man that you fearold man ___he ...

(阅读理解)The old man that the author noticedJust two weeks ago, I was about to cross a busy road when I noticed an old grandpa with a heavy load on his head just a few meters from me. He looked very weak. A few minutes later, I realized I’d forgotten to cross the road. And he’d seen me looking at him.
I love my grandparents so much that whenever I see any old people I won’t forget to smile at them. I couldn’t let go of this grandpa, either. He came near me and handed me a note on which there was an address. I showed him the directions and said he would need a taxi as it was 3 pm on a hot summer’s day. Anybody would faint(昏倒)dead in this weather and I didn’t want him to walk all the way. But he looked disappointed.
I asked where he had come from. He replied weakly that he was from Chidambaram, about 240 kilometers from where we were. I was shocked because he looked like he could not even take 2 steps without falling. I called a taxi immediately and asked the driver to drop him at his place. The grandpa wasn’t ready because he had no money. I paid for his journey and asked the driver to drop him off safely.When I turned to look at the grandpa, who was leaving, tears filled my eyes and I didn’t want to leave. Memories of my grandparents flashed in my mind, making me feel like crying. I said goodbye to the grandpa, and some happy tears dropped from his eyes.56. The old man that the author noticed _____.A. was too weak to stand still
\x09\x09B. fell down on the roadC. had a load on his head \x09\x09\x09D. didn’t know how to cross the road57. What was the old man’s purpose in coming near the author?A. To ask why he was looking at him. \x09\x09B. To ask him for directions. C. To get him to call a taxi for him.\x09\x09\x09D. To borrow some money.58. The old man was disappointed at first probably because _____.A. he could not afford a taxi
\x09\x09\x09\x09 B. he didn’t understand the author’s wordsC. he couldn’t bear the hot weather any more\x09 D. he couldn’t walk any more59. Which of the following things surprised the author most?A. That no one was with the old man.B. That the old man was just like his own grandpa. C. That the old man had come from a faraway place although he was weak. D. That the old man had such a heavy load with him.60. Which of the following sentences can be the main idea of the passage?A. A friend in need is a friend indeed.B. Where there is a will, there is a way.C. Expend the respect of the aged in one’s family to that of other families.D. A fall into the pit, a gain in your wit.
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码_isthatold(年老的:)man?he,smygrandpa._百度知道
_isthatold(年老的:)man?he,smygrandpa.
s my grandpa?He&#39.他是我爷爷Who is that old man?那位老人是谁
英语学习顾问
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁You don't know what happened to Michael Brown, so stop pretending that you do - The Matt Walsh Blog
I don’t know what happened to Michael Brown.
Maybe something conclusive — solid, physical evidence, pointing in one direction or another — will come out within 15 minutes of this post’s publication. Maybe it will take another week. Maybe it will be a month. Maybe we’ll never know for sure.
I don’t know when we’ll know, or if we’ll know, or what we’ll know when we know if we ever know.
I don’t know.
But I do know this: it doesn’t much matter anymore.
Sure, it matters
in the actual sense. It matters to God. It matters to honest people. It matters to mature adults who just want the truth, and who don’t show up at crime scenes with pom-poms and popcorn, rooting for one side or another to “win.” It matters to the rational, the reasonable, the thoughtful.
But that is a dwindling breed. As it rapidly fades into the ether, we are left with a society populated by frauds who simply don’t care about the truth at all. It’s almost pathological at this point. They don’t hate the truth, necessarily, they just don’t see it as a particularly compelling issue. They cast their die before the facts are known, and stick by their wagers in spite of whatever information comes to light. They play their assigned role in the Great Narrative, and they never, ever, under any circumstance, stray from the script. All of this, of course, perpetuated by a media that establishes its storyline and then “reports” only on events consistent with the plot. Sometimes they make complicated situations simple, and sometimes they make simple situations complicated. Whatever the case, they make it, and then eventually they drop it and move on to the next ratings stunt.
So that’s why, to many people, it doesn’t matter what actually happened to Michael Brown. This isn’t about Michael Brown anymore. It never was, really. It’s about a narrative — a story — and Michael Brown is useful so long as he serves it.
Does anyone think the protestors will go home and apologize if the officer is vindicated by the evidence? Will MSNBC retract every reckless conjecture and misleading statement? Will Al Sharpton shout “my bad,” and head home, never again to descend like a despicable vulture whenever news cameras and racial tensions meet? Will the looters return their stolen merchandise? Will the Twitter prognosticators tweet out their mea culpas? Will social media be flooded with humbled and humiliated concessions?
If Christ Himself spoke from the heavens and contradicted the established mainstream narrative, is there any way that any of these things would happen as a result?
No, definitely not. They’d just accuse Jesus of getting His facts from Fox News.
But maybe those who’ve rushed to judgment will finally, for once, get to puff up their chests and tell us that they told us so. Maybe they’ll be proven right. Maybe. I don’t know.
I’m willing to say I don’t know, even if it robs me of the opportunity to brag that “I was right from the beginning.”
