beside of the trees on the level...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A hand-written manuscript of the poem (1802).
Add. MS 47864
I wandered lonely as a Cloud
          I wandered lonely as a cloud
          That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
          When all at once I saw a crowd,
          A host,
          Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
          Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
          Continuous as the stars that shine
          And twinkle on the milky way,
          They stretched in never-ending line
          Along the margin of a bay:
          Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
          Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
          The wave but they
          Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
          A poet could not but be gay,
          In such a jocund company:
          I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
          What wealth the show to me had brought:
          For oft, when on my couch I lie
          In vacant or in pensive mood,
          They flash upon that inward eye
          Which is t
          And then my heart with pleasure fills,
          And dances with the daffodils.
William Wordsworth (1815)
"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" (also commonly known as "Daffodils") is a
by . It is Wordsworth's most famous work.
The poem was inspired by an event on 15 April 1802, in which Wordsworth and his sister
came across a "long belt" of . Written some time between 1804 and 1807 (in 1804 by Wordsworth's own account), it was first published in 1807 in , and a revised version was published in 1815.
In a poll conducted in 1995 by the
Bookworm programme to determine the nation's favourite poems, I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud came fifth. Often , the poem is commonly seen as a classic of English
poetry, although Poems in Two Volumes, in which it first appeared, was poorly reviewed by Wordsworth's contemporaries.
The inspiration for the poem came from a walk Wordsworth took with his sister Dorothy around Glencoyne Bay, , in the . He would draw on this to compose "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" in 1804, inspired by Dorothy's journal entry describing the walk:
in the English Lake District. Ullswater from Gobarrow Park, J. M. W. Turner, watercolor, 1819.
When we were in the woods beyond Gowbarrow park we saw a few daffodils close to the water side, we fancied that the lake had floated the seed ashore & that the little colony had so sprung up – But as we went along there were more & yet more & at last under the boughs of the trees, we saw that there was a long belt of them along the shore, about the breadth of a country turnpike road. I never saw daffodils so beautiful they grew among the mossy stones about & about them, some rested their heads upon these stones as on a pillow for weariness & the rest tossed and reeled and danced & seemed as if they verily laughed with the wind that blew upon them over the Lake, they looked so gay ever dancing ever changing. This wind blew directly over the lake to them. There was here & there a little knot & a few stragglers a few yards higher up but they were so few as not to disturb the simplicity & unity & life of that one busy highway – We rested again & again. The Bays were stormy & we heard the waves at different distances & in the middle of the water like the Sea.
—Dorothy Wordsworth, The Grasmere Journal Thursday, 15 April 1802
At the time he wrote the poem, Wordsworth was living with his wife, Mary Hutchinson, and sister Dorothy at , in
in England's . Mary contributed what Wordsworth later said were the two best lines in the poem, recalling the "tranquil restoration" of ,
Which is the bliss of solitude
The entire household thus contributed to the poem. Nevertheless, Wordsworth's biographer Mary Moorman, notes that Dorothy was excluded from the poem, even though she had seen the daffodils together with Wordsworth. The poem itself was placed in a section of Poems in Two Volumes entitled Moods of my Mind in which he grouped together his most deeply felt . Others included , a childhood recollection of chasing butterflies with Dorothy, and , in which he says of Dorothy "She gave me eyes, she gave me ears".
The earlier , a collection of poems by both himself and , had been first published in 1798 and had started the romantic movement in England. It had brought Wordsworth and the other Lake poets into the poetic limelight. Wordsworth had published nothing new since the 1800 edition of Lyrical Ballads, and a new publication was eagerly awaited. Wordsworth had, however, gained some financial security by the 1805 publication of the fourth edition of Lyrical Ballads; it was the first from which he enjoyed the profits of copyright ownership. He decided to turn away from the long poem he was working on (The Recluse) and devote more attention to publishing Poems in Two Volumes, in which "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" first appeared.
, the "daffodil" native to the Lake District
Wordsworth revised the poem in 1815. He replaced "dancing" with "golden"; "along" with "beside"; and "ten thousand" with "fluttering and". He then added a stanza between the first and second, and changed "laughing" to "jocund". The last stanza was left untouched.
The plot of the poem is simple. In the 1815 revision, Wordsworth described it as "rather an elementary feeling and simple impression (approaching to the nature of an ocular spectrum) upon the imaginative faculty, rather than an exertion of it..."
