He is planning to tack hishis wife motherr to celebrate h

Black PhD student is beaten and cuffed when cops refuse to believe the car is his
| Daily Mail Online
'This is my vehicle, sir': Shocking moment black Northwestern University PhD student is beaten and cuffed when cops refuse to believe he owns the Chevy he's driving
Lawrence Crosby, then 25, was arrested in Evanston, Chicago in October 2015He is suing Evanston Police Department for excessive force over the ordealAuthorities released dashboard video this week of moment he was arrestedIt shows him being tackled to the ground after telling officers he owned the car By
04:07 GMT, 15 January 2017
10:49 GMT, 15 January 2017
This is the shocking moment a black Northwestern University PhD student was tackled to the ground when police thought he'd stolen the car he was driving. Lawrence Crosby is now suing the Evanston Police Department for excessive force and false arrest following his confrontation in Chicago in October 2015.Authorities released
dashboard video recordings on Wednesday of the moment Crosby, then 25, was pulled over for a traffic stop and subsequently beaten and cuffed.The video also included audio of the 911 call made by a woman who thought Crosby was trying to break into a vehicle, which sparked the series of events.Scroll down for video
Police released dashboard video recordings this week of the moment Lawrence Crosby, then 25, was tackled to the ground in Evanston, Chicago in 2015 after they refused to believe he owned the car he was driving
Footage shows police signalling for Crosby to stop in the 1500 block of Ridge Avenue in Evanston about 7pm on October 10, 2015.He can be seen getting out of his Chevrolet with his arms in the air before telling officers he owns the vehicle.A number of officers shouted at Crosby as they approached him with their guns drawn, before wrestling him to the ground. Crosby, who was studying for his doctoral degree in civil engineering, repeatedly told the officers he owned the car and had the documentation to prove it.He also tried to tell them he was fixing a piece of loose molding on the top of his car when the woman spotted him and mistakenly thought he was trying to steal it. When police eventually realized Crosby did own the car, the student was charged with disobeying officers. The charged were later dropped in March 2016.
A number of officers shouted at Crosby as they approached him with their guns drawn, before wrestling him to the ground after pulling him over in Evanston
The 25-year-old Northwestern University PhD student repeatedly told the officers he owned the car and had the documentation to prove it as they wrestled him to the ground
When police eventually realized Crosby did own the car, the student was charged with disobeying officers. The charged were later dropped in March 2016Crosby filed a civil lawsuit last year against the city and arresting officers. The footage was released after an alderman's request at an Evanston City Council meeting last week, the reports.Police justified the actions of the arresting officers saying they thought they were responding to an auto theft.Evanston Police spokesman Joseph Dugan said the officers delivered knee strikes and open-handed strikes like they had been trained. 'He was not injured, no bruises, his face was fine,' Dugan said. 'The use of force is justified,' he said. 'They had to make a decision with what they had at the time.'