The problem is that there’s little risk in being rash and reckless. These days, nobody remembers anything that happened before yesterday, nor dwells on anything once it stops trending on Twitter. Therefore, you can be wrong a hundred times a day, you can prophesy and proclaim and accuse, you can do it all without a modicum of reason or integrity, and you will never be held accountable for it. Your credibility is only ever damaged when you stray from the Established Truth, but not when you stray from the Actual Truth.
So this probably won’t do any good, but I’d like to try to break through this wall of false certainty. It’s not that I want to convince you to t I just want to convince you that you shouldn’t be on anyone’s side right now. I can only prove that nothing’s been proven. I can only show that not enough has been shown. Do what you will with the information — or rather the lack of information — but you must at least consider this:
– Michael Brown was , twice in the head. Much is being made of the fact that the officer hit him with six bullets, but there is nothing that can be immediately gleaned from this. Despite what you’ve been told, six shots are not automatically “excessive.” It’s particularly relevant in this case to note that Brown was shot in the arm several times, and that . This could mean that the cop riddled an innocent man with bullets, or it could mean that the cop was shooting at an aggressive, charging suspect, and he had to keep shooting until the suspect went down.
Police are trained to shootwhich means they shoot until the threat is neutralized. Sometimes this takes two shots, sometimes six, sometimes ten, sometimes more. Sometimes they go overboard, but nobody with firearm experience would tell you that there’s an a number that, when reached, immediately renders each subsequent bullet “excessive.”
Really, what’s the thought process here? If (notice, “IF”) Brown was on the attack, are we now saying that the cop should have fired a predetermined “reasonable” quantity of bullets, and then, if the suspect was still coming after him, he should have holstered his gun and ran for the hills, all in the name of meeting the media’s bullet quota?
This isn’t Hollywood. You can’t take everyone down with one shot.
The number of bullets only matters if certain circu specifically, the circumstance where Brown was surrendering. But if Brown was surrendering then it doesn’t matter if he was shot once or a dozen times, the officer would be guilty of murder. Either way, harping on the number of bullets inflames emotions and does nothing to enlighten or clarify.
– Michael Brown was unarmed. This is relevant, but it doesn’t conclusively tell us anything. The way people are carrying on, you’d think there’s never a time when an unarmed man could pose a lethal threat to an armed man. Leftwing blogs have spent all week telling us that unarmed people are shot by police officers on a relatively frequent basis. They’re right, but they’re wrong when they try to paint this dynamic in a cartoonish, simplistic, “cops are always bad and racist, and suspects are always good and innocent” light. There are many reasons why a law enforcement officer might have cause to shoot an unarmed man — the first being the rather obvious fact that cops don’t always know that the unarmed man is an unarmed man.
Are we really now suggesting that police officers should wait until they’re shot at to shoot back? What sort of maniac would ever become a cop if he had to adhere to those regulations? Being a police officer c I, for one, don’t think it ought to be suicidal.
Another convincing reason to shoot an unarmed man might be when the man in question is about the size of a professional offensive lineman. Michael Brown was 6+ and close to 300 pounds, which makes him only a bit smaller than the at this year’s NFL scouting combine.
Have you ever been physically assaulted by a 300 pound man? I haven’t, but I’m willing to believe that the experience could be fatal.
Now, if Brown was shot with his hands up, or if Brown was shot while fleeing, then his size is of no consequence. But it’s hard to believe that so many people truly think his size was of no consequence even if he was attempting to attack the officer.
There’s another point that must be raised here: nobody has any right to physically assault another human being, including a cop. Moreover, nobody, including a cop, has any responsibility to get pummeled or throttled by an assailant. If you try to harm an armed man or woman, you might get shot. This is not cruelty. This is self-preservation, and it is just. Again, we don’t know that Brown showed any hostility at all. If he didn’t, then Officer Wilson should be charged and tried. But I’m disturbed by the amount of people who seem to believe that, even if Brown did attack, he didn’t “deserve” to get shot.
It’s not about what the assailants deserve. It’s about what the assailed deserve. And they deserve to protect themselves. IF Brown had already assaulted the officer and tried to steal his gun, and IF the officer pointed his gun at Brown and yelled at him to freeze, and IF Brown ignored that command and rushed towards the officer, , then of course the officer would be justified in using lethal force. What else would he do? Quickly put his gun away, grab a taser, and wait for the charging, gigantic individual to be close enough to hopefully subdue? That’s just not how it works, it’s not what any sane law enforcement officer would do, and it isn’t what you would do, either.
– There are eye witnesses. This is important, but it’s not as clear cut as some would like it to be.
Our primary witness is Dorian Johnson, Brown’s friend, and, as we later discovered, suspected accomplice in the robbery that occurred minutes earlier (more on that later). Even before looking at the autopsy report, we can already use rational thought to discern a few things about Johnson’s account: 1) Apart from the officer and Brown himself, Johnson had the best view of the whole ordeal. This makes his account very important. 2) He is going to be (understandably) biased. His friend was killed. Not only was his friend killed, but, according to some versions of the event, Johnson was also involved in the altercation with the cop. 3) He claims that Officer Wilson grabbed Brown by the throat from inside his cruiser. It’s incredible to think that Wilson would try to subdue a 6+ man in that fashion. It’s certainly unlike any police procedure I’ve ever heard of.
