风中的女王第1季
经典学习方法
文章资料目录导航

免责声明:本站只提供资源播放平台,如果站内部分资源侵犯您的权益,请您告知,我们会立即处理。
Copyright &
大耳朵英语 & |您现在的位置: >> 三分钟励志英文 >> 英文演讲稿
英文演讲稿
来源: 时间:
【英文】Knowing the Consequences of ChoiceOver the past Spring Festival, I got involved in a family dispute. Right before I got home, four satellite channels of CCTV were added to the 14 channels we had already had. In prime time at night, they all had interesting shows. Therefore, the five of us-my parents, my sisters and I-had to argue over what to watch. Finally, we agreed that we should watch the &most interesting& programme... If we could agree what that was. However, all of us there remember that for a long time after we had TV, there were only one or two channels available. The increase in options reveals an important change in our lifethe abundance of choice. Fifteen years ago we all dressed in one style and in one colour. Today, we select from a wide variety of designs and shades. Fifteen years ago, we read few newspapers. Today, we read English newspapers like the China Daily and the 21st Century, as well as various Chinese newspapers. Fifteen years ago, English majors took only courses in language and literature. Today, we also study Western culture, journalism, business communications, international relations, and computer science. The emergence of choices marks the beginning of a new era in China&#39; an era of diversity, of material and cultural richness, and an era of the rebirth of the Chinese nation. We enjoy the abundance of choice. But this has not come easily. About 150 years ago, China was forced to open up its door by Western canons and gunboats. It has been through the struggle and sacrifice of generations that we finally have gained the opportunity to choose for ourselves. The policy of reform and openness is the choice that has made all the difference. Like others of my age, I&#39;m too young to have experienced the time when the Chinese people had no right to choose. However, as the next century draws near, it is time to askWhat does choice really mean to us young people? Is choice a game that relies on chance or luck? Is choice an empty promise that never materializes? Or is choice a puzzle so difficult that we have to avoid it? First, I would like to sayTo choose means to claim opportunities. I am a third-year English major. An important choice for me, of course, is what to do upon graduation. I can go to graduate school, at home or abroad. I can go to work as a teacher, a translator, a journalist, an editor and a diplomat. Actually, the system of mutual selection has allowed me to approach almost 第一篇every career opportunity in China. Indeed, this is not going to be an easy choice. I would love to work in such big cities as Beijing or Shanghai or Shenzhen. I would also love to return to my hometown, which is intimate, though slightly lagging in development. I would love to stay in the coastal area where life is exciting and fast-paced. I would also love to put down roots in central and western China, which is underdeveloped, but holds great potential. All of these sound good. But they are only possibilities. To those of us who are bewildered at the abundance of opportunities, I would like to sayTo choose means to accept challenge. To us young people, challenge often emerges in the form of competition. In the next century, competition will not only come from other college graduates, but also from people of all ages and of all origins. With increasing international exchanges, we have to face growing competition from the whole outside world. This is calling for a higher level of our personal development. Fifteen years ago, the knowledge of a foreign language or of computer operation was considered merely an advantage. But today, with wider educational opportunities, this same knowledge has become essential to everyone. Given this situation, even our smallest choices will require great wisdom and personal determination. As we gain more initiative in choice making, the consequence of each choice also becomes more important. As we gain more initiative in choice making, the consequence of each choice also becomes more important. Nuclear power, for instance, may improve our quality of life. But it can also be used to damage the lives and possessions of millions. Economic development has enriched our lives but brought with it serious harm to our air, water and health. To those of us who are blind to the consequences of their choices, I would like to say, To choose means to take responsibility. When we are making choices for ourselves, we cannot casually say&It&#39;s just my own business. & As policy makers of the next century, we cannot fail to see our responsibility to those who share the earth with us. The traditional Chinese culture teaches us to study hard and work hard so as to honor our family. To me, however, this family is not just the five of us who quarreled over television programmes. Rather, it is the whole of the human family. As I am making my choices, I will not forget the smile of my teacher when I correctly spelled out the word &China& for the first time, I will not forget the happy faces of the boys and girls we helped to send back to school in the mountains of Jiangxi Province. I will not forget the tearful eyes of women and children in Bosnia, Chechnya and Somali, where millions are suffering from war, famine or poverty. All these people, known and unknown, make up our big human family. At different points, they came into my life and broaden my perspective. Now as I am to make choices for myself, it is time to make efforts to improve their lives, because a world will benefit us all only if every one in it can lead a peaceful and prosperous life. 选择的重要性 去年春节期间,我陷入过一场家庭纷争。在我回家之前,我们家的电视除了已有的 14 个频道外又增加了四个卫星频道。晚上的黄金时间,每个频道的节目都很精彩.结果,我们 一家五口(父母,两个姐姐和我)为了选台而争执起来。最后,我们决定应当看“最有意思” 的节目――如果我们在什么是“最有意思”上可以认同的话。不过我们全都清楚地记得,买了电视后的好长一时间里,只有一两个频道可供选择。电视频道的增多反映出我们生活中的一个重大变化:选择余地的扩大。15 年前,我们身着同样的款式,单一的色调。而如今,纷繁的花色和众多的式样让我 们挑得眼花缭乱。15 年前,我们几乎无报可读。而如今,除了大大小小的中文报纸,我们还读上了《中 国日报》、《21 世纪报》这样的英文报纸。15 年前,英语专业的学生只能选语言与文学课程。而如今,我们还学习西方文化,新 闻,商务,国际关系,甚至还有计算机课程。选择的涌现标志着中国进入了一个崭新的时代,一个充满多样化的时代,一个物质与精 神都愈加丰富的时代,一个中华民族获得新生的时代。我们为选择之多而欢呼雀跃,同时也深深地感到这一切来之不易。一个半世纪之前,在西方大炮、战舰的威通下,中国被迫打开了国门。经过祖祖辈辈的 抗争与牺牲, 我们才最终赢得了当家作主的机会。改革开放这个正确的抉择使一切发生了翻 天覆地的变化。我和其他同龄人一样,太年轻了、没有经历过中国人丧失选择权的岁月。但是,随着下 个世纪的脚步越走越近,我们是该们心自间了:选择,对于我们青年一代,到底意味着什么? 选择,是场靠侥幸来获胜的游戏吗?是不用兑现的空话吗?抑或是种让人知难而退的困 境? 首先,我认为,选择意味着抓住机遇。我是英语专业学生,我所面临的一个重大选择当然是毕业后的去向。我可以攻读 硕士学位,或在国内,或在国外。我可以走上工作岗位,做名,翻译,记者,编辑或外 交家.实际上,双向选择的体制在我面前铺开了通向各行各业的大道。说真的,这个选择并不好做。我愿意在像北京、上海、深圳这样的大都市里工作,我也 盼着能回到虽不那么发达却使我倍感亲切的故乡。我希望可以留在生活节奏快, 令人兴奋的 沿海地带,我也愿意扎根于广炭的中西部地区,那里虽然条件艰苦,却有极大的发展潜力。所有这一切听上去令人振奋,但它们毕竟只是可能性。有些人面对五花八门的选择挑得 眼花缭乱,我要告诉他们:选择就意味着接受挑战。对于我们青年一代,挑战常以竟争的形式出现。到下个世纪,竞争者将不仅只是其他大 学毕业生,更有各行各业不同年龄层的人们。随着国际交流的不断增多,我们得面对来自整个外部世界日益激烈的竞争,这就对我们 个/、的发展提出了更高的要求。15 年前,懂门外语或会用计算机是个优越条件。但今天,随着受教育面的拓宽,以上 的知识也成了每必备的条件。在这种形势下,即便最细小的选择也要求我们具有极大的智慧和自主精神。