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Pamela Wolfe notes "The permanence of stars as compared with flowers emphasises the permanence of memory for the poet."
Continuous as the stars that shine
and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The wave but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:
notes that the final verse replicates in the minds of its readers the very experience it describes.
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
Which is t
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
of Poems in Two Volumes
Poems in Two Volumes was poorly reviewed by Wordsworth's contemporaries, including , whom Wordsworth came to despise. Byron said of the volume, in one of its first reviews, "Mr. W[ordsworth] ceases to please, ... clothing [his ideas] in language not simple, but puerile". Wordsworth himself wrote ahead to soften the thoughts of , hoping his friend
would push for a softer approach. He succeeded in preventing a known enemy from writing the review, but it didn' as Wordsworth himself said, it was a case of "Out of the frying pan, into the fire". Of any positives within Poems in Two Volumes, the perceived masculinity in , written on the death of
and unlikely to be the subject of attack, was one such. Poems like "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" could not have been further from it. Wordsworth took the reviews stoically.
Even Wordsworth's close friend
said (referring especially to the "child-philosopher" stanzas VII and VIII of ) that the poems contained "mental bombast". Two years later, however, many were more positive about the collection.
said that he had "dwelt particularly on the beautiful idea of the 'Dancing Daffodils'", and this was echoed by . Critics were rebutted by public opinion, and the work gained in popularity and recognition, as did Wordsworth.
Poems in Two Volumes was savagely reviewed by
(without, however, singling out "I wandered lonely as a Cloud"), but the Review was well known for its dislike of the . As
put it at the time of the poem's publication, "Wordsworth is harshly treated in the Edinburgh Review, but Jeffrey gives ... as much praise as he usually does", and indeed Jeffrey praised the sonnets.
Upon the author's death in 1850, the
called "I wandered lonely as a Cloud" "very exquisite".
The poem is presented and taught in many schools in the English-speaking world: these include the 7th grade of most schools of the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), ; the English Literature
course in some examination boards in England, , and in the current
topic, Inner Journeys, . It is also frequently used as a part of the
English Course in Ireland as part of the Poetry Section. In , V.S.Naipaul refers to a campaign in Trinidad against the use of the poem as a set text because daffodils do not grow in the tropics.
Because it is one of the best known poems in the English language, it has frequently been the subject of
and satire.
It was the subject of a 1985
TV advertisement, which depicts a poet having difficulties with his opening lines, only able to come up with I walked about a bit on my own or I strolled around without anyone else until downing a Heineken and reaching the immortal "I wandered lonely as a Cloud" (because "Heineken refreshes the poets other beers can't reach"). The assertion that Wordsworth originally hit on "I wandered lonely as a cow" until Dorothy told him "William, you can't put that" occasionally finds its way into print.
In 2004, in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the writing of the poem, it was also read aloud by 150,000 British schoolchildren, aimed both at improving recognition of poetry, and in support of .
The daffodils Wordsworth saw would have been wild daffodils. However, the
runs a Daffodil Day every year, allowing visitors to view daffodils in Cumbrian gardens including , which was planted by Wordsworth. In 2013 the event was held in March, when unusually cold weather meant that relatively few of the plants were in flower. April, the month that Wordsworth saw the daffodils at Ullswater, is usually a good time to view them, although the Lake District climate has changed since the poem was written.
In 2007, Cumbria Tourism released a
version of the poem, featuring MC Nuts, a Lake District , in an attempt to capture the "YouTube generation" and attract tourists to the Lake District. Published on the two-hundredth anniversary of the original, it attracted wide media attention. It was welcomed by the , but attracted the disapproval of some commentators.
In 2015 events marking the 200th anniversary of the publication of the revised version are being celebrated at .
Wordsworth, William. . .
. Representative Poetry Online. .
Moorman (1965) p.27
Magill, Frank N Wilson, J Jason. Philip K. (1992). Masterplots II. (Goa-Lov, Vol. 3). Salem Press. p. 1040.  .
Gryff Rhys Jones, ed. (1996). The Nation's Favourite Poems. BBC Books. p. 17.  .
The Wordsworth Trust. . The Wordsworth Museum & Art Gallery 2010.
. Visit Cumbria 2009.