There is at least one detail in Johnson’s account that we now know to be inaccurate. Johnson claimed that . The private autopsy commission by Brown’s family shows that all of the bullets , and none hit him in the back. The county’s report .
Brown’s family says one of the wounds to the arm could still indicate that Brown was shot from behind. This is possible, I suppose, but it’s hardly the confirmation you’d expect after a week of being told that Brown was shot and killed while running away.
The other narrative is that Brown was shot with his hands up. The bullet wounds don’t shed any light on that, one way or another:
Another witnessthat Brown was shot from behind, but her story contradicts the , who can be heard recounting the event moments after it occurred. He seems to suggest that Brown turned and charged at Officer Wilson, and was shot in the process. “The next thing I know, he comes back towards them. The police had his guns drawn on him.”
Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable, even more so amidst a politically and ideologically fueled mass media frenzy.
– Michael Brown allegedly committed a “strong arm robbery” moments prior to his fatal encounter with police. Despite the near-unanimous consent of pundits and social media “experts,” .
You’ve probably heard people insist that “just because Brown stole some cigars doesn’t mean he should have been shot.” This is a classic example of a straw man argument. Nobody is saying that the revelation of Brown’s cigar-heist somehow makes this shooting justified. That is not the point. That’s not the argument.
The point is that Brown didn’t just “shoplift,” like many dishonest folks have claimed. He walked into a convenience store, brazenly grabbed merchandise from the counter, and then, when confronted, grabbed an old man by the shirt collar and pushed him to the side:
This isn’t some teenager sneaking a pack of gum into the pockets of his cargo shorts. This is a blatant act of completely unnecessary and unwarranted hostility. Grabbing a little old guy by the neck and shoving him aside? How can any honest person pretend that such an act doesn’t indicate a bit of a bully streak (to say the least)?
If Brown was willing to walk into a store and push an old man around for no reason it lends credibility to the notion that, perhaps, he might have picked a fight with a cop.
It doesn’t prove anything, but it does add another dimension to the situation. A dimension that no thinking person would ignore. I’d say his very recent history of vicious behavior is much more relevant than even the fact that Brown had
at the time of the incident.
I ask you this: what if Officer Wilson had pushed around a black teen earlier in the day? Actually, forget earlier in the day, what if video surfaced of him picking on a black kid a year or more before? Do you think all of these people crying “character assassination” would still be singing the same tune?
Of course not. Nor should they.
You don’t generally saunter into the one stop down the street, smack the clerk around just for the hell of it, and then carry on with your day being an otherwise gentle and affable fellow.
But what do I know?
I don’t know. You don’t know.
Maybe the officer is a cold blooded killer. Maybe he gunned down a teenager in the middle of the street, in broad daylight, while the innocent kid had his hands up and shouted “don’t shoot.” Maybe this cop decided to throw his entire life away because he was angry, or racist, or insane. That seems implausible, but then it seems implausible that anyone would come charging at a police officer while the officer is pointing a gun right at him. Both extreme ends of this scenario just sound unlikely, but not impossible.
So maybe the truth is in between. Maybe Brown attacked the cop and went for his gun, but then retreated, and maybe the cop panicked and started firing, and maybe Brown got angry and turned around and charged at him, and maybe he was shot and disabled, but the cop kept shooting. Or maybe the officer instigated the entire altercation. Or maybe the officer just asked him to get out of the street and Brown decided to be a tough guy. Or maybe none of these hypotheticals are true.
Maybe the Officer is a murderer, or maybe he’s a good man whose life is now ruined through no fault of his own. Or maybe he’s a good man but an incompetent police office who lost control and overreacted. Maybe Brown was a good man who was viciously gunned down in his prime. Or maybe he was a hostile bully who thought he could assault a cop and walk away unscathed. Or maybe he was a good man who sometimes did stupid things, and this whole situation just got out of control.
Maybe, I don’t know.
Are you confused yet?
I hope so, because that’s the point.
You don’t know, and even what you think you know you don’t really know.
And one day, when we do know, you can come back here and tell me that you always knew, and that I should have known.
I’m sure a lot of people will do just that.
But, then again, I don’t know.
Matt Walsh
Matt Walsh is a blogger, writer, and professional sayer of truths.
View articles by
Trending on The Matt Walsh BlogDid you relay any of your doubts to your mother?Jesus, no! I loved her. I never would have done that. Once I got through high school, that was it for me. When you see somebody like Jimmy Swaggart and he&s supposed to be this great minister touched by God, and he&s paying whores because he wants to look up their dresses, it&s just all hypocrisy.
All that said, you&ve made it clear over the years that you still believe in God.Yeah. I choose to believe in God because it makes things better. You have a meditation point, a source of strength. I don&t ask myself, &Well, does God exist or does God not exist?& I choose to believe that God exists, and therefore I can say, &God, I can&t do this by myself. Help me not to take a drink today. Help me not to take a drug today.& And that works fine for me.
