以“an extraordinary teacher in mynetop school teacherca

Categories
No categoriesThe following is a list of new and recent books published by In Our Words. There are a number of other new titles in the pipeline. More details coming soon!
JUST RELEASED!
Elementals&poems
By Bradley McIlwain
ISBN: 978-1--7 (pbk.)
Price: $15.00&
Elementals — Excerpts
Excerpt from &Introduction,& in Elementals:
I started recording other impressions or lessons from nature and how we interact with the natural world in our daily lives, from the song of a robin to brighten our day on the way to work, or the presence of a crow perched outside in the rain. They are part of our stories, too.
Elementals is inspired by our exploring of our sublime connectedness with nature, and how we navigate our own personal wilderness inside ourselves. &
Many of these poems were written outside in the elements, or while seeking shelter from them.&
Every so often we are reminded of how a walk down a wooded path can seem like stepping into a fairytale. I hope to capture the essence of those enchanted realms in this collection.
Our interaction with the elements, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water have the ability to transform our Spirit. These poems are like a trail of breadcrumbs&a magic bean stock&hopefully one that will inspire you to discover the mysteries of the natural world around you and, most especially, in you.&
&~ Bradley McIlwain
Author&s bio:
Bradley McIlwain lives in Brooklin, Ontario, Canada, where he is inspired by the songs in nature, and examining our relationships within it. His poetry has appeared in anthologies such as Love Notes: A Collection of Romantic Poetry (Vagabondage Press, 2012), The 5-2 Crime Poetry Weekly Vol. 2 (2013), and Something&s Brewing (Kind of a Hurricane Press, 2014). Bradley is the author of Fracture and Visiting Hours (Blurb 2010 and 2012). His third poetry chapbook, Philosopher&s Walk (Origami Poems Project, 2014) is available for a free download:
Bradley graduated from the University of Toronto&s iSchool, where he received his M.I. in Library and Information Science.
REVIEWS FOR ELEMENTALS poems:
&Bradley McIlwain explores the physical and metaphysical in his book, Elementals. The book is neatly arranged into five sections: Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit. &McIlwain makes magic, both romantic and earthy in his sensuous and serious verse. These are good, strong poems which offer an ancient flavor of mystique and a lot of powerful imagery. He engages the reader in different environments of place and language. From Mt. Everest to a Family Tree, to a Spirit Guide, the beautiful and the unusual are exemplified in this illuminating collection.&
~ I.B. Iskov, Founder, The Ontario Poetry Society
&With thoughtful honesty,&Bradley McIlwain leads us in a soulful pilgrimage to explore, more deeply, each element weaved into the fabric of human experience.&&
~ Juniper Clarke
&These are poems that give you pause as you go about life. Pause to not only deal with the elements in the physical sense, but to look deeper, as McIlwain puts it, at &the mysteries of the natural world around you and, most especially, in you.&&&
~ Cheryl Antao-Xavier, Poet &
JUST RELEASED!
Walking on Eggshells
a couple&s journey through transgenderism
By Noreen Antao
ISBN: 978-1--0& (pbk.)
Price:&CAN: $19.95& US: $17.95&&
Walking on Eggshells - Excerpts
Walking on Eggshells is an intimate look into the life and relationships of a crossdresser. The honest, heartwarming narrative is a head-on assault on the misconceptions and stereotypes that feed into the &taboo& surrounding heterosexual crossdressers. The reader follows Antao as she drives deep inroads through the mire of ignorance and prejudice, exploring the subtle differences between crossdressers and LGBQT orientation, and showing the humanity and joie de vivre that happens when an individual is able to self-express and live a life of choice.
Excerpt from Walking on Eggshells:
&I was walking on eggshells almost everywhere we went& Jason&s major secret now became mine too. This caused me fear, anxiety, and knots in my stomach. It made me physically ill whenever I was around friends and family. I couldn&t speak to anyone about this skeleton that had just come out of Jason&s closet. Jason&s coming out of the closet to me, put me in the closet with him.&&
Author&s bio: Noreen Antao immigrated to the United States of America thirty years ago and for the last twenty years has enjoyed a successful career in sales in the wireless telecommunications industry. Her strong empathy for people suffering injustices, particularly those whose &life& is considered taboo by society. She has ghostwritten the book The Life and Legend of Robert (Stonewall) Jackson (). Walking on Eggshells is her second book. She lives in Texas with her family. &
JUST RELEASED!
Mississauga Youth Anthology Volume III
Compiled by Cynthia Feng for Ink Movement
Editors: Amy Kwong, Sadia Sheikh, Kathy Hu, Sarena Daljeet, Ahmad Younes, Tanisha Mehta
ISBN: 978-1--3 (pbk.)
Price: CAN&$12.00
Mississauga Youth Anthology Volume III
The Ink Movement Mississauga team has put an immense effort into [The Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume III] having received over 200 extremely diverse submissions for the anthology, covering a wide range of art forms, ideas, topics and styles. Our team spent weeks selecting the works and arranging them into our three-part theme: dreams, nostalgia, and regret. As you flip through the writing, artwork, and photography in the pages before you, we hope you reflect and resonate with the stories our contributors have captured.
&Cynthia Feng, President, Ink Movement&
A collection of those very thoughts: the dreams, nostalgias, and regrets of the youth in Mississauga. Today, they share their stories with you, whether it be through prose, poetry, photography, or art.
