成功率77.9%
Even if we have an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, the human body is programmed to wear out at a maximum of about 120 years, and usually less. We all have a biological clock inside us which determines the moment when our organs cease to function properly. This is because our cells have stopped renewing themselves and our body can no longer repair itself. This is also the moment when we are more likely to begin to suffer from the diseases of old age such as arthritis and Alzheimer’s. However, rapid advances in DNA research are beginning to throw light on the secrets of the ageing process. By the end of this century we could literally have the power of life over death.Although it has long been accepted that humans have a fixed lifespan, it is also a fact that certain other organisms, such as reptiles and amphibians, appear to live indefinitely. The only reason we do not see 500-year-old alligators is because in the wild their lives are always in danger, from man, from pollution and from other animals. When they are kept in zoos they do not seem to age at all after they are fully grown. The same is true of some species of fish, which grow indefinitely and show no signs of ageing. The existence of animals with no fixed lifespan seems to indicate that an age gene really does exist. It is this gene which scientists are searching for, which may delay or repair damage to the body caused by ageing.Another new area of research involves the oxidation(氧化) theory, which says that ageing is caused by the same process that makes iron rust. In controlled experiments, the lifespans of certain animals were shown to be lengthened with anti- for example, the lifespan of mice can be increased by 30%. Antioxidants are already being used in face creams and other cosmetics, and they are likely to play an important part in keeping people physically young. Perhaps the most immediate advance we are likely to see in the battle to halt(停止)the ageing process will be organ replacement. By the year 2020 it is likely that we will be replacing injured bones or even organs like livers and kidneys with ones “grown” in laboratories. By 2050 perhaps every organ in the body, except the brain, will have become commercially available. Recent experiments also show that it may one day be possible to “grow” new organs inside our body to replace worn-out ones, something which lizards and alligators already do.Suddenly immortality(不死,不朽) seems within reach. We can begin to imagine a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die. But do we really want to live forever?【小题1】 When all humans reach a certain age, &&&&.A.they suffer the effects of their diet and lifestyleB.the organs stop to perform appropriately C.their cells continue to renew themselvesD.they develop arthritis and Alzheimer’s【小题2】 The purpose of showing the case of alligators is to prove &&&&.A.alligators are in danger in the wild because of the threat from man, pollution and other animalsB.it is widely accepted that humans have a fixed lifespanC.there exists an age gene which may control ageingD.the age gene damages the body【小题3】The underlined phrase “live indefinitely” in Paragraph 2 probably mean &&&&.A.live for a period of time without a fixed endB.live without a clear aimC.live in an uncertain way D.live without being fully grown【小题4】It can be inferred from Paragraph 4 that &&&&.A.by 2050 we might have most of our worn-out organs replaced with new ones commerciallyB.never can the ageing process be avoided C.livers and kidneys are sure to be grown in laboratories by the year 2020 D.lizards and alligators grow new organs inside their body to replace worn-out ones【小题5】 What is the main topic of this passage?A.DNA researches show how our cells renew themselves.B.Anti-oxidants are likely to play an important part in keeping people young. C.How our biological clock works? D.Eternal(永恒的) youth: new developments in anti-ageing research.【小题6】By saying “But do we really want to live forever”, the author may probably mean &&&&.A.a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die is on its wayB.he is uncertain whether we can live foreverC.it remains to be seen whether immortality is a blessing or a curseD.immortality is no longer a dreamB&
本题难度:一般
题型:解答题&|&来源:2013-浙江省宁波市五校高三5月适应性考试英语试题
分析与解答
习题“Even if we have an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, the human body is programmed to wear out at a ma...”的分析与解答如下所示:
本文介绍了人类的寿命即使非常的健康也会最多只要120年,现代医学的进步也许到2050年我们能够做到将坏死的器官进行更替,但是作者发出疑问,在未来我们真的就想长生不老吗?【小题1】细节题。从文章We all have a biological clock inside us which determines the moment when our organs cease to function properly. This is because our cells have stopped renewing themselves and our body can no longer repair itself.可知,当人类达到某一个年龄是,器官就会衰退,故选B【小题2】推断题。从第二自然段及The existence of animals with no fixed lifespan seems to indicate that an age gene really does exist. It is this gene which scientists are searching for, which may delay or repair damage to the body caused by ageing.可知存在年龄方面的基因来控制年龄,故选C【小题3】推断题。从文章Although it has long been accepted that humans have a fixed lifespan, it is also a fact that certain other organisms, such as reptiles and amphibians, appear to live indefinitely.可知,这个词的意思应该是生活一段时间,但并不存在确定的终点,故选A【小题4】细节题。从文章By 2050 perhaps every organ in the body, except the brain, will have become commercially available.可知,本题选A【小题5】主旨题。从最后一段Suddenly immortality(不死,不朽) seems within reach. We can begin to imagine a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die. But do we really want to live forever?可知,本文最好的标题应该是D【小题6】推断题。作者表示是否我们真的想要长生不老吗?作者表示出了怀疑,所以此处作者是在说长生不老是好还是坏真的不是很清楚,所以此处填C