Do you believe in the afterlife?I don&t know. I&m totally agnostic on that one. Let&s put it this way, I would like to believe that there is some sort of an afterlife. I do believe that when we&re in the process of dying, that all these emergency circuits in the brain take over. I base what I&m saying not on any empirical evidence. I think it&s very possible that when you&re dying, these circuits open up, which would explain this whole white-light phenomena – when people clinically die and they see their relatives and stuff and say, &Hello, it&s great to see you.&
Do you hope to go to heaven?I don&t want to go to the heaven that I learned about when I was a kid. To me, it seems boring. The idea that you&re going to lounge around on a cloud all day and listen to guys play harps? I don&t want to listen to harps. I want to listen to Jerry Lee Lewis!
Do you wish you had stronger beliefs? Would that give you comfort if you had more certainty?No, I think uncertainty is good for things. Certainty breeds complacency and complacency means that you just sit somewhere in your nice little comfortable suburban house in Michigan, looking at CNN and saying, &Oh, those poor immigrant children that are all coming across the border. But we really can&t have them here – that isn&t what God wants. Let&s send them all back to the drug cartels.& There&s a complacency to it.
How about evil? Do you believe there is such a thing?I believe in evil, but all my life I&ve gone back and forth about whether or not there&s an outside evil, whether or not there&s a force in the world that really wants to destroy us, from the inside out, individually and collectively. Or whether it all comes from inside and that it&s all part of genetics and environment. When you find somebody like, let&s say, Ted Bundy, who tortured and killed all those women and sometimes went back and had sex with the dead bodies, I don&t think when you look at his upbringing you can say, &Oh, that&s because Mommy put a clothespin on his dick when he was four.& That behavior was hard-wired. Evil is inside us. The older I get, the less I think there&s some sort of outsid it comes from people. And unless we&re able to address that issue, sooner or later, we&ll fucking kill ourselves.
Misery is a book about cocaine. Annie Wilkes is cocaine. She was my number-one fan.
What do you mean?I read a thing on Huffington Post about a month ago that stayed with me. It was very troubling. It was a pop-science thing, which is all I can understand. It said we&ve been listening to the stars for 50 years, looking for any signs of life, and there&s been nothing but silence. When you see what&s going on in the world today, and you have all this conflict, and our technological expertise has far outraced our ability to manage our own emotions – you see it right now with ISIS – what&s the solution? The only solution we see with ISIS is to bomb the shit out of those motherfuckers so that they just can&t roll over the world. And that&s what&s scary about that silence – maybe all intelligent races hit this level of violence and technological advances that they can&t get past. And then they just puff out. You hit the wall and that&s it.
So you think humanity&s destiny is to someday wipe itself out?I can&t see the future, but it&s grim. The depletion of resources – we&re living in this dine-and-dash economy. I love the Republicans, too. Whenever it comes to money – the national debt, for instance – they yell their heads off about &What about our grandchildren?& But when it comes to the environment, when it comes to resources, they&re like, &We&ll be OK for 40 years.&
I want to talk about writing now. Walk me through your typical day when you&re working on a book.I wake up. I eat breakfast. I walk about three and a half miles. I come back, I go out to my little office, where I&ve got a manuscript, and the last page that I was happy with is on top. I read that, and it&s like getting on a taxiway. I&m able to go through and revise it and put myself – click – back into that world, whatever it is. I don&t spend the day writing. I&ll maybe write fresh copy for two hours, and then I&ll go back and revise some of it and print what I like and then turn it off.
Do you do that every day?Every day, even weekends. I used to write more and I used to write faster – it&s just aging. It slows you down a little bit.
Is writing an addiction for you?Yeah. Sure. I love it. And it&s one of the few things where I do it less now and get as much out of it. Usually with dope and booze, you do it more and get less out of it as time goes by. It&s still really good, but it&s addictive, obsessive-compulsive behavior. So I&ll write every day for maybe six months and get a draft of something – and then I make myself stop completely for 10 days or 12 days in order to let everything settle. But during that time off, I drive my wife crazy. She says, &Get out of my way, get out of the house, go do something – paint a birdhouse, anything!&
So I watch TV, I play my guitar and put in time, and then when I go to bed at night, I have all these crazy dreams, usually not very pleasant ones because whatever machinery that you have that goes into writing stories, it doesn&t want to stop. So if it&s not going on the page, it has to go somewhere, and I have these mind dreams. They&re always dreams that focus on some kind of shame or insecurity. 
Stephen King, 1967
Courtesy King Family
Like what?The one that recurs is that I&m going to be in a play, and I get to the theater and it&s opening night and not only can I not find my costume, but I realize that I have never learned the lines.
How do you interpret that?It&s just insecurity – fear of failure, fear of falling short.
You still fear failure after all these years of success?Sure. I&m afraid of all kinds of things. I&m afraid of failing at whatever story I&m writing – that it won&t come up for me, or that I won&t be able to finish it.