&Amy Kwong, Youth Anthology Lead
The Mississauga Youth Anthology became Ink Movement&s signature project because it provides an outlet for youth to share their stories in the form of poetry, short stories, essays, visual art, and photography. The anthology series celebrates creative expression, artistry, and voices that may not otherwise be acknowledged in literature.
&Maxwell Tran, Founder, Ink Movement &
JUST RELEASED!
I too Hear the Drums&stories REVISED EDITION
By Peta-Gaye Nash
ISBN 978-1--5
Price: $20.00&
ISBN: 978-1--2
I too Hear the Drums
I head to the Caribbean Student Association where I am told that I cannot join. It&s a club for West Indians, I am told.
&I&m from Jamaica,& I insist.&
&Prove it,& he says. &Can you hear the drums?&&
I am taken aback. I feel slapped in the face. &Were you born in Jamaica?& I ask.&
&No, but I can hear the drums.&&
&I can hear the drums,& I say, &but I don&t need to wear my culture on my t-shirt. It&s in my blood. Screw your association.&&
When I walk away, I think, what fucking drums? He wasn&t in Jamaica for the brain drain, the political riots, the empty supermarket shelves, the senseless murders where we all knew people who died. He was in rich North America learning how to be Jamaican second-hand. & from I too Hear the Drums by Peta-Gaye Nash
Testimonial for I too Hear the Drums&by Nina Munteanu, educator and author of Water Is&
Peta-Gaye Nash&s short story collection reads like a coursing life-river, edged with the turbulent grit of poverty, ignorance and class-struggle. The collection sings a kind of paradoxical discordant harmony that reflects Nash&s mixed cultural heritage and evolution. Sometimes dream-like and soaring with victory, other times as dark and organic as the Jamaican loam, her tales are spun in threads of multi-coloured yarn. I Too Hear the Drums is political, social and environmental. It is an eloquent tapestry of stories, whose reflections, laments, and victories illuminate how &place& brands our hearts and souls forever.
Author bio
Jamaican-born Peta-Gaye Nash writes fiction and children&s books. She blogs on her website at . I too Hear the Drums is her collection of short stories, originally published in 2010. This revised edition has additional new stories. Peta-Gaye teaches English as a second language and lives in Mississauga, Ontario with her family. &
JUST RELEASED!
Essie Wants an Education
Written by Peta-Gaye Nash
Illustrated by Jiemin Wang
ISBN:&978-1--3
Essie wants an Education
This is an endearing story of a squirrel who longs to go to school to learn all sorts of interesting things, just like the school kids whom she watches through the classroom window. When Essie is finally allowed to go to school, she learns something that changes the lives of all her friends in the squirrel world.
&It is important to get an education,& said Essie to the squirrels. &You learn interesting things you would never know otherwise.&
Author&s bio:
Jamaican-born Peta-Gaye Nash writes fiction and children&s books. She blogs on her website at . She has written four other children&s books and has a sixth planned for release shortly. Her children&s books address themes of self-acceptance and integration of racial diversity. Peta-Gaye teaches English as a second language and lives in Mississauga, Ontario with her family. &
JUST RELEASED!
Letters from the Singularity&poems&
By Josie Di Sciascio-Andrews
ISBN:&978-1--6
Letters from the Singularity—poems
Author&s bio:
Josie Di Sciascio-Andrews has written three collections of poetry: The Whispers of Stones, Sea Glass and The Red Accordion. Nature and one&s place in it, as well as memory and social justice are her muse. In 2013 her poem &The Red Accordion& was shortlisted for Descant&s Winston Collins Best Canadian Poem Prize. In 2014 her poem &Emerald City& was shortlisted for The Malahat Review&s Open Seasons Award. Josie&s poetry has been published in many journals and anthologies. Josie lives, teaches and writes in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Praise for Letters from the Singularity:
In Letters from the Singularity, Josie Di Sciascio-Andrews takes the universe (&expanding from its zero point&) and molds it into a series of poems about intimacy, angst, memory, identity, death & and the hope & the impossible light that keeps us all going. Fearless, Di Sciascio-Andrews exposes her heart&s &raw wound& while searching for &love&s treasure&. Mature, engaging poetry that both startles and soothes.&& ~ Michael Mirolla, Bressani-Prize winning author of The House on 14th Avenue
Josie&s poems are finely detailed charts of the heart&s metaphysics.&~ Ursula Vaira, Publisher, Leaf Press
Josie Di Sciascio-Andrews is sure to become one of Canada&s most prolific and public poets. Her writing, voice and persona are hers alone, yet simultaneously, ours too. She explores all facets of humanity and its flaws and perfections in a unique style, weaving invisible threads of imagery throughout each poem.&& ~ I.B. Iskov, Founder, The Ontario Poetry Society &
The Literary Connection Volume I
Cheryl Antao-Xavier
Nina Munteanu
Merridy Cox Bradley
Saima S. Hussain
ISBN: 978-1--2
Available through major book distribution channels
The Literary Connection Volume I
The twenty literary works provided within the covers of this Canadian anthology represent a vivid diversity of writing style, genre, experience, heritage and place. From allegory to anecdote, these tales span from comedic to tragic, as authors and poets of all ages examine themes that touch our hearts and give us pause.&
Themes of inspiration and triumph, of life&s ironies, both tragic and hilarious. Themes of love and loss and sharing. Themes of wonder for our natural environment.
