the third paragraph is developed mainly by___. third是什么意思思?

Liverpool, my hometown, is a unique city. It is so
unique that in 2004 it became a World Heritage Site.
  I recently
returned to my home city and my first stop was at a museum on the River Mersey.
Blanketed in mist(薄雾), Victorian architecture rose from the
banks of the river, responded to the sounds of sea-birds, and appeared
unbelievably charming. When I headed toward the centre, I found myself
surrounded by buildings that mirror the best palaces of Europe. It is not hard
to imagine why, on first seeing the city, most visitors would be overpowered by
the beauty of the noble buildings, which are solid signs of Liverpool’s
history.
  As if to
stress its cultural role, Liverpool has more museums and galleries(美术馆) than most cities in Britain. At Walker Art Gallery,
I was told that it has the best collections of Victorian paintings in the
world, and is the home of modern art in the north of England. However, culture
is more than galleries. Liverpool offers many music events. As Britain’s No.1
music city, it has the biggest city music festival in Europe, and its musicians
are famous all over the world. Liverpool is also well-known for its football
and other sports events. Every year, the Mersey River Festival attracts
thousands of visitors, making the city a place of wonder.
  As you would
expect from such a city, there are restaurants serving food from around the
world. When my trip was about to complete, I chose to rest my legs in
Liverpool’s famous Philharmonic pub(酒馆). It is a
monument to perfection, and a heritage attraction itself.
  Being a
World Heritage Site, my home city is certainly a place of “outstanding universal
value”. It is a treasure house with plenty of secrets for the world to explore.
1.Visitors who see the city for the first time would
be deeply impressed by________
A.its charming
banks&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.its famous
museums
C.its wonderful
palaces&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.its
attractive buildings
2.The third paragraph is developed mainly by______
A.providing
different examples&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.following the
order of space
C.making
comparisons&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.analyzing
causes
3.What is the passage mainly about?
A.The universal
value of the world heritage in Liverpool
B.The exciting
experience of the author in Liverpool
C.The special
cultural atmosphere of Liverpool
D.The beautiful
historic sites of Liverpool
Liverpool, my hometown, is a unique city. It is so unique that in 2004 it became a World Heritage Site.  I recently returned to my home city and my first stop was at a museum on the River Mersey. Blanketed in mist(薄雾), Victorian architecture rose from the banks of the river, responded to the sounds of sea-birds, and appeared unbelievably charming. When I headed toward the centre, I found myself surrounded by buildings that mirror the best palaces of Europe. It is not hard to imagine why, on first seeing the city, most visitors would be overpowered by the beauty of the noble buildings, which are solid signs of Liverpool’s history.  As if to stress its cultural role, Liverpool has more museums and galleries(美术馆) than most cities in Britain. At Walker Art Gallery, I was told that it has the best collections of Victorian paintings in the world, and is the home of modern art in the north of England. However, culture is more than galleries. Liverpool offers many music events. As Britain’s No.1 music city, it has the biggest city music festival in Europe, and its musicians are famous all over the world. Liverpool is also well-known for its football and other sports events. Every year, the Mersey River Festival attracts thousands of visitors, making the city a place of wonder.  As you would expect from such a city, there are restaurants serving food from around the world. When my trip was about to complete, I chose to rest my legs in Liverpool’s famous Philharmonic pub(酒馆). It is a monument to perfection, and a heritage attraction itself.  Being a World Heritage Site, my home city is certainly a place of “outstanding universal value”. It is a treasure house with plenty of secrets for the world to explore.68. Visitors who see the city for the first time would be deeply impressed by________ 