当我们面对选择不断增强自己的主动性时,每一次选择的结果也同样变得愈加重要。比方说,核能可以提高人民的生活水平,可它同样也能毁灭千百万人的生命财产。经济的发展使我们富裕起来,却也给我们的空气、水、健康带来了严重危害。有些人对 选择的后果毫不在乎,我要对他们说:选择还意味着承担责任。我们替自己做选择时,不能 随口一句“这不关别人的事”。作为下个世纪的决策者,我们必须承担对和我们共同拥有这个 地球的人们所负的责任。传统的中华文化教育我们,要勃奋学习,努力工作,以荣耀家门。然而我认为,这个家 门并不只指诸如我的那个争看电视的五口小家。更确切地说, 它指的是整个人类这个大家庭。当我为自己的未来做出选择时, 我不会忘记自己第一次正确读出“China&这个单时老师脸 上的笑容。我也不会忘记在我们的帮助下重返校园的江西山区的孩子们兴奋的脸庞。我更不 会忘记饱受战火、饥荒、贫困蹂蹦的波斯尼亚、车臣、索马里,不会忘记那里成千上万的妇 女儿童泪水模糊的双眼。所有这些我认识或不认识的人们组成了人类这个大家庭。他们从不同的时空中走进了我 的生活,开拓了我的视野。现在,我将为自己做出抉择,该是为使他们的生活变得美好而奋 斗的时候了。因为只有当每个人都过上和平、富足的生活,世界才能成为大家的乐园.第二篇Student Speech Delivered at the Washington University Engineering Graduate Student Recognition Ceremony15 May 1997Lorrie Faith CranorFaculty, family, friends, and fellow graduates, good evening. I am honored to address you tonight. On behalf of the graduating masters and doctoral students of Washington University&#39;s School of Engineering and Applied Science, I would like to thank all the parents, spouses, families, and friends who encouraged and supported us as we worked towards our graduate degrees. I would especially like to thank my own family, eight members of which are in the audience today. I would also like to thank all of the department secretaries and other engineering school staff members who always seemed to be there when confused graduate students needed help. And finally I would like to thank the Washington University faculty members who served as our instructors, mentors, and friends. As I think back on the seven-and-a-half years I spent at Washington University, my mind is filled with memories, happy, sad, frustrating, and even humorous. Tonight I would like to share with you some of the memories that I take with me as I leave Washington University. I take with me the memory of my office on the fourth floor of Lopata Hall the room at the end of the hallway that was too hot in summer, too cold in winter, and always too far away from the women&#39;s restroom. The window was my office&#39;s best feature. Were it not for the physics building across the way, it would have afforded me a clear view of the arch. But instead I got a view of the roof of the physics building. I also had a view of one corner of the roof of Urbauer Hall, which seemed to be a favorite perch for various species of birds who alternately won perching rights for several weeks at a time. And I had a nice view of the physics courtyard, noteworthy as a good place for watching people run their dogs. It&#39;s amazing how fascinating these views became the longer I worked on my dissertation. But my favorite view was of a nearby oak tree. From my fourth-floor vantage point I had a rather intimate view of the tree and the various birds and squirrels that inhabit it. Occasionally a bird would land on my window sill, which usually had the effect of startling both of us. I take with me the memory of two young professors who passed away while I was a graduate student. Anne Johnstone, the only female professor from whom I took a course in the engineering school, and Bob Durr, a political science professor and a member of my dissertation committee, both lost brave battles with cancer. I remember them fondly. I take with me the memory of failing the first exam in one of the first engineering courses I took as an undergraduate. I remember thinking the course was just too hard for me and that I would never be able to pass it. So I went to talk to the professor, ready to drop the class. And he told me not to give up, he told me I could succeed in his class. For reasons that seemed completely ludicrous at the time, he said he had faith in me. And after that my grades in the class slowly improved, and I ended the semester with an A on the final exam. I remember how motivational it was to know that someone believed in me. I take with me memories of the midwestern friendliness that so surprised me when I arrived in St. Louis 8 years ago. Since moving to New Jersey, I am sad to say, nobody has asked me where I went to high school. I take with me the memory of the short-lived computer science graduate student social committee lunches. The idea was that groups of CS grad students were supposed to take turns cooking a monthly lunch. But after one grad student prepared a pot of chicken that poisoned almost the entire CS grad student population and one unlucky faculty member in one fell swoop, there wasn&#39;t much enthusiasm for having more lunches. I take with me the memory of a more successful graduate student effort, the establishment of the Association of Graduate Engineering Students, known as AGES. Started by a handful of engineering graduate students because we needed a way to elect representatives to a campus-wide graduate student government, AGES soon grew into an organization that now sponsors a wide variety of activities and has been instrumental in addressing a number of engineering graduate student concerns. I take with me the memory of an Engineering and Policy department that once had flourishing programs for full-time undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students. I take with me memories of the 1992 U.S. Presidential debate. Eager to get involved in all the excitement I volunteered to help wherever needed. I remember spending several days in the makeshift debate HQ giving out-of-town reporters directions to the athletic complex. I remember being thrilled to get assigned the job of collecting film from the photographers in the debate hall during the debate. And I remember the disappointment of drawing the shortest straw among the student volunteers and being the one who had to take the film out of the debate hall and down to the dark room five minutes into the debate - with no chance to re-enter the debate hall after I left. I take with me memories of university holidays which never seemed to apply to graduate students. I remember spending many a fall break and President&#39;s Day holiday with my fellow grad students in all day meetings brought to us by the computer science department. I take with me memories of exams that seemed designed more to test endurance and perseverance than mastery of the subject matter. I managed to escape taking any classes that featured infamous 24-hour-take-home exams, but remember the suffering of my less fortunate colleagues. And what doctoral student could forget the pain and suffering one must endure to survive the qualifying exams? I take with me the memory of the seven-minute rule, which always seemed to be an acceptable excuse for being ten minutes late for anything on campus, but which doesn&#39;t seem to apply anywhere else I go. I take with me the memory of Friday afternoon ACM happy hours, known not for kegs of beer, but rather bowls of rainbow sherbet punch. Over the several years that I attended these happy hours they enjoyed varying degrees of popularity, often proportional to the quality and quantity of the accompanying refreshments - but there was always the rainbow sherbert punch. I take with me memories of purple parking permits, the West Campus shuttle, checking my pendaflex, over-due library books, trying to print from cec, lunches on Delmar, friends who slept in their offices, miniature golf in Lopata Hall, The Greenway Talk, division III basketball, and trying to convince Dean Russel that yet another engineering school rule should be changed. Finally, I would like to conclude, not with a memory, but with some advice. What would a graduation speech be without a little advice, right? Anyway, this advice comes in the form of a verse delivered to the 1977 graduating class of Lake Forest College by Theodore Seuss Geisel, better known to the world as Dr. Seuss - Here&#39;s how it goesMy uncle ordered popovers from the restaurant&#39;s bill of fare. And when they were served, he regarded them with a penetrating stare . . . Then he spoke great Words of Wisdom as he sat there on that chair&To eat these things,& said my uncle, &you must excercise great care. You may swallow down what&#39;s solid . . . BUT . . . you must spit out the air!& And . . . as you partake of the world&#39;s bill of fare, that&#39;s darned good advice to follow. Do a lot of spitting out the hot air. And be careful what you swallow. Thank you第三篇THE PRESIDENT(布什) Good morning. As families across the country enjoy the summer, Americans can be optimistic about our economic future. In the past four years, our economy has been through a lotwe faced a stock market decline, a recession, corporate scandals, an attack on our homeland, and the demands of an ongoing war on terror. To grow the economy and help American families, we acted by passing the largest tax relief in a generation. And today, thanks to the tax relief and the efforts of America&#39;s workers and entrepreneurs, our economy is strong and growing stronger.This past week, we learned that America added over 200,000 new jobs in July. Since May of 2003, we&#39;ve added nearly 4 million new jobs. The unemployment rate is down to 5 percent, below the average of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. And more Americans are working today than ever before in our nation&#39;s history. Recent economic reports show that our economy is growing faster than any other major industrialized nation. Small businesses are flourishing. Workers are taking home more of what they earn. Real disposable personal income has grown by over 12 percent since the end of 2000. Inflation is low and mortgage rates are low. And over the past year, the home ownership rate in America has reached record levels. The tax relief stimulated economic vitality and growth and it has helped increase revenues to the Treasury. The increased revenues and our spending restraint have led to good progress in reducing the federal deficit. Last month we learned that the deficit is now projected to be $94 billion less than previously expected. I set a goal of cutting the deficit in half by 2009, and we are ahead of pace to meet that goal. To continue creating jobs and to ensure that our prosperity reaches every corner of America, we&#39;re opening markets abroad for our goods and services. This past week, I was proud to sign the Central American-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement. This historic agreement will level the playing field for America&#39;s workers and farmers, and open up a market of 44 million customers for products made in the United States. To keep our economy growing we also need affordable, reliable supplies of energy. Next week in New Mexico, I&#39;ll sign a bipartisan energy bill that encourages conservation, expands domestic production in environmentally sensitive ways, diversifies our energy supply, modernizes our electricity grid and makes America less dependent on foreign sources of energy. And next Wednesday in Illinois, I&#39;ll sign a highway bill that will improve the safety of our roads, strengthen our transportation infrastructure and create good jobs. Our economy is strong, yet I will not be satisfied until every American who wants to work can find a job. So this coming Tuesday I will meet with my economic team in Texas to discuss our agenda to keep the economy moving forward. As Congress considers appropriations bills this fall, we will work with the House and the Senate to ensure that taxpayer dollars are spent wisely, or not at all. We need to make the tax relief permanent, end the death tax forever, and make our tax code simpler, fairer and more pro-growth. We&#39;ll continue working on Social Security reform. Social Security is sound for today&#39;s seniors, but there&#39;s a hole in the safety net for our younger workers, so I&#39;ll work with the Congress to strengthen Social Security for our children and grandchildren. I&#39;ll continue to press for legal reform to protect small businesses, doctors and hospitals from junk lawsuits. And we will work to make health care more affordable and accessible for all Americans. The American economy is the envy of the world and we will keep it that way. We will continue to unleash the entrepreneurial spirit of America, so more of our citizens can realize the American Dream. Thank you for listening.第四篇乔丹退役演说 Jordan RetirementI am here to announce my retirement from the game of basketball. It won&#39;t be another announcement to baseball or anything to that nature. Mentally, I&#39;m exhausted, I don&#39;t feel I have a challenge. Physically, I feel great. The last time in 1993 I had other agendas. I felt that I wanted to play baseball and I felt that at my age, it was a good opportunity and time to do it. And with the death of my father, and I was basically trying to deal with that. Actually I talked to Jerry last year once the season ended and I told Jerry at that time, mentally, I was a little exhausted. I didn&#39;t know if I would play next year. I wanted to put him on awareness so that he could possibly prepare going into next season. And Jerry, once we had our conversation, wanted me to take time as I did in 93 to make sure that it was the right decision because it was going to be the final decision. I retired the first time when Phil Jackson was the coach. And I think that even with Phil being the coach I would have had a tough time, mentally finding the challenge for myself. Although he can somehow present challenges for me. I don&#39;t know if he could have presented the challenge for me to continue on to this season.& Even though middle way of this season I wanted to continue to play a couple more years, but at the end of this season I was mentally drained and tired. So I can&#39;t say that he would have restored that. I will support the Chicago Bulls. I think the game itself is a lot bigger than Michael Jordan. I&#39;ve been given an opportunity by people before me, to name a few, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Doctor J, Eljohn Baylor, Jerry West. These guys played the game way before Michael Jordan was born and Michael Jordan came on the heels of all that activity. Mr Stern and what he&#39;s done for the league, gave me an opportunity to play the game of basketball. I played it to the best I could play it, I tried to enhance the game itself. I&#39;ve tried to be the best basketball player that I could be.