This collection explores our Canadian sense of identity and place, from the eyes of an aging immigrant to the touch of a native youth. From wise to irreverent, authors share life-changes and milestones over their many years of living, loving and sharing. And in all cases, using the vernacular of unique Canadian expression and humour. &
This chaotic soup of expression embraces complexity, multiplicity and even paradox. What better way to begin a Canadian anthology series than by celebrating the multiverse of what Canada is: Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes (Walt Whitman).&
Enjoy these twenty very different stories and poems. They will make you dream, reflect, wonder and smile. They will certainly make you laugh. Now, isn&t that Canadian?
&The Editors
The joy of creating, the angst of writer&s block, the cathartic release in sharing one&s vision&these are the subliminal connections in creative expression. The Literary Connection presents emerging and established talent in a wide range of voice, style and theme.&
Volume I showcases the work of: (in alphabetical order)&
Lindsay W. Albert
John Ambury
Ben Antao &
Cheryl Antao-Xavier
Konrad Brinck
Merridy Cox &
Janine Georgiou-Zeck
Saima S. Hussain
Tasnim Jivaji &
P.I. Kapllani
Rashmee Karnad-Jani
Mary Ellen Koroscil
Fran Mcevoy Clare
Susan Munro
Nina Munteanu &
Sudha Naimpally
Peta-Gaye Nash
Nadia Tretikov &
Trevor Trower
Carmela Zita-Kapeleris
Zohra Zoberi
Photography:
Alvin Brown
Merridy Cox
Lisa Mininni
Ash Anthony Xavier
Janine Georgiou-Zeck
Pilar Rey De Castro
Carmela Zita-Kapeleris&
Design: Shirley Aguinaldo
Cover Design: Steve Czajka& &
Secrets of Driving and Automobile Care
by Michael Ghatine
Price:&US/CAN&$12.00
To order: Email:&<a href="/
var prefix = 'm&#97;&#105;lt&#111;:';
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var path = 'hr' + 'ef' + '=';
var addy22851 = 'm&#105;k&#101;g2010' + '&#64;';
addy22851 = addy22851 + 'h&#111;tm&#97;&#105;l' + '&#46;' + 'c&#111;m';
document.write( '
Secrets of Driving and Automobile Care
Excellent graduation/coming of age gift for young drivers. Helpful for G1, G2 and G drivers, and new Canadians. The book DOES NOT attempt to replace standard driver&s education, rather it offers supplemental information that Mike Ghatine as a longtime driver, driving instructor and mechanic is well-equipped to provide.&
Feel more confident behind the wheel and when dealing with auto insurers and mechanics, whether in an accident or dealing with the police.
Author bio: Mike Ghatine is a Mississauga-based professional driver, licensed driving instructor and qualified auto mechanic. This book is based on ten years of writing/research to collect crucial information on driving and auto care that often is not included in training&hence, he calls them the &secrets& of good driving.
Jottings&A Teacher&s Logbook
by Peter Jailall
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy19867 = 'www.p&#101;t&#101;r.j&#97;&#105;l&#97;ll' + '&#64;';
addy19867 = addy19867 + 'h&#111;tm&#97;&#105;l' + '&#46;' + 'c&#111;m';
document.write( '
Jottings: Excerpts and Reviews
EXCERPTS from&Jottings&A Teacher&s Logbook:&
I write daily in my journal keeping a record of my life. Through writing, I have conversations with myself about what I learn and what I need to know. I encourage students to keep their own journals and I continue to build collegiality with teachers as we continuously engage in conversations about education and classroom practices. This book is a collection of my thoughts and ideas about teaching and learning since I began my career in 1963. It gives me great pleasure to share &JOTTINGS.& I have been privileged and honoured to meet and teach with colleagues while volunteering with VSO/CUSO.&Jottings, page 8
We are witnessing a struggle for equal status among groups in society& women, blacks, seniors, the handicapped&and young people from one of those groups. The students& struggle to secure equal rights in decision-making is curbed and suppressed. We are afraid to give them more responsibility because we don&t trust them to use it wisely. No wonder so many of them drop out of school as soon as they are able. Research done in Toronto shows a greater than 30% dropout rate of students in secondary school. Poor self-esteem coupled with the &iron fist& mentality of their overseers are largely to blame. I&ve no time for the school of thought that says we have to &sit on them for their own good.& Too much valuable instructional time is spent on mindless discipline. Jottings, page 15
The essence of what it means to be a Canadian lies in our cultural diversity. Multicultural education means teaching children to understand and respect different cultures so that they can be prepared for living in our multicultural community. The preparation for life in Canadian society should be encouraged in schools by developing programs that emphasize equality of opportunity, a sense of belonging, a sense of being treated fairly, and a feeling of high self-esteem. A democratic society is judged by the way its minorities are treated.&Jottings, page 21.