Wordsworth ed. Woof (2002) p. 85
Moorman (1965) p. 27
Moorman (1965) p. 96-7
Davies, Hunter (2009). . Frances Lincoln Ltd. pp. 189–190.   2009.
Johnston, Kenneth R. (1998). The Hidden Wordsworth. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. pp. 822–823.  .
. The Wordsworth Museum & Art Gallery 2009.
(6 March 2004). . Guardian Online (London) 2009.
Pamela Wolfe (November 2009). . British History in-depth.
. Britain Express. .
(1837). . H.L. Broenner. p. 686 2009.
Hill, John Spencer. . .
Woof, Robert et al. (2001). . Routlege. p. 235.   2009.
Editor (1850). .
(New York: Leonard Scott and Co.) 53 (October): 138.
Wainwright, Martin (20 March 2012). .
(London) 2012.
. . March .
McCarthy, Michael (March 2015).
. National Gardens Scheme 2013.
. . March .
Wainwright, Martin (March 2012). . The Guardian (London) 2013.
. . April .
Martin Wainwright (April 2007). . guardian.co.uk (London: ) 2009.
Ben Marshall (April 2007). . guardian.co.uk (London: ) 2009.
Their cottage is known as Dove Cottage today, but in fact it had no name in their time and their address was simply "Town End, Grasmere", Town End being the name of the hamlet in Grasmere they lived in c.f. Moorman (1957) pp. 459–60.
Wordsworth famously defined poetry as "the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquillity". Mary Moorman (1957 pp. 148–9) remarks that in this manner spring poems such as "" and "I wandered lonely as a Cloud", as well as all the best of .
Davies, Hunter. William Wordsworth, Weidenfeld and Nicolson 1980
Gill, Stephen. William Wordsworth: A Life, Oxford University Press 1989
Moorman, Mary. William Wordsworth, A Biography: The Early Years,
v. 1, Oxford University Press 1957
Moorman, Mary. William Wordsworth: A Biography: The Later Years, 1803–50 v. 2, Oxford University Press 1965
Wordsworth, Dorothy (ed. Pamela Woof). The Grasmere and Alfoxden Journals. Oxford University Press 2002
has original text related to this article:
, The Wordsworth Trust
From the 1990 concept album "Tyger and Other Tales"
: Hidden categories:North of Boston by Robert Frost - Free Ebook
No cover available
Bibliographic Record
North of Boston
The pasture -- Mending wall -- The death of the hired man -- The mountain -- A hundred collars -- Home burial -- The black cottage -- Blueberries -- A servant to servants -- After apple-picking -- The code -- The generations of men -- The housekeeper -- The fear -- The self-seeker -- The wood-pile -- Good hours.
Release Date
Jan 1, 2002
Copyright Status
Public domain in the USA.
351 downloads in the last 30 days.
Download This eBook
//www.gutenberg.org/files/-h/3026-h.htm
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="2 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3026.epub.noimages?session_id=ee8ea9fcd6aefab38d8e621d8f277fb
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3026.kindle.noimages?session_id=ee8ea9fcd6aefab38d8e621d8f277fb
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="5 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3026.txt.utf-8
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="6 kB
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3026/
Enter your search terms separated by spaces,
then press &Enter&.
Avoid punctuation except as indicated below:
exact match
Always put spaces around these.
this query
shakespeare hamlet
"Hamlet" by Shakespeare
"qui", not "Quixote"
love stories
love stories
a.shakespeare
by Shakespeare
s.shakespeare
about Shakespeare
ebook no. 74
juvenile l.german
juvenile lit in German
verne ( l.fr | l.it )
by Verne in French or Italian
love stories ! austen
love stories not by Austen
jane austen cat.audio
audio books by Jane Austen答案:1.D;2.A;3.B;4.C;5.A;6.D;7.D;8.B;9.C;10.A;11.B;12.D;13.B;14.B;15.A;16.A;17.D;18.C;19.D;20.C;
请选择年级高一高二高三请输入相应的习题集名称(选填):
科目:高中英语
完形填空 :通读下面的短文, 掌握其大意, 然后在1—25各题所给的四个选项中, 选出  
一个最佳答案。     
  When you read a story in English, do you read it for the story or  
for the English? This is a 1 that is not so foolish 2 it may seem. For  
I 3 that many students of English 4 far more attention to the story  
than to the English. They read and 5 and for a long time 6 remember  
the story, but do not care to study the 7 of words and 8 in it. For  
instance, they care for the memory of 9 the mystery (神秘) in the  
story is solved, but do not remember a 10 sentence in the story and  
cannot 11 what preposition is used before or after a certain 12 in  
the speech of a 13 character.  
