a part of another large thing在这短语中介宾短语做什么成分分呢?

/mydoc-.html
/bryantong
字号:大 中 小
Renowned US economist John Rutledge, who helped frame the fiscal policies of two former US presidents, warned that an abrupt rise in China’s currency could lead to another Asian financial crisis. The founder of Rutledge Capital told the media that if the Yuan rises too fast and too high, it would discourage foreign direct investment in China, while encouraging currency manipulation by market speculators. Currency change is more difficult for investors and more exciting for speculators. The Chinese currency has appreciated by more than 5% since July 2005 when the country allowed the Yuan to float against the US dollar with a daily band of 0.3%. The analysts are expecting the currency to rise another 4% by the end of this year. But if the Yuan rose 20% to 30% as some US politicians are demanding, it would jeopardize the Chinese economy, causing a recession and deflation. Similar advice to allow an abrupt appreciation of a currency led to the Asian financial crisis in 1997, and came very close to destroying the Japanese economy. The US economist says that investors want foremost to avoid risks associated with large fluctuations in currency and inflation. They calculate returns on their investment after evaluating risks to benefits such as lower labor cost. A rising Yuan will drive up labor costs for foreign investors and would not result in higher wages for workers. Earlier reports said that currency speculators had pumped 200 billion US dollars into China by the end of last year with another 70 billion US dollars flowing into the economy in the first 3 months of this year. There’s no way to accurately track the flow of this type of investment, and many economists disagree that the amount of speculative cash is so high. Instead of further appreciating its currency, China should make the Yuan convertible to the US dollar. If the Yuan were more easily converted into foreign currencies, it would allow Chinese companies to expand overseas, facilitate the purchase of foreign technology, and provide management experience and capital that China needs. It would also shrink Forex reserves and reduce speculative money coming into the country.
currency, deflation, inflation, speculator, Forex (foreign exchange) reserves, FDI (foreign direct investment)
Jeopardize
Listening comprehension
Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following conversation.
W: Hi, Robert, you are 20 now, right?
W: What do you think about what Nina said?
M: I definitely agree that younger people are less intimiliated by technology. But when I compare myself with other people my age, I don't see myself particularly good with computers. Most of my friends are much better with computers than I am. But this summer, I worked in an office with lots of adults. And I realized that I'm a lot more comfortable with technology than they are.
W: Do you use email a lot?
M: Well, I do agree that letters make better keep-seeks. But email's just so much more convenient. For example, I'm away at college now, and I don't know how I could keep in touch with my high school friends without email. I like email because it's such a casual form. of communication. It's great for just saying "hello" and checking upon people. For more standard interaction, I still but for just telling people that you thought of them that day or that you miss them, email is great.
W: How often would you say that you email people?
M: Well, I check my email at least 5 times a day, I would have to admit. Actually, probably a bit more. I also have I AM, that is instant messaging, can figured so that it loads the program automatically whenever I turn on my computer. So I AM on that is as well. It definitely makes you spend more time on the computer than you meant to. Sometimes I just turn on my computer to check on one little thing. And all of a sudden, three people send me instant messages, and I talk to them for half an hour. But it's not a waste of time. Because I love to hear from my friends.
W: So young people are better with computers than adults?
M: I don't know if kids are really better at computers or just more used to them. Computers can definitely be an intimidating, especially when they go wrong. For people who are familiar with them, I think a typical response is to use them as little as possible. My dad is like that. But once you get over your initial fear of just fitteling around with them and texting things out. It becomes a lot more fun and it's really not difficult.
M: What about your friends?
M: Well, I guess my generation is hooked on the Internet. But people don't make it their whole life. It's just one other thing they like to do. It really opens up a lot of doors. The Internet, it makes a lot of things accessible. My college now is a pretty web-based school. At first, I was a little bit surprised, at how much the Internet was used. Like for example, all of my syllable for my classes are on line.
W: Do you think the Internet has any disadvantages?
M: Well, something that is bad about Internet is that not everyone has access to web. I feel like when my generation is grown up in part of the work force, computer skills are just going to be assumed. They want to be an added asset like I think as a ...so what will happen to the people in my generation who don't have these computer skills, you know? There're really going to be disadvantages. So I think the Internet could increase the disparities between different classes which is horrible or maybe technology just stimulates the existing disparities in a different way. I'm not sure, in my own life, though, I love having the Internet. I don't know what I do without it.
Question1. Which of the following statements does Robert definitely agree with?
Question2. Robert explains why he uses emails a lot, which of the following is not one of his reasons?