ADVANCE REVIEWS for Jottings&A Teacher&s Logbook:
Jottings: a teacher&s logbook Peter&s &jottings& span a 30-year period from the mid-1980s to the present time and yet they speak directly to the fundamental questions that educators today, in Canada and internationally, ask themselves, implicitly or explicitly, every time they enter a classroom: What am I doing here&what is my identity as an educator? How can I best connect with [students&] experience so that they develop literacy and other academic skills and at the same time become confident people and responsible citizens? & Jim Cummins&
If there is one thing we have learned in the past 50 years of international development it is that a commitment to helping individuals and communities to fulfil their inherent potential and building a spirit of voluntarism are the hallmarks of a healthy society and the real foundation of prosperity. Peter Jailall, teacher, poet, and volunteer with CUSO International for many years, epitomizes these values in his person and his reflections capture this vision in the concrete terms of daily life. Peter inspires something else in anyone who meets him & in person or through his work: gratitude. & Derek Evans, Director, CUSO International&
The life-enhancing quality of Peter&s work has made an extraordinary impact in Canada where he has lived since 1970, but also in Guyana, beloved land of his birth&he is in great and continuous demand not only as a teacher of children but also as a teacher of teachers. His creative urge pours into others, inspiring them. & & Ian McDonald
Peter&s &Jottings& reveal an exemplary teacher (what some of us call &a teacher&s teacher&). Peter&s sobering accounts of his trips to Guyanese classrooms shows what happens when a country cheats its children&and its future&by underfunding public education. & Robert McCallum
Peter Jaillal&s stories are inspiring and motivating and highlight the importance of supporting education initiatives to ensure that youth prosper and that educators are valued and supported and have the resources to deliver high quality education. Peter Jaillal, as a member of our CUSO International team continues to inspire. & & Barb Hogan, Director, International Volunteering, CUSO International &
Life in Maple Woods&The Adventures of Kamal the Two-Humped Camel
by Cheryl Antao-Xavier
Price:&US/CAN&$12.00
Theme of acceptance of differences and integration
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy11549 = 'ch&#101;ryl.x&#97;v&#105;&#101;r' + '&#64;';
addy11549 = addy11549 + 'symp&#97;t&#105;c&#111;' + '&#46;' + 'c&#97;';
document.write( '
Life in Maple Woods: Excerpts and Reviews
ADVANCED REVIEWS:
Life in Maple Woods authored by
is geared toward 3 - 8 year olds. Makes a wonderful bedtime reading about &#39;The adventures of Kamal the Two- Humped Camel&#39;. Contains lots of large bright pictures that are loved by this age group. &Norma Nicholson, author of &Young Lives on the Line.&
The moose turned around and frowned at Kamal. &I said go away,& he grunted. &I don&t want to talk to you. I don&t like you.& Kamal was very surprised. &Why don&t you like me?& he asked. &You don&t even know me.& The moose said: &I don&t like camels. They are ugly and you have two humps.&
&I wonder why he dislikes me. I have never even met him before,& he said to himself. He tried to look back at his two humps. He wondered if he was really ugly. He did not know. He had never thought about his humps before. No one had ever told him he was ugly.&
Everyone at the park liked him and said nice things about him. His Mama always called him &Cutie Kamie.& His Papa said he was a handsome chip-off-the-old-block. Kamal did not know what that meant, but Papa had stuck his chest out and looked so proud, it must have meant something good.&
Just then Jack, the Ranger, was passing by and saw Kamal.&
&Good morning, Kamal,& said Jack. &How are you today?&&
&I am very puzzled,& said Kamal. &Tell me, Jack, am I ugly?&&
Jack smiled at him. &You have a kind heart and you are a good friend to everyone. That is what is most important.&&
&Thank you, Jack,& said Kamal. He was happy again.&
&Did someone call you ugly?& asked Jack.&
&The moose says he does not like me. I don&t know why, since I never met him before,& said Kamal.&
Jack shook his head. &Some folks take a long time to make friends. They are afraid of strangers, especially those who are different from what they are used to. So they say unkind things to them that are not true.&&
&That is sad,& said Kamal. &We could have been friends and he would know that camels are not all that different from anyone else, even though they look different.&
&Some people take a long time to understand that,& said Jack.&
&I hope I can be friends with the moose,& said Kamal.&
&Well, good luck, Kamal,& said Jack. &You are a good friend to everyone here. I hope the moose will realize that one day.& &
Mbret&resh& Teuta e Iliris&
Dram& nga P.I. Kapllani
Price:&US/CAN&$15.95
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy13253 = 'p.&#105;.k&#97;pll&#97;n&#105;' + '&#64;';
addy13253 = addy13253 + 'gm&#97;&#105;l' + '&#46;' + 'c&#111;m';
document.write( '
Mbret?resh? Teuta e Iliris?: Excerpt