Do you think your imagination is more active than most people&s?I don&t know, man. It&s more trained. It hurts to imagine stuff. It can give you a headache. Probably doesn&t hurt physically, but it hurts mentally. But the more that you can do it, the more you&re able to get out of it. Everybody has that capacity, but I don&t think everyone develops it.
Fair enough, but not many people can do what you do.I can remember as a college student writing stories and novels, some of which ended up getting published and some that didn&t. It was like my head was going to burst – there were so many things I wanted to write all at once. I had so many ideas, jammed up. It was like they just needed permission to come out. I had this huge aquifer underneath of stories that I wanted to tell and I stuck a pipe down in there and everything just gushed out. There&s still a lot of it, but there&s not as much now.
When did you first get the idea for Revival?I&ve had it since I was a kid, really. I read this story called The Great God Pan in high school, and there were these two characters waiting to see if this woman could come back from the dead and tell them what was over there. It just creeped me out. The more I thought about it, the more I thought about this Mary Shelley-Frankenstein thing.
How long did it take you to write it?I started it in Maine and finished it in Florida. An actual book takes at least a year. A first draft can be rough, and then you polish it, take out the bad stuff. Elmore Leonard – someone asked him, &How do you write a book someone wants to read?& And he said, &You leave out the boring shit.&
Do you put some of yourself into the character of Jamie?Yeah, sure. Jamie is a guy who gets addicted to drugs after a motorcycle accident, and I&ve had a drug problem ever since, man, I don&t know. I guess I&ve had a drug problem since college.
You had a major drinking problem, too. When did that become an issue?I started drinking by age 18. I realized I had a problem around the time that Maine became the first state in the nation to pass a returnable-bottle-and-can law. You could no longer just toss the shit away, you saved it, and you turned it in to a recycling center. And nobody in the house drank but me. My wife would have a glass of wine and that was all. So I went in the garage one night, and the trash can that was set aside for beer cans was full to the top.
It had been empty the week before. I was drinking, like, a case of beer a night. And I thought, &I&m an alcoholic.& That was probably about &78, &79. I thought, &I&ve gotta be really careful, because if somebody says, ‘You&re drinking too much, you have to quit,& I won&t be able to.&
Were you buzzed when you wrote in the morning back then?Not really. I didn&t drink in the days. Sometimes if I had, like, two things going – which I did a lot, sometimes I still do – I would work at night. And if I was working at night, I was looped. But I never wrote original stuff at night, I just rewrote. It turned out all right.
At what point did hard drugs enter the picture?It was probably about &78, around the same time that I realized that I was out of control with drinking. Well, I thought I was in control, but in reality I wasn&t.
That was cocaine?Yeah, coke. I was a heavy user from 1978 until 1986, something like that.
Did you write on coke?Oh, yeah, I had to. I mean, coke was different from booze. Booze, I could wait, and I didn&t drink or anything. But I used coke all the time.
You had three young kids at the time. It must have been very stressful to keep this huge secret while balancing all your responsibilities.I don&t remember.
Really?No. That whole time is pretty hazy to me. I just didn&t use it around people. And I wasn&t a social drinker. I used to say that I didn&t want to go to bars because they were full of assholes like me. 
The King Family
Baerbel Schmidt/NYTimes/Redux
I&m trying to comprehend how you lived this whole secret life of a drug addict for eight years, all the while churning out bestsellers and being a family man.Well, I can&t comprehend it now, either, but you do what you have to do. And when you&re an addict, you have to use. So you just try to balance things out as best you can. But little by little, the family life started to show cracks.
I was usually pretty good about it. I was able to get up and make the kids breakfast and get them off to school. And I I had a lot of energy. I would&ve killed myself otherwise. But the books start to show it after a while. Misery is a book about cocaine. Annie Wilkes is cocaine. She was my number-one fan.
Did the quality of your writing start to go down?Yeah, it did. I mean, The Tommyknockers is an awful book. That was the last one I wrote before I cleaned up my act. And I&ve thought about it a lot lately and said to myself, &There&s really a good book in here, underneath all the sort of spurious energy that cocaine provides, and I ought to go back.& The book is about 700 pages long, and I&m thinking, &There&s probably a good 350-page novel in there.&
Is The Tommyknockers the one book in your catalog you think you botched?Well, I don&t like Dreamcatcher very much. Dreamcatcher was written after the accident. [In 1999, King was hit by a van while taking a walk and left severely injured.] I was using a lot of Oxycontin for pain. And I couldn&t work on a computer back then because it hurt too much to sit in that position. So I wrote the whole thing longhand. And I was pretty stoned when I wrote it, because of the Oxy, and that&s another book that shows the drugs at work.
If you had to pick your best book, what would it be?Lisey&s Story. That one felt like an important book to me because it was about marriage, and I&d never written about that. I wanted to talk about two things: One is the secret world that people build inside a marriage, and the other was that even in that intimate world, there&s still things that we don&t know about each other.
