youwe have a good timetime to teach is not free is to teach m

This is the second in a series of blog posts in which I’ll present a range of activities that can be used in class with minimal – or even no – preparation at all. Most of these activities revolve around reviewing or extending grammar structures, and as such are designed to be as flexible as possible and thus usable in many different situations.
so that they work in a more meaningful and motivational way in your language class. This time I consider what to do when faced with making gap fills that we find in books more meaningful and how to inspire some creative thinking when completing them.
What is DO IT?
They like to DO IT, DO IT!
DO IT is a fantastically simple way of enhancing the creative thought processes that are perhaps overlooked when preparing for exams. The acronym stands for ‘Define’ problems, be ‘Open’ to many possible solutions, ‘Identify’ the best solution and then ‘Transform’ it into effective action. While this formula lends itself to problems that require a great deal of input and creative thinking, this same process can be applied to simple gap fill grammar exercises.
Applying it to our context
I’ve never worked in any educational institution that hasn’t used a gapped text to test learners’ knowledge of verb tenses. Whether that’s a good or bad thing isn’t something I’m going to discuss in this post, it’s just a fact. Consequently, I imagine many of you reading this are in a similar position. Let’s take a look at how we can apply DO IT to helping students crack this task! So, what are the steps involved?
‘Define’ the problem There’s a gap in the text which needs to be filled with the verb in its correct form.
Be ‘Open’ to many possible solutions Let’s identify every possible correct answer based on what we know.
‘Identify’ the best solution Looking at our available options, which one works best?
‘Transform’ it into effective action Fill in the gap
Ok, so this doesn’t sound particularly innovative or interesting, but you’re already on your way to helping your learners think about this task in a more creative way.
Where it gets a bit tricky for you as the teacher
To be honest, this is where you’re going to have to put in a little bit more work than making a set of photocopies to distribute among your class. It’ll be worth it, though. Firstly, decide on your format. You can write this up on the board during the class (I did say this was a low-prep activity), or maybe you could create a PowerPoint or other such presentation if the mood takes you (to save you time, you can download a PPT I created for this particular short gap fill ). Secondly, break up your gap fill into smaller chunks. I’ll explain why in a minute. This might work best with an example. Consider this mini-paragraph:
Frederick __________ (work) in five different countries. He worked in Vietnam in 2003, China in 2005, Singapore in 2007, Malaysia in 2009 and Sri Lanka in 2011. He __________ (die) on 12th January and __________ (bury) several days later.
I think we could imagine our learners getting a task like this, so let’s see how we can make this into a DO IT activity. As I just mentioned, you need to break it up! Let’s see how this looks with just the first sentence.
Frederick __________ (work) in five different countries.
Now, apply your DO IT formula.
D: There’s a gap in the text which needs to be filled with the verb ‘to work’ in its correct form.
O: Let’s identify every possible correct answer based on what we know (works, is working, has worked, will work, has been working, worked, etc.).
I: Looking at our available options, which one works best? We can speculate, but it’s difficult to say at present.
T: This is too soon for us to take action!
Believe it or not, we’ve made good progress. The action of working on the ‘O’ has got the learners thinking creatively about this problem. Let’s see what they do now, with a little bit more information.
Frederick __________ (work) in five different countries. He worked in Vietnam in 2003, China in 2005, Singapore in 2007, Malaysia in 2009 and Sri Lanka in 2011.
How does our DO IT look?
D: There’s a gap in the text which needs to be filled with the verb ‘to work’ in its correct form.
O: Let’s identify every possible correct answer based on what we know, which is now more (works (probably not, given that the next sentence contextualizes Frederick’s experiences), is working (again, probably not for the same reason), has worked (possible… even probable based on what we know so far), will work (maybe… but look at the context again), has been working (possible), worked (again, possible), etc.).
I: Looking at our available options, which one works best? We can speculate with a bit more accuracy, but it remains difficult to say at present. Present perfect looks a good bet, given what we know about starting with a description of life experience before shifting to past tense to describe specific instances. Let’s wait and see, eh!
T: This is still too soon for us to take definite action!
We’ve now made good progress. We’re looking at the big picture and thinking creatively about what is and isn’t possible as an answer. Let’s now take it that final step.