我在这里宣布从篮球场上退役,而且这次退役后不会再去从事棒球或其他类似的 运动。由于精神上很疲惫,我感到自己非常缺乏挑战力;体力倒还不错。1993 年那次 退役时我有其他:想打棒球,我这个年纪正是从事棒球事业的极佳时机。而且父 亲刚好去世了,我只想尽力去面对这一切。事实上,去年赛季刚结束时,我和杰里谈过一次。我告诉他我精神上有些疲惫, 不知到下一年还能不能打。我想让他意识到这一点,以便为下一赛季做准备。杰里-有一次我们谈过这个问题--让我要象 93 年那样,好好考虑,以便作出明智的决定,因 为这将是最后决定。第一次退役时费尔?杰克逊是教练。但我觉得既使本赛季他还担任教练,我也会很 困难,内心里,我已感受到了挑战。当然无论如何,他都会给我一些应对方法的。我 不知到他是否还有办法使我打完这一赛季。在本赛季中间我还想着再打几年呢,但当 赛季结束时,我却感觉精神枯竭,疲惫。因此我确实不能说他会使我恢复精力。我将支持芝加哥公牛队,我认为比赛本身比迈克尔?乔丹重要得多。我的很多机会 都是篮球前辈们给的。我这里指出一些贾巴尔,J 博士,韦思特。这些人早在乔丹 出生前就活跃在赛场了。迈克尔?乔丹只不过是继承了他们的传统。斯特恩先生及其为 联盟做出的贡献给了我打篮球的机会。我已尽我最大能力打球,我想努力推动比赛本 身的发展。我一直在努力,尽我所能成为最好的球员。第五篇Bush Delivers Victory Speech for 2nd Term 布什在华盛顿发表宣布竞选获胜 November 3, 2004 美国东部时间 11 月 3 日下午 3 点(北京时间 11 月 4 日凌晨 4 点),美国总统布什携 夫人劳拉在华盛顿的里根中心发表了演讲,宣布获得竞选连任胜利。President Bush wins his second term in the White House as Sen. Kerry concedes the race. Both candidates set new records for the number of votes received in a presidential election, leading to questions of a mandate for President Bush.President BushThank you all. Thank you all for coming. We had a long night -- (laughter) -- and a great night. (Cheers, applause.) The voters turned out in record numbers and delivered an historic victory. (Cheers, applause.) Earlier today, Senator Kerry called with his congratulations. We had a really good phone call. He was very gracious. Senator Kerry waged a spirited campaign, and he and his supporters can be proud of their efforts. (Applause.) Laura and I wish Senator Kerry and Teresa and their whole family all our best wishes. America has spoken, and I&#39;m humbled by the trust and the confidence of my fellow citizens. With that trust comes a duty to serve all Americans, and I will do my best to fulfill that duty every day as your president. (Cheers, applause.) There are many people to thank, and my family comes first. (Cheers, applause.) Laura is the love of my life. (Cheers, applause.) I&#39;m glad you love her, too. (Laughter.) I want to thank our daughters, who joined their dad for his last campaign. (Cheers, applause.) I appreciate the hard work of my sister and my brothers. I especially want to thank my parents for their loving support. (Cheers, applause.) I&#39;m grateful to the vice president and Lynne and their daughters, who have worked so hard and been such a vital part of our team. (Cheers, applause.) The vice president serves America with wisdom and honor, and I&#39;m proud to serve beside him. (Cheers, applause.) I want to thank my superb campaign team. I want to thank you all for your hard work. (Cheers, applause.) I was impressed every day by how hard and how skillful our team was. I want to thank Chairman Mark Racicot and -- (cheers, applause) -- the campaign manager Ken Mehlman -- (cheers, applause) C the architect, Karl Rove. (Cheers, applause.) I want to thank Ed Gillespie for leading our party so well. (Cheers, applause.) I want to thank the thousands of our supporters across our country. I want to thank you for your hugs on the rope lines. I want to thank you for your prayers on the rope lines. I want to thank you for your kind words on the rope lines. I want to thank you for everything you did to make the calls and to put up the signs, to talk to your neighbors, and to get out the vote. (Cheers, applause.) And because you did the incredible work, we are celebrating today. (Cheers, applause.) There&#39;s an old saying, &Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers, pray for powers equal to your tasks.& In four historic years, America has been given great tasks and faced them with strength and courage. Our people have restored the vigor of this economy and shown resolve and patience in a new kind of war. Our military has brought justice to the enemy and honor to America. (Cheers, applause.) Our nation -- our nation has defended itself and served the freedom of all mankind. I&#39;m proud to lead such an amazing country, and I am proud to lead it forward. (Applause.) Because we have done the hard work, we are entering a season of hope. We will continue our economic progress. We will reform our outdated tax code. We will strengthen the Social Security for the next generation. We will make public schools all they can be, and we will uphold our deepest values of family and faith. We will help the emerging democracies of Iraq and Afghanistan -- (cheers, applause) -- so they can -- so they can grow in strength and defend their freedom, and then our servicemen and -women will come home with the honor they have earned. (Cheers, applause.) With good allies at our side, we will fight this war on terror with every resource of our national power so our children can live in freedom and in peace. (Cheers, applause.) Reaching these goals will require the broad support of Americans, so today I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent. To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust. A new term is a new opportunity to reach out to the whole nation. We have one country, one Constitution, and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America. (Cheers, applause.) Let me close with a word to the people of the state of Texas. (Cheers, applause.) We have known each other the longest, and you started me on this journey. On the open plains of Texas, I first learned the char sturdy and honest, and as hopeful as the break of day. I will always be grateful to the good people of my state. And whatever the road that lies ahead, that road will take me home. A campaign has ended, and the United States of America goes forward with confidence and faith. I see a great day coming for our country, and I am eager for the work ahead. God bless you. And may God bless America. (Cheers, applause.) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------布什此次选民的投票率创下了历史新高,带来了历史性的胜利。今天早些时候,克里 参议员打电话祝贺我竞选成功。我们在电话中谈得挺好,他非常亲切。克里参议员发 起了猛烈的竞选攻势,他和他的支持者可以为此感到自豪。劳拉和我向克里、特里萨 以及他们全家表示最衷心的祝愿。美国做出了选择。对于同胞们的信任,我很感激。这种信任意味着我将承担为所 有美国公民服务的义务。作为你们的总统,我每天都将竭尽全力。我需要感谢许多人,首先是我的家人。劳拉是我一生的挚爱,我对你们也爱她感 到高兴。我还要感谢在竞选后期加入竞选团的女儿,感谢兄弟姐妹们付出的努力,特 别感谢严父慈母的支持。我感谢副总统、(他的夫人)莱尼和他们的女儿。他们付出了努力,是竞选团的 重要成员。副总统聪明睿智、正直高贵,我为跟他共事感到自豪。我感谢优秀的竞选团,感谢你们所有人付出的努力。你们的勤奋和智慧每天都给 我留下了深刻的印象。我感谢全国上下成千上万名支持者,感谢你们在竞选集会上的拥抱、祈祷和亲切 言语,感谢你们想方设法打出标语,呼吁邻居前去投票。正是由于你们付出了惊人的努力,我们今天才能庆祝胜利。俗话说,不要祈求能力所能胜任的任务,要祈求能胜任任务的能力。在四年历史 性时期,美国被赋予了伟大的任务,并以实力和勇气面对这些任务。我国人民使经济 活力复苏,并在新型战争中显示出决心和耐心。我军已经将敌人绳之以法,给美国带 来了荣誉。我国保卫了自己,维护了全人类的自由。领导这样出色的国家,我感到自 豪;带领这个国家前进,我感到自豪。我们已经完成了艰难的任务,进入了充满希望的时期。我们将继续推动经济增长, 改革落后的税法,为下一代加强社会保障。我们将尽量改善公立,维护在家庭和 信仰方面的核心价值观。我们将帮助伊拉克和阿富汗建立民主……, 以便他们增强实力和维护自由。然 后,我军官兵将带着他们获得的荣誉回国。