)[used in the middle of a reduplicatedfinite verbb mean

Grammar Index
Stative verbs&[]
A stative verb expresses quality or conditions, so in Chinese one simply uses one ‘verb’, this stative verb, where in English one would use the verb to be with an adjective. For instance, in 他很忙 [he is very busy] 忙 is a stative verb and means to be busy.
好 [to be good] or [to be well] is here used as a stative verb, as in: 你 的 车 好 吗 [is your bike / car good?] 是 [to be] is not needed here. The statement 他 很 好 can mean either [his health is very good] or [he is very good]. The true meaning of this sentence depends on the context. In colloquial Chinese the affirmative form of 忙 is often preceded by 很. 我 今 天 很 忙 [I am [very] busy today].
我 今 天 忙 sounds incomplete, or like the answer to a question.If 我 忙 is followed by another phrase, 很 can be omitted. 我 今 天 忙 明 天 不 忙 [I am busy today, but not tomorrow]. When a monosyllabic stative verb such as 忙 is used in a question: 你 忙 吗? [are you busy?] 很 can be omitted. The answer to this question is 我 忙 [I am busy].
Possessive 的 &[]
This construction indicates that the noun after 的 belongs to the noun that comes before 的, as in小 王 的 邮 票 [Xiao Wang’s stamp].
的 can be omitted when 你, 我 and 他 refer to family relations such as 爸 爸, 妈 妈, 哥 哥, 姐 姐, 弟 弟 and 妹 妹 ...; to people with whom one is in regular contact such as
朋 友 and 老 师... 我 弟 弟 [my younger brother] 她 朋 友 [her friend]and to places with which one is closely related such as 家 and 学 校... 你 家 [your home].
V一 下 &[]
When一 下is preceded by a verb, it has two functions. 1. It is used as a time measure to imply that the action lasts for a little while. 2. It is used to soften the tone of voice.
看 一 下 [to have a look]. 一 下 is used to soften the preceding verb. This is often done when a verb has to be placed at the end of a sentence. Without the pattern V一 下 , it would sound very demanding or bossy. The reduplicated verb phrases or V一 V phrases are used in a similar way. 一 下 can also be used as a time measure which means [for a little while].
The verb 在&[]
When 在 is used as the main verb in a sentence, it means [to be located..]; [to be in, on], or [at a place], as in 在 这 儿 [to be here], 他 在 这 儿 [he is here].
在 is used as a verb [to be at, in, on]…. 他 在 邮 局 [he is in the post office] 她 在 中 国 [she is in China].
The linking verb是&[]
The linking verb 是 is used to link nouns or pronouns, as in 他 是 老 师
[he is a teacher] and 我 是 学 生 [I am a student].
是 to be is followed by a noun or a noun phrase, as in 小 王 是 汉 语 老 师 [Xiao Wang is a Chinese language teacher].
Co-verbs&[]
This term refers to a verb when its function, used together with its own object, is to modify the main verb of a sentence. An example is 在, which can be used as a co-verb meaning [to be located in, on] or [at] [a place]. Please note in this context that sequence and background are important in Chinese when it comes to describing actions. The first action in a sequence should come first in an utterance. In 小 丁 在 家看 书 [Xiao Ding is reading a book at home] the first action in the sequence could be described as the background to the main action, but it still has to come first, with the co-verb 在 followed by the noun 家 forming a co-verb clause. In the example given here Xiao Li would have to have been at home before he started reading the book.
从 [start from] is a co-verb in Chinese. The co-verb clause 从 图 书 馆 should be placed before the main verb clause 去 剧 场. A sequence of actions is usually displayed in chronological order in Chinese sentences. The action that occurs first should appear first. For example, 走 路 去 咖 啡 馆, the co-verb clause 走路 [walking] is placed before the predicate 去 咖 啡 馆 [to go to the café].
The particle 吧
The particle 吧 is placed at end of a sentence to indicate suggestion.
吧 is used for making suggestions. It is placed at the end of a statement, as in 我 们 去 喝 酒 吧 [should we go and have something to drink?] 好 吗 is similar to 吧, but 吧 is more assertive and definite than 好 吗.
Modal verbs&[,]
Modal verbs are like auxiliary verbs and are placed before main verbs. Examples are: 应该 and 得 [to have to…], [to be obliged]; 可以 [to be permitted]; 能 [to be able]; 想 [to want], [to intend]; and 爱 [to like], [to be fond of].
A modal verb such as 想 or 要 is placed before a main verb, as in 小 王 要 去 中 国 [Xiao Wang wants to go to China] or
[Xiao Wang is going to China].我 想 去 喝 酒 [I would like to go out and have a drink].A modal verb clause should be placed before a main verb. If a sentence contains a modal verb, the aspect marker 了 is not used, as in 昨 天 他 想 去 看 他 女 朋 友 [he was going to see his girlfriend yesterday].
Both 能 and 可 以 can be used for asking permission, as in 我 能 在 这 儿 吸 烟 吗 or 我 可 以 在 这 儿 吸 烟 吗 [may I smoke here]?The aspectual marker 了 is not used when a sentence has a modal verb, such as 想, 喜 欢 or 要.
For instance, 去 年 我 想 去 日 本 玩 [I wanted to go to Japan on holiday last year].
