为什么不可以粘贴可以有it‘s they

They know it’s Christmas
Resize Text
Today marks the release of a new version of “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” a charity single released by Bob Geldof’s Band Aid 30 in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the original 1984 song. The first release was created to raise money for a then-unfolding famine in Ethiopia. The slightly-rewritten 2014 version is designed to raise funds for the Ebola crisis in West Africa. Early sales numbers indicate that the single is. It raised $1.6 million dollars in pre-orders a few moments after the song premiered on a British television program Sunday night. “Do They Know It’s Christmas” is also, for the moment, the top-selling song on iTunes. While raising money for a cause like Ebola is generally a good thing, like many who study Africa, I’m skeptical of this effort. Band Aid’s efforts betray an ignorance of Africa and perpetuate negative stereotypes and the “White Savior” narrative. Moreover, those who purchase the single or make other donations to Band Aid have no assurance that their money will be used well. 1. They know it’s Christmas. People in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone definitely know it’s Christmas, because many of them are Christian. The latest round of Afrobarometer surveys found that in a weighted sample of respondents in Liberia,
while about 54 percent identify as Muslim. In Guinea, , while 89 percent are Muslim. The fact that West Africa is religiously diverse and some areas are predominantly Muslim, however, gives us no reason to expect widespread ignorance of the fact that Christmas exists and that celebrations of Christmas occur during a specific season, or think that Muslims in Guinea and Sierra Leone are generally unaware when their Christian neighbors celebrate Christmas. This notion is supported not least by the fact that Christmas is a public holiday in both and . 2.
The song is demeaning. The original version
was awash in negative stereotypes of Africa and the Ethiopian people Live Aid purported to help. The song treated Africa as an homogeneous place, “where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow” and “where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears.” It also claimed that “there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmastime,” a factual inaccuracy that betrayed the lyricists’ ignorance of both basic
and . In addition to conflating an entire continent with one country, Band Aid’s portrayal of the crisis ignored the man-made dimensions of Ethiopia’s 1984 people were starving not simply because of the regional drought, but because of direct interference by governing officials who used starvation to punish the ethnic groups they considered to be political enemies. The 30-year anniversary version features rewritten
that somehow manage to be even more inaccurate than the original ones were. Let’s start with these lines: There’s a world outside your window, and it’s a world of dread and fear Where a kiss of love can kill you, and there’s death in every tear And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom. The idea that no one in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea will be celebrating Christmas, or that “Christmas bells…are the clanging chimes of doom” it betrays a total ignorance of the importance of Christianity in each country’s culture, the sense of joy and celebration that can arise among all people even in the most dire of circumstances, and the fact that most West Africans – even in the Ebola outbreak zone – are not in fact suffering from Ebola. While the epidemic is serious and has affected far too many people, it has still affected very small percentages of each country’s population. The latest
counts a total of 14,413 confirmed cases of Ebola that can be traced to the West African outbreak. In the case of each of the three most heavily-affected countries, far less than 1 percent of each country’s population has been diagnosed with the disease.
Ebola infection rate data: ; Population data:
We know that the number of confirmed cases does not reflect the actual number of people infected with Ebola in the course of this outbreak. But even if we were to quintuple the number of cases in each country, the epidemic has still only affected 1 percent or less of each country’s population. This point is not meant to diminish the severity or seriousness of the outbreak in any way, nor should we let slip from our minds for even a moment the tragedy of the 5,177 lives already lost to Ebola. It is, however, important to understand that lyrics like “there’s death in every tear” are completely inaccurate. Moreover, for the typical consumer of pop music who might download the Band Aid track without doing much background research, it gives the incorrect impression that everyone in West Africa (the affected states are never actually named in the song) is spreading Ebola with every tear shed for the lives lost. “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” is othering. It treats “Africans” as an homogeneous whole of diseased people who are suffering without help from outsiders. As we have
spreading such inaccurate and misleading information can lead to dangerous prejudice and discrimination against people of African descent, affecting their employment opportunities, health, and safety. 3. It mostly ignores Africans & their efforts to fight Ebola. Of the 30 artists who participated in recording “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” 2014, , Angelique Kidjo, is African. The song perpetuates the myth of the
portraying Africans as passive and helpless people in need of external assistance from white people in the global north. This is not reflective of reality. “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” ignores
working to fight the virus and the countless, heroic health workers who have been on the front lines of the epidemic since it began. 4. We don’t know where the money’s going.
It turns out to be pretty difficult to get any solid information on where funds raised from the sale of “Do They Know It’s Christmas” are going.
Buried in the Band Aid Web site’s , we learn that, “All proceeds from the Band Aid 30 competition will be donated to the intervention and prevention of the spread of Ebola.” Setting aside the question of how this effort constitutes a “competition,” donors are being asked to put a tremendous amount of trust in the organization. is still listed as “relief of hunger and poverty in Ethiopia and the neighbourhood thereof.”
