初中英语湘教(仁爱)版九年级(下)练习册
上传于||暂无简介
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用5下载券
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩4页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢I did not know she was in trouble, at that time, I would have given her a hand. A. theref——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
I did not know she was in trouble, at that time, I would have given her a hand. A. therefore B. otherwise C. however D. though 【】
题目列表(包括答案和解析)
I try not to be biased(偏见)but I had my doubtsabout hiring Stevie. His social worker assured me that he would be a good,reliable busboy. But I had never had a mentally handicapped employee. He wasshort, a little fat, with the smooth facial features and thick-togued speech ofDown’s Syndrome(唐氏综合症). I thought most ofmy customers would be uncomfortable around Stevie, so I closely watched him forthe first few weeks.I shouldn’thave worried. After the first week, Stevie had my staff wrapped around hisstubby little finger, and within a month my regular trucker customers hadadopted him as their official truck stop mascot. After that, I really didn'tcare what the rest of the customers thought of him. He was like a 21-year-oldin blue jeans and Nikes, eager to laugh and eager to please, but fierce in hisattention to his duties. Every salt and pepper shaker was exactly in its place,not a bread crumb or coffee spill was visible when Stevie got done with thetable. Our only problem was persuading him to wait to clean a table until afterthe customers were finished. Over time, we learned that helived with his mother, a widow who was disabled. Money was tight, and what Ipaid him was probably the difference between them being able to live togetherand Stevie being sent to a group home. That's why the restaurant was agloomy place that morning last August, the first morning in three years thatStevie missed work. He was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester getting a heartsurgery. His social worker said that people with Downs Syndrome often had heartproblems at an early age and there was a good chance he would come through thesurgery in good shape and be back at work in a few months.A ripple of excitement ranthrough the staff later that morning when word came that he was out of surgery,in recovery, and doing fine. Frannie, my head waitress, did a little dance whenshe heard the good news. Belle Ringer, one of our regular trucker customers,stared at her and asked, “Okay, Frannie, what was that allabout?”&We just got word thatStevie is out of surgery and going to be okay.&&I was wondering where hewas. I had a new joke to tell him. What was the surgery about?&Frannie quickly told Belle Ringerand the other two drivers sitting at his booth about Stevie's surgery, thensighed: &Yeah, I'm glad he is going to be OK,& she said. &But Idon't know how he and his Mom are going to handle all the bills. From what Ihear, they're barely getting by as it is.&Belle Ringer nodded thoughtfully,and Frannie hurried off to wait on the rest of her tables. After the morning rush, Franniewalked into my office. She had a couple of paper napkins in her hand.&What's up?& I asked.“I cleared off that table where Belle Ringer and his friendswere sitting after they left, and I found this. This was folded and tuckedunder a coffee cup.&She handed the napkin to me, andthree $20 bills fell onto my desk when I opened it. On the outside, in big,bold letters, was printed &Something For Stevie&.That was three months ago. Todayis New Year’s day , the first day Stevie issupposed to be back to work. His placement worker said he had been counting thedays until the doctor said he could work, I arranged to have his mother bringhim to work, met them in the parking lot and invited them both to celebrate hisday back. I took him and his mother by their arms. “Tocelebrate you coming back, breakfast for you and your mother is on me.”I led them toward a large cornerbooth. I could feel and hear truck customers and the rest of the stafffollowing behind as we marched through the dining room. We stopped in front ofthe big table. Its surface was covered with coffee cups and dinner plates, allsitting slightly on dozens of folded paper napkins.&First thing you have to do,Stevie, is clean up this mess,& I said. Stevie looked at me, and thenpulled out one of the napkins. It had &Something for Stevie& printedon the outside. As he picked it up, two $10 bills fell onto the table. Steviestared at the money, then at all the napkins peeking from beneath thetableware, each with his name printed on it. I turned to his mother. “There's more than $10,000 in cash and checks on that table, all from truckers and trucking companies that heard about your problems.Happy Thanksgiving!”While everybody else was busyshaking hands and hugging each other, Stevie, with a big, big smile on hisface, was busy clearing all the cups and dishes from the table.1.Why did the author have doubts about hiringStevie?&&& A.Stevie was not thatreliable.&&&&&&& B.Steviewas mentally disabled&&& C.Stevie was too short andfat.&&&&&&& D.Steviewas bad-tempered2.What made the author not fully satisfiedwith Stevie’s work?A.That he made customers uncomfortable.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.That he couldn’t pay attention to his duties.C.That he often spilled cups of coffee.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.That he usually cleaned the table too early.3.By saying the underlined words inParagaraph3, the author meant that the money she paid Stevie&&&&&&&.&&&