Footage shows police following Crosby in Evanston in 2015 after a woman called 911 to report she saw a black man trying to break into a car
Share or comment on this article
MOST READ NEWS
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
More top stories
DON'T MISS
MORE DON'T MISS
EDITOR'S SIX OF THE BEST
SHARE PICTURE
Copy link to paste in your message根据句子意思,用括号中所给单词的适当形式填空。小题1:Tom is busy preparing for a party to celebrate his sister’s
(twelve) birthday.小题2:My cousin is made
(study) with his new friends in USA.小题3:—What’s your favorite fruit?—I like apples __________ (well).小题4:On
(child) Day, our classmates sent a lot of stationary to the school in the disaster area.小题5:So they ordered Armstrong to cut the __________ (fly) short and he successfully brought the spacecraft down into western Pacific Ocean.小题6:Mother is busy __________ (prepare) for the coming big dinner in the kitchen.小题7:—How was your day off yesterday?—Perfect! It was my grandma’s ________(eighty)birthday. We had a big cake.小题8:—Will you take part in the Chinese writing competition next week?—Sure. I consider it as a chance to prove________ (me).小题9:If you want to improve your English, you should practice________ (speak) it as much as possible in and out of class. 小题10:—You will be ________ (welcome) if you speak loudly in the place like this. — I’ve got it. Thank you. - 跟谁学
在线咨询下载客户端关注微信公众号
搜索你想学的科目、老师试试搜索吉安
在线咨询下载客户端关注微信公众号&&&分类:根据句子意思,用括号中所给单词的适当形式填空。小题1:Tom is busy preparing for a party to celebrate his sister’s
(study) with his new friends in USA.小题3:—What’s your favorite fruit?—I like apples __________ (well).小题4:On
(child) Day, our classmates sent a lot of stationary to the school in the disaster area.小题5:So they ordered Armstrong to cut the __________ (fly) short and he successfully brought the spacecraft down into western Pacific Ocean.小题6:Mother is busy __________ (prepare) for the coming big dinner in the kitchen.小题7:—How was your day off yesterday?—Perfect! It was my grandma’s ________(eighty)birthday. We had a big cake.小题8:—Will you take part in the Chinese writing competition next week?—Sure. I consider it as a chance to prove________ (me).小题9:If you want to improve your English, you should practice________ (speak) it as much as possible in and out of class. 小题10:—You will be ________ (welcome) if you speak loudly in the place like this. — I’ve got it. Thank you.根据句子意思,用括号中所给单词的适当形式填空。小题1:Tom is busy preparing for a party to celebrate his sister’s
(child) Day, our classmates sent a lot of stationary to the school in the disaster area.小题5:So they ordered Armstrong to cut the __________ (fly) short and he successfully brought the spacecraft down into western Pacific Ocean.小题6:Mother is busy __________ (prepare) for the coming big dinner in the kitchen.小题7:—How was your day off yesterday?—Perfect! It was my grandma’s ________(eighty)birthday. We had a big cake.小题8:—Will you take part in the Chinese writing competition next week?—Sure. I consider it as a chance to prove________ (me).小题9:If you want to improve your English, you should practice________ (speak) it as much as possible in and out of class. 小题10:—You will be ________ (welcome) if you speak loudly in the place like this. — I’ve got it. Thank you.科目:最佳答案小题1:twelfth小题2:to study小题3:best小题4:Children’s小题5:flight小题6:preparing小题7:eightieth/80th小题8:myself小题9:speaking小题10:unwelcome解析
知识点:&&基础试题拔高试题热门知识点最新试题
关注我们官方微信关于跟谁学服务支持帮助中心A little boy invited his mother to attend his school’s first teacher-parent meeting. To the little boy’s 36 , she said she would go. This would be the first time that his classmates and teacher 37 h 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
& 题目详情