Are you done writing Dark Tower books?I&m never done with The Dark Tower. The thing about The Dark Tower is that those books were never edited, so I look at them as first drafts. And by the time I got to the fifth or sixth book, I&m thinking to myself, &This is really all one novel.& It drives me crazy. The thing is to try to find the time to rewrite them. There&s a missing element – a big battle at a place called Jericho Hill. And that whole thing should be written, and I&ve thought about it several times, and I don&t know how to get into it.
You&ve made a fortune over the years. A lot of people would be living it up, buying houses in Hawaii and the South of France and filling them with Picassos. That&s obviously not your thing, so what does your money do for you?I like to have money to buy books and go to movies and buy music and stuff. To me, the greatest thing in the world is downloading TV shows on iTunes because there are no commercials, and yet if I were a working stiff, I could never afford to do this. But I don&t even think about money. I have two amazing things in my life: I&m pain-free and I&m debt-free. Money means I can support my family and still do what I love. Not very many people can say that in this world, and not many writers can say that. I&m not a clothes person. I&m not a boat person. We do have a house in Florida. But we live in Maine, for Christ&s sake. It&s not like a trendy community or anything. We have the houses and stuff. My wife likes all that. But I&m not very interested in stuff. I like cars, because I grew up in the country and a car was important. So we&ve got more cars than we need, but that&s our biggest extravagance.
When you look at these hedge-fund guys just living like kings . . .Totally foreign to me. I saw The Wolf of Wall Street, and it looked to me like this guy was living this sort of exhausting lifestyle. Money for the sake of money doesn&t interest me. There&s a lot of it, and we give a lot of it away.
I&ve read that you make large charitable donations, but you almost never hear about where it goes.We were raised firmly to believe that if you give away money and you make a big deal of it so that everybody sees it, that&s hubris. You do it for yourself, and you&re not supposed to make a big deal about it. We have publicly acknowledged certain contributions, but the idea behind that is to say to other people, &This is the example we&re trying to make, so we wish that you would do the same thing.&
So if you give away $1 million to Eastern Maine General Hospital here, you&re doing it because you&re hoping that somebody else will chip in. I&m not averse to using whatever celebrity that I have. I&m going to do a TV ad for the Democratic candidate Shenna Bellows this afternoon. She&s running against Susan Collins for Senate. And I don&t know how much goodwill I have in the state, but I think it&s a fair amount, so maybe the ad will make a difference.
Do you worry that being too political will turn off some of your readers?It happens all the time. I wrote an e-book after the thing in Newtown, Connecticut, when that guy shot all those kids. I got a lot of letters, somebody saying, &Asshole! I&ll never read another one of your goddamn books.& So what? If you&re to a point where you can&t separate the entertainment from the politics, who needs you? Jesus Christ.
I never really cared for Tom Clancy&s books, but it wasn&t because he was a Republican guy. It was because I didn&t think he could write. There&s another guy that I sense is probably a fairly right-wing writer. His name is Stephen Hunter. And I love his books. I don&t think he likes mine.
Your father walked out when you were two. How much did his absence shape your life?I don&t know. I don&t live an examined life, but I can remember when Tabby and I got married, back in &71. I can remember laying in bed with her and turning over and saying, &We ought to get married.& And she said, &Let me think about it overnight.& 
in 1952, 3 years after his father walked out on his family.
Courtesy of King Family
And in the morning, she said, &Yeah, we should get married.& We had nothing. I mean, I was working at a gas station. I was pumping gas. And then when I graduated from school, she was still in school. Then when I got a job working at a wet-wash laundry because I couldn&t get a teaching job, we had jack shit for money. She was working in a Dunkin& Donuts when I finally got a teaching job. We didn&t have a phone in the house, and we had two babies. Don&t ask me why we did that. I can&t remember what the mindset was there.
Looking back, would you do it all over again?We must have been fucking crazy, but I love those kids, and I&m glad we did it. She would go to work at Dunkin& Donuts. She looked cute in the little pink uniform. God, she was so good-looking. She&s still good-looking to me, but oh, my God. And there was something sexy about all that pink nylon.
She would bring home the empty buckets of filling from the doughnuts, and we used them as diaper pails. So I would teach school, come home, she&d work at Dunkin& Donuts. I would baby-sit the kids and give them the bottles and change them and everything until she came home at 11:00. And then we&d go to bed. And I&m thinking to myself, &I&m not going to leave this marriage no matter what happens.&
Your dad died in 1980. Were you ever tempted to meet him, if only to hear his side of the story?No. I was curious when I was a kid. I used to think, &I&d like to find him and knock his fucking head off.& And then later on, I thought to myself, &I&d like to find him and hear his side of the story and then knock his fucking head off.& Because there&s no excuse for it. It wasn&t just that he walked out and left us – he left her holding a whole bunch of bills, which she worked to pay off.
What stopped you?I was too busy. I was trying to carve out a career as a writer. And when I was teaching school, I would teach and come home and try to steal a couple of hours to write. To tell you the truth, man, I never thought about it that much.