本文对人的寿命情况进行了相关的说明,对于此类题,可以通过文章结构中所提的问题来迅速的理解全文,对整体段落的概括也相对容易。答题过程中在结合题目在文章中准确定位,相信每个题目都在文章中能找到相应的地方,把握好作者的意思准确作答。
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
Even if we have an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, the human body is programmed to wear out at...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
“Even if we have an e...”的最新评论
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“Even if we have an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, the human body is programmed to wear out at a maximum of about 120 years, and usually less. We all have a biological clock inside us which determines the moment when our organs cease to function properly. This is because our cells have stopped renewing themselves and our body can no longer repair itself. This is also the moment when we are more likely to begin to suffer from the diseases of old age such as arthritis and Alzheimer’s. However, rapid advances in DNA research are beginning to throw light on the secrets of the ageing process. By the end of this century we could literally have the power of life over death.Although it has long been accepted that humans have a fixed lifespan, it is also a fact that certain other organisms, such as reptiles and amphibians, appear to live indefinitely. The only reason we do not see 500-year-old alligators is because in the wild their lives are always in danger, from man, from pollution and from other animals. When they are kept in zoos they do not seem to age at all after they are fully grown. The same is true of some species of fish, which grow indefinitely and show no signs of ageing. The existence of animals with no fixed lifespan seems to indicate that an age gene really does exist. It is this gene which scientists are searching for, which may delay or repair damage to the body caused by ageing.Another new area of research involves the oxidation(氧化) theory, which says that ageing is caused by the same process that makes iron rust. In controlled experiments, the lifespans of certain animals were shown to be lengthened with anti- for example, the lifespan of mice can be increased by 30%. Antioxidants are already being used in face creams and other cosmetics, and they are likely to play an important part in keeping people physically young. Perhaps the most immediate advance we are likely to see in the battle to halt(停止)the ageing process will be organ replacement. By the year 2020 it is likely that we will be replacing injured bones or even organs like livers and kidneys with ones “grown” in laboratories. By 2050 perhaps every organ in the body, except the brain, will have become commercially available. Recent experiments also show that it may one day be possible to “grow” new organs inside our body to replace worn-out ones, something which lizards and alligators already do.Suddenly immortality(不死,不朽) seems within reach. We can begin to imagine a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die. But do we really want to live forever?【小题1】 When all humans reach a certain age, ____.A.they suffer the effects of their diet and lifestyleB.the organs stop to perform appropriately C.their cells continue to renew themselvesD.they develop arthritis and Alzheimer’s【小题2】 The purpose of showing the case of alligators is to prove ____.A.alligators are in danger in the wild because of the threat from man, pollution and other animalsB.it is widely accepted that humans have a fixed lifespanC.there exists an age gene which may control ageingD.the age gene damages the body【小题3】The underlined phrase “live indefinitely” in Paragraph 2 probably mean ____.A.live for a period of time without a fixed endB.live without a clear aimC.live in an uncertain way D.live without being fully grown【小题4】It can be inferred from Paragraph 4 that ____.A.by 2050 we might have most of our worn-out organs replaced with new ones commerciallyB.never can the ageing process be avoided C.livers and kidneys are sure to be grown in laboratories by the year 2020 D.lizards and alligators grow new organs inside their body to replace worn-out ones【小题5】 What is the main topic of this passage?A.DNA researches show how our cells renew themselves.B.Anti-oxidants are likely to play an important part in keeping people young. C.How our biological clock works? D.Eternal(永恒的) youth: new developments in anti-ageing research.