   Of course, it is all right to read and enjoy and 14 a story, and  
so 15 as one wants to 16 the story only, one need not bother (费心)  
about the language. But the case is quite different with a 17 of  
English. I mean a student of English is different from a student of  
stories or 18 is called the general reader.  
   As you may also have 19 from the above, you ought to read very 20.  
Not only very carefully but also aloud, and that again and again 21  
you know the passage by heart and can 22 it as if it were your own.  
Positively (正面) this will teach you many 23  
negatively (负面) it will help you to avoid many errors and faults in  
expression. Incidentally I have found from 24 that intelligent  
copying is a help to 25 by heart.  
(1) A.  
(2) A. since  
(3) A.  
(4) A. give  
(5) A. like  
(6) A.  
afterwards
B. forwards
(7) A. meaning  
C. difference
D. structure
(8) A. title   
B. paragraphs
C. phrases
D. sentences
(9) A. when  
(10) A. simple  
D. compound
(11) A. tell  
B. understand
C. realize
(12) A.  
D. adjective
(13) A.  
B. curious
D. certain
(15) A. short  
(16) A. read  
(17) A.  
B. teacher
(18) A. that  
(19)A.  
C. reached
D. gathered
(20) A.  
B. carefully
(21) A. till  
(22) A. keep  
(23) A. useful  
B. important
D. necessary
experiment
D. experience
(25) A.  
remembering
B. learning
C. knowing
完形填空:
Mr Parker was living in the country , and he wanted to go to an office
in the city one day . He 1 the address on a letter, got 2 his car and 3 to
the city . He drove straight to the office without any 4 and stopped his car 5 the
office. He locked his car and 6 to go into his office, but suddenly he turned
around and went back to his car . He remembered that he 7 his keys in it ! He
telephoned his wife and said, “ 8 , I ’ve locked my keys in my car . Please 9
me your keys .”
Mrs Parker got into their 10 car and drove twenty miles to 11
her husband. But 12 Mr Parker was waiting for his wife, he walked 13 his
car and tried the other 14 . It was not locked ! Mr Parker locked it 15 before
his wife arrived.
D.difficult
A.in the front of
B.in the middle of
C.in front of
D.at the foot of
D.wondered
A.has locked
B.had lock
D.had locked
A.listen to me
B.I need your help
C.Excuse me
D.Don’t smile at me
C.a second
D.the other
A.suddenly
  Tadatoyo Yamamoto is a Japanese businessman.He  1 the
US from time to time.While he was  2 at a hotel on a visit to Chicago,he put his bag
on the  3 .A few minutes  4 ,Mr Yamamoto reached down for it,but it was  5 .Inside
it were about $ 900,his passport(护照),  6 of his family,and his  7 tickets
&& But three weeks  8 he returned to Tokyo,Mr Yamamoto  9 an envelope.There was  10 inside but his passport,his airline tickets,photos of
his family and  11 orders for more than $900
and a  12 from Mr Joseph Loveras.It said:
& “I  13 this money order and the things … will make you believe in the  14 of Chicago.”
&&& The next  15 he travelled to the US,Mr
Yamamoto  16 Mr Loveras.He was a 67-year-old sick man with a total  17 of $ 493 a month.
&&& He explained that he  18 the bag on a street
corner and  19 the money and the tickets in the top part of the  20 .He
changed the money into money orders and  21 his own money to send it to Japan.
&&& Mr Yamamoto was very  22 by what Mr Loveras
had done. “I asked him  23 he would go to all the trouble to return  24 to
me.He told me that if he had not done it,it would have made him feel bad for the rest of
his  25 .”
&&& Now they have become friends,and Mr Yamamoto visits
Mr Loveras every time he is in the US.
A.understands
B.studies
A.looking
C.telephoning
D.sleeping
D.computer
D.earlier
A.information
D.letters
C.written
A.received
B.accepted
C.picked up
D.heard from
A.anything
B.something
C.everything
D.nothing
C.programme
D.passage
B.believe
A.service
A.looked for
B.looked after
C.called at
D.called on
D.changed
A.excited
B.surprised
D.frigtened
C.whether
B.everything
C.the bag
D.the money
B.country
Nicolette Morganti’s friends can’t understand
why she joined a dating agency().
