2011年12月。英语。2011四级考试时间。考前+考...

2011年12月大学英语四级考前预测作文04 - 中华考试网()
&&当前位置: >
> 文章内容
2011年12月大学英语四级考前预测作文04中华考试网()&&【
】&&[ 日 ]
  Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write A Brief Introduction to the University. You should write at least 120 words according to the following guidelines:  假设你是一名学生志愿者,要给来你们学校参观的外国朋友介绍学校情况。内容应包括学校历史、规模、教学现状以及未来目标等。  A Brief Introduction to the University  Distinguished guests,  Welcome to our university. Before you start to look around, allow me to give you a brief account of the school.  Founded in 1927, our university is one of this city’s earliest universities of liberal arts. It is staffed with an excellent faculty, and has a total enrollment of over 10,000 students. In the past years, it has turned out numerous well-qualified students and found its graduates active in professions of all walks of life.  Since its establishment, the university has always steered itself toward the objective that its students have an overall healthy development. Not only does it provide the students with basic academic courses, but it manages to expose them to the up-to-date knowledge. Besides, students are free to participate in colorful campus activities and social practice, which are intended for broadening their mind and developing their potential talent.  Currently, both our faculty and students are making every effort to improve the quality of our education in the direction of a first-rate university. Thank you.  点评:近几年,随着我国顺利加入世贸组织以及经济全球化步伐的加快,许多国内高校纷纷与国外大学合作办学,教育走向国际化成为人们关注的热点,也是大学生门比较关心的热点问题。本预测题为热议校园生活话题,与2004年旅游景点介绍2006年考查的名校校园开放如出一辙。
  听力基础不太扎实,需要大量训练的4级(CET-4)考生;因听力词汇不够,听不懂文..
定价:¥25.80
优惠价:¥19.40&&很多书对于题目的讲解有很大的随意性。不少学生反映“你会的地方,它讲得很多;你不..
定价:¥23.90
优惠价:¥20.40&&
         Copyright ©
() All Rights Reserved考试吧:2011年12月英语四级真题答案解析
来源:  17:12:28 【】 
:2011年12月英语四级真题答案解析。
  【真题】
  【点评】
  【下载】
  【估分】
  2011年12月大学英语四级考试
  Listening Comprehension短对话
  Section A
  W: This crazy bus schedule has got me completely confused. I can’t figure out when my bus to Cleveland leaves?
  M: Why don’t you just go to the ticket window and ask?
  Q: What does the man suggest the woman do?
  【答案】B) Go and ask the staff.
  【解析】这是一道事实细节题。从对话中可知,女士搞不清楚列车时刻表,男士建议她去售票窗口咨询。ticket window售票窗口。
  W: I really enjoyed the TV special about drafts last night. Did you get home in time to see it?
  W: Oh, yes, but I wish I could have stayed awake long enough to see the whole thing.
  Q: What does the man mean?
  【答案】A) He fell asleep in the middle of the TV program.
  【解析】这是道推理判断题,考查男士的言下之意以及虚拟语气。could have done意为本可以做某事,但未做。从对话中可知,男士确实回家看了电视节目,但是他说道:I wish I could have stayed awake long enough to see the whole thing. 我真希望自己当时能再晚点睡着,这样我就可以看完整场节目了。说明他没有看完整场节目就睡着了。
  W: Airport, please. I’m running a little late. So just take the fastest way even if it’s not the most direct.
  M: Sure, but there is a lot of traffic everywhere today because of the football game.
  Q: What do we learn about the woman from the conversation?
  【答案】B) She is worried about missing her flight.
  【解析】这是道场景题,略有难度。刚开始,我们还无法很快判断出该对话发生的场景,很多同学一听到airport可能会误以为对话发生在机场,但如果我们继续听下去,就会发现,该对话应该发生在出租车上,因为女士说了句“请选择最快的路”,而男士说“因为有球赛,所以到处都交通拥堵”可以帮助我们再次确认对话发生的场景。选项A不对,原文是说要挑the fastest way哪怕不是选项C也不准确,才刚上车,并没有拥堵,司机只是提前说明因为球赛会碰到拥堵;选项D错误,女士是为了赶去乘飞机的,而不是去看球赛。
  W: May I make a recommendation, sir? Our seafood with this special sauce is very good.
  M: Thank you, but I don’t eat shellfish. I’m allergic to it.
  Q: Where does this conversation most probably take place?
  【答案】A) In a restaurant
  【解析】这是道场景题,较为简单。从对话中可知,女士希望向男士推荐一道菜,从首句中即可推断出该对话最有可能发生在餐馆中,男士说,他过敏,不吃贝壳类海鲜,可以帮助我们再次确认对话发生的场景。
  W: Now one more question if you don’t mind, what position in the company appeals to you most?
  M: Well, I’d like the position of sales manager if that position is still vacant.
  Q: What do we learn about the man?
  【答案】A) He is being interviewed for a job.
  【解析】这是较为简单的细节推理题。 从position, company这几个关键词中,我们就可以快速判断出此题的场景为面试,因此男士应该正在接受一场面试。 C选项错误,他想要销售经理的职位,但并不表示他本身就是销售经理。
  M: I don’t think I want to live in the dormitory next year. I need more privacy.
  W: I know what you mean. But check out the cost if renting an apartment first. I won’t be surprised if you change your mind.
  Q: What does the woman imply?
  【答案】B) The man is unlikely to move out of the dormitory.
  【解析】这是推理判断题,询问女士的言下之意。最后一句,女士表示“你改变主意的话,我不会觉得奇怪”,可知,男士不太可能搬出宿舍。A选项是个干扰项,虽然该选项看上去意思和B选项差不多,但对话中并没有提到男士想找一个更安静的地方,他想搬离寝室,是为了更多的个人空间。
  M: You’re on the right track. I just think you need to narrow the topic down.
  W: Yeah, you’re right. I always start by choosing two boarder topics when I’m doing a research paper.
  Q: What do we learn from the conversation?
  【答案】D) The woman is going to make her topic more focused.