From available evidence, it appears that the Trust has not yet decided to whom to give the funds donors have been told will be used to fight Ebola. Band Aid might give the funds to reputable aid agencies like those in the
or . Or they might not. Donors to this effort have no guarantees that their funds will be well spent. This is particularly problematic with an organization like Band Aid whose record of effectiveness is questionable. As Peter Gill shows in his book “ Ethiopia’s authoritarian Derg regime often attempted to manipulate NGO activities to serve government aims its forced resettlement schemes that exacerbated the effects of the famine. There is a over whether Band Aid did more good or harm, or whether the unintended consequences of its efforts killed as many people as it saved.
There are also
that some of the money raised for Ethiopians through the Band Aid/Live Aid efforts actually paid for weapons that caused further harm in the region. As of this writing, donors have no assurances from Band Aid that their money will be used well. What should a person of good will who wants to help those suffering from Ebola do? Skip the bad music and give directly to , , or another reputable organization. Even better,
through Africa Responds, which channels resources to pre-vetted community organizations.
The Band Aid single will raise a lot of money, and we can hope that the charities selected to benefit from it will use those resources better than they were used the first time around. But this is not the most effective way to help. It isn’t worth the “othering” of Africans – and the very real dangers people of African ancestry living all over the world face as a result of such negative stereotypes.
Laura Seay is an Assistant Professor of Government at Colby College. She studies African politics, conflict, and development, with a focus on central Africa. She has also written for Foreign Policy, The Atlantic, Guernica, and Al Jazeera English.
Continue reading
SuperFan Badge SuperFan badge holders consistently post smart, timely comments about Washington area sports and teams.
Culture Connoisseur Badge Culture Connoisseurs consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on the arts, lifestyle and entertainment.
Fact Checker Badge Fact Checkers contribute questions, information and facts to .
Washingtologist Badge Washingtologists consistently post thought-provoking, timely comments on events, communities, and trends in the Washington area.
Post Writer Badge This commenter is a Washington Post editor, reporter or producer.
Post Forum Badge Post Forum members consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on politics, national and international affairs.
Weather Watcher Badge Weather Watchers consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on climates and forecasts.
World Watcher Badge World Watchers consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on international affairs.
Post Contributor Badge This commenter is a Washington Post contributor. Post contributors aren’t staff, but may write articles or columns. In some cases, contributors are sources or experts quoted in a story.
Post Recommended Washington Post reporters or editors recommend this comment or reader post.
You must be logged in to report a comment.
You must be logged in to recommend a comment.
To pause and restart automatic updates, click "Live" or "Paused". If paused, you'll be notified of the number of additional comments that have come in.
Spam Offensive Disagree Off-Topic
Success! Check your inbox for details.
Please enter a valid email address
You might also like:
Our Online Games Play right from this page
Next StoryPatrick J. Egan &
monkey-cage
You might also like:
Name of Related Newsletter (daily)
Another Related Newsletter (M-W-F)
This Newsletter is Good (weekly)
Incorrect emailWHAT`S THE PRIZE OF THE PANTS如何回答 使用IT IS还是THEY ARE 为什么选择这个答案?囧TZ错了就是询问裤子的价格可能拼写有误_百度作业帮
WHAT`S THE PRIZE OF THE PANTS如何回答 使用IT IS还是THEY ARE 为什么选择这个答案?囧TZ错了就是询问裤子的价格可能拼写有误
囧TZ错了就是询问裤子的价格可能拼写有误
裤子是以复数表示 因为是两个裤统 所以 一般是说One pair of pants are fifty dollars.在此 是以pair为单位 所以 应该回答These pants are fifty dollars.