在优秀盟国的支持下,我们将动用美国的 一切力量打赢这场反恐战争, 确保我们的孩子们的自由与和平。要实现这些目标,美国公民的广泛支持是必不可缺的。因此今天,我要对支持对手的所有人说,为了让 美国变得更强大更美好,我需要你们的支持,我也将努力获得你们的支持,并将竭尽 所能以担当得起你们的支持。新一届任期使我有机会影响整个国家。正是同一个国家、同一部宪法和同一个未 来把我们联系到了一起。当我们一起努力的时候,美国的前途无可限量。作为结束语,请允许我向得克萨斯州人民讲几句话:我们彼此认识的时间最长, 你们是我旅程的起点。在得州广阔无垠的平原上,我初次学到了美国的特点:强壮有 力、真诚坦率,充满了黎明般的希望。我将永远感谢这个州的优秀人民。不管前方的 路怎么样,这条路都将带我回家。选举已经结束,美利坚合众国将充满自信地前进。我看到我们的国家正迎来伟大 的日子,很期待下一周的开始。愿上帝保佑你们,保佑美国!第六篇Clinton&#39;s Farewell Speech 克林顿告别演说Thursday, January 18, 2001 (2001 年 1 月 18 日) President Bill Clinton:My fellow citizens, tonight is my last opportunity to speak to you from the Oval Office as your president. I am profoundly grateful to you for twice giving me the honor to serve, to work for you and with you to prepare our nation for the 21st century. And I&#39;m grateful to Vice President Gore, to my Cabinet secretaries, and to all those who have served with me for the last eight years. 同胞们, 今晚是我最后一次作为你们的总统, 在白宫椭圆形向你们做最后一次演讲。我从心底深处感谢你们给了我两次机会和荣誉,为你们服务,为你们工作,和你们一起为 我们的国家进入 21 世纪做准备。这里,我要感谢戈尔副总统,我的内阁部长们以及所有伴我 度过过去 8 年的同事们。This has been a time of dramatic transformation, and you have risen to every new challenge. You have made our social fabric stronger, our families healthier and safer, our people more prosperous. You, the American people, have made our passage into the global information age an era of great American renewal. 现在是一个极具变革的年代,你们为迎接新的挑战已经做好了准备。是你们使我们的社会 更加强大,我们的家庭更加健康和,我们的人民更加富裕。同胞们,我们已经进入了全球信息化时代,这是美国复兴的伟大时代。In all the work I have done as president, every decision I have made, every executive action I have taken, every bill I have proposed and signed, I&#39;ve tried to give all Americans the tools and conditions to build the future of our dreams, in a good society, with a strong economy, a cleaner environment, and a freer, safer, more prosperous world. 作为总统,我所做的一切---每一个决定,每一个命令,提议和签署的每一项法令, 都是在努力为美国人民提供工具和创造条件,来实现美国的梦想,建设美国的未来---一个美 好的社会,繁荣的经济,清洁的环境,进而实现一个更自由、更安全、更繁荣的世界。I have steered my course by our enduring values. Opportunity for all. Responsibility from all. A community of all Americans. I have sought to give America a new kind of government, smaller, more modern, more effective, full of ideas and policies appropriate to this new time, always putting people first, always focusing on the future. 借助我们永恒的价值,我驾驭了我的航程。机会属于每一个美国公民;(我的)责任来自全 体美国人民;所有美国人民组成了一个大家庭。我一直在努力为美国创造一个新型的政府:更 小、 更现代化、 更有效率、面对新时代的挑战充满创意和、永远把人民的利益放在第一位、 永远面向未来。Working together, America has done well. Our economy is breaking records, with more than 22 million new jobs, the lowest unemployment in 30 years, the highest home ownership ever, the longest expansion in history. 我们在一起使美国变得更加美好。我们的经济正在破着一个又一个的记录,向前发展。我 们已创造了 2200 万个新的工作岗位,我们的失业率是 30 年来最低的,老百姓的购房率达到 一个空前的高度,我们经济繁荣的持续时间是历史上最长的。Our families and communities are stronger. Thirty-five million Americans have used the family leave law. Eight million have moved off welfare. Crime is at a 25-year low. Over 10 million Americans receive more college aid, and more people than ever are going to college. Our schools are better - higher standards, greater accountability and larger investments have brought higher test scores, and higher graduation rates. 我们的家庭、我们的社会变得更加强大。3500 万美国人曾经享受联邦休假,800 万人重新获得社会保障,犯罪率是 25 年来最低的,1000 多万美国人享受更多 的入学贷款,更多的人接受大学教育。我们的学校也在改善。更高的办学水平、更大的责任感 和更多的投资使得我们的学生取得更高的考试分数和毕业成绩。More than three million children have health insurance now, and more than 7 million Americans have been lifted out of poverty. Incomes are rising across the board. Our air and water are cleaner. Our food and drinking water are safer. And more of our precious land has been preserved, in the continental United States, than at any time in 100 years. 目前,已有 300 多万美国儿童在享受着医疗保险,700 多万美国人已经脱离了贫困线。全国人民的收入在大幅度提高。我们的空气和水资源更加洁净,食品和饮用水更加安全。我们 珍贵的土地资源也得到了近百年来前所未有的保护。America has been a force for peace and prosperity in every corner of the globe. I&#39;m very grateful to be able to turn over the reins of leadership to a new president, with America in such a strong position to meet the challenges of the future. 美国已经成为地球上每个角落促进和平和繁荣的积极力量。我非常高兴能于此时将领导权 交给新任总统,强大的美国正面临未来的挑战。 Tonight, I want to leave you with three thoughts about our future. First, America must maintain our record of fiscal responsibility. Through our last four budgets, we&#39;ve turned record deficits to record surpluses, and we&#39;ve been able to pay down $600 billion of our national debt, on track to be debt free by the end of the decade for the first time since 1835. 今晚, 我希望大家能从以下 3 点审视我们的未来第一, 美国必须保持它的良好财政状况。通过过去 4 个财政的努力,我们已经把破纪录的财政赤字变为破纪录的盈余。并且,我们 已经偿还了 6000 亿美元的国债,我们正向 10 年内彻底偿还国家债务的目标迈进,这将是 1835 年以来的第一次。Staying on that course will bring lower interest rates, greater prosperity and the opportunity to meet our big challenges. If we choose wisely, we can pay down the debt, deal with the retirement of the baby boomers, invest more in our future and provide tax relief. 只要这样做,就会带来更低的利率、更大的经济繁荣,从而能够迎接将来更大的挑战。如 果我们做出明智的选择,我们就能偿还债务,解决(二战后出生的)一大批人们的退休问题,对 未来进行更多的投资,并减轻税收。Second, because the world is more connected every day in every way, America&#39;s security and prosperity require us to continue to lead in the world. At this remarkable moment in history, more people live in freedom that ever before. Our alliances are stronger than ever. People all around the world look to America to be a force for peace and prosperity, freedom and security. The global economy is giving more of our own people, and billions around the world, the chance to work and live and raise their families with dignity. 第二,世界各国的联系日益紧密。为了美国的安全与繁荣,我们应继续融入世界。在这个 特别的历史时刻,更多的美国人民享有前所未有的自由。我们的盟国更加强大。全世界人民期 望美国成为和平与繁荣、自由与安全的力量。全球经济给予美国民众以及全世界人民更多的机 会去工作、生活,更体面地养活家庭。But the forces of integration that have created these good opportunities also make us more subject to global forces of destruction, to terrorism, organized crime and narco-trafficking, the spread of deadly weapons and disease, the degradation of the global environment. 但是,这种世界融合的趋势一方面为我们创造了良好的机会,但同时使得我们在全球范围 内更容易遭致破坏性力量、恐怖主义、有组织的犯罪、贩毒,致命性武器和疾病传播的威 胁。The expansion of trade hasn&#39;t fully closed the gap between those of us who live on the cutting edge of the global economy and the billions around the world who live on the knife&#39;s edge of survival. 尽管世界贸易不断扩大, 但它没能缩小处于全球经济繁荣中的我们同数十亿处于死亡边缘 的人们之间的距离。This global gap requires more than compassion. It requires action. Global poverty is a powder keg that could be ignited by our indifference. In his first inaugural address, Thomas Jefferson warned of entangling alliances. But in our times, America cannot and must not disentangle itself from the world. If we want the world to embody our shared values, then we must assume a shared responsibility. 要解决世界贫富两极分化需要的不是同情和怜悯,而是实际行动。贫穷有可能被我们的漠 不关心激化而成为火药桶。托马斯-杰斐逊在他的就职演说中告诫我们结盟的危害。但是,在我们这个时代,美国不 能,也不可能使自己脱离这个世界。如果我们想把我们共有的价值观赋予这个世界,我们必须 共同承担起这个责任。