spend time to doinvest t...

spend - definition of spend by The Free Dictionary
<div style="font-size:11text-align:margin-top:5color:#,092,270,005 visitors served.
Dictionary/thesaurus
&&&Also found in: , , , ,
Ads by Google:
Advertisement (Bad banner? Please
spent (spnt), spend·ing, spends v.tr.1.
T expend: spent an hour exercising.2.
To pay out (money).3.
T exhaust: The storm finally spent itself.4.
To pass (time) in a specified manner or place: spent their vacation in Paris.5. a.
T squander: spent all their resources on futile projects.b.
To give up (one's time or efforts, for example) sacrifice.v.intr.1.
To pay out or expend money.2.
To be exhausted or consumed.[Middle English spenden, partly from Old English -spendan (from Latin expendre, to expend; see
expend) and partly from Old French despendre, to weigh out; see
dispense.]spenda·ble adj.spender n.Synonyms:
spend, disburse, expend These verbs mean to pay or give out money or an equivalent: spent eight dollar disbursed fu expended all her energy teaching the class.Antonym: 1spend (sp&#603;nd) vb, spends, spending or spent1. to pay out (money, wealth, etc)2.
(tr) to concentrate (time, effort, thought, etc) upon an object, activity, etc3.
(tr) to pass (time) in a specific way, activity, place, etc4.
(tr) to use up completely: the hurricane spent its force. 5.
(tr) to give up (one's blood, life, etc) in a cause6.
(intr) to be used up or exhausted7.
(Physiology) spend a penny Brit to urinaten8.
(Banking & Finance) an amount of money spent, esp regularly, or allocated to be spent[Old English spendan, from Latin
influenced also by Old French despendre to spend, from Latin
see expend, dispense] &#712;spendable adjspend
(sp&#603;nd)
spent, spend&#8226;ing. v.t.
to pay out or otherwise dispose of (money, resources, etc.).
to expend (time, labor, thought, etc.) on some enterprise.
to pass (time) in a particular manner, place, etc.:
to spend a few days in Boston.
The storm had spent its fury.
to give (one's life, blood, etc.) sacrifice.
to spend money, energy, time, etc.
Obs. to be consumed or exhausted.
[;75; Middle E Old English -spendan (in &#257;spendan, forspendan to spend entirely or utterly) & West Germanic & Latin expendere to pay out, ]
spend&#8242;a&#8226;ble, adj.
spend&#8242;er, n.
spend - A blend of Latin pendere, "pay, weigh," and expendere, "pay out."See also related terms for .spendYou usually use the verb spend when you are talking about money or time. The past tense and past participle of spend is spent, not 'spended'.1. moneyWhen you spend money, you use it to pay for things.I had no very clear idea how much I had spent.Her husband had spent all her money.You say that someone spends money on something.We always spend a lot of money on parties.The buildings need a lot of money spent on them.2. timeIf you spend a period of time doing something, you do it from the beginning to the end of that time.I spent all day typing information into a computer.THey spent the night chatting intimately.spend & 1. 'spend'If someone does something from the beginning to the end of a period of time, you say that they spend the period of time doing it.We spent the evening talking about art.I was planning to spend all day writing.Be Careful!Don't say that someone spends a period of time 'in doing', 'on doing', or 'to do' something. Don't say, for example, 'We spent the evening in talking about art'.If someone is in a place from the beginning to the end of a period of time, you can say that they spend the time there.He spent most of his time in the library.We found a hotel where we could spend the night.You can say that someone spends a period of time in another person's company.I spent an evening with David.2. 'pass'You don't usually say that you 'pass time' doing something. Don't say, for example, 'We passed the evening talking about art'.However, if you do something to occupy yourself while you are waiting for something, you say that you do it to pass the time.He had brought a book along to pass the time.To pass the time they played games.3. 