  【解析】这是推理判断题。从对话中可知,男士希望女士缩小主题的范围,女士回答“你是对的。”说明女士会采纳男士的建议,缩小主题。
  W: This picnic should beat the last one we went to, doesn’t it?
  M: Oh, yeah, we had to spend the whole time inside. Good thing, the weather was cooperative this time.
  Q: What do we learn about the speakers from the conversation?
  【答案】B) They didn’t quite enjoy their last picnic.
  【解析】这是推理判断题。beat一词是个难点,beat本意有“打败”的意思,这次的野餐打败了上次,即这次比上次好,下文中,男士说“上次我们不得不呆在室内,但这次天气不错。”可以再次确认他们不喜欢上次的野餐,因此,正确答案为B。
文章责编:zhangyuqiong& 看了本文的网友还看了
?&&( 8:17:10)?&&( 15:23:26)?&&( 11:04:35)?&&( 15:02:28)?&&( 9:07:20)?&&( 10:25:38)
?智能练习?智能评估
扫描二维码下载
在线名师:  
数学学士学位,2010级长江商学院MBA。2004年加入北京新东方学校...[]
在线名师:  
北京师范大学英语语言文学硕士,有着丰富的教学经验,主讲四六级...[]
在线名师:  
北京新东方学校国内考试部资深教师。中国传媒大学英语播音暨主持...[]
在线名师:  
赵 丽:新东方人称"词汇王","GMAT一姐"网络课堂:四六级词汇...[]
? ?   ? ?   ? ?   ? ?   ? ?
? ?   ? ?   ?
?   ? ?    ? ?   ? ?   ? ?   ? ?
? ?   ? ?
实用工具 |
| 大全 | 大全
     |
版权声明:如果网所转载内容不慎侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们将会及时处理。如转载本内容,请注明出处。
Copyright & 2004- 网 All Rights Reserved 中国科学院研究生院权威支持(北京) 电 话:010- 传 真:010-名师在线讲座
最新 [] []
最新 [] []
最新 [] []
最新 [] []
最新 [] []
资料 [][][][][][][][]
英语四级考试:日英语六级考试:日
英语四级词汇
英语四级写作
英语四级听力
英语四级阅读
英语四级完形填空
英语四级翻译
英语四级词汇
英语四级语法
英语四级写作
英语四级听力
英语四级阅读
英语四级完形填空/翻译
旗下成员公司 全国客服专线:400-676-2300 上海客服专线:021- 购卡咨询(上海):021-
Copyright (C)
Inc. All rights reserved. 新东方在线 版权所有
京公安备110-10819402011年12月英语四级考试词汇语法考前练习题汇总
2011年12月英语四级考试词汇语法考前练习题汇总
  相关推荐:||
  ||||
( 21635人 已观看 )
( 35628人 已观看 )
( 19542人 已观看 )
本文关键词:     
已有(0)条评论
3秒钟快速注册
文明上网,登录发帖
精选内容新闻排行校园热点
各地课程推荐深圳广州上海北京南京杭州苏州天津常年开课详询&&&&福田区常年开课详询&&&&福田区常年开课详询&&&&福田区常年开课详询&&&&福田区更多&&&常年开课¥500&&&&越秀区常年开课¥2000&&&&天河区常年开课¥1130&&&&越秀区常年开课详询&&&&天河区更多&&&常年开课¥1280&&&&浦东区常年开课¥1280&&&&浦东区常年开课¥1280&&&&长宁区常年开课¥1280&&&&黄浦区更多&&&常年开课¥1500&&&&海淀区常年开课¥9500&&&&朝阳区常年开课¥220&&&&海淀区常年开课¥750&&&&海淀区更多&&&常年开课¥980&&&&江宁区常年开课¥980&&&&玄武区常年开课¥980&&&&白下区常年开课详询&&&&更多&&&常年开课详询&&&&下城区常年开课详询&&&&拱墅区常年开课详询&&&&拱墅区常年开课详询&&&&拱墅区更多&&&常年开课详询&&&&平江区常年开课¥880&&&&沧浪区常年开课详询&&&&高新区常年开课详询&&&&工业园区更多&&&常年开课详询&&&&河西区常年开课详询&&&&河西区常年开课详询&&&&河西区常年开课详询&&&&河西区更多&&&
3-153-153-153-153-153-15
3-153-153-153-153-153-15英语四级考试培训网
当前位置:&>&&>&&>&
电话:010-  
2011年12月英语四六级考试阅读专项习题及答案(5)
英语四六级代报名直拨电话:010-
The Look Younger Diet
Is the Fountain of Youth a myth? Not entirely, many experts in nutrition now believe, &Age fast, or age slow&it&s up to you. & declares Dr. Kenneth Cooper, president and founder of the Aerobics Center in Dallas. Jeffrey Blumberg, associate director of the U. S. Department of Agriculture&s Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston, agrees, & Research shows that many so-called age-related declines in physiological function seem to have less to do with aging than with environmental factors like diet and exercise. &
Obesity (过度肥胖 ) is one of the leading causes of accelerated aging, according to Cooper, &If you lose weight, stop smoking, and exercise,& he says, &you can slow the aging process&and make dramatic changes in your looks in a relatively short period of time. &
A 37-year-old sales director for a Boston computer-distribution company is a prime example. Over six feet tall, he had been considerably overweight most of his like. Then he began to worry that his appearance could be hurting his career. &I got tired of people thinking I was the same age as my brother, who&s nearly nine years older,& he says, &When you&re fat, people in the business world assume you&re out of control. &
Determined to change, the sales director entered a hospital-based diet program and dropped over 70 pounds. &I feel&and look&ten years younger. & he says.
At 82, Clarice R. Mc Williams, a retired business owner in Dallas, has the appearance, skin tone (肤色) and mental agility of someone many years younger. &Most people think I&m in my 60s. & she boasts.