Frederick __________ (work) in five different countries. He worked in Vietnam in 2003, China in 2005, Singapore in 2007, Malaysia in 2009 and Sri Lanka in 2011. He __________ (die) on 12th January and __________ (bury) several days later.
How does our DO IT look?
O: Let’s identify every possible correct answer based on what we know, which is now the whole picture (worked).
I: Looking at our available options, simple past is clearly the best.
T: Let’s take definite action and fill that gap!
Benefits of DO IT
This extremely simple technique activates, accelerates and strengthens learners’ innate creative problem-solving ability as well as stimulating the creation of diverse ideas. Learners often have difficulty identifying the bigger picture in exercises like this, and this exercise allows them access to the thought processes that native speakers go through when confronted with such a task. Let me know how it goes If you use this technique, please let me know how it goes for you. I’m always interested in hearing how activities work in different contexts.
This is the first in a series of blog posts in which I’ll present a range of activities that can be used in class with minimal – or even no – preparation at all. Most of these activities revolve around reviewing or extending grammar structures, and as such are designed to be as flexible as possible and thus usable in many different situations.
First up we look at a way of personalizing gap fill exercises so that they work in a more meaningful and motivational way in your language class.
The personalized gap fill
Gap fills are probably the most common type of exercise in the language classroom. Nevertheless, they are also the most boring and uninspiring. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be that way. It’s very easy to add a personal touch to gap fills so as to bring them to life and make them much more enjoyable activities. Here are a few simple suggestions that will make your students want to fill in the gaps again and again.
What do you need?
If you want to do this in the simplest way possible all you need is a pen and a board. Alternatively, you can use the
that I’ve created to do the same thing.
Personalizing your gap fill will have a positive effect on your class!
Setting things up for version 1
Basically, you are going to write about 6 to 8 sentences on the board using the target grammar structure with the gaps for your learners to fill in.
Write the words that they need to complete the sentences at the top of the board.
Use student names and details about them in your sentences.
Learners copy down the sentences, fill in the gaps with the words and then decide if they are true or false.
Let’s imagine how this works with a few examples using various grammar structures. This activity is particularly effective for verb tenses, adjectives or adverbs, comparatives, or even modal verbs. Here are a few examples featuring ‘Adam’, who is one member of the class:
Focus on simple present verb forms
Adam __________ in Istanbul.
In this example the learner adds the verb (lives / studies / has lunch) that expresses something meaningful in this context.
Focus on simple present habits
Adam __________ every morning.
Adam goes to the gym __________.
In this example the learner selects the action (eats breakfast / goes jogging) or the adverb phrase (every day / once a month) that expresses something meaningful in this context.
Focus on simple past
Adam __________ when he was a teenager.
In this example the learner chooses the action (went to Paris / played rugby) that expresses something meaningful in this context.
Focus on simple past times
Adam visited Holland __________.
In this example the learner adds the time phrase (in 1998 / last year) that expresses something meaningful in this context.
Focus on simple relative clauses
Adam is the person who __________.
In this example the learner completes the relative clause (comes from England / speaks Turkish) that expresses something meaningful in this context.
There are many more things you can do with this, but these examples are enough to get you started!
The thing about this is that, even though it’s personalized to your learners, it is still very much teacher led. Let’s look at a second version which places more of the responsibility of the learners to create the activity.
Setting things up for version 2
This time, put learners into groups.
Only provide a stem of the sentence, which they will then need to complete.
Basically, each group is going to write about 6 to 8 sentences about themselves using the target grammar structure.
Students use their names and details in their sentences, making sure about half are true and half are false.
They can share their sentences with the other groups.
Each group listens and ostensibly plays a game of true or false.
Download the handout
If you would like to use the handout I’ve made, feel free to download it by clicking . I’ve formatted it in the first is based on the
the second focuses on simp the third uses ‘…is the person who…’, the final version is an empty version. Use these as they are or adapt them just stop relying on the gap fill in the book!
Well… here we go again with the eighth part of this series of posts looking at your early career as a language teacher and how to make the most of this time. We’ll continue where I left off in the first six posts by examining common problems for newly qualified language teachers.
In the previous posts, I’ve looked at , how to , how to , how to make sure
isn’t a bad one, some advice on
a discussion on , some thoughts on how we can,as well as a provocative post titled ‘.’