【小题6】By saying “But do we really want to live forever”, the author may probably mean ____.A.a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die is on its wayB.he is uncertain whether we can live foreverC.it remains to be seen whether immortality is a blessing or a curseD.immortality is no longer a dream”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“Even if we have an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, the human body is programmed to wear out at a maximum of about 120 years, and usually less. We all have a biological clock inside us which determines the moment when our organs cease to function properly. This is because our cells have stopped renewing themselves and our body can no longer repair itself. This is also the moment when we are more likely to begin to suffer from the diseases of old age such as arthritis and Alzheimer’s. However, rapid advances in DNA research are beginning to throw light on the secrets of the ageing process. By the end of this century we could literally have the power of life over death.Although it has long been accepted that humans have a fixed lifespan, it is also a fact that certain other organisms, such as reptiles and amphibians, appear to live indefinitely. The only reason we do not see 500-year-old alligators is because in the wild their lives are always in danger, from man, from pollution and from other animals. When they are kept in zoos they do not seem to age at all after they are fully grown. The same is true of some species of fish, which grow indefinitely and show no signs of ageing. The existence of animals with no fixed lifespan seems to indicate that an age gene really does exist. It is this gene which scientists are searching for, which may delay or repair damage to the body caused by ageing.Another new area of research involves the oxidation(氧化) theory, which says that ageing is caused by the same process that makes iron rust. In controlled experiments, the lifespans of certain animals were shown to be lengthened with anti- for example, the lifespan of mice can be increased by 30%. Antioxidants are already being used in face creams and other cosmetics, and they are likely to play an important part in keeping people physically young. Perhaps the most immediate advance we are likely to see in the battle to halt(停止)the ageing process will be organ replacement. By the year 2020 it is likely that we will be replacing injured bones or even organs like livers and kidneys with ones “grown” in laboratories. By 2050 perhaps every organ in the body, except the brain, will have become commercially available. Recent experiments also show that it may one day be possible to “grow” new organs inside our body to replace worn-out ones, something which lizards and alligators already do.Suddenly immortality(不死,不朽) seems within reach. We can begin to imagine a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die. But do we really want to live forever?【小题1】 When all humans reach a certain age, ____.A.they suffer the effects of their diet and lifestyleB.the organs stop to perform appropriately C.their cells continue to renew themselvesD.they develop arthritis and Alzheimer’s【小题2】 The purpose of showing the case of alligators is to prove ____.A.alligators are in danger in the wild because of the threat from man, pollution and other animalsB.it is widely accepted that humans have a fixed lifespanC.there exists an age gene which may control ageingD.the age gene damages the body【小题3】The underlined phrase “live indefinitely” in Paragraph 2 probably mean ____.A.live for a period of time without a fixed endB.live without a clear aimC.live in an uncertain way D.live without being fully grown【小题4】It can be inferred from Paragraph 4 that ____.A.by 2050 we might have most of our worn-out organs replaced with new ones commerciallyB.never can the ageing process be avoided C.livers and kidneys are sure to be grown in laboratories by the year 2020 D.lizards and alligators grow new organs inside their body to replace worn-out ones【小题5】 What is the main topic of this passage?A.DNA researches show how our cells renew themselves.B.Anti-oxidants are likely to play an important part in keeping people young. C.How our biological clock works? D.Eternal(永恒的) youth: new developments in anti-ageing research.【小题6】By saying “But do we really want to live forever”, the author may probably mean ____.A.a future where we are born, we grow to maturity, but we never grow old and die is on its wayB.he is uncertain whether we can live foreverC.it remains to be seen whether immortality is a blessing or a curseD.immortality is no longer a dream”相似的习题。There’s talk today about how as a society we’ve become separated by colors, income, city vs suburb, red state vs blue.But we also divide ourselves with unseen dotted lines.I’m talking about the p 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
& 题目详情
