Magazine, Summer 2008 by University of Guelph - issuu
Guelph The Portico
Magazine, Summer 2008
Guelph The Portico
Magazine, Summer 2008
University of Guelph The Portico
Magazine, Summer 2008This site is the archive of Stride
magazine for
As of May 2016 Stride magazine is published at http://stridemagazine.blogspot.co.uk/
The copyright of everything published here remains the author's.
RUPERT LOYDELL is the author and editor of many books. You can read
about his Shearsman titles
his Knives Forks and Spoons titles .
Anthony Caleshu, John Daniel
and Richard Thomas reviewed
Rich Ives is embalming clouds
Martin Stannard cannot find the words
Irene Koronas is justified with
Charlie Baylis' ruined sheet of notes
Andy Green's Notes are out of order
new poems by Steve Spence
Neil Fulwood reviews Merle Bachman,
Tony Curtis and Anthony Caleshu
from White Noise 3
more words from John Phillips
Evans on Daniel Y Harris
new poems by Sarah Cave
Ian Seed's Fidelities
David Miller's Spiritual Letters (Series 6)
Mark Goodwin's broken poemDaniel Y Harris is neglecting the merged and blurred
Taylor finds the way homeMichael
Rosen and Merryn WilliamsCharlie Baylis takes the chromatic pulse
Clark Allison offers Some Notes
on Robert Sheppard's History or SleepGuy Birchard's HecatombsMax Porter's Grief is the Thing with Feathersnew haibun by Mark A. MurphyA.C. Evans gets visualCharlie Baylis is dragged gently to the shoreDavid Hart on Kim Addonizio's Wild Nights
Charlie Baylis on Pete Smith
Jane Routh on Kathleen Jamie
John Mingay writes in triplicate
Neil Fulwood on Bethany A. Pope
James Bell is stuck on the wall
David Miller's Spiritual Letters
follow Clark Allison's train of thought
meet Doctor Doubt
Joel Chace is incandescent
the lightness and darkness of living
from John Gibbens's
'London Bride'
Clark Allison on John Wilkinson
Alan Halsey on Edmund HardySimon Perchik's headlights are off
A.C. Evans on Nigel Wood's take on John Dee
Simon Collings on Vahni Capildeo
Steve Waling on Kelvin Corcoran,
Alan Halsey and Claire Crowther
Charlie Baylis on A.K. Blakemore
poems i.m. Lee HarwoodNoah Ross feels his heart
new poems by Gavin Selerie
Steve Spence on Reading Barry MacSweeney
two new titles about Sean Scully
Woodward on Sean O'Brien
Sarah Hopkins reviews Elizabeth Burns,
Mary O'Donnell and Debbie Walsh
Sue Burge makes moondogs dance
Three letters to the publisher of
Kent Johnson's I Once Met
Norman Jope is keen to stay faithful
new titles by Tim Cumming, Antony Owen,
Marc Woodward and Fani Papageorgiou
Luke Kennard's pet project
Peter Jaeger and Peter Philpott
David Hart reviews new titles
An application for Destruction
Peter Riley's DUE NORTH
Martin Anderson and John Berger
Richard Berengarten and Geoffrey O'Brien
A Kick Up the Arse of Poetic Farce
John Daniel and Jane Spiro
Brown on Wislawa Szymborska
new poems by
Damian Furniss
Ian Seed on William Wantling
Poems for the Millennium vol. 5
All Betts are off for John Mingay
Simon Collings on Rae Armantrout
Charlie Baylis reviews Annie Freud
David Grubb's Thunder Cracks the Heart
recent poetry pamphlets reviewed
Charles Simic's selected prose
John Ashbery's Breezway
Jack Clemo's Selected Poems
Richard Berengarten, Tom Chivers, Peter Sansom
Paul Sutton is a man of string
Shazea Quraishi, Kim Moore, Philip
Sarah Hopkins reviews new books by Isabel Galleymore,
Angela Gardner,
Rosie Jackson and Isabel Palmer
Jane Routh on Colin Simms' Hen Harrier Poems
new poems by Steve Spence
Charlie Baylis on Clive James' poetry
new books by Barry Tebb, Tim Allen,
Turner and Tom Jenks
David Hart on J.H. Prynne
Ian Seed's Glass Touches
More sonnets from Peter Hughes
new poems by Sarah Cave
Stephen Emmerson's Comfortable Knives
Collings is out west
Charlie Baylis' cup is for vowels
Cave on Peter Larkin
Steve Spence on Nathan Walker
Martin Caseley on John Deane
from The Co-Ordinates of Doubt
Andy Brown on Tom Raworth
Hart reviews four new titles
Jay Ramsay is echoing the smoke
Charlie Baylis on Sam Riviere
Martin Stannard is dazzled
Neil Fulwood on Iain Banks
Aiden Semmens, John Milbank, Stephen Bett
Paul Stubbs on Paul Sutton
Charlie Baylis reviews in a blur
Andy Brown on the road north
Mike Ferguson finds his Lovehearts
Steve Spence on Mark Totterdell
'Viva Exurbia' says Phillip Clement
David Grubb is painting angels
Peter Gillies reviews Steve Spence
Peter Larkin's populations of attachment
Paul Sutton interviews Rupert Loydell
new poems by Donna Pucciani
Simon Armitage and Martin Stannard take flight
Charlie Baylis is in San Francisco
Ron Riekki leans against the summer
Paul Sutton interviews Paul Stubbs
Jane Routh reviews
Chace is standing outside science
Jon Thompson's Landscape with Light
Sheila Mannix's case was not unique
Hart is doubtful
How well will you score?
