youaiepig是pig什么意思思

Pig - Idioms by The Free Dictionary /pig
pig Also found in: , , , , , , , .
n. someo a glutton.
I try to cut down on calories, but whenever I see red meat I make a pig of myself.
n. an ugly and fat woman or man.
Clare is a pig. Why doesn’t she lose a ton or two?
n. a dirty or slovenly person.
Jimmy, change your clothes. Look at that mud, you little pig!
n. a police officer or a military officer. (Used mostly for a police officer. Widely known since the 1960s.)
The pigs who aren’t in pig heaven are driving around in pigmobiles busting innocent people like me.
n. a Caucasian. (Black.)
Why do those pigs think they can walk in here like that? See:
Want to thank TFD for its existence? , add a link to this page, or visit .
Link to this page:
This pig went to market, this pig stayed at home, "This pig had a bit of meat-- let's see what they have given US for dinner, Pigling? Below him a little were the
below these, again, the pig
and on the opposite bank, where the tall trees came down to the water's edge, was the place set apart for the Eaters of Flesh--the tiger, the wolves, the panther, the bear, and the others. Now he worked at skinning the six pigs and his eyes and his fingers worked as though there was naught else in all the world than but his ears and his nose were as busily engaged elsewhere--the former ranging the forest all about and the latter assaying each passing zephyr. It was Cosse, one of Gogoomy's tribesmen, the one who had promised to catch at sunset the pig that was to have baited the hook for Satan. I remember the out-thrust of his protruding underlip as he glared down at the wild pigs. After half an hour of bargaining, during which Captain Van Horn had insisted on the worthlessness of the parcel, he had bought a fat pig worth five dollars and exchanged it for her. Dag Daughtry drank a seventh quart as he listened, so carried away was he by the sombre sense of romance of this dark jungle event wherein men killed even strangers because a pig was dead. Treloar, who happened to be sitting next to him, was startled by the abruptness of the attack, and wondered what grounds he had ever given the little man to believe that he could call a woman a pig. He remembered invading another village of a dozen houses and driving all before him with his shot-gun save, for one old man, too feeble to flee, who spat at him and whined and snarled as he dug open a ground-oven and from amid the hot stones dragged forth a roasted pig that steamed its essence deliciously through its green-leaf wrappings. Kate, my dear,' said Mrs N 'I don't know how it is, but a fine warm summer day like this, with the birds singing in every direction, always puts me in mind of roast pig, with sage and onion sauce, and made gravy. Here I kept a pig; and one day, as ill fortune would have it, this pig broke out, and did a trespass, I think they call it, in a garden belonging to one of my neighbours, who was a proud, revengeful man, and employed a lawyer, one--one--I can' but he sent for a writ against me, and had me to size. He is a free-and-easy, careless, indifferent kind of pig, having a very large acquaintance among other pigs of the same character, whom he rather knows by sight than conversation, as he seldom troubles himself to stop and exchange civilities, but goes grunting down the kennel, turning up the news and small-talk of the city in the shape of cabbage-stalks and offal, and bearing no tails but his own: which is a very short one, for his old enemies, the dogs, have been at that too, and have left him hardly enough to swear by. Among the herd (so said the legend) was a pig of grave and solemn countenance, with whom the prince had a fellow-feeling --for he too was wise--a pig of thoughtful an an animal superior to his fellows, whose grunt was terrible, and whose bite was sharp. She went with them herself to see the pigs and the cows, to look at the darkies laying the cane, to thrash the pecan trees, and catch fish in the back lake. Sleek unwieldy porkers were grunting in the repose and abundance of their pens, from whence sallied forth, now and then, troops of sucking pigs, as if to snuff the air.
For webmasters:Is a Pig Right for You? | Pig Placement Network
Is a Pig Right for You?
Is a Pig Right for You?
So, you are thinking about getting a potbellied pig and want to know if you are doing the right thing. This flyer should answer many of your questions. In addition to reading up on pet pigs, we recommend that you take the time to actually visit Ross Mill Farm whenever possible before making your decision. Piglets are cute little butterballs for only a short time, so make sure you meet a full-grown, adult piggy before adopting.
Frequently asked questions about Vietnamese Miniature Potbellied Pigs . . .