A little boy invited his mother to attend his school’s first teacher-parent meeting. To the little boy’s &&36&, she said she would go. This would be the first time that his classmates and teacher &&37&&his mother and he felt &&38&&of her appearance. Although she was a beautiful woman, there was a severe scar that &&39&&nearly the entire right side of her face. The boy never wanted to &&40&&why or how she got the scar.At the meeting, the people were &&41&&by the kindness and natural beauty of his mother &&& 42&&the scar, but the little boy was still embarrassed and &&43&&himself from everyone. He did, however, get within hearing of a conversation between his mother and his teacher.The teacher asked &&44&&, “How did you get the scar on your face?”The mother replied, “ &&45&&my son was a baby, he was in a room that &&46&&fire. Everyone was &&47&&afraid to go in because the fire was &&48&, so I went in. As I was running toward his bed, I saw a long piece of wood coming down and I placed myself &&49&&him trying to protect him. I was knocked &&50&&but fortunately, a fireman came in and saved both of us. ” She &&51&&the burned side of her face. “This scar will be &&52&, but to this day, I have never &&53&&what I did.”At this point, the little boy came out running toward his mother with tears in his eyes. He &&54&&her in his arms and felt a great sense of the sacrifice that his mother had made for him. He held her hand &&55&&for the rest of the day.小题1:A.enjoyment B.disappointmentC.sorrowD.joy小题2:A.noticed B.greetedC.accepted D.met小题3:A.sickB.ashamed C.afraid D.tired小题4:A.included B.passedC.coveredD.shaded小题5:A.talk aboutB.think aboutC.care for D.hear about小题6:A.impressed B.surprisedC.excited D.comforted小题7:A.in sight ofB.by means of C.by way of D.in spite of小题8:A.hid B.protected C.separated D.escaped小题9:A.carefully B.seriouslyC.nervously D.anxiously小题10:A.AsB.When C.SinceD.While小题11:A.caught B.set C.litD.made小题12:A.soB.much C.quite D.too小题13:A.out of controlB.under controlC.in controlD.over control小题14:A.underB.atC.toD.over小题15:A.helplessB.hopeless C.senselessD.useless小题16:A.pointed B.showedC.wiped D.touched小题17:A.uglyB.lasting C.serious D.frightening小题18:A.forgotB.recognized C.consideredD.regretted小题19:A.graspedB.heldC.put D.caught小题20:A.quietly B.slightlyC.tightly D.suddenly
小题1:B小题2:D小题3:B小题4:C小题5:A小题6:A小题7:D小题8:A小题9:A小题10:B小题11:A小题12:D小题13:A小题14:D小题15:C小题16:D小题17:B小题18:D小题19:B小题20:C什么是母爱?文章讲述的故事告诉我们母爱如大海。小题1:名词辨析。A享受;B失望;C难受;D快乐;根据下文可知他很失望,因为不愿意妈妈去参加会议。小题2:动词辨析。根据句意可知妈妈会与老师相见。小题3:形容词辨析。根据文章他妈妈脸上有疤痕,他根据妈妈丢了他的面子,所以感觉很羞愧。小题4:动词辨析。A包括;B通过;C覆盖;根据句意可知那一块疤痕覆盖了妈妈的右脸。小题5:短语辨析。A谈论;B考虑;C关心;D听说;这里是指男孩不想谈论妈妈的伤疤是如何形成的。小题6:动词辨析。A留下印象;B使…惊讶;C使…兴奋;D使…舒服;根据句意:尽管妈妈脸上有伤疤,但是妈妈还是给老师留下了深刻的印象。小题7:介词辨析。A看见;B用…方法;C取道;D尽管;解析同上,根据意思可知D正确。小题8:上下文串联。上文说小男孩很尴尬,那么应该是躲着不想见别人。小题9:副词辨析。根据上文可知妈妈脸上有疤痕,老师在问的时候肯定会很当心,防止伤害到她。小题10:连词辨析。根据上下文可知:当儿子小的时候,他在一个着火的房子里。小题11:固定词组。Catch fire着火。小题12:固定句型。Too…to…太…而不能;结合句意可知:很多人太害怕了不敢去救男孩。小题13:词组辨析。A失去控制;B在…控制中;根据上下文可知火势很大,失去了控制。小题14:介词辨析。根据上下文可知妈妈是扑到了孩子的身上。Over在…上。小题15:上下文串联。根据上文可知我被一块木头击中,因而失去了知觉。小题16:动词辨析。A指;B显示;C擦去;D触摸;根据句意是指妈妈摸脸上的伤疤。小题17:形容词辨析。A丑陋的;B持久的;C严重的;D让人害怕的;根据句意可知妈妈说虽然这里伤疤一直留到现在,但是她一点也不后悔。小题18:动词辨析。解析同上。小题19:动词辨析。A抓住;B拥抱;C放;D抓住;根据句意可知是指男孩紧紧地抱住了妈妈。Hold sb in one’s arms.抱住某人。小题20:副词辨析。解析同上。
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:高中英语
来源:不详
题型:完形填空
