it tastes goodbetter,和it is tasting better区别

Does Tea Taste Better When Fresh Or Does It Improve with Age?
Probably the most important piece of information that you should ask before buying a tea is when was it harvested or produced. It is startling that it’s not always readily available considering for certain categories of tea, this is essential information.
So what impact does age have on tea?
It depends on what tea it is.
Teas that Age Gracefully
Certain teas improve with age in fact, their value appreciates with each passing year- with certain caveats that we will discuss later.
The 3 main types of teas that benefit from aging are dark teas, white teas and heavy roasted oolong teas.
Dark Teas (黑茶)
Basically dark teas such as Pu-er improve with age. In fact, Pu-er has evoked many wine comparisons for its focus on production area, age, vintage and many of the better known types of Pu-er can fetch 4 or 5 digit prices, not unlike the finest wines.
Aging is especially essential for sheng pu-er or raw pu-er. Before the 70s, sheng Pu-er was the only form of Pu-er available with aged sheng known as shu. (For more details you can read this overview of Pu-er).
Young sheng Pu-er tastes bitter, astringent and generally consumption is not encouraged because it is considered very damaging to the stomach (伤胃) in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) belief. Generally consumption is not encouraged within the first 3-5 years of harvest and the taste- as well as health properties- improve with age.
White Teas
There is a saying for white tea- 5 year old white tea is a treasure, 10 year old white tea is an elixir. Hyperbole aside, white tea is another category of tea that improves with age.
Because white tea is the least processed of all types of tea- undergoing only withering and drying- it retains much of the original nature of tea- bitter and ‘damp’ (this refers to TCM nomenclature). With age, white tea actually changes its properties to sweet and ‘cooling’.
This makes it more suited for those who are older and weaker in constitution as well as a source of ‘cooling’ medicinal properties which is essential in TCM treatment.
Heavy Roasted Oolong Teas
Not all oolong teas improve with age, just those that are heavy roasted. The ‘green style’ oolongs for example have a very short shelf life- away from the fridge and when not vacuum packed, they lose their briskness and taste extremely vegetal.
For heavy roasted teas, age has the effect of making it smoother and also more soothing to the stomach. Regrettably my experience with aged oolong teas has been the odd sample or infusion that friends and associates offer me from their private stash (no one has agreed to sell me their stash thus far) so a more in-depth exposition on the virtues of aged oolong tea will have to wait till a later date.
For the rest, does it mean the fresher the better?
The short answer is- yes but not too fresh.
Green Teas
Green teas have a very short shelf life and need to be stored properly- a topic you can read more about here. In short, if stored below room temperature and well-sealed, it can last generally last for 2 years but loses its briskness about 4 months after removal from the fridge.
However fresh from the farm is not quite the ideal. Experts recommend waiting about a month after harvest time before consumption to allow the ‘damp fire’ to fade which would damage the digestive.
Beyond that, green tea tastes more brisk and smooth when well preserved- heat, moisture and oxygen have the effect and deteriorating the taste and wet leaf appearance of the tea.
Yellow Teas
Yellow teas are similar to green teas in production except with the additional stage of ‘men huang’ which is yellowing the tea with heat and humidity. This helps preserve the storage of yellow tea somewhat and it doesn’t require storage below room temperature and generally can last longer than green tea.
Like green tea, fresh yellow tea tastes better but with good storage you can preserve the brisk and sweet taste.
Green Style Oolong Teas
Green style oolong teas- especially Tieguanyin- have a very short-shelf life. Because of their minimal oxidation and roast, their moisture content is higher than most other teas and hence more subjected to the effects of time.
This is why in China and Taiwan, these teas are usually vacuum packed and kept below room temperature.
An important proviso in age and taste of tea is the storage condition.
In simplicity, teas don’t simply improve with age they only improve with age if stored properly. Enemies of tea are light, oxygen, heat, moisture and other odors. The best Dahongpao will taste like Pochai Pills if you store it together with your Pochai Pills (I’ve seen this happen).