&Teuta& n& gjuh&n shqipe Do t& kalonin m& shum& se 12 vjet q& nga debutimi i par& i k&saj drame n& konkursin mbar&komb&tar t& dram&s shqipe t& organizuar nga Ministria e Kultur&s s& Shqip&ris&. Nga 55 drama t& paraqitura, &Teuta& do t& kalonte tre kualifikime dhe do t& renditej n& 15 dramat e p&rzgjedhura p&r &mim, duke l&n& pas autor& t& tjer& t& njohur. N& vitin 2008, do t& botohej n& anglisht n& Kanada nga sht&pia botuese IOWI (In Our Words Inc.) dhe vet&m pas gjasht& vjet&sh do t& shihte drit&n e botimit n& gjuh&n shqipe, n& shtator t& k&tij viti, po nga IOWI, duke u b&r& i pari lib&r q& botohet n& gjuh&n shqipe nga nj& sht&pi botuese kanadeze. Botimi n& shqip i k&saj drame p&rb&n risi edhe p&r vet& IOWI-n dhe ndoshta mund t& sh&rbej& si nj& pik&nisje p&r botime t& tjera n& k&t& gjuh&. Varianti n& shqip pa frik& mund t& cil&sohet si nj& lib&r krejt i ri, jo vet&m nga m&nyra e konceptimit t& konfliktit, por edhe nga plotshm&ria e karaktereve. N&se n& variantin e paraqitur n& konkurs dhe n& versionin n& anglisht, Teuta helmon Agronin p&r t& marr& fronin (nj& shembull klasik shekspirian), n& versionin n& shqipe, Agroni helmohet nga Dhimit&r Fari, i cili fut tre zana p&r t&i sjell& nj& ver& t& rrall& q& mbreti ta provoj&. N& bashk&punim me Triteut&n, Dhimitri ka si q&llim t& marr& fronin, pas vdekjes s& Agronit, por pengohet nga mbret&resha Teuta, e cila hip&n n& fron dhe i b&n ball& hordhive romake. Dhimitri nuk ndalet. Ai ka n& krah Triteut&n, me t& cil&n Agroni ka patur nj& djal&, Pimin. Ai hidhet n& krahun e romak&ve dhe braktis ishullin e Farit, t& cilin ua jep pa luft& atyre. Ushtria romake marshon, duke rrafshuar 230 qytete e vendbanime ilire, p&r t&u ndalur n& portat e Lezh&s, ku edhe n&nshkruhet arm&pushimi. Teut&s i lihet vet&m nj& anije, nd&rsa n& fron hipin Dhimitri dhe Triteuta, aleat&t e romak&ve. Kjo dram& &sht& diskutuar edhe n& forumin amerikan Fanatik&t e Civilizimit, ku Anthoni Kiehl, autori i portretit t& Teut&s, ka nxitur nj& debat shum& interesant rreth k&saj figure madh&shtore t& ilir&ve. Tashm& drama nuk e ka m& at& ndikimin shekspirian, por &sht& nj& vep&r e mir&fillt& e P.I. Kapllanit, duke e kthyer karakterin e saj nga nj& vras&se n& nj& heroin& t& v&rtet&, q& i b&n ball& rrebeshit t& koh&s n& vitin 230 p.e.s. Kishte edhe nj& p&rpjekje nga autori p&r ta shkruar n& dialektin geg, por n& fund Kapllani vendosi ta rishkruaj& n& gjuh&n letrare. Sipas autorit, gjuha letrare e dram&s zgjeron audienc&n e shikuesve, q& edhe k&shtu si& jan&, p&rb&jn& nj& num&r relativisht t& vog&l p&r sken&n shqiptare. & &
Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume II
A project of Ink Movement
ISBN: 978-1--7
Price:&US/CAN&$15.00
Published by:&In Our Words Inc
To order: Email:&<a href="mailto:
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy24894 = '&#105;nk.m&#111;v&#101;m&#101;nt' + '&#64;';
addy24894 = addy24894 + 'gm&#97;&#105;l' + '&#46;' + 'c&#111;m';
document.write( '
Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume II - Excerpts
Ink Movement&s Mississauga youth anthology. Volume II / compiled& by Anna C edited by Tanisha Mehta, Serena Chao, Maxwell Tran,& Cynthia Feng, Inori Khan, Sadia Sheikh, Amy Kwong, Charmaine& Arellano-Chua, Jonathan Martins.
Excerpt from&Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume II
Dear Reader,
Make a cup of tea and get comfortable, because we are about to embark on a long journey through Mississauga&s youth arts scene. Over the past few months, Ink Movement has received almost 170 submissions from passionate, young writers, artists, and photographers in the Greater Toronto Area. This anthology showcases some of the finest works in youth arts and literature.&
The anthology&s theme, journeys, has been chosen as a homage to unexpected adventures that await each one of us. As you flip through the pages of the Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume II, we hope you immerse yourself in the wild ride that awaits&
On behalf of everyone at Ink Movement, we hope you enjoy reading the Mississauga Youth Anthology: Volume II as much as we have enjoyed publishing it.
Enjoy the journey. Bon voyage,
President, Ink Movement
Dear Reader,
& Ink Movement has embarked on an eventful journey, prompting the theme of this anthology. We hosted an experiential writing workshop series and organized Project Inkwell, a multi-disciplinary arts conference for youth. Along the way, we never lost sight of our mission. We strive to positively affect social change by empowering young artists to find their voice and recognizing talent that may otherwise go unnoticed.&
For those objectives, spearheading this book project is a special treat for the Ink Movement team. We were thrilled to receive almost 170 submissions this year from students across the Greater Toronto Area. The works featured on the following pages are a testament to the immense creative talent within the thriving arts and culture scene. The young writers and photographers used their skilled hands to transform a blank canvas into a painting.&
We sincerely hope that you enjoy the book. Best of luck on your reading journey!
Maxwell Tran
Founder and Executive Director, Ink Movement
A& Sacra Talk to the Spirit of the Human Being&
By Carlene McKenzie
ISBN:&978-1--1
Suggested retail price: US/CAN $10.00
Published by: In Our Words Inc.
