The boy went across theasian street meath——填什么

英语大课堂8B Unit6首字母填空答案W:Hi,Jim.I hear you had an accident last Saturday,Is that true?M:No.It was my sister.She had a bad L____.W:What h_____?M:She was walking a_____ the street when a bike hit her hard.The boy was r_____ too fas_百度作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案
英语大课堂8B Unit6首字母填空答案W:Hi,Jim.I hear you had an accident last Saturday,Is that true?M:No.It was my sister.She had a bad L____.W:What h_____?M:She was walking a_____ the street when a bike hit her hard.The boy was r_____ too fas
英语大课堂8B Unit6首字母填空答案W:Hi,Jim.I hear you had an accident last Saturday,Is that true?M:No.It was my sister.She had a bad L____.W:What h_____?M:She was walking a_____ the street when a bike hit her hard.The boy was r_____ too fast and he couldn't stop in time.W:Did she go to hospital after that?M:The boy and his parents t_____ her to the hospital soon after the accident .But nothing was s_____. The doctor L_____ her over and found that she only needed to r_____ at home for a few days. She's all right now.W:i'm g_____ she's OK so soon. But who is the boy?M:You don't know?W:No.M:It is my c_____,Bob!
1 luck2 happended3 across4 riding5 take6 serious7 look8 rest9 glad10 cousinA Fish That Walks
  Everyone knows that fish can swim. But there is a special kind of fish that can also "walk". The walking fish can "leave" the water and still live. Sometimes a walking fish gets tired of swimming in its pond. Then it can jump out and walk to a new one.
  Like other fish, the walking fish uses its gills for breathing when it is in the water. But the walking fish also has a simple lung that lets it breathe outside of the water. It is its lung that makes this kind of fish different from other fish. Its lung lets the fish breathe air when it is not in the water. A walking fish can stay outside of the water for up to twelve hours.
  The fish has its own strange way of walking. It jumps out of the water. It bends its back, drags its tail forward, lifts its head and throws itself toward where it wants to go.
  The fish can keep up this "walking" until it reaches a new pond. Once in the new pond, the walking fish swims again.
& 这是我的高中英语课本第二册第5课的阅读文章《会走路的鱼》。
THE CAT'S PAW
  Long, long ago there lived two animals -- a cat and a monkey. One day the monkey found some chestnuts in a fire. He wanted very much to eat them, but was afraid of burning his hand. So he took the cat to the fire and said: "Ah! How good those chestnuts smell! Cat, my dear friend, your paws are made just like man's hands. You are the only one who can pull the nuts from the fire. Why don't you try it?"
  The cat was flattered by the monkey's praise. She was willing to do anything for him. So she put her paw and began to pull the chestnuts out of the fire. She burned her paw each time she pulled a nut out.
  "How fine it is to have hands like a man!" said the monkey. "Try to get some more. We'll share them."
  So the cat went on pulling more and more chestnuts out of the fire. But when at last she turned for her share of the nuts, she found that the monkey had eaten them all.
  这是我的高中英语课本第一册第3课的阅读文章《火中取栗》。
  “火中取栗”最早出自公元前三世纪的《伊索寓言》,17世纪,法国作家拉·封丹用同一题材写了《猴子与猫》,cat's paw这句成语便流传开来
THE FISHERMAN AND THE GENIE
Once upon a time there was an old fisherman. He went fishing very early every morning, but he never cast his net more than four times a day.
  One morning, he went out early to the sea. He cast his net for the first time, and drew in the body of an animal. He cast it a second time, and drew in an old basket full of sand. He cast it a third time, and drew in a lot of stones. It seemed he would have nothing to take home that morning.
  Day had now broken, and he cast his net for last time. After some time, he began to draw the net in. He found it was very heavy. But there were not any fish in it. Instead he found a jar with a lid. He shook the jar, but could hear nothing. So he took off the lid and looked inside. He could see nothing. After a while a light smoke came slowly out of the jar. Then little by little, the smoke grew heavier and thicker till finally it turned into a terrible Genie!
  "Get down on your knees," said the Genie, "for I'm going to kill you."
  "Why? Didn't I set you free from the jar?"
  "That's why I'm going to kill you, but I'll let you choose how you're going to die."
  "But why?"
  "Listen, and I will tell you my story."
  "I was one of the spirits in heaven. But I did not want to obey Solomon's orders. So one day, he put me in this jar and threw it into the sea.
  "During the first hundred years of my stay in the sea, I made a promise that if anyone set me free I would make him very rich. But no one came. During the second hundred years, I promised that if anyone set me free I would show him all the treasures in the world. But still no one came. During the third hundred years, I promised that if anyone came to set me free, I would make him king over the earth.
  "Still no one came. Then I became very angry, and decided that if anyone should set me free I would kill him at once. Now you have come and set me free. So you must die, but I will let you say how you want to die."
  The fisherman was not frightened. He said: "Since I must die, I must. But before I die, answer me one question."
  "All right, but be quick."
  "Were you really in the jar? You are so big and the jar is so small that it could hardly hold one of your feet."
  "Of course I was in the jar. Don't you believe me?"
  "No, and I won't until I've seen you in the jar with my own eyes."
  When he heard this, the Genie changed into smoke. Slowly the smoke went back into the jar. When all of it was in the jar, the fisherman quickly put the lid on and threw it back into the sea.
  这是1982年版初中英语第五册第11课《渔夫和妖怪》。下面的汉语文本根据1982年版初中语文第一册第24课输入。这是阿拉伯民间故事集《一千零一夜》里的名篇。
  渔夫的故事
从前有一个渔夫,家里很穷。他每天早上到海边去捕鱼,但是他自己立下一条规矩,每天至多撒四次网。
  有一天早上,撒了三次网,什么都没捞着,他很不高兴。第四次把网拉拢来的时候,他觉得太重了,简直拉不动。他就脱了衣服跳下水去,把网拖上岸来。打开网一看,发现网里有一个胆形的黄铜瓶,瓶口用锡封着,锡上盖着所罗门的印。
  渔夫一见,笑逐颜开,说道:“我把这瓶子带到市上去,可以卖它十块金币。”他抱着铜瓶摇了一摇,觉得很重,里面似乎塞满了东西。他自言自语地说:“这个瓶里到底装的什么东西?我要打开来看个清楚,再拿去卖。”他就从腰带上拔出小刀,撬去瓶口上的锡封,然后摇摇瓶子,想把里面的东西倒出来,但是什么东西也没有。他觉得非常奇怪。
  隔一会儿,瓶里冒出一股青烟,飘飘荡荡地升到空中,继而弥漫在大地上,逐渐凝成一团,最后变成个巨大的魔鬼,披头散发,高高地耸立在渔夫面前。魔鬼头像堡垒,手像铁叉,腿像桅杆,口像山洞,牙齿像白石块,鼻孔像喇叭,眼睛像灯笼,样子非常凶恶。
  渔夫一看见这可怕的魔鬼,呆呆的不知如何应付。一会儿,他听见魔鬼叫道:“所罗门啊,别杀我,以后我不敢再违背您的命令了!”