On the other hand, storage of dark teas requires oxygen and humidity to age- that makes things a little trickier. For further reading on this subject, you can read these articles written by Chan Kam Pong aka Cloud who is one of the best known Pu-er experts among the English speaking world.
For teas that are best consumed when fresh, storage is very important as well. The photo below shows green teas that were left in the open for about a week. No question about the freshness, even though it was less than 6 months old when I conducted this experiment.
You Might Also Like :
These articles might interest you :
It’s not hard to understand the allure of tea bags, it is convenient. Use a regular mug, throw it in and douse it with boiling water. A couple of minutes...
By& Dchew78
FOOD & DRINK
The title probably might have some self-professed purist up in arms. “What? Of course it’s about taste. Most importantly- taste, taste, taste.
By& Dchew78
FOOD & DRINK
Since the past two to three decades, China has opened its door to the world at large. Tours to China have ceased to be the sole prerogative of the adventurous...
By& Dchew78
FOOD & DRINK
Technically this title is misleading since I will make no reference to the Roman consumption of tea in this article but I’m sure the idea is clear.
By& Dchew78
FOOD & DRINK
Spoiler alert: the answer is NOT to add more milk and sugar. If you read our writings, we are strong proponents of drinking tea straight, good tea can be...
By& Dchew78
FOOD & DRINK
By& Nogarlicnoonions
DINING OUT,
FOOD & DRINK
Are you a coconut fan like me? Do you wait for the season year after year just to enjoy the taste of this bizarre crunchy fruit? I do and in between waiting, I...
By& Nogarlicnoonions
DINING OUT,
FOOD & DRINK
About the author
260 shares
Author's Latest Articles
COMMUNITY DRINK
remember meit can tastes better
它可以吃口味更好
以上为机器翻译结果,长、整句建议使用
You can cater to your family members tastes and it is bound to be cheaper, better and more healthy than what you would be able to find fast food place.
你能照顾到家人的口味和它必然是便宜,比你更健康、更能够找到快餐到位。
I have not had a Microwave for 3 years and I can still cook an entire meal from scratch in less than 40 minutes - and I guarantee it tastes a hell of a lot better than anything cooked in a microwave.
我三年没用微波炉了,而我从头准备一顿饭的时间也不超过40分钟——我保证这样的菜肴绝对比微波炉加热的任何东西都好吃得多。
"When you can win like this, we can go home, we can breathe easier, food tastes better, it makes life a lot better, " Allen said.
$firstVoiceSent
- 来自原声例句
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!November 2016
Better tasting water with 3M Water Filter!
It’s small & compact, easy to install (fits easily under the sink and installation done in less than 30 mins). It is also a more affordable option and it works all the same! Can I just say I love drinking the tap water a lot more now? That funky taste no more, and I swear the tap water now taste somewhat fresh! I really am not delusional, but you just gotta try it for yourself to know what I am talking about.
The 3M Filtered Water System is capable of removing sediment, cysts, lead, chlorine taste, odor and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) or even rust for cleaner, clearer and better-tasting drinking water. Although our drinking water is safe, there are still small amounts of minerals still present in the water (Read: ) and the water filter helps filter them out as well.
All 3M Water filter systems are also tested and certified by NSF International – An independent lab that ensures all drinking water systems are tested and certified to meet what was claimed. The 3M AP Easy Complete Filtered-Water System is certified with both Standard 42 and 53 (), which means on top of the basic filtration of sediments, chlorine taste and odor, it is also tested for capabilities in removing health-related contaminants as well. I’m pretty impressed, because the water really taste different!
My sink looks completely unchanged! No additional faucet, no drilling of holes, completely untouched table top space.
Best part of the deal, I don’t have the compromise my kitchen table top space and still enjoy the same filtered water. I originally already had a mixer tap on my sink and since there isn’t hot water, my filtered water is then piped up on my mixer. No electricity is needed to power this water filter system as well so no increasing electrical bills. YAY!
