so many people allgo to s___the world by thenself.

华约自主招生6选5英语阅读理解_图文_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
华约自主招生6选5英语阅读理解
阅读已结束,下载文档到电脑
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,方便使用
还剩7页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢My View: Should everyone go to college? – Schools of Thought -
04:20 AM ET
Share this on:
By Mike Rose, Special to CNN
Editor’s note:
is an educator and author. His newest book is titled “.” He is on the faculty of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
(CNN) - College changed my life, so when I think about the question of who should go to college, I can’t help but consider it through my own experience. And what I’ve learned from teaching over the past 40 years leads me to think that my experience is not all that unusual.
I was an average student through elementary school, good at reading (which saved me), horrible at math and flat-out hopeless at tasks such as diagramming sentences. I drifted through high school, never in big trouble, but not going anywhere either. Then in my senior year, a young, charismatic English teacher gave us a crash course in Western literature, Homer through Emily Dickinson with a few modern writers thrown in. And we wrote and wrote, and he read every word - and he hooked me.
My overall academic record was dreary, but that teacher got me into a local small college on probation, where I stumbled my first year, luckily encountered some new mentors and eventually found my way.
According to data from the , people with a college degree, on average, will earn significantly more over a lifetime than people without a degree. And the benefit increases with education beyond the baccalaureate. This relation of higher education and economic advancement has been part of our cultural wisdom for generations and has contributed mightily to the nation’s increase in college attendance. But this wisdom is being challenged as tuition skyrockets, as certain white-collar occupations have become prey to computerization and outsourcing, and as the Great Recession has made so many kinds of employment vulnerable. We all know the stories of young people who are saddled with college debt and are working part time at jobs that do not require a college degree.
There are good jobs available in midlevel technical fields, in the trades and in certain services that do require training but not a four-year or even a two-year degree. The work of electricians, chefs and medical technicians cannot be outsourced. Why direct all our youth into a degree path that they might not complete (about 50%-60% of those who begin college graduate), that keeps them out of the labor market and that saddles them with debt?
Still, granted the above, the college degree on average and over time yields labor market benefits. And certain majors - for example, in technical fields, financial services, health sciences - have a strong pathway to employment. So just using an economic calculus alone, it seems that college is advisable, realizing that other good career options are open that do not require a bachelor’s degree. Researching those options would be the first order of business for students and parents looking for viable alternatives to college.
A limitation of a strictly economic focus on the college question is that it doesn’t take into account the simple but profound fact of human variability. Some young people are just not drawn to the kinds of activities that make up the typical academic course of study, no matter how well-executed. In a community college fashion program I’ve been studying, I see students with average to poor high school records deeply involved in their work, learning techniques and design principles, solving problems, building a knowledge base. Yet they resist, often with strong emotion, anything smacking of the traditional classroom, including the very structure of the classroom itself. So making the decision about college will have to blend both economics and personal interest. What does a young person want to do with his or her life?
That last sentence takes us to another aspect of the college question. While some young people are pretty clear about what they want to do with their lives, many are not. So they go to a two- or four-year college in search of a career. And some succeed. I’ve talked to so many students over the years who find their calling through a course taken to fulfill a general-education requirement: astronomy to theater. And others have their eyes opened by a job they get on campus. A young man I know in a welding program was employed in his community college’s tutoring center, and it transformed him. He’s planning to transfer to a four-year school to become a teacher. His is not an unusual story.
Discussing interests and meaningful work takes us to another big question: What is the purpose of education? It’s understandable, given our time, that the focus of discussion is on economics and employment. But historically, we’ve also demanded of our schools and colleges the fostering of intellectual, social, ethical and civic development. I come from a poor family, and college made my economic mobility possible, but I also learned how to read and write more carefully and critically, how to research new topics systematically and how to think cooperatively with other people. And whole new worlds of history, philosophy and psychology were opened up to me. What is interesting is that many people entering straightforward occupational programs - seemingly with quite different motives than those informing my liberal arts degree - also express a wide range of goals: They want to improve their reading, they want to be able to help their k they want to learn new skills and bodies of knowledge. Some of them talk about changing their lives.