The fact that this series has gone on as long as it has is mainly thanks to my ‘co-conspirator’ Phil Wade, who, in his fourth guest post looks at how ‘people make the class‘.
Teaching is all about people and people change. They have good days and bad days and… anything in the middle. As a teacher, this includes you. So, if you think about the likelihood of you being on top form, being in a great mood and having your mojo working and the chance of that happening at the exact same time as each and every one of the 20 students in your class being happy, receptive, eager to learn, able to focus and do the work and generally be active in your process, well, I think those chances are pretty slim.
‘Classroom’ by Linda Pospisilova from #ELTPics
This then leads us to consider the classroom as a group of people and not just a room where a ‘teacher’ comes and races through some exercises and ‘student’s do them and leave. Just imagine if an alien came to your school and watched your class. It would seem a bit weird perhaps. There is certainly a persona or role that the teacher and the students adopt. For the teacher, it is that they are in power and they believe students will follow them. For the students, they are to follow and do without question and give full trust to the teacher.
This doesn’t sound like a group of people to me. If we consider the students and us are people, we can view the lesson from a very different perspective. A standard plan could be viewed like this:
Warmer. Teacher sets a fun easy game and the students follow the rules and do it and laugh.
Lead-in. Teacher elicits something that helps establish the topic.
Pre-task. Teacher sets a task to help prepare students for another task.
Task. Teacher explains how to do the task. Teacher tells students to do the task. Students do it.
…etc., etc.
Now, as you can see:
Everything still revolves around the teacher as they initiate everything. Even if you elicited, drew pictures or held up cards with words on, you would still be in control.
It follows a very mechanical structure deemed appropriate by the teacher and has little mention of active students.
If we go back to what I was saying earlier. This situation can be seen like a factory and it is for some teachers who just go through the motions. The start at warmer and finish at cooler. Their teaching is a perfectly oiled machine. So efficient that they have honed those lessons over centuries. No matter the people in the room, that lesson gets done and “never fails” as it is “100% foolproof”.
Hmmmm…
Do those teachers teach people or just inflatable student dummies?
I am all for honing lessons and improving your craft but it is also nice to consider and help the students.
To make a class of individuals bond and become a productive class takes time. People are people after all. They may not all get on but that’s life. They’ll all have different learning styles, learning habits, preferences etc but so do you. The more you learn about them, the better you will get at pinpointing what they need and when also why. Becoming more aware of them as people will also help you notice the mood of individuals and the class in general. For instance, if they seem tired on a Friday, slow things down. If there has been some issues with one student, adapt your plan to suit that feeling in the room.
Also, don’t forget communication. Talk to them before the lesson, after the lesson, chat to individuals in the lesson, jump into group activities etc. A quick “is this hard?” or “how useful was that?” in their space at their desks just following an activity will give you a more honest answer than a formal survey at the end of class.
Don’t forget about you too. Be aware of your mood and where your brain is at. You are only human.
Phil Wade is an English and Business English educator interested in developing tailored effective teaching solutions.
Posted in , , , ,
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve shared three e- the first on , the second on , with the third on .
This time round I’m bringing together another series of blog posts that I first published last year which investigate the emotional and physical aspects of the language classroom and how these issue relate to classroom management (hence the title). As with the previous titles, this book should be considered an introductory overview of the subject area and is therefore perhaps best suited to newly qualified language teachers.
Here’s the blurb…
What exactly do we mean by classroom management?
The way I see it, we have to split this particular subject right down the middle: we have the emotional side (the people) and we have the physical side (arranging furniture, placement of the whiteboard, seating plans, etc.).
to download your free copy of this book.
The various theories I’ll be introducing and discussing over the course of several chapters in the first half of this book focus on the former, encompassing the methods of organization, administration, teaching and enforcing discipline in our classroom.
These ‘emotional’ chapters shall consider how particular theories provide models for explaining how students learn, thus suggesting techniques for enhancing learning and decreasing distraction in our learning environments.
I follow these with four chapters focusing on the physical nature of classroom management, looking at rooms I like, rooms I don’t, and discussing the nature of the perfect classroom.
I hope these chapters will collectively help show you how knowledge of classroom management can help you investigate how you function in a classroom, and how you might reflect on changes you’d like to make to how you manage things.