The 3M AP Easy Complete Filtered-Water System has a filtration capacity of 750 gallons (2,839 litres) and it only needs a replacement in every six months (average for a family of 4) or when the capacity is reached. It can even be stretched up to nine months if you have a smaller family. You can also tell when it is time to change out the filter from the water flow. It’s time to change when the flow gets a little too small! The replacement cartridge is only $155 nett (very affordable!), which works out to be about $0.04/litre of filtered water. I think it is a small price to pay for a lot of convenience (no need to boil water!) and cleaner water. I also like that they write the date on the filter for your reference so it is easier to gauge when to change the filter. One can also easily change it out yourself by turning the filter out and clicking in the new one.
The boys doing their mandatory water parade! (I start them young. heh)
Really happy about being able to serve better quality, better tasting water for my kids straight from the tap! The husband gives his thumbs up too! Happy that I am keeping my man happy. Double happiness because it’s so affordable!
The 3M AP Easy Complete System retails at $600, inclusive of delivery and installation. BUT, 3M is currently having a one month SG50 Sale until 31 August 2015 and you can get it at just $500 nett! Don’t miss this chance to save a $100!
READER’S PROMOTION – FREE Filter Cartridge!
Here’s a special deal for my readers! Sign up via this link and quote “Cherieladie” to get an additional filter cartridge (worth $120) when you purchase the system! Promotional terms apply.
So, what else do you really need to know? The installation options!
The original set of AP Easy Complete comes with a dedicated drinking faucet actually. Having a dedicated faucet ensures your water cleanliness and installation requires drilling of a small hole to install the faucet. This is the standard option if your current sink is a single faucet.
Or, if you are like me and would prefer a cleaner look on the sink, and prefer to have just 1 faucet on the kitchen sink. There is an additional upgrade option to change your existing faucet to a mixer faucet for just an additional $150 nett. The water is then split to filtered and unfiltered water. I very much prefer this because it looks a lot more clutter free.
Reno tip: Please do consider your water filter options and factor it into your renovations if you are going to own a new place. You can hide the unnecessary pipes and prevent drilling if well-planned!
I recently also wrote about installing the
in my place and I love it. My living room is not that hot at night anymore and I don’t even need to turn on the aircon that often. My utilities bill is definitely cheaper as well. If you have the budget, go for the 3M Prestige Window Films because they are one of the better quality ones (natural looking without affecting aesthetics of the house) that help keep the heat out! Do go check
out if you are keen!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post by 3M Singapore & Jestac Pte Ltd and I have received a complimentary set of water filter system for review purposes. All thoughts and opinions are of my own. Image credits to 3M Singapore & Jestac Pte Ltd.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Related Posts
Keeping Slim with Absolute Slimming
My weight-loss journey with Absolute Slimming.
5 Christmas gift ideas for the husband!
Checking out Arts in Your Neighbourhood!
BounceOFF! Race with the Hubby!
New hair colour with The Comb Singapore.
Shape Run 2015 &#km Family Fun Run for the Choos!
3M(TM) Sun Control Window Film – Sun Protection for homes.
Beauty and the Beast – The Original Broadway Musical Spectacular.
The Three Billy Goats Gruff by The Little Company (TLC).
Easter Eggstravaganza at Universal Studios Singapore
KidsSTOP(TM) – Fun morning for the kids!
Transformers 30th Anniversary Exhibition, Singapore
Chinese Calligraphy and Finger Painting
Peter Pan – The Neverending Story
Browtisan Eyebrow Embroidery Touch Up Experience
Canon Family Bloggers Photo Shoot Out @ Sentosa Singapore
My little boy, Jerome.
Browtisan – Perfect eyebrows, everyday.
Limited Edition Shell Tanker LEGO Model
Where we stay in Bangkok – Tune Hotel
My funny Jerome Choo.
The Choos goes to Bangkok on AirAsia!
Jerry goes KidZania Bangkok!
Mom’s Best Friend – Philips Avent Celebrates 30th Anniversary!
Life made interesting with Transformers.
Junior Claus by The Little Company (Giveaway Alert!)
Thing I love about the kids.
Orange, oranges, and Sunkist!
US Southern Barbecue Grill Masters at Swensen’s
Who is your super hero?
Bepanthen Nappy Rash Ointment Review – Protecting baby bums
6 Reasons why I like Canon Selphy Printer (CP910).
Shape Run 2014 with Skechers!