A teacher let her class play a game. The teacher &&&36&&&each child to bring a bag &&37&&&a few potatoes. Each potato will be &&&&38&&&a name of the person that the child &&&39&&&&, so the number of potatoes that a child will put into his/her bag will &&&&40&the number of people the child hates.Some child some had three and others had up to &&&41&&potatoes. The teacher then told the children to &&&42&&the bag wherever they go for a &&&&&43&&.&& 44&&the days went by, the children started to &&&45&&&&because of the unpleasant smell coming from the rotten(腐烂) potatoes. And the students with five potatoes also had to carry& 46&bags.After a week, the teacher asked, “How did you feel?”the children started complaining(抱怨)about the &&47 they had to &48&&. When they had to carry the heavy and &49&potatoes everywhere they went.Then the teacher said, “This is the &&50&where you carry your hate for somebody &&&51&&your heart. The smell of hate will &&52&&your heart and you will carry it with you wherever you go. If you cannot &&53&&the smell of rotten potatoes for just one week, can you imagine&& 54&it is like to have the smell of hate in your heart for your&&& 55&&.小题1:A.warnedB.likedC.toldD.preferred小题2:A.containingB.puttingC.coveringD.included小题3:A.calledB.givenC.usedD.offered小题4:A.missedB.hatesC.likesD.appreciated小题5:A.depend onB.decide onC.set downD.write down小题6:A.sixB.twoC.tenD.five小题7:A.bringB.washC.carryD.take小题8:A.weekB.dayC.monthD.holiday小题9:A.AfterB.UntilC.BeforeD.As小题10:A.cryB.complainC.laughD.disagree小题11:A.heavierB.lighterC.biggerD.older小题12:A.happinessB.joyC.troubleD.sadness小题13:A.get alongB.go overC.be settledD.go through小题14:A.funnyB.smellyC.tastyD.dusty小题15:A.situationB.viewC.expressionD.sign小题16:A.withoutB.outsideC.withD.inside小题17:A.injureB.keepC.polluteD.protect小题18:A.likeB.bearC.escapeD.throw小题19:A.whomB.howC.whichD.what小题20:A.youthB.school lifeC.lifetimeD.childhood
题型:阅读理解
I fell in love with music from a young age and often sat down making a few songs of my own.What would life be like, I wondered, without a beautiful song? In 1992, I made two love songs to my darling wife and watched tears run down her face as I sang."Sam," she said earnestly, "Your songs should be heard by more people."She got my ballads and started bothering various media people about me, her singing barber husband.Two radio stations took an interest and played the songs.After the programme was aired, I became known in our community as the Singing Barber.The biggest surprise, however, was still to come.I received a call from a music promoter who offered me a long-term recording contract.He explained that he would be investing a lot of money to market my songs.I needed to be wholly focused on selling my records all over Australia. But I hesitated. My friends all told me to go for it.And Mary also thought I should do."Go, Sam.I'll manage with the family...it'll be OK."I watched my daughter and son playing in the backyard.Soon they would both be in high school...and where would I be? I was so used to my family turning to me for love and support.If I were to start a singing career, I would not only miss them terribly, I'd also certainly miss out on watching them grow up.Signing this contract would put a huge gap between my family and me...and I couldn't bear it.My family was my life.So I refused the music promoter's offer.I'm still making music, I'm rich in love and I have no regrets.小题1:When the author was offered the contract, most of his friends _____.A.envied himB.laughed at himC.encouraged himD.didn't believe him小题2:Why did the author give up the contract?A.Because his wife was strongly against it.B.Because the pay was not attractive enough.C.Because he wanted to care about his two kids.D.Because he didn't want his family life damaged.小题3:According to the passage, we can infer the author _____.A.used to be a country singerB.preferred his present lifeC.went on the road to fameD.regretted giving up his contract小题4:What does the author mainly intend to tell us?A.One should know himself.B.Interest is the best teacher.C.Family should come first.D.Every dog has its day.