Choice type questions&[]
One type of choice type questions is formed by following an affirmative verb with a negative verb as in: V不V or V没V. The following patterns are those most commonly used.Subject verb不verb object你
学生?[Are you a student or not?]Subject verb object 不verb 你
作 ? [Are you going to do the exercises (or not)?]Subject verb没verb object你
练习?[Did you do the exercises or not?]Subject verb了object 没verb 你
没 作?[Did you do the exercises (or not)?]If a verb has a double syllable it can be used in the following ways:AB
不AB喜欢不喜欢A 不AB喜不喜欢AB
没AB学习没学习A没AB学没学习
Choice-type questions are formed in the following two ways:1. V不V as in 你 作 不 作 练 习 [do you do exercises or not?] Or V 没V for actions that have taken place as in 你 作 没 作 练 习 [did you do your exercises or not?]2. V-O不 V or V-O没 V for actions which have taken place as in 你 作 练 习 不 作 [do you do exercises or not?] Or V了 O 没有 for actions which have taken place as in 你 作 了 练 习 没 有 [did you do your exercises or not?]A double-syllable verb in a choice-type question such as 欢 迎 takes the following two forms:1. AB不 AB: 欢 迎 不 欢 迎2. A 不 AB: 欢 不 欢 迎
Measure words&[]
The word ‘cup’ in a cup of tea and the word ‘bottle’ in a bottle of beer are ‘measure words’. In Chinese a measure word is used when quantifying or specifying a noun. A measure word is preceded by one of the following: a specifier such as 这 [this] , 那[that] , or 每[every] ; or a question word such as 哪[which?] or 几[how many?].
The measure word 个 [unit of] is used for many objects, such as 人 [people], 系 [departments], 图 书 馆 [libraries], 阅 览 室 [reading rooms] and in fact most of the nouns which appear in the text here. A measure word is placed after 每 [every], 这 [this], 那 [that] or the question words 几 [how many]or 哪 [which] and is followed by a noun.
太expresses excessiveness.&[]
The affirmative form of the 太 construction is 太 {stative verb}了, which means extremely {stative verb} as in 太 好 了 [extremely good]. The negative form is 不 太 {stative verb} without了, which means that something is not very {stative verb}, as in 不 太 好 [not very good].
The affirmative form of the 太 pattern is 太 {stative verb}了, which means extremely {stative verb} as in 太 好 了 extremely good. The negative form of this pattern is
不 太 {stative verb} without 了, which means that something is not very
{stative verb}, as in
不 太 好 [not very good], 我 不 太 忙 [I am not very busy].
The question particle呢&[]
呢 is placed at the end of a sentence. It can be used in the following situations:1. To bounce a question or statement back to the person you are having a conversation with, as in: A: 你 好 吗? [how are you?] B: 我 很 好. 你 呢 ? [I am very well, and you?]2. To ask the question where? as in 我 的 书 呢 [where is my book]?3. To reinforce questions formed with a question-word [who? what? which? when? why? where?] and to show that a speaker really wants to know the answer, as in: 他 是 哪 国 人 呢 [what nationality IS he]? 你 看 的 是 什 么 书 呢[what book ARE you reading]? 你 去 哪 儿 呢 [where ARE you going]?
呢 is placed at the end of a sentence. It can be used in the following situations:1. To ask the same question of the person you are having the conversation with, as in: A: 你 好 吗? how are you? B: 我 很 好. 你 呢 ? [I am very well, and you?]2. As the question word: where? 我 的 书 呢? [where is my book?]3. To reinforce questions formed with a question-word [who? what? which? when? why? where?] and to show that a speaker really wants to know the answer, as in: 他 是 哪 国 人 呢? [what nationality IS he?] 你 看 的 是 什 么 书 呢? [what book ARE you reading?] 你 去 哪 儿 呢 ? [where ARE you going?]
不 是 … 是… sentence construction&[]
不 是 … 是… sentence construction is used to deny one statement and confirm another, as in 不 是 我 的 语 法 不 好, 是 语 法 太 难 了 [it is not that my grammar is weak, it is that the grammar is too difficult].
不 是 … 是… sentence construction is used to deny one statement and confirm another. Both 不 是 and 是 clauses are followed by nouns or phrases, as in 不 是 我 的 语 法 不 好, 是 语 法 太 难 了 [it is not that my grammar is weak, it is that the grammar is too difficult].
Use of 以 后&[]
以后is used to form time clauses. So, if 以 后 is placed after a noun or phrase to form a time clause, it defines a time after the action indicated by the noun or predicate, as in: 午 饭 以 后 [after having lunch]. However, if 以 后 is placed at the beginning of a phrase and used as a time word, it means later, in the future, as in 以 后 我 想 去 中 国 [later/one day I would like to go to China].
If 以 后 is placed after a noun or phrase to form a time clause, it defines a time after the action indicated by the noun or phrase, as in: 午 饭 以 后 [after having lunch]. However, if 以 后 is placed at the beginning of a phrase and used as a time word, it means [later], [in the future] as in 以 后 我 想 去 中 国 [later I would like to go to China].
Telling the time&[]
The linking verb 是 to be is not needed when giving the time or the date: 今 天 星 期 天 [today is Sunday]; 现 在 两 点 零 五 分 [it is five past two].
The adverb 那(么)&[]
那is short for那么. If 那(么) is placed at beginning of a sentence it implies [if this is the case…].
If 那 is placed at beginning of a sentence it implies [if this is the case]. For example, 他 不 在 这 儿, 那 么 我 们 都 回 家 吧?
