the men did most of the fishingdid是什么意思思

Fly-Fishing the 41st: From Connecticut to Mongolia and Home Again: A Fisherman's Odyssey: James Prosek: 4: : Books
Windows Phone
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
List Price: $14.99
Save: $11.49
+ $3.99 shipping
Only 7 left in stock.
Add to Cart
Get it as soon as
Tuesday, April 18 when you choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.
To see addresses, please
Use this location:
Please enter a valid US zip code.
Please enter a valid US zip code.
Add to List
Sorry, there was a problem.
There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Please try again.
+&Free Shipping
big_river_books
+&$3.99&shipping
Mesilla Internet
& FREE Shipping on eligible orders.
Have one to sell?
Flip to back
Flip to front
Playing...
You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Fly-Fishing the 41st: From Connecticut to Mongolia and Home Again: A Fisherman's Odyssey
& February 17, 2004
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
for this author
Are you an author?
"Please retry"
The New York Times has called James Prosek "the Audubon of the fishing world," and in Fly-Fishing the 41st, he uses his talent for descriptive writing to illuminate an astonishing adventure. Beginning in his hometown of Easton, Connecticut, Prosek circumnavigates the globe along the 41st parallel, traveling through Spain, Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, China, and Japan. Along the way he shares some of the best fishing in the world with a host of wonderfully eccentric and memorable characters.
Frequently bought together
Total price: $37.62
Add all three to Cart
Add all three to List
Buy the selected items togetherThis item:Fly-Fishing the 41st: From Connecticut to Mongolia and Home Again: A Fisherman's Odyssey by James Prosek Paperback $3.50 Ships from and sold by ThriftTaco.$3.99 shipping
by James Prosek Hardcover $23.80 Ships from and sold .FREE Shipping on orders over $25.
by James Prosek Hardcover $10.32 Ships from and sold by stressfreesalesUSA.$3.99 shipping
Page 1 of 1
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Hardcover$23.80
Hardcover$10.32
Paperback$10.79
Hardcover$8.99
Hardcover$7.36
Hardcover$14.98
Editorial Reviews
“James Prosek has eloquently demonstrated that angling is a kind of universal language: he has taken us on an unforgettable journey.”” (Thomas McGuane, author of The Cadence of Grass and The Longest Silence: A Life in Fishing)“Resonant and lyrical..stunning slices of imagery that linger in the mind.” (Kirkus Reviews)“A hit.” (BookPage)“Refreshing...Prosek’s passion and earnest investigation more than make up for any absence of tall fish tales.” (Publishers Weekly)“Fresh, engaging, and intensely interesting. A joy to read.” (Annie Proulx)“The travelogue format of Fly-Fishing the 41st keeps things jumping.” (Men's Health)“Prosek’s enthusiasm for fish by no means blinds him to the charms and eccentricities of the places he goes.” (Booklist)
About the Author
James Prosek is a writer and artist. Dubbed “the Audubon of the fishing world” by the New York Times, his books include Trout, The Complete Angler, and Fly-Fishing the 41st. He lives in Easton, Connecticut.
NO_CONTENT_IN_FEATURE
Browse award-winning titles.
Product details
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Harper P Reprint edition (February 17, 2004)
Language: English
ISBN-13: 978-
Product Dimensions:
5.3 x 0.8 x 8 inches
Shipping Weight: 10.4 ounces ()
Average Customer Review:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,194,725 in Books ()
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to ?
2 star0%1 star0%Share your thoughts with other customersTop Customer ReviewsByFormat: Kindle Edition|Verified PurchaseJust finished reading the Kindle version of this book. As a flyfisherman who lives on the 40th in Colorado this book was like opening the door to the world in a way that is familiar and resonant. I may never travel around the world on my latitude but I already have in my mind, the images and stories and people described in a manner that makes it easy to transport one's self. I might just read this one again.ByFormat: Paperback|Verified PurchaseWith thoughtful and personal writing James introduces you to a great cast of real characters and the remote places he travels to find trout and other fish on the 41st parallel. This is my second book by James Prosek and both were immediately captivating and worthy recommendations.ByFormat: Paperback|Verified PurchaseI bought this as a gift to my husband so I can't really rate it, although I do see him perusing it which is why I gave it a good rating.ByFormat: PaperbackTry as I might, I can't dislike this book or its author.James Prosek comes from a Connecticut village so wealthy it ranks above Greenwich, the unironically preppy town on Long Island Sound where Old Money congregates to breed those children from the Ralph Lauren ads who you want to drown before they grow up to out-source your nephew's job while taking a bonus for gutting the pension fund.Prosek sold his first book while