Mc Williams admits genes play some role in the way she looks, but believes diet is an important factor. &It doesn&t matter how good the genes are if you don&t eat properly and take care of yourself,& she says. &If you want to look good, get plenty of rest, exercise every day, eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables&and quit worrying. &
Says Blumberg, &There&s certainly a link between good nutrition, a positive & 30 &
attitude and improved quality of life. People can have a say in what&s going on with their bodies by selecting a healthful diet. &
Skin. Nowhere do the signs of aging manifest themselves more clearly than in the condition of the skin. When your weight fluctuates, the skin stretches with each up cycle, but it may not completely shrink back to its original size in the down cycle. As a result, the skin may sag(松弛下垂)。
A severely deficient diet can lead to skin disorders, dramatically affecting one&s appearance. By the same token, a well-balanced diet with ample supplies of nutrients is thought by many experts to produce a glowing, younger look.
Zinc and vitamin A are important for normal, healthy skin. Zinc helps the skin repair itself, and vitamin A aids in keeping skin supple, preventing dryness and helping shed dead cells. Good sources of zinc are beef, eggs and seafood, while many dark-green leafy vegetables are rich in beta carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A. Other foods containing ample amounts of beta carotene include carrots, cantaloupe, winter squash, sweet potatoes, sweet red peppers, apricots and mangoes.
Vitamin C helps improve the blood supply to the skin and aids in forming collagen(胶原) , the fibrous protein that lies beneath the skin&s surface and gives it a smooth appearance. Good sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits and juices, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, snow peas, red and green peppers, broccoli, white and sweet potatoes, tomatoes, watermelon, honeydew melon and cantaloupe.
Greens are excellent sources of skin-preserving nutrients and, generally, the darker the leaves, the more nutritious. Romaine lettuce, for example has about six times as much vitamin C and eight times as much beta carotene as iceberg lettuce.
How food is prepared matters too. The longer vegetables cook, the greater the loss of vitamins and texture. Don&t soak vegetables when washing them, since water-soluble vitamins such as C will be lost.
Blumberg also recommends drinking six to eight glasses of water or other fluids each day to help keep skin and other tissues hydrated. &That&s especially important for older people,& he says, &who are at risk for dehydration because their thirst drive becomes blunted with age. & Coffee, colas and tea aren&t the best sources, since they contain caffeine, a diuretic that induces water loss.
Hair. Healthy, shining hair is second only to vibrant skin for making one look younger. Yet many people unwittingly mistreat their hair by eating an unbalanced diet.
When a 33-year-old employee at a Texas corporation decided to lose weight quickly, she went on a fad diet, high in fiber and bulk, but low in protein. Over three months, she lost a lot of weight. She also lost a good deal of her hair.
Dermatologist (皮肤病学家) David Alkek, a clinical professor at the University of Texas Southwest Medical Center at Dallas, sees too many cases like this woman&s. When diets don&t contain enough amino acids, the building blocks of protein, there&s dramatic increase in hair loss as the body breaks down its own protein.
Hair and skin cells are constantly reproducing and are, therefore, very sensitive to nutritional deficiencies, explains Dr. Alkek. Foods high in amino acids include meats, eggs, milk, grains and legumes. Just remember that the body cannot store protein. So foods high in protein must be ingested daily. Under Alkek&s care, the woman began eating nutritionally balanced meals, and her hair was restored in about eight months.
Immune system. Vitamins E and C and beta carotene, known as antioxidants (抗氧化剂 ) , are considered powerful disease-fighters, capable of slowing down or preventing a number of ailments typically associated with aging.
A growing body of evidence suggests that aging and decline in immune function may result in part from accumulated damage to cells caused by certain toxic compounds called free radicals (自由基)。 Antioxidants seem to counteract or impair the ability of these substances to attack healthy cells, thus avoiding at least some of the damage. Foods containing these nutrients are being linked&by science rather than myth&to the control and prevention of heart disease and cancer, stroke, cataracts and to the body&s ability to ward off infectious diseases.
Good general nutrition is essential to maintaining a healthy, youthful appearance. And the key to good general nutrition is balance. Proteins should make up roughly ten percent of your
no more than 30 percent s and the remaining calories should come mostly from complex carbohydrates.
1. The passage primarily tells us how to lose weight so as to improve one&s appearance.
2. Dark-green leafy vegetables are good sources of beta carotene.
3. When one gains weight, the skin becomes loose.
4. It is particularly important for the old to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water to help keep skin and other tissues hydrated.
5. Food low in protein is harmful to hair.
6. Free radicals play an important role in immune function.
7. In order to look younger, one should cut back on fats.
8. Amino acids are the building blocks of______.
9. Genes are______than diet in determining one&s looks.
10. The body changes______into vitamin A.
I. N 2. Y 3. N 4. Y 5. Y 6. N 7. NG 8. protein 9. less important 10. beta carotene
Many people often enjoy eating out either before or after a visit to the theatre. However, most of us would rather keep the two __11__ separate. One man who thinks that they can be successfully combined has not only expressed his ideas in a recent book, but also set up an establishment where the theory is put very __12__ into practice. The man is Paul Thornton, and the place is the Hollics, an old farmhouse.
Whenever I visit a new restaurant, I feel the same excitement that keen theatre-goers must experience on opening night. I had this feeling last Friday evening at dusk, as my wife and I were taking a walk in the beautiful gardens of the restaurant __13__ after we had arrived. Dinner was as excellent as we had been __14__ 。 There is no menu, for Mr. Thornton creates his meals rather as a director produces a play. Nevertheless, the various combinations of __15__ at each course are always __16__ as if they were done by magic. He and his team of highly skilled helpers serve, cut and cook the food, moving about the &stage& as confidently as __17__ actors. The meal is as different from what one finds in ordinary restaurants as a __18__ performance of A Midsummer Night&s Dream would be from a second-rate television production.
May I offer a few words of advice in case you are thinking of paying him a visit. Try not to arrive just after noon, as Mr. Thornton does not serve a normal lunch. His &brunch& which __19 __ the best __ 20__ of a traditional English breakfast, is served around eleven o&clock and is so plentiful that lunch is unnecessary.
A. features B. shortly C. potential D. definitely
E. perfect F. promoted G. live H. professional I. characters
J. promised K. choices L. includes M. pleasures N. vigorously O. substitutions
40 years ago the idea of disabled people doing sport was never heard of. But when the annual games for the disabled were started at Stoke Mandeville, England in 1948 by Sir Ludwig Guttmann, the situation began to change.