Chris McCabe's latest reviewed
Peter Dent is never at a loss
we find Daniel Y Harris
Charlie Baylis on Rosemary Tonks
Steve Spence on John Muckle on British fiction
Martin Stannard on Dylan Harris and D.E. Oprava
David Pollard's Self Portraits
Lee Harwood's The Orchid Boat
Mark Strand,
David Lawrence pulls licorice from his ear
Martin Stannard kicks
the rootball
of experience into touch
Norman Jope hymns the past
Tim Allen's unsociable sonnets
'Five poets are out in coracles...'
Sarah Cave supervises
Paul Sutton braves the spotlight
new translated volumes
Belinda Cooke on the damage done
to Rory Waterman
Charlie loves Elizabeth
Phillip Clement on Tom Pickard
Norman Jope on Jay Ramsay
Martin Stannard is confused
Jope on David Stubbs on krautrock
Clement on David Harsent
Paul Sutton on Jesse Glass
Charlie Baylis on the Faber New Poets
reviewed by Geoff Sawers
Garner's Red Shift finally on DVD
Martin Caseley on Roy Fisher
Steve Spence goes to hell with Philip Terry
Andy Brown's Exurbia
from James McLaughlin's Revelation
five untitled sonnets by John Lowther
John Mingay is about to have
This is not what you are meant to be doing
new poems by Paul Sutton
Martin Stannard takes tea with Alan Halsey
Stannard on Paul Violi
Sirkka Turkka and Ihor Pavlyuk
Sam Richards and Kelvin Corcoran
Ilya Kaminsky and Jay Ramsay
from Nine Arches Press
Charlie Baylis grapples with Terror
Belinda Cooke on Thomas Kinsella's Late Poems
Phillip Clement reviews three new titles
new books from Carrie Etter, Tim Allen,
David Greenslade and Peter Dent
Poems from The Poetry Translation Centres
and Deryn-Rees Jones' Helen Thomas
Simon Jenner's Two for Joy reviewed
Hart reviews two new titles
Harvest Clarke's BABA
Ian Seed will not tolerate intruders
Belinda Cooke reviews Michael Hulse
four new Arc volumes of translated poems
John Ashbery's Collected French Translations: Prose
Alisdair Paterson reviews
new poems by Harry Guest
new books by Bill Lewis and Jay Ramsay
new books by James Davies and Nathan Thompson
Steve Spence finds it hard to navigate
David Chorlton is one of the chosen few
A DAVID MILLER SPECIAL
'A beautiful vision' says James Davies
questions, questions, questions
for David Miller
Scott Kinder-Pyle's contingency plan
compression poems by Iain Britton
new poems by Hazel Smith
Pansy Maurer-Alvarez reviewed
by Stephen Meek
Steve Spence is minding his Ps and Qs
Andy Brown on John Ashbery's translations
Martin slam dunks her trope
Davies on Scott Thurston
Carrie Etter and David Scott
new books by Alan Baker, Anne Carsons,
Ian Seed and Chrissy Williams
Tim Allen, Alasdair Paterson and Ron Silliman reviewed
Dent is making a dash for it
David Hart is curious
Surrealist poetry in Britain
Richard Berengarten's Manual
Phil Bergerson's American Artifacts
Galleymore on Falling into Place
and Maps & Legends
Simon Smith and surface dazzle
Martin Stannard is a scribbler of hope
Spence on Philip Terry's Advanced ImmortalityDavid
Kennedy on John Hall on Performance Writing
Andy Darlington behaves badly
singing and squatting poems
Andrew Taylor is tracking the movement
Paterson is Waiting for Bluebeard
Rodney Wood stretches toward the impossible
Martin Caseley reviews John Greening
Lucas catches at the ragged edge
Jenks' Streak Artefcats
David Sylvian and punk 45sIELTS Cue Card Sample 11 - A newspaper or a magazine
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a newspaper or a magazine.