'have'If you enjoy yourself while you are doing something, don't say that you 'pass' or 'spend' a good time. Say that you have a good time.The kids are having a good time on the beach.We had a wonderful time visiting our friends.spendPast participle: spentGerund: spendingImperativePresentPreteritePresent ContinuousPresent PerfectPast ContinuousPast PerfectFutureFuture PerfectFuture ContinuousPresent Perfect ContinuousFuture Perfect ContinuousPast Perfect ContinuousConditionalPast ConditionalImperativespendspendPresentI spendyou spendhe/she/it spendswe spendyou spendthey spendPreteriteI spentyou spenthe/she/it spentwe spentyou spentthey spentPresent ContinuousI am spendingyou are spendinghe/she/it is spendingwe are spendingyou are spendingthey are spendingPresent PerfectI have spentyou have spenthe/she/it has spentwe have spentyou have spentthey have spentPast ContinuousI was spendingyou were spendinghe/she/it was spendingwe were spendingyou were spendingthey were spendingPast PerfectI had spentyou had spenthe/she/it had spentwe had spentyou had spentthey had spentFutureI will spendyou will spendhe/she/it will spendwe will spendyou will spendthey will spendFuture PerfectI will have spentyou will have spenthe/she/it will have spentwe will have spentyou will have spentthey will have spentFuture ContinuousI will be spendingyou will be spendinghe/she/it will be spendingwe will be spendingyou will be spendingthey will be spendingPresent Perfect ContinuousI have been spendingyou have been spendinghe/she/it has been spendingwe have been spendingyou have been spendingthey have been spendingFuture Perfect ContinuousI will have been spendingyou will have been spendinghe/she/it will have been spendingwe will have been spendingyou will have been spendingthey will have been spendingPast Perfect ContinuousI had been spendingyou had been spendinghe/she/it had been spendingwe had been spendingyou had been spendingthey had been spendingConditionalI would spendyou would spendhe/she/it would spendwe would spendyou would spendthey would spendPast ConditionalI would have spentyou would have spenthe/she/it would have spentwe would have spentyou would have spentthey would have spent
Verb1.spend - pass ti "how are you spending your summer vacation?" - serve as a soldier in the military - spend time at a lower socio-economic level than one's own, motivated by curiosity or
usage considered condescen "attending a motion picture show by the upper class was considered sluming in the early 20th century" - spend the weekend,
- spend or take a vacation,
- spend time in priso "He did six years for embezzlement",
- spend or pass, as with boredom or
of time - spend a ce reside temporarily,
- "We wintered on the Riviera"; "Shackleton's men overwintered on Elephant Island" - "We summered in Kashmir"2.spend - "spend money", , , , , , , ,
- use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week", , ,
- "waste not, want not" - be able "I can't afford to spend two hours with this person" - give money, usually in exchange f "I paid four dollars for this sandwich"; "Pay the waitress, please" - spend lavis "He blew a lot of money on his new home theater", ,
- "wanton one's money away" - spend at less than the normal rate - spend (money or other resources) unwisely,
spend as little as possible, , ,
- "Put money into bonds", ,
- spend sparingly, "This move will save money"; "The less fortunate will have to economize now" - "lay out thousands on gold"; "he laid out a fortune in the hope of making a huge profit", , , ,
- spend one's time idly or inefficiently - spend ti "He misspent his youth"3.spend - "I spend my pocket money in two days", , , , , , ,
- use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week" - spend more than available of (a budget) - spend less than the whole of (a budget, for example)spendverb1. ,
(slang), , ,
(Brit. informal),
(informal),
They have spent ?23m on new players. pay out , , , , , , 2. , , , , , , , , ,
This energy could be much better spent taking some positive action.3. , , ,
We spent the night in a hotel.4. , , ,
(slang), , , , , , , ,
My stepson was spending money like it grew on trees. use up , , , , , ,
spend [spend] (spent (pt, pp))A. VT1. (= pay out) [+ money] &#x2192; to spend sth on sth/sb &#x2192;