Sir Ludwig Guttmann, who had been driven to England in 1939 from Nazi Germany, had been asked by the British government to set up an injuries center at Stoke Mandeville Hospital near London. His ideas about treating injuries included sport for the disabled.
In the first games just two teams of injured soldiers took part. The next year, 1949, five teams took part. From those beginnings, things have developed fast. Teams now come from abroad to Stoke Mandeville every year. In 1960 the first Olympics for the Disabled were held in Rome, in the same place as the normal Olympic Games. Now, every four years the Olympic Games for the Disabled are held, if possible, in the same place as the normal Olympic Games, although they are organized separately. In other years Games for the Disabled are still held at Stoke Mandeville. In the 1984 wheelchair Olympic Games, 1064 wheelchair athletes from about 40 countries took part. Unfortunately, they were held at Stoke Mandeville and not in Los Angeles, along with the other Olympics.
The Games have been a great success in promoting international friendship and understanding, and in proving that being disabled does not mean you can&t enjoy sport. One small source of disappointment for those who organize and take part in the games, however, has been the unwillingness of the International Olympic Committee to include disabled events at Olympic Games for the able-bodied. Perhaps a few more years are still needed to convince those fortunate enough not to be disabled that their disabled fellow athletes should not be excluded.
21. The first games for the disabled were held______after Sir Ludwig Guttmann arrived
in England.
A. 40 years B. 21 years
C. 10 years D. 9 years
22. Besides Stoke Mandeville, surely the games for the disabled were once held in______.
A. New York B. London
C. Rome D. Los Angeles
23. In Paragraph 3, the word &athletes& means______.
A. people who support the games B. people who watch the games
C. people who organize the games D. people who compete in the games
24. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. Sir Ludwig Guttmann is an early organizer of the games for the disabled.
B. Sir Ludwig Guttmann is an injured soldier.
C. Sir Ludwig Guttmann is from Germany.
D. Sir Ludwig Guttmann is welcomed by the British government.
25. From the passage, we may conclude that the writer is ______.
A. one of the organizers of the game for the disabled
B. a disabled person who once took part in the games
C. against holding the games for the disabled
D. in favor of holding the games for the disabled
It is well known that when an individual joins a group he tends to accept the group&s standards of behavior and thinking. Many illustrations (例证) could be given of this from everyday life, but what is of particular interest to psychologists is the extent to which people&s judgments and opinions can be changed as a result of group pressure. Asch and others noticed that people in a group will agree to statements that are contrary to the evidence of their senses. It would be a mistake to think that only particular changeable people are chosen to take part in experiments of this type. Usually highly intelligent and independent people are used.
In a typical experiment, this is what may happen. The experimenter asks for volunteers to join a group which is investigating visual perception. The victims are not, therefore, aware of the real purpose of the experiment. Each volunteer is taken to a room where he finds a group of about seven people who are collaborating(合作) with the experimenter. The group is shown a standard card which contains a single line. They are then asked to look at a second card. This has three lines on it. One is obviously longer than the line on the first card, one is shorter and one the same length. They have to say which line on the second card is the same length as the line on the standard card. The other members of the group answer first but what the volunteer does not know is that they have been told to pick one of the wrong lines. When his turn comes he is faced with the unanimous (一致的 ) opinion of the rest of the group&all the others have chosen line A but he quite clearly sees line B as correct. What will he do? According to Asch, more than half of the victims chosen will change their opinion. What is equally surprising is that, when interviewed about their answers, most explained that they know the group choice was incorrect but that they yield to the pressure of the group because they thought they must be suffering from an optical illusion, or because they were afraid of being different.
26. The psychologists are particularly interested in_______.
A. the changes in the attitudes of the people
B. the degree of changes of people&s opinions
C. the result of the experiment
D. the difference in people&s characters
27. People who are usually chosen to take part in the experiments are_______.
A. stubborn and independent B. intelligent
C. ignorant and docile D. capable of reasoning
28. Which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. The experimenter and all the members of the group except the victim know the purpose of the experiment.
B. All of them know the purpose of the experiment.
C. Only the experimenter knows the purpose of the experiment.
D. Only the victim knows the purpose of the experiment.
29. More than half of the victims changed their opinion because_______.
A. someone in the group changed their opinion
B. they thought their eyes must be deceived
C. they thought the group choice was correct.
D. they had been told about the answer
30. The purpose of the author in writing this passage is to_______.
A. illustrate the influence of the group&s pressure on individual&s behavior
B. invite more volunteers to join in Asch&s experiment
C. tell the audience how to perform psychological experiment
D. encourage people to act against the group&s opinion
II. M 12. D 13. B 14. J & 15. K 16. E 17. H 18. G 19. L 20. A 21. D 22. C 23. D 24. B 25. D 26. B 27. D 28. C 29. B 30. A
The Man on the Street and the Men on the Moon
Does walking on the moon make life better for people on earth? Considering all the problems of our own world, why should we be spending huge sums on trips to outer space? Such questions as these are often asked, especially by those whose tax money is paying for space exploration. The answers to these questions are many and varied.
Up to now, the practical benefits resulting from space research have included the development of new methods and skills, new processes, new services, new products, and even new companies created to make use of what has been learned through space travel. Also among the benefits are better education (especially in scientific subjects), more efficient management, higher quality of industrial products, and rapid economic growth. People all over the world are now served by improved weather predictions, better communication systems, and better understanding of the earth and its environment. Everyone will benefit as observations from space make it possible to measure the earth&s resources and to observe whether or not they are being used properly. Increasingly, the space program will help our world deal with the problems of the environment. It has already brought a new appreciation of the complex system of which man is only a part.