A.could help Stevie out of the trouble&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.could send Stevie to a group home C.couldn’tthoroughly solve Stevie’s problem&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D.could make a greatdifference to Stevie’s life4.Why did the author ask Stevie to clean upthe mess on the table?&&& A.Stevie could pick up themoney that was given to him.&&& B.The table was so dirtythat it needed cleaning.&&& C.It was Stevie’s duty to clean the table.&&& D.She wanted to congratulateStevie on his coming back.5.What made Stevie popular among the staff andcustomers in the restaurant?&&& A.His special appearance.&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.His hard work and optimism.&&& C.His funny speeches andactions.& D.His kind-hearted behaviour.&
阅读理解&&&&& A few years ago when my daughter was about two years old,I went through a difficult time.My marriage was in trouble,I was pregnant (怀孕的) and not particularly well and I didn't have much money.Looking back I think I was also a bit depressed,but I had to get on with taking care of my daughter the best I could.&&&&& One day I thought I would take my daughter to the park for a nice day as she liked there,and I thought it was a nice thing to do.I decided to walk because the bus was expensive,so it took us a long time to getthere.When we finally got there,immediately my daughter began to cry.She was cold,she was thirsty,and she wanted to go home.To be honest,I had not prepared properly.I didn't even have any money to buy a drink or to take the bus back home.I was so frustrated and cross with myself that my dream of a nice dayfailed.&&&&& &I started walking back home (it was nearly 2 miles),and my daughter would not stop crying.I felt somiserable and cross with myself and my life that I started crying too.&&&&& At that point a car stopped and a gentleman offered us a lift.He took us home,and seemed really concerned-he even offered me all his change!The kindness of this stranger to a stranger like me reallymade me feel better.I never saw him again and I don't know who he is but he really helped me out that day,so I just want to say thank you.1.The writer writes the passage in order to________.A.tell us how she got through her difficult timeB.tell us what kind of life she and her daughter once livedC.tell us a journey she and her daughter had without moneyD.express her sincere thanks for the driver who once helped her2.Why did the writer go through a difficult time when her daughter was about 2 years old?A.Because her daughter was too young and noisy and she didn't know how to care for her.B.Because she loved her daughter too much and took care of her as best as she could.C.Because she was worried about her own health.D.Because there is something wrong with her marriage,health and money.3.What finally caused the writer to cry? A.Her own poor situation.B.Her feeling sorry to her daughter.C.The lack of money.D.The failure of her dream of a nice day.4.According to the passage,we can infer that________.A.the writer could afford a bus ticket at that timeB.the writer will never forget the kindness given by the driverC.the writer received the driver's change and bought drinks for her daughterD.the driver knew the writer and her daughter
I ran across an old photo of him the otherday, thinking of some old things. He’s been dead for 25 years. His name wasRex.36& washis favorite recreation(娱乐). He had so much 37 in the water as any person I have known.You didn’t have to throw a stick in the water to 38 him to go in. Ofcourse, he would bring back a stick to you if you 39 throw one in.That 40 me of that night, 41he brought back a small box that he found somewhere--- how 42 nobodyever knew. Since it was Rex, it 43 easily have been half a race. The boxwasn’t a good one. It was just a 44 old piece that somebody 45.Still it was something he wanted, probably 46 there was some difficultyin transportation(运输). And that he thought could test his courage. We first knew abouthis achievement when, deep in the night, we 47 him trying to get the boxup onto the porch(门厅). It sounded 48 two or three people were trying to tear thehouse 49 . We came downstairs and turned on the 50 light. Rex wason the top step trying to pull the thing up, but it had 51somehow. Andhe was just holding his own(坚持着). I suppose he would have held his own 52 dawn if we hadn’thelped him. The next day we carried the box miles away and threw it out. If wehad thrown it out in a 53 place, he would have brought it home again, asa small token(象征)ofhis strength in such matters. 54, he had been taught to carry heavywooden objects about and he was 55 of his skill.
