求victorlutherr Vandross if...

Luther Vandross - 主页
喜欢这位艺人的也喜欢...
Luther Vandross歌迷最喜欢的歌曲
播放 收藏 歌词 下载 铃声
Luther Vandross的精选专辑
Luther Vandross的个人档案
路德·范德鲁斯(Luther Vandross,日-日),美国节奏蓝调和灵魂音乐创作歌手,音乐制作人。他获得过8个格莱美音乐奖,其中包括四次最佳节奏蓝调男歌手奖。2004年他获得4个格莱美奖,其中包括年度最佳歌曲奖,奖励他创作《Dance with My Father》这首歌曲。他创下了2500万唱片销售记录。 2005 年7 月1日星期五,四届格莱美奖得主,R&B音乐教父级人物路德·范德鲁斯 Luther Vandross,于肯尼迪医疗中心因病去世,才华未尽,享年 54 岁。
Luther Vandross的留言板1. 新增扫二维码功能,可直接扫 VeryCD 网站影片页面的二维码,便能在应用上打开;
2. 新增支持 B 站视频(哔哩哔哩),满屏的弹幕更欢乐;
1. 新增支持 B 站视频(哔哩哔哩),满屏的弹幕更欢乐;
2. 在影片封面上展示在线视频的清晰度;
您的位置:
网友评论:
代码EAC 抓取日志文件从28. 十二月 ;36 用于 CDLuther Vandross / Self Titled使用驱动器&&:SONY&&&&DVD RW DRU-V200A&& Adapter: 0&&ID: 0读取模式&&&&:不使用 C2,使用精确流, 禁用缓存的安全模式读取偏移校正:0读取 Lead-In 和 Lead-Out : 否所用输出模式:内部 WAV 函数&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 44.100 Hz;16 B立体声其他选项&&&&:&&&&用静音填充抓取中丢失偏移的采样 : 是&&&&去除首尾静音块 : 否&&&&Win NT 及 2000 本地 Win32 接口范围状态及错误已选择范围&&&& 文件名 D:\Music\Luther Vandross - Luther Vandross (APE)\CDImage.wav&&&& 峰值电平 95.9 %&&&& 范围质量 100.0 %&&&& CRC 2F0648F7&&&& 复制成功没有错误发生状态报告结尾
代码PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"TITLE "Self Titled"FILE "Luther Vandross - Luther Vandross.ape" WAVE&&TRACK 01 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Take You Out"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100081&&&&INDEX 01 00:00:00&&TRACK 02 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Grown Thangs"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100129&&&&INDEX 01 03:25:60&&TRACK 03 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Bring Your Heart To Mine"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100130&&&&INDEX 01 07:58:25&&TRACK 04 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Can Heaven Wait"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100131&&&&INDEX 01 12:19:72&&TRACK 05 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Say It Now"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100135&&&&INDEX 01 17:55:40&&TRACK 06 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Hearts Get Broken All The Time (But The Problem Is, This Ti..."&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100133&&&&INDEX 01 22:28:32&&TRACK 07 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / I'd Rather"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100134&&&&INDEX 01 27:48:17&&TRACK 08 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / How Do I Tell Her"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100132&&&&INDEX 01 32:39:27&&TRACK 09 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Any Day Now"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100136&&&&INDEX 01 36:56:30&&TRACK 10 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / If I Was The One"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100137&&&&INDEX 01 42:08:15&&TRACK 11 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Let's Make Tonight The Night"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100138&&&&INDEX 01 46:27:40&&TRACK 12 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Like I'm Invisible"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100139&&&&INDEX 00 50:45:02&&&&INDEX 01 50:45:35&&TRACK 13 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Are You There (With Another Guy)"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100140&&&&INDEX 01 54:45:50&&TRACK 14 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Love Forgot"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&ISRC USJAY0100141&&&&INDEX 01 60:41:05&&TRACK 15 AUDIO&&&&TITLE "Luther Vandross / Really Saying Something"&&&&PERFORMER "Luther Vandross"&&&&INDEX 01 66:17:15
不错的歌手 可惜死了
谢谢LZ分享,再接再厉,努力升铜
终于出了无损 呵呵 多谢
大师的音乐啊
第七首 最经典了
谢谢分享!太喜欢Luther Vandross 的声音,收集他的所有专辑。
谢谢分享!太喜欢Luther Vandross 的声音,收集他的所有专辑。
没种子了,LZ供一下啊
怎么又没种了,还有50多M就OK了。
快三个星期了还没拖完,痛苦啊
拖到50%就拖不动了,郁闷
永远的蓝调
老家伙,新专辑,支持一下。
wow...Thanks for sharing!!
Luther相当经典的一张专辑,收来珍藏,感谢楼主分享
类似“顶”、“沙发”之类没有营养的文字,对勤劳贡献的楼主来说是令人沮丧的反馈信息。
提问之前请再仔细看一遍楼主的说明,或许是您遗漏了。
勿催片。请相信驴友们对分享是富有激情的,如果确有更新版本,您一定能搜索到。
请勿到处挖坑绊人、招贴广告。既占空间让人厌烦,又没人会搭理,于人于己都无利。
如果您发现自己的评论不见了,请参考以上4条。
使用 BBCODE()
音乐风格:&流行地区:&语言:&
正在读取……
上海隐志网络科技有限公司好音质 用酷我
已添加至播放列表
好音质 用酷我
播放列表({{model.playList.length}})
{{el.album}}
{{el.art}}
Luther&Vandross
姓名: Luther&Vandross
国籍: 美国
语言: 英语;
出生地: 美国
星座: 牡羊座
Luther&Vandross于日出生于美国纽约最北部的Bronx区,作为最伟大的黑人男歌手之一,拥有超过两千万张的唱片销售记录,被他富有魔力的嗓音所征服的听众数以亿计。在R&B音乐这个年轻人的世界里,Luther&Vandross称得上是大器晚成,直到他三十岁时才发行了第一张专辑《Never&Too&Much》,之后便一发不可收,之后的十三张专辑都达到了白金销量,被称为是80年代R&B音乐三巨头之一,另两人是鼎鼎大名的Stevie&Wonder和Michael&Jackson。&Luther&Vandross不仅是一名出色而成功的歌手,而且他还是一名成功的词曲作者和唱片制作人,他参与了Stevie&Wonder,Lionel&Richie,Whitney&Houston,&Aretha&Franklin,&Dionne&Warwick和Cheryl&Lynn等著名歌星专辑的录制,并与Mariah&Carey等歌星有合作。在第33,34,39届格莱美奖中三次获得最佳R&B男歌手奖,歌曲《Power&Of&Love/Love&Power》还获得了第34届格莱美最佳R&B歌曲奖。在他近三十年的音乐生涯中,共出版了17张专辑,15张精选,以及数十首单曲,日发行了他的最新专辑《Dance&With&My&Father》。专辑名:《Dance&With&My&Father》&演唱者:Luther&Vandross&发行时间:日&发行公司:J-Records&音乐风格:Urban(城市音乐),&Adult&Contemporary(成人时代)&[专辑介绍]&这是Luther&Vandross所有唱片中的第一张Billboard&200排行榜的冠军专辑。在专辑中Luther&Vandross亲自创作了大部分歌曲,并担任监制,制作人。这位R&B大师的深厚功力再一次得到了证明,他的音乐毫不夸张的说是完美嗓音和诗意歌词的完美结合,而且他还拉来了Richard&Marx,Destiny&s&Child的Beyonce&Knowles等歌星来协助录音。&专辑第一首歌就让R&B后生们领教了这位老将的实力,节奏,嗓音,一切都是那么的和谐。