If the wars of the 20th century, especially the recent ones in Kosovo and Bosnia, have taught us anything, it is that we achieve our aims by defending our values and leading the forces of freedom and peace. We must embrace boldly and resolutely that duty to lead, to stand with our allies in word and deed, and to put a human face on the global economy so that expanded trade benefits all people in all nations, lifting lives and hopes all across the world. 如果 20 世纪的历次战争,尤其是新近在科索沃地区和波斯尼亚爆发的战争,能够让我们 得到某种教训的话,我们从中得到的启示应是:由于捍卫了我们的价值观并领导了自由和和平 的力量,我们才达到了目标。我们必须坚定勇敢地拥抱这个信念和责任,在语言和行动上与我 们的同盟者们站在一起,领导他们按这条道路前进;循着在全球经济中以人为本的观念,让不 断发展的贸易能够使所有国家的所有人受益, 在全世界范围内提高他们的生活水平和实现他们 的梦想。Third, we must remember that America cannot lead in the world unless here at home we weave the threads of our coat of many colors into the fabric of one America. As we become ever more diverse, we must work harder to unite around our common values and our common humanity. 第三,我们必须牢记如果我们不团结一致,美国就不能领先世界。随着我们变得越来越多 样化,我们必须更加努力地团结在共同价值观和共同人性的旗帜下。We must work harder to overcome our differences. In our hearts and in our laws, we must treat all our people with fairness and dignity, regardless of their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation and regardless of when they arrived in our country, always moving toward the more perfect union of our founders&#39; dreams. 我们要加倍努力地工作,克服生活中存在的种种分歧。于情于法,我们都要让我们的人民 受到公正的待遇,不论他是哪一个民族、信仰何种宗教、什么性别或性倾向,或者何时来到这 个国家。我们时时刻刻都要为了实现先辈们建立高度团结的美利坚合众国的梦想而奋斗。Hillary, Chelsea and I join all Americans in wishing our very best to the next president, George W. Bush, to his family and his administration in meeting these challenges and in leading freedom&#39;s march in this new century. 希拉里、切尔西和我同美国人民一起,向即将就任的布什总统、他的家人及美国新政府致 以衷心的祝福,希望新政府能够勇敢面对挑战,并高扛自由大旗在新世纪阔步前进。As for me, I&#39;ll leave the presidency more idealistic, more full of hope than the day I arrived and more confident than ever that America&#39;s best days lie ahead. 对我来说,当我离开总统宝座时,我充满更多的理想,比初进白宫时更加充满希望,并且 坚信美国的好日子还在后面。My days in this office are nearly through, but my days of service, I hope, are not. In the years ahead, I will never hold a position higher or a covenant more sacred than that of president of the United States. But there is no title I will wear more proudly than that of citizen. 我的总统任期就要结束了,但是我希望我为美国人民服务的日子永远不会结束。在我未来 的岁月里,我再也不会担任一个能比美利坚合众国总统更高的职位、签订一个比美利坚合众国 总统所能签署的更为神圣的契约了。当然,没有任何一个头衔能让我比作为一个美国公民更为 自豪的了。Thank you. God bless you, and God bless America. 谢谢你们!愿上帝保佑你们!愿上帝保佑美国! 第七篇中国与 WTO:十五年的渴望 China and the WTOthe 15-year Itch 香港上海汇丰有限主席艾尔敦先生 Speech by Mr David Eldon, Chairman, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited 纽约香港协会早餐会 Hong Kong Association of New York breakfast meeting 2002 年 4 月 25 日Mr David Eldon:艾尔敦先生艾尔敦先生Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, 先生们,女士们,早上好! I stand before you today with a confession to make. It relates to something that I did recently. Exactly one month ago, I delivered a speech to 我向另一些美国听众发表 another American audience. It was a gathering 一个月前, 那是在香港的美国商会的一 of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong 了讲话。Kong. I talked about Hong Kong&#39;s changing 次聚会上。我谈到香港的角色正在发 现在外国公司在中国开展业 role. And about how Hong Kong can compete as 生变化。务越来越容易, 所以我也谈到了在 it becomes increasingly easier for foreign companies to do business in China. On that day in March, I made several suggestions. One of which was that when travelling overseas, government officials and 这种情况下香港怎样进行竞争。今天我站在这里,要向大家坦白。是关于我说过的一些话。就在那一天,也就是在三月份,我提 出了几点建议。其中一点是香港的政 府官员和商业人员在去海外时应该business people from Hong Kong should spend 多花些时间向那些对香港持怀疑态 more time selling Hong Kong to the sceptics. And less time speaking to the converted. Consequently I am here today, in front of a度的人香港, 而不要花太多时间 和对香港友好的人谈论香港。所以我今天会站在这里, 站在一群对decidedly Hong Kong-friendly crowd, in direct 香港极为友好的人面前, 直截了当地 violation of my own advice. That said, I plan to 违背自己提出的建议。既然这么说, redeem myself by not devoting too much time 我打算对自己说过的话作出补偿, 不 talking about Hong Kong - a topic that is well 用太多的时间谈论香港 - 这个话题 known to this audience. Rather I intend to concentrate on the less known. In particular, 对于今天的听众来说已经非常熟悉 了。我想多谈一些大家不太熟悉的东the implications of China&#39;s entry into the WTO. 西。尤其是中国加入 WTO 所产生的 The implications for Hong Kong and the 影响,对香港的影响,还有对外国公 implications for foreign companies. In doing so, I am going to focus my talk on three distinct areas of knowledge what we and what we do not know we know. Common knowledge 我们知道自己已经了解的事; 我们知道自己还没有了解的事; 还 有 我们不知道自己已经了解的事 众所周知的内容 这样,我准备集中谈论三部分的内 容司的影响。First, what we know we know. We know that China means different things to different people. To overseas manufacturing firms or trading companies it is &the land of a billion buyers of shoes, cars and computers.& To foreign companies already in China it is a place that warrants expansion. In fact, a recent survey首先是我们知道自己已经了解的事。我们知道中国对于不同的人来说意 味着不同的东西。对于海外的制造商和贸易公司来说,中国是&有着十多亿购买鞋子、汽车 found that nine out every 10 foreign companies 和电脑的消费者的国家&。对于已经 operating in China plan to expand their 在中国的外国公司来说, 在这里扩展 investment in the next three years. To foreign 业务是理所当然的。事实上,最近的 financial institutions - particularly those 一项调查表明, 在中国运作的每十家 interested in the provision of wealth 外国公司中有九家计划在未来三年 management services - China is a market with 里扩大投资。对于外资的金融机构来 enormous potential. After all it is a country with 说 - 尤其是那些对提供财富管理服 the highest rate of savings in the world. A country where reportedly more than 80 per 务感兴趣的外资金融机构来说 - 中 国是一个有着巨大潜力的市场。毕竟cent of the bank deposits are held in 20 per cent 这是一个有着全世界最高存款率的 of the accounts. To my Bank it is our birthplace. 国家。根据报道,在中国超过 80% To your President it is a &#39;strategic competitor.&#39; 的银行存款存在 20%的账户之中。对于我的银行 - 汇丰银行 - 来说, Another thing we know we know and this audience in particular knows is that China&#39;s entry into the WTO means the role of Hong Kong will inevitably change. Hong Kong was once the only gateway to the 另一件我们知道自己已经了解的事, Mainland market. A vital link between East and 也是在座的各位听众了解的事, 就是 West. Between developed and less-developed 中国加入 WTO 意味着香港的角色肯 nations. Between capitalist and reforming 定会发生变化。economies. Between China and everywhere else. Today, Hong Kong no longer holds this privileged position. The reality is that Hong Kong hasn&#39;t held it for quite some time. Long before the ink was dry on China&#39;s WTO agreement, companies were choosing to bypass Hong Kong and go directly to Beijing, Shanghai and elsewhere in the Mainland. Of 香港一度曾经是进入中国内地市场 的唯一通道。它是一条至关重要的纽 带,联系着东西方,联系着发达国家 和欠发达的国家, 联系着资本主义经 济和改革之中的经济体, 也联系着中 国和世界各地。今天,香港已经不再 中国是我们的诞生地。对于各位的总 统来说,中国是 &#39;战略性的竞争对手 &#39;。course, a significant number of companies were 拥有这一特殊地位。事实上,香港失 also still coming to Hong Kong to take advantage of the city&#39;s close geographic, economic, political and cultural ties to the 去这一地位已经有一段时间了。在中 国加入 WTO 之前, 各公司早就选择 绕过香港,直接进入北京,上海和中Mainland. And as you are aware they continue 国内地的其他地方。当然,也有大量 to come. 公司还是到香港来, 以利用这座城市 与中国内地在地理,经济,政治和文 We also know that China is in the midst of two 化方面的紧密联系。大家也都看到, transitions at one timefrom a command to a 还有公司陆续到来。market economy and from a rural to an urban society. And we know that the country faces a number of challengesallocating incoming reforming state-owned 我们也知道中国正同时处于两种转 变之中:从计划经济到市场经济,从