A. Fighting
B. Swimming
C. Barking
D. Running
B. trouble
C. danger
D. difficulty
A. reminds
D. .suggests
C. should
A. priceless
B. worthless
C. valuable
D. important
B. forgot
C. deserted(遗弃)
D. remained
A. because
B. only if
C. even if
D. in case
C. watched
D. caught
D. at least
B. kitchen
C. bedroom
A. rolled
B. stopped
C. caught
D. broken
B. before
D. during
A. distant
B. nearby
C. silent
A. In all
B. As a result
C. At last
D. After all
C. ashamed
D. doubtful
【答案】 21.B 22.A 23.C 24.C 25.A 26.D 27.A 28.A 29.B 30.C 31.A 32.B 33.C 34.D 35.D 36.C 37.C 38.B 39.D 40.A 【解析】略 【题型】完型填空 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】人物传记类 【结束】 11【题文】& With its budget of $80 million , John Woo as director, and an all-star cast(明星云集的演员阵容), Red Cliff is the most expensive and ambitious Asian-financed film ever. Last week I saw the release of the second part, and boy oh boy does it shows. But watching the film as a foreigner I felt I was missing out on something. Not knowing my Cao Cao's from my Zhou Yu's, I was not even sure whom I wanted to win. Certainly after the opening scene, in which Cao Cao is seen watching a game of Cuju, an ancient Chinese variation of football, I knew who had my support. After all, any man who enjoys his football is someone after my own heart. But after Cao Cao resorted to some evil strategies against his enemies in the south, I wasn't so sure he was the man I should be rooting for.
And there is a lot more to Red Cliff 2 than just extravagant battle scenes. The film does not take itself too seriously. Conversations between leaders are littered with one-liners, many of which had the audience in laughter. There is even enough to keep fans of more romantic entertainment happy too. This includes a charming relationship between a southern spy(侦探)and an innocent northern soldier. The characters' interaction provides some genuinely heart-warming moments in the middle of the battle. Clocking in at(结束于)around two hours, the film certainly does justice to the history story. When I walked out the cinema, I felt as drained(精疲力竭) as Cao Cao's soldiers must have 1,800 years ago. 41.By expressing “boy oh boy” in the first paragraph, the author seems to show that _______.
A.the film characters are like boys who are childish.
B.the film provides amazing and surprising scenes for audience.
C.the film is suitable for younger boys to watch.
D.the film scene is so bloody that boys shouldn’t watch it.
42.When did the author change his attitude toward Cao Cao?
A.When he read the history story about Cao Cao.
B.When he saw Cao Cao was watching a game of Cuju,
C.When he realized that Cao Cao took some bad measures to beat his enemies.
D.When he saw the romantic love story of Cao Cao and a southern spy.
43.The following factors of the film are all mentioned in the passage except_______.
A.high budget
B.leading roles
C.actors and actress
D.conversations
44.From the passage we can infer that_______.
A.the author is a football fan in a foreign country.
B.Cuju is the name of an ancient Chinese variation of football.
C.the film Red Cliff 2 lasts about two hours.
D.the author was very tired after about two hours’ battle.
【答案】 45.B 46.C 47.C 48.A 【解析】略 【题型】阅读理解 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】新闻报道类 【结束】 12【题文】Safety and Security Procedures Your safety and the security of your personal property are of the primary concern to those of us who welcome you as our guest. We urge you to take advantage of the following suggestions. YOUR VEHICLE Lock your vehicle and do not leave money or valuable items inside. We are not responsible for their loss. TRAVELING Be good at noticing things around you when sightseeing or traveling. Stay in well-lit and heavily traveled areas. Don’t display large amounts of cash. GUEST ROOM SECURITY For additional security use the deadbolt (插锁) provided on your door and make sure the windows are locked. As an additional precautious measure, please secure the secondary locks provided. Do not admit anyone to your room without first making identification. A one-way viewer is provided in your door to assist with identification. If there is any doubt about the person’s identity, please contact the Front Desk. SAFETY BOXES Do not leave money or valuables in your room or vehicle. We provide free safety boxes for your use. Hotel is not responsible for items left in room valued over $200. KEYS Safeguard your key. Please do not leave it in the door. Do not give your key to others or leave it unattended. Please leave your key at the Front Desk when you check out. REPORTING Please report any suspicious activity, or safety concerns to management. FIRE Please familiarize yourself with the nearest fire exits. Report fire or smoke to the hotel operator. In the unlikely event of a fire, please move quickly and calmly to the nearest safe exit and leave the building. Avoid the use of elevator. 49.The suggestions are most probably from ______.