What are some of the pros and cons about having a pet pig? Potbellied pigs (PBP’s) make good companions, but only for the right caregiver. On the plus side, pigs are smart, clean, generally non-allergenic, odor-free, flea-free, charming and inexpensive to feed. Pigs are social, bonding easily with humans. They’ll readily roll over for a tummy rub, as well as snuggle with you. They don’t bark, prowl the streets or spread rabies. Compared with dog droppings, mild smelling “pig berries” are a breeze to clean up. While pigs are highly trainable and can learn at a faster rate than dogs, pig behavior is vastly different from dog behavior. As eager as a dog can be to please his master, a pig’s respect, trust and cooperation must be earned. If the pig had it his way, you would be pleasing him.
In nature, pigs are regarded as prey, and are therefore naturally suspicious, cautious creatures. They have to be coaxed and rewarded. You cannot force a pig to do anything he doesn’ it has to be his idea. Don’t expect your pig to eagerly greet you at the door and fetch your slippers. Having a pet pig is kind of like having a perpetual two-year old child. It is because pigs are so intelligent that they can be so stubborn, demanding and manipulative. Pigs can become easily bored, grumpy, depressed, sedentary and even destructive and aggressive, if not given adequate attention by a loving caregiver. While the daily cost of keeping a pig is relatively low, if a pig becomes ill, vet bills can be unmanageable for some people. Qualified potbellied pig vets are unavailable in some areas. You need to locate a vet that will care for pet pigs before you bring one home. Often you will find you must travel quite some distance to find quality care.
Can you take a pig for a walk and play catch with him?
A pig can easily be trained to walk on a leash and harness and to ride in a car. Yes, you can take a pig for a walk, but unlike a dog, piggy will take his own sweet time checking out every gum-wrapper and leaf on the pavement. While you can teach a pig to retrieve an object, a pig will only cooperate if amply rewarded with treats. A pig does not retrieve for the joy of it.
Do pigs bite?
That’s like asking if dogs or cats bite. If given a reason, sure they do. While pigs are generally gentle by nature, they are also territorial and emotional. A pig can become aggressive when competing for food or attention. As with a dog, it is important to teach him good manners and let him know who is “top hog” in the family.
Are pigs affectionate?
A pig is not going to jump up and lick you in the face. Their affections are expressed more subtlety. Pigs love to be scratched, rubbed and massaged. Most pigs don’t like to be picked up, but will gladly lie with you and enjoy a long cuddle. Pigs appreciate and seek out human company.
How long do potbellied pigs live?
With proper care, a potbellied pig can live an average of 12 to 15 years. Your pig will live long if you make sure he doesn’t become obese, and if you provide him with ample social interaction, stimulation, outdoor time and physical exercise. If your pig becomes ill, making certain he receives prompt veterinary care will also help ensure a long, healthy life.
What happens if I get a pig and later decide that I don’t want him?
Pigs become attached to their human families very quickly, and are easily depressed when separated. Do your homework first and make sure a pet pig is really right for you and every member of your family. Ross Mill Farm or another potbellied pig sanctuary adoption program will help find the right pig for you, help you “piggy proof” your home, and support you in caring for your pig. If you find that you do not want to keep the pig, we request that you contact us as soon as possible. Municipal animal shelters (pounds) frequently auction off pigs or destroy them right away. “Free to good home” ads sometimes result in a piggy ending up on someone’s dinner table, or worse still…. Pig sanctuaries across the country are currently at capacity, so there are few good options for unwanted pet pigs. Are you really ready to keep a pig for its lifetime?
What is the zoning laws regarding pigs as pets?
Each city and county has its own zoning codes about pet pigs. Many cities prohibit farm animals, including swine. Many have revised their codes to allow potbellied pig because miniature pigs are considered companion animals. Before getting a pig, check with your city, county and homeowners association to determine the exact code. Get the code in writing!
How big are potbellied pigs?
PPB’s can range between 80 and 160 pounds, with the average pig weighing around 120 pounds. Miniature pigs continue to grow until they reach maturity at 3 to 5 years of age. Comparatively, farm pigs can weigh 600 to 1000 pounds.
Is there such thing as a Teacup or Micro-mini Potbelly Pig?
Though breeders and pet shops might claim they have micro-mini pigs, far too frequently, such pigs have stunted growth due to under-feeding and poor nutrition. Rarely do we see a pig that remains under 50 pounds at maturity unless it has health problems that are often a result of inbreeding. Starving a pig to keep it small is no different than starving a human child to keep it small. It’s cruel and it doesn’t work.