Chapter 1: Investigating the emotional side of the classroom: introducing classroom management
Chapter 2: Four major classroom management theories
Chapter 3: What can we learn from Skinner’s Behaviorism theory?
Chapter 4: What can we learn from the Jones model of positive discipline?
Chapter 5: What can we learn from Glasser’s Choice Theory of classroom management?
Chapter 6: What can we learn from Canter’s Assertive Classroom Management model?
Chapter 7: What is your personal classroom management profile?
Chapter 8: Dealing with the physical aspects of the classroom
Chapter 9: The curious case of G062
Chapter 10: Is G045 a teaching paradise?
Chapter 11: Epilogue – The perfect classroom
If you like the sound of that, click
for your free download.
Posted in , ,
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve shared two e- the first on , the second on . These have proven to be so popular (more than 2500 downloads of the games book in its first week of publication) that I’ve decided to keep going. The third book in my series looks at motivation.
This book is ostensibly split down the middle. In part one I look at many of the contemporary theories of motivation, with questions to help reflect on instances when you’ve encountered students who exhibited related motivational problems. In part two I present a series of scenarios that revolve around our unlikely teacher hero: Good Guy Greg. Greg helps us work through issues and leads us towards practical techniques for solving the motivational issues we may encounter.
Here’s the blurb…
Why isn’t he coming to class? Why does she come to class and not do anything? Why is he so confident of passing when he’s done so little work? Why does she think she’ll fail when she’s working so hard? Why do they spend so much time talking about IELTS when this is a TOEFL preparation course? Does he even want to be in this room? It feels like she’s deliberately trying to fail this course… why would that be?
Fancy a free e-book? Click
for your copy.
Do any of the above questions look familiar to you? How many of them have you uttered yourself? Do you find from time to time that you are utterly perplexed by a student’s complete lack of interest in your marvelously prepared classes? Well, it’s time for you to take a chill pill and understand that there is always a good reason why a given student is not motivated to perform to their peak in your class. It might not always be an obvious reason, but it is invariably a good one.
Occasionally in life, you get to kill two birds with one stone. When that happens with an e-book like this, it’s an absolute joy, I can tell you. In this instance, I’m part of a task group looking into what motivates our learners, and I’m doubling up on the use of some of my initial findings in this here collection of chapters. As you read through the theories I discuss, I’d like you to consider the cases of demotivated students you’ve encountered in the past and think if their situation is more understandable when you put it in the context of what the research says.
for your free download.
Posted in ,
Earlier in the week I shared . This proved to be so popular that I’ve decided to immediately follow it up. Over the years, I’ve written many posts on the subject of using games in th it seemed only logical to bring these all together under one title.
Here’s the blurb…
The justification for using games in the classroom has been well demonstrated as benefiting students in a variety of ways. These benefits range from cognitive aspects of language learning to more co-operative group dynamics. The benefits are as follows:
Affective:
– games lower the affective filter
– they encourage creative and spontaneous use of language
– they also promote communicative competence
– games are both motivating and fun
Cognitive:
– games reinforce learning
– they both review and extend learning
– games focus on grammar in a communicative manner
Click on the image to download your free e-book.
Class Dynamics:
– games are extremely student centered
– the teacher acts only as facilitator
– games build class cohesion
– they can foster whole class participation
– games promote healthy competition
Adaptability:
– games can be easily adjusted for age, level, and interests
– they utilize all four skills
– games require minimum preparation after the initial development stage
You can successfully use games in many ways, such as for a quick review, after material has been covered or as a cool-down activity at the end of a lesson to practice what has been covered (as well as to inject an element of fun). You could also use a game to practice specific new language in groups or pairs for a limited time, as a short introduction to new vocabulary or a concept, as a prompt for writing work, even as a link into a new part of the lesson. Games may even be used merely to change the pace of a lesson.
Contents: 10 good reasons why we should use games in th Are we really sure about using games in the language classroom?; The 9 golden rules of using games in th 3 strategies for incorporating games into be Great kids games to use with adu 3 great games f Using games to teach vocabulary?
for your free download.
, , , , , , ,
A few years ago I wrote a series of posts here on the blog about getting ready to make your first conference presentation as a language teacher. I’m very happy to say that these posts have now been collated and are available as a free to download e-book.