A. its charming banks    
B. its famous museums 
C. its wonderful palaces    D. its attractive buildings69. The third paragraph is developed mainly by______ 
A. providing different examples   B. following the order of space 
C. making comparisons        D. analyzing causes70. What is the passage mainly about? 
A. The universal value of the world heritage in Liverpool 
B. The exciting experience of the author in Liverpool 
C. The special cultural atmosphere of Liverpool  D. The beautiful historic sites of Liverpool
Liverpool, my hometown, is a unique city. It is so unique that in 2004 it became a World Heritage (遗产) Site. &I recently returned to my home city and my first stop was at a museum on the River Mersey. Blanketed in mist (薄雾), Victorian architecture rose from the banks of the river, responded to the sounds of sea-birds, and appeared unbelievably charming. When I headed toward the centre, I found myself surrounded by buildings that mirror the best palaces of Europe. It is not hard to imagine why, on first seeing the city, most visitors would be overpowered by the beauty of the noble buildings, which are solid signs of Liverpool’s history. &As if stress its cultural role, Liverpool has more museums and galleries (美术馆) than most cities in Britain. At Walker Art Gallery, I was told that it has best collections of Victorian paintings in the world, and is the home of modern art in the north of England. However, culture is more than galleries. Liverpool offers many music events. As Britain’s No.1 music city, it has the biggest city music festival in Europe, and its musicians are famous all over the world. Liverpool is also well-known for its football and other sports events. Every year, the Mersey River Festival attracts thousands of visitors, madding the city a place of wonder. &As you would expect from such a city, there are restaurants serving food from around the world. When my trip was about to complete, I chose to rest my legs in Liverpool’s famous Philharmonic pub (酒馆). It is a monument to perfection, and a heritage attraction itself. &Being a World Heritage Site, my home city is certainly a place of “outstanding universal value”. It is a treasure house with plenty of secrets for the world to explore. &  68. Visitors who see the city for the first time would be deeply impressed by________  A. its charming banks  B. its famous museums  C. its wonderful palaces  D. its attractive buildings  69. The third paragraph is developed mainly by______  A. providing different examples  B. following the order of space  C. making comparisons  D. analyzing causes  70. The author uses the Philharmonic pub to prove that_______  A. Liverpool is a well-known city for its restaurants  B. Liverpool is an impressive place full of attraction  C. a pub is a wonderful place for visitors to relax themselves  D. a pub is a perfect choice for visitors to complete their journey  71. What is the passage mainly about?  A. The universal value of the world heritage in Liverpool  B. The exciting experience of the author in Liverpool  C. The special cultural atmosphere of LiverpoolD. The beautiful historic sites of Liverpool&
Liverpool, my hometown, is a unique city. It is so unique that in 2004 it became a World Heritage (遗产) Site. &I recently returned to my home city and my first stop was at a museum on the River Mersey. Blanketed in mist (薄雾), Victorian architecture rose from the banks of the river, responded to the sounds of sea-birds, and appeared unbelievably charming. When I headed toward the centre, I found myself surrounded by buildings that mirror the best palaces of Europe. It is not hard to imagine why, on first seeing the city, most visitors would be overpowered by the beauty of the noble buildings, which are solid signs of Liverpool’s history. &As if stress its cultural role, Liverpool has more museums and galleries (美术馆) than most cities in Britain. At Walker Art Gallery, I was told that it has best collections of Victorian paintings in the world, and is the home of modern art in the north of England. However, culture is more than galleries. Liverpool offers many music events. As Britain’s No.1 music city, it has the biggest city music festival in Europe, and its musicians are famous all over the world. Liverpool is also well-known for its football and other sports events. Every year, the Mersey River Festival attracts thousands of visitors, madding the city a place of wonder. &As you would expect from such a city, there are restaurants serving food from around the world. When my trip was about to complete, I chose to rest my legs in Liverpool’s famous Philharmonic pub (酒馆). It is a monument to perfection, and a heritage attraction itself. &Being a World Heritage Site, my home city is certainly a place of “outstanding universal value”. It is a treasure house with plenty of secrets for the world to explore. &  68. Visitors who see the city for the first time would be deeply impressed by________  A. its charming banks  B. its famous museums  C. its wonderful palaces  D. its attractive buildings  69. The third paragraph is developed mainly by______  A. providing different examples  B. following the order of space  C. making comparisons  D. analyzing causes  70. The author uses the Philharmonic pub to prove that_______  A. Liverpool is a well-known city for its restaurants  B. Liverpool is an impressive place full of attraction  C. a pub is a wonderful place for visitors to relax themselves  D. a pub is a perfect choice for visitors to complete their journey  71. What is the passage mainly about?  