  “魔鬼!”渔夫说道,“所罗门已经死了一千八百年了。你是怎麽钻到这个瓶子里的呢?”
  魔鬼说:“渔夫啊,准备死吧!你选择怎样死吧,我立刻就要把你杀掉!”
  “我犯了什么罪?”渔夫问道,“我把你从海里捞上来,又把你从胆瓶里放出来,救了你的命,你为什么要杀我?”
  魔鬼答道:“你听一听我的故事就明白了。”
  “说吧,”渔夫说,“简单些。”
  “你要知道,”魔鬼说,“我是个无恶不作的凶神,曾经跟所罗门作对,他派人把我捉去,装在这个胆瓶里,用锡封严了,又盖上印,投到海里。我在海里呆着,在第一个世纪里,我常常想:‘谁要是在这个世纪里解救我,我一定报答他,使他终身享受荣华富贵。’一百年过去了,可是没有人来解救我。第二个世纪开始的时候,我说:‘谁要是在这个世纪里解救我,我一定报答他,把全世界的宝库都指点给他。’可是没有人来解救我。第三个世纪开始的时候,我说:‘谁要是在这个世纪里解救我,我一定报答他,满足他的三种愿望。’可是整整过了四百年,始终没有人来解救我。于是我非常生气,我说:‘从今以后,谁要是来解救我,我一定要杀死他,不过准许他选择怎样死。’渔夫,现在你解救了我,所以我叫你选择你的死法。”
  渔夫叫道:“好倒霉啊,碰上我来解救你!是我救了你的命啊!”
  “正因为你救了我,我才要杀你啊!”
  “好心对待你,你却要杀我!老话确实讲得不错,这真是‘恩将仇报’了!”
  “别再罗唆了,”魔鬼说道,“反正你是非死不可的。”
  这时候渔夫想道:“他是个魔鬼,我是个堂堂的人。我的智慧一定能压制他的妖气。”于是他对魔鬼说:“你决心要杀我吗?”
  “不错。”
  “凭 神的名字起誓,我要问你一件事,你必须说实话。”
  “可以,”魔鬼说,“问吧,要简短些。”
  “你不是住在这个胆瓶里吗?可是照道理说,这个铜瓶既容不下你一只手,更容不下你一条腿,怎麽容得下你这样庞大的整个身体呀?”
  “你不相信我住在这个胆瓶里吗?”
  “我没有亲眼看见,绝对不能相信。”
  这时候,魔鬼摇身一变,变成一团青烟,逐渐缩成一缕,慢慢地钻进胆瓶。渔夫见青烟全进了胆瓶,就立刻拾起盖印的锡封,把瓶口封上,然后学着魔鬼的口吻大声说:“告诉我吧,魔鬼,你希望怎样死?现在我决心把你投到海里去。”
  魔鬼听了渔夫的话,就说:“渔夫,刚才我是跟你开玩笑的。”
  “下流无耻的魔鬼,你这是说谎呀!”渔夫一边把胆瓶挪近海边,准备扔到海里去,一边说,“我要把你投到海里,你说你在海里已经住过一千八百年,这一回我非叫你在海里住一辈子不可。我知道你是坏透了的。我不仅要把你投到海里,还要把你怎样对待我的事告诉世人,叫大家当心。捞着你就立刻把你投回海里去,叫你永远留在海里。”
The Third Man's Story
One evening three men arrived at a New York hotel, where they had booked rooms. It was their first visit to New York and they had visited many interesting places before they came to the hotel. Now they were very tired.
  "The rooms which you have booked are on the 43rd floor," Said the porter, "but I'm sorry to tell you that the lift is out of order. If the hotel weren't full up, I'd give you rooms on the first floor. So you must use the stairs."
  The men, who were not very young, were sad about this, but there was nothing they could do.
  They agreed to tell some stories on the way up the stairs. It would make things easier.
  The first man began to tell a story. It was very long and when he had finished, they had reached the 14th floor. The second man's story lasted until they had climbed up to the 31st floor.
  The third man, whose turn it was now to tell his story, suddenly stopped.
  "What's the matter?" asked his two friends." Can't you think of a story?"
  "Oh, yes," he answered. "I can! If I tell you my story, you won't like it."
  "We shan't go a step further if you refuse to tell us your story," said the other two.
  The third man sighed. " All right, then. The story which I'll tell you is very short and very sad. It's the saddest one you've ever heard today. We have left the keys of our rooms downstairs with the porter."
  这是我的高中英语课本第三册第2课的课后阅读文章《第三个人的故事》。相声泰斗马三立先生曾经根据这个故事改编了一段脍炙人口的单口相声《八十一层楼》
The story of silk is s fascinating one.
  About 4,000 thousand years ago the Chinese discovered the secret of the cocoon. No one knows exactly how or when this important discovery was made. One story says that a young princess was drinking tea in her garden and watching the silkworms form cocoons. By chance one dropped into her tea and the hot liquid softened it. When the girl tried to take the cocoon out of her tea, she pulled out a long silk thread.
  The Chinese learned to weave the silk thread into cloth. For 2,000 years they were the only people who knew how to make silk. Chinese merchants sold silk throught Asia and Europe and became rich.
  Everyone wanted to learn how to make silk, but the Chinese kept the secret carefully.