Question 3. What makes Robert spend a lot of time on the computer?
Question 4. What does Robert is bad about the Internet?
Question 5. According to Robert, what will happen to people in his generation when they don't have these computer skills?
&Computer and Internet. 5,
Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following news.
Islamabad, Pakistan
&Pakistan’s foreign ministry defended its refusal to allow US officials to visit a nuclear reactor that the United States helped build in 1960s, Aurymoon,& highly enriched uranium format. The uranium had been provided by the United States. ‘We said no, because it’s now our property and we will not return it.’ foreign ministry spokesman Aodubaseat said in a statement. ‘This only shows that Pakistan is very sensitive about its nuclear program. No one can touch Pakistan’s nuclear facilities and assets.’
Washington, the United States
Foreign government reacted with a mixture of denials and dismissiveness yesterday to the massive leaking of US diplomatic cables, questioning the decision to make the material public but also insisting, for the most part, that revelations were either untrue or unlikely to affect world events. The Iranian president Mahmud Ahmadinejad accused the United States of purposely leaking the confidential cables, some of which discussed Arab nations’ concerns about Iran’s nuclear program and whether it should be contained by diplomatic efforts or destroyed. Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the cables provide proof that the Arab world agrees with his country’s assessment that Iran is the chief danger to the middle east.
Porter Prince, Haiti
A quiet tension settled over Haiti on Monday as people waited to learn how electoral officials proceeded in handling Sunday’s chaos among the national balloting and the international community hope the earthquake-ravaged country did not yet again descent into violence. A leading presidential candidate Singer Michelle Martell , who joined the 11 others the day before in asking for the elections to be canceled, suggested he was now open to let his results be counted while still insisting a massive fraud had been committed.& Word was spreading that M and M……a professor and former first lady with the front runners despite allegations that president P try to steal the election for his unity party and its candidate Jude Salistine.&
Tokyo, Japan
Factories in Japan cut output in October, adding two evidence of an Asian wide slowdown&&&&&&&& and bolding ill for the rest of the world that is relied On the region to keep the global economy hopping. Japanese companies Cut production for the 4th month which fell by a biggest margin since February, 2010. The fall in Japan was expected, in fact, a drop of 1.8% was smaller than forecast 3.3% after a key stimulus measure incentive …. Fewer..cars expired in September and exports continue to cool. The drop, however, confirm the expectations that the world’s third largest economy would contract in the final quarter of the year after a stimulus-striven spurt in the third quarter.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Cancun, Mexico
Global talks on climate change opened in Cancun, Mexico on Monday with the toughest issues on resolved and little expectation of a breakthrough on shaping an international treaty to curb emissions of heat-trapping gases linked to global warming. The United States entered the talks in a weak position because of a lack of action on domestic climate and energy legislation and continuing disputes with China and other major developing nations over a verification of missions’ reductions. The United Nations negotiating process itself is on the line with many saying that the one hundred nation talks can not survive another deabarco, like that in Copenhagen in last December.
Question 6 Why did Pakistan’s foreign ministry refuse to allow the US officials to visit a nuclear reactor?&
Question 7 What did the Iranian president accuse the United States of in reacting to the massive leaking of US diplomatic cables?
Question 8 What was presidential candidate Michelle Martel‘s attitude toward the national balloting held on Sunday in Haiti?
Question 9 By what percentage did Japanese companies cut production for the fifth month since February, 2010?
Question 10 Which of the following statements does not apply to the global talks on climate changes held on Cancun, Mexico?
Question 11-15 are based on the following interview
Today we continue our series Traditional Dress All Throughout the World. Our journey takes us to Sri Lanka. Shanika Desilva, a native Sri Lankan now living in Los Angeles California share her thoughts on traditional dress in her country. Shanika, thanks for joining us today!
My pleasure.
First of all, I’d like to ask you, what’s the traditional clothing of Sri Lanka.
Well, for women, it’s Sari. It’s a long piece of cloth that’s trapped around your waist and then it goes over your shoulder.
Do most women in Sri Lanka wear Saris?
Most of the old women wear Sari every day. The younger women tend to wear dresses or pants or something.
Why don’t the younger women wear Saris?
Well I guess some of them feel that Saris are hot and difficult to walk in because they are long.
Sounds like Saris are not very practical.
Some people feel that way. Although women think Saris are old-fashioned they are great for formal occasions. But if you are hanging out with friends, you want something more modern.
So younger women want to be more modern.