She has a good job &&&1&& &a
personal assistant with a television news agency, her own house, and a full
social life. But she, a 29-year-old woman, who has a degree in English
Literature(),is so &&&2&& &with
British &&&3&& &that she joined the English Rose dating agency to get in
touch with single American males.
“English men are usually materialistic and
have &&&4&& &imagination,” she says.
“I have &&&5&&
&years being bored by
men who never do anything &&&6&&& .”
“I’m almost 30 now and I would really love to
&&&7&& &a husband and have &&&8&&
.I’d like to live in London for six months of the year and in the
States for   9&&& &six months.”
In her search for the perfect man, Nicolette
once& &&10&& &an advertisement in a magazine for &&&11&& &people and had 400 replies.
But she says, “I only met one or two of them.& 12&& &of
the others sounded very &&13&& .”
Nicolette joined English Rose about 18 months
&&&14&& &and has met &&&15&&
She says, “I &&&16&&
&that American men are
more romantic and thoughtful than British men. I rang   17&& &in the States, and afterwards he sent me 200 dollars to &&&18&& &the
“I’ve met five so far but I’m looking for
someone very &&&19&&
. I’d like to find a caring, well-educated, non-smoking,
animal-lover with a professional job and a &&&20&&
&of adventure.”
1.A.like                            && B.being
C.as                            &&& D.with
2.A.tired                        && &&& B.bored
C.pleased                           D.angry
3.A.men                            & B.games
C.music                          && D.master
4.A.some                        & &&& B.much
C.a little                          && D.no
5.A.passed                          && B.spent
C.entered                           D.wasted
6.A.exciting                           B.moving
C.interesting                         D.living
7.A.marry to                        &&& B.accept
C.receive                           D.find
8.A.friends                          & B.work
C.a home                           D.children
9.A.another                          & B.some
C.the other                        && D.other
10.A.wrote                          & B.put
C.gave                             D.posted
11.A.single                          && B.married
C.only                             D.lonely
12.A.Most                           & B.Few
C.All                            &&& D.Some
13.A.worrying                          &&& B.encouraging
C.boring                               D.surprising
14.A.before                           B.later
C.more                              && D.ago
15.A.from                          && B.since
C.after                             D.until
16.A.expect                           B.suppose
C.know                          && D.feel
17.A.one                             B.it
C.them                              && D.him
18.A.pay to                          & B.pay
C.pay for                           D.pay
19.A.ordinary                        && B.handsome
C.special                          & D.lovely
20.A.feeling                           B.sense
C.way                             D.kind
来源:英语教研室
Nicolette Morganti’s friends can’t understand
why she joined a dating agency().
She has a good job &&&1&& &a
personal assistant with a television news agency, her own house, and a full
social life. But she, a 29-year-old woman, who has a degree in English
Literature(),is so &&&2&& &with
British &&&3&& &that she joined the English Rose dating agency to get in
touch with single American males.
“English men are usually materialistic and
have &&&4&& &imagination,” she says.
“I have &&&5&&
&years being bored by
men who never do anything &&&6&&& .”
“I’m almost 30 now and I would really love to
&&&7&& &a husband and have &&&8&&
.I’d like to live in London for six months of the year and in the
States for   9&&& &six months.”
In her search for the perfect man, Nicolette
once& &&10&& &an advertisement in a magazine for &&&11&& &people and had 400 replies.
But she says, “I only met one or two of them.& 12&& &of
the others sounded very &&13&& .”
Nicolette joined English Rose about 18 months
&&&14&& &and has met &&&15&&
She says, “I &&&16&&
&that American men are
more romantic and thoughtful than British men. I rang   17&& &in the States, and afterwards he sent me 200 dollars to &&&18&& &the
“I’ve met five so far but I’m looking for
someone very &&&19&&
. I’d like to find a caring, well-educated, non-smoking,
animal-lover with a professional job and a &&&20&&
&of adventure.”
1.A.like                            && B.being
C.as                            &&& D.with
2.A.tired                        && &&& B.bored
C.pleased                           D.angry
3.A.men                            & B.games
C.music                          && D.master
4.A.some                        & &&& B.much