  Finally the secret was stolen in the sixth century. It is said that two monks learned about the silkworms and their cocoons. They spent several years in China and finally found a way to take some silkworm eggs out of the country without anyone fonding out. The monks always carried canes. One day they hid some eggs in the canes, and left China with them. It is said that the development of silk industry in other countries came from those few eggs which the monks carried out of China.
  这是我的高中英语课本第一册第9课的课后阅读文章《丝绸的故事》。
A Very Special Passenger
 The big bus pulled over to the bus stop.
  Mr Cook got on the bus. He looked around and laughed. "I see there's a seat for me today," he said to the bus driver.
  The driver laughed, too, because Mr Cook was the only passenger on the bus.
  "We'll have another passenger soon," the driver said, "we'll pick him up at West Street."
  "How do you know?" asked Mr Cook.
  "Oh, I pick him up almost every day," the driver said with a smile. "He is a very special passenger."
  "Is that so?" said Mr Cook. "What's so special about him?"
  "He doesn't have to pay to ride in my bus," the driver told him.
  "That is special!" Mr Cook said in surprise. "Why is that?"
  "He saved a little girl who fell in the river," said the driver."The father of the little girl is a bus driver. So now he is a very special passenger to all bus drivers."
  "Do you stop for him whenever you see him?" asked Mr Cook.
  "No," said the driver, "if he wants to ride he stanmds at a bus stop like anyone else. When he gets on he goes right to his seat in the back."
  Mr Cook was surprised."Doesn't he like to sit and talk to you?"
  The driver shook his hand. "He isn't much of a talker!"
  The bus turned into West Street.
  "There he is!" said the bus driver.
  Mr Cook looked around. He didn't see anyone at the bus stop.
  The bus stopped, and the door opened. Into the bus came a big brown dog.
  The dog went straight to the back of the bus, got on to the back seat and lay down.
  "There he is!" said the driver, laughing. "He is my very special passenger."
  这是我的高中英语课本第二册第4课的课后阅读文章《特殊乘客》。
The Monkey Man
  Carl, a poor man, was once out of work and was trying to find a job. One day he read in the newspaper that a man was wanted to work in a zoo.
  "That would be wonderful," he thought. "I like animals, and looking after them would be very interesting."
  So Carl went to the manager of the zoo and asked for the job.
  "You look like a smart boy," said the manager. "You can start work tomorrow."
  "What must I do?" asked Carl.
  "Well, you see, it's like this," said the manager. "Our big monkey has just died and it will be two months before we can get another one, so we want you to take his place."
  "You want me to take the place of a monkey?" cried Carl angrily. "Ta you look more like a monkey than I do."
  "Don't take it like that," said the manager. "I know you don't look like a monkey, but we'll dress you up. We've got a monkey's skin and when you put it on, you'll look very much like a monkey. Then all you have to do is to play about in the cage to amuse the children. It's a nice easy job and you'll get good pay for it."
  Carl thought about it for a bit. He did not like the idea much, but, as the manager said, and after all, he had to make a living. So he took the job. The next day he started work. It wasn't so bad. In fact, he quite enjoyed it. He climbed the tree in the cage, he stood on his head, and he swung himself from branch to branch. He ate the bananas the people gave him, and he threw the skins at those who did not give him anything. He ate well, and when he got tired, he could sleep in a little room behind the cage. The only thing he did not like much was the lion in the cage next to his. But, as there were strong bars between them, he soon got uesd to his neighbour.
  One day he climbed up to the top of the bars. Suddenly he missed his footing and fell - not on his own side of the bars, but into the lion's cage. That great beast was asleep at the time but the noise of Carl's fall woke him up. He stood up and looked round to see what the matter was.
  Carl had only one idea, to climbed the bars again quickly to get back into his own cage. He tried to get up, but he had hurt his feet so badly that he could not move. He hid his face in his hands so as not to see the lion coming. The next few seconds seemed like hours. Then he heard the lion whisper in his ear, "Don't be afraid, old man, I'm in the same boat as you."
这是我的高中英语课本第二册第2课的阅读文章。THE STORY OF SILK
THE KING'S DISEASE
  Many years ago there was a king who was very bad-tempered. Every one was afraid of him. The king was bad-tempered because he was often ill. He was often ill because he ate and drank too much.
  "I'm always ill," the king told his doctor."Why can't you cure me?"
  The doctor did not dare to tell the king the reason. He knew this would make the king very angry. "I've given you the best medicine. Your Majesty," he said. "I've done my best."
  "Your medicine makes me worse," the king said. "You must cure me before the end of the month or I shall put you in prison. You're trying to poison me."
  "Perhaps your food is making you ill," the doctor said.What the docter really wanted to say was:"You eat too much."
  "Nonsense," the king shouted. "My cook is the beat cook in the world. It is all because you're a fool that I'm often ill. You do not know how to cure me. I pay you to make me well, but what happens? I have a stomachache and a headache every day. Now go and study your books. Find a cure for my disease or..."
  "Yes, yes, Your Majesty," the doctor said and went to his room. He made a lot of medicine but none of it could cure the king.
  At last there was only thee days before the end of the month. The doctor went into the forest, where he wanted to see a wise old monk and ask him for advice.
  The wise old monk listened carefully to the doctor's story. Then he said, "I understand your problem, doctor. You cannnot tell the king the truth. He will throw you into prison if you do. You must let the king find out for himself why he is always ill."
  "How can I do that?" the doctor said.
  "I have a plan," the old monk said. "Can you get me an invitation to the breakfast at the palace?"
  "Yes, I can do that easily," the doctor answered.
  The next morning the monk arrived at the palace. He looked very fat bacause he has cushions under his robe. And he seemed to enjoy the food very much.
  "I like a man who can eat a lot," the king said.
  A few minutes after the meal the monk suddenly fell to the floor.
  "Oh, oh!" he cried. "My stomach! My head! Oh, oh!"
  "Do you have a stomachache and headche, too?" the king asked.
  "Always, Your Majesty," the old monk said, and he walked painfully out of the room.
  On the last day of the month the old monk came to the palace again. He looked thin and healthy.
  "You look well," the king said. "Come and eat with me."
  "No, thank you, "the old monk said. "I eat noly one meal a day. I saw your doctor. He is a very clever man and he told me that that I ate and drank too much. He was right. Now I do not eat as much as before and I am healthy. I no longer have pains in my stomach or head."