Here’s the blurb…
In many ways my first conference presentation marked a significant transition point in my career. Albeit a small step, I had made the jump from being teacher to being a contributing professional who was concerned about the advancement of English language teaching. For the first time I felt that I might be doing something that few others had done and therefore my travails might make for a suitable topic to present to other teachers. A local conference came up that was focused on a theme appropriate to what I wanted to present, I submitted the proposal, was accepted, and then the panic began!
One of the most rewarding ways of becoming more involved in your profession, I believe, is through presenting at a conference. For the large part, audiences are positive and encouraging and the prevailing atmosphere is one in which everyone has a feeling that they have something to contribute.
Click on the image for download details.
Although it is a lot of work and stress and it can be a huge challenge, presenting at a conference is an important step for those of us who are looking to make a mark in this profession. What’s more, conference presentations may lead to you getting published, as you can get instant feedback on the degree of interest in your work, plus you get the chance to learn from your audience as they share ideas related to the subject and, hopefully, offer constructive feedback. Furthermore, you’ll be able to start networking with people who share your professional interests. Above all else, you’ll really start to feel more a part of a wonderful profession.
Over the course of the four chapters of this book, you’ll find a series of steps dedicated to getting ready for a conference presentation, which I hope all those of you who’ve gone through the process can relate to and those of you who’ve never done it but are giving it consideration can learn something from.
for your free download.
I’m delighted to be part of the team that will be blogging for the upcoming
conference in Istanbul at the end of April.
Edtechist will be the first of a number of posts that I will be writing either before, during, or after the event. As such, I’m going to take the opportunity here to deliver a kind of ‘EdTech for beginners’ post, in which I will look at definitions of the term, the most important concepts in the area of EdTech and also a quick look at where we are now.
So, how can we define EdTech?
In the very simplest terms, EdTech is the common abbreviated form of the term ‘educational technology’. EdTech can be defined as the ethical practice of creation, use, and management of appropriate technological processes and resources for the purpose of facilitating learning. For those who find that definition a bit wordy, in layman’s terms EdTech encompasses the use of products, applications and tools to foster learning, compliment pedagogy at enhance instruction. Importantly, the aim of EdTech should not be to replace current practices, but rather to aid in the delivery of education.
Some of the main issues that have faced EdTech in the past decades have actually come about at least in part because of the all encompassing nature of this definition: EdTech refers to a great many ideas, theories, philosophies and even physical products. Let’s examine each of these now.
The many faces of EdTech
The conference presentations will no doubt focus on the many facets of EdTech, so it will be good in this post to take a brief look at what EdTech actually encompasses, and in turn what kinds of talks we will see at Edtechist.
1 EdTech in terms of the theory and practice of educational pedagogy
Intriguingly, EdTech’s origins in educational theory can be found in Skinner’s behaviorism of the early 20th Century. Skinner believed teaching could be improved based on his functional analysis of verbal behavior, leading to the publication of ‘The Technology of Teaching.’ As computer technology developed rapidly during the 1960s and 1970s, so did our understanding of cognitive science. While the notion of cognitive psychology retained the framework set out in behaviorism, it started looking beyond behavior to explain brain-based learning by considering how human memory works to promote learning. From this point we moved on to the constructivist perspective, which emphasizes an active learning environment that incorporates such learner centered teaching theories as problem based learning, project-based learning, and inquiry-based learning. It is in these last few areas that we may expect to see many presentations at the conference.
2 EdTech in terms of technological tools and media
EdTech can also refer to the products that assist in the communication of knowledge, and its development and exchange. In terms of educational media and tools, conference presentations may revolve around three particular types of use. Firstly, we have the concept of task structure in support, i.e. those tools which help us in the process of doing an activity. Secondly, there is acces the way in which a technological tool can help us find the necessary information. Thirdly, and perhaps most important of this conference, are educational media and tools which enable alternative forms of knowledge representation.