what's只是对的价格所以用单数,你回答的是裤子的价格,所以应该用they are 回答,因为裤子一般都是以复数形式出现的完成句子。1. It’s not just because they ____________(不能理解它是什么意思).2. F 2 F ____________百度知道
完成句子。1. It’s not just because they ____________(不能理解它是什么意思).2. F 2 F ___________
I think teenagers should be allowed to ____________ (与朋友们外出).7. F 2 F ____________(表示面对面). My life ____________ (有了很大的改变)in the last few years.3.4
完成句子. I get nervous before big parties and then I ____________(出皮疹), we should be allowed to ____________(设计自己的校服). 9。1. It isn’t good to borrow your friends’ books ____________(未经允许). It’s not just because they ____________(不能理解它是什么意思).8.2.5. I don’t think twelve-year-olds should be allowed to ____________ (穿耳洞).10.6. If we can’t wear our own clothes. What do you think I should tell ____________(其余的学生). Homophone often use letters and numbers that ____________(听起来像单词或单词的一部分)
提问者采纳
without permission9;&&& 8;&nbsp,pimple表示疱疹的含义. without为介词表示无或不带有的含义. get pimples&nbsp,or表示或者的含义,故本句空格处填stands for face to face. the rest of表示其余的含义;&nbsp。 3;&nbsp,故本句空格处填 has changed a lot,parts of word表示单词的一部分。7. get表示得到或获得的含义;&&&nbsp. F为face的缩写;2,a lot 修饰动词表示多的含义. the rest of the students&&&nbsp,permission为名词允许的含义. has changed a lot
1。&&&&nbsp,结构为has+动词改变的过去分词changed,stand for是代表或表示的含义;&nbsp. get their ears pierced 5;&&&&&&nbsp. stands for face to face 3.本题为现在完成时,理解后跟的是一个宾语从句,故本句空格处填go ou& 6;&nbsp。&&10;&&&&nbsp.sound like表示听起来像的含义;&&nbsp。&&&&nbsp,pierce为穿孔的含义;&&nbsp. design为设计的含义;&nbsp,故本句空格处填get pimples,故本句空格处填without permission,故本句空格处填 rest of the students,face to face表示面对面的含义;&4;&&&&&&8. design our own uniforms7。 5;&&nbsp。9;&nbsp,使用what加句子的正常顺序;&&&&&&&nbsp. sound like words or parts of word&nbsp,后跟动词原形理解的单词&6,故本句空格处填des 2;&nbsp,故本句空格处填can’t comp 10. can’t表示不能的含义,故本句空格处填get their ears pierced,our own uniforms为我们自己制服的含义;&&nbsp,mean是意思的含义; 4;&nbsp。&nbsp,with their friends表示和他们的朋友一起的含义,故本句空格处填 sound like words or parts of word. go out为出去的含义;&nbsp. get+名词+动词的过去分词表示把某事完成;&&nbsp。&&&&nbsp. go out with their friends&nbsp. can’t comprehend what it means&nbsp
其他类似问题
完成句子的相关知识
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁问题分类:初中英语初中化学初中语文
当前位置: >
1.On my birthday my parents told me they had my&gift& outside in the back yard. At once I rushed out to the yard. There was my bike,but it wasn’t the bike (that I thought it would be.) This one was pink, old and worn with age.请问此段中outside是作什么词性?括号内是什么从句?讲一下这个从句的结构.
2. It was so disappointing! I thought I&hurt my parents’ feelings because I could see the disappointment on their faces and I was sure they could see it on mine. I &got on&the old bike and rode it, (feeling bad that I had made my parents feel this way.) 请问此段中括号内的怎样译? 还有feeling为什么要加ing ? .this way指什么?
3.&They gave me a life lesson about&love &When you give something out of love, it doesn’t matter what it is in fact. What matters is the love that is in it. 请译这个句子,另give out of 是什么意思?
4.&Do remember, a gift that cost two dollars isn’t any less valuable(有价值的)than one that costs one hundred dollars, or even more.译这个句子?另any less 是什么意思?
5.what's the weather like in winter in Beijing?请问:天气怎么样为什么不是how而是what?怎样区分这两个特殊疑问词?
6.汉译英: 一些老人还没有习惯生活的变化.some old people haven't ()()()()()()().
7. would you mind my watch videos on the Internet now? 请问为什么是my watch videos
而不是me to watch videos?
悬赏雨点:25 学科:【】
请您或[登录]之后查看最佳答案
暂无回答记录。后使用快捷导航没有帐号?
只需一步,快速开始
LOL妹子杯3月报名 30W巨奖等你拿!外星人体验中心正式上线招募 来者购机送150
笔记本推荐
网友爱推荐
小编爱推荐
24小时关注排行
最热精华帖
笔记本使用感受
虽然自己算不上一个真正的小黑粉,但是对thinkpad这样一个...
昨天朋友说要买个本子,放在办公室的,用来玩玩LOL...
或许因为太多人对于低压U的偏见,性能低发热却不低...
在整个文章开篇之前,简单说下本款产品的所属系列...
平板使用感受
能用双系统的平板,哪自然是更好不过的事情了...
初次拿到机器时没有眼前一亮的感觉,不过机器拿在手中质感很强,而且增加了摩擦力,耐滑耐磨...
从K800不堪用,到K900的硬朗,风格化,再到S8的好用,艳丽和给人深刻印象...
上周五参加了“板友会”的福利团购,用了2499块大洋...
笔记本教程
还在犹豫的筒子抓紧,通过戴尔直销购买M3800或T5810工作站,即享最高千元优惠及礼包,晒单更有好礼!即可拨打客服获取优惠!最后一周别错过!

我要回帖

更多关于 为什么不可以粘贴 的文章

随机推荐