A.a hotel manager
B.a police officer
C.an experienced traveler
D.a tour guide
50.Which of the following is TRUE?
A.It is advised to travel to places where there are few people.
B.The hotel is not responsible for anything you lose.
C.Don’t report to the manager unless you are sure something is going wrong.
D.You’d better use the deadbolt and the secondary locks for safety.
51. If you feel doubtful about a stranger who knocks at the door, you should _____.
A.let the person in after you have got his/her name
B.open the door to check the person’s ID card
C.call the Front Desk to make sure
D.contact the local police for assistance
52.What does the underlined part “In the unlikely event of a fire” mean?
A.In case a fire happens, though it is not very possible
B.If a fire happens when some big events are taking place.
C.In case a fire happens in a public building.
D.If a fire breaks out and it is getting out of control.
【答案】 53.A 54.D 55.C 56.A 【解析】略 【题型】阅读理解 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】广告布告类 【结束】 13【题文】The new iPhone 3G should please everyone. Its look and feel are only slightly improved, but a faster network loads Web pages more quickly, true GPS functionality allows it to easily find places nearby, and the new $199 price (down from $400) makes it an affordable luxury.
Before deciding whether to buy, however, make sure you can actually take advantage of the iPhone 3G's high-speed data network. 3G stands for third-generation, which in non-geek speak translates to Web pages and mail messages that, ideally, load about three times faster than on the original iPhone. Even better, 3G coverage enables you to make a phone call and surf the Web at the same time. That's great, if you live or work in a place where the 3G network of AT&T(美国电话电报公司)&(the sole wireless carrier of the iPhone) is active. That's not so great in cities like New York where AT&T's cellular coverage is awful. As one of my colleagues in New York City, who bought the original iPhone, commented, &It's just a toy. You can't make phone calls on it, so I carry my Verizon phone with me all the time.&
The real fun begins when you tap on the icon called &App Store& and start browsing the hundreds of add-on applications that have been developed just for the iPhone. You'll find tons of games (I like JirboBreak, a free game inspired by the Atari classic Breakout) and mobile versions of popular websites like Pandora, Facebook, MySpace and the New York Times. Most apps will cost you, but the vast majority are $9.99 or less. The apps work on the old iPhones too, but you'll enjoy them a lot more on the iPhone 3G because many of the programs, including Yelp (local business reviews), Whrrl (mobile social networking) and UrbanSpoon (restaurant reviews), use your exact location — provided by the iPhone 3G's GPS chip — to make recommendations. The apps also load much faster over the 3G network. 57.The new iPhone 3G has following features except that _______
A.It looks and feels better
B.It has a faster network
C.It is easy to locate a place
D.It is too expensive for people to buy
58.Why do one of my colleagues carry Verizon phone with him all the time? ______.
A.Because iPhone 3G is just a toy.
B.ecause he prefers Verizon phone better.
C.Because AT&T's cellular coverage is terrible there
D.Because Verizon phone enables him make a phone call and surf the Web at the same time
59.Which of the following statements is NOT true according to the passage. ____.
A.App Store will offer you great fun.
B.many apps have been developed for the iPhone.
C.Most apps are very expensive.
D.Pandora, Facebook, MySpace and the New York Times are popular websites.
60.From the passage we know that the attitude of the author toward iPhone 3G is _____.