Can the size of the parents determine the ultimate size of the offspring?
To some degree, yes, but there are no 100% guarantees. Babies born to small pigs often grow up to be larger than their parents. When looking at the parents for sizing, make certain the parents are at least 3-5 years of age and that their growth has not been stunted from malnutrition or inbreeding.
What should I feed my pig?
Pigs thrive on a diet consisting of grain, vegetables and an occasional taste of fruit. Feeding your pig a complete feed like Champion Premium Potbellied Pig Feed supplemented with low-calorie fresh produce greens will keep your pig fit and trim. Do not feed your pig dog chow or cat chow. The quantity of feed depends on the age, size and activity level of your pig. Growing pigs and nursing moms need more calories than sedentary older pigs. We recommend that you feed your pig twice daily, allow yard time for grazing and include low-fat foods such as carrots, cucumbers, celery and leafy green vegetables (collard and mustard greens, spinach, etc.). Canned veggies, corn, potatoes, dried fruit, cookies, chips and nuts, etc, can pack the pounds on piggy. Pigs also enjoy hay in their diets. Use Timothy or oat hay rather than alfalfa hay. Most importantly, your pig needs access to plenty of fresh water. To ensure that your pig is properly hydrated, particularly in the summer months, add lots of hot water to his pig chow. The water will bulk up the pellets, making piggy feel fuller and more satisfied. Pigs are rooters and rummagers by nature, and therefore always act hungry. Don’t let piggy cajole you into feeding him more than he needs. The occasional special treats are okay, but avoid feeding table-scraps. Your piggy is not a garbage disposal!
Can I keep my pig inside?
While some potbellied pigs enjoy being inside the house, they also require ample outdoor time to root around, relax in the sun and engage in other piggly behavior. Pigs acquire certain critical nutrients from soil, so they must be given an opportunity to be outdoors. You can keep your pig outside during the day and allow him to sleep inside at night. While outdoors, your pig will need to be protected from the elements. Provide your pig with a properly secured yard, a house with bedding (blanketsor straw will do) and with an overhead shelter (above the house) like a tarp or canopy to protect him from the sun, wind and rain. If given a choice, some pigs prefer to live outdoors, so you must be prepared to provide a proper outdoor home.
Where do pigs sleep?
Many people provide doghouses or a shed for their pigs to sleep in outdoors. Indoors they should have their own cozy bed a large crate, dogloo or a children’s play tent are all good. Pigs living indoors need comfortable soft bedding. Dog beds and blankets work well. Outdoor houses can be packed with straw or hay. Of course, piggy will love to sleep on the bed with you. Unless you don’t mind this being an every night occurrence, don’t get him started!
Can I keep a pet pig in an apartment?
We recommend against keeping pet pigs in apartments, condos or rentals. Pigs need ample outdoor space, which cannot be provided in an apartment or condo. Renters are too often at the mercy of their landlord and cannot provide a stable home for a pig. Even if a landlord approves a pig as a tenant, frequently, a renter will move and be unable to find another rental that allows pigs.
How do I ‘piggy proof’ my house?
As you would do for any pet, make sure that household cleaning products, insecticides, medicines, lighter fluid and other toxins are out of reach. Remove plants that could harm your pig. Take potted indoor plants off the floor and don’t leave handbags within reach. Pigs love lipstick and chewing gum! They are very cleaver with their snouts and particularly industrious when they smell food. If needed, secure your cabinets with childproof locks. Avoid feeding your pig out of the refrigerator. If your pig learns to open the fridge door, you might have to install a latch. Tape up computer, telephone and electrical wires where possible. We recommend that pigs be kept away from open swimming pools.
Will my pig need a mud wallow?
Pigs do not have sweat glands, so they will attempt to cool down by rolling in mud or water. While piggy will be delighted by a wallow, they are not necessary. Provide your pig with a plastic wading pool filled with water or even keep your pig indoors in air-conditioning on hot days. Simple, inexpensive misting systems can also be easily rigged for outdoor pigs.
Will my pig get along with my dogs and cats?
Pigs and cats frequently become fast friends and bedmates. Dogs, however, are another story. We recommend that you separate your pig from your dogs. While your small dog may eventually get along with your piggy, they must always be closely supervised. As tame as your dog may be, keep in mind that dogs are natural predators of pigs and can turn on pig even years after living together. A dog can easily kill a pig. Don’t leave your pig and dog unattended.
