make a contribution 可数to中的contribution可换成devotion吗?

contribution
美音:[&k?ntr?b&ju:??n
英音:[&k?ntr?b&ju:??n
n.捐献,贡献,投稿
contribution为高中词汇
&&词频:1228
tribut=to pay(付),to bestow(赠与)
contribution
/,k?ntr?'bju:?n; ,kɑntr?`bju??n/n ~ (to/towards sth)(a) [U] action of contributing 捐款; 捐助; 贡献; 促成; 投稿*the contribution of money to charity 慈善捐款.(b) [C] thing contributed 捐赠物; 稿件*a small contribution (ie of money) to the collection 少量捐款* The editor is short of contributions (ie articles) for the May issue. 编辑缺少五月号刊物用的稿件.* (fig 比喻) The signing of such a treaty would be a major contribution towards (ie would help greatly to bring about) world peace. 签订这样一项条约, 是对世界和平的重大贡献.
contribution
[C] something that you give or do in order to help something be successfulcontribution to/towards Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for his contribution to Quantum Theory. The school sees its job as preparing students to make a contribution to society.significant/substantial/valuable etc contribution Wolko made outstanding contributions to children's medicine. [C] an amount of money that you give in order to help pay for something a campaign contributioncontribution of A contribution of &25 will buy 15 books.contribution to/towards Contributions to charities are tax deductible. You can make annual contributions of up to $1000 in education savings accounts. [C] a regular payment that you make to your employer or to the government to pay for things that you will receive when you are no longer working, for example health care, a
etc income tax and national insurance contributionscontribution to Have you been making regular contributions to a pension plan? [C] a piece of writing, a song, a speech etc that forms part of a larger work such as a newspaper, book, broadcast, recording etccontribution from a magazine with contributions from well-known travel writers a Christmas album featuring contributions from Carly Simon, Amy Grant, and others[U] when you give money, time, help etc All the money has been raised by voluntary contribution.
contribution
电子电工词典:
1. We made a contribution to the disaster area.
&&&&我们捐助灾区。
2. What is the most valuable contribution employees make to their companies, knowledge or judgment?
&&&&员工对公司最有价值的贡献是什么,是知识还是判断力?
3. New technology has also made its own contribution to noise.
&&&&新技术也为噪音作了它的贡献。
4. In Britain, Calder Hall on the coast of Cumberland first made its contribution to the National Electricity grid in 1957.
&&&&在英国, 卡姆柏兰海岸上的考尔德豪尔电站在1957年首次为国家电网做出了贡献.Rethinking “Contribution” - 简书
Rethinking “Contribution”
Rethinking “Contribution”, Editor
The basic aim of science is theory.—: 8)
As I have begun my term as the Editor of Journal of Management, I have been forced to think about what the phrase contribution to theory really means. I once had a colleague denied tenure because some thought the six “A” publications did not represent a sufficient contribution. I’ve had a number of papers rejected over the years because reviewers felt there was not enough of a contribution. I cannot begin to describe how many times in my Associate Editor role I read comments by reviewers questioning the contribution of a particular study. Thus, now I have to provide guidance to 12 great Associate Editors and two accomplished Senior Associate Editors regarding what contribution should mean at JOM for the next 3 years.
Much has been written about theory, and the quote above from
always struck me, even as a graduate student, as somewhat strange. However, over the years, I have come to realize the ubiquity of theory, in that it infiltrates every aspect of our lives. We discipline our children based on some implicit or explicit theory about how to change their behavior. We invest our pensions based on some implicit or explicit theory about what generates wealth. We drive to work based on a theory as to which route we think will take the shortest time (based on traffic). In science, we try to systematically gather data to test the accuracy of our theories and to revise them when the data suggests. Van de Ven wrote, “Good theory is practical precisely because it advances knowledge in a scientific discipline, guides research toward crucial questions, and enlightens the profession of management” (: 486).