A.doubtful
B.appreciative
C.optimistic
D.pessimistic
【答案】 61.D 62.C 63.C 64.B 【解析】略 【题型】阅读理解 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】经济类 【结束】 14【题文】Birds that are half-asleep—with one brain hemisphere (半球) alert and the other sleeping—control which side of the brain remains awake, according to a new study of sleeping ducks. Earlier studies have documented half-brain sleep in a wide range of birds. The brain hemispheres take turns sinking into the sleep stage characterized by slow brain waves. The eye controlled by the sleeping hemisphere keeps shut, while the wakeful hemisphere’s eye stays open and alert. Birds also can sleep with both hemispheres resting at once. Decades of studies of bird groups led researchers to predict extra alertness in the end-of-the-row sleepers which tend to be attacked more easily. Sure enough, the end birds tended to watch carefully on the side away from their companions. Ducks in the inner spots showed no preference for gaze direction. Also, birds napping at the end of the line depend on single-hemisphere sleep, rather than total relaxation, more often than inner ducks did. Turning 16 birds through the positions in a four-duck row, the researchers found that compared with 12 percent for birds in internal spots, outer birds half-asleep during some 32 percent of napping time. “We believe this is the first evidence for an animal behaviorally controlling sleep and wakefulness at the same time in different regions of the brain,” the researchers say. The results provide the best evidence for a long-standing assumption that single-hemisphere sleep evolved as creatures scanned for enemies. The preference for opening an eye on the lookout side could be widespread, he predicts. He’s seen it in a pair of birds napping side-by-side in the zoo and in a single pet bird sleeping by a mirror. The mirror-side eye closed as if the reflection were a companion and the other eye stayed open. Useful as half-sleeping might be, it’s only been found in birds and such water animals as dolphins, whales, and seals. Perhaps keeping one side of the brain awake allows a sleeping animal to surface occasionally to avoid drowning. Studies of birds may offer unique insights into sleep. Jerome M. Siegel of the UCLA says he wonders if birds’ half-brain sleep “is just the tip of the iceberg.” He supposes that more examples may turn up when we take a closer look at other species. 65.According to the passage, birds often half sleep because ______.
A.they have to watch out for possible attacks
B.their brain hemispheres take turns to rest
C.the two halves of their brain are differently structured
D.they have to constantly keep an eye on their companions
66.What is implied about the example of a bird’s sleeping in front of a mirror?
A.An imagined companion gives the bird a sense of security.
B.Birds prefer to sleep in pairs for the sake of their security.
C.The phenomenon of birds napping in pairs is widespread.
D.A single pet bird enjoys seeing its own reflection in the mirror.
67. While sleeping, some water animals tend to keep half awake in order to ______.
A.alert themselves to the approaching enemy
B.emerge from water now and then to breathe
C.be sensitive to the ever-changing environment
D.avoid being swept away by rapid currents
68.By saying “just the tip of the iceberg”, Siegel suggests that ______.
A.half-brain sleep has something to do with icy weather
B.the mystery of half-brain sleep is close to being solved
C.most birds living in cold regions tend to be half sleepers
D.half-brain sleep may exist among other species
【答案】 69.A 70.A 71.B 72.D 【解析】略 【题型】阅读理解 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】科普类 【结束】 15【题文】People in China, as in other parts of the world, are waiting to see how U.S. President-elect Barack Obama will deal with global problems such as the current economic slowdown once he takes office. As Sam Beattie reports from Beijing, there is widespread hope for closer U.S.-Chinese cooperation.
For many students in Beijing, Mr. Obama symbolizes all that is possible in the United States. He's a popular winner here, seen as a self-made man who has made it to the top.
&I think he is very charming, and a president who can create a new era,& said Zhang Wei, a university student. &I like him very much and most of my friends do too.& Ni Weibo, another university student, agrees. &Sino-U.S. relations still need more cooperation,& she said. &I think he will help take it to a new era.& China's President Hu Jintao congratulated Mr. Obama within hours of his victory, saying he hoped bilateral ties could be made stronger. Political analysts here say China will be looking for the incoming president to avoid contentious issues such as Taiwan's independence, human rights and Tibet. Instead, they say Beijing would like Mr. Obama to focus on solving the global economic crisis, and to help China's slowing economy by opening up U.S. markets.
But trade relations might be a sticking point, says Renmin University's Professor of International Studies, Shi Yinhong. He warns, &There is a possibility that President Obama will take some protectionist measures which China will not accept, then trade disputes could develop to a degree that we have not seen ever before.& Despite making the headlines, Mr. Obama faces some tough challenges in managing the U.S. relationship with China. China is now a stronger and more confident country than the China his
predecessors dealt with. And in this time of economic uncertainty, analysts say it's a country with which Mr. Obama will want to maintain a good relationship. 73.What can we infer from the first three paragraphs?