I would like to get a pet pig for my child. Is that a good idea?
Well, that all depends on the age and maturity of the child. If you are getting a pig for a teenager, ask yourself if you are prepared to take care of the pig when your child gets busy with high school activities. Who will take care of the pig when your child leaves for college? We recommend against getting a pig for young children. A pig has a very keen sense of smell and will be attracted to food odors on a child’s hand. It is hard for some pigs to differentiate between food and fingers, unfortunately. It is dangerous to leave a young child unsupervised with a pig or any animal. Children of any age are frequently intrigued with the idea of getting a pet pig, but quickly the responsibility of daily care falls in the hands of parents. Are you prepared for that?
Can a potbellied pig be housebroken?
Yes! A potbellied pig can be housebroken faster than most dogs. If you teach your pig good habits from day one, your pig will not have “accidents” in the house. You can start a piglet with a litter-box if you’d like, but then quickly teach your pig to do his business outdoors in a designated spot. Young piglets need to urinate every hour or two. Mature pigs can hold it longer. We can give you specific instructions for housebreaking your piggy.
What type of training will my pig need?
The more you interact and work with your pig the more bonded you will be to each other and the happier your pig will be. Pigs can easily learn tricks, such as sitting, turning circles, shaking hands, rolling a ball, retrieving an object, blowing a horn and even sinking a basket. It is not necessary to teach your pig tricks for the sake of tricks, but it is necessary to teach your pig good manners. Teaching your pigs simple things like ‘sit’, ‘be gentle’, ‘good spot’ (for doing your business), etc., you will develop a system of communicating with your pig. Pigs love to learn, and are capable of learning many behaviors and words, even full sentences. A training session with your pig shows him that you are interested in him and that you care. And don’t forget to pay your pig! Pigs are highly food-motivated and will do just about anything for a treat. When it comes a small piece of treat works as well as a handful. Once your pig has learned a few behaviors, reward him only after he’s followed a series of directions. Reward him with a small treat and with lots of praise and enthusiasm, too! Keep the training fun and short, starting with 3 minute sessions and working up.
Should a potbellied pig be spayed or neutered?
Male pigs should be neutered as soon as possible. Boars (uncastrated pigs) give off a pungent, musky odor that will stick to your clothing and furniture. They display sexual behavior at a very early age and can become quite difficult to handle if left intact. Neutering a male will also retard the growth of his tusks. Females should be spayed as soon as possible, preferably before they come into season. If left unspayed, females frequently have uterine problems, such as tumors and infections. Find a qualified potbellied pig veterinarian to perform the procedure and insist that only isoflurane gas be used for anesthesia. Injectible drugs such as ketamine and cocktails used on dogs can result in serious problems, even death. The older and larger your pig gets, the more anesthesias your pig will require and the more dangerous it becomes. Get your pig neutered and spayed as early as possible!
Does my pig need vaccinations or de-worming?
Pigs should be yearly, weather they come into contact with other pigs or not. All pigs should be given, at minimum, an annual dose of “Ivermectin”, an antiparasitical agent that treats internal as well as external parasites. Some recommend quarterly doses of Ivermectin or other wormer. Yearly vaccinations are highly recommended up to at least the age of five.
What type of health problems do pigs have?
Given proper care, most pigs have few health problems. However, there are several serious problems that occasionally arise. Pigs can become easily constipated, leading to impacted bowels, a life-threatening condition. It is important that you provide your pigs with a high-fiber diet and plenty of fresh water. Male pigs can also have serious urinary tract problems, which can be costly to repair. Keeping your pig well hydrated can also prevent these problems. The biggest health problem in potbellied pigs, unfortunately, is a condition caused by their human caregivers. Obesity is the number one cause of health complications and death in potbellied pigs. Morbidly obese pigs can become blind from fatty skin folds that obstruct their vision. Obese pigs will inevitably have crippling joint problems and sometimes have respiratory problems, both conditions leading to immobility and death. Don’t let your pig get fat!
Do my pig’s hooves and tusks need to be trimmed?