《The&Closer&I&Get&to&You》则是Luther&Vandross与Destiny&s&Child合唱团Beyonce&Knowles亲昵而深情的对唱,其中Beyonce&Knowles的演唱也得到了这位R&B巨匠的称赞。《Dance&With&My&Father》更是充满了Luther&Vandross对父亲的纪念。《She&Saw&You》中引入了RAP的节奏,结合以吉他的伴奏,讲述了一个关于出卖的故事,这张近70分钟的专辑证明Luther&Vandross依然保持了一贯的高水准,作为制作人,专辑里歌曲顺序的编排也很合理,听起来让人感到十分的舒服。这张专辑的歌曲与新生代的R&B作品相比,节奏略慢,但仍能十分明显的感觉到Luther&Vandross的未随时间的推移而褪色的嗓音及才华。Luther&Vandross&was&one&of&the&most&successful&R&B&artists&of&the&1980s&and&&90s.&Not&only&did&he&score&a&series&of&multi-million-selling&albums&containing&chart-topping&hit&singles&and&perform&sold-out&tours&of&the&U.S.&and&around&the&world,&but&he&also&took&charge&of&his&music&creatively,&writing&or&co-writing&most&of&his&songs&and&arranging&and&producing&his&records.&He&also&performed&these&functions&for&other&artists,&providing&them&with&hits&as&well.&He&was,&however,&equally&well&known&for&his&distinctive&interpretations&of&classic&pop&and&R&B&songs,&reflecting&his&knowledge&and&appreciation&of&the&popular&music&of&his&youth.&Possessed&of&a&smooth,&versatile&tenor&voice,&he&charmed&millions&with&his&romantic&music.Vandross&was&born&in&New&York&City&on&April&20,&1951,&and&grew&up&in&the&Alfred&E.&Smith&housing&projects&in&lower&Manhattan.&Both&of&his&parents,&Luther&Vandross,&Sr.,&an&upholsterer,&and&Mary&Ida&Vandross,&a&nurse,&sang,&and&they&encouraged&their&children&to&pursue&music&as&a&career.&Vandross&Sr.&s&older&sister&Patricia&Van&Dross&was&an&early&member&of&the&Crests&in&the&mid-&50s&(appearing&on&their&early&singles,&but&leaving&before&they&achieved&success&with&&Sixteen&Candles&),&and&Vandross&himself&began&playing&the&piano&at&the&age&of&three&and&took&lessons&at&five,&although&he&remained&a&largely&self-taught&musician.&After&the&death&of&his&father&in&1959&when&he&was&eight&years&old,&he&was&raised&by&his&mother,&who&moved&the&family&to&the&Bronx.&While&attending&William&Howard&Taft&High&School,&he&formed&a&vocal&group,&Shades&of&Jade,&with&friends&Carlos&Alomar,&Robin&Clark,&Anthony&Hinton,&Diane&Sumler,&and&Fonzi&Thornton.&All&five,&along&with&11&other&teenage&performers,&were&also&part&of&a&musical&theater&workshop,&Listen,&My&Brother,&organized&by&the&Apollo&Theater&in&Harlem&that&recorded&a&single,&&Listen,&My&Brother&/&Only&Love&Can&Make&a&Better&World,&&and&appeared&on&the&initial&episodes&of&the&children&s&television&series&Sesame&Street&in&1969.&After&graduating&from&high&school&that&year,&Vandross&attended&Western&Michigan&University,&but&dropped&out&after&a&year&and&returned&home.&He&spent&the&next&few&years&working&at&odd&jobs&while&trying&to&break&into&the&music&business.In&1973,&Vandross&got&two&of&his&compositions,&&In&This&Lovely&Hour&&and&&Who&s&Gonna&Make&It&Easier&for&Me,&&recorded&by&Delores&Hall&on&her&album&Hall-Mark,&singing&the&latter&song&with&her&as&a&duet.&In&1974,&though&uncredited,&he&sang&background&vocals&on&Maggie&Bell&s&Queen&of&the&Night,&and&in&August&of&the&same&year&Carlos&Alomar,&who&had&become&David&Bowie&s&guitarist,&invited&him&to&attend&a&Bowie&recording&session&at&Sigma&Sound&Studios&in&Philadelphia.&He&quickly&became&more&than&an&observer,&singing&background&vocals,&serving&as&a&vocal&arranger,&and&co-writing&the&song&&Fascination&&with&Bowie.&The&session&resulted&in&the&album&Young&Americans,&released&in&March&1975,&and&Vandross&also&went&on&tour&with&Bowie&in&September&1974&as&both&backup&singer&and&opening&act.&Meanwhile,&Vandross&&1972&composition&&Everybody&Rejoice&(A&Brand&New&Day)&&was&featured&in&the&Broadway&musical&The&Wiz,&which&opened&a&run&of&1,672&performances&on&January&5,&1975.&(It&was&later&made&into&a&1978&film.)&The&show&starred&Stephanie&Mills,&who&used&Vandross&as&a&background&singer&on&her&1975&album&Movin&&in&the&Right&Direction.&(He&also&sang,&uncredited,&on&Gary&Glitter&s&self-titled&1975&album.)Through&Bowie,&Vandross&met&Bette&Midler,&who&hired&him&to&arrange&vocals&for&her&Broadway&revue&Bette&Midler&s&Clams&on&the&Half&Shell,&which&played&ten&weeks&at&the&Minskoff&Theater&starting&on&April&14,&1975.&Midler&also&introduced&him&to&her&record&producer,&Arif&Mardin,&at&Atlantic&Records,&and&Vandross&began&to&get&steady&work&as&a&background&singer&and&vocal&arranger.&In&1976,&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Midler&(Songs&for&the&New&Depression),&the&Brecker&Brothers&Band&(Back&to&Back),&Roy&Buchanan&(A&Street&Called&Straight),&Andy&Pratt&(Resolution),&and&Judy&Collins&(Bread&and&Roses).&He&also&put&together&a&vocal&quintet&called&Luther,&consisting&of&himself,&former&Shades&of&Jade&members&Anthony&Hinton&and&Diane&Sumler,&Theresa&V.&Reed,&and&Christine&Wiltshire,&which&signed&to&Atlantic&s&Cotillion&Records&subsidiary.&Their&self-titled&debut&album&was&released&in&June&1976.&It&did&not&sell&well&enough&to&reach&the&charts,&but&the&tracks&&It&s&Good&for&the&Soul,&&&Funky&Music&(Is&a&Part&of&Me),&&and&&The&Second&Time&Around&&reached&the&R&B&Top&40.&Reed&and&Wiltshire&dropped&out,&and&the&remaining&trio&made&a&second&Luther&album,&This&Close&to&You&(April&1977),&with&Vandross&given&top&billing,&while&Hinton&and&Sumler&were&credited&as&featured&soloists.&The&title&song&reached&the&R&B&charts,&but&that&wasn&t&enough&to&keep&Cotillion&from&dropping&the&group,&which&then&broke&up.