A.Mr. Obama was popular with many students in Beijing mostly because he will take office soon.
B.Economic slowdown is the big problem that the world is facing and looking forward to solve except US
C.China’s President Hu Jintao congratulated Obama on his victory within hours.
D.Through Obama’s being elected, we can see all is possible in US and a new relationship may come.
74.What is not mentioned in this passage?
A.What Barack Obama is expected to do in dealing with the US-China relationship.
B.Why Barack Obama will maintain a good relationship with China.
C.How Barack Obama will deal with the current economic slowdown.
D.What image Barack Obama has given to Chinese people.
75. What does “ a sticking point”( in para.7 ) mean?
A.a twist point
B.a disputed point
C.a good beginning
D.a understanding point
76.What is the best title for this report?
A.US-Chinese Cooperation Under the Current Economic Slowdown
B.Obama, Seen As A Popular Winner In China
C.Chinese Want Stronger Ties With US Under Obama Administration
D.The Current Economic Problem faces China As Well As US
【答案】 77.D 78.C 79.B 80.C 【解析】略 【题型】阅读理解 【适用】一般 【标题】2011届云南省昆明三中高三上学期第二次月考英语卷 【关键字标签】政治经济文化类 【结束】
阅读下列材料,从每题所给的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出最佳选项。
  I try not to be biased, but I had my doubts about hiring Stevie.His social worker assured me that he would be a good, reliable busboy.But I had never had a mentally handicapped employee.He was short, a little fat, with the smooth facial features and thick-tongued speech of Down's Syndrome(唐氏综合症).I thought most of my customers would be uncomfortable around Stevie, so I closely watched him for the first few weeks.
  I shouldn't have worried.After the first week, Stevie had my staff wrapped around his stubby little finger, and within a month my trucker regulars had adopted him as their official truck stop mascot.After that, I really didn't care what the rest of the customers thought of him.He was like a 21-year-old in blue jeans and Nikes, eager to laugh and eager to please, but fierce in his attention to his duties.Every salt and pepper shaker was exactly in its place, not a coffee spill was visible, when Stevie got done with the table.Our only problem was convincing him to wait to clean a table until after the customers were finished.
  Over time, we learned that he lived with his mother, a widow who was disabled.Money was tight, and what I paid him was probably the difference between them being able to live together and Stevie being sent to a group home.
  That's why the restaurant was a gloomy place that morning last August, the first morning in three years that Stevie missed work.He was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester getting a heart surgery.His social worker said that people with Down's syndrome often had heart problems at an early age, and there was a good chance he would come through the surgery in good shape and be back at work in a few months.
  A ripple of excitement ran through the staff later that morning when word came that he was out of surgery, in recovery and doing fine.Frannie, my head waitress, let out a war whoop and did a little dance in the aisle when she heard the good news.Belle Ringer, one of our regular trucker customers, stared at the sight of the 50-year-old grandmother of four doing a victory shimmy beside his table.He ginned.“OK, Frannie, what was that all about? ” he asked.
  “We just got word that Stevie is out of surgery and going to be okay.”
  “I was wondering where he was.I had a new joke to tell him.What was the surgery about? ”
  Frannie quickly told Belle Ringer and the other two drivers sitting at his booth about Stevie's surgery, the sighed.“but I don't know how he and his mom are going to handle all the bills.From what I hear, they’re barely getting by as it is.”
  Belle Ringer nodded thoughtfully, and Frannie hurried off to wait on the rest of her tables.
  After the morning rush, Frannie walked into my office.She had a couple of paper napkins in her hand.
  “What's up? ” I asked.
  “I cleared off the table where Belle Ringer and his friends were sitting after they left, and I found this.This was folded and put under a coffee cup.”
  She handed the napkin to me, and three $20 bills fell onto my desk when I opened it.On the outside, in big, bold letters, was printed “Something For Stevie” .
  That was three months ago.Today is Thanksgiving Day, the first day Stevie is supposed to be back to work.His social worker said he's been counting the days until the doctor said he could work.I arranged to have his mother bring him to work, met them in the parking lot and invited them both to celebrate his day back.I took him and his mother by their arms.“To celebrate you coming back, breakfast for you and your mother is on me.”