Did you see that new documentary &Room 237& about obsessive fans of Stanley Kubrick&s The Shining?Yeah. Well, let me put it this way – I watched about half of it and got sort of impatient with it and turned it off.
Why?These guys were reaching. I&ve never had much patience for academic bullshit. It&s like Dylan says, &You give people a lot of knives and forks, they&ve gotta cut something.& And that was what was going on in that movie.
You&ve been extremely critical of Kubrick&s film over the years. Is it possible he made a great movie that just so happens to be a horrible adaptation of your book?No. I never saw it that way at all. And I never see any of the movies that way. The movies have never been a big deal to me. The movies are the movies. They just make them. If they&re good, that&s terrific. If they&re not, they&re not. But I see them as a lesser medium than fiction, than literature, and a more ephemeral medium.
Are you mystified by the cult that&s grown around Kubrick&s Shining?I don&t get it. But there are a lot of things that I don&t get. But obviously people absolutely love it, and they don&t understand why I don&t. The book is hot, a the book ends in fire, and the movie in ice. In the book, there&s an actual arc where you see this guy, Jack Torrance, trying to be good, and little by little he moves over to this place where he&s crazy. And as far as I was concerned, when I saw the movie, Jack was crazy from the first scene. I had to keep my mouth shut at the time. It was a screening, and Nicholson was there. But I&m thinking to myself the minute he&s on the screen, &Oh, I know this guy. I&ve seen him in five motorcycle movies, where Jack Nicholson played the same part.& And it&s so misogynistic. I mean, Wendy Torrance is just presented as this sort of screaming dishrag. But that&s just me, that&s the way I am.
What&s the best movie ever made from one of your books?Probably Stand by Me. I thought it was true to the book, and because it had the emotional gradient of the story. It was moving. I think I scared the shit out of Rob Reiner. He showed it to me in the screening room at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I was out there for something else, and he said, &Can I come over and show you this movie?& And you have to remember that the movie was made on a shoestring. It was supposed to be one of those things that opened in six theaters and then maybe disappeared. And instead it went viral. When the movie was over, I hugged him because I was moved to tears, because it was so autobiographical.
But Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile are all really great ones. Misery is a great film. Delores Claiborne is a really, really good film. Cujo is terrific.
What do you make of this surge in sales for young-adult books? There&s a whole school of critics that say too many adults are reading them.It&s just crazy. I read all of the Harry Potter books, and I really liked &em. I don&t approach any books in terms of genre saying that &This is young adult,& or &This is a romance,& or science fiction, or whatever. You read them because you read them. Someone asked me recently, &Have you ever considered writing a book for young people? You know, a YA novel?& And I said, &All of them.& Because I don&t see that genre thing.
Do you think you have fewer young readers than you had back in the first few decades of your career?Yes, that&s probably true. I&m seen as somebody who writes for adults because I&m an older man myself. Some of them find me, and a lot of them don&t. But I came along at a fortunate time, in that I was a paperback success before I was a hardcover success. That&s because paperbacks were cheap, so a lot of readers that I had were younger people. Paperbacks were what they could afford. You do say to yourself, &Well, are the younger readers coming along in terms of the e-books, the Kindles and all that stuff?& And the answer is, some of them are, but a lot of them probably aren&t.
Does that bother you?Well, I have a drive to succeed. I have a drive to want to please people, as many people as possible. But that ends at a certain point where you say, &I&m not going to sell out and write this one particular kind of thing.& I had a real argument with myself about Mr. Mercedes, which is basically a straight suspense novel.
I had to sit down and have a discussion with myself and say, &Do you want to do what your heart is telling you you should do, or do you want to do what people expect? Because if you only want to write what people expect, what the fuck did you do all this for? Why don&t you write what you want to write?&
Do you worry about the death of print?I think books are going to be around, but it&s crazy what happened. They&re worried in the publishing industry about bookstores disappearing. Barnes & Noble creating the Nook was like V they should have left that alone because Amazon got there first with the Kindle. The death of the music business was insane, but audio recordings have been around now for maybe 120 years. Books have been around for, what, nine centuries? So they&re more entrenched than music.
Speaking of Harry Potter, you&ve become friendly with J.K. Rowling, right?Yeah. We did a charity event at Radio City Music Hall a few years back. She was working on the last of the Harry Potter books. Her publicist and her editor called her over, and they talked for about 10 minutes. And when she came back to me, she was steaming. Fucking furious. And she said, &They don&t understand what we do, do they? They don&t fucking understand what we do.& And I said, &No, they don&t. None of them do.& And that&s what my life is like right now.
What do you mean?When someone says, &What are you working on?& I&ll say, &I&ve got this wonderful story about these two families on two sides of a lake that end up having this arms race with fireworks,& but I&m doing this event, and then I&ve got the political ad and all this other crap. So you have to be stern about it and say, &I&m not going to do this other stuff, because you&ve got to make room for me to write.& Nobody really understands what the job is. They want the books, but they don&t, in a way, take it seriously.
