Do you like your job?
What do you like or dislike about it? | A conversation
Glendale, CA
United States
Alumnus, academy of achievement
This conversation is closed.
Do you like your job?
What do you like or dislike about it?
Maria was cutting my hair, and I asked if she liked her job.
She said very much, quite exciting to cut hair.
Asked what she liked about it, she said she enjoys working with the different textures of hair, fine, medium, and thick.
Unexpected and interesting answer.
I hope she was being straight with me, if she actually dislikes cutting hair possibly she would not want to say it to someone whose hair she is now cutting?
Also interested in how you feel about jobs you've had in the past.
If you don't like your job, is there anything you could do to make it better?Took this out -->
Posted December 5th, 2008 in . Tags: , , .
My mother always tells me to bundle up before I go outside during the winter, because otherwise I’ll “catch a cold.” When I first learned about the
of disease, I thought she was wrong. Cold doesn’t make you sick, I thought. Germs make you sick.
Recently, it’s become obvious that I was wrong and she was right. Germs are responsible for disease, but it’s crucial to remember that germs are everywhere. Our immune systems are constantly fighting these microscopic invaders. In fact, we’re probably infected with the common cold to some extent even when we don’t show any symptoms.
During the flu season of 2005, an
was performed to test the idea that being cold can make you sick. 90 people kept their feet in a bowl of ice water for 20 minutes, while a control group of 90 people put their feet in an empty bowl for 20 minutes. Over the next 5 days, 29% of the group with chilled feet developed cold symptoms, compared to only 9% of the control group.
Professor Eccles explained this effect by saying that our bodies restrict blood flow to the extremities when we get cold to help conserve body heat for the torso and brain, which really need to be warm. Cutting off the blood flow reduces the supply of
which are the immune system’s primary weapon against germs.
While his explanation makes sense, there may be a more general effect at work. The human body is a machine that accepts fuel in the form of food, and uses that fuel’s energy to keep us warm and to power our immune systems, muscles and brains. However, in frigid conditions our bodies have probably evolved to say “who cares if I might get sick tomorrow when I might die of hypothermia in an hour?”
In other words, the optimal survival strategy during bitterly cold conditions is probably to divert energy normally used by the immune system into keeping our bodies warm.
whose bodies didn’t make this sacrifice weren’t as susceptible to disease in the long run, but that didn’t matter because they dropped dead of hypothermia before they could enjoy their good health. So that survival strategy would be eliminated by .
Anyway, the point is I was wrong, and my mother was right. Sorry, Mom!
Last modified October 2nd, 2013
Leave a reply
Related articles
I used to go scuba diving, but I routinely got seasick on the boat. Since I had nothing better to do while leaning over the water, I wondered why I had to go through this wretched experience. I understood the origins of physical pain– an animal that didn’t realize it...
Recently, I’ve started to wonder why pigeons bob their heads in such a violent manner when they walk. This habit seems like it consumes a lot of calories… don’t they need every bit of energy in order to fly? I don’t understand why natural selection hasn’t bred pigeons that walk...
Latest update
Categories
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of Giants. &&Isaac Newton
was created using .

我要回帖

更多关于 very good 的文章

随机推荐