algo en algo/algnshe spends too much money on clothes &#x2192;
en they've spent a fortune on the house &#x2192; (se)han
the buildings need a lot spending on them &#x2192; a los
it's money well spent &#x2192; es
bien to spend a penny (Brit) (euph) &#x2192;
al 2. (= devote) [+ effort, time] &#x2192; we spend time, money and effort training these people &#x2192;
a formar a estas 3. (= pass) [+ period of time] &#x2192; where are you spending your holiday? &#x2192; ?dónde
las ?he spent eight years learning his trade &#x2192;
los he spends all his time sleeping &#x2192; se
A14. (= use up) [+ force, ammunition, provisions] (liter) &#x2192; the storm has spent its fury &#x2192; la
su I spend all my energy just getting to work &#x2192; nada
todas las the bullets spent themselves among the trees &#x2192; las
B. VI &#x2192; spend [&#x2c8;sp&#x25b;nd] [spent] (pt, pp) vt [+ money] &#x2192; to spend money on sth &#x2192;
de l'argent à qch [+ time, life] &#x2192; He spent a month in France &#x2192; Il a passé un
en .We spent the night in a hotel &#x2192; Nous avons passé la
dans un .to spend time on sth &#x2192;
sur qchto spend time doing sth &#x2192;
qch to spend effort doing sth &#x2192;
qch n &#x2192;
fplspend pret, ptp &spent& vt (= use) money &#x2192;
(on für); energy, strength &#x2192; ; time &#x2192; brauchen; I’ve spent all my strength &#x2192; ich habe meine
Kraft ; we spent a lot of time in useless discussion &#x2192; wir haben sehr viel Zeit mit
; I’ve spent three hours on this job &#x2192; ich habe drei
für diese
gebraucht; time well spent &#x2192;
genutzte Zeit (= pass) time, holiday, evening etc &#x2192; ; he spends all his spare time on his car/with his friends &#x2192; er
an seinem /mit seinen ; I spent the night with her/in a hotel &#x2192; ich habe bei ihr/in einem
; I spend my weekends sleeping &#x2192; ich
meine ; he spends his time reading &#x2192; er
seine Zeit mit
to spend money/time/effort on something (= devote to) &#x2192; /Zeit/Mühe für
(acc) &#x2192; ; I spent a lot of effort on that &#x2192; das hat mich viel
(= exhaust) to have spent itself (anger, fury) &#x2192; sich
haben; the storm had spent itself or its fury &#x2192; der
hatte sich
vi &#x2192;
; he was spending somewhat too freely &#x2192; er
ausspend [sp&#x25b;nd] (spent (pt, pp)) vta. (money) &#x2192; to spend money on sb/sth &#x2192;
per qn/qcwithout spending a penny &#x2192; senza
una to go to spend a penny (Brit) (fam, euph) &#x2192; andare a
(fig)(fam)b. (pass) &#x2192; , he spends his time sleeping &#x2192;
c. (devote) to spend time/money/effort on sth &#x2192;
//energie a qcI spent 2 hours writing that letter &#x2192; ho
quella spend (spend)
– past tense, past participle spent (-t)
to use up or pay out (money). He spends more than he earns. spandeer
харча
ξοδε?ω
????????? ??????
???? ????, ???? ?? ?????
membelanjakan
(i?)leisti
[]tērēt; izdot
membelanjakan
bruke penger
traci?, wydawa?
тратить
витрачати, тратити
tiêu, chi tiêu
to pass (time). I spent a week in Spain this summer. deurbring
прекарвам
verbringen
περν? (το χρ?νο μου)
(aega) veetma
??????, ?????? ????, ???????
provoditi (vrijeme)
melewatkan waktu
ey?a, dvelja
(pra)leisti
pavadīt (laiku)
menghabiskan masa
doorbrengen
проводить (время)
tillbringa
проводити
tiêu th?i gian, dùng th?i gi?
passar spent (spent)
adjective1.
used. a spent match. gebruikte
???????????
използван
verbraucht
χρησιμοποιημ?νο?
usado, gastado
???? ???? ???
potro?en, iskori?ten
elhasznált
sudah digunakan
nota?ur, uppurinn
esaurito, consumato
使用ずみの
panaudotas
sudah digunakan
(opp)brukt, utbrent
u?ywany, zu?yty
??????? ???
использованный
iskori??en
utt?md, f?rbrukad, f?rbi, slut
kullan?lm??
уживаний; в?дпрацьований
??????? ???
usat, gastat 2.
exhausted. By the time we had done half of the job we were all spent. uitgeput
???????? ???????
изтощен
εξουθενωμ?νο?
v?sinud, kurnatud
lopenuupunut
esausto, stremato, sfinito
へとへとの
pārguru?i; bez spēka
utmattet, utkj?rt
wyczerpany
усталый; выдохшийся
????????????
yorgunluktan bitmi?
精疲力盡的
стомлений, знесилений
ki?t s?c, m?t l?
精疲力竭的
esgotat 'spendthrift noun a person who spends his money freely and carelessly.
spandabelrig
????????? ???????