&(Vandross&acquired&the&rights&to&the&Luther&recordings&and&saw&to&it&that&they&remained&out&of&print.)Meanwhile,&Vandross&continued&doing&sessions.&In&1977,&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Nils&Lofgren&(I&Came&to&Dance),&Geils&(aka&the&J.&Geils&B&Monkey&Island),&the&Average&White&Band&and&Ben&E.&King&(Benny&and&Us),&Andy&Pratt&(Shiver&in&the&Night),&Ringo&Starr&(Ringo&the&4th),&and&Chic&(Chic).&He&also&entered&the&lucrative&world&of&writing&and&singing&commercial&jingles,&and&before&long&was&the&musical&voice&of&everything&from&telephones,&fast&food,&and&beverages&to&various&branches&of&the&U.S.&military&on&radio&and&television.&And&the&recording&sessions&continued.&In&1978,&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Garland&Jeffreys&(One&Eyed&Jack),&Carly&Simon&(Boys&in&the&Trees),&Roy&Buchanan&(You&re&Not&Alone),&Quincy&Jones&(Sounds...and&Stuff&Like&That!!),&Norma&Jean&(Norma&Jean),&T.&Life&(That&s&Life),&Roberta&Flack&(Roberta&Flack),&Odyssey&(Hollywood&Party&Tonight),&the&soundtrack&to&the&movie&version&of&The&Wiz,&Chic&(C&est&Chic),&Cat&Stevens&(Back&to&Earth),&David&Spinozza&(Spinozza),&Carole&Bayer&Sager&(Too),&Sean&Delaney&(Highway),&the&Good&Vibrations&(I&Get&Around),&and&Lemon&(Lemon).&And&he&was&the&uncredited&lead&singer&on&the&song&&Get&on&Up&(Get&on&Down),&&by&Roundtree,&an&R&B&chart&entry&that&fall.Vandross&began&to&gain&greater&attention&in&1979.&During&the&year,&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Sister&Sledge&(We&Are&Family),&the&Average&White&Band&(Feel&No&Fret),&Chic&(Risqu&),&Bette&Midler&(Thighs&and&Whispers),&Jay&Hoggard&(Days&Like&These),&Revelation&(Get&in&Touch),&John&Tropea&(To&Touch&You&Again),&the&Charlie&Calello&Orchestra&(Calello&Serenade),&Charme&(Let&It&In),&Cher&(Prisoner),&Roberta&Flack&(Featuring&Donny&Hathaway),&Delores&Hall&(Delores&Hall,&Evelyn&&Champagne&&King&(Music&Box),&Ben&Sidran&(The&Cat&and&the&Hat),&and&Soir&e&(Soir&e),&and&on&the&soundtracks&to&the&films&Sunnyside&and&The&Warriors.&Especially&on&the&jazz&and&disco&recordings,&he&was&just&as&likely&to&be&a&featured&vocalist&as&a&background&singer.&And&he&got&a&prominent&credit&when&he&arranged&the&background&vocals&for&Barbra&Streisand&and&Donna&Summer&s&duet&&No&More&Tears&(Enough&Is&Enough),&&which&became&a&number&one&pop&hit&in&November&1979.&He&gained&even&more&recognition&in&1980,&a&year&in&which&he&appeared&on&studio&albums&by&Chaka&Khan&(Naughty),&Melba&Moore&(Closer),&Mtume&(In&Search&of&the&Rainbow&Seekers),&Dave&Valentin&(Land&of&the&Third&Eye),&the&Brecker&Brothers&(Detente),&Terumasa&Hino&(Daydream),&Cissy&Houston&(Step&Aside&for&a&Lady),&Jimmy&Maelen&(Beats&Workin&),&the&Jess&Roden&Band&(Stonechaser),&and&the&Michael&Zager&Band&(Zager),&as&well&as&live&albums&by&Bette&Midler&(Divine&Madness)&and&the&duo&of&Roberta&Flack&and&Peabo&Bryson&(Live&&&More),&and&on&the&soundtrack&to&the&film&Fame.&But&the&most&important&credit&for&him&that&year&was&his&work&as&lead&vocalist&of&the&studio&group&Change.&He&sang&on&the&band&s&tracks&&Searching,&&a&Top&40&R&B&hit,&and&&The&Glow&of&Love,&&which&also&reached&the&R&B&charts,&and&his&name&was&listed&prominently&on&the&discs.&This&increased&his&profile&even&more,&and&he&began&circulating&a&demo&tape&to&recording&companies,&seeking&a&solo&deal&that&would&allow&him&to&write&and&produce&his&own&records.&On&April&21,&1981,&he&signed&with&the&Epic&Records&subsidiary&of&the&major&label&CBS&Records.Vandross&immediately&began&work&on&his&debut&album,&cutting&down&on&sideman&sessions,&although&during&1981&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Bob&James&(All&Around&the&Town),&Bernard&Wright&(&Nard),&Change&(Miracles),&the&J.&Geils&Band&(Freeze&Frame),&Hi&Gloss&(You&ll&Never&Know),&the&Brooklyn,&Bronx&&&Queens&Band&(The&Brooklyn,&Bronx&&&Queens&Band),&Stephanie&Mills&(Stephanie),&and&the&Spinners&(Can&t&Shake&This&Feelin&),&and&in&June&1981&his&composition&&You&Stopped&Loving&Me&&was&sung&by&Roberta&Flack,&with&him&arranging&and&singing&background&vocals,&on&the&soundtrack&to&the&film&Bustin&&Loose&and&became&a&Top&40&R&B&hit&for&her.&(Damaris&revived&the&song&for&an&R&B&chart&entry&in&1984.)&Vandross&&own&version&was&included&on&his&debut&solo&album,&Never&Too&Much,&released&in&August.&The&LP&was&a&tour&de&force&for&&he&produced&it&and&wrote&six&of&its&seven&songs,&the&exception&being&a&cover&of&Burt&Bacharach&and&Hal&David&s&Dionne&Warwick&hit&&A&House&Is&Not&a&Home.&&Vandross&expressed&his&musical&vision&on&Never&Too&Much,&and&that&vision&was&of&a&smooth&neo-soul&style&that&recalled&the&pop/R&B&of&his&youth,&particularly&the&music&of&such&predecessors&as&Warwick,&Aretha&Franklin,&the&softer&Motown&artists,&like&Smokey&Robinson,&and&some&of&the&girl&groups&of&the&early&&60s,&such&as&the&Shirelles.&To&those&influences,&Vandross&added&some&contemporary&elements&of&jazz&and&disco.&But&his&approach&was&steeped&in&&he&was&a&stylist,&harking&back&to&the&past,&yet&pointing&to&a&possible&post-disco&future&for&R&B&music.&And&R&B&fans&responded&warmly.&The&title&song,&&Never&Too&Much,&&topped&the&R&B&&second&single&&Don&t&You&Know&That?&&reached&the&R&B&Top&T&and&third&single&&Sugar&and&Spice&(I&Found&Me&a&Girl)&&also&charted&R&B.&The&album&hit&number&one&R&B&in&November&and&was&certified&gold&in&December.