[He is not here,so [[in this case]] let's go home].
Giving the day, month and/or year.&[]
When you ask for the time or the date, 是 is omitted, as in: 今 天 几 号 [what date is it today]? 今 天 十 五 号 [today is the 15th].
The 是 in 还 是 choice-type questions cannot be omitted.
When you ask for the time or the date, 是 is omitted, as in: 今 天 几 号 [what date is it today?] 今 天 十 五 号 [today is the15th]. However, 是 in 还 是choice-type questions cannot be omitted.今 天 三 月 二 十 七 号 还 是 三 月 二 十 八 号? [Is today 27 or 28 March?]
The object of a sentence is called a topic if it is placed before the verb. It can be a noun, or a noun-functioned phrase in list form. The subject of a sentence in this pattern can be placed either before the topic or before the verb.
中 国 菜 、 英 国 菜 我 都 喜 欢, or 我 喜 欢 英 国 菜 也 喜 欢 中 国 菜. The objects in this sentence pattern are nouns, or noun-functioned phrases in a list form. These are placed before the adverb 都. The subject of the sentence can either be placed before the list or before 都: 英 文 、 中 文 他 都 会 说 [he speaks both English and Chinese].
Pronoun or name + 这 儿 or 那 儿&[]
When 这 儿 and 那 儿 are placed after a pronoun or name, they identify a place associated with that person. 这 儿 implies that the speaker is actually in the place to which he refers, while 那 儿 implies that the speaker is not in the place to which he refers: 我 那 儿 [my place] [though I am not in my place as I speak]. 我 这 儿 [my place] [I am in my place as I speak].
When 这 儿 and 那 儿 are placed after a name or pronoun, they identify a place associated with that person. 这 儿 implies that the speaker is actually in the plac 那 儿 implies that the speaker is not in the place to which he refers: 我 那 儿 [my place] [though I am not in my place as I speak]. 我 这 儿 [my place] [I am in my place as I speak].
Duplicate verbs&[]
A verb is duplicated to soften the tone of voice, especially when used at the end of a sentence, as in 请 你 给 他 介 绍 介 绍 [please tell him about it].
You can duplicate a main verb such as 看 to soften your tone of voice, as in 我 给 你 看看 我 昨 天 借 的 书 [I would like to show you the book that I borrowed yesterday].
Resultative verb phrases&[,,]
A resultative verb phrase is used to describe the result of an action. It is formed by an action verb and its result, as in 我 吃 完 了[I finished eating]. The verb is [to eat], the result of the eating is [finished], so the resultative verb phrase is [eating to a finish].
送 给 uses a resultative verb phrase. The main verb is 送, which means [to give something as a present]. 给 implies [to give the present to somebody]. For example, in 我 送 给 你 一 张 照 片 [I’ll give you a photo as a present] the main action is to give something away as a present, but the person to whom the present is given is 你 [you]. Therefore the 给 that is placed after 送 refers to the object 你 [you].我 修 好 (完) 了 车 再 打 电 话 告 诉 你 [when I have finished mending your bike I will let you know by phone]. The resultative words 完 [completion] and 好 [satisfaction] don’t have the function o therefore the aspect marker 了 is used to indicate the completion of the action.作 好 饭 了 [...finished cooking]. The resultative word 好 implies completion of the action 作 [to cook]. However, it can also imply perfection of an action. For instance, the resultative word 好, as in 您收好啊, implies that you should 收 [put something away] 好 [properly] and [safely]. 错 can be placed after a verb to indicate the outcome of the action. For instance 听错 [to mishear something] 看错 [to misread something]. However, 错 cannot be used in a V 得 construction. For instance one cannot say: 你写得很错; instead, one should say: 你写得不对 [you have written incorrectly].
Attributive clause with 的 &[]
An attributive clause is used to modify a noun preceded by 的. The clause can be formed from a word or a phrase, as in 一 个 很 好 的 朋 友 [a very good friend] and 我 从 小 王 那 儿 借 来 的 书 [the book which I borrowed from Xiao Wang].
真, which is usually placed before stative verbs, is not used in an attributive clause with 的. However 很 and 非 常 can be used in an attributive clause with 的.
For instance: 这 是 一 本 非 常 有 意 思 的 书 [this is a really interesting book].
Combined directional verb phrase&[]
A combined directional verb phrase is formed from a verb of action with a directional word such as 进[in],出[out],上[up] or下[down] and is followed by 来 or 去 (indicating the position of the speaker). 来 indicates that the action is moving towards the speaker, and 去 indicates that the action is moving away from the speaker. For instance,走 进 来[to walk in] (the speaker is inside). A simple object is placed between 进 and 来, as in 走 进 图 书 馆 来 [to walk into the library]. The object 图 书 馆 [library]is placed between the directional word and 来 or 去.
一 个 人 从 花 园 走 进 我 卧 室 来 了 [a person is walking into my bedroom from the garden]. The object of the sentence 我 卧 室 is placed within the combined directional phrase 进 来, as in 走 进 卧 室 来. The last word 来 in the combined directional phrase indicates that the action approaches the speaker, in other words, the speaker is in the bedroom. 去 can be used in a combined directional phrase to imply that an action moves away from the speaker, as in 走 进 卧 室 去, where the speaker is outside the bedroom.
是 … 的 construction&[]
The 是 … 的 construction is used to emphasise the state or situation of the noun. The emphasised statement is placed between 是 and 的, as in 我 的 书 是 新 的 [my book is the new one].