Einstein was the greatest scientist of his age. But he was almost as strange as his Theory of Relativity. Once, while riding a street car in Berlin, he told the conductor that he had been given too much change. The conductor counted the change again and found it to be correct, so he handed it back to Einstein, saying “The trouble with you is you don’t know your figures.” He had nothing and thought little of the things most people set their hearts on— fame and money. He didn’t want money or praise. He made his own happiness out of such simple things as his work and playing the violin and sailing his boat. Einstein’s violin brought him more joy than anything else in life. He led a very simple sort of life, went around in old clothes that needed pressing, seldom wore a hat, He shaved (刮胡子)with the same soap that he used for his bath. The man who was trying to solve the most difficult problems of the universe said that using two kinds of soap made his life completely too complicated(复杂的). 小题1:From the second paragraph we know Einstein _____.A.wasn’t good at mathsB.enjoyed playing jokesC.had some trouble with figuresD.didn’t care about money at all小题2:Einstein was most interested in ______ in life.A.sailing his boatB.fame and moneyC.playing the violinD.work小题3:“…using two kinds of soap made his life completely too complicated” in the last paragraph suggests that Einstein ______.A.preferred to live a simple lifeB.was a man of humorC.was too poor to buy more soapsD.liked to do something different
For several years, Americans have enjoyed teleshopping watching TV and buying things by phone. &(66) &In a number of Europe countries, people can turn on their TVs and shop for clothes, jewelry, food, toys, and many other things.&(67) &&For example, the biggest Swedish company sells different kinds of things on TV in 15 Europe countries, and in one year it made $100 million. In France there are two teleshopping channels, and the French spend about $20 million a year to buy things through those channels. In Germany, until last year teleshopping was only possible on one channel for 1 hour every day. Then the government allowed more teleshopping. Other channels can open for telebusiness, including the largest American teleshopping company and a 24-hour teleshopping company. &(68) Some people like teleshopping because it allows them to do their shopping without leaving their homes. With all the problems of traffic in the cities, this is an important reason, but at the same time, other Europeans do not like this new way of shopping. (69) Many Europeans usually worry about the quality of the things for sale on TV. Good quality is important to them, and they believe they cannot be sure about the quality of the things on TV.&(70) They will have to be more careful about the quality of the things they sell. They will also have to work harder to sell things that the buyers cannot touch or see in person.A.Now teleshopping is starting in EuropeanB.They call teleshopping “ Junk on the air”C.Teleshopping is becoming popular in SwedenD.German businesses are hoping this new teleshopping will help them sell more things E. The need for high quality means that European teleshopping companies will have to be different from the American companies. F. Teleshopping is popular among people.66._______&&& 67._________& 68._________& 69.___________& 70.___________
In 1826, a Frenchman named Niepce needed pictures for his business, but he was not a good artist. So he invented a very simple camera. He put it in a window of his house and took a picture of his yard. That was the first photograph.The next important date in the history of photography was 1837. That year, Daguerre, another Frenchman, took a picture of his studio. He used a new kind of camera and a different process. This kind of photograph was called a daguerreotype. Soon, other people began to use Daguerre’s process. In about 1840, the process was improved. Then photographers could take pictures of people and moving things.Matthew Brady was one well-known American photographer. He took many portraits of famous people. The portraits were unusual because they were very life-like and full of personality.In the 1880s, new inventions began to change photography. Photographers could buy film ready-made in rolls. And finally, the invention of the small handheld camera made photography less expensive. With the small camera, anyone could be a photographer. People began to use cameras just for fun. They took pictures of their families, friends and favorite places. They called these pictures “snapshots”.Photography also turned into a form of art by the end the 19th century, some photographs were not just copies of the real world. They showed ideas and feelings, like other art forms.小题1:Matthew Brady was well-known for _______.A.inventing daguerreotypeB.taking pictures of French citiesC.taking portraits of famous peopleD.inventing the first camera小题2:The new inventions in photography made it possible for ________.A.Brady to take pictures of famous peopleB.anyone to be a photographerC.only rich people to take picturesD.people to use daguerreotype小题3:Photography can also be an art form because artists can _________.A.take pictures to show the real worldB.make documentariesC.show ideas and feelings in picturesD.copy old pictures