But what do we mean by theory?
describe theory as follows:Theory is the answer to queries of why. Theory is about the connections among phenomena, a story about why acts, events, structure, and thoughts occur. Theory emphasizes the nature of causal relationships, identifying what comes first as well as the timing of such events. Strong theory, in our view, delves into underlying processes so as to understand the systematic reasons for a particular occurrence or nonoccurrence. (p. 378)
So far, we can all agree on the importance of theory to both research and practice. However, having papers rejected when the leading comment from the Action Editor dealt with the “lack of theory” probably rates as one of my biggest professional pet peeves. Recognizing that this may not have been the only reason for the rejection, I still seethe when that criticism leads off a decision letter for a few reasons. First, sometimes the lack of theory stems more from a different view of what constitutes theory than from a true lack of it. For instance, having grown up in a micro tradition, I was indoctrinated into a mind set of explaining the relationships between the variables one measured based on some overarching theory (e.g., expectancy, goal setting, etc.). However, when I was initially exposed to more macro researchers who kept talking about “telling a story,” I felt like I had been dropped on a new planet. These stories usually consisted of taking an independent variable at one end, a dependent variable at the other end, and then proposing a bunch of flowery processes and variables in between that somehow happen but are not measured. Neither approa they are both just different and may serve as an obstacle to bridging the macro-micro divide ().
Second, the lack-of-theory concern may just mean a disagreement around which theory is most appropriate. A particular phenomenon could be explained by signaling theory, sense-making theory, or a host of other theories, yet because a reviewer doesn’t like the theory chosen by the author(s), the lack-of-theory criticism rears its ugly head.
Third, and most importantly, I believe that the fact that there is “no theory” should never, in and of itself, be reason enough to reject a manuscript in its initial submission. Theory can be added or changed, that is, as an editorial comment for authors to deal with in a subsequent revision. I should note, however, that in that subsequent revision, if the “lack of theory” still exists, then it may signal that the authors do not possess the capability to adequately leverage theory, and that then may be the time for such an omission to result in rejection.
Contribution to Theory
A more reasonable, yet potentially problematic, criticism of manuscripts stems from the lack of a “contribution to theory.” No top-tier journal can afford to waste valuable space on papers that simply reiterate what the field already knows, yet what the field “knows” may vary based on the perceptions of a reviewer. And to require that every paper contribute to theory may be detrimental to the field. In fact, Hambrick wrote, “The requirement that every paper must contribute to theory
it is probably a sign of our and it is costing us in multiple ways. These ways consisted of facts having to await theories, contorted, ponderous prose, and too little regard for simple tests” (: 1346).
For instance, if the literature had discussed a theoretical issue for a number of years and possibly even comes to conclude something about it based on logic and/or thought experiments, is a paper showing empirical support for the conclusion a contribution to theory? Certainly, few would argue against the necessity for theory testing. Yet,
found that only 9% of theoretical presentations in Academy of Management Review articles were ever tested. More problematic would be if their data actually reflected that empirical tests had been published for only 9% when, in fact, a higher percentage had been tested but not published because of a “lack of contribution to theory.”
Or what about the case where authors make a somewhat minor tweak to a research design to answer a slightly different question that has already been answered in the literature? : 493) stated, “Theoretical insights come from demonstrating how the addition of a new variable significantly alters our understanding of the phenomena by reorganizing our causal maps,” but that still leaves the evaluation of how much altering must take place for it to be considered a contribution. These areas present dilemmas for reviewers and Action Editors, as they must make their own judgments about the “incremental contribution” to the literature. At what point does the incremental contribution deserve publication in a top-tier journal?
Returning to our different approaches to theory, what about a study that presents an interesting narrative regarding what might be happening in a data set, but the data set itself has significant problems? I remember being part of a panel discussion a few years back where in response to my assertion that I am much more concerned about the quality of the data than the quality of the theoretical discussion, one of my macro colleagues stated, “For us it’s all about the theory, because our data is terrible.”
This illustrates the challenge of managing an interdisciplinary journal. Again, these judgment calls on the part of reviewers and editors cannot be pigeonholed into easy checklists. Rather, the guiding principle I suggest is that for studies with great data, we ask, “Does the theory provide enough explanation for the credibility of the data to come through?” and for those with poor data, the guiding principle is “Does the data provide enough support for the credibility of the theorizing to come through?”