The 是 … 的 construction is use to emphasise the state of the object. The emphasised stative verb or description is placed between 是 and 的 as in 那 本 书 是 小 王 给 我 的 [it was Xiao Wang who gave me that book].
Position words&[]
Position words are 前[front],后[back],旁[beside],右[to the right],左[to the left],上[above],下 [beneath] and 中 [middle/inside]. These position words can be all followed by 边 [side]. The exception is 中 [middle/inside], which cannot be used with 边, but instead is used with 间. When position words are used to describe nouns they are placed after the noun, as in 房 间 里 边 [inside the room].
A position word is placed after a noun or pronoun, as in 他 的 女 朋 友 在 你 旁 边
[his girlfriend is (located) next to you]. 我 的 花 园 在 我 房 子 后 边 [my garden is behind my house].
Complement of degree construction&[]
A complement of degree construction is used to describe how an action is habitually carried out, as in 他 吃 得 很 快 [he eats very fast]. The verb is placed before 得, while the elements which follow 得 are usually adverbs describing the outcome of the action. This construction can also be used to describe a particular action. For example, in 昨 天 晚 上 我 作 饭 作 得 很 好 [last night I cooked the meal very well], 很 好 describes the outcome of the cooking.
The 得 complement of degree construction is used for describing habitual actions, but it can also be used to describe the outcome of particular actions, as in 我 女 朋 友 昨 天 晚 上 作 饭 作 得 很 好 吃 [my girlfriend cooked the meal very well last night].很 好 吃 in the above sentence refers to the outcome (food).
Potential verb phrases&[,]
A potential verb phrase is used to indicate that an action can or cannot be achieved. It is formed from a verb of action with 得 {for affirmative} or不 {for negative}and is followed by a resultative or directional word, as in 吃 得 完 [to be able to finish eating] 走 不 进 去 [to be unable to walk in].Most resultative or directional verb phrases can be turned into potential verb phrases by inserting 得 or 不 between the verb and its resultative or directional word. But some potential verb phrases such as 对不起 are only used as idiomatic expressions.
作 得 好[to be able to finish doing...], 作 不 好 [to be unable to finish doing...]
potential verb phrases. Phrases such as 听得清 and
听不清are called potential verb phrases.
These are used to express the ability to achieve an action. Most resultative (apart from 错) and directional verb phrases can be turned into potential verb phrases by placing 得 {affirmative}or 不 {negative}between the verb and its resultative or
directional word.
For instance, 说得清(楚)
[able to speak clearly]; 说不清(楚) [unable to say it clearly] 看得清(楚)
[able to see clearly] 看不清(楚) [unable to see clearly].Potential verb phrases can also be used to express ability in moving an action in a certain direction. Most directional verb phrases can be turned into potential verb phrases by placing 得 {affirmative}or 不 {negative} between the verb and its directional word. For instance, 拿得上去 [able to take something up] 拿不上去 [unable to take something up] 走得进来 [able to walk in] 走不进来 [unable to walk in].Some potential verb phrases do not keep their literal meanings and are used as idiomatical expressions. V得下 means [to have room for]; 对不起 means [excuse me] or [sorry].
See 这辆车坐得下五个人 [this car can take five people].The modal verb 能 can be used as an alternative. The resultative verb 看懂 [understand by reading] can take the potential verb complement form of看得懂 [able to understand by reading].
If 能 is used this becomes 能看懂 [can understand by reading]. However, some idiomatic potential verb complements, such as 对不起 [sorry/ excuse me] cannot be replaced by using this modal verb能.
可 can be used as an adverb to reinforce a statement or to emphasise desires and feelings. 可can precede the linking verb 是 as in小王可是一个大忙人[Xiao Wang is a really busy person].
A stative verb such as 好 [good] or 忙 [busy], or a modal verb such as 想 [intend to] … or 喜欢 [like to..] can be placed between 可…了to form an affirmative construction. The negative form is 可不… but 了 is not used. For instance, 今天可冷了[today is really cold] 我可想去中国了[I really want to go to China] 我可不喜欢吃英国菜 [I really don’t like eating English food].
可 is placed before the linking verb 是 in the above sentence to reinforce a statement. For instance, 这 可 是 一 辆 好 车 啊 [this is actually a very good bike]or 老 王 可 不 是 一 个 好 人 [Mr. Wang is actually a not very good person].
可 can also be placed before modal verbs such as 想 and 喜欢 to emphasise desires and feelings. For instance, 他 可 想 吃 中 国 菜 了 [he really would like to eat some Chinese food]. 可 is placed before stative verbs to reinforce them, as in 我 可 忙了 [I am really busy].
In this usage了 is often placed at the end of affirmative sentences.
The conditional construction with 要 是… 就...&[]
The 要 是… 就... construction is used to form a conditional sentence. The condition is placed after the 要 是 clause, and the consequence is placed after 就.
要是你不作完练习,就不能吃饭 [if you don't finish doing your exercises you won't be allowed to eat]. The clause that begins with 要是 is the condition, and the 就 clause is the consequence of the condition. In colloquial Chinese 要是 is often omitted, as in 怎 么 作 都 行, 只 要 煎 熟 了 就 可 以 [I don't mind as long as it is cooked]. The expression 就 行 … [then it will be OK] is placed in the second half of a conditional sentence to indicate that if the condition that is expressed in the first half of the sentence is fulfilled then the speaker will be satisfied with the outcome. For instance, 我 不 管 作 得 对 不 对. 作 完 了 就 行 [I don’t care whether I get everything right. Just to finish it would be fine by me].