While castrating a male pig will slow down the growth of his tusks, tusks will still have to be trimmed from time to time. Female pigs have very slow-growing tusks that rarely need to be trimmed. Both male and female pigs need to have their hooves routinely trimmed, usually once or twice a year. We can help you with tusk and hoof trimming, or you can take your pig to a qualified veterinarian. Prepare your pig for vet visits and trims by handling his feet and tusks.
Can I take my pig on vacation?
Yes, some pigs can travel well, but you have to prepare them. Practice riding in the car long before your vacation. Secure your pig inside an airline kennel and don’t let them ride loose in the car. AAA auto service and pet friendly web sites have lists of pet-friendly motels. If you take your pig out of state you will need a health certificate.
Can I board my pig at a dog kennel?
Some kennels will take pigs, but most are not designed to accommodate a pig. Pigs don’t do very well if kept on cement, especially wet cement for any length of time. You are better off hiring a pet-sitter or boarding your pig at The Lodge at Ross Mill Farm’s Piggy Camp.
Do potbellied pigs come in different colors?
Potbellied pigs come in a variety of colors including black, white, red/brown and pinto. Most potbellied pigs are black with white markings. White pigs are hardest to maintain because they sunburn easily and easily show dirt. They are also prone to drippy eyes.
Do potbellied pigs shed?
Yes and no. Pigs do not shed the way dogs shed. Most pigs will “blow” their coats once or twice a year. They will loose all their hair in the summer months and it will reappear by winter.
Should I get a male or female pig?
Once a male pig has been castrated and a female has been spayed, there is very little difference between the two. It is all a matter of personal preference.
I’ve heard that two pigs are better than one. Is that true?
Through our many adoptions, we find that pigs do better in pairs or small groups. While a single pig can make a fine companion, when they reach maturity they can sometimes start to exhibit undesirable behavior. This rarely happens in a two-pig household. Pigs, being herd animals, seem to do better when they have another pig around. Most people with two pigs report that it is easier to keep two than one. We recommend getting accustomed to your first pig then adopting a second one a short time later. We can help you find the right companion for your pig as well as help you introducing two pigs together.
Where can I find out more about potbellied pigs as pets?
There are many books, magazines and websites that are packed with information. Ross Mill Farm recommends reading Potbellied Pig Parenting by Nancy Shepherd. Also, do an Internet search on “pet pigs”, “potbellied pigs”, “miniature pigs” and you will not be disappointed.
Once I’ve determined that a potbellied pig is right for me, how do I go about getting a pet pig?
Contact a legitimate sanctuary, or rescue group, they will help you find the piggy of your dreams! We recommend that you adopt a pig from a sanctuary or rescue program like . Or if you prefer to get a pig through a breeder, check
for breeders that follow a code of ethics. There are many wonderful pigs just waiting to go home with you!
Checklist for a Good Piggy Caregiver
Honestly answering the following questions will help you determine if a potbellied pigs is the right type
of pet for you:
Is my area zoned for potbellied pigs? If so, what is the exact code?
Is this an impulsive decision or have I really though it out?
Have I taken the time to visit an adult pet pig?
Do I understand that pigs can be in excess of 100 pounds at maturity and that they can live 15 years?
Would I be better off getting a cat, bird or other type of pet that requires less attention?
Do I have enough patience and time to give to a pet pig?
Am I willing to learn how to work with my pig?
Can I really afford to provide vet care for my pig?
Can I provide adequate outdoor space for a pig?
Are my children too young to have a pig as a pet?
Am I expecting my children to take responsibility for the pig’s care?
If my older children are leaving for college soon, am I willing to care for the pig?
Does everyone in my house agree that we should get a pig?
Do I have someone to care for my pig while I’m away?
Am I planning on moving in the near future?
Am I renting?
Do Potbellied Pigs Make Good Pets?
At three years old, potbellied pigs average about 125 lbs. (contrary to early advertising), making it
difficult to take them to the vet in a car. Vietnamese potbellied pigs were once “darlings of the media,” and
promoted as the condo pet of the eighties – clean, smart, small and affectionate. Imported into the United
States from Canada, the first potbellies sold for up to $25,000!
Ten years later, there are sanctuaries for unwanted potbellies that are filled to capacity. Potbellies are often
advertised in the “For Free” section of newspapers, the prices have plummeted, and occasionally, the pigs
are even abandoned by the roadside. What happened?