Incremental Data Contribution
Finally, an emerging area that creates difficulty for judging contribution lies with multiple papers emerging from the same data set. We all know the difficulty of gaining data and, when possible, the value in gathering as much as possible. One should not spend months of person-hours putting together a data set to then be limited to one paper from it.
However, I have also seen papers submitted that had almost all the same variables as an existing paper, just with those variables configured differently (i.e., variables that were controls in one paper become independent variables in another). Thus, as an editorial team, we have to make judgments regarding at what point the data overlap between (or among) multiple studies becomes so great as to question the incremental contribution of the additional paper.
In order to do so, we have instituted a new step in the submission process requiring authors to note if other papers use the same data set and, if so, to delineate the overlap in variables in a comparative table. We certainly hope that authors feel free to justify the differences between papers in the cover letter so that we can make these judgments with more information regarding the larger context of the stream of research coming from the data. However, I believe that authors have the responsibility to self-report any data overlap, and not doing so will result in an immediate rejection.
I am blessed to have a great editorial team in whom I have great confidence. Cathy Maritan and David Allen have taken on the Senior Associate Editor roles and have been doing a great job. Sucheta Nadkarni, Anne Parmigiani, Bill Schulze, William Wan, and Devi Gnyawali serve as the Associate Editors for all t and Eden King, Fred Oswald, Craig Wallace, Bianca Beersma, Brian Hoffman, and Christopher Porter oversee all the micro manuscripts. Michelle Duffy and Dan Beal served as Associate Editors during the first 6 months of the transition, and I thank them for their contributions to the journal. As our team goes forward over the next 3 years, I do not suggest that we will get every call right, but I am sure that the collective expertise in this group will result in vastly more right decisions than wrong ones.
References
Hambrick D.
The field of management’s devotion to theory: Too much of a good thing? Academy of Management Journal, 50: .
Kacmar K. M.,Whitfield J. M.
An additional rating method for journal articles in the field of management. Organizational Research Methods, 3: 392-406.
Kerlinger F. P.
Foundations of behavioral research. New York: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston.
Sutton R. I.,Staw B. M.
What theory is not. Administrative Science Quarterly, 40: 371-384.
Van de Ven A. H.
Nothing is quite so practical as a good theory. Academy of Management Review, 14: 486-489.
Whetton D. A.
What constitutes a theoretical contribution? Academy of Management Review, 14: 490-495.
Wright P. M.,Coff R.,Moliterno T.
Strategic human capital: Crossing the great divide. Journal of Management, 40: 353-370.make a contribution to 对-作出贡献——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
make a contribution to 对-作出贡献 【】
题目列表(包括答案和解析)
为鼓励学生们为建设祖国, 实现 &四化&, 更加刻苦地学习, 你校特邀请清华大
学欧阳春教授来校作报告, 请你以校长办公室的名义, 拟一份英语书面通知。
要求如下:  
1. 时间: 4月1日, 星期六上午8:00  
2. 地点: 学校礼堂  
3. 内容: 请欧阳春教授作报告, 介绍杰出的科学家钱学森如何热爱祖国,
   献身科学, 为祖国科学事业的发展作出杰出的贡献。
4. 会后各班讨论: 90年代的中学生如何学习钱老。
5. 所有师生必须准时参加。  
6. 应使用的词汇:   outstanding 杰出的, scientific cause 科学事业,
  the four modernizations 四个现代化, make a contribution to 对…作出贡献, devote oneself to 献身于
注意事项:  
1. 按要求文体写, 不要逐字逐句翻译。  
2. 字数: 100─120个词。
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!make a contribution 怎么用,后面接什么,给几个例句
make a contribution作出贡献I make a contribution of $100 to the famine relief fund.我向救灾基金会捐献了一百元钱.He make a contribution of Inestimable Importance In the field of dynamics他在力学领域作出了一项无可估量的贡献
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码

我要回帖

更多关于 contribution 可数 的文章

随机推荐