&(It&went&platinum&five&years&later&and&double&platinum&in&1997.)&But&Vandross&encountered&more&resistance&in&the&pop&realm,&where&the&album&reached&only&the&Top&20&and&the&single&&Never&Too&Much&&only&made&the&Top&40.&Artistically&and&commercially,&these&results&set&a&pattern&for&Vandross&&career.&Appearing&regularly,&his&albums&showed&great&consistency&in&style&and&content,&even&to&the&point&of&featuring&a&cover&of&a&classic&pop/R&B&song&on&each&disc.&And&while&they&also&sold&consistently&to&the&R&B&audience,&they&rarely&received&equal&support&from&pop&fans.Having&successfully&launched&his&solo&career,&Vandross&might&have&been&expected&to&abandon&session&&certainly,&he&had&less&time&for&it.&But&he&still&enjoyed&working&as&a&background&singer,&so&he&still&did&it&selectively.&In&1982,&for&example,&he&appeared&on&albums&by&Irene&Cara&(Anyone&Can&See),&Michael&Franks&(Objects&of&Desire),&Kleeer&(Taste&the&Music),&Bob&James&(Hands&Down),&Linda&Clifford&(I&ll&Keep&on&Loving&You,&and&Ullanda&McCullough&(Watching&Me,&Watching&You).&At&the&same&time,&Vandross&&demonstrated&abilities&as&songwriter,&producer,&and&vocal&arranger&opened&up&to&him&the&opportunity&to&work&in&these&capacities&with&some&of&the&artists&he&had&grown&up&idolizing,&as&well&as&his&contemporaries.&He&first&turned&his&attention&to&Cheryl&Lynn,&producing&her&R&B&Top&Ten&album&Instant&Love&(June&1982);&writing&the&title&song,&which&became&a&Top&20&R&B&&and&singing&a&duet&with&her&on&a&revival&of&the&1968&Marvin&Gaye&and&Tammi&Terrell&hit&&If&This&World&Were&Mine,&&which&reached&the&R&B&Top&Five.&(&Look&Before&You&Leap,&&from&the&album,&also&made&the&R&B&charts.)&Next,&he&turned&to&Aretha&Franklin,&producing&her&July&1982&LP&Jump&to&It,&and&writing&or&co-writing&four&of&its&eight&songs,&including&the&title&track,&an&R&B&number&&&Love&Me&Right,&&which&went&Top&40&R&B;&and&&This&Is&for&Real,&&an&R&B&chart&entry.&Topping&the&R&B&chart,&it&was&her&first&gold&album&in&six&years.&He&also&sang&on&Diana&Ross&&October&1982&LP&Silk&Electric.&Somehow,&he&found&time&to&make&his&second&solo&album,&Forever,&for&Always,&for&Love,&released&in&September,&again&serving&as&his&own&producer&and&writing&or&co-writing&all&the&tracks&except&for&covers&of&Smokey&Robinson&s&1965&hit&for&the&Temptations&&Since&I&Lost&My&Baby&&and,&in&a&medley&with&his&own&&Bad&Boy,&&Sam&Cooke&s&&Having&a&Party.&&Vandross&&co-writers&on&some&of&the&songs&were&bassist&Marcus&Miller&and&keyboard&player&Nat&Adderley,&Jr.&(a&former&member&of&Listen,&My&Brother),&musical&associates&who&would&work&with&him&throughout&his&career.&A&musical&complement&to&Never&Too&Much,&Forever,&for&Always,&for&Love&was&another&R&B&chart-topper&for&Vandross,&throwing&off&three&singles,&the&Top&Five&&Bad&Boy/Having&a&Party,&&the&Top&20&&Since&I&Lost&My&Baby,&&and&the&chart&entry&&Promise&Me.&&That,&of&course,&was&as&far&as&the&R&B&charts&were&concerned.&On&the&pop&side,&the&album&went&Top&20&and&only&&Bad&Boy/Having&a&Party&&charted.&Nevertheless,&the&LP&was&certified&gold&in&two&months&and&platinum&in&six.Vandross&&multiple&career&tracks&continued&apace&in&1983.&He&sang&on&albums&by&David&Sanborn&(Backstreet),&James&Ingram&(It&s&Your&Night),&former&Shades&of&Jade&member&Fonzi&Thornton&(The&Leader),&Linda&Lewis&(A&Tear&and&a&Smile),&Stephanie&Mills&(Merciless),&and&Betty&Wright&(Back&at&You).&He&produced&Aretha&Franklin&s&next&album,&Get&It&Right,&composing&the&title&song,&which&hit&number&one&R&B,&with&Marcus&Miller,&and&its&follow-up,&&Every&Girl&(Wants&My&Guy),&&a&Top&Ten&R&B&hit.&Then,&he&turned&to&another&idol&of&his&youth,&Dionne&Warwick,&producing&her&album&How&Many&Times&Can&We&Say&Goodbye.&He&and&Warwick&sang&the&title&song&as&a&duet&that&became&her&first&R&B&Top&Ten&hit&in&eight&&it&also&made&the&pop&Top&40.&&Got&a&Date,&&the&Vandross/Miller&composition&released&as&a&second&single&from&the&album,&also&made&the&R&B&charts.&And,&although&it&took&until&December,&Vandross&managed&to&come&up&with&his&third&solo&album,&the&aptly&titled&Busy&Body.&On&this&album,&he&co-produced&several&of&the&tracks&with&Miller,&also&writing&most&of&the&material&with&Miller&and&Nat&Adderley,&Jr.,&the&exceptions&being&&How&Many&Times&Can&We&Say&Goodbye&&and&a&medley&of&the&Leon&Russell/Bonnie&Bramlett&standard&&Superstar&&with&Stevie&Wonder&s&&Until&You&Come&Back&to&Me&(That&s&What&I&m&Gonna&Do).&&As&usual,&there&were&three&singles:&&I&ll&Let&You&Slide&&and&&Superstar/Until&You&Come&Back&to&Me&(That&s&What&I&m&Gonna&Do)&&made&the&R&B&Top&Ten,&and&&Make&Me&a&Believer&&was&a&chart&entry&(of&the&three,&only&the&medley&scraped&into&the&pop&chart);&as&usual,&the&album&hit&number&one&R&B,&but&only&the&Top&40&of&the&pop&&and&as&usual,&sales&certifications&poured&in,&the&album&going&gold&in&two&months&and&platinum&in&January&1985.Vandross&finally&eased&off&on&his&recording&schedule&during&1984,&if&only&because&he&was&now&a&major&concert&attraction&and&toured&in&both&North&America&and&Europe.&His&only&credit&for&the&year&was&his&composing&(with&Marcus&Miller),&arranging,&producing,&and&singing&background&vocals&on&the&song&&You&re&My&Choice&Tonight&(Choose&Me)&&for&Teddy&Pendergrass,&a&Top&20&R&B&hit.