One of the first areas of daily life to feel the effects of space travel was education. Americans felt challenged by the news of Sputnik I in 1957. Immediately their government responded by providing greatly increased financial support for U. S. education. Emphasis was placed on teaching more science and leaching it better, from the elementary grades through post-graduate school. Because education emphasized science and engineering, thousands of scientists and engineers were produced. These specialists participated more widely in government and industry than ever before.。
In discussing how space travel has contributed to life on earth, some writers also emphasize the management methods which were developed in the effort to land men on the moon. That complex operation required new methods for directing the combined endeavours of thousands and thousands of minds, some in government, some in universities, some in private industry&all working together for a common purpose. Of the set of management techniques that made the walk on the moon possible, one writer, Tom Alexander, has written in Fortune magazine: & This is potentially the most powerful tool in man&s history. 。 。 The question now is whether such techniques can be refashioned and turned to other tasks as well. &
Another result of the space travel has concerned the quality of industrial products. Early in the Space Age, some of the equipment used by astronauts failed to perform properly. Space program managers were convinced by these events that space travel would require greater assurance of quality and dependability than had previously been demanded in industry.
To deal with the problem of quality and dependability, those in charge of the space program emphasized the need for testing industrial products. Many companies that had to develop tests for the space program also manufactured products for use on earth, such as cars and planes. Since some parts are used both in space systems and in products for ordinary life, the emphasis on quality had spread through American industry. Many products are now more reliable than they might have been if men had not been sent to the moon.
In addition to improving the quality of existing products, the space program has been responsible for the development and improvement of new ones. The most important is the computer. To bring the endangered Apollo 13 home safely in 1970, a new flight plan had to be made taking account of an unbelievably complex combination of elements. The computer accomplished this task in seventy-two minutes, whereas a man or a woman working with pencil and paper would have taken more than a million years! If there had been no space program, it is doubtful that computers would now be so widely used in industry and government. More than 800, 000 people in the United States are now employed in jobs related to computers: it is a field in which some of the highest salaries are paid.
Thousands of other new products and processes are now found in industry as the result of space research. Among them are metal alloys, long-wearing paints, plastics, and new types of glue and other adhesives(粘合剂) , as well as new industrial tools. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has a special program called Technology Utilization to speed the transfer of new ideas from the space program to commerce and industry. The U. S. Department of Commerce makes reports on this information available to organizations abroad.
New products and techniques for medicine have developed from the need to measure astronauts& response to space flights. Many of these products and techniques are useful to patients in hospitals. To take just one example, there is a unit as small as a cigarette package which can be strapped to a patient&s arm to report on blood pressure, temperature, breathing, and other important information. Such devices allow a single nurse to observe changes in the condition of as many as sixty-four patients in an intensive-care unit.
Besides contributing to education, industry, and medicine, the space program has benefited communication. As a matter of fact, space satellites have revolutionized world communication. By 1960, the demand for overseas telephone and telegraph message for the United States was growing even faster. Industry could see no way to lay undersea cable. Transoceanic television was considered impractical. Satellites have changed all this. From thousands of kilometres above our earth, a communications satellite receives a signal from one side of the world and relays it directly to the other.
The first experiments with communications satellites were conducted in the early 1960s. Today about half the world&s long-distance telephone, telegraph, and television traffic is relayed by satellite. Through international agreements, the cost of transoceanic communication has cut almost in half.
An example of other ways in which satellites can benefit mankind was provided in 1970 by an international congress on post-graduate medical instruction. The American participants were in T participating Europeans were in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. For three hours by satellite, 30,000 doctors saw and heard their colleagues across the sea.
Satellites are being used not only for medical purposes and for education but also for predicting the weather in a more reliable way. Many lives have been saved by advance warnings of hurricanes and other dangerous storms. Before satellites, weather forecasters had information only from locations with observation stations. The information was generally available only from land areas. There were few reports about conditions in areas covered by oceans& about three-fourths of the world&s surface. The significance of this lack becomes apparent with the realization that most bad weather originates at sea.
1. Even without space program, computers would have become very popular in every walk of life.
2. The passage gives an account of the practical benefits resulting from space research.
3. American education was the first area affected by space travel because science and engineering were placed much emphasis on after Sputnik I was launched in 1957.
4. The quality control methods resulted in more reliable products for space travel than for ordinary life.
5. To meet the increasing need for world communication, Americans could do nothing but lay more undersea cables.
6. Before satellites, people got little information about the weather conditions in the sea areas, where most bad weather originates.
7. American youngsters were particularly interested in science and engineering.
8. The need for better quality control of industrial products was realized due to the fact that some of the equipment used in space program_______.
9. It is said in the passage that some of the people working in the field of computers earn
10. People began the experiments with the communications satellites in_______.
1. N 2. Y 3. Y 4. N 5. N 6. Y 7. N 8. failed to perform properly 9. the highest salaries 10. 1960s
Student expeditions do a great deal of good work on the Arctic islands but from time to time cause trouble in the huts, probably because students are not familiar with the __11__ of the little wooden huts dotted all over the islands of the Spizbergen group.
Each hut __12__ has an inner and an outer door, shutters over the windows, a store of wood __13__ up outside, dry chopped wood inside, utensils and cutlery, and above all, a small store of food. All these things must be completely in __14__ whenever the hut is left.
It makes no __15__ if it is only the middle of July. That__ 16__ hut may not be visited again before the winter. A door left open can lead either to snow filling up the hut to the ceiling, or __17__ still, wind blowing the roof off. Unfastened shutters leave the windows an easy prey for polar bears __18 __for food and the result is again snow in the hut. The ready-chopped wood is also very important.
A traveler visiting the hut in the middle of the dark time and perhaps in bad weather, his feet, hands and face bitten by the frost, will have his difficulties doubled if the wood he left has been used up by others and he had nothing with which to __19 __a fire.
Ten or more years ago there were enough hunters to look after most of the huts, but now many buildings have become useless because there is no one to repair them and because of __20__。
A. worse B. peculiar C. laid D. light
E. generally F. order G. particular H. conventions
I. carelessness J. difference K. built L. fashions
M. searching N. ordinarily O. result
I have had just about enough of being treated like a second-class citizen, simply because I happen to be that put-upon member of society&a customer. The more I go into shops and hotels, banks and post offices, railway stations, airports and the like, the more I&m convinced that things are being run solely to suit the firm, the system, or the union. There seems to be a harmful new motto (格言) for so-called &service& organizations&Staff Before Service.