3 EdTech in terms of learning management systems (LMS)
Another rich topic for discussion at the conference will be the notion of the learning management system. In a nutshell, these are the software used for delivering, tracking and managing training and education. There are many uses for an LMS:
Tracking attendance
Measuring time on task
Measuring student progress
Posting announcements
Grading assignments
Checking course activity
Participating in class discussions
I anticipate a great deal of discussion in this area at the conference due to the fact that LMSs are becoming ever more popular. Couple this with the fact that the creation and maintenance of comprehensive learning content requires substantial initial and ongoing investments of time and energy, and we can see why this is such a hot topic.
4 EdTech itself in terms of an educational subject in its own right
Although we may not see much discussion of EdTech as a subject in its own right, we should remember that courses such as ‘Computer Studies’ and ‘Information and Communication Technology (ICT)’ are becoming ever more commonplace in the contemporary educational environment, indicating the importance of EdTech itself.
Let’s meet…
Featuring internationally prominent leaders in technology, as well as enthusiasts about EdTech, this event is set to be a fantastic meeting of minds.
Edtechist is an Educational Technology Conference which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey between the dates 18th-19th April, 2015. The conference will be a meeting place for school leaders, teachers, educational technology specialists, anyone with an interest in educational technology.
Edtechist will be held at MEF university, which uses the Flipped Classroom learning method in all departments. MEF is the first university not only in Turkey but in the world to adopt such a method and supports all uses of educational technology.
Well… here we go again with the seventh part of this series of posts looking at your early career as a language teacher and how to make the most of this time. We’ll continue where I left off in the first six posts by examining common problems for newly qualified language teachers.
In the previous posts, I’ve looked at , how to , how to , how to make sure
isn’t a bad one, some advice on
a discussion on
and some thoughts on how we can.
To be honest, I never imagined this series would go on as long as it has, and the fact that it has is mainly thanks to my ‘co-conspirator’ Phil Wade, who, in his third and most provocative guest post so far, looks at ‘the great TEFL lie’. This post might not be to everyone’s taste, but I do hope you’ll give it a read…
Student “Sir?”.
Teacher “Yes, Smith.”
Student “Sir, can I ask a question please?”
Teacher “Permission granted, Smith.”
Student “Oh, thank you, sir. Sir, what knowledge are you going to bestow on us today, sir?”
Teacher “Ah… Well, we are going to look at conditionals.”
Students “Oh, thank you, sir.”
Student “Sir… May I ask another question?”
Teacher “Yes, Smith.”
Student “May I lower my arm please?”
Teacher “Of, course.”
Student “Oh, thank you, sir.”
This may be a little exaggerated but it helps highlight the ‘good language learner’ we are trained to teach and expect to teach. We plan lessons with these wonderfully motivated, quick learning and never troublesome students in mind. We expect perfectly leveled classes of similar ages, backgrounds and interests. Not to mention personalities, learning styles, understanding of TEFL methods and books.
‘students 10′ by @yearinthelifeof from #ELTPics
So, what will happen if you have to teach students who don’t fit this ideal dream? I have heard teachers complain about having one or two older students, younger students, higher students, lower students etc etc. Why? Because it makes things a little bit harder and presents them with a situation which they probably don’t have the tools to deal with.
Now, warning ahead!
Do not read on if you are easily upset.
Last warning!
Are you ready?
Here it comes… We warned you.
Based on 15 years in TEFL, I can honestly say that the ‘TEFL student’ is a very very small minority. The majority of students learning English in the world are not at private language schools learning from CELTA grads using TEFL books. They are in primary and high schools, they are in after-school clubs, they are in universities, they are in adult education or they are taking private lessons with local teachers.
These classes are often mixed abilities. There are many mixed ages, different backgrounds, a range of interests, medium, low or non-existence motivation and even students who have absolutely no use for English and never will have.
The vast majority of my teaching has fallen into this kind of category.
On top of that, you probably won’t have or be able to get coursebooks. You might not even have handouts, books or be allowed copies.
How would you teach a group of 45 A1-C1 18-37 year old people for 2 hours every evening when your boss has said to “do whatever they ask for”?
This is the reality. There is no point complaining. It is what it is. We are spoiled really. We have such an easy life in language schools as there are so many structures in place to make us stress free. This is why it is good to step out of this safe zone, slowly perhaps at first.
To be a real English teacher, as a senior teacher once told me, you need to be able to handle anything that is thrown at you at the drop of a hat and survive. I don’t suggest you jump straight in but try to to stretch yourself. Otherwise, when fate strikes, like the photocopier gets broken one day or the WIFI doesn’t work you’ll fall to pieces, as some do.