A traditional two- or four-year college degree might not be right for everyone. But I do believe in the individual and social benefit of all people having the opportunity to experience what college - broadly defined - can provide: the chance to focus on learning, to spread one’s intellectual wings and test one’s limits. We certainly can learn new things in the workplace, but both the bucolic college on a hill and the urban occupational program operate without the production pressure of a job and with systematic feedback on performance - which increases the possibility of discovering new areas of talent and interest.
And that’s what education, at its best, is all about.
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mike Rose.
CNN’s Schools of Thought blog is a place for parents, educators and students to learn about and discuss what's happening in education. We're curious about what's happening before kindergarten, through college and beyond. Have a story to tell? Contact us at
Follow: @CNNSchools
Related: Student NewsCNN Student News is ten minutes of commercial-free, cost free news for middle and high school classrooms.
It is available on line on our website, as a free downloadable podcast on iTunes and on HLN at 4:00 a.m. ET weekdays during the school year.
on Twitter
Thanks for reaching out!
This high school's "Uptown Funk" video made
How can adults manage conversations with young kids about complicated issues? These lessons are tried and true.
RT : I went to a for-profit college and my degree is worthless
"Wasting time on the Internet" is now a college course. Good job! You're already earning an A!
Favorite Videos
Recent Posts
October 2012
<nWidgetBaseURI = "http://i./cnn/.element/widget"; var cnn_sharebarconfig={"url":"http:\/\/n.com\/\/my-view-should-everyone-go-to-college\/","analytics":"o","platform":"d","instances":2,"getUpdatedURL":"","plugincodes":{"facebook":"","googleplus":"","twitter":"扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
Many people go to work each day to a job they hate. The harmful feelings influence their entire life, putting a negative cloud over the home, their friends and many of their other activities. There is a better way to live your life. Meaningful purpose is a driving force that adds enthusiasm to your days. Here are a few steps to get the new career rolling: Do some self-analysis. Ask yourself -- What really matters to me? What problem or wrong would I like to fix? What do I enjoy? Where are my interests and hobbies? What are my priorities? What is my secret passion? What do I want to do with the rest of my life? Reviewing these questions can give you new insight to where you want to go.Use your unique genius and talents. Every person is born with a unique set of natural abilities. Talents, such as managing, creating, researching, training others, drawing, can all seem like easy work because you have a natural flair(才能)for them. True happiness comes from combining your natural talents, developing and excelling in them, and working in a field, job, industry that you have a passionate interest in.Make a decision. Only action can change your life. Read a book. Take vocational tests. Use a good career-management professional. Do some career exploration and gather all the information you need. Then make a decision and go forward. Outline the action steps to reach your career goal. Finding meaning, passion and purpose every day you go to work is the wonderful reward, so don’t wait any longer. Begin right now and set in motion your own plan to live a happier, more satisfying life.小题1:Which is the best title of the passage?
A.Suggestions on How to Build a More Meaningful Career
B.Steps on How to Live Happily and Comfortably
C.Do not Hate Your Job Any Longer.
D.Find Out Your Natural Talents and Make a Success.
小题2:According to the passage, by analyzing ourselves, we can
A.know the true meaning of our life
B.understand better about the career we want
C.find out our own unique genius and talents
D.improve relations with our family and friends
小题3:According to the passage, it’s easier to make success in the work which we
A.have much experience at
B.have professional knowledge about
C.have been performing for a long time
D.have a natural talent for
小题4:The purpose in writing this passage is to _____.