Actually I shouldn’t say all younger women it depends on your family history. You see there are too many groups of people in Sri Lanka the Sintolese and Tamos then there are some other ethnic groups like Sri Lankan who are part European. The women who are part European tend to wear western clothing because they have relatives who wear western clothing but women who are Sintolese or Tamos tend to be more traditional
Because they didn’t have that western influence. So you are saying the family background can influence the way they are dressing
Yes I think it does.
We’ve been talking about what the women wear how about men. Do they have traditional clothing?
The men I guess used to wear a Sarans, a long piece of cloth that’s wrapped around the waist.
You say “used to” do they wear them anymore?
People who live in the countryside still wear Sarans but in the city men wear pants and shirts they only wear Sarans to relax at home.
Interesting. Can I switch a gear and ask you some personal questions?
Is traditional clothing important to you?
It’s funny because when I was a kid and growing up in Sri Lanka I didn’t want to wear Saris but now I’m older I’d like to wear them sometimes like my wedding. I wore a white Sari in my wedding.
When has your attitude changed do you think?
I guess when you are older you can see the value in it more. When you are younger you are more interested in being a style. wearing Levis and staff like that now I think about something unique from my culture. It’s nice to have something to wear and in U.S. a sari is really exotic.
It certainly is. Well unfortunately our time’s up. Thanks for talking with us, Shanika.
You are welcome.&/S
11 what’s the main topic of this interview?
12 there are several reasons why young women don’t wear Saris in Sri Lanka which of the following is not one of their reasons?
13 according to the interviewee which of the factors also affects the way people dress in Sri Lanka?
14 what can we know from the interview of men’s clothing in Sri Lanka?
15 why has the interviewee’s attitude towards clothing changed?
Question 16-20
So is everyone awake? I guess that’s a good question that starts an early morning lecture about sleep. Seriously how many of you feel you didn’t get enough sleep last night? Raise your hands. Hum, about a third of you. That’s interesting. Because that shows that you are not so different from the population in general, about 30% of the adults say they frequently don’t feel rested when they wake up in the morning. And why is that? Well in most cases is because they stay up too late parting or watching TV. But in a small percentage of cases, they could be suffering from a sleep disorder. A condition that interferes with a person’s ability to sleep normally. There are many different times of sleep disorders. But the three that I want to describe today are called sleep Apnea, narcolepsy and insomnia.
Ok, the first disorder I listed is Apnea, that’s a-p-m-e-a. People with sleep apnea stop breathing. Sometimes 10 seconds or longer, and not just once. It can happens several hundred times a night. Each time this happens, they wake up and go right back to sleep. So their sleep is constantly interrupted. But in the morning, they don’t remember waking up. They just feel tired and sleepy. Then how do you know if you have this problem? The usual symptoms are heavy breathing and snoring combining with feeling tired all the time. The cause of this problem is that air can’t go into and out of the nose or mouth usually because the throat is too relaxed. Consequently the treatment is very simple. The person wears a soft mask, attached to a machine that helps to regulate his or her breathing through out the night. In strange cases of apnea, surgery maybe necessary.
The Second sleep disorder that I want to describe today is called narcolepsy. That spelled n-a-r-c-o-l-e-p-s-y. Perhaps you’ve seen a movie in which people are sitting at a table eating and talking. And suddenly one person just falls over. Perhaps his face falls into his soup.
It’s funny in a movie, but in reality this could be a symptom of narcolepsy. Narcoleptic get a sudden attack of sleep in the middle of the day any time any place. They can’t control it. They simply fall asleep for brief periods of time. By the way this Disorder appears to be particularly frequent among students enrolled in at eight a.m. classes. But seriously, narcolepsy can’t be quiet scary. The cause is high levels of certain chemicals in the part of the brain that regulate sleep. Once narcolepsy is diagnosed, it’s usually treated successfully with medication. Sleep Apnea and narcolepsy are serious problems. But they are rare conditions.
In contrast, the third sleep disorder I want to discuss insomnia is quiet common. Insomnia means the difficulty either falling asleep or staying asleep. Almost everybody has insomnia once in a while. But I want to talk about chronic insomnia, which is when sleeping becomes difficult for weeks, months or years at a time. The Cause could be either psychotically or physical. Most often is psychological. That is it caused by stress. You know worrying about problems at work or at home and so on. Or the cause could be physical, such as too much caffeine or nicotine in the body. Both of these chemicals are stimulus that can keep you from sleeping. Stimulus are substances that make you feel awake and energetic. As I said Coffee and cigarettes are both stimulus. Now that brings us to treatment for insomnia. Obviously, if you have trouble sleeping, the first thing you should do is avoid Coffee, tea and cigarettes in the evening. You should also avoid alcohol. Many people say that a glass of beer or wine help them sleeping. And that maybe true once in a while. But drinking alcohol every night is dangerous. But after a while it starts working, as everyone knows alcohol is addicted. You should also avoid sleeping pills for the same reason because they are addicted. These are the things you shouldn’t do if you have insomnia. Now what should you do?