Phil Wade is an English and Business English educator interested in developing tailored effective teaching solutions.
Welcome back, dear friends,
the sixth part of my ever-expanding series of posts looking at your early career as a language teacher and how to make the most of this time. We’ll continue where I left off in the first five posts by examining common problems for newly qualified language teachers.
In my previous posts, I’ve looked at , how to , how to , how to make sure
isn’t a bad one,
some advice on
as well a discussion on . Today we continue with another great guest post from Phil Wade, who this time looks at how we can move beyond methods…
When I started out in TEFL we had to read about methodology and learning, then put into practice what we had learned. As the early grammar translation and audio-lingual ways were greatly criticized as being ‘old’, we were pushed towards the famous TEFL method which is just a mish-mash of all the trends put into one. Later, I learned to critique all the methods and to create my own mish-mash under the banner ‘eclecticism’. ‘Principled eclecticism’ was translated as ‘a good mish-mash’ while an unsuccessful one was just that, a mess. Finding that perfect blend proved difficult as I approached it like making a new recipe on paper when I should have started by experimenting and then writing the recipe.
So, fast forward a few years and I then found out that all methods were dead and that I was free to do whatever. This made me question the previous learning. After all, why study lots of things if you are just going to throw them away? I am fine with developing your own way for each situation, but only IF you have the tools. At a post-MA level with 10 years experience, you probably do, but saying this to a new CELTA grad is asking for trouble.
Fans of Bruce Lee know about nature and doing what fits and this is what I feel I do now. My lessons are quite similar to new non-CELTA teachers on the surface as they are very conversation-based and natural. There are no clunks and obvious gear change transitions that I had after my CELTA. I do what works. This is true for new teachers too. they prepare lessons around their clients and students and do what those people want and like.
‘Teaching Japanese students at Sussex Uni’ by @eltexperiences on #ELTPics
So, the questions I ask myself are 1) what is the quickest and most effective route to this ‘post-method’ approach, and 2) what tools do you need to create your own method for each situations?
CELTA grads are often told they will learn on the job, this often means using books and learning from them. Each book is built from a certain method or approach and so that will rub off on you. Slavishly following a book for a year may get the job done but it won’t help you create your own method or way.
Perhaps the best option is for CELTA grads to just keep going. I mean, on my CELTA, we had to adapt pages of books. Some worked… some didn’t. If you start keep a diary of your teaching and have pages about each skill, pages for ‘methods’ and pages for favorite activities, etc., you will develop a progressive self-development approach. I always planned lessons quite stringently for at least 7 years after my CELTA. I generally binned each one and started fresh for the next as I was never happy with each one and always wanted to change things. Unconsciously, I developed my own method as certain things would keep cropping up in my plans. When I was asked to write an essay about my method, I realized I did have one.
Back to the diary…
Make a section for each type of class you teach. Write in anything. You could have a column for successes and one for failures. Page references to book activities you like, pictures you used, anything. When you get to the bottom of a page, make a summary or a conclusion and start a new page. In this way, you are researching and developing and honing a way or method or approach. Books will become tools and not your method. This can be done by any teacher at any stage but I think post-CELTA works best.
So many many times in my early career, I just ‘did’ activities from books. This would often just be me following a procedure form a book or worksheet and reading out instructions. This was not my method or really me teaching. why? I had no confidence. A few years later, I just stopped reading teachers notes and looked at resources and decided how to use them. For me, this kept my creative juices flowing. the more uses I could think of, the better.
If you agree with the post-method idea then I suggest you start building your own method as soon as you can. When you can say “I find doing…and…and…then…” works best for me, you are on the right track but don’t just make it about set activities, you need a main structure to start with and then branch out. think of a tree with no leaves. As you develop your way, you add on bits and branch out. Using the previous example of the new compared to the seasoned teacher as an example, from the outside, the student may just see a nice tree but the new teacher has just followed someone else’s way or stuck a few things together. Whereas the one further down the professional path has created a solid foundation with countless branches and leaves which he or she can employ effectively.-2-35-38
Posted in ,
Book of the month
Teach them English by
is licensed under a .
Recent Posts
Select Month
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014