  "That is very interesting," the king said. "I'll eat and drink less, too. Perhaps it will cure me."
  And of course, it did.
  这是我的高中英语课本第一册第7-8课的课后阅读文章《国王的病》。原文分作两篇。
The Crazy Tower in Pisa
  The Dear Old Lady - that is what the people of Pisa call the tower - needs help.
  Three million people visit Pisa each year. That's a lot of people. Why do they come to this town in Italy? To see a tower. Alook at the picture will tell you why. The crazy tower leans! It is known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
  The tower looks as if it might fall at any time. In fact, some visitors stop at the tower just long enough to take a picture. Then they hurry away. Other visitors climb the 294 steps to the top - and come down, feeling like heroes.
  Engineers say that the visitors are safe - at least for a while. But the tower does lean. It slants 14 feet 10 inches at the present time. The tower has been leaning for more than 800 years. And every year it leans a tiny bit more. If this keeps on, the tower will fall.
  You may wonder what makes the tower lean. If you look at the picture, you will see that one side of the tower is deeper in the earth than the other. The foundation on which the tower rests has sunk into the soil on the leaning side. Why has this happened?
  Pisa's tower weighs 14,500 tons. The soil of the tower is a mixture of clay and water. A heavy tower built on soil like this must have a very strong foundation. The Leaning Tower's foundation is just not deep enough and wide enough for the tower above it.
  Can anything be done about the tower?
  Yes, Italian engineers have several plans. They don't want to make the tower straight - just keep it from leaning any further. So all the plans call for a new foundation that won't sink.
  But a new foundation can't be built while the tower is resting on the old one. The tower must be raised. And it must have something to rest on while the new foundation is being built.
  The tower could be raised with jacks. They would be like the jacks we use to raise cars when changing a tire. Only these jacks would be giant ones. One plan calls 15 of them to be placed around the tower. Each of the giant jacks would be on its own foundation. And each of them could lift 1000 tons. The 15 jacks would raise the 14,500-ton tower and hold it up while the new foundation is being built.
  The Italian engineers are searching for the best plan to save the tower. They know that any plan will take a lot of money. They are trying to get the money from the Italian government. But many Italians refuse to believe that the old tower is in danger. "It leans and leans and leans," they said. "But it will never fall down."
  The engineers want to make sure that it won't.
  这是我的高中英语课本第一册阅读材料3《比萨斜塔》。
Seventeen Camels
  Once upon a time there was an old man who had three sons. Calling them together, he said, "Sons, my end is near. To my oldest son I will give half my camels, to my second one-third, and to my youngest one-ninth." The next day he died.
  Now, the old man had seventeen camels, and the three brothers were puzzled to know how to share them as their father had said. They thought a long time about the problem and it seemed that they must either kill some of the camels and cut them into pieces, or disobey their father. At last they went to an old friend and asked [for] his advice. As soon as he heard their story, he said, "I will help you. I am old. I have only one camel, but take it. It is yours."
  With many thanks the three sons took the old man's camel, finding that it was now easy to divide the camels& as their father wished. The oldest took half, w the second took one-third, and the youngest took one-ninth, which was two.
  Only one each had received his share of camels did they discover that there was one camel to spare. So, out of gratitude to their father's friend, they returned the camel.
  这是我的高中英语课本第二册第13课的课后练习,原为填空题。
  对照网上的文章,感到此文删改未精,一些地方有疏漏,不够正确。如第3段they went to an old friend宜为they went to their father's old friend,最后一段说their father's friend,前文却没有。第3段里asked his advice显然少了for。
THE COCK AND THE FOX
  It is evening. An old cock is sitting in a tall tree. A fox comes to the tree and looks up at the cock
  "Hello, Mr Cock, I have some good news for you." Says the fox.
  "Oh?" says the cock. "What is it?"
  "All the animals are good friends now. Let's be friends, too. Please come down and play with me."
  "Fine!" says the cock. "I'm very glad to hear that. " Then he looks up. "Look! There is something over there."
  "What are you looking at?" asks the fox.
  "Oh, I see some animals over there. They are coming this way."
  "Animals? "
  "Yes. Oh, they're dogs. "
  "What? Dogs?" asks the fox. "Well, ... well, I must go now. Good-bye."
  "Wait, Mr Fox," says the cock. "Don't go. They are only dogs. And dogs are our friends now. "
  "Yes. But they don't know that yet. "
  "I see, I see." says the cock. He smiles and goes to sleep high up in the tree.
The Pot of Gold
  Once a farmer was put in prison. But he hadn't done anything wrong. He just hadn't paid taxes to the king. At that time the king's men were collecting money to fight more wars. The people had to pay one tax after another. Now this farmer was poor and didn't have any money. When the king's men came to his house, he said," I can't give you any money, I'm such a poor man that I've hardly got enough to live on."
  The king's men laughed. "You're trying to fool us, aren't you? We've heard you are so rich that you've got a pot of gold." Then they searched every room in the house but found nothing. Even so, they caught hold of the poor farmer and put him in prison. "You will stay in prison until we got the pot of gold from you." they said.
  The poor farmer did not know what to do. Also, he was worried about his farm. He knew his wife couldn't do all the farm work by herself.
  One day he got a letter from his wife. "I'm so worried about our farm," she wrote. "It's nearly spring. It's time to plant potatoes. But I can't dig up the fields just by myself." This made the farmer even more worried. "What can I do?" he thought. Suddenly he had an idea. He wrote a letter to his wife."Don't dig the fields," he wrote. "That's where it is - you know, the pot. Don't plant the potatoes until I tell you to."
  The farmer gave the letter to the prison guard, and asked him to send it to his wife. The prison guards, of course, had already read the letter from the farmer's wife. Now they read the farmer's reply. "Aha!" they said. "This sounds very interesting. He talks about a pot. He must mean the pot of gold. It seems this farmer really is a rich man."
  "He says the pot is in the fields, but he doesn't say which field," another guard said. "This farmer has several fields."
  "It doesn't matter," the first guard answered. "We know there's gold in his fields. We'll find it."
  Two weeks later, the farmer received anther letter from his wife. "Somthing funny happened," his wife wrote. "Two weeks ago, about ten men came to our farm. All of them began to dig. They dug all our fields and now they've gone away. I can't understand it. It seems they were looking for something. What shall I do now?"