Of course, with any new, exotic breed of animal, prices will fall as the supply meets the demand. This
goes with the territory. But in the case of the potbelly, other factors came into play. Potbellied pigs
are very “special” animals. Most owners that understand their personalities and quirks bond to them.
Many owners sleep with their pigs, travel with their oinkers, dress them in costumes and share every
aspect of their lives with their portly companions. Potbellies love to have their tummies scratched, and
to snuggle with their owners. Pigs are like 2-year-old children -intelligent, curious, mischievous and
sometimes manipulative. They are sensitive creatures that can be playful, and even almost humorous. In
the intelligence scale, they are only two species away from the intelligence of humans! Only the monkey/
ape family and the dolphin/whale families are more intelligent. Unfortunately, that can be detrimental to
having a pig as a pet. The porker will quickly learn to open refrigerator doors and cupboards in his eternal
quest for food, and outsmart his trainer by taking the shortest route to gratification. Wily pigs learn to
scream, to wake their owners for breakfast, beg for food and raid pantries. They can be demanding, overly
sensitive or even neurotic. Piggies often pout if challenged by humans! Their personalities are
complex. Because of this, pigs need a lot of discipline and monitoring. A bored pig will root, knock over
household objects and devour houseplants. Pigs take nothing for granted and seem to want to know what
is under everything. Pigs are not good pets if left home alone with no mental stimulation or physical
challenges. And, because of their intelligence, they can be aggressive with young children.
The good news is that pigs are very trainable. First, a pig must be taught that he can trust his owner. Firm,
gentle discipline works well. Because of their love for food, positive reinforcement is effective. Negative
physical reinforcement is not. Pigs have a great memory and respond well to commands. They are capable
of learning to slam dunk a basketball, play a piano, or golf, play soccer, jump through hoops, dance, ride a
skateboard and dozens of other feats. Housebreaking comes very easy to pigs.
Potbellied pigs average about 125 pounds at 3 years of age. Originally, they were advertised by breeders
as being around 50 pounds at maturity. What few people took time to learn was that the pig grows until 4
years of age, and often is too large to ride in a car to go to the veterinarian. This
problem can be overcome, if the owner is dedicated, by training a pig to climb a ramp into the car. All pigs
must be neutered and spayed to be good pets. Otherwise they are very hormonal, demanding and whiney.
Potbellies are herd animals with a strong pecking order. If they are spoiled, they often become territorial,
and aggressive towards humans, especially houseguests. The pigs have an instinctual urge to be “Top
Hog,” and defend their turf. Pigs with lots of subtle, daily discipline and boundaries in the home, do not
exhibit this phenomena. The oinkers must be taught the word “NO” and to respect humans. Porkers need
time outdoors, in a fenced yard, secure from hostile dogs. This cuts down on household territorialism, and
gives the pig something to do. Pigs root, although this can be somewhat curtailed. They rarely get fleas, but
do get mange, which is easily treatable. All in all, pigs have the potential to be the BEST pet, or the very
WORST pet. It really depends upon the expectations and efforts of the owners. Pigs are not small, or easily
transportable, and do not belong in apartments, generally. They can be convoluted, or even aggressive, if
their caretaker does not come across as a leader. They get bored easily, and knock over waste paper baskets
and household objects. They will also do anything for food – living up to their name.
As long as you do not expect a pig to be anything other than a pig, a potbelly can be a marvelous lifetime
companion. They are adorable, loving, affectionate creatures with incredible intelligence. They have
grunted their way into our hearts and I wouldn’t trade mine for anything in the world.
Article Courtesy of Priscilla Valentine. Reference:
“Potbellied Pig Behavior and Training”
You can order Priscilla’s book, “Potbellied Pig Behavior and
Training,” from our website…
“Potbellied Pigs” compiled and edited
by “Chris” Christensen
Although the keeping of animals as pets in a domestic environment has been going on for a few thousand
years, it has really exploded during the last two hundred. Over this period the social conditions in Western
countries have improved at a tremendous rate. This has given the working
masses more time and money to devote to leisure activities. Among these, the keeping of pets has become
preeminent. From dogs to cats, small rodents to rabbits, to birds and fish as pets, animal lovers have
continually sought more exotic creatures to care for. Various animal species have been the source of fads
or crazes. Among these have been monkeys, apes, wild cats, foxes, spiders, stick insects, and recently
reptiles, especially the numerous snakes of the world. There has also been a steady growth in the number of
people desiring to keep miniature animals. In the late 1980s there arrived a very common animal wrapped
up in an exotic package. This was
the miniature Vietnamese pot-bellied pig. Within just a few years this unlikely candidate for sharing your
home with has rocketed to pet stardom and was for a time, the most “in” pet you could buy. When Keith
Connell, a Canadian zoo director, imported sixteen unrelated potbellies {predominantly black in color with
some white markings. . .editor} into Canada during
1985 (two of the original eighteen not surviving the journey or the quarantine period) little could he have
realized just what an impact these were destined to have on the pet market. Intended as breeding stock to
supply zoological gardens, they were to prove to be the foundation stock for the new pet on the block in
the USA. In 1989, a second line of potbellies arrived in Texas {predominantly white in color. . .editor}.