Use of the 正 在 V着 O呢 sentence pattern&[]
This sentence pattern indicates that an action is under way. Note that some of the elements of this pattern can be omitted: all the following sentences mean he is watching TV.1. 他正在看着电视呢
full version2. 他正看着电视呢 without 在3. 他在看着电视呢 without 正4. 他正在看电视呢 without着5. 他正在看着电视 without呢6. 他在看电视呢 without正and 着7. 他看电视呢 without 正, 在and 着
The progressive aspect sentence pattern S.正在V着.O.呢 is used to indicate that an action is under way, as in 他 正 在 喝 着 酒 呢 [he is having a drink]. Some of the elements in this sentence pattern can be omitted without changing the meaning of the sentence in colloquial usage: 他在 喝 着 酒 呢; 他 喝 着 酒 呢; 他 正 在 喝 酒 呢; 他 在 喝 酒 呢; 他 正喝 着 酒 呢; 他 喝 酒 呢; 他 正 在 喝 着 酒; 他 正 在 喝 酒; and 他 在 喝 酒.
Aspectual marker 了 with verbs&[,,]
When placed after the main verb of a sentence the aspectual marker了is used to indicate that an action has been completed, as in 我买了一辆自行车 [I bought a bike].The aspectual marker了is not used in the following situations:1. The aspectual marker了 is not used in the negative form, but instead 没 (有) is placed before the main verb. For instance, the aspectual marker了 is used in the affirmative but not the negative part of the sentence 我没买新车, 可是我买了一辆旧车 [I didn’t buy a new bike, but I bought an old one]. 2. When 是to be, 在 to be in or 有to have are used as main verbs of a sentence the aspectual marker了is not used with them. For instance, 去年我有一辆很好的车[last year I had a very good bike].3. If a sentence contains a modal verb, the aspectual marker 了 is not used, as in 去年我想买一辆车 [last year I wanted to buy a bike].4. The aspectual marker了is not used in the ‘complement of degree’ construction. For instance, 昨晚他饭作得很好 [last night he cooked very well].5. The aspectual marker了is not used for those verbs which indicate direct and indirect speech. For instance, 他上个月说要来看我 [he said last month that he would visit me].6. The aspectual marker了is not used in attributive clauses, as for example in 我昨天买的车 [the bike which I bought yesterday].
我 作 了 一 顿 中 国 饭 [I cooked a Chinese meal]. The aspect marker了 is placed after the main verb 作, before 一 顿中 国 饭. This sentence pattern is commonly used for describing completed actions, as in
买 了 三 本 书 [bought 3 books] and 吃 了 两 顿 饭 [ate two meals].If the object of a sentence is a simple one, and does not have any other attached elements, (such as number words, measure words and descriptive clauses), the aspectual particle 了 can be placed at the end. However, the 了 at the end of the sentence has two implications: completion of the action, and change of situation. Therefore the meaning of the sentence can be ambiguous if it stands on its own, out of context. This usage of 了 is often seen in conversation: 他 去 哪 儿 了 [where did he go?].
The answer will be in the same pattern as that of the question: 他 去 商 店 了 [he went to the shop]. The above alternative answer sounds incomplete. A listener might expect you to say more, as in the following sentence: 他 去了商 店 就去 吃 饭 [after going to the shop he will have his meal].The aspectual marker 了 should be placed after the verb when the object of a sentence is preceded by other elements such as: numbers + and descriptive clauses + 的.
For instance, 今 天 上 午 小 王 买 到 了 你 要 的 那 本 书 [this morning Xiao Wang bought the book which you wanted].The sentence pattern V了 O, 就 V O了 implies that as soon as the first action in the first clause is finished the second action in the second clause will follow. 了 in the first clause indicates the completion of the action in the conditional clause. 了 in the second clause indicates that both the actions have taken place. Without the 了 in the second clause, the sentence implies that both actions have not yet taken place: 我 上 完 了 上 午 课 就 跟 一 个 中 国 朋 友 去 酒 吧 吃 饭 [as soon as I have finished morning classes I will go to the pub and have meal with a Chinese friend].
The modal particle了implying change of situation&[]
了 can be placed at the end of a sentence to imply a change of situation or to imply that something is no longer in the same state as it was. For instance, 我不是老师了[I am no longer a teacher]; 夏天了[it’s summer now]; 他好多了[he is much better now].
快 去 餐 厅 吧, 要 是 晚 了, 就 吃 不 到 饭 了[quickly go to the canteen otherwise you will not get any food]. 要 不 means otherwise. The 了which is placed after 晚 is used for the ‘excessiveness’ pattern, as in 太 晚 了 [too late]. The 了 at the end of the sentence implies a change of situation.
Imminent actions &[]
The following sentence patterns are used to indicate that an action is about to take place or that a particular time is approaching. 1. 要 … 了2. 快 要 … 了3. 就 要 … 了 Elements which can be placed between 要 and 了 are: V-O and time words such as 三月[March], 春天[Spring], 中午[noon] and 两点 [2 o’clock].