There’s talk today about how as a society we’ve become separated by colors, income, city vs suburb, red state vs blue.But we also divide ourselves with unseen dotted lines.I’m talking about the property lines that isolate us from the people we are physically closest to: our neighbors. It was a disaster on my street, in a middle-class suburb of Rochester Town, several years ago that got me thinking about this.One night, a neighbor shot and killed his w their two middle-school children ran screaming into the night.Though the couple had lived on our street for seven years, my wife and I hardly knew them.We’d see them jogging together.Sometimes our children would share cars to school with theirs. Some of the neighbors attended the funeral(葬礼)and called on relatives.Someone laid a single bunch of yellow flowers at the family’s front door, but nothing else was done to mark the loss.Within weeks, the children had moved with their grandparents to another part of the town.The only indication that anything had changed was the “For Sale” sign in front of their house. A family had disappeared, yet the impact on our neighborhood was slight.How could that be? Did I live in a community or just in a house on a street surrounded by people whose lives were entirely separate? Few of my neighbors, I later learned, knew others on the stree many didn’t know even the names of those a few doors down. Why is it that in an age of low long-distance expenses, discount airlines and the Internet, when we can create community anywhere, we often don’t know the people who live next door? Maybe my neighbors didn’t mind living this way, but I did.I wanted to get to know the people whose houses I passed each day – not just what they do for a living and how many children they have, but the depth of their experience and what kind of people they are. What would it take, I wondered, to break through the barriers between us? I thought about childhood sleepovers(在外过夜), and the familiar feeling and deep understanding I used to get from waking up inside a friend’s home.Would my neighbors let me sleep over and write about their lives from inside their own houses? 72.The underlined word “this” in the second paragraph probably refers to the talk about ____. &&&&&& A.how a society is divided by dotted lines&
&&&&&& B.the property lines separating us from our neighbors &&&&&& C.the couple’s death&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&& D.understanding each other between neighbors 73.Which of the following is NOT TRUE according to the author’s description? &&&&&& A.The husband killed himself. &&&&&& B.The couple had the habit of jogging together. &&&&&& C.Their children moved to live with grandparents after the couple’s death. &&&&&& D.The author never knew the couple until they died seven years later. 74.From the last paragraph, we can infer that the author _____ in his childhood. &&&&&& A.had once slept in the open air outside &&&&&& B.had slept in his friend’s home more than once &&&&&& C.had slept at home but woke up to find himself inside his friend’s home &&&&&& D.used to live in his friend’s home 75.Following the last paragraph, the author will perhaps _____. &&&&&& A.leave his home and began his writing career &&&&&& B.sleep in the open air and write about his experiences &&&&&& C.sleep in his neighbors’ homes and write about their family lives &&&&&& D.interview his neighbors and write about their houses
72—75 BDBC &
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:高中英语
来源:2013届江西南昌10所重点中学高三第二次模拟突破冲刺(三)英语试卷(带解析)
题型:阅读理解
How could I turn down an opportunity for a weeklong cruise on a luxury motorsailer in the Andaman Sea? Without a second thought, I packed my bags and jumped on a plane to Singapore, and the following day I found myself looking out the airplane window at the beautiful waters surrounding the island of Langkawi off the coast of Malaysia.
The last time I was in Langkawi was in 2001, when it was relatively quiet. Langkawi has come a there are 4, 5, and even 6-star hotels, as well as spas, golfing, horseback riding and even a cable car taking visitors to the highest point on the island. At the Langkawi International Airport I met my shipmates and we were driven to Pantai Tengah with a quick pit stop for sunblock and duty-free goodies. Many other shopping opportunities abound since Langkawi was designated as a duty-free zone in 1987 to entice tourists to the island.
A luxurious yacht tender picked us up. Phillipe, the first mate, maneuvered the tender between sailboats and as we went around a small island there she was, S/V Blue Gold. This majestic 10-passenger sailboat—all 165 feet of her—had been built in Italy and recently underwent a full retrofit. Once aboard, the crew welcomed us with refreshments and big smiles. Before we got too comfortable and settled into the plush comforts of the boat, Alain, the captain, took us on a tour of Blue Gold’s impressive accommodations. The master suite had a king-size bed, with a lounge area and “his & hers” wardrobes. The VIP cabin had a queen-size bed, also with a lounge area. Both had ensuite bathrooms.
The first evening aboard was the perfect start to our voyage—a small cocktail party followed by a light meal of seared tuna salad. It was exactly what our jet-lagged bodies craved, and we all slept very well aboard what would become our new home for the next 7 days.