One of my most unforgettable experiences is the day I finished my tough rowing and keep myself free of loneliness. As the youngest female ever to row alone across the Atlantic Ocean, I was often asked the same question: How did you, a only 20-year old youngster row a 18-foot boat for 70 days through those strong winds and violent waves and survive?Frankly speaking, for me, the physical challenge was not the greatest one. Before I made my mind to row across the Atlantic, I had already cycled 3,300 miles, run all by myself across the Mojave Desert, and swum the 325-mile length of the Allegheny River. No, the hardest part would be mental: How would I cope with the terrible loneliness and the boredom on the vast sea for such a long time? I set out on January 1 and my first object was to swim past the quarter-way mark, which would take about 20 days. I made it on January 20, a gray and cloudy day. I had thought to do something to celebrate my first goal such as treating myself to a chocolate bar or something else. But I didn’t. I was suffering from unbearable boredom and loneliness of the long sea journey. I hadn’t seen any landing at least more than two weeks. It seemed to feel the same every day. Eating, rowing, sleeping, staring at the sky, watching the ocean.Then that day came! It was around dusk, I noticed something move on the horizon. Yes, some dolphins! They approached me and circled my boat. Suddenly I felt so blessed. They had arrived to accompany me and helped to celebrate, just when I needed them so badly! For the next 15 minutes, I did row at full speed with all my strength with those lovely dolphins around. By the time they were to leave me and we went our separate ways, I was no longer lonely. After 70 days and five hours at sea, I finally reached my final destination. I was proud that I made it, all 2,817 miles, which helped to raise $70,000 for the Blue Planet Run Foundation, an organization for funding drinking water. I’ve been told some athletes struggled to get through just by imagining the end during the whole process. But for me, what makes miracle is to focus your mind on the moment, where you experience the personal growth—those moments of awareness of being connected to the sun, the weather, and the waves. And, on the best day of my life, I had to admit those dolphins really freed myself from terrible loneliness.小题1:Which of the following belongs to part of preparation for the row?A.Answering the same question raised by peopleB.Swimming the 325-mile length of the riverC.Running 3,300 miles cross-countryD.Biking across the Mojave Desert小题2:The underlined part means ___________. A.I wasn’t in the mood to celebrate my first goalB.I didn’t have any chocolate bar for energy C.It’s a pity not to celebrate my passing the quarterD.It’s a pity not to treat myself to a chocolate bar小题3:What can be implied from the last two paragraphs?A.The Blue Planet Run Foundation helped me a lot.B.The dolphins accompanied me to reach my destinationC.The unexpected dolphins swept away my lonelinessD.Imagination was a useful way to help me get through小题4:Which can be the best title of the passage?A.The only challenge for a 20-year oldB.Tips on handling loneliness at sea.C.How to row alone across the Atlantic D.The day I stopped being lonely
Grandfather was an elder Cherokee Native American who had a wrinkled, nut brown face and kind dark eyes.His grandson often came in the evening to sit on his knee and asked the many questions that children asked.One day the grandson came to his grandfather with a look of anger on his face and the following story."Father and I went to the store today and because I helped him, he bought me a present, a jack-knife.I went outside to wait for father and to admire my new knife in the sunlight.Some town boys came by and saw me.They surrounded me and started saying bad things.They called me dirty and stupid and said that I should not have such a fine knife.The largest of these boys pushed me back and I fell over one of the other boys.I dropped my knife and one of them picked it up and they all ran away laughing.I hate