The sentence patterns for imminent actions are as follows 1. 要 … 了;
2. 快 要 … 了; 3. 就 要 … 了. The elements which can be placed between 要 and 了 are V-O patterns, such as: 要 上 课了 [it's about time to start the lesson]; 要 吃 饭了[it’s about time to eat the meal]; and 快 要下 班了[it’s about time to finish the shift].The elements which can be placed between 1 快 … 了; 2 快 要 …了; and 3 就 要 …了 are time words, as in: 快十 点了 [it’s about 10 o’clock]; 快 三 月了[it’s nearly March]; and 快 春 天 了 [it’s nearly Spring].
The adverbial marker 地&[]
The adverbs or phrases which are placed before 地 describe the intention, manner or method with, in or by which an action is carried out. For instance, 她高兴地唱了一个歌 [she happily sang a song]; 学生们都一个一个地回家了[the students went home one by one].
请 你 好 好 儿 地 写 字 [please write Chinese character properly]. Monosyllabic adverbs such as 好, 快 and 慢 are duplicated when placed before a verb. These duplicated adverbs are pronounced in the first tone. When a monosyllabic adverb is duplicated, the adverbial marker 地 is often omitted in colloquial Chinese. For instance, when you see your friends off you often say 慢 慢 儿 走 [walk slowly]. You often hear a mother say to her child at meal times: 好 好 儿 吃 [eat properly].
The V着O pattern can be used in the following two situations:1. It is used to describe how something has been left, as in 桌上放着一本书[there is a book left on the table]; 墙上写着三个字 [there are three characters written on the wall]; 门开着 [the door has been left open].2. It can also be used to make this action simultaneous with the main verb in the sentence, as in 她唱着歌回家 [she went home singing].
你 别 吸 着 烟 吃 饭 [don't smoke while you are eating]. The sentence pattern V着 O + V-O is used to describe how somebody is managing to do two things at the same time. However, one of the actions is the main action, and this is placed in the second half of the sentence, as in 他 打 着 电 话 开 车 [while he is driving he is making a phone call].
Time measures&[]
A time measure quantifies duration or length of time. A time measure is placed after the verb in an affirmative sentence, as in 我学汉语学了两个月了 [I have been learning Chinese for two months]. 了at the end of the sentence marks a stage in a progressing action. When describing a future action the time measure is placed after the verb, as in 明年我要在北京学习三个月汉语 [I will study three weeks of Chinese in Beijing next spring].The following three sentence patterns for [I learnt Chinese for three years] are all acceptable.1. s v o v(了) tm
我 学 汉语 学了三年2. s o v(了) tm
我 汉语 学了 三年3. s v(了) tm 的 o
我 学了 三年 的 汉语A time measure is placed near the beginning of a negative sentence. For instance, 我三年没看见她了[I haven’t seen her for three years] . The 了at the end of the sentence marks a stage in a continuing situation.
Adverbs of time are normally placed before verbs. However, a time measure should be placed after a verb in an affirmative sentence. The aspectual particle 了should be placed after a verb. The 了 at the end of the above sentence brings the action up to the present. It implies that the speaker is still waiting. Without the 了 at the end of the sentence, the meaning is that the action took place in the past. For instance, 我 学 了 一 年 中 文 了 [I have been learning Chinese for a year] implies that the speaker is still learning Chinese. Without the 了 at the end of the sentence the meaning changes: 我 学 了 一 年 中 文 [I learnt Chinese for a year]. This implies that the speaker is not learning Chinese at present.我 五 年 没 出 国 了, 今 年 夏 天 我 可 想 去 日 本 了 [I haven't been abroad for 5 years, and I would really like to go to Japan this summer]. The time measure is placed before the negation. The modal particle 了 at the end of the sentence indicates that until today the speaker has not been abroad for five years. Without the modal particle 了 at the end of the sentence, it would mean that the speaker did not go abroad for five years in the past.
The particle 过 &[]
The particle 过is placed after a verb and is used in the following two situations. 1. It is used to indicate that a particular action has been experienced, as in 我吃过英国菜 [I have eaten English food].2. It can also to be used to indicate that a regular action such as the daily eating of a meal has been completed, as in 你吃过饭吗 [have you eaten]?
The marker 过 is used for placing experiences in the past. It comes after the main verb of a sentence. Unlike the aspectual marker 了, 过 is used in negative sentences as well as affirmative ones. 了 can be used in a 过 sentence for emphasis, as in 你 看 过 中 国 电 影 了 吗
[have you ever seen a Chinese film]?过 can also be used for describing actions which one does regularly, or actions which one is expected to do, as in 你 吃 过 饭 了 吗 [have you eaten?] and 你 去 看 过 他 吗 [have you visited him]?
The action measure&[]
次 is used as an action measure in sentences. Like time measures, an action measure is placed after the verb in an affirmative sentence and before the verb in a negative sentence, as in 我 去 过 一 次 中 国 [I have been to China once].
The action measure 次 or 遍 is like a time measure and should be placed after the verb in an affirmative sentence and before the verb in a negative sentence, as in 他 两 次 没 来 上课了 [he has twice failed to come to the class].
在 used in a resultative verb phrase&[]
在 can be used as a verb or co-verb. It can also be placed after a verb of action to form a resultative verb phrase, with the result that the action has a direct effect on the object. For instance, in 放在桌上 [to put (it) on the table], the item is on the table as a result of the action to put. However, in 在中国学习 [to study in China] the action [to study] does not have a direct effect on China, meaning that 在中国 [to be in China] is a co-verb clause which gives the background to an action/indicates the sequence of action.