These were imported by Keith Leavitt from Europe. The vast majority of all registered pot-bellied pigs in
the USA can be traced back to these two lines, known as the Connell and Lea lines. In more recent years
there have been further importations from European stocks. Unlike other exotic pets that have come and
gone, either as a result of legislation being enacted that banned their being kept, or because they were too
difficult to keep in a home, the potbelly has all the attributes that should ensure it remains popular. Its small
size, when compared to the average farmyard pig, is clearly the basis of its appeal. Miniature pigs (there are
a number of other breeds that were established ahead of the pot-belly, but which have never gained popular
pet status) stand at a maximum of 21 inches at the shoulder. They can be as small as 12 inches, with 14-18
inches being the
typical size of a nice pig. {Weight ranges from as low of 60 lbs to into the 300 lb. range for unusually
large overfed animals. A farmyard pig can weigh over 1,000 lbs. Pigs
reach full growth in 3 to 5 years. Most potbelly pigs seem to be in the 100 to 150 lb range with some
large not overfed pigs hitting as high as 200 lbs. Like people they come in all
sizes. . . editor}
Potbellies have so much more going for them than just their small size. All pigs are highly intelligent
creatures and they can be trained to the same degree as a dog. Naturally,
their physical stature is such that they cannot do the same things as a canine, so all training must take this
into account. They are extremely devoted companions that display the same
virtues as any other intelligent animal. Contrary to popular belief, pigs are not dirty animals.
This image is strictly man made as a result of the unsuitable accommodations they are often forced to live
in on backyard farms. On the other hand, one cannot in truth say that they are
delicate and tidy when it comes to their feeding habits! They enjoy eating, which is reflected in the
gusto with which they will attack their food dish. {In the short space of a few years the potbelly hobby
had expanded at quite a remarkable rate. There were many official associations that controlled the
registration of these pets, clubs for pet owners and there was a highly organized show system. There
are not as many organizations or shows as there once was. Rescue groups and sanctuaries have taken
over…editor}
Other virtues of these pintsized porcines are that they do not shed hair all over the place (the little they
have they like to keep!) {If you have a potbelly pig you know this is not true. They do shed, sometimes
depending on the weather, many times a year. The bristles are quite different from other animal
shedding and depending on your type of floor coverings, allergies, and areas where the pig is allowed to
roam, harder or easier to deal with. . . editor} and they will not attract fleas. Their thick skin makes for a
tough place for unwanted critters to hide and feed on. {They are however prone to getting mange mites,
but the mites are fairly easy to control with readily available oral and injectable treatments…editor}
Pet pigs must be neutered or spayed: the result of this is that they are virtually odor free-as is their fecal
matter. The benefits of potbellies can really add up. This is not to say they are suited to every household,
because like any pet you could name there are some drawbacks, few though these may be. Already you
can read of potbellies being abandoned in parks. The fact that there are now a number of established
pig sanctuaries is testimony to the fact that a number of owners have experienced problems with them.
However, in just about every one of these instances it was the owner, and not the pig, that was at fault.
They say ignorance is bliss, but this is hardly so here these pets are concerned-but it is a reality that through
ignorance many people end up with a pet totally unsuited to them. Having acquired your potbelly, you
should be able to look forward to as much as 15-20 years of devoted companionship from it. The actual
longevity of these pets has yet to be firmly established, as on average-no one has owned them that long as a
pet! The age given is therefore an estimate based on both normal porcine age in other breeds, and from
information, limited though it is, from zoological garden specimens.

我要回帖

更多关于 pig是什么意思 的文章

随机推荐