You should say:
What it is and why you read it
What are the benefits of reading a newspaper or a magazine
How often you read it and what are the contents of it
and explain why do you like reading this newspaper or magazine.
Follow-up Questions:
& What do you think are the important qualities for a news reporter?
& What's the main difference between newspaper and magazine?
& What&s the function of a report to the society?
& What kinds of books/newspapers/magazines do adolescents read in your country?
& With the popularity of Internet, do you think newspapers and magazines will disappear?
Possible Answer:
I read newspaper almost every day and sometimes I purchase or borrow magazines to read as well. I'd like to describe a magazine that I usually buy each month and enjoy reading a lot. The name of this magazine is PC World which is a global computer magazine published monthly by IDG in USA. It offers advice on various aspects of PCs and related items, the Internet, and other personal-technology products and services. In each publication, PC World reviews and tests hardware and software products from a variety of manufacturers, as well as other technology related devices such as still and video cameras, audio devices and televisions.&
I have been reading this magazine for the last 6-7 years or so. It is specifically useful for people who love computers, othe software and IT related news and updates. I am doing my graduation in Computer Science and Engineering and love to learn about new hardware and software. This is a magazine that offers great hardware & software reviews, tips on advanced computing and many other useful articles.&
Reading a newspaper or a magazine is always helpful for learning new information. Newspapers provide contemporary local news, international news, editorials, entertainment, news, sports news and so on. Without reading newspapers or magazines one can't keep himself / herself updated with the latest news and views of the world. I purchase the PC World magazine every month and read it for about 7 days. Sometimes I read older versions as well to find out any particular reviews or articles. This magazine is helpful for basic, moderate and advanced computer users and techno lovers. Someone who has a computer should read it to increase his/ her knowledge on hardware and software. Even it&s helpful for those who are going to buy computers, printers, cameras, scanners, software or other hardware devices. I enjoy reading it a lot.&
Sample Answer 2:
Today I&m going to talk about one of my favourite magazines.& It&s quite fun to think about it, first I&ll tell you what it is and why I read it.& Then I&ll try and persuade you of the benefits of doing so, and a bit about how often I read it and what the contents are.& Finally, I&ll explain why I like to read it so much.
The magazine is called &Women&s Running&.& It&s a monthly publication, dedicated to helping female runners, at every level to improve their running and learn more about the sport. &
For me the benefits of reading this periodical are huge.& It has great information about running tech advertising features on new runn helpful articles on topics like &how to choose new trainers& and advice on running events and how to prepare for them.& That is great in itself, but even more importantly for me, it contains lots of human interest stories.& Real women talking about their experiences of running, why they do it and how they stay motivated, keep positive and enjoy the sport. &
Even though I do like the magazine, it is really expensive, it&s &4 a time, so I&m embarrassed to admit I don&t buy my own copy.& Instead, I have a friend who subscribes to it regularly.& Every few months she has a big clear out, and she drops off a great big bag of magazines for me to read.& I then have a binge of reading about running & which is a bit ironic really, I should be out doing it rather than reading about it!& So I don&t read it each month, but every few months I&ll have a whole weekend curled up on the sofa avidly soaking up every article.& I read each copy from cover to cover.& I like the personal accounts best.& Women talking about perhaps over-coming injuries and illnes forming friendships and achieving goals they never thought possible.& It can be really inspirational!& It makes me believe that I too can do more than I think.& Once I&ve read all the magazines I keep them for a while to refer back to, but eventually I too need to de-clutter, so I&ll pass them on to another running friend, and so the cycle continues!
Through reading the magazine I&ve started to think of myself more as part of the &running community& whatever that means!& I&ve started to realise that not everyone who takes part in running is choosing to do ultra-marathons, we can all run at our own level and still get the fitness and social benefits at whatever level you are at.& The main competition is not with other people but with yourself, other runners can support and help you whether that&s with advice on how to up your speed or distances to get a new Personal Best or agreeing to go out with you on a wet and windy night when really the sofa looks a great deal more appealing than a rain soaked pavement in winter!
[ Written by - Lucy Marris |& Careers Adviser (UK), TEFL teacher ]
Tips for answering this Cue Card Topic:
To answer this cue card, first decide if you are going to talk about a newspaper or a magazine. If you want to talk about a newspaper, decide which one you would like to talk. For the magazine you should finalize the magazine name also. Deciding a particular newspaper or magazine would help you focus on the features and characteristics of it.& There are some differences between a daily newspaper and a magazine.