在 can be placed after a verb when the action has a direct effect on the object, as in 写 在 纸 上 [to write on the paper]; 坐 在 地 上 [to sit on the ground]and 睡 在 旁 边 [to sleep beside someone]. However, 在 is used as a co-verb when actions have no direct effects on the object of 在.
For instance, 在 中国 学 习 [to study in China] 在 饭 店 吃 饭 [to eat in a restaurant] 在 英 国长大 [to grow up in Britain]. However, in the above answer 生 在 and长在 are used as idiomatic expressions. It would also be correct to use 在 as a co-verb in the above answer, and say 我 在 中国生 and 在 英 国长.
Use of the 正 在 V着 O呢 sentence pattern&[,]
This sentence pattern indicates that an action is under way. Note that some of the elements of this pattern can be omitted: all the following sentences mean he is watching TV.1. 他正在看着电视呢
full version2. 他正看着电视呢 without 在3. 他在看着电视呢 without 正4. 他正在看电视呢 without着5. 他正在看着电视 without呢6. 他在看电视呢 without正and 着7. 他看电视呢 without 正, 在and 着
The sentence pattern S正 在 V着 O呢 implies that the action is still under way. In this case the actions of standing there and waiting are still going on. For instance, 我 正 在 给 您 作 饭 呢 [I am cooking ].饭 正 在 作 呢, 一 会 儿 就 作 好 [the meal is cooking and will be ready in a minute]. The topic ‘meal’ is placed before the verb clause 正 在 作 呢. Since a meal cannot cook itself, the above sentence implies that the meal is in the process of being cooked. No additional passive elements are needed in this case. For instance, 衣 服 洗 完 了 [the clothes have been washed] or 衣 服 正 在 洗 呢 [the clothes are in the process of being washed].
The V着O pattern can be used in the following two situations:1. It is used to describe how something has been left, as in 桌上放着一本书[there is a book left on the table]; 墙上写着三个字 [there are three characters written on the wall]; 门开着 [the door has been left open].2. It can also be used to make this action simultaneous with the main verb in the sentence, as in 她唱着歌回家 [she went home singing].
The sentence pattern V着 O + V-O is used to describe how somebody is managing to do two things at the same time. However, one of the actions is the main action, and this is placed in the second half of the sentence, as in 他 打 着 电 话 开 车 [while he is driving he is making a phone call].The verbs in V+着 construction describe how objects are situated in certain states or positions. For instance, 门 开 着 [the door is open]. In the above alternative sentence the 在 …上 clause indicates the place or position. This is placed before V+着, which is followed by the description of what is written on the plate. 在 can sometimes be omitted. For instance, 桌 上 放 着 一 本 书 [a book has been left on the table].
Comparatives&[]
The following constructions are used to compare one item or action with another.1. The 比construction is used to indicate whether A is better or worse than B. A
(不) 比 B stative verb+
[quantity ]他
[两岁][He is (two years) older than me]. A
(不) 比 B complement of degree +
[多了]他 比 我 吃得多
[多了][He eats (much) more than I do].2. The …跟…一样 construction indicates that A is in the same state as B.A(不) 跟B(不) 一样 stative verb他 跟我
一样大[He and I are the same age].A(不) 跟B complement of degree (不) 一样 他 跟我 吃得
一样多[He and I eat the same amount].3. The 有construction implies that A is as [stative verb] as B.A
stative verb他
大吗?[Is he as old as me?]A
complement of degree他
吃得多吗?[Does he eat as much as I do?]
A和 B一 样 or A 跟 B一 样. The negation 不 can be placed either before 跟 or before 一 样. For instance, 中 国 人 跟 英 国 人 不 一 样 or 中 国 人不 跟 英 国 人一 样 [Chinese people and British people are not the same].The construction A 比 B SV
is used to compare two objects. The ‘superior’ noun should be placed before 比, and a stative verb should be placed at the end of the sentence, as in 他 比 我 高 [he is taller than me].很, 真, 太 and 非常 are not used in 比 sentences. Instead
得多 or 多了 can be placed after a stative verb in a 比 sentence to indicate [very much more or less....]. If you want to specify the amount in the comparison, (for instance, if you want to say how much more A is than B), then the number word and the measure word should be placed after the stative verb, as in 他 比 我 大 三 岁 [he is three years older than me]....not as sv. as.... For instance, 你的书 没有我(的)多 you don't have as many books as I do.
The affirmative form of this construction, 有, is generally used in questions to compare one object with another.
For instance, 你 的 书 有 我 的 多 吗 [do you have as many books as I have]?
是 … 的 construction &[,]
1. The 是 … 的 construction can be used to classify what an item is used for. 2.The 是 … 的 construction is used to emphasise the state or situation of the noun. The emphasised statement is placed between 是 and 的, as in 我得书是新的 [my book is the new one].(See lesson 7)
For instance, 笔 是 写 字 用 的 {a pen is used for writing]. 这辆车是买东西用的,那辆车是接朋友用的 [this car is used for shopping and that one is used for taking and fetching friends].
Word order in Chinese corresponds to the sequence of action.&[]
1. Sentence with a co-verb clause坐车去学校 [I go to school by car]. The action of sitting in a car happens before going to school, so 坐车 is placed before 去学校.2. Sentence with a complement of degree construction房间打扫得干干净净 [the room (has been cleaned so that it) is spotless]. The outcome of the cleaning is that the room is spotless, so 干干净净is placed after 打扫得.3. Sentence with an adverbial marker 地他一句一句地说 [he said it sentence by sentence]. [Sentence by sentence] is the manner in which he delivered the speech, meaning that 一句一句地 is placed before 说.4. Sentence with a resultative verb phrase我看懂了[I have understood it [by reading]]. I understood it because I read it first, so 看should be placed before 懂.