You mentioned watching a lot of TV. What&s the best show of the past 15 years?Breaking Bad. I knew it was great from the first scene you see him wearing jockey shorts. I thought it was amazingly brave since they look so geeky.
Do you think if you had been born at a later time you would have wanted to work as a TV showrunner?No. Too much time for too little payoff. I don&t mean in terms of money. Also, showrunning is a thing where you have to work with tons of different people. You have to schmooze people, you have to talk to network people. I don&t want to do any of that.
It&s interesting that mainstream movies are worse than ever, but TV just gets better and better.Yeah. I mean, we aren&t talking about shows like NCIS and CSI that basically show one story over and over. I&m not even talking about Mad Men, which I don&t like. But Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, The Bridge, The Americans. Those things are so textured and so involving that they make movies look like short stories. I was watching a show 12 years ago called The Shield. And in the first episode, Michael Chiklis, who played the protagonist, turns around and kills a fellow cop. And I thought to myself, &TV just underwent this seismic change.& That show was the most important show on television. Breaking Bad is better, but The Shield changed everything.
Let&s talk about music. Revival is about a rock guitarist. Do you think that could have been your path if you had a little more natural musical talent?Sure! I love music, and I can play a little. But anyone can see the difference between someone who&s talented and someone that&s not. The main character in Revival, Jamie, just has natural talent. What he can do on the guitar, I can do when I write. It just pours out. Nobody taught me. In Revival, I took what I know about how it feels to write and applied it to music.
What&s the best concert you ever saw?Springsteen. I went to see him at the Ice Arena in Lewiston, Maine, in 1977. He played for about four hours. It was fantastic. There&s so much energy, so much generosity in the show, and so much real life in the music. He was totally athletic, and he&d jump into the crowd, lay on his back and spin around. He was a great showman.
Do you respect him as a storyteller?I respect him as a songwriter and the insight in his songs. My favorite album of his is Nebraska. I knew from the beginning of &Atlantic City& that it was amazing. He had really grown as a songwriter. He&s done stuff in music that nobody else has done. That line in &The River,& &Now I just act like I don&t remember, and Mary acts like she don&t care.& Let&s put it this way, it&s a long way from &Palisades Park& by Freddy Cannon.
I feel like you and Bruce would both be doing what you&re doing, even if you weren&t paid for it.Yeah, I think it&s fair. And it&d be fair to say that we were both self-taught with a lot of ambition, a lot of drive to succeed, because I have that in me too. I have this one thing that I can do, and that&s something Bruce expresses in a lot of his music.
Do you think President Obama is doing a good job?Under the circumstances, he&s been terrific. Look at how much improvement there&s been with the job situation. But it&s human nature to care about unresolved issues. And so this business with ISIS, or people breaking into the White House, this becomes, for some reason, Obama&s fault somehow.
Do you think Obama is right to go after ISIS like this?If they&re as bad as the press says. I mean, they&re cutting off heads in public and blowing up shit – something&s got to be done to those guys. That&s my feeling anyway, and I&m a pacifist. It&s depressing &cause it&s like 1984 all over again: constant war – it&s never going to end.
Why do you think the country is so divided?It doesn&t have anything to do with Obama. There&s a fundamental discussion going on in America right now about whether or not we&re going to continue to protect individual freedoms or whether we&re going to give some of them up. And the discussion has become extremely acrimonious.
In the wake of 9/11, we&re searched invasively at airports. There are CCTV cameras everywhere. There&s a whole bunch of people who say that America is for the individual and that we&re all the gunslingers of our own house. Basically, there&s a whole side of the country that&s fearful. They&re fearful that if same-sex marriage becomes legal, then God knows what will happen – all at once, all of our kids will be gay and America&s way of life will die out. They&re afraid that immigrants are going to swamp the economy. And on the other side, there are all of those people who say, &Maybe there&s a way to embrace these things, and maybe we need to give up our right that anybody can buy a gun.& They&re basic arguments.
Do you think much about what your legacy will be?No, not very much. For one, it&s out of my control. Only two things happen to writers when they die: Either their work survives, or it becomes forgotten. Someone will turn up an old box and say, &Who&s this guy Irving Wallace?& There&s no rhyme or reason to it. Ask kids in high school, &Who is Somerset Maugham?& They&re not going to know. He wrote books that were bestsellers in their time. But he&s well-forgotten now, whereas Agatha Christie has never been more popular. She just goes from one generation to another. She&s not as good a writer as Maugham, and she certainly didn&t try to do anything other than entertain people. So I don&t know what will happen.
You&ve threatened to retire a few times, but you&ve obviously never gone through with it. Do you see yourself doing this into your eighties and maybe even beyond?Yeah. What else am I going to do? I mean, shit, you&ve got to do something to fill up your day. And I can only play so much guitar and watch so many TV shows. It fulfills me. There are two things about it I like: It makes me happy, and it makes other people happy.
Don’t Miss a Story
We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our
How we use your email address
Ranked on a scale from 1 to 10, the trending score reflects the number of users reading a story in real time.
What is this?

我要回帖

更多关于 man that you fear 的文章

随机推荐