прахосник
perdulário
marnotratník, -ice
der/die Verschwender(in)
σπ?ταλο?
derrochador
(raha)raiskaja
dépensier/-ière
??????????
???????, ?????????
rasipnik, raspiku?a
ey?slukló
spendaccione
?vaistūnas
iz??ērdētājs
verkwister
?deland, pengesl?ser
osoba rozrzutna
??? ??? ?? ???? ???? ?? ?? ?? ??????
perdulário
транжира
márnotratník, -?ka
zapravljivec
???????????
марнотрат, мотяга
?????? ????
ng??i ?n tiêu hoang phí
malgastador spend &#x2192;
, vynalo?it
, kuluttaa
, l?gga ner
spend vi.&#160; [money] gastar, [energy] gastar, [time] pasar.
Want to thank TFD for its existence? , add a link to this page, or visit .
Page tools
Mentioned in& References in classic literature
Dictionary browser
Full browser
&I am not really a black crow, but an enchanted Prince, who has been doomed to spend his youth in misery. by
But so little were they, anymore than the others, inclined to oblige her, that if Sir John dined from home, she might spend a whole day without hearing any other raillery on the subject, than what she was kind enough to bestow on herself. by
I have withdrawn myself from the confusion of cities and multitudes, and spend my days surrounded by wise books,-- bright windows in this life of ours, lit by the shining souls of men. byMany of us invest valuable time,energy and money planning our vacations答案与解析
&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|&&|
您现在的位置:&&>>&&>>&&>>&&>>&&>>&正文
Many&of&us&invest&valuable&time,energy&and&money&planning&our&vacations答案与解析
&&&热&&&&&★★★
Many&of&us&invest&valuable&time,energy&and&money&planning&our&vacations答案与解析
作者:佚名
文章来源:
更新时间: 11:37:56
Many of us invest valuable time,energy and money planning our vacations. We do this because we know for sure that going on vacations must be good for us. Research proves this feeling without a doubt. Vacations help us perform better at work, improve our sleep quality and cushion us against depression.
Yet, despite these benefits, many of us return home with a feeling that our last vacation was OK - but not great. In order to change this, some mistakes should be avoided. A classic one for vacation planners is attempting to maximize value for money by planning trips that have too many components (组成部分)&#8226; Perhaps you’re planning a trip to Europe, seven cities in 10 days,and you realize it will cost only a little more to add two more destinations to the list Sounds fine in theory, but hopping from one place to the next hardly gives an opportunity to experience what psychologists call mindfulness - time to take in our new surroundings, time to be present and absorb our travel experiences. Another mistake is that we worry too much about strategic issues such as how to find a good flight deal,how to get from A to B,or which destinations to add or subtract from our journey. These issues may seem important, but our psychological state of mind is far more important.
Actually, vacation happiness is based on the following top rules. First, choose your travel companions wisely, because nothing contributes more significantly to a trip than the right companions. Second,don’t spend your vacation time in a place where everything is too expensive so as to maintain a positive mood. Third, shop wisely, for meaningful experiences provide more long-term happiness than physical possessions.
71. vocations【解析】通读全文,且根据文中多次提到的vocation可知本文大意是关于快乐的假期,故此处用vocations.
72. performance【解析】根据第一自然段中的Vocations help us perform better at work一句可知此处用perform的名词形式performance。
73. quality of sleep【解析】由第一自然段最后一句中的improve our sleep quality可知答案。
74. attempt【解析】根据第二自然段中的A classic one for vocation planners is attempting to maximize value for money…可知此处用attempt。
75. worry【解析】根据第二自然段中的Another mistake is that we worry too much…可知此处用worry。
76. good flight deal【解析】根据第二自然段中的…such as how to find a good flight deal可知答案。
77. adding【解析】根据第二自然段中的or which destination to add or subtract from our journey可知此处用adding。
78. rules【解析】根据第三自然段首句中的the following top rules可知此处用rules。
79. choice【解析】根据第三自然段中的First, choose your companions wisely可知此处用choice。
80. shopping wisely【解析】根据本段中的Third, shop wisely可知此处用shopping wisely。
试题录入:admin&&&&责任编辑:admin&
上一个试题: 下一个试题:
【字体: 】【】【】【】【】【】
  网友评论:(只显示最新10条。评论内容只代表网友观点,与本站立场无关!)

我要回帖

更多关于 spend time to do 的文章

随机推荐