In the morning after breakfast, we sailed to Pulau Ta Ngah (also spelled “Pulau Tengah”; pulau means island in Malay). In the 1970s the site had been a Vietnamese refugee transit camp. Not long after the end of the war, the camp was shut down and the island was gazetted as a marine park by the Malaysian government. Officially “uninhabited,” it does boast a golf course, but we were unable to determine if it was still in operation. The most intriguing event on the island occurs in July when the giant leatherback turtles lay their eggs on a beach on Ta Ngah. 【小题1】Where is Langkawi?A.In Pulau Ta NgahB.In MalaysiaC.In the Atlantic OceanD.In The Arctic【小题2】We know from the passage Langkawi________.A.has become prosperous in the past decadeB.was a noisy industrial city twenty years agoC.has no three-star hotels nowadaysD.is best known for its horse riding races【小题3】S/V Blue Gold is __________.A.a small island with most beautiful sceneries we have ever seenB.a luxurious 6-star hotel with best food and serviceC.a VIP cabin with 9 queen-size beds and ensuite bathroomsD.a splendid boat with comfortable accommodations【小题4】It is implied that _________.A.many people go golfing on Pulau Ta Ngah every yearB.the Vietnamese War broke out in 1970C.the author liked the party and meal provided in the voyageD.people living on Pulau Ta Ngah must have earned a lot of money【小题5】The article is probably part of __________.A.a news reportB.a travel storyC.an advertisement D.an operating manual
来源:2010年江苏省范集中学高一下学期期末考试英语卷
请认真阅读下面短文,并根据所读内容在文章后表格中的空格里填入最恰当的单词。注意:每空一词。Most people who travel from China to the US find that,despite having studied English for years,they have to “re—learn” it upon arriving. Words that we learned in English classes are not pronounced the same way here.To truly be part of the “melting pot”,fluency(流利)in English is not enough.You need an accent to stand out. When I first came to the US for graduate school,1 was a nervous foreigner.I felt so out of place that I wanted to hide everything about me that was “different”.To talk like an American became one of my goals. During my first term as a teaching assistant(TA),my students complained(抱怨) they could not understand me.I learned later from a study that this complaint was common among US students with an international TA.It is called the “Oh, no!” syndrome (情绪、举动):“Oh,no! Not another international TA,and not that accent again!’’ So I imitated(模仿)the way native speakers talk and,over time,I made such good progress that American friends started to praise my English as having “almost no accent’’.I took this as a sign of my success.Ever since.people have often mistaken me for someone from many places:the Midwest,the West Coast,China,Japan,South Korea.Most frequently,people think I am from California. Suddenly,conformity (一致) was no longer a praise:If I talk like an American,am I still Chinese? If I lose my Chinese accent,do I also lose my cultural identity? Am I denying(否认)my past by being absorbed into(沉浸于)a new culture? Now I realize that a person’s accent is a permanent(永久的)record of their past cultural experience and it is a mark of one’s experience and exposure to different cultures.As a fourth-year student in the US,I am no longer a nervous foreigner.My nervousness has been replaced by a desire to hold on to my cultural origins.Now I consciously(有意识地)add some Chinese “accent” when I speak.I do not wish to speak “perfect” English because I am proud of who I am.&&My Feeling of Speaking English in AmericaTimeSupporting detailsAt the (71) ______I have to relearn English (72) ______ arriving there, for my pronunciations of words are (73) ______ from native speakers.My students complained that I couldn’t make myself (74)______.During my stayI made great (75) ______ in spoken English by imitating the (76) ______ native speakers talk.People often (77) ______ me for someone from the Midwest,the West Coast,China, California and so on.&&NowI think it necessary to keep my (78) ______ origins.I often add some Chinese “accent” consciously when (79) ______ English because I am (80) ______ of being a Chinese.