我没看清楚你写的字.请你写得清楚一点儿[I couldn't read the words which you wrote: please write them again clearly]. 清楚 [clear] is the result of看[reading] and写 [writing], therefore清楚is placed after the verbs 看and写. 一点儿in the V得 construction implies [more]. The speaker would like to see the character written more clearly. The V得 ADV一点儿construction is used when the speaker has already anticipated or experienced the outcome, but would like to experience it “more” or “less” than anticipated or experienced. For instance, 请你说得慢一点儿 [could you please speak more slowly]. In colloquial Chinese得 and 一 can sometimes be omitted: 请你说慢点儿; 请你写清楚点儿.The difference between请你说得大声点儿 and 请你大声说 is that the emphasis is on the outcome in the first sentence, but on the manner in the second sentence.
Complement of degree construction&[,]
A complement of degree construction is used to describe how an action is habitually carried out, as in 他 吃 得 很 快 [he eats very fast]. The verb is placed before 得, while the elements which follow 得 are usually adverbs describing the outcome of the action. This construction can also be used to describe a particular action. For example, in 昨 天 晚 上 我 作 饭 作 得 很 好 [last night I cooked the meal very well], 很 好 describes the outcome of the cooking.
快点儿去吧, 跟你女朋友见面,可不能去晚了 [Go quickly, you shouldn't to be late when you meet your girlfriend]. 快点儿 is used to urge people to hurry up. 晚 [to
be late] is the outcome of the action去[to go]. The modal particle 了in去晚了is from the expression 去得太晚了, although 得and 太are omitted in the above sentence. For instance, 酒不能喝多了or
酒不能喝得太多了[one shouldn’t drink too much].
The 把 construction&[]
The 把 construction is used to indicate what one does to a particular object or how one does it. Verbs used in the 把 construction take complex forms, and are verbs of action attached to resultative words, directional words or other elements. The attached elements refer to the direct object of the sentence. For instance, in 我 把 酒 喝 完了[I finished the wine] the resultative word finish refers to the wine, but not to the action of drinking. [I finished drinking] would be expressed by the simple utterance 我 喝 完 酒 了.
把 is a co-verb, which is used to express how you deal with or dispose of a particular object. Verbs in 把 constructions are in complex forms. They are usually verbs of method of action plus other elements which can be 1. Resultative verb phrases (apart from 见)2. Directional verb phrases1. 得 (complement of degree) constructions 2. 一下 (or
一 verb) 3. Time/action measures 4. The particle着When a sentence has only one object you can avoid the 把 construction by placing the topic in front of the subject, as demonstrated in the alternative sentence.The 给which is placed before the main verb 挡上as in你把黑板上写着的字给挡上了indicates that the action of blocking the words on the board is an undesirable one. In the video clips Xiao Wang says我把我的电话卡给弄丢了. Xiao Wang thinks that losing a phone card is an undesirable thing, therefore 给 is placed before the main verb 弄丢. For instance, 他把我的车给偷走了[he has stolen my bike], 他爸爸把他给打了一顿 [his father has beaten him up. Potential verb phrases are not used, instead, the modal verb 能 is placed before the co-verb 把.
Passive construction with 被&[]
The passive construction with 被 indicates how a particular object (abstract or physical) is dealt with or disposed of by somebody or something. The verbs in these constructions take complicated forms. They are verbs of method of action, plus other elements. Most of the elements that are attached to the main verbs in 被 sentences are similar to those used in the 把 construction.
The passive construction with 被 describes how a particular object (abstract or physical) is dealt with or disposed of by somebody or something. The verbs in these constructions take complicated forms. They are verbs of method of action, plus other elements. Most of the elements attached to the main verbs in 被 sentences are similar to those used in the 把 construction.1. Resultative verb phrases 电 视 机 被 小 王 修 好 了
。The TV has been mended by Xiao Wang.2. Directional verb phrases 足 球 被 他 踢 进 河 里 去 了 。[The football has been kicked into the river by him.]3. Complements of degree, the 得 construction 房 间 被 她 打 扫 得 干 干 净 净 。[The room has been swept very clean by her.]1. Time/action measure他 被 她 妈 妈 骂 了 一 顿 。[He was given a telling off by her mother.]All modal verbs, such as 想, 要, 能, 可以 and 应该; adverbs such as 常, 都, 就, 还, 已经 and 曾经; and negation such as 不 and 没 should be placed before 被, 让, 叫 and 给. For instance, 房 间 已 经 被 他 打 扫 得 干 干 净 净 [the room has been swept very clean by him].Adverbs which describe actions, such as the 地 adverbial phrases, may appear before 把, but in the 被 construction they are often placed before the main verb of the sentence. For instance, 那 几 张 邮 票 都 被 他 整 整 齐 齐 地 贴 在 信 封 上 了 those stamps have been stuck neatly on to the envelope by him. If 把 is used instead of 被 in the above sentence, it will be 他 把 那 几 张 邮 票 都 整 整 齐 齐 地 贴 在 信 封 上 了.

我要回帖

更多关于 action verb 的文章

随机推荐