A. The universal value of the world heritage in Liverpool  B. The exciting experience of the author in Liverpool  C. The special cultural atmosphere of LiverpoolD. The beautiful historic sites of Liverpool&
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
作业讨论群:【图文】阅读理解_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
上传于||暂无简介
大小:138.00KB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢请在这里输入关键词:
科目:高中英语
来源:2010年东北三校哈师大附中、东北师大附中、辽宁省实验高三第一次联考(英语)
题型:阅读理解
To be able to motivate oneself, or self-motivate, occurs when a person has the willingness to do something and is internally(内在地) motivated to do it. Sometimes it’s very difficult to get ourselves moving. The natural tendency is to postpone. Life just seems to get in the way! There is a job to go to, groceries to do, television to watch—whoops! I guess we get pretty good at finding excuses to escape getting started on goals like an exercise routine or reading a new book. The fact is that we are creatures of routine and habit. So what can we do to motivate ourselves to accomplish our goals?&Here are some tips on how to get moving:l&Decide what you want. It’s hard to motivate an aimless mind. Set a goal and decide how you are going to go about it. Then break it down into smaller sections so it’s easier to handle and less overwhelming.(势不可挡)l&Keep track of your progress. Keep a log or journal where you can measure how much you have accomplished. Looking at it can also motivate you to keep pushing ahead. l&Post motivating pictures or slogans within your sight. It is always inspiring to see pictures of people who have accomplished what you’re going for. It makes it attainable and realistic. Likewise, little slogans like “go for it” or “just do it” can give you the little support you need.&&&&l&Sometimes we forget what we set out to do and a little reminder is all we need to be revitalized (激活) and focus on the end result. If you remind yourself to go for the desired promotion, it will re-establish why you are doing what you’re doing. l&Make it a habit. Once you have accomplished your objective, e.g. becoming an early riser, keep it up so that it’s second nature to you and you don’t have to think about it anymore. 64. According to the author, some people fail to achieve their goals because ________.A. they don’t have enough desireB. their life is filled with routine workC. they benefit from the force of habitD. they naturally put off forming new habits65. It can be inferred from the underlined sentence that ________. A. self-motivation needs repeated self-reminding of one’s goal B. in modern society people tend to become forgetfulC. when we forget our goal, our life becomes meaninglessD. we can achieve our goal only by focusing on the end result 66. To get moving on your goal, you can do the following EXCEPT ________. A. keep a diary to clearly judge your distance to your goalB. make self-improvement your second natureC. forget your aim and revitalize yourself with slogansD. support yourself by hanging inspiring pictures in your house67. Which of the following is the best title for the passage? A. Set Goals in Your Life&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. Get Yourself Motivated C. Get into Good Habits&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. Do Not Postpone
来源:江苏省徐州市2010届高三下学期第三次调研考试(英语)
Sports medicine experts have observed for& years that athletes such as long distance runners, especially women athletes, often display a lack of iron. Now a new study by a team of Purdue University researchers suggests that even moderate exercise may lead to reduced iron in the blood of women.&&&"We found that women who were normally inactive and then started a program of moderate exercise of middle degree showed sings of iron loss," says Roseanne M. Lyle, associate professor at Purdue. Her study of 62 formerly inactive women who began exercising three times a week for six months was published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.Iron deficiency is very common among women in general, affecting one in four female teenagers and one in five women aged 18 to 45, respectively. But the ratio is even greater among active women, affecting up to 80 percent of female endurance athletes. This means, Lyle says, that "too many women ignore the amount of iron they take in". Women of child-bearing age are at greatest risk, since their monthly bleeding is a major source of iron loss. Plus, many