来源:学年福建省高三上学期11月学段考试英语试卷(解析版)
A tall figure appeared from the dark door of the tent.It was a smoking young man about twenty three or four. He had an almost blackface, though smooth. His moustache was black with curled points. There was anunusual force in his face, and in his daring rolling eyes. cef  Rebeccastill stood hesitating like a swimmer about to make his dive, hardly knowingwhether to return or move forward.&&&&&&&& &Hi,my beauty, what can I do for you?& said he, approaching. Realizing thatshe was quite at a loss, the man spoke in a gentle voice, &Never mind. Iam Mr. Thackeray. Have you come to see me or my mother?&   This scenediffered greatly from what Rebecca had expected. She had dreamed of an aged anddignified(威严的) face. She told herself to be calm andanswered &I came to see your mother, sir.&   &I amafraid you cannot see her-she is ill in bed,& replied the repres for this was Mr. Alee Thackeray, the only son of the noblefamily. &What is the business you wish to see her about?&   &Itisn't business-it is-I can hardly say what!&   &Pleasure?&  &Oh no.Why, sir, if I tell you, it will seem...&   Rebecca'ssense of a certain ridicule(奚落,讥笑) was now so obviousand strong that, despite her general discomfort at being here, her rosy lipscurved(弯曲) towards a smile, much to the attractionof the young man.   &It isso foolish&, she murmured. &I fear I can't tell you!&   &N I like foolish things. Try again, my dear,& said he kindly.   &Mothertold me to come,& R &and, indeed, I was in the mindto do so myself. But I did not expect it would turn out like this. I came…sir, I came to tell you that we are of the same familyas you.&   &Ho Ho!Poor relations?&   &Yes.&  &Rossetti?&  &No.Thackeray.&   &Ay, I mean Thackeray.&   &Ournames are worn away to D but we have several proofs that we areThackeray. The local scholars hold the view that we are, and...and we have anold seal and a silver spoon marked with the same castle as yours. So mothersaid we ought to make ourselves known to you, as we've lost our horse by a badaccident. We can hardly make a living.& &&& &It’s very kind of yourmother, I'm sure.& Alec looked at Rebecca as he spoke, in a way that madeher uneasy. &And so, my pretty girl, you've come on a friendly visit tous, as relations?&   &Isuppose I have,& looking less confident and uncomfortable again. &Well, there's no harm in it. I mean it doesn’t hurt to come and make yourself known to me. Where doyou live? What are you?& …1.While meeting with Alec, Rebecca feels _______duringthe whole course.A. nervous and uneasy B. excited and hopefulC. amazed and comfortable D. pleased but embarrassed. 2.Which of the following is suitable to describeRebecca’s impression of Alec?A. unfriendly and ta lkative B. forceful and daringC. gentle and reliableD. older than expected 3.What is Rebecca’s realpurpose of making this visit? A. To see Alec himself. B. To see Alec's mother. C. To confirm that they are of the same family. D. To make known their relationship and seek help. 4.From the passage, we can conclude that Alec appearsquite friendly to Rebecca largely because __________. A. Rebecca is his distant relation B. Rebecca looks polite to him C. Rebecca is a pretty girl D. Rebecca looks ridiculous&
来源:学年山西省高三1月月考英语试卷(解析版)
Saying “thank you” is probably the first thing most ofus learn to do in a foreign language. After all, we’re brought up to be polite,and it is important to make a good impression upon other people — especiallyacross national divides.So, what exactly are you supposed to say when “thankyou” is only the 20th most popular way to express gratitude? According to arecent survey, 19 other ways of expressing appreciation finished ahead of“thank you” in a poll of 3,000 people.Pollsters(民测调查员) foundalmost half of those asked preferred the more informal “cheers”, while othersliked to use such expressions as “ta”, “great” and “nice one”.So, just what is the appropriate form of words toexpress your thanks?Fortunately, the clue is in the language itself.“Cheers”, despite its popularity, is considered an informal way to say thankyou — and this is a definite clue as to when you can best use it.For instance, when going for a drink with friends, asmile and a “cheers” by way of thanks is not only appropriate to the situation,it is also culturally accurate.“Ta”, originated from the Danish word “tak”, was thesecond-most popular expression of thanks, and is also commonly used in informalsituations, along with phrases such as “nice one”, and “brilliant”.Interestingly, one word that didn’t make it into the top 20 was “thanks”, Thankyou is shorter, more informal cousin.