  The farmer smiled when he read this. He wrote another letter to his wife at once. It was very short. "Since these men have dug up our fields, you can go ahead and plant the potatoes."
& 这是人民出版社1983年10月第1版初中英语第五册阅读材料2《一罐金子》。
A CLEVER ESCAPE
  Many years ago, a wise judge in a town in Spain was put into a tower. He was put into the tower because the head official of the town was jealous of him. The judge was very popular and was deeply loved by the people.
  He was in this tower, which was really a prison for him for some time. It seemed there was no hope of escape. One night as he was looking out of the window, he saw his wife standing at the foot of the tower. She was crying.
  "Don't cry," the judge called to her. "Just listen to me. Go and bring back a scarab, a little butter, some silk thread, a heavy cord, and a rope. If you do this, you'll be able to save me."
  The woman left at once and returned quickly with the things.
  The judge said: "Put a little butter on the head of the scarab, then tie the silk thread around its body and put it on the wall with its head upwards."
  The woman did this. The scarab, thinking that the butter was somewhere above him, began to climb the wall.
  The judge watched and waited. When at last the scarab was near him, he picked it up and removed the silk thread from its body. Then his wife tied the cord to the other end of the silk thread. When the judge pulled the cord up, his wife had already tied the rope to one end.
  The judge now tied one end of the rope to something strong within the tower. Then he slid down the rope as his wife watched. Would the rope break? Would he fall down? Would something happen?
  Slowly, slwoly he came down.
  It was only a few minutes, but it seemed like hours! But at last he was on the ground. He was free now! How happy she was! And how simple it was!
  这是人民出版社1984年5月第1版初中英语第六册阅读材料2《聪明的逃脱》。
WHO IS FASTER?
T - Tortoise
T: Hello, Mr Hare!
H: Oh, it's you, Mr Tortoise. What are you doing?
T: I'm running.
H: Running? Ha ha! You can't run. Your legs are too short!
T: Of course I can.
H: My legs are longer than yours. I'm sure I can run faster than you.
T: Don't be so sure.
H: Well then, let's run to the tall tree over there. Let's see who gets there first.
T: All right.
H: Ready? Go!
(Mr Tortoise goes very slowly. Mr Hare runs much faster. In a minute he cmoes to a small tree.)
H: Where's Mr Tortoise? Aha! There he is. He's far behind me. How slow he is! I'm much faster. Mmm, it's hot! Ahh, here's a tree. Let me have a rest under it. It's so nice and cool.
(Soon he is asleep.)
(Mr Tortoise comes up. He looks at Mr Hare and goes on.)
H(waking up) : Ah, what a good sleep! Now, where's Mr Tortoise? Where is he? I don't see him. (Runs to the tall tree.)
T(sitting under the tall tree): Why, hello, Mr Hare! How are you? You're very fast, aren't you?
H: Yes, but ...
T: But, I'm here first. Now who is faster, you or me?
H: Oh! ...
TWO FRIENDS AND A BEAR
  One day two young men were going through the forest. One said to the other, "We're good friends. We must help each other. If any beast comes at you, I'll stay with you and help you." The other friend said, "I will help you too, if any beast comes at you."
  They walked on.
  After a while there was a great noise. It was a big bear. The young men ran away quickly. One of them got up into a tree. But the other was fat and could not climb up. So he threw himself at the foot of the tree. He thought to himself, "The bear will think that I am dead."
  Soon the bear came near. The bear looked at the fat young man, then it put its nose down and smelled him. The young man held his breath. The bear thought he was dead, so it went away.
  The man in the tree came down. With a smile he asked his friend, "The bear put its mouth so near to your ear. What did it say to you?"
  The friend answered, "The bear said, ‘Don't trust your friend. He ran away from you when you needed his help most. Remember: A friend in need is a friend indeed.'"
  这是1982年10月第1版初中英语第三册第12课《两个朋友和一只熊》。
  A French student went to London for his holiday. He thought: "I know a little English. I think people can understand me."
  One morning he went to visit the Science Museum. At noon he was tired and hungry. He went to the nearest restaurant and sat down at the table. He wanted to have a cup of tea and some eggs. Soon the waiter came up to him and asked,"Can I help you, sir?"
  "A cup of tea and ..."he could not remember the English word for eggs. He looked around him, but nobody was eating eggs.
  Then he saw a magazine on the table next to him. There was a picture of a cock on its cover. He showed the picture to the waiter.
  "What's the English for this?" he asked.
  "A cock, sir." answered the waiter.
  "What do you call a cock's wife?" was the next question.
  "A hen, sir."
  "And what do you call a hen's children?"
  "Chicks, sir."
  "And what do you call chicks before they're born?"
  "Eggs, sir."
  "Very well,"said the French student. "Bring me two eggs, two eggs and a cup of tea, please." And he sat back with a smile on his face.
  这是1982年10月第1版初中英语第三册第10课《办法》。
A LESSON FROM NATURE
  Not many years ago, some farmers were worried because hawks were taking many of their chickens. The farmers did not know what to do. Finally they went to the officials and ask for help.
  “Kill the hawks,” the officials said. “We’ll even pay you for them.” So the farmers began to think of ways to kill hawks.
  The farmers killed many hawks. Before long they didn’t have to worry about their chickens. But they now had a new worry. Field mice were eating up a lot of the farmers’ grain.
  How did this happen?
  Hawks eat not only chickens but also field mice. They eat mice field mice than chickens. But the farmers did not know this. When they killed a lot of hawks, they changed the balance of nature.
  When people move into a new place, they often destroy many wild plants. Many of these plants are food for the animals. If the animals cannot find enough plants to eat, they will starve or have to leave the place.
  In one part of the United States, for example, the deer there like to eat a certain kind of wild rose. The mountain lions there eat the deer. The number of deer, mountain lions, and wild roses does not change much if people leave things as they are.
  But people killed many mountain lions in order to protect the deer. Soon there were so many deer that they ate up all the wild roses. Then the deer began to eat the green leaves of the young trees. The trees were important to the farmers. So the farmers thought of ways to protect their trees. Now the deer had nothing to eat, and many of them died. This was another lesson from nature.