How often, for example, have you queued for what seems like hours at the Post Office or the supermarket because there weren&t enough staff on duty to man all the service grilles (栅门) of checkout counters? Surely in these days of high unemployment it must be possible to recruit cashiers and counter staff. Yet supermarkets, hinting darkly at higher prices, claim that enshrouding all their cash registers at any one time would increase overheads. And the Post Office says we cannot expect all their service grilles to be occupied &at times when demand is low. &
It&s the same with hotels. Because waiters and kitchen staff must finish when it suits them, dining rooms close earlier or menu choice is curtailed. As for us guests, we just have to put up with it. There&s also the nonsense of so many so friendly hotel night porters having been dismissed in the interests of &efficiency& (i. e. profits) and replaced by coin guzzling machines. Not to mention the coldness of the tea-making kit in your room: a kettle with an assortment of teabags, plastic milk cartons and lump sugar. Who wants to wake up to a raw teabag? I don&t, especially when I am paying for &service&。
21. The writer feels that nowadays a customer is_______.
A. one who is well served B. unworthy of proper consideration
C. classified by society as inferior D. the victim of modern service
22. In the writer&s opinion, the quality of service is changing because_______.
A. the customer&s demands have changed
B. the organizations receive more consideration than the customers
C. the customers& needs have increased
D. the staff are less considerate than their employers
23. According to the writer, long queues at counters are caused by ____.
A. difficulties in recruiting staff B. inadequate staffing arrangements
C. staff being made lazy D. lack of co-operation between the staff
24. Service organizations claim that keeping the checkout counters manned would result in
A. a rise in the price for providing services
B. demands by cashiers for more money
C. insignificant benefits for the customers
D. the need to purchase expensive equipment
25. The disappearance of old-style hotel porters can be attributed to the fact that______.
A. few people are willing to do this type of work
B. machines are more reliable than human beings
C. the personal touch is less appreciated nowadays
D. automation has provided cheaper alternatives
Back in the old days, when I was a child, we sat around the family roundtable at dinnertime and exchanged our daily experiences. It wasn&t very organized, but everyone was recognized and all the news that had to be told was told by each family member.
We listened to each other and the interest was not put- it was real. Our family was a unit and we supported each other, and nurtured each other, and liked each other, and&we were even willing to admit&we loved each other.
Today, the family roundtable has moved to the local fast-food restaurant and talk is not easy, much less encouraged.
& Grandma, who used to live upstairs, is now. the voice on long distance, and the working parent is far too beaten down each day to spend evening relaxation time listening to the sandbox experience of an eager four-year-old.
So family conversation is as extinct as my old toys and parental questions such as &What have you been doing, Bobby?& have been replaced by &I&m busy, go watch television. &
And watch TV count them by the millions.
But it&s usually not children&s television that children watch. Saturday morning, the children&s hour, amounts to only about 8 percent of their weekly viewing.
Where are they to be found? Watching adult television, of course, from the Match Game in the morning, to the afternoon at General Hospital, from the muggings and battles on the evening news right through the family hour and past into Starsky and Hutch. That&s where you find our kids, over five million of them, at 10 p. m. , not fewer than a million until after midnight! All of this is done with parental permission.
Television, used well, can provide enriching experiences for our young people, but we must use it with some sense. When the carpet is clean, we turn off the vacuum cleaner. When the dishes are clean, the dishwasher turns itself off.
Not so the television, which is on from the sun in the morning to the moon at night and beyond!
Parents must exercise some control and show some concern about the cultural influence on the child when a program not intended for that child is viewed. Parents need to intervene (干涉)。 Nonintervention may be a wise policy in international affairs, but the results of parental nonintervention will not be wise at all.
26. From the first two paragraphs one may infer that the writer&s a attitude towards &the old days& is______.
A. preferring B. hating
C. being tired of D. disappointing
27. The working parent is not willing to listen to her (his) four-year-old child talking about his sandbox games because she (he) is______.
A. boring B. very tired
C. busy D. angry
28. According to the writer, the responsibility for the kid&s watching adult television and watching it for a long time should be undertaken by______.
A. the television stations B. the society
C. TV programs D. their parents
29. If we use television with some ______television can provide our young people with
much knowledge.
A. instruction of experts B. judgment of our own
C. direction of engineers D. indication of teachers
30. What is the main idea of the last paragraph?
A. Parental nonintervention will not be praised.
B. Nonintervention may be a good policy in international affairs.
C. Parents must exercise some control and show some concern about the cultural influence on the children.
D. Parents need to intervene.
11. H 12. E 13. C 14. F 15. J 16. G 17. A 18. M 19. D 20. I
21. D 22. B 23. B 24. A 25. D 26. A 27. B 28. D 29. B 30. C
Since no one knows what scientific discoveries will be made between now and the year A. D. 2000, each of us can make his own predictions.
Our prophecies (预言) need not be completely wild guesses. We know science has moved forward rapidly in the past 50 years and will continue to do so. If we allow our imaginations to be guided by known research, our prophecies need not be sheer fantasy. We don&t have to go so far as to predict that there will be invasion by men from Mars, or that all food and nourishment will be taken in capsule form, or that mechanical men will roam the world.
With the scientific information that we have available now, let&s make an estimate of progress in air travel. It is likely that within 50 years we shall travel through the air at a speed of 10,000 miles per hour. Too fast? Not at all. Jet-propelled planes can now travel at least 1,000 miles an hour, and jet planes will be outmoded(过时的) shortly by guided missiles. The X-15 rocket&s speed in 1961 was 3,690 miles per hour, and scientists are hoping to double and even triple this speed. They will accomplish this speed-up, because there is no apparent scientific obstacle to prevent it.
Some day, certain aerodynamic(空气动力学的) problems will be overcome and missiles will be enlarged to carry at least 25 passengers. When scientists have solved all the problems of constructing and increasing the speed of apparatus-carrying missiles, their skill will lead them to the next step&missiles for interplanetary flight. This prediction is a scientific possibility in the near future.