spreadin 农业到都市社会。我们也知道这个国 家正面临着一系列的挑战有效分配and eliminating corruption. And now, living up 涌入的资金;改革国有企业;创造更 to the commitments and the expectations of WTO membership can be added to this list. Finally, we know that China has changed a great deal in a relatively short period of time. Thirty years ago US President Richard Nixon and his national security adviser Henry Kissinger made a historic journey to China. 最后, 我们知道中国在相对较短的时 间里发生了巨大的变化。三十年前美 多的就业机会;更平均地分配财富; 减少官僚作风; 还有杜绝腐败。现在, 还可以加上一条达到 WTO 成员国 的承诺和期望。Their seven-day trip concluded with the signing 国总统尼克松和他的国家安全事务 of the Shanghai Communiqu¨| inside the Grand 助理基辛格对中国进行了一次具有 他们为期七天的访 Hall of the Jinjiang Hotel in Shanghai. A couple 历史意义的访问。of weeks ago, Dr Kissinger returned to the Jinjiang to deliver a speech commemorating the events of 1972. I do not know if Dr Kissinger took the time to explore the surrounding area. If he did, he would have possibly seen the nearby theatre that regularly plays the latest offering from Hollywood. He would have probably come across the American fast food outlets or the Italian designer clothing store just down the block. Before crossing the street, he would have likely had to wait for a line of Japanese cars to pass and perhaps even the bus 我不知道基辛格博士是否花时间去 周围的地方看过。如果他这么做了, 他可能会看到附近的一家电影院, 这 家电影院经常上映的好莱坞大 片。沿着大街走,他可能会见到美式 的快餐店或是意大利款式的服装店。在过马路之前, 他很有可能要等着一 长排日本汽车开过, 甚至是画着非常 问的最后一项内容是在上海的锦江 饭店小礼堂签订上海公报。就在几星 期前, 基辛格博士又来到锦江饭店发 表讲话,纪念 1972 年的这一事件。如 emblazoned with a larger-than-life Winnie the 显眼的小熊维尼图案的公共汽车。Pooh. And if he stayed out late enough, he would have undoubtedly been able to stroll 果他在外面逗留到很晚, 他一定会在 做着德国移动电话广告的霓虹灯下back to the hotel under the colorful neon lights 漫步回到宾馆。总而言之,他现在一 advertising German cellular phones. In short, 定会看到与三十年前完全不同的一 he would have definitely seen a very different 个中国。China today than the one he saw 30 years ago. Existing uncertainties 存在的不确定因素 The second area I want to focus on is what we 我想说的第二部分是我们知道自己 know we do not know. In other words, the 不了解的东西。换句话说,就是有关 uncertainties related to the further opening of 中国市场进一步开放的不确定因素。China&#39;s market. 我们不知道到底这么多行业 Clearly, we do not know exactly how numerous 很明显, industries will evolve. And it is a lack of advanced knowledge that is prompting much 会怎样发展。由于对事情缺乏深入的 了解而导致许多揣测。比如,在金融speculation. In the area of financial services for 服务这一方面,有一些人预测,一旦 example, some predict that many of China&#39;s domestic banks will have a limited life span once the market is fully opened up in five years time. 我个人不同意这种看法。我认为这些 Personally, I do not share this view. I think they 中资银行将会是非常强劲的竞争对 这一部分是因为这些银行了解市 will be very strong competitors. Partly because 手。they are in the advantageous position of 场,处于有利地位。另一部分原因是 knowing the marketplace. Partly because they 它们有遍布全国的网络, 这一点是 have national networks that are impossible not to mention impractical - to match. And partly because they have a strong base of customers and are becoming increasingly 根本无法匹敌的, 更不用说赶上它们 是不切实际的了。还有一部分原因是 它们拥有强大的客户基础, 并且正在 逐步走向现代化。比如中国内地最大 市场在五年后完全开放, 许多中资银 行就会陆续关门。modern. Consider the Mainland&#39;s largest bank, 的银行 - 中国工商银行,最近这家 the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. It 银行宣布有超过 10,000 家企业和 recently announced that it has more than 10,000 corporates and 1.8 million individuals 一百八十万的个人在使用其网上银 行的服务。但是我认为中资银行将成它们 using its online banking services. But the main 为强劲竞争对手的主要原因是reason I think domestic banks in China will be 学习的速度非常快。strong competitorsthey are very fast learners. Another thing we know we do not know - and 另一件我们知道自己不了解的事和 this specifically relates to Hong Kong - is the 香港很有关系, 就是从更加开放的中 indirect benefits that will flow from a more open 国市场获得的间接利益。market in China. 如果内地的投资者获准在香港 For example, if mainland investors are allowed 比如, to invest their foreign exchange holdings in 投资外币股票, 香港特别行政区的股 Hong Kong, the SAR&#39;s stock market would票市场肯定会得到好处。香港作为内地位也会提 clearly benefit. Hong Kong&#39;s position as a fund 地公司募集资金的中心, raising centre for Mainland companies would 高。我们知道这一想法正在考虑之 我们也知道我们不了解这种情况 also be enhanced. We know this idea is under 中。consideration. We also know we do not know when it may happen. 我们知道如果香港的银行获 Likewise, we know that if banks in Hong Kong 同样地, are permitted to accept RMB deposits, the 准接受人民币存款, 香港特别行政区 SAR&#39;s status as an international financial centre 作为国际金融中心和主要的地区性 它的地位将会更进一步提 and as the premier regional financial centre will 金融中心, 我们也知道这一想法正在考虑之 be enhanced even further. Once again we know 高。this idea is being considered, but we do not know when it may happen. A third unknown - and one that has been getting considerable attention recently - is the 第三件我们不知道的事 - 这在最近 accuracy of some of China&#39;s statistics. As you 也引起了相当多的关注 - 就是某些 are undoubtedly aware, questions have been raised about certain numbers. Even senior Mainland officials concede that some data is flawed. For example, the head of the Central Bank recently confirmed that levels of non-performing loans at China&#39;s big state 关于中国的统计数字的准确性。大家 一定也知道, 人们对某些数字提出了 问题。甚至内地的高级官员也承认有 一些数据存在错误。比如,中国人民 银行行长最近证实, 中国较大的国有 银行的不良贷款的程度事实上比官 中, 但是我们不知道这种情况什么时 候会发生。什么时候会发生。banks are in fact higher than official estimates. 方估测的更高。但是,数字仅仅说明 无论人们是否赞同 However, numbers only tell part of any story. 了问题的一部分。Whether one agrees with official estimates of 官方对国民生产总值增长的估测, 没 至 GDP growth or not, no one can deny that China 有人可以否认中国正在飞速发展。is developing rapidly. At least not anyone who 少没有一个经常去中国的人会否认 visits China on a regular basis. Finally, we know that we do not know how 我们知道我们不了解中国会怎 China will change the WTO. What role will the 最后, country play in shaping future trade talks? Will 样改变 WTO。对于形成未来的贸易 China&#39;s presence prompt other members to address the concerns of developing nations 对话, 中国会扮演什么样的角色? 中 国的加入是否会使其他成员国更愿 这一点。more readily? And how will another large player 意关注发展中国家的问题?桌边又 at the table affect overall group dynamics? One thing that is clearthe WTO is much more of a global body now than it was prior to China&#39;s一个大玩家会对全组的动力产生什 么样的影响?现在 WTO 比 entry. Simply put, no organization can rightly 有一点是非常清楚的call itself global if it does not include the world&#39;s 在中国加入之前更成为一个全球性 most populous nation. Forgotten knowledge 的组织。简单地说,如果不包括这 个全世界具有最多人口的国家, 没有 一个组织可以问心无愧地说自己是 全球性的组织。The third area I want to discuss is what we do not know we know. A translation of which might be the things we already know but often overlook or outright forget. 我想讨论的第三部分是我们不知道 For example, when it comes to Hong Kong, some people seem to think the SAR will be 自己了解的事。也可以说是我们已经 被遗忘的内容知道, 但经常忽略或者完全忘记的东 surpassed. Replaced if you will. This doomsday 西。group seems to forget the fact that many of Hong Kong&#39;s infrastructural and institutional attributes - including its free-market philosophy, the rule of law and free flow of 比如,当提到香港时,有些人似乎认 为香港特别行政区会被超越。如果你capital - are attributes which are impossible for 愿意,也可以说是替代。