A.persuade people to work hard to make a happier life
B.reveal some wrong-doings at work
C.direct people to choose their career
D.give some solutions to deal with troubles at work
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
小题1:A小题2:B小题3:D小题4:C
为您推荐:
扫描下载二维码A few years ago now, a friend sent me xerox of chapter 5 of Derek Bok&#8217;s superb book . The purpose was to get me to think about whether there was something interesting to be said about the role of philosophy in a university education. Up till that point I had been somewhat interested in issues of justice in access to university, but not very interested in what universities do, or should do, once students get there. But one thing led to another, and since getting hold of a devouring the entire book, which is I can recommend thoroughly, I was hooked. I&#8217;ve been meaning to review it here for ages, and still may, but for the moment I thought I&#8217;d highlight one of the passages that has changed one small thing that I do as a professor.
Among the goals that Bok thinks universities should have for students (his main interest is in elite, or as I&#8217;ve recently seen them referred to, &#8220;Medallion&#8221;, colleges, though,much of what he says applies further down the status order of 4 year colleges) and that he thinks they underperform at pretty seriously, is preparing them for a career. He does not mean that colleges fail to provide the credentials necessary for a prestigious career (they certainly do that) nor that they fail to provide relevant education (though he is a little bit skeptical about that). Rather, he thinks that they fail to provide adequate guidance. The consequence is that students are rather ignorant of what different careers involve, what they are likely to do within them, how those careers contribute to the society, and what contribution they would make to their own wellbeing. His particular bete noir (ironically perhaps) is that smart young students with a public service ethic, as well as those who just don&#8217;t know what to do with their lives, go to Law School:
For students who begin their legal training hoping to fight for social justice, law school can be a sobering experience. While there, they learn a number of hard truths. Jobs fighting for the environment or civil liberties are very scarce. Defending the poor and powerless turns out to pay remarkably little and often to consist of work that many regard as repetitive and dull. As public interest jobs seem less promising (and law school debts continue to mount), most of these idealistic students end by persuading themselves that a large corporate law firm is the best course to pursue, even though many of them fund the specialties practiced in these firms, such as corporate law, tax law, and real estate law, both uninteresting and unchallenging&#8230;..
Imagine the social value that would be produced if these students were, instead, going into teaching and eventually leading urban schools and school districts. As Bok says, we do not yet have a case that letting students apply to Law School by default is bad for them: if they end up enjoying the life more than they would enjoy the more challenging and less well compensated life of a teacher then at least they have been well served. But:
Almost half of the young lawyers leave their firm within three years. Many complain
of having too little time with their families, and feeling tired and under pressure on most days of the week. Many more are weary of constantly having to compete for advancement with other bright young lawyers or troubled by what they regard as the lack of redeeming social value in their work. Within the profession as a whole, levels of stress, alcoholism, divorce, suicide and drug abuse are all substantially above the national average.
Bok makes as compelling a case as is possible in the absence of evidence of a kind which, I suspect, would be his observations certainly fit exactly with my own experience.
So how has this made me change my behaviour? I have written a lot of letters of recommendation for students to go to Law School. Getting a letter of recommendation from me requires submitting a package of materials and meeting with me to discuss one&#8217;s goals and the process.
Before reading Our Underachieving Colleges, despite my serious reservations about the profession (I&#8217;ve known a fair number of lawyers, and I&#8217;ve known
who really enjoyed the job), I never tried to dissuade anyone. I still don&#8217;t (just for the CT reader whom I did dissuade, you know, don&#8217;t you, that I was not trying). But I do ask them, straight out, &#8220;why do you want to go to Law School?&#8221;. I am amazed how many students sit there dumbstruck, having never seemed to have given it any thought. I also ask whether they have talked to some lawyers about their jobs, and am similarly amazed how few have done so. Of course, by the time they are asking for a letter it is a bit late to be trying to help them think about a career. But the responses I&#8217;ve had suggest to me that Bok&#8217;s thesis holds for my institution at least&#8212;and that the way we go about thinking about preparing students for a career is extremely laissez faire&#8212;much more so than is good for the students, and more than they, who mostly would appreciate some gentle, disinterested, guidance, want.
I&#8217;m curious how other people approach writing letters for Law School (or Medical School, or whatever), and whether my experience is idiosyncratic.
Share this:
Book Events
Lumber Room

我要回帖

更多关于 so many people all 的文章

随机推荐