“Thanks” can be useful, as it is able to bridge thedivide between the formality of “thank you” and the downright relaxed “cheers”.Certain words can double as an expression of thanks aswell as delight. Again, the words themselves offer the clue as to when best touse them.For example, words like “awesome”, “brilliant” and“you star” featured highly in the new poll and they can hint at both yourpleasure at someone’s action, as well as serving to express your thanks. If youare on the receiving end of a “new” thank you, you can respond with a simple“no problem”, or “sure”.Of course, in certain circumstances, a simple wave,nod or smile may be appropriate. For instance, if a car driver slows down tolet you cross the road, simply raising your hand in acknowledgement is enoughto show that you appreciate the driver’s consideration.Sometimes, formality is necessary, and “thank you” isstill the best choice in such situations. But students should not worry aboutwhen exactly to use certain expressions.Many people in Western countries are worried that goodmanners are in decline. People are tired of seeing their acts of kindness andservice pass without comment. So don’t think your “thank you” is clumsy orawkwardly formal. The chances are, if you said “thank you”, you made someone’sday. You star.1.We can tell from the results of the poll that__________.A.people areunconcerned about politeness nowadays.B.“thank you” remains the best expression of gratitude.C.there is avariety of expressions of appreciation.D.there aremore formal expressions than informal ones.2.According to the passage, which is an appropriateresponse to “awesome” or “brilliant”?A.Thanks.&&&&&&&&&& B.Sure. &&&&&&&&&&& C.Nice one.&&&&&&&&& D.Cheers. .3.In the last paragraph the author encourages peopleto&&&&&&&&&&.A.show theirgratitude to others.&&&&&&&&&&&& B.behavethemselves well.C.continuetheir acts of kindness.&&&&&&&&&&&& D.stop worryingabout bad manners.4.Which of the following can serve as the best titleof this passage?A.How to AppearMore Polite .&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.Ways to ShowGratitude.C.Neverhesitate to Say “Thank You”.&&&&&&& D.Good Mannersin Decline!&
A tall figure appeared from the dark door of the tent. It was a smoking young man about twenty three or four. He had an almost black face, though smooth. His moustache was black with curled points. There was an unusual force in his face, and in his daring rolling eyes. cef  Rebecca still stood hesitating like a swimmer about to make his dive, hardly knowing whether to return or move forward. "Hi, my beauty, what can I do for you?" said he, approaching. Realizing that she was quite at a loss, the man spoke in a gentle voice, "Never mind. I am Mr. Thackeray. Have you come to see me or my mother?"   This scene differed greatly from what Rebecca had expected. She had dreamed of an aged and dignified(威严的) face. She told herself to be calm and answered "I came to see your mother, sir."   "I am afraid you cannot see her-she is ill in bed," replied the represe for this was Mr. Alee Thackeray, the only son of the noble family. "What is the business you wish to see her about?"   "It isn't business-it is-I can hardly say what!"   "Pleasure?"   "Oh no. Why, sir, if I tell you, it will seem..."   Rebecca's sense of a certain ridicule(奚落,讥笑) was now so obvious and strong that, despite her general discomfort at being here, her rosy lips curved(弯曲) towards a smile, much to the attraction of the young man.   "It is so foolish", she murmured. "I fear I can't tell you!"   "N I like foolish things. Try again, my dear," said he kindly.   "Mother told me to come," R "and, indeed, I was in the mind to do so myself. But I did not expect it would turn out like this. I came…sir, I came to tell you that we are of the same family as you."   "Ho Ho! Poor relations?"   "Yes."   "Rossetti?"   "No. Thackeray."   "Ay, I mean Thackeray."   "Our names are worn away to D but we have several proofs that we are Thackeray. The local scholars hold the view that we are, and...and we have an old seal and a silver spoon marked with the same castle as yours. So mother said we ought to make ourselves known to you, as we've lost our horse by a bad accident. We can hardly make a living."
"It’s very kind of your mother, I'm sure." Alec looked at Rebecca as he spoke, in a way that made her uneasy. "And so, my pretty girl, you've come on a friendly visit to us, as relations?"   "I suppose I have," looking less confident and uncomfortable again. "Well, there's no harm in it. I mean it doesn’t hurt to come and make yourself known to me. Where do you live? What are you?" …1.While meeting with Alec, Rebecca feels _______during the whole courseA.nervous and uneasyB.excited and hopefulC.amazed and comfortableD.pleased but embarrassed2.Which of the following is suitable to describe Rebecca’s impression of Alec?A.unfriendly and ta lkativeB.forceful and daringC.gentle and reliableD.older than expected3.What is Rebecca’s real purpose of making this visit?A.To see Alec himselfB.To see Alec's motherC.To confirm that they are of the same familyD.To make known their relationship and seek help4.From the passage, we can conclude that Alec appears quite friendly to Rebecca largely because __________A.Rebecca is his distant relationB.Rebecca looks polite to himC.Rebecca is a pretty girlD.Rebecca looks ridiculous
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!

我要回帖

更多关于 entice 的文章

随机推荐