&Vandross&thus&was&able&to&lavish&more&time&on&his&fourth&album,&The&Night&I&Fell&in&Love,&released&in&March&1985.&Overall&producer&credit&again&went&to&him,&with&three&of&the&eight&tracks&co-produced&by&Miller.&Six&of&the&songs&were&written&by&Vandross&alone&or&co-written&with&Miller&or&Nat&Adderley,&Jr.,&the&exceptions&being&covers&of&Brenda&Russell&s&&If&Only&for&One&Night&&and&Stevie&Wonder&s&&Creepin&.&&The&album&spawned&four&R&B&single&hits:&&&Til&My&Baby&Comes&Home&&(Top&Ten&and&a&Top&40&pop&hit);&&It&s&Over&Now&&(Top&Five);&&Wait&for&Love&&(Top&20);&and&&If&Only&for&One&Night.&&The&album&spent&seven&weeks&atop&Billboard&s&R&B&LP&list,&going&gold&and&platinum&simultaneously&as&soon&as&it&was&eligible&for&certification&in&May&and&double&platinum&in&1990.&It&also&reached&number&14&in&the&pop&charts,&Vandross&&best&showing&yet.&With&his&own&album&out&of&the&way,&he&made&some&selected&appearances&on&other&albums&during&1985,&contributing&a&song,&&She&s&So&Good&to&Me,&&to&the&soundtrack&of&the&film&The&Goonies&and&singing&on&albums&by&Carly&Simon&(Spoiled&Girl),&Patti&Austin&(Gettin&&Away&with&Murder),&and&Wonder&(In&Square&Circle).&He&also&sang&background&vocals&on&the&Temptations&&&Do&You&Really&Love&Your&Baby,&&a&song&he&co-wrote&with&Miller&that&peaked&in&the&R&B&Top&20&in&early&1986.Vandross&spent&much&of&1986&working&on&his&own&material,&only&pausing&to&contribute&background&vocals&on&David&Bowie&s&soundtrack&to&the&film&Labyrinth.&The&results&of&his&efforts&were&first&heard&in&June&when&&Give&Me&the&Reason&&was&included&on&the&soundtrack&to&the&film&Ruthless&People&and&released&as&a&single&that&went&Top&Five&R&B&and&reached&the&pop&chart.&Vandross&&fifth&album,&also&titled&Give&Me&the&Reason,&followed&in&September.&His&fifth&consecutive&R&B&chart-topper,&it&included&additional&singles&&Stop&to&Love&&(number&one&R&B&and&his&first&Top&20&pop&hit);&the&duet&with&Gregory&Hines&&There&s&Nothing&Better&Than&Love,&&co-written&with&John&&Skip&&Anderson,&a&synthesizer&player&in&Vandross&&band&(also&number&one&R&B&and&a&pop&chart&entry);&&I&Really&Didn&t&Mean&It&&(Top&Ten&R&B);&and&&So&Amazing&&(an&R&B&chart&entry&of&a&Vandross&song&previously&recorded&by&Dionne&Warwick,&whose&Burt&Bacharach/Hal&David&hit&&Anyone&Who&Had&a&Heart&&was&revived&on&the&LP).&Simultaneous&gold&and&platinum&certifications&in&December&were&followed&by&a&double-platinum&award&in&1990.In&1987,&Vandross&contributed&a&song,&&It&s&Hard&for&Me&to&Say,&&which&he&co-wrote&with&John&&Skip&&Anderson&and&co-produced,&to&Diana&Ross&&album&Red&Hot&Rhythm&&&Blues,&and&worked&as&a&background&singer&and&arranger&on&Ava&Cherry&s&Picture&Me&and&Cheryl&Lynn&s&Start&Over.&He&also&appeared&on&Irene&Cara&s&Carasmatic,&Nick&Kamen&s&self-titled&album,&and&Doc&Powell&s&Love&Is&Where&It&s&At.&Meanwhile,&Gerald&Albright&covered&&So&Amazing&&and&took&it&into&the&R&B&Top&20.&In&1988,&Vandross&sang&background&vocals&on&Patti&Austin&s&The&Real&Me&and&Barbra&Streisand&s&Till&I&Loved&You,&and&he&wrote&&The&Girl&Wants&to&Dance&with&You,&&which&became&a&Top&Ten&R&B&hit&for&Gregory&Hines.&The&song&appeared&on&Hines&&self-titled&album,&which&Vandross&produced.&Otherwise,&he&spent&the&two-year&interval&between&his&fifth&and&sixth&albums&doing&shows&and&working&on&that&sixth&album,&Any&Love,&which&appeared&in&October&1988&and&was&supported&by&a&three-month&U.S.&tour.&By&now,&Marcus&Miller&had&been&promoted&to&full&co-producer,&and&other&co-writers&had&joined&the&team,&but&the&approach&was&still&the&same.&And&so&was&the&success.&Any&Love&topped&the&R&B&charts&and&gave&Vandross&his&first&Top&Ten&pop&album,&with&the&usual&simultaneous&gold&and&platinum&certifications&two&months&after&release.&The&title&song&topped&the&R&B&list&and&penetrated&the&pop&&second&single&&She&Won&t&Talk&to&Me&&went&Top&Five&R&B&and&made&the&pop&Top&40;&and&&For&You&to&Love&&was&another&Top&Five&R&B&hit.Vandross&had&by&now&become&an&international&success,&and&a&record-breaking&ten-night&stand&at&London&s&Wembley&Arena&in&March&1989&was&commemorated&with&a&home&video,&Live&at&Wembley.&At&the&close&of&an&enormously&successful&decade,&Vandross&and&Epic&determined&to&sum&things&up,&and&in&October&1989&issued&the&two-LP&greatest-hits&compilation&The&Best&of&Luther&Vandross:&The&Best&of&Love,&which&included&two&new&tracks,&&Here&and&Now&&and&&Treat&You&Right.&&With&those&additions,&the&collection&didn&t&just&summarize&Vandross&&career,&it&finally&gave&him&his&long-sought&major&crossover&hit,&as&&Here&and&Now,&&a&song&co-written&by&Dionne&Warwick&s&son&David&L.&Elliott&with&Terry&Steele,&not&only&topped&the&R&B&chart&but&also&hit&the&pop&Top&Ten,&going&gold&in&the&process.&It&also&won&Vandross&his&first&Grammy&Award,&for&Best&R&B&Vocal&Performance,&Male.&&Treat&You&Right&&went&Top&Five&R&B,&and&the&set&was&a&million&seller&by&March&1990.&(By&1997,&it&was&triple&platinum.)&Between&the&release&of&the&hits&album&and&his&next&regular&studio&album,&Power&of&Love,&which&appeared&in&April&1991,&Vandross&as&usual&lent&his&talents&to&other&artists&&recordings.&He&sang&background&vocals&for&Quincy&Jones&(Back&on&the&Block),&Paul&Jackson,&Jr.&(Out&of&the&Shadows),&and&David&Lasley&(Soldiers&on&the&Moon).&He&contributed&a&song,&&There&s&Only&You,&&to&the&soundtrack&of&the&1990&film&Made&in&Heaven.