If you decide to talk about the magazine focus on following points:
a) What type of magazine it is: weekly, monthly etc.
b) what's it about: Lifestyle, technology, fun, business travel, fashion etc.
c) For magazine describe the topics and issues it covers. Like a computer magazine covers the software and hardware reviews, tips on computing, tutorials, and price list etc. whereas a fashion magazine highlights the current trends in fashion, new arrivals and focus on brands.
d) Why do I read it? Entertainment, tutorials, academic or professional benefits, new recipes etc.
e) Why this magazine is better than similar other magazines? Article presentation, economic, has subscription facility, exclusive etc.
If you talk about a newspaper focus on their news presentation, editorial and overall contribution to help people get unbiased and quality news and articles.
Since, almost all the daily newspapers cover same type of news i.e. political, sports, editorial, international, business etc. you should focus less on the type of news they present. Rather emphasize what makes it a worth reading newspaper.
Part 3: Details Discussion:
Q. What do you think are the important qualities for a news reporter?
Answer: First and foremost, one of the essential characteristics a news reporter should have is passion for his work.& Academic training would be another important aspects to become a great news reporter. Next, if a news reporter has tertiary education, their knowledge will be broader and they will be specialized in the field of the news exclusively. Furthermore, experience in news agency is an important element as this factor is indispensable in every occupation and many times lead to better results. In addition, being objective, curious, passionate to excel, motivated to do something better& for people are some other important qualities of a professional news reporter. Finally, being able to judge information received on different subjects and not misinterpreting facts are two other qualities that every news reporter should have.
Q. What's the main difference between a newspaper and a magazine?
Answer: It's a really difficult question because as readers, people often think that these two are almost the same. But if we examine deeply, we will see that there are some differences indeed. First, newspapers contain short articles on current news and events and they are mostly daily and sometimes weekly publication. Magazines on the other hand, include longer articles on a variety of subjects and are weekly or monthly publication. Apart from these differences, there are some minor differences as well. For instance, magazines are smaller in size than newspapers and usually more expensive. Newspapers contain fresher contents than magazines. In addition, magazines are like a book while a newspaper is much larger in size though there is lesser number of pages than in a magazine. So we could conclude that although these two forms of print media look like the same, there are many differences between them.
Q. What's the function of a report to the society?
Answer: A report is any useful informational made with the specific intention of relaying information or recounting certain events in a widely presentable form. With regards to the function of a report, we could say in brief that it is multifunctional. Initially, it should provide information on what has to be done or needs to be done. Moreover, reports are used for keeping track of information and this action results in making decisions. Hence, they are used in different fields such as the government, business, education, science, and so on and they can be divided into categories with annual, book, demographic, inspection, military and police reports being the most know types.
Q. What kinds of books/newspapers/magazines do adolescents read in your country?
Answer: Puberty is a transitional period of life so most of children's hobbies and pastimes change during this time. As far as my country is concerned, I think that girls at adolescence read gossip and fashion magazines and novels with mainly romantic plot. Regarding boys, they read sports magazines most of the time, but there are some of them who read novels as well. When I was a teenager, my peers used to read Harry Potter books and as far as I can remember they were a mainstream. &
Tip: Adolescents in different countries read different kind of books, newspapers or magazines. Just talk about the most popular types in your country. For example you can say that boys read sports magazines, sci-fi, poetry, mystery and adventure books. With reference to girls, you can mention that they mostly read literature, romance, contemporary and beauty magazines, magazines and books about relationships.
Q. With the popularity of Internet, do you think newspapers and magazines will disappear?
Answer: That's a controversial yet important issue to discuss about. Some people believe that magazines and newspapers will continue to be publicized irrespective of Internet's rapid progress. The way we are accustomed to read a hard copy of a newspaper or a magazine will never get lost. The appeal of reading something printed is in our blood and it would not fade away very soon. However, it is undeniable that a large number of people would read it in a computer or a handheld device. There are many really large news and magazine companies that were established many years ago and they employed many workers. If printed newspapers and magazines disappear, all these corporations will automatically go bankrupt and thousands of people will be unemployed. My personal belief is that as the Internet is constantly advancing, the publication of the press will be restricted to some extent and all the major newspaper and magazine companies will have their online versions for readers. I can see for myself that I prefer reading the news online rather than buying newspapers, but that does not mean that I never buy a magazine or a newspaper to read it.
[Part 3 answers were written by Mary, UK, Economist with Main Field of Studies in Business Economics]
Use the same techniques to answer the following cue cards also:
1. Describe a magazine that you read often.
2. Describe the newspaper that you read daily.
3. Describe you favourite magazine.
IELTS Partners
IELTS Preparation Tips
IELTS Help
Useful Links
Like us on Facebook
Privacy Policy

我要回帖

更多关于 love is the answer 的文章

随机推荐