health-conscious women increase their risk by rejecting red meat, which contains the most easily absorbed form of iron. And because women often restrict their diet in an effort to control weight, they may not consume enough iron-rich food, and are liable to experience a deficiency.Exercise can result in iron loss through a variety of mechanisms. Some iron is lost in sweat, and, for unknown reasons, intense endurance exercise is sometimes associated with bleeding of the digestive system. Athletes in high-impact sports such as running may also lose iron through a phenomenon where small blood vessels in the feet leak blood.There are three stages of iron deficiency. The first and most common is having low iron reserves, a condition that typically has no symptoms. Fatigue and poor performance may begin to appear in the second stage of deficiency, when not enough iron is present to form the molecules(分子) of blood protein that transport oxygen to the working muscles. In the third and final stage, people often feel weak, tired, and out of breath - and exercise performance is severely compromised."People think that if they're not at the third stage, nothing is wrong, but that's not true," says John L. Beard, who helped design the Purdue study. "You're not stage 3 until your iron reserves go to zero, and if you wait until that point, you're in trouble." Beard and other experts say it’s advisable for people to have a yearly blood test. If iron levels are low, talk with a physician to see if the deficiency should be corrected by changing your diet and taking iron-rich foods or by taking iron-added pills.“Select breads and cereals with the words ‘iron-added’ on the label,” writes sports diet expert Nancy Clark. “This added iron supplements the small amount that naturally occurs in grains.” Clark also recommends cooking in iron pans, as food can obtain iron from the pan during the cooking process.64.Which of the following may be the title for the passage? A.Science, sports and exercise B.Correct iron deficiency C.Women, Iron and exercise D.Women, health and exercise65.The third paragraph is developed mainly by________ . A.organizing the details according to the order of time B.presenting the result followed by specific causes C.beginnign with details followed by a general statement D.making comparisons ad contrasts66.What does it mean when you are in the third stage of iron defieiency? A.Nothing serious though you don’t have much iron stored in the body. B.There is not enough iron to form the molecules of blood protein to transport oxygen. C.The small blood vessels in your reet are beginnig to leak blood. D.No iron is left in your body and you would be in trouble without urgent measures.67.What is the writer’s attitude in writing this passage? A.Defensive.&&&&&& B.Persuasive. &&&& C.Supportive.&&&&& D.Objective.
来源:福建省学年高二下学期期中考试英语试题
It’s not too late!
CLEARING VACANCIES AT
THE UNIVERSITY
l&& Founded in 1927, the University is
traditional yet progressive
l&& Recognized nationally and internationally
for excellence in teaching and research
l&& Equal 4th in the UK for graduate to find
jobs
l&& Study on an attractive campus only 15 minutes
from the City centre
l&& Wide variety of accommodation to choose from
l&& Excellent sporting and social facilities
l&& Friendly and supportive environment
WE STILL HAVE
CHANCES IN
l&& ENGINEERING
l&& SCIENCE
l&& MATHEMATICS
l&& SOCIAL SCIENCES
Email admissions @
admin, hull. ac. uk www. hull. ac.uk
The advertisement on the left is about _______.
A.
offering chances to study at the university
B.
graduation from the university
C.
looking for jobs for students from the university
D.
the history of the university
In which country is the university?
A.
The USA&&&& B. Britain& C.
Hull&&&&&&&& D. We don’t know
If you want to study history, you should call______ &.
&C. &&
D. any of the above numbers
How many different ways are there in which you can get in touch with the
university if you want to enter?_________.
A.
One&&&& B. Two&&& C. Three&&&
D. Four
来源:2010届江西省联考英语试题
题型:其他题
对话填空(共10小题,每小题1分,满分10分)
阅读下面对话,掌握其大意,并根据所给字母的提示,在标有题号的右边横线上写出一个英语单词的完整、正确形式,使对话通顺。
R =& Reporter&& Z =&
Zhang& Ying
R: Mrs. Zhang,last year a heavy earthquake
(76) s&&&&&&&this area and
destroyed almost all the buildings in the village. Can you tell us the
Z: In two weeks it will be the first
anniversary of (77) w&&&&&the earthquake destroyed
our village on May 12,2008. My husband and I had been
(78) r&&&&&&&a
restaurant for several years. On that terrible day,everything was destroyed. My
husband was killed in the second quake.
R: What happened in the weeks after the
quake and how did you get
(79)o&&&&&&&it?
Z: I moved to a nearby village. The death
of my husband was of course the
(80) w&&&&&&thing.
I was desperate.
R: What made you decide to reopen the
restaurant?
Z: First of all,I had to make a living. More
importantly,I did
(81) h&&&&&&&my
husband. The restaurant had been his greatest achievement.
R: Was it easy to reopen the restaurant?