&He&wrote&and&produced&the&song&&Who&Do&You&Love&&for&Whitney&Houston&s&album&I&m&Your&Baby&Tonight.&And&he&served&as&an&arranger,&producer,&and&background&vocalist&on&Lisa&Fischer&s&So&Intense,&released&the&same&day&as&Power&of&Love.&Vandross&&seventh&album,&Power&of&Love&suggested&that&the&pop&breakthrough&he&had&achieved&with&&Here&and&Now&&would&be&sustained.&The&advance&single,&a&medley&of&Vandross&and&Marcus&Miller&s&song&&Power&of&Love&&with&the&Sandpebbles&&1967&hit&&Love&Power,&&not&only&topped&the&R&B&charts,&but&also&went&Top&Five&pop,&and&the&LP,&Vandross&&seventh&R&B&number&one,&was&his&second&to&penetrate&the&pop&Top&Ten.&A&million&seller&by&June&1991,&it&went&double&platinum&two&years&later&in&the&wake&of&the&further&singles&&Don&t&Want&to&Be&a&Fool&&(Top&Five&R&B,&Top&Ten&pop),&&The&Rush&&(Top&Ten&R&B&and&a&pop&chart&entry),&and&&Sometimes&It&s&Only&Love&&(Top&Ten&R&B).&Vandross&&national&tour&to&support&the&album&began&in&September&1991&and&included&four&sold-out&nights&at&Madison&Square&Garden&in&October&as&it&ran&through&January&1992.&&Power&of&Love/Love&Power&&was&named&Best&R&B&Song&at&the&1991&Grammys,&and&the&Power&of&Love&album&won&Vandross&another&trophy&for&Best&R&B&Vocal&Performance,&Male.One&might&have&supposed&that&all&was&well&in&the&world&of&Luther&Vandross,&but&on&January&2,&1992,&he&filed&suit&in&Los&Angeles&Superior&Court&against&Sony&Music&Entertainment&(which&had&acquired&CBS&Records),&citing&California&Labor&Code&Section&2855,&which&limits&personal&service&contracts&to&seven&years.&By&then,&he&had&been&with&CBS/Sony&for&nearly&11&years,&fulfilling&a&ten-album&contract&that&still&had&three&albums&to&go.&Vandross&was&not&the&first&or&the&last&recording&artist&to&file&such&a&suit,&and&whether&he&really&wanted&to&void&his&contract,&believing&that&Epic&still&hadn&t&done&enough&to&sell&his&records&to&the&pop&audience,&or&simply&intended&to&use&the&suit&to&induce&the&record&company&to&renegotiate&his&deal&on&more&favorable&terms,&is&unclear.&Not&for&the&first&or&last&time,&the&record&company&in&question&settled&quietly,&not&wishing&to&test&the&law.&The&terms&of&the&settlement&were&not&reported,&but&thereafter,&Vandross&had&his&own&vanity&label,&his&records&going&out&under&the&Epic/LV&imprint.As&usual,&following&the&release&of&Power&of&Love,&Vandross&found&the&time&to&work&with&other&artists.&He&appeared&on&1991&albums&by&BeBe&&&CeCe&Winans&(Different&Lifestyles),&Patti&LaBelle&(Burnin&),&Richard&Marx&(Rush&Street),&and&Kevin&Owens&(That&Time&Again),&and&he&co-wrote&and&produced&the&song&&Doctor&s&Orders&&on&Aretha&Franklin&s&What&You&See&Is&What&You&Sweat.&In&1992,&without&a&new&album&out,&he&kept&his&name&before&the&public&with&special&appearances,&starting&with&the&soundtrack&to&the&film&Mo&&Money,&released&in&June,&which&featured&a&song&called&&The&Best&Things&in&Life&Are&Free&&(not&the&1927&standard&by&Buddy&DeSylva,&Lew&Brown,&and&Ray&Henderson,&but&a&newly&written&composition)&that&he&performed&with&Janet&Jackson,&Bell&Biv&DeVoe,&and&Ralph&Tresvant&(which&is&to&say,&four&of&the&five&members&of&New&Edition).&It&hit&number&one&on&the&R&B&chart&and&went&Top&Ten&pop.&Next,&Vandross&wrote&and&performed&the&theme&song&&Heart&of&a&Hero&&for&the&soundtrack&of&the&movie&Hero,&released&in&October&1992,&and&the&same&month&he&contributed&a&performance&of&&The&Christmas&Song&&to&the&seasonal&charity&album&A&Very&Special&Christmas,&Vol.&2.&He&made&more&modest&contributions&to&two&albums&released&in&the&first&quarter&of&1993,&Dionne&Warwick&s&Friends&Can&Be&Lovers&and&Eddie&Murphy&s&Love&s&Alright.Never&Let&Me&Go,&Vandross&&eighth&album,&was&released&on&June&1,&1993,&prefaced&by&the&single&&Little&Miracles&(Happen&Every&Day).&&Maybe&the&promotional&staff&at&Epic&Records&was&demoralized&by&the&recent&lawsuit,&or&perhaps&changing&musical&styles,&notably&the&rise&of&hip-hop,&were&affecting&matters,&but&the&commercial&response&to&Vandross&&new&music&was&slightly&disappointing.&The&single&reached&the&R&B&Top&Ten&but&was&only&a&minor&pop&chart&entry,&and&Never&Let&Me&Go,&despite&marking&a&new&pop&chart&peak&for&Vandross&at&number&six,&stayed&in&that&chart&less&than&half&the&tenure&enjoyed&by&Power&of&L&on&the&R&B&chart,&it&crested&at&number&three,&Vandross&&first&new&album&not&to&reach&number&one.&Three&further&singles&charted&&&&Heaven&Knows,&&a&cover&of&the&Bee&Gees&&&How&Deep&Is&Your&Love,&&and&&Never&Let&Me&Go&&&&but&none&was&a&substantial&hit.&The&falloff&in&sales&was&actually&&the&album&took&one&month&longer&to&go&platinum&than&Vandross&albums&usually&did.&But&for&the&first&time,&the&singer&s&momentum&was&slowing.&Despite&this,&he&continued&his&usual&round&of&activities,&initially&touring&Europe&to&promote&the&&appearing&in&the&small&part&of&a&hitman&in&the&film&The&Meteor&Man&in&A&launching&a&U.S.&arena&tour&that&began&in&September&and&ran&through&N&and,&in&November,&singing&a&duet&with&Frank&Sinatra&of&Rodgers&&&Hart&s&&The&Lady&Is&a&Tramp&&as&the&leadoff&track&on&Sinatra&s&celebrated&Duets&album.&Then&it&was&back&to&Europe&for&another&round&of&dates.Vandross&also&paid&visits&to&his&friends&in&recording&studios,&resulting&in&appearances&on&the&1994&albums&Paid&Vacation&by&Richard&Marx,&Restless&by&Bob&James,&and&World&Tour&by&Jason&Miles.