  I led them toward a large corner booth at the rear of the room.I could feel and hear the rest of the staff following behind as we marched through the dining room.We stopped in front of the big table.Its surface was covered with coffee cups, saucers and dinner plates, all sitting slightly crooked on dozens of folded paper napkins.
  “First thing you have to do, Stevie, is clean up this mess, ” I said.
  Stevie looked at me, then pulled out one of the napkins.It had “Something for Stevie” printed on the outside.As he picked it up, two $10 bills fell onto the table.Stevie stared at the money, then at all the napkins peeking from beneath the tableware, each with his name printed on it.
  I turned to his mother.“There's more $10, 000 in cash and checks on that table, all from truckers and trucking companies that heard about your problems.Happy Thanksgiving.”
  Well, it got real noisy about that time, with everybody hollering and shouting, and there were a few tears, as well… but you know what's funny?
  While everybody else was busy shaking hands and hugging each other, Stevie, with a big, big smile on his face, was busy clearing all the cups and dishes from the table….
Why did the author have doubts about hiring Stevie?
Stevie was not that reliable.
Stevie was mentally disabled.
Stevie was too short and fat.
Stevie was bad-tempered.
What made the author not fully satisfied with Stevie's work?
He made customers uncomfortable.
He couldn't pay attention to his duties.
He often spilled cups of coffee.
He usually cleaned the table too early.
By saying the underlined words in Para.3, the author meant that the money she paid Stevie ________.
could help Stevie out of the trouble.
couldn't thoroughly solve Stevie's problem.
could make a great difference to Stevie's life.
could send Stevie a group home
According to this text, Frannie sighed for Stevie's ________.
health problem
work problem
finance problem
mental problem
Why did the author ask Stevie to clean up the mess on the table?
It was Stevie's duty to clean the table.
The table was so dirty that it needed cleaning.
Stevie could pick up the money that was given to him.
She wanted to congratulate Stevie on his coming back.
听力(共两节,满分30分)
第一节(共5小题;每小题1.5分,满分7.5分)
听下面5段对话。每段对话后有一个小题,从题后所给的A、B、C三个选项中选出最佳选项。听完每段对话后,你都有10秒钟的时间来回答有关小题和阅读下一小题。每段对话仅读一遍。
W:Did you all enjoy the film yesterday?
M:John was the only one who didn’t.
1.Who enjoyed the film yesterday?
B.All except John.
C.Everyone, including John.
M:Aren’t you going to apologize for breaking that window?
W:Why should I?I didn’t throw the ball.
2.Who broke the window?
A.The boy.
B.The girl.
C.Someone else.
W:Have you moved into your new house yet?
M:Yes, already.
W:How do you like it?
M:It’s small but quiet.
3.What are they talking about?
A.A new house.
B.A new friend.
C.A new garden.
W:I’m returning the book you lent me.
M:That isn’t my book.
W:It’s not?That’s funny.It must belong to your brother then.
M:Should I give it to him?
W:Thanks.Here you are.
4.Who is the owner of the book?
A.The man himself.
B.The man’s brother.
C.The woman’s brother.
M:The study with all those bookshelves would be very useful.
W:And here is the kitchen with a large table and a fridge as well.
5.Where does the conversation most probably take place?
A.In a house.
B.In a park.
C.In a library.
第二节(共15小题;每小题1.5分,满分22.5分)
听下面5段对话或独白。每段对话或独白后有几个小题,从题后所给的A、B、C三个选项中选出最佳选项。听每段对话或独白前,你有时间阅读各个小题,每小题5秒钟;听完后,各小题给出5秒的作答时间。每段对话或独白读两遍。
听第6段材料,回答第6~8题。
W:Sir!Please take me to the airport as quickly as possible.
M:OK!I will drive as fast as I can.When is your flight?
W:9∶30.
M:Don’t worry.We will be there on time.
W:You see, it takes quite a long time to pass the customs.
M:I know.Is this the first time you are travelling by air?
W:Yes, and this is the first time for me to go abroad.
M:No wonder you look a little nervous.Are you going alone?
W:No, five other teachers will go together with me.
6.What’s the relationship between the two speakers?
A.Passenger and taxi driver.
B.Husband and wife.
C.Newly-made friends.
7.What time does the plane take off?
A.At 9∶13.
B.At 9∶30.
C.At 9∶20.
8.Why is the woman in such a hurry?