Flights into outer space began when Sputnik I was launched in 1957, and man first went into space in 1961. During the late 1950&s and early 1960&s many satellites&man-made astral bodies&orbited the earth and moon. Satellites, which will be controlled by men on earth, may have many beneficial uses. Perhaps scientists will discover a source of energy 100 miles above the earth. This energy could be transmitted to us as a source of power for manufacturing plants or even for our cook stoves. Or one of these missiles might serve as the medium for transmitting communications across the globe. Telephonic
communications might be carried on by beaming waves at the missile, which would in turn beam waves at a telephone halfway across the world. The missile might be the telephonic connection, for example, between you in New York, and a friend in Bangkok.
Such a satellite might also be used as the transmitting medium for interna&tional television broadcasts. Programs being telecast from a Paris studio could then be seen simultaneously in every other country. This immediate international transmission will surely be a development before the turn of a new century.
We may expect to order our clothing, groceries,and other household goods
by television-phone. We prophesy that within twenty five years, our telephones will be equipped with television screens so that we can see the person at the other end of the line.
Other fields of science have also made gigantic (巨大的 ) strides in progress. Medicine had operated so efficiently in the past half-century that many diseases have been nearly wiped out. And more will join this disappearing group of diseases. Diabetes and polio are under control. We can hope and expect that cancer will be conquered. Certain skin diseases, like psoriasis and eczema, which are exceedingly common though not fatal, will be eradicated(消灭)。 The victims of annoying diseases will lead pleasanter lives.
Even the healthy will benefit from the advances in medicine. Life expectancy already had been lengthened and scientists know that the time is coining rapidly when the person one hundred years old will not be a phenomenon.
Even if the birth rate should remain at its present level, the population will be larger as people stay alive longer. Realizing that the increase of population will Strain natural resources, scientists of all kinds are experimenting with methods for extending these resources.
One matter of immediate urgency will be our source of food. The larger the population, the greater will be the demand for food. Our arable适合工作的) land is already taxed to capacity. Scientists will have to find a way to mass-produce food by hydroponics&the science of growing vegetables, or other plants, in water&or by irrigating desert wasteland.
This increased demand for food will create an increased demand for water. Certain parts of the United States&Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona, for example&have been in desperate need of water for a long time. Periodically, the citizens of New York have been water-rationed because droughts have seriously threatened the water supply in the reservoirs which provide the millions of gallons a day needed in the largest city in the world.
Scientists will solve the water problems of the desert and metropolitan areas. Rain-makers will have perfected a simple method, now in the elementary stages of experimentation, for making clouds release their moisture so that the right amount of rain is produced to keep reservoirs at the correct level at all times of the year.
Another method of water production will be the purification of salt water taken from oceans. When a simple, cheap method has been worked out for converting seawater into pure water suitable for use in the household and the manufacturing plant, other scientist-engineers will contribute practical mechanical equipment for piping the water from seashore to desert areas.
Other improvements of the future will touch our lives more closely. It is possible, for example, to imagine that cities of the future will have underground networks of conveyor belts which would supplement subways and make it possible for people to hop on a rapid conveyor system, sit in a little booth, and shuttle a couple of blocks in safety.
Of even more immediate interest than transportation is the clothing of the future. The clothes you will wear at the end of this century may not be of silk, cotton, wool, or even nylon. Clothing will be made of new synthetics and so will the upholstery(家具装饰材料) materials you order by television-phone. To get these synthetic materials, scientists will have devised some electrically controlled apparatus which will allow men to dig twenty miles below the surface of the ground. At that level inside the earth, they may discover many types of rock, now unknown, which will give us these new synthetic materials. Cloth made from these materials will be fire-proof because they come from rock.
While these synthetics for cloth are being developed, others will be discovered to take the place of wood and steel. We already have plastic furniture, plastic boats, and plastic dishes. As our wood and steel supplies dwindle (减少 ), synthetic materials will be developed for building homes and giant skyscrapers.
1. According to the reading selection, the world in the year 2000 will achieve great progress in many fields.
2. According to the writer, our predictions about the future should be based on our free imaginations.
3. Synthetics in place of silk, cotton and wool will be made from rocks.
4. Based on available scientific information, it is predicted in this passage that the speed of air travel 50 years from now will reach 10,000 kilometres an hour.
5. Paragraph 8 mainly tells us that many diseases will be cured or under control in the future thanks to the advances in medicine.
6. To meet the increasing demand for food, scientists have found a way to mass-produce food by irrigating desert wasteland.
7. Underground networks of conveyor belts will be more convenient and more widely used than subways.
8. The way to grow vegetables, or other plants, in water is called______.
9. The water problems can be solved by producing rain and______.
10. One of satellites& beneficial uses is to work as the medium for______.
I. Y 2. N 3. Y 4. N 5. Y 6. N 7. NG
8. hydroponics 9. purifying sea water 10. transmitting communications across the globe
Most of us trade money for entertainment. Movies, concerts and shows are enjoyable but __11__ .If you think that you can&t have a good time without spending a lot of money, read on. A little resourcefulness and a few minutes of newspaper-scanning should give you some pleasant surprises.
People may be the most interesting show in a large city. __12__ through busy streets and see what everybody else is doing. You will probably see people fro you will __13__ see people of every age, size, and shape, and you&ll get a free fashion show, too. Window-shopping is also a __14__ sport if the stores are closed.
Check the listings in your neighborhood paper. Local colleges or schools often__ 15__ the public to hear an interesting speaker or a good __16 __. The film or concert series at the local public library probably won&t cost you a penny. Be sure to check commercial advertisements too. A flea market can provide hours of pleasant looking round. Perhaps you can find a free cooking or crafts __17__ in a department store.
Plan ahead for some activities. It is always more pleasant not to have people in front of you in a museum or at a zoo. You may save some money, too, since these places often __18 __aside one or two free __19__ days at slow times during the week. Make sure that you are including the indispensable __20__ that people travel miles to see. If you feel like taking an interesting walk, find a free walking tour, or plan one yourself.
A. expensive B. Wonder C.debate D. admission
E. set F. Wander G.safe H. addition
I. valuable J. dispute K.welcome L. confidently
M. sights N. demonstration O.certainly
Despite these alarming statistics, the scale of the threat that smoking causes to women&s health has received surprisingly little attention. Smoking is still seen by many as a mainly male problem, perhaps because men were the first to take up the habit and therefore the first to suffer the ill-effects. This is no longer the case. Women who smoke like men will die like men. WHO estimates that, in industrialized countries, smoking rates amongst men and women are very similar, at around 30 in a large number of developed countries, smoking is now more common among teenage girls than boys.