&But&he&clearly&knew&something&had&to&be&done&to&revitalize&his&own&recording&career.&An&idea&came&from&Sony&president&Tommy&Mottola&and&his&then-wife,&superstar&Mariah&Carey.&Vandross&had&put&at&least&one&oldie&on&every&one&of&his&albums:&why&not&do&an&all-covers&album?&For&most&other&artists,&this&would&have&seemed&like&a&typically&clich&d&record&company&concept,&commercial&but&artistically&stifling.&For&Vandross,&who&was&steeped&in&pop&music&history&and&who&had&done&some&of&his&best&work&reimagining&the&music&of&others,&it&was&a&natural.&He&even&agreed&to&give&up&the&production&reins&to&a&Sony&stalwart,&the&commercially&savvy&Walter&Afanasieff,&whose&recent&clients&included&Carey,&Michael&Bolton,&and&Celine&Dion.&The&result&was&the&modestly&titled&Songs,&released&September&27,&1994.&The&album&was&prefaced&by&a&cover&of&the&1981&Lionel&Richie/Diana&Ross&hit&&Endless&Love,&&on&which&Vandross&sang&a&duet&with&Carey.&The&single&peaked&at&number&two&on&the&pop&charts,&a&new&high&for&Vandross,&even&outpacing&its&number&seven&showing&on&the&R&B&charts.&The&album&went&to&number&two&R&B&and&number&five&pop,&another&crossover&high&for&the&singer.&With&follow-up&singles&in&revivals&of&Heatwave&s&1978&hit&&Always&and&Forever&&(Top&20&R&B&and&a&pop&chart&entry)&and&the&double-sided&&Going&in&Circles&/&Love&the&One&You&re&With&&(the&former&previously&a&hit&for&both&the&Friends&of&Distinction&and&the&Gap&B&the&latter&the&Stephen&Stills&hit),&which&went&Top&40&R&B&and&was&another&pop&chart&entry,&the&album&was&an&immediate&million-seller&and&went&double&platinum&within&18&months.His&commercial&status&restored,&Vandross&undertook&his&usual&pursuits,&singing&background&vocals&on&the&occasional&album&(Cindy&Mizelle&s&Cindy&Mizelle&[1994],&Naomi&Campbell&s&Babywoman,&Yvonne&Lewis&&No&Strangers&in&Paradise&[both&1995])&and&undertaking&a&tour&that&began&on&May&31,&1995,&in&San&Diego,&CA.&For&his&next&album,&he&tried&another&favorite&record&company&concept,&the&holiday&collection.&This&Is&Christmas,&which&contained&seven&originals&along&with&only&three&traditional&Christmas&songs&and&restored&the&production&team&of&Vandross,&Nat&Adderley,&Jr.,&and&Marcus&Miller,&was&released&October&24,&1995.&It&went&Top&Five&R&B&(with&the&track&&Every&Year,&Every&Christmas&&making&the&R&B&Top&40)&and&peaked&at&number&28&in&the&pop&charts.&An&immediately&certified&gold&album,&it&became&a&perennial&seller&and&went&platinum&in&2002.&Also&in&the&1995&holiday&season,&Vandross&contributed&a&track,&&The&Thrill&I&m&In,&&to&the&soundtrack&of&the&film&Money&Train.Vandross&did&some&touring&during&the&summer&of&1996,&and&he&contributed&a&cover&of&the&Peter,&Paul&&&Mary&hit&&If&I&Had&a&Hammer&&to&the&benefit&album&For&Our&Children&Too,&released&in&September,&but&he&spent&most&of&the&year&working&on&Your&Secret&Love,&the&album&that&would&complete&his&Epic&Records&contract.&It&was&released&on&October&1,&following&the&title&song,&which&came&out&as&an&advance&single&that&made&the&R&B&Top&Five&and&was&a&pop&chart&entry.&(The&track&went&on&to&win&Vandross&another&Grammy&for&Best&R&B&Vocal&Performance,&Male.)&The&album&itself&spent&a&week&at&number&two&in&the&R&B&charts&and&made&the&pop&Top&Ten,&as&second&single&&I&Can&Make&It&Better&&hit&the&R&B&Top&20,&also&making&the&pop&chart,&and&third&single&&Love&Don&t&Love&You&Anymore&&became&a&minor&R&B&hit.&Simultaneous&gold&and&platinum&certifications&arrived&in&December.Vandross&spent&much&of&1997&touring,&beginning&with&an&appearance&at&Superbowl&XXXI&on&January&26&to&sing&the&national&anthem.&He&did&take&time&out&to&sing&background&vocals&on&Richard&Marx&s&April&release,&Flesh&&&Bone,&however.&On&September&30,&Epic/LV&released&his&valedictory&collection,&One&Night&with&You:&The&Best&of&Love,&Vol.&2,&which&began&with&four&new&recordings,&none&of&them&written&or&produced&by&him,&but&instead&contributed&by&such&usually&reliable&hitmakers&as&Diane&Warren,&R.&Kelly,&and&the&team&of&Jimmy&Jam&&&Terry&Lewis.&Understandably,&Epic&didn&t&do&much&of&a&promotional&job&on&this&contractual&obligation&release,&which&nevertheless&reached&the&R&B&Top&40&and&the&pop&Top&50,&spawning&a&Top&40&R&B&hit&in&R.&Kelly&s&&When&You&Call&on&Me/Baby&That&s&When&I&Come&Runnin&&&and&an&R&B&chart&entry&in&Jam&&&Lewis&&&I&Won&t&Let&You&Do&That&to&Me,&&with&a&gold-disc&certification&in&December.While&weighing&offers&from&different&record&companies,&Vandross&made&some&guest&appearances,&turning&up&on&BeBe&Winans&&self-titled&album&in&October&1997,&on&Jimmy&Reid&s&Forever&Loved&in&March&1998,&and&on&his&associate&Marcus&Miller&s&Suddenly&in&June.&On&April&8,&he&performed&at&a&Burt&Bacharach&tribute&concert&at&the&Hammerstein&Ballroom&in&New&York,&singing&&Windows&of&the&World&&and&&What&the&World&Needs&Now.&&The&show&was&filmed&for&television&and&taped,&resulting&in&a&soundtrack&album,&One&Amazing&Night,&released&in&November.&Vandross&also&paid&tribute&to&Patti&LaBelle&at&the&same&venue&on&June&2&for&a&PBS&special.&Deciding&on&Virgin&Records,&a&subsidiary&of&the&major&label&EMI,&he&presented&a&new&album,&I&Know,&on&August&11.