To order:&Email:
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy45894 = 'c&#97;rl&#101;n&#101;mck&#101;nz&#105;&#101;51' + '&#64;';
addy45894 = addy45894 + 'gm&#97;&#105;l' + '&#46;' + 'c&#111;m';
document.write( '
Forbidden/Verboten: Excerpts and Reviews
EXCERPTS from Forbidden/Verboten by Vicki Bismilla
As a Canadian educator visiting South Africa, I spoke with students in Phoenix, a still predominantly non-white section of Durban. These children appeared to have little knowledge of the apartheid era and the significance of the hard won democracy they now enjoy. Perhaps this is a good thing because children should know no other form of government than democracy. However, children need to know their history and the human struggle that went into winning the freedom they now enjoy&They need to know too that the anti-apartheid struggle was also waged by ordinary young people, students like themselves. This story tells about students who fought apartheid and lived by their convictions about freedom. & Vicki Bismilla, Foreword, Forbidden/Verboten
Simmi ran the several yards through fine tall grass until she grasped for and found the barbed wire fence against the tall old trees. She pressed the middle wire down and crouching, slipped over it, grazing her neck against the top wire. She had shoes on, thanks to Liga&s foresight. She slipped behind the row of trees and lifting her feet high above the undergrowth, cautiously traversed through the woods in the direction of the roadblock. She was moving faster than the cars, which for the most part were at a standstill. She walked briskly, arms outstretched, breathlessly pushing down low branches for almost twenty minutes before she heard voices and made out flashing lights obviously from the police cars. She veered to her left further into the thicket, away from the road and plunged into complete darkness. She placed one hand protectively in front of her face, and with the other, felt for and continued pushing aside branches.&
&Vicki Bismilla, Forbidden/Verboten
So long had they been fed on curricula expounding the glory of the &better& culture, the &better& race, the &better& lifestyle&so long had the history books, written by the Afrikaner, extolled the virtues of the &supreme people,& that education meant for most Indians a denial of all that made them Indian&a profoundly educated person was one who had successfully eradicated his Indianness, had absorbed the teachings of the white man&s world, had aped his lifestyle, imitated his accent&--Forbidden/Verboten
Good Indian girls, especially good Hindu girls, were not to be so forward as to show an interest in boys! Prospective husbands were chosen for daughters of Hindu families by their parents.
&Ugh, prostitution, nothing but prostitution, to have to sleep with a man you hardly know because of his caste, or class or bank book,& Simmi muttered into her pillow, fists pounding at her sheets.&Forbidden/Verboten.
ADVANCE REVIEWS for Forbidden/Verboten:
In Forbidden/Verboten, South-African/Canadian author Vicki Bismilla has crafted a fine fictional story that parallels her own reality in many aspects. Simmi, the attractive and sensuous Hindu drama student at the &Indians Only& Island University, finds herself irresistibly attracted to Jeremy Petersen, a handsome, albeit na&ve, son of a white Canadian diplomat serving a term of duty in SA and studying at a &Whites Only& University. He too is smitten. In Toronto, nobody would blink at this turn of events. In the post-Verwoerd era of the late sixties, with the harsh, repressive segregation laws, and the prevailing &morality act& that forbids relationships across races, these lovebirds must find a way to continue their own real-life drama, accompanied by a colourful cast of family and friends.&Braz Menezes, Author Just Matata&Sin, Saints and Settlers (2011); More Matata&Love after the Mau Mau (2012).
As a Canadian of German origin, married to a South African of colour, I experienced many of the prejudices Vicki Bismilla writes about. It struck a nerve with me and brought back many memories of the inhumanity of apartheid. This is not only a well-told love story, but a reminder that racism can never be accepted by any society. After reading Forbidden/Verboten, the reader will&understand how&remarkable&South Africa&#39;s peaceful transformation to a democratic&multi-racial society&was without having had a civil war, bloodshed or&revenge killings. Excellent story, full of historical facts.&This book&evokes every human emotion from love to&hate, disgust to disbelief, compassion to resentment and despair to hope.&Konrad Brinck, author
Vicki Bismilla experienced apartheid first-hand. A non-White South African, she writes from her own reality in much of the storyline of Forbidden/Verboten. The reader is given an inside view of life on both sides of the colour bar, and witnesses the gross inhumanity of institutionalized racism through the eyes of its two young, idealistic protagonists, as they challenge seemingly insurmountable barriers of race, colour, class and creed to pursue their &forbidden& love. They knew the dangers and ingrained prejudices they were up against, but they persevered. As Bismilla says in the Foreword of the book, the lessons of history must never be forgotten by those who today enjoy freedom from apartheid and a &hard won democracy.&&Cheryl Antao-Xavier, author and publisher of In Our Words Inc.
AUTHOR BIO:&Vicki Bismilla was born and raised in apartheid South Africa. She and her husband arrived in Toronto as young university graduates in 1970. Vicki has been an educator in the Greater Toronto Area for over forty years serving as Teacher, Principal, Superintendent of Schools and Vice-President of a college. Her doctorate is in Education. She is now retired and working on several writing projects, both memoir and fiction, based on her native South Africa.&Forbidden/Verboten&is her first published novel. &
The Last Will
a novel by P.I. Kapllani
Special hardcover release on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the &Cam&ria genocide
ISBN:&978-1--4
Suggested retail price: US/CAN $25.00
Published by: In Our Words Inc.