  It is important for us to keep the balance of nature. This is the lesson we should remember.
 这是人民出版社1984年5月第1版初中英语第六册第7课《来自大自然的教训》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。
"What a Fool I Was!"
  On April 1, Mike decided to play a joke on his friends. At lunch-time he said to Tom, "I think we're going to have a science test this afternoon."
  "A test?" said Tom.& "Really?"
  "Yes, it's quite true," said Mike. "When I was by Mr Hill's room, he was talking to another teacher about a test. I think there will be a science test this afternoon. Tell Paul and Kathy about it."
  Later, Tom told Paul and Kathy about the test. Soon, almost all the students in Mr Hill's science class knew about it. They quickly went into the classroom and began to study.
  But not Mike. He was laughing to himself at his classmates. "What fools!" he thought. "April fools."
  When class began, Mr Hill said to the students, "Class, we are going to have a test today."
  Mike was surprised. He could not believe his ears. When Mr Hill handed out the papers, the students began to write. But not Mike. He had to think and think and think. As soon as the class was over, the students gathered around Mike. All of them were very graceful to him. But he could only smile. "What a fool I was!" he thought.
  It really was April Fools' Day for Mike.
  这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第四册阅读材料2《“我太傻了!”》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。我们最初都是从这篇文章知道“愚人节”的。
The Crow and the Fox
&&& One day a crow found a piece of cheese.She picked it up in her beak and flew to a high tree.She was just going to eat the cheese when a fox saw her. He came and stood under the tree and said,"What beautiful feathers you have!You must be the most beautiful bird in the world."
&&& The crow was very pleased by these words.
&&& Then the clever fox spoke again,"I can see your beautiful feathers,but I have not heard your voice. I wonder if your voice is as beautiful as your feathers."
&&& The crow wanted to show how beautiful her voice was,so she opened her beak and began to sing.As she opened the beak ,of couse,she dropped the cheese.The clever fox immediately picked up the cheese and ate it.
&& Kind words are not always as kind as the seem.&&
The Tiger and the Monkey(阅读材料)
In a forest, there is an old tiger. He doesn’t often go to look for food himself. Every day he makes on eof the smaller animals bring his something to eat.
One morning, the tiger is very hungry. He says to a monkey, “I’m hungry, Monkey. Go and bring me some food.”
“I can’t do that, Mr Tiger,” says the monkey, “There’s another tiger in the forest. He’s younger and stronger than you. He tells me not to bring you anything.”
“What?” shouts the tiger, “Another tiger? I want to see him. I’ll speak to him.”
“Come with me, Mr Tiger,” says the monkey, “You’ll see him yourself.”
The monkey takes the tiger to a big river.
“Look into the water,” says the monkey. “There he is! See his head? Look at his big teeth. Isn’t he bigger than you?”
“Grrr…!” So you tell Monkey not to bring me anything! Grrr…I’ll kill you!”
With these words the tiger jumps into the river and he doesn’t come out again.
“Ha, ha, ha! Goodbye, Mr Tiger,” laughs the monkey and away he goes.
The Wind and the Sun
&& One day,the North Wind and the Sun had a quarrel."I'm stronger than you,"the North Wind said."I can blow big trees down.I can blow the roofs off houses.""No,I'm stronger than you,"said the Sun."I can make trees and flowers grow."
&& A man was walking along.He was wearing a coat."look at that man,"said the North Wind,"I can blow off his coat."Then he blew hard.The man felt cold.He put his hands in the pockets of his coat and kept walking.The wind could not blow off his coat.
&& The Sun smiled,"Now watch me!"it said."I'll show you a better way to take off the man's coat."the Sun shone down on the man.The man felt warm.After a while he felt hot and took his coat off.The Sun laughed."You are very strong,"he said to the North Wind,"But I took the man's coat off.so I'm stronger than you."
Why the bat comes out only at night
Long, long ago, there was a war between the birds and the beasts. No one knows what they fought about.
The bat did not know whose side he should take. He thought and thought, then decided he must try to be on the side of the winners.
So he watched from far away. After a while, it seemed that the birds were going to win. He flew over to join them.
“What on earth are you doing here?” a bird shouted at him.
“Can`t you see I`m a bird?” the bat said with a smile. “Look, I have wings, just like you.”
“Come along , then,” said the bird. Don`t hide behind others.”
But things changed soon. Now it seemed that the beasts were winning. So the bat left the birds in a hurry and went over to the beasts.
“What are you doing on our side?” an animal called out to him. “Are you spying on us?”
“Don`t you know I`m one of you?” asked the bat, showing his teeth. Look. Can`t you see I`ve got teeth, too?
“Who are you trying to fool?” said the animals. “We saw you fighting on the side of the birds just now.”
So the beasts drove him off. Of course the birds refused to take him back.
When the beasts and the birds saw neither side could win, they decided to stop fighting.
Neither beasts now birds would have the bat as their friend, so he was afraid to leave his home. Ever since then, he comes out only at night.
//bat蝙蝠&&&&&&&& war战争&&&&&& fight-fought-fought 打仗,打架
&take(be on)side of支持某人&&&& winner获胜者&&&& win获胜&&&& seem好像& wing翅膀&&&&& hide藏&&& in a hurry匆忙&&& go over走到另一边去; 改变立场&& call out大声叫喊&&&& spy侦察&&&&&& spy on窥探&&&&&& tooth- teeth牙齿&&
fool 愚弄,欺骗&&& drive off赶走&&&& refuse拒绝
neither…nor…既不…也不…&&&&&&&& as 作为
1. After a while, it seemed that the birds were going to win.
过了一会儿,看来鸟儿们好像要赢了
2. What on earth are you doing here? 你究竟在这儿干什么?
3. “Come along,& then,” said the bird. “那么,就来吧。“鸟儿说。
4.“Don`t you know I`m one of you?” asked the bat, showing his teeth. “难道你们不知道我是你们这边的成员?”蝙蝠露出自己的牙齿问道。
5. Of course the birds refused to take him back.当然,鸟儿们也不肯再收他。
6. 6.Neither beasts nor birds would have the bat as their friend, so he was afraid to leave his home.兽类和鸟群都不愿把蝙蝠当作他们的朋友, 因此, 蝙蝠害怕离开自己的家。
A PAGE FROM A STUDENT'S DIARY
October 22nd, Saturday&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& Cloudy
  There were no classes this afternoon. My classmates all went to the Summer Palace. They had a good time, but I didn't go.