这些认为到 any other city in China to replicate any time soon In terms of China itself, some executives of 了世界末日的人似乎忘记了这一事 实, 许多香港的基础结构和机构的特 质 - 包括它的自由市场的思想,法 治和资本的自由流动 - 是中国的任 some companies still drool over the prospects 何其它城市在短时间内都无法效仿 of selling their goods or services to a single 的。market of 1.3 billion people. They seem to overlook or forget the fact that the Mainland 某些公司的高级官员 market includes 23 provinces, five autonomous 对于中国本身, 希望可以把自己的商 regions, four municipalities directly under the 还是满怀信心, central government, five special economic zones, 14 open coastal and border cities, 15 export processing areas, 14 bonded zones, some 30 provincial-level economic and technological development zones and more 品或服务给一个拥有 13 亿消费 者的市场。他们似乎忽略或者忘记 了这一事实,中国内地的市场包括 23 个省,5 个自治区,4 个直辖市, 5 个经济特区,14 个沿海和沿边开 than 50 new and high-technology development 放城市,15 个出口加工区,14 个保 zones. At least at last count. And while the preferential policies of some of these special zones will gradually disappear under WTO, the complexities of doing business in such a vast market will not. A fact which - I submit - should subdue any remaining overactive salivary glands. 尽管在中国加入 WTO 以后某些区 域的优惠政策会逐步取消, 在这样一 个巨大的市场里开展业务的复杂性 Finally, there are some who seem to think that 并不会消失。我承认,这一事实会打 China&#39;s entry into the WTO will provide an 消任何对这个市场过度乐观的念头。avenue to solve all future trade disputes. They seem to forget that the WTO is often used more as a weapon for protectionism than as a shield 最后,有一些人似乎认为中国加入 for open markets. WTO 会为未来所有的贸易争端提 供解决的方法。他们似乎忘记了 Personally, I think China will work very hard to WTO 经常更多地被用作保护贸易主 live up to its commitments and to operate 义的武器, 而不是用作开放市场的盾 within the rules of the WTO. And if they are smart - and I think they are - they will also seek ways to exploit the rules to the benefit of their own industries. In other words they will act much like every other country on the WTO membership list. Applying one&#39;s knowledge 我个人认为, 中国将会非常努力地争 取完成它的承诺, 并且遵守 WTO 的 运作。如果中国人够聪明 - 我 认为他们确实如此 - 他们也会为了 本国行业的利益而寻找可以利用这 些规则的方法。换句话说,他们的行 Against this backdrop of knowledge - both the 动会和 WTO 成员国名单上的其它 known and the unknown - it is clear that some 国家一样。foreign companies are itching to get access to the Mainland market. 应用自己的知识 I recall reading the comments of one executive who said his two most important questions 在这种认知的基础上 - 包括已知的 about China are &which month& and &which day& 和未知的 - 很明显某些外国公司正 his company will get the necessary approvals. 渴望进入中国内地市场。He went on to say&If I get four questions, then 牌。税区,大约 30 个省级经济和科技发 展区, 还有超过 50 个新兴的高科 技发展区。至少最近的一次统计是这 样。 the third question would be at which hour, and the fourth at which minute we will get our license.& And just so you know, you can all breathe 我记得读到过一位高级官员的评论, 他说他对于中国的两个最重要的问 题是&哪个月& 和&哪一天&他的公司 可以得到必须的批准。他又说:&如 easier, he was not from an American company! 果我有四个问题, 那么第三个问题就 是在哪一个小时, 第四个问题则是哪 The reality is that anyone focused solely on the short-term gains or anyone who is prone to impatience is destined to be disappointed. China is like any developing market. It takes 尽管如此,大家可以松一口气,因为 time to build a business. Profits cannot be made 他不是来自于美国公司! overnight. It is not a place for foreign companies to improve next quarter&#39;s earnings. 实际上, 任何一个仅仅注重短期利益 HSBC for its part is not a typical foreign company in the Mainland. As I mentioned 增长的人或是任何一个容易失去耐 一分钟我们可以得到许可。&心的人都注定会失望。中国同任何发 earlier, our roots are in China. We have had a 展中的市场都一样。业务的建立需要 continuous presence in the Mainland for more 一定的时间。利润不可能很快就得 than 135 years. Our name is also well known. 到。中国这个地方不能使外国公司马 For example, one survey done in Beijing, 上提高下一季度的收入。Shanghai and Guangzhou found that we were by far the most-recognised foreign financial institution. Close to 90 per cent of the respondents said they were familiar with the name HSBC. The next closest foreign bank scored in the low 70s. Despite this history and this recognition, we know that we will not automatically benefit from the further opening of China&#39;s financial 汇丰银行在中国内地并不是典型的 外国公司。我刚才已经提到过,我们 的诞生地就在中国。我们在中国内地 的业务从未间断, 已超过了 135 年。我们的名字也广为人知。比如,在北 京,上海和广州进行的一项调查发 现, 我们迄今为止是知名度最高的外 资金融机构。接近 90%的受访者说services sector under WTO. We know that we 他们对汇丰这个名字很熟悉。排在第 will have to work very hard to maintain our 二位的外资银行认知率仅仅为 position. And we are. We have moved our China headquarters to Pudong in Shanghai. We have signed RMB remittance pacts with all four of the big state 尽管我们有悠久的历史和比较高的 知名度, 我们知道自己不会从中国在 70%。 banks and we continue to seek ways to enhance 加入 WTO 后进一步开放的金融服务 我们知道自己必须 our co-operation with domestic banks. On the 中自动获得利益。我们 people side, localisation remains a top priority. 非常努力才能保持自己的地位。Already, nine out of every 10 of our Mainland 确实是在这么做。staff are hired locally. Recently we along with a few other foreign banks were given permission to offer foreign 我们已经把中国业务总部迁到了上 海浦东。我们已经和所有四大国有银我 currency services to mainland Chinese citizens 行签订了人民币汇款的合作条约, and corporations in select cities. In HSBC&#39;s case, we are allowed to offer such services in 们也继续在寻找增强同中资银行合 作的途径。在员工这方面,本地化一我们在内地的 three citiesBeijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. 直是优先考虑的问题。员工已经有 90%是在本地招聘的。Last December we also purchased an 8 per cent equity stake in the Bank of Shanghai. In addition to becoming the first foreign commercial bank to be allowed to invest in a domestic Chinese bank, we also became - in effect - partners with the Shanghai Municipal Government, the major shareholder in the bank. For us, it was a high and historic note on which to end the year 2001. 去年 12 月我们购入了上海银行 8% 除了成为第一家获准投资中 Just as an aside, not everyone seems to agree 的股权。that our purchase of a strategic stake in the Bank of Shanghai was all that momentous. 资银行的外资商业银行之外, 我们也 成为 - 事实上是如此 - 上海市政 府的合作伙伴, 因为它是上海银行的 For example, in subsequent articles heralding 主要股东。对于我们来说,这是为 the precedent-setting deal, one foreign banker 2001 年的末尾添上的圆满的一笔, was quoted as saying&Most of the banks have 具有很大的历史意义。been offering 15 per cent to the market. If you get 15 per cent you don&#39;t get anything.& Another foreign banker said that our purchase 结论 was &only symbolic& and &without any actual benefits.& He also said that his bank had no interest in acquiring a minority stake in any Mainland financial institution 今天早上我已经花了很多时间谈论 从 2001 年 12 月 11 日开始正式生 效的 WTO 协议所带来的影响。我 也简单提到了另一个在 1972 年 2 最近我们和其他几家外资银行一起 获准在部分城市向中国内地的居民 和企业提供外币业务。我们汇丰获准 在北京, 上海和广州这三个城市提供 这项服务。 I will not tell you who made these rather pessimistic comments, if for no other reason than to help both individuals &#39;save face&#39; should their banks later decide to reconsider. What I will say is that both work for our so-called &#39;strategic competitors&#39;. Consequently, I am inclined to think they were suffering from a touch of fermented fruit syndrome. Otherwise known as a case of sour grapes! Conclusion月 28 日签订的具有历史意义的协 议。事实上, 在中国加入 WTO 和中美上 海公报的签订这两者之间有许多相 似的地方。这两个协议都显著地改变了整个世 界。两个协议都标志着逐步增加接触 的开始 . . . 包括经济的,还有其它I have s

我要回帖

更多关于 英语三分钟演讲 的文章

随机推荐