As women took up smoking later than men, the full impact of smoking on their health has yet to be seen. But it is clear from countries where women have smoked longest, such as the United Kingdom and the United States, that smoking causes the same diseases in women as in men and the gap between their death rates is narrowing. On current trends, some 20 to 25 per cent of women who smoke will die from their habit. One in three of these deaths will be among women under 65 year of age. The US Surgeon General has estimated that, amongst these women, smoking is responsible for around 40 per cent heart disease deaths, 55 per cent of lethal strokes and, among women of all ages, 80 per cent of lung cancer deaths and 30 per cent of all cancer deaths. Over the last 20 years, death rates in women from lung cancer have more than doubled in Japan, Norway, Poland, Sweden and the United K have increased by more than 200 per cent in Australia, Denmark and New Z and have increased by more than 300 per cent in Canada and the United States.
21. The effect of smoking on women has not been paid enough attention because______.
A. men suffer more from smoking
B. men would like women to smoke
C. men are considered the main sufferers of smoking
D. there are alarming statistics of death caused by smoking
22. &This is no longer the case. & The word &this& refers to______.
A. that men used to suffer the ill-effects
B. that there were alarming statistics
C. that the scale of threat become larger
D. that women suffered from smoking as greatly as men
23. From the fact that in some developed countries smoking is now more common among teenage girls than boys, we can predict that in the days to come, ______.
A. women will have the same diseases as men
B. more women may suffer from smoking than men
C. the smoking rates among men and women will drop
D. the teenage girls today may give up smoking when they are grown-ups
24. All of the following statements are the effects of smoking on women EXCEPT that
A. the death rates of the women and men who are smoking are in similar proportion
B. smoking causes the same diseases in women as in men
C. in the past 20 years, death rates in women from lung cancer have more than doubled
D. smoking is responsible for 30 percent of all cancer deaths among women
25. In the phrase &lethal stroke&, the word &lethal& most probably means______.
A. causing death B. causing discomfort
C. causing poor health D. causing anxiety
The men who race the cars are generally small, with a tight, nervous look. They range from the early 20s to the middle 40s, and it is usually their nerves that go first.
Fear is the driver&s constant companion, and tragedy can be just a step behind. Scarcely a man in the 500 does not carry the scars of ancient crashes. The mark of the plastic surgeon is everywhere, and burned skin is common. Sometimes a driver&s scars are invisible, part of his heritage. Two young drivers, Billy Vukovich and Gary Bettenhausen, raced in their first 500 in 1968. Less than 20 years before, their fathers also competed against one another on the Indy track&and died there.
All this the drivers accept. Over the years, they have learned to trust their own techniques, reflexes, and courage. They depend, too, on a trusted servant&scientific engineering. Though they may not have had a great deal of schooling (an exception is New Zealand&s Bruce McLaren, who has an engineering degree), many drivers are gifted mechanics, with a feeling for their engines that amount to kinship.
A few top drivers have become extremely wealthy, with six-figure incomes from prize money, endorsements, and jobs with auto-product manufacturers. Some have businesses of their own. McLaren designs racing chassis (底盘)。 Dan Gurney&s California factory manufactured the chassis of three of the first four ears in the 1968 Indy 500, including his own second place car.
Yet money is not the only reason why men race cars. Perhaps it isn&t even the major reason. Three-time Indy winner(1961, 1964, 1967) A. J. Foyt, for example, can frequently be found competing on dirty tracks in minor-league races, where money, crowds and safety features are limited, and only the danger is not. Why does he do it? Sometimes Foyt answers, &It&s in my blood. & Other times he says, &It&s good practice. & Now and then he replies, &Don&t ask dumb questions. &
26. The statement &it is usually their nerves that go first& means_______.
A. at first they all have a nervous look
B. they often find they can&t bear the tension even if they are in good condition
C. someday they find they can&t make responses to any risk
D. they can continue their career at most until the middle 40s
27. It can be inferred that a car accident is often coupled with_______.
A. a plastic surgeon B. a companion
C. a risk D. a fire
28. The invisible scars of the drivers mentioned in the second paragraph refers to_______.
A. the regrets left by their fathers B. the fears left by their fathers
C. the cars left by their fathers D. the heritage left by their fathers
29. Bruce McLaren is different from most of the drivers in that_______.
A. he himself designs chassis B. he has an engineering degree
C. he manufactures chassis D. he is a gifted mechanic
30. A. J. Foyt often takes part in minor-league races for_______.
A. prize money B. blood test
C. cheers from the crowd D. enjoyment
II. A 12. F 13. O 14. G 15. K 16. C 17. N 18. E 19. D 20. M 21. C 22. A 23. B 24. C 25. A 26. B 27. D 28. A 29. B 30. D
报名推荐热线:010-299614
育路版权与免责声明
① 凡本网注明稿件来源为"原创"的所有文字、图片和音视频稿件,版权均属本网所有。任何媒体、网站或个人转载、链接转贴或以其他方式复制发表时必须注明"稿件来源:育路网",违者本网将依法追究责任;
② 本网部分稿件来源于网络,任何单位或个人认为育路网发布的内容可能涉嫌侵犯其合法权益,应该及时向育路网书面反馈,并提供身份证明、权属证明及详细侵权情况证明,育路网在收到上述法律文件后,将会尽快移除被控侵权内容。
四六级考试工具箱
四六级考试单项辅导
专家访谈?视频
帮助考生完成英语四六级考前冲刺...
英语四级考试资讯
英语四级备考指导
英语四级试题辅导
英语四级培训机构
英语四级热报课程
学员报名服务中心:北京市海淀区北三环西路48号北京科技会展中心2号楼10层10A()
咨询电话:010-
传真:010-
育路网-百万会员学习社区:
北京育路互联科技有限公司版权所有| 京ICP备号-13

我要回帖

更多关于 2011四级考试时间 的文章

随机推荐