them.I hate them all.”The elder Cherokee, with eyes that had seen too much, lifted his grandson's face so his eyes looked into the boy's face.Grandfather said, " Let me tell you a story.I, too, at times, have felt a great hate for those who have taken so much with no sorrow for what they do.But hate wears you down and does not hurt your enemy.It is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die.I have struggled with these feelings many times.It is as if two wolves are inside me...It is a terrible fight.One wolf is good and does no harm.He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense (冒犯) when no offense is intended.It will only fight when it is right to do so and in the right way.This wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, modesty, kindness, friendship, sympathy, generosity, truth and faith.The other wolf is full of anger.The smallest thing will set off his fiercest temper.He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason.He cannot think because his anger and hate are so much.It is helpless anger, for his anger will change nothing.This wolf represents fear, envy, greed, self-pity, guilt, lies, false pride and superiority.Sometimes, it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me for both of them try to control my mind.This same fight is going on inside you and inside every other person too."The boy looked into his grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied ... "The one you feed."小题1:The boy was angry because ______.A.he was not satisfied with his presentB.his back was badly injured in a fightC.he had waited for his father for too longD.his jack-knife had been taken away by some boys小题2:The angry wolf would probably be described as ______.A.aggressive(好斗)B.sympatheticC.modestD.unsuccessful小题3:We can learn from the third paragraph that ______.A."hate" is healthyB."hate" hurts oneselfC."hate" is complicatedD."hate" harms one's enemies小题4:What did Grandfather mean by saying "The one you feed" in the last paragraph?A.We should feed the two wolves equally.B.Living in harmony with others is important.C.Our feelings should be expressed at the right time.D.The choices we make determine who we will become.
When I was eight, I saw a movie about an island that had an erupting volcano and jungles filled with wild animals. The island was ruled by a beautiful woman called Tondalaya, the Fire Goddess of the Volcano. It was a low budget movie, but to me, it represented the perfect life. But through the years, Tondalaya was forgotten.
The week I turned 50, my marriage came to a sudden end. My house, furniture and everything I’d owned was sold to pay debts that I didn’t even know existed. In a week I had lost my husband, my home and my parents who had refused to accept a divorce in the family. I’d lost everything except my four teenage children. I used every penny I had to buy five plane tickets from Missouri to Hawaii. Everyone said I was crazy to think I could just run off to an island and survive. I was afraid they were right.
I worked 18 hours a day and lost 30 pounds because I lived on one meal a day. One night as I walked alone on the beach, I saw the red orange lava(火山岩)pouring out of Kilauea Volcano in the distance. It was time to live my imagination! The next day, I quit my job, bought some art supplies and began doing what I loved. I hadn't painted a picture in 15 years. I wondered if I could still paint. My hands trembled the first time I picked up a brush. But before an hour had passed, I was lost in the colors spreading across the canvas(画布)in front of me. And as soon as I started believing in myself, other people started believing in me, too. The first painting sold for $ 1500.
The past six years have been filled with adventures. My children and I have gone swimming with dolphins, watched whales and hiked around the crater rim(火山口边缘)of the volcano. We wake up every morning with the ocean in front of us and the volcano behind us. The dream I had more than 40 years ago is now reality. I’m living freely and happily ever after. 小题1:Why did the writer go to Hawaii?A.To free herself from trouble.B.To make a living. C.To spend her holiday.D.To realize her childhood dream.小题2:Which of the following is the writer’s dream?&&&A.Become a successful painter.B.Live in nature with animals. C.Get close to wildlife. D.Live a free and happy life.小题3:We can infer from the passage that __________. A.the writer wasn’t sure whether she could survive in Hawaii at firstB.the writer’s parents encouraged her to divorceC.the writer’s husband took away most of her moneyD.the writer had never done painting before
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号

我要回帖

更多关于 17tack 的文章

随机推荐