A.She is going to see five teachers off at the airport.
B.It’s almost time for her plane to take off.
C.It’s her first time to take a plane and she is a little nervous.
听第7段材料,回答第9~10题。
W:Do you have a plan for your holidays?
M:Yes, I’ll go back to my hometown.
W:To see your grandparents?
M:Yes, and also to do some farming.
W:You mean you know how to farm?
M:Yes.I did that every summer during holidays.
W:I didn’t know that a city boy can do farm work.Can I go there with you?I’d like to learn to do some farming.
M:Sure, my grandparents would be very happy to see you.
W:Are you sure?
9.What are the speakers mainly talking about?
A.Farming.
B.Holiday plans.
C.Grandparents.
10.Where did the man grow up?
A.In the country.
B.At the seaside.
C.In the city.
听第8段材料,回答第11~13题。
W:Why did you sell the car?
M:It was giving me too much trouble.I was spending so much money on it that I was…er…spending more money than it was worth.Unfortunately, of course, when you actually sell the car, you’ve already, spent the money on it, so you lose both ways.
W:What was wrong with your old car?
M:The engine needed a lot of repairs and the wheels were giving trouble now and then.When I set off on a journey, it gave me a sort of feeling that I might not get to the other end.So I decided to change it.
W:Is the new car good?
M:Yes.It’s newer, more comfortable, and it hasn’t given me any trouble at all.When I set off, I’m quite sure that I’ll be able to get to the other end safely.
11.What did the man do about his old car?
A.He sold it.
B.He repaired the engine.
C.He gave it to his friend as a present.
12.How did the man feel about his old car?
A.It would go far safely.
B.It was in pretty good condition.
C.He shouldn’t have spent money having it repaired.
13.How does the man feel about his new car?
A.We are not sure.
B.It’s even worse than the old one.
C.It’s much better than the old one.
听第9段材料,回答14~16题。
M:Excuse me, Miss Smith, I cannot come to class tomorrow.
W:You missed two classes last week.You’ve missed a lot of lessons already.I think you should work a little harder to make up for them.
M:Yes, I will, Miss Smith.
W:Well, now, why can’t you attend my class tomorrow?
M:My grandfather is seriously ill and my family is going to visit him in the hospital tomorrow.
W:It seems to be an excuse.All right, you are excused.By the way, which hospital has your grandfather been in?
M:Which hospital? Er-er…he is in St.George’s Hospital.
W:St.George’s Hospital? That’s interesting.It has been closed for repair for the past two months.Tony Banks, you’re trying to cut my class again.You’re coming to my class tomorrow and staying after class for extra work.
14.What can we learn about the boy?
A.His grandfather is seriously ill.
B.He is tired of learning.
C.He is a good student.
15.What makes that woman know the boy is lying?
A.The fact that the hospital has been closed for 2 months.
B.The fact that the boy has cut classes before.
C.She met the boy’s grandfather only minutes ago.
16.What does the teacher decide to do?
A.Give the boy permission to see his grandfather.
B.Punish the boy by having him stay for extra work after class.
C.Go to the hospital to see the boy’s grandfather
17.How might the boy feel in the end?
A.Happy.
B.Moved.
C.Disappointed.
听第10段材料,回答第18~20题。
  It was about two o’clock in the morning, and…and suddenly I woke up, I heard a noise.I got out of bed and went slowly downstairs.There was a light in the living room.I listened very carefully.I could hear two men speaking quietly.
  “Burglars!” I thought.“Two of them!”Well, I was really frightened, so I went back upstairs, and immediately phoned they police from my bedroom.The police arrived quickly.They opened the front door with a special key and went into the living room.Then they came upstairs.“It’s all right now, sir, ”they explained.“We turned the television off for you!”
18.What did the speaker think had happened when he woke up?
A.The house was on fire.
B.Some guests had arrived.
C.The house was broken into.
19.Why didn’t the speaker get into the living room?
A.Because it was too dark there.
B.Because he was afraid.
C.Because the police were there.
20.What did the police find out?
A.The speaker had forgotten to turn off the TV before going to bed.
B.Two burglars (夜贼)were trying to steal valuable things.
C.Someone had opened the door with a special key.
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!

我要回帖

更多关于 hope your reply 的文章

随机推荐