&He&had&already&begun&to&introduce&contemporary&elements&of&rap&and&hip-hop&on&Your&Secret&Love,&and&I&Know&continued&this&trend,&but&it&was&a&commercial&disappointment,&only&going&gold&and&generating&just&one&Top&40&R&B&hit&in&&Nights&in&Harlem.&&As&a&result,&he&left&Virgin&after&only&this&one&release.During&1999&and&2000,&Vandross&kept&his&hand&in&with&soundtrack&and&session&work.&He&co-wrote&and&co-produced&&When&You&re&a&Woman&&for&Lisa&Fischer&and&Masters&at&Work,&featured&on&the&soundtrack&of&the&film&24&Hour&Woman,&released&in&March&1999;&contributed&background&vocals&to&Natalie&Cole&s&Snowfall&on&the&Sahara&in&June&1999;&sang&and&arranged&for&Dave&Koz&s&The&Dance&in&September&1999;&and&sang&background&vocals&and&did&vocal&arrangements&on&BeBe&Winans&&Love&&&Freedom&in&August&2000.&That&same&month,&he&ended&his&search&for&a&new&record&company&affiliation,&becoming&the&first&act&signed&to&veteran&record&executive&Clive&Davis&&new&startup&label,&J&Records.&He&made&his&label&debut&with&the&track&&If&I&Was&the&One,&&included&on&the&soundtrack&of&Dr.&Doolittle&2&on&June&5,&2001.&The&song&also&appeared&on&Luther&Vandross,&which&was&released&two&weeks&later.&Vandross&and&Davis&served&as&co-album&producers,&with&individual&tracks&produced&by&others,&and&new&songwriters&were&brought&in&to&give&Vandross&a&new,&current&sound.&The&makeover&was&largely&successful.&Leadoff&single&&Take&You&Out&&became&a&Top&Ten&R&B&and&Top&40&pop&hit,&followed&by&the&R&B&chart&entry&&Can&Heaven&Wait&&and&the&R&B&Top&40&and&pop&chart&entry&&I&d&Rather,&&as&the&album&made&the&pop&Top&Ten&and&just&missed&topping&the&R&B&chart,&reaching&platinum&status&by&November.His&career&revitalized&once&again,&Vandross&toured&in&early&2002,&then&began&work&on&a&second&album&for&J,&taking&time&out&to&sing&Marvin&Gaye&s&&What&s&Going&On&&on&Doc&Powell&s&album&97th&and&Columbus&and&to&contribute&background&vocals&to&&Load&Is&Lifted&&on&Suzanne&Couch&s&In&the&Rhythm&(not&released&until&2005).&He&co-wrote&the&title&song&for&his&new&album,&&Dance&with&My&Father,&&with&Richard&Marx,&and&they&combined&for&a&heartfelt&tribute&to&Vandross&&father.&The&album&was&finished&by&the&spring&of&2003,&and&Vandross&was&preparing&for&a&round&of&publicity&work&when&he&collapsed&in&his&New&York&apartment&on&April&16,&2003,&the&victim&of&a&serious&stroke,&apparently&brought&on&by&his&diabetes&and&the&physical&strain&of&his&lifelong&struggles&with&his&weight.&Despite&his&illness,&J&released&&Dance&with&My&Father,&&which&became&an&R&B&and&pop&Top&40&hit&and&a&gold&record,&introducing&the&album,&which&hit&number&one&on&both&charts,&a&first&for&him.&Over&the&next&year,&&Smooth&Love,&&&Think&About&You,&&&Buy&Me&a&Rose,&&and&&The&Closer&I&Get&to&You&&(a&duet&with&Beyonc&&Knowles&re-creating&the&original&version&by&Roberta&Flack&and&Donny&Hathaway)&figured&in&the&pop,&R&B,&and/or&adult&contemporary&(AC)&charts,&as&the&album&sold&over&two&million&copies.&Vandross&was&a&sentimental&favorite&at&the&2003&Grammy&Awards,&and&his&career&total&of&trophies&doubled&from&four&to&eight&as&he&won&Song&of&the&Year&and&Best&R&B&Vocal&Performance,&Male,&for&&Dance&with&My&Father,&&Best&R&B&Album,&and&Best&R&B&Performance&by&a&Duo&or&Group&with&Vocals&for&&The&Closer&I&Get&to&You.&&He&made&an&appearance&via&videotape&to&accept&his&awards&and&promised&to&return&to&action&soon.Meanwhile,&J&Records&had&kept&his&name&before&the&public&by&releasing&the&concert&collection&Live&Radio&City&Music&Hall&2003,&recorded&in&February&2003,&on&October&14,&2003;&it&reached&number&six&in&the&R&B&charts&and&number&22&in&the&pop&charts.&By&all&reports,&Vandross&continued&his&recovery&during&2004&and&into&2005;&he&even&appeared&on&Oprah&Winfrey&s&television&show&in&May&2005.&But&on&July&1,&2005,&it&was&announced&that&he&had&died,&having&&never&really&recovered&&from&his&stroke.During&his&lifetime,&Luther&Vandross&&albums&were&certified&for&sales&of&23-and-a-half-million&copies&in&the&U.S.;&estimates&of&his&total&worldwide&record&sales&were&as&high&as&40&million.&Sales,&of&course,&tell&only&part&of&the&story,&but&it&is&notable&that,&in&the&precarious&world&of&popular&music,&and&in&particular&of&the&notoriously&fickle&genre&of&R&B&and&the&difficult&category&of&crossover&pop,&Vandross&sold&records&in&the&millions&consistently&for&over&two&decades.&It&is&even&more&notable&that,&although&he&certainly&molded&his&music&to&a&certain&extent&to&meet&the&marketplace,&he&also&imposed&his&own&direction&on&R&B.&Prior&to&him,&the&popular&music&of&African-Americans&tended&to&jump&from&one&style&to&another&with&nary&a&look&backward.&But&Vandross,&coming&along&in&the&wake&of&disco&and&while&rap/hip-hop&was&in&its&infancy,&insisted&on&reverence&for&the&soul&music&of&the&recent&past&and&deliberately&reformulated&it&in&an&&old-school&&approach&that&came&to&be&known&as&the&black&AC&radio&format&&quiet&storm.&&Even&as&rap&dominated&the&charts&in&the&early&years&of&the&21st&century,&he&maintained&his&passion&for&romantic,&melodic&music,&and&he&drew&listeners&along&with&him.&His&early&death&at&the&age&of&54&robbed&American&popular&music&of&one&of&its&more&consistent&and&compelling&voices,&and&it&is&only&a&partial&comfort&that&he&left&behind&a&substantial&body&of&work.
酷我音乐多端下载
下载歌曲需要使用酷我音乐客户端操作

我要回帖

更多关于 victorluther 的文章

随机推荐