To order:&Email:
var suffix = '';
var attribs = '';
var addy23851 = '&#105;n&#111;&#117;rw&#111;rds' + '&#64;';
addy23851 = addy23851 + 'b&#101;ll' + '&#46;' + 'n&#101;t';
document.write( '.
Storyteller: stories
Sherry Isaac&
ISBN: &978-1--3&
Genre: Short Stories
Retail Price: $19.95
To order, .
Bruised but Unbroken: poems
Cheryl Antao-Xavier
ISBN: 978-1--1
$17.95 (USA & Canada)
Bruised but Unbroken – Excerpts
Bruised but unbroken
The soil splits and sprouts emerge.
Parched land offers little hope
To tiny tentacles of life&
Thrusting towards the sky
To pull down clouds to empty tears
On to thirsting roots.
The spirit endures through tribulation
More resilient than would seem
Rekindling hope
In there lies survival
Life sprouts anew.
The hacking of axes
Sound a death knell for the fallen
Stumped prospect.
In the spring green shoots appear
Pushing past bruised bark
Broken branches
Life & hope & sprouts anew.
Nature struggles to survive
Instinctively&
As does the spirit &&
Bruised but unbroken.
That is not me
Clenched fists pound the air
The rage of the mob penetrates the TV screen
Spilling hatred, vitriol
Into our family room
Making us uneasy.
Bearded, turbaned men
Surge through the streets I once walked on.
Claiming to speak for a nation
I once belonged to.
I look at the madness in the eyes and think:
That is not me.
Rarely a woman in sight &&
The few shrouded in black burqas.
That too is not me.
Ingrate! You once thrived on this land
It was different then.&
Things have changed, I have changed.&
That is not who I am.
Look at the face of Canada? Is that you?
I see freedom. I see diversity.&
That is enough for me.
Yes! That is me!
I am home.&
World of waste
Islands of plastic refuse
Floating in the Pacific
Disturbing image that will not go away
Is it too late?
The grace of a lone canoe
As a scavenger looks for treasure&
In this sea of debris
Recycling overwhelmed.
Gentle mounds of green
Undulating as far as the eye can see
A park? A golf course? No.
Graves of trash, cemetery of human waste.
A halo of pollution crowns Mother Earth
Slow strangulation of all living things we know
Holes in the Ozone let in deadly UVAs
We learn new words to describe our new reality.
As we look out into the universe
Seeking new worlds to populate
What must the God of that universe
Think of our ambition?
Look with kind eyes
When I stand up for what I believe
rock the boat against the tide
will you applaud
even if you disagree
even if you fear that
I&m not quite mainstream?
Will you still look upon me with kind eyes?
When I pour my heart&
and soul into my creation
shade it with exotic colours
and hold it up with pride
and place it next to your creations
can you look at it with an open mind
and see the beauty in the difference?
Can you look upon it with kind eyes?
When I step out of the margins
and venture along the paths
that you walk so confidently
will you make way for me
or pretend you don&t see me
will you watch passively
while I&m denigrated to the sidelines?
Will you & can you & look at me with kind eyes?
she walks along the back roads of life
treading timidly&
giving way to all others
mistress of nothing
no claim to land or name
her identity drawn and overshadowed
by every male in her life
daughter of her father
wife of her husband
mother of her son
she walks along the back roads of life
her footsteps make no sound
on the concrete tracts of ideology
and leave no imprint
in the shifting sands of time.
Her greatest enemy
She looks into the mirror
And sees her greatest enemy
The haunted eyes of a victim
The resignation of the hopeless
Then she pulls up her veil
To cover all but those defeated eyes
And goes on as before
Walking in life&s shadows
In his shadow
Eyes to the ground lest her gaze
Be mistaken for brazen
Shrouding her femininity&
Lest it incite male passions
Living behind screens and walls
Of prisons she calls home.
Taking her prison with her
A sweltering portable hell&
Of burqas, hijabs, veils.
Liberation could come
If there is the will to fight for it.
Equality will come
If the inequality is acknowledged.
Justice would come
If the injustice is shunned.
She looks into the mirror
And sees her greatest enemy.
Price below includes S&H and taxes if applicable
Choose shipping destination
Canada $20.95 United States $22.55 All other destinations $26.15
Beyond the Edge: stories
Perparim Kapllani
ISBN:&978-1--9
$19.95 (USA & Canada)&
Beyond The Edge - Excerpts
In Our Words
Geraldina saw a human form outlined against the bright light as though someone was entering through a doorway. The figure came closer and a look of recognition came with a smile to Geraldina&s face.
&I knew you would come,& she said.&I knew you would not leave me.&
&excerpt from story &Beyond the Edge&
&That is why you went away, isn&t it,& he said gruffly. &You confounded fool. Tell me, Agron, King of Nincompoops, did you run away like a yellow-bellied missish girl because of this?&
With that he holds up his mangled left hand in my face. My eyes fixed on his hand and saw clearly what I had imagined so many times in my mind, the strong hand, with the two fingers, the ring finger and the middle finger missing, the flesh mottled and badly set over the gap. I cannot speak. I did not have to. He saw the pain, the torture, the living dread in my eyes that I did not bother to conceal.