a junior at Yale. (I know, I rolled my eyes, too.)He's a fine painter who can also write. (Seriously? Stop hogging all the talent)Ruggedly handsome. (Hide your wife).So much privilege. Or so I thought.I am guilty of the occasional hate-read and I bought the book expecting him to be the latest "I know Perk Perkins" d-bag who drops the name of the scion of the Orvis fishing snobwear firm while describing their latest trip to a salmon lodge on the Test river with Buckley Coddington III and his hedge fund partner Remington Koch. The leather elbow patches types give fly fishing a bad name.Instead, the James Prosek of this book is the best kind of trout bum: sworn to fun, loyal to none who get in the way of the next expedition to the hatch or waters he just learned about.I bought the book at a tag sale and quickly shifted from hate-reading it to stealing time from more responsible pursuits to dive back in.The entire premise of this book is the ultimate trout bum boondoggle.On the strength of his youthful publishing success (his book of trout paintings exceeded all expectations, making him a hero of the midtown Manhattan publishing clique) he talked a publisher into paying him for a book about fishing around the world on his home 41st Parallel.Heading east, his success as a painter and his genuine love of fishing lands him in the company of a series of trout bums from Paris to Austria to Turkey, the 'stans and Japan.It's true, there are passages that sound like something from a rarified undergraduate liberal arts writing assignment.But most of the book is excellent travel writing, good fishing writing and astonishingly blunt descriptions of the people he meets and befriends along the way. That may be the central charm of the book: truth-telling is way more interesting than the usual temptation of fishing and travel writers to cast everyone and everything in the best-possible light.So, if you're a dirt-bag fly fisher who has dismissed Prosek as a Madison Avenue confection, guess again.It's a careful book about a dream fishing trip with interesting characters and the kind of hare-brained expeditions trout bums specialize in.I have to confess, sometimes the worst snob is a reverse snob like me.ByFormat: Kindle EditionThis is a book about fishing and trout only on the surface. What this really is is a book about time travel through visiting the world. Only metaphorically, of course, as all the travel is very real and totally done around the year 2000 and this is non-fiction. The year is important because when you read the book, you continually have to remind yourself this is
a contemporary travel tale at the turn not of the twentieth but the twenty-first century. And, the book travels the 41st Latitude which takes it through the heart of world civilization. So much of the world lives as they did in the past. Even Europe, for those who have not gone there, lives mostly like America in the 1940's. Only Japan lives the 21st century as the USA does, and even they mix that with the 16th century. But for most of the people of the 41st latitude, the year moves between 1100 and 1930. That is the real fascination of this travel book. If you care nothing for fishing or trout, that is no problem as to being fascinated by this book. The book does not preach or get political at all. It is, after all, a book about some people with an obsession - the obsession to be naturalists in pursuit of the description of native trout. But as observers and explorers have always done, the book about the natural world can be and often is the best and most accurate description of the human world. Read this book and travel the sliding scale of time along the 41st Latitude.ByFormat: PaperbackTravelogue of fly fisherman, artist, author James Prosek who circumnavigates the globe along the 41st parallel fishing and recording rare species of native trout.
Prosek writes of wine, women, fishing and fellowship in a casual, loosely structured style...what more could a man want in a quick read?
Johannes, his Austrian friend, figures largely in this book because he must--he is a unique character to say the least.
At times, however, there is a little too much focus on those around the author, Johannes especially, and too little introspection.
Kudos are due to Prosek however for his sensitive and open-minded treatment of the various cultures he is presented Also, for not trying to make some grand declaration of self-discovery.
Prosek simply lets this book be what it ought to be.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Amazon Giveaway allows you to run promotional giveaways in order to create buzz, reward your audience, and attract new followers and customers.
This item: Fly-Fishing the 41st: From Connecticut to Mongolia and Home Again: A Fisherman's Odyssey
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.
After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.
Pages with related products.
See and discover other items:

我要回帖

更多关于 did是什么意思 的文章

随机推荐