Fun night out at Sentosa’s Skyline Luge!
5 Shell FuelSave Tips in a video clip.
Rocking it up the big boy pants with Drypers Drypantz
On Prime Time TV with OSIM uShape!
Celebrating the little men in my life with Pumpkin Patch Kids.
Photography Class with Canon at Fidgets! #myfamilywcanon
Happy Bedtimes with Philips Disney Imaginative Lightings!
Make the change to ultimate comfort with Drypers.
Art jamming with Pumpkin Patch on Mother’s Day weekend
Cold Storage Kids Run 2014, Gardens by the Bay
Maroyaka Kale by Yakult Health Foods
The Shell FuelSave Blogger Challenge 2014.
Getting pampered by Rapellez beauty spa!
An afternoon with Dr. Thomas Armstrong at SmartKids Asia 2014.
Menchie’s Frozen Yoghurt, now in Singapore!
(GIVEAWAY ALERT!)
Family Photo shoot with Studio Memories
Tommee Tippee Electric Breast Pump Review
Love 97.2FM DJ Violet Fenying Birthday Celebrations
Scrapbooking fun with Canon Selphy Printer
Cooking with NESTL? KOKO KRUNCH!
Lucky Baby Avenue 2 Buggy Review compared to Ultimate Stroller Guide
Gu Ma Jia Food Pot Food Review
OSIM uShape Review
All set for CNY with FOX Kids and Baby!
Gumigem Teething Necklace Review (Miller Heart Bubblegum) & GIVEAWAY
Polyvore – All about Kids’ Fashion with FOX Kids & Baby
Lassig Diaper Bag Review
Delifrance Joyeux No?l Christmas Party (Christmas Menu Review)
Shape Stroller Fun Run with Capella Stroller (Cony S230T)
Lollibox Review (Feathered Friends theme)
Philips Avance XL Airfryer – Air is the new oil!
Product Review: Philip Avent Breast Pump (Single Electric)
Sentosa Spooktacular 2013 – Date night with the husband.
Strutting down the runway at the FOX Kids Fall/Winter Fashion Show ;
FOX Little Men, Little Miss Collection
Outpost 903 Gastrobar Review {CLOSED}
Rise & Shine Expo 2013 – the ultimate expo for parents to raise happy & healthy kids.
Honest Fresh Milk is Greenfields Fresh Milk.
Shupeas Product Review + GIVEAWAY: Looking for soft, comfy shoes for your baby?
FOX-ed out with Fox Kids and Baby.
Rise and Shine Expo 2013 Giveaway: 5 pairs x Workshop passes for Raising a healthy and happy baby
Drypers DryPantz – Having more time for the things that matters.
Rise and Shine Expo 2013 & Heidi Murkoff Workshop Tickets Giveaway.
The Big B Event
NIVEA 14 Days Challenge :: The Results!
Andy Lau & Sammi Cheng at Blind Detective Gala Premiere, RWS Singapore
The NIVEA 14 Day Challenge.
Healthy dining starts with ONAKA.
[Advertorial] Abbott Nutrition Toddler Vocabulary Questionnaire
mother’s day brunch at GRUB Restaurant.
Hokkaido Chiffon Cake Baking Class by Munch Ministry
official opening of polliwogs robertson walk
Scotch Kitchen Scissors GIVEAWAY
Product Review – Scotch Kitchen Scissors from 3M + GIVEAWAY!
3M Polarizing Light – DONT MISS IT!
3M Polarizing Light – the best present for your kid..
Closing ceremony of Singapore Youth Olympics Games at the Marina Bay Floating platform
Leave A Comment
A full-time working mother & a supermom wannabe who juggles motherhood alongside with her 3 boys (husband included). she loves fashion, lives to eat, loves photography, travelling & aspires to live life to the fullest.
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Email Address
Blog Categories
Select Category
About Cherie
Activity with kids
Advertorials, Reviews & Events
Anniversaries
Baby Milestones
Breastfeeding
Conversations
Exercising
Flashback Fridays