  After lunch Aunt Huang came in. She looked worried. "Grandma is ill," she said. "I must take her to the hospital. But my baby, ... I can't leave her by herself."
  Mother and Dad were not at home. So I said, "Don't worry. I can look after her."
  "Thank you, Xiao Ping. Thank you."
  The baby was about ten months old. At first she was asleep. Half an hour later she woke up. She couldn't find her mother and began to cry. "Don't cry," I said. I talked to her. But she looked at me and cried harder and harder. I turned on the radio. She topped crying and listened to the music. After a few minutes she started to cry again. "Listen to me," I said. I started to sing. The baby watched and listened. She didn't cry any more. Then I made faces and jumped like a monkey. The baby laughed and laughed.
  All that afternoon I jumped and sang and did all kinds of things. When Aunt Huang came back, I was so tired.
  In the evening Wang Lin came to see me. I told him the whole story. He laughed. "You're great! I'm going to tell everyone. I'm going to tell them 'Bring your babies to Li Ping. He can take good care of your babies.'"这是1982年10月第1版初中英语第三册第7课《一篇学生日记
THE ARAB AND THE CAMEL这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第四册阅读材料4《阿拉伯人和骆驼》
  Once an Arab was travelling on his camel. When the sun started to go down, he stopped and set up his tent. Then he made a fire, ate his meal and lay down to sleep.
  Suddenly it began to blow. It became colder and colder. The camel put his head into the tent. "Master, could you let me put my head in the tent? It's so cold outside."
  The Arab was a kind man. "Why, yes," he said. "Put your head in and get warm."
  Then he went back to sleep. But before long, the camel woke him. "My head is warm now, but my neck is cold. Could I bring it inside, too?"
  "All right," the Arab said. And the camel put his neck in.
  There wasn't much more room in the tent now, as the camel had a long neck.
  Again the Arab went back to sleep, but again the camel woke him up. "Master, I really must ask you to move over a bit. I've warmed my head and my neck, but I'd like to bring my front legs inside and warm them up, too."
  The Arab moved over. He had to sit up now, for there wasn't enough room for him to lie down and sleep.
  "What next?" He wondered. Just the camel said: "This tent is really too small for both of us. Besides, my other two legs are still out in the cold. Why don't you go out and leave the tent to me?"
  And with that, the camel kicked the poor man out.
  Give a greedy person an inch and he will take a foot.
DOLPHIN LANGUAGE
  One day Mr Green, the science teacher, asked his class, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
  "I want to be a dolphin trainer like my uncle," Mike answered.
  "Why do you want to be a dolphin trainer?" asked Mr Green.
  "Because I’m interested in dolphin language."
  "Dolphin language? Tell us more."
  "All right," answered Mike. My uncle tells me that dolphins are very clever. One day my uncle saw a sick dolphin in the pool. It couldn’t come up for air. So it whistled to the other dolphins for help. They came to their friend and made some strange sounds. They looked sad. Then together they pushed the sick dolphin’s head up above the water. Soon it got well."
  Mike went on with his story.
  "Some scientists once said to my uncle, ‘if you live with a dolphin and talk to it all day, maybe you can teach it some words.’ My uncle decided to do that. He lived with a dolphin. The dolphin loved to play ball so he decided to teach the word "ball" first. He threw a ball to the dolphin and said the word "ball" many times. Soon the dolphin started to say the word."
  When Mike finished, John asked, "Can dolphin learned to speak Chinese, too?"
  Mike said, "I think so. They’re like children. Children learned their first words in the language of their parents. Maybe a Chinese can teach a dolphin its first words in Chinese."
  Kate asked, "How do they make sounds?"
  Mike didn’t know.
  "They make sounds through blowholes in their heads," said Mr Green. "Scientists know a little about dolphin language, but they have a lot more to learn."
  "That’s why I want to be a dolphin trainer," said Mike.
  这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第四册阅读材料3《海豚的语言》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。
THE RAILS SING
  This story is about a bright boy in a small village in Europe. He worked in a town far away. Every day he went there by train.
  In those days, trains run very slowly. Few people like taking trains. But this boy didn’t mind because he enjoyed listening to the click, click of the rails.
  One evening after work, the boy was going home on the train. He sat in his seat quietly. He was listening to the click of the rails. Suddenly there was a break in the singing of the rails.
  "Something is wrong," said the boy to himself.
  He stood up. "Stop the train!" He cried.
  "Something is wrong with that boy," someone said.
  One man shouted at the boy, "be quiet, boy!What’s the matter with you?"
  Another man said, "Don’t be foolish, boy!"
  But the boy would not be quiet. "Stop the train! Stop the train! There’s danger ahead!" He cried.
  He went to look for the conductor of the train.
  "Conductor," he said when he found the man. "Please listen to the click of the rails. Something is wrong."
  The conductor listened. Then he said, "You are quite right, boy. We must stop the train."
  The train stopped. The conductor got off and checked the rails
  When he got on the train again, he said to the others, "The boy was right. There’s something wrong with one of the rails about thirty metres ahead. He saved our lives."
  This boy later became a musician. Many people like his music. When you listen to one of his pieces, you can hear click, click, click. It sounds like the singing of rails.
  这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第四册第6课《铁轨唱歌》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。
THE MONKEY AND THE CROCODILE
  One day a little monkey was playing in a tall tree by the river. A crocodile was swimming slowly near the bank with her baby. She looked around for some food. Suddenly she saw the monkey. "Aha, there's my meal," she thought. She then turn to her son, "Do you love me, Son?"
  "Why, of course, Mum!" the baby crocodile said.
  "Well then, you catch the monkey and give me his heart to eat."
  "But how can I?" the baby crocodile asked. "Monkeys can't swim, and I can't climb trees."
  "You needn't climb the tree," his mother said. "Use your head, then you will find a way."
  The baby crocodile thought hard. Then he had an idea. He swam near the tree and shouted, "Hey, Monkey! Would you like some bananas?"
  "Bananas! Mm! I love them," said the monkey. "But where are they?"