&excerpt from story &The Gypsy King& &
Canada $25.95 Outside Canada $29.95
I too Hear the Drums: stories
Peta-Gaye Nash
ISBN: 978-0--5
Category:&short fiction
$19.95 (USA & Canada)&
I too Hear the drums: An excerpt
I head to the Caribbean Student Association where I am told that I cannot join. It&s a club for West Indians, I am told.
&I&m from Jamaica,& I insist.
&Prove it,& he says. &Can you hear the drums?&
I am taken aback. I feel slapped in the face.
&Were you born in Jamaica?& I ask.
&No, but I can hear the drums.&
&I can hear the drums,& I say, &but I don&t need to wear my culture on my t-shirt. It&s in my blood. Screw your association.&
When I walk away, I think, what f***ing drums? He wasn&t in Jamaica for the brain drain, the political riots, the empty supermarket shelves, the senseless murders where we all knew people who died. He was in rich North America learning how to be Jamaican second-hand.
&from &I too hear the drums& by Peta-Gaye Nash &
Canada $22.90 United States $23.90 All other destinations $26.35
Giving in to Gravity: Poems&
Elizabeth Barnes
ISBN: 978-1--8
$17.95 (USA & Canada)&
Giving in to Gravity: An excerpt
I finger pebbles worn by generations of water: rosy quartz, rounded granite perfect as tiny birds& eggs, dark green algaed pebbles, irregular white globs brushed with iron-oxide& Someday, someone may fetch me up with young fingers full of curiosity, turn me between finger and thumb and bring me back to life, or send me skipping over water&s skin to the rim of the world and beyond.
& Elizabeth Barnes (in poem &On the Edge&) &
Canada $18.90 United States $19.90 All other destinations $22.35
Inland Waterways -
Poems from a Peaceable Kingdom
Linda Cassidy
ISBN: 978-1--5
Price: &$17.95 (USA and Canada)
Inland Waterways: An excerpt
I found a peaceable kingdom
rooted in a reef of living coral
where the law of the jungle
was &Do no harm&
where mythical sea monsters
vanquished long ago to undersea caves
slept soundly, no danger to the public.
&&Linda Cassidy, &Not What I Expected& &
Sacrifice &
Poems on the Indian arrival in Guyana
Peter Jailall
ISBN 978-1--2&
Price: &$15.95 (USA and Canada)
Sacrifice: An excerpt
My Ancestors
They braved the rough seas
The dead thrown overboard
The living crossed the black water
Arrived weather beaten
In brown Demerara
Brought ashore by the cunning bacra
They came quietly
Full of hope and innocence
Without suitcase or passport
Just scanty possessions
Seeds stitched in their dutty duckree
Bigan and Poe Bhajee&
They came half naked
Bare feet, empty handed
Ready to tramp
In the swamp.
They came with ambition
Escaping poverty
Floods, droughts and trickery
Only to face the sting
Of massa&s whip.
And still taking licks
They continue to build. &
Moonlight Fairy Tales
Flavia Cosma
Art:&Ioan Balcosi
ISBN: 978-0--8
Category: CHILDREN&S BOOK
$19.95 (USA & Canada)&
Printed in Canada
Canada $23.95 United States $24.95 All other destinations $27.95
On The Wings of Dawn
Maria Pia Marchelletta
Art:&Mauro Cappa
ISBN: 978-0--1
Category: POETRY&
$15.95 (USA & Canada)&
Printed in Canada
Mother Earth: poems for her children
Peter Jailall
Art:&Brenley Crawford
ISBN: 978-0--4
Category: POETRY / CHILDREN&S BOOK
Printed in Canada
Canada $15.95 United States $16.95 All other destinations $17.95
Musings of an Earth Angel&
A Collection of Poems
Linda L. Dowd
ISBN 978-0--7
Printed in Canada
Canada $17.95 United States $18.95 All other destinations $19.95
Swimming to the Surface&
A Collection of Poems
Saskia Maddock&
ISBN:&978-0--0
Canada $21.95 United States $22.95 All other destinations $26.95
Dance of the Peacock
Cheryl Antao-Xavier
ISBN: 978-0--2
13.9 cm x 21.5 cm
Margaret in Search of Herself
and other plays
Janice Goveas
ISBN: 978-0--6
13.9 cm x 21.5 cm
Queen Teuta of Illyria
Perparim Kapllani
ISBN: 978-0--9
13.9 cm x 21.5 cm
Questionably Ever After +
Window Shopping for Lasting Love
Zohra Zoberi
ISBN: 978-0--3
13.9 cm x 21.5 cm
Coming in November 2015
ANTHOLOGY CALL NOW OPEN TILL JULY 31, 2015
The Literary
Connection
Poetry & prose & photography & art
Theme: My Canada
IOWI PUBLISHING SPECIAL
Basic package: $500/- + 13% HST
Premium book design (cover + insides)= pdfs
Professional minor proofreading (up to 100 pages)
Upload to Print-On-Demand database&
Cataloguing In Print (CIP) registration (this is only granted by Canada Archives to a minimum of 100 printed copies)
Print copies at POD charges incl S&H
International distribution
, outline and sample paragraphs for assessment.
Partner Sites
Site contents copyright In Our Words. No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission. Created by A Type of Magic Publishing & Design.

我要回帖

更多关于 an animal school教案 的文章

随机推荐