Z: No. My friends and relatives put some
money together. I received some financial (82) a&&&&&&&from
the local government. I was also able to take out a
(83) l&&&&&&&&from
the bank. With the money and all the help I got,I reopened the restaurant.
R: Do you often think about the disaster?
Z: Yes. I thought the earthquake was the
day my life ended,even though I was a survivor. But I (84) m&&&&&&&to
cheer up. I just did not know I had the
(85) c&&&&&&&to
keep it up.
76___________
77___________
78___________
79___________
80___________
81___________
82___________
83___________
84___________
85___________
【2011·河北邯郸市二模】
完型填空(共20小题;每小题1.5分,满分30分)
阅读下面短文,掌握其大意,然后从各题所给的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出最佳选项,并在答题卡上将该项涂黑。
“I am so proud
of you and all you have achieved. I &&21& your opinion
from. The L. A. Times with my family and thought about you as my student at Hibbing High School.”
It was &&&22&
Margarel Leibfried, — a teacher who helped me believe that I could become&&
Thirty years
ago, in Hibbing, I& 24& high school as a bookish introvert(内向)made all the more shy
because I was the school’s only non—while student. I always felt& 25& being swept away
by a sea of golden hair schoolmates. By 10th grade, I’d developed strange
behavior, hoping to &&26& being laughed at as a “brain”.
I spent a lot of time alone, reading and writing stories.
Ms. Leibfried
taught composition grammar, as well as the usual – memorizing vocabulary and
reading& 27& .
Exciting to me,
that is. Many of my classmates expressed dislike for novels because they were “not
real.” For once, I didn’t care what they thought. Ms. Leibfried seemed to
notice my&& 28& in both reading and writing, and she took
the she&& 29&& offered reading
suggestions.
That year’s big
task was a book report, to be read aloud to &&30& . &&31&
, Ms. Leibfried suggested I do something “a little different.” Instead of a
report. I was to &&&32&& a passage from a book,
memorize it and reeite it in front of the class.
The morning of
the presentations, I remember& 33& sweating(出汗)so badly as I walked to the
front of the class that I held my hands& 34& in prayer(祈祷)formation, so I wouldn’t
wipe them on my shirt. I finished and, &&35& , the class
broke out in applause(鼓掌). “As a writer and a good reader, Marie has& 36& a
particularly sensitive part of novel and &&37& it
beautifully,” Ms. Leibfried said, smiling. I felt, maybe for the first time,
confident.
appreciate how much& 38& it must have taken for those teachers
to let me move away so &&39& from the lesson plan. With
today’s pressure on teachers to “teach to the test,” I wonder if any would or
could take the time to find the potential(潜力)in a single, &&&40&& student. Good
teaching helps make productive and fully realized adults – a result that won’t
show up in each term’s test scores.
21.A.shared&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.proved&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.introduced&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.explained
22.A.written&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.signed&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.marked&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.said
23.A.a student&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.a teacher&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.a writer&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.an adult
24.A.left&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.served&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.entered&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.missed
25.A.in charge of&&&&&&&&&&& B.in honor of&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.in danger of&&&&&&&&&&& D.in need of
26.A.escape&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.stand&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.enjoy&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.admit
27.A.news&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.poems&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.novels&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.diaries
28.A.mistakes&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.interest&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.condition&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.trouble
29.A.still&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.never&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.only&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.even
30.A.the teachers&&&&&&&&&&& B.the parents&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.the class&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.the public
31.A.Therefore&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.However&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.Besides&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.Otherwise
32.A.pick&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.write&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.read&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.describe
33.A.my face&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.my legs&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.my hands&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.my neck
34.A.cupped&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.closed&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.tied&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.covered
35.A.to my sadness&&&&&&&& B.to my surprise&&&&&&&& C.to my joy&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.to my delight
36.A.looked out&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.picked out&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.put out&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.carried out
37.A.carried&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.drew&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.delivered&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.designed
38.A.courage&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.attention&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.knowledge&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.pleasure
39.A.seriously&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.broadly&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.similarly&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.carly
40.A.good&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.bad&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.shy&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.strange
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
作业讨论群:

我要回帖

更多关于 third是什么意思 的文章

随机推荐