  "On the other side of the river. There are some banana trees there, and they have lots of bananas on them. I'll take you there on my back."
  "Good," the monkey came down and jumped onto the crocodile's back.
  Soon they were in the middle of the river. Suddenly the crocodile went down under the water. When he came up again, the monkey was all wet. "Don't do that!" The monkey cried. "Don't do that again! I can't swim, you know."
  "I know, but I have to," answered the crocodile. "My mother wants to eat your heart."
  The little monkey was clever. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" He asked.
  "My heart isn't here with me. I left it in that tree over there."
  "Then we'll have to go back for it. Mother doesn't want you without your heart." The crocodile turned and swam back to the bank.
  Soon they reached the bank. The monkey jumped off the crocodile at once, picked up a big stone and quickly climbed up the tree. The crocodile waited for the monkey to come down again. As he was waiting, he&& suddenly heard a voice from above:
  "Hey, Crocodile!"
  The crocodile looked up. The monkey was hanging from the tree by his tail and laughing.
  ‘Here's my heart. Come up and get it. Don't keep your mother waiting…You can't come up? Well, catch!'
  With these words, he threw the big stone at the crocodile.
  这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第四册第2课和第3课《猴子和鳄鱼》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。
THE SEAGULLS OF SALT LAKE CITY
  Salt Lake City is a beautiful city in the west of North America. The name comes from a great lake nearby. The city lies in a valley with high mountains all around it. But long ago there was almost nothing in this place and were very few people living here.
  More than a hundred years ago, a group of men, women and children moved from the east to the west. They had travelled a long way. At last these brave people came to the great mountains by the salt lake. They crossed the mountains and reached this quiet place. They decided to stay here, and so they built their homes and made their farms. This was where Salt Lake City now lies.
  The people had to work hard on their farms, because their lives depended on their crops.
  One day while they were working in their field, some farmers saw something strange in the sky.
  "Whats that?" asked one of them.
  "Where?" asked another, as he stopped to look.
  "Over there, "was the reply.
  They saw something like a cloud coming, but it was too low in the sky. As they watched, it came nearer and nearer. Suddenly a shout went up: "Locusts! Millions of them!"
  The words put fear into the heart of all, because they knew what locusts could do, and they had never seen so many of them before.
  In no time the locusts came down and started eating and everything - the wheat, the corn, the grass and the leaves on the trees.
  The farmers brought out things to fight the locusts. They tried everything. But while they were killing the locusts in one place, millions more arrived in another. What could the farmers do?
  Suddenly there was a great noise. As they looked up, they saw another cloud coming towards them. To their surprise, they saw not locusts this time, but seagulls. The farmers cried out, "Theyve came to eat what the locusts have left。"
  But to their joy, they found that the seagulls had come to eat not the crops, but the locusts. They had seen or smelled the locusts and had come from the Salt Lake City. Now they were eating the locusts! In a short while they ate up millions of them. The farmers crops were saved.
  The people were very thankful. They decided that from then on no one should ever kill a seagull. And today, if you go to Salt Lake City, you can see a monument with seagulls on top of it.
这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第五册第5课《盐湖城的海鸥》。感谢网友张先生输入文本。
THE ARAB IN THE DESERT
  An Arab was walking alone through the desert when he met two men. The men looked worried. It seemed that they had lost something. The Arab went over to them.
  “Have you lost one of your camels?” he asked them.
  “Yes,” they said.
  “Was he blind in the right eye and lame in the left foot?” asked the Arab.
  “Yes, he was.”
  “Had he lost a tooth and was he carrying corn?”
  “Yes,” said the men. “Please tell us where he is.”
  “I don’t know where he is,” said the Arab. “I’ve never seen such an animal.”
  “Did someone tell you about him?”
  “No.”
  The two men looked at each other in surprise. They could not believe the Arab’s words. Finally, they came up close to him, took hold of him, and shouted:
  “Where’s the animal? And what have you done with our goods?”
  The Arab insisted that he had never seen the camel. At last the men took him before a judge. They said that the Arab had stolen their camel.
  “I’ve never seen their camel,” insisted the Arab. “But I’m a man of the desert, and I’ve learned to look carefully at everything I see. This morning I saw the tracks of a lost camel. I knew this because there were no man’s tracks near those of the camel. I also saw that the camel must be blind in the right eye, because he had only eaten the grass on his left side and had not touched the grass on his right. The animal was lame because with one foot he left a track much lighter than any of the others. He had lost a tooth, because wherever he ate grass, there was always a small space left untouched. I also found groups of ants near the tracks of the camel. They were pulling pieces of corn. From these facts I was able to tell what goods the animal was carrying.”
  The judge and the two men were satisfied with what the Arab had said. Together the four men set out to look for the lost animal.
  这是1983年10月第一版初中英语第五册第4课《沙漠里的阿拉伯人》。1978年版全日制十年制小学课本小学语文第四册第20课《找骆驼》是同一则故事。
  从前,有个商人走失了一只骆驼,他很多地方都没找到,心里很着急。这时候,他看见一位老人在前边走,就赶上去问:“老人家,您看见没看见一只骆驼?”
  老人说:“你问的那只骆驼是不是左脚有点跛?”&&&&  “是的。”
  “是不是左边驮着蜜,右边驮着米?”&&&&&&&&&&  “不错。”
  “是不是缺了一颗牙齿?”
  “对极了!您看到它往哪儿去了?”
  老人说:“那我可不知道。”
  商人忿忿地说:“别骗我了,一定是你把我的骆驼藏起来了。要不,你怎么知道得这么详细?”
  老人不紧不慢地说:“赶嘛生气呢,听我说嘛。刚才我看见路上有骆驼的脚印,右边深、左边浅,就知道骆驼的脚有点跛。我又看见路的左边有一些蜜,右边有一些米。我想骆驼驮的一定是这两样东西。我还看见骆驼啃过的树叶,上面留下了牙齿印,所以知道它缺了一颗牙齿。至于骆驼往哪儿去了,你应该顺着骆驼的脚印去找。”
  商人听了,照着老人的指点一路找去,果然找到了走失的骆驼。
相关文章热门文章
& & & & & & & & &
热门英汉双语笑话
最新英汉双语笑话

我要回帖

更多关于 across 110th street 的文章

随机推荐