Question 16-20
16. According to the lecture, about what percentage adults say that they often don’t feel rested when they wake up in the morning?
17. The lecture discusses several types of sleep disorder, which of the following is not one of these disorders?
18. Which of the following is not a usual symptom for sleep insomnia?
19. Which of the following statements is true with people who suffer from narcolepsy?
20 What can we learn about chronic insomnia?
2011sleep Apneanarcolepsy insomnia.20073
&spot dictationlistening comprehensin question 1-5:question 6-10:12345
question 11-15:
question 16-20:
Everyone experiences stress on some level every day. Stress, broadly defined, is our response to events that we perceive as threatening or challenging.
We may experience different levels of stress depending on the stressors, meaning the events or circumstances that cause us to feel stress. Of course, not everyone perceives the same events or circumstances as stressful. We don’t always react the same way to the same stressors. In fact, something that is extremely stressful for one person may be exciting or non-stressful for another.
In general, though, stressful events can be classified into three main categories: cataclysmic events, personal stressors and background stressors.& Cataclysmic events are major events that cause stress suddenly, immediately for a great many of people at once. Examples of these are earthquakes, fires or other disasters. Personal stressors are major life events that create stress. They can include the death of loved ones, a job loss, a divorce, a financial setback, or a geographical move. They’re not always events that we perceive as negative. Many joyful life events can also cause a great deal of stress. For example, getting engaged, or married, acquiring a new family member through birth or adoption, starting a new job, and even taking a vacation can all be as stressful as negative life events. Finally, background stressors, which we can also think of as day-to-day hustles or minor irritations can cause stress, particularly, when they add up when we are repeatedly exposed to them. Examples of background stressors are waiting in a long line, getting stuck in a traffic jam, being exposed to noise, experiencing a delay of some sort, or dealing with broken equipment. Examples of chronic background stressors and the kind that can lead to long-term health problems include being unhappy with one’s job, living environment, marriage, or relationship. Stress is not something that only exists in our mind. Repeated exposure to stressors has both psychological and biological consequences. When we’re exposed to stressors, our adrenal&&& gland secretes certain hormones and our heart rate and blood pressure rise. We experience a “fight or flight” response―a sense of emergency when the body prepares to defend itself. This is useful in some situations, especially where we might actually need to defend ourselves. In the long run, though, this activation of what is known as the sympathetic nervous system has negative effects and reduces our capacity to manage stress. When stress hormones are constantly secreted, and the body is continually preparing for emergencies, body tissues such as the heart and blood vessels can
the immune system functions less effectively, and reduces our ability to fight our illness.
The General Adaptation Syndrome or GAS explains the sequence of physiological reactions to stress. There are three phases to GAS. The first is the alarm and mobilization phase. This is when we first become aware of a stressor. When we respond with alarm, we may feel upset or confused. We may even feel a sense of panic or fear. After that, however, we may begin to mobilize our efforts, in other words, to take action, to remove the stressor. For example, if you receive a mid-semester report, stating that your grades were all very low, you might worry at first, but then you would probably make plans to reverse the situation to improve your grades. The second phase of GAS is the resistance stage which occurs if the stressor is not removed. This is the stage when we fight against the stressor or try to cope with the stressor. The attempt to mobilize and remove the source of stress from phase one can result in further stress. For example, if you were studying long hours to try to improve low grades, you might succeed in improving the grades but create more stress in the process. This can lead to the third GAS phase: exhaustion. In his phase, if resistance was not successful, and stressors still exist, our ability to fight or cope with the stressor diminishes. At this point, symptoms of stress manifest themselves psychologically and biologically. Psychologically, we may become irritable, short-tempered, or unable to focus. There may be a sense of being completely overwhelmed and unable to function. Biologically, our bodies may react with such symptoms as aches and pains, fatigue or illness. Interestingly, the exhaustion phase may actually be an extreme way of trying to avoid the stressors. The body may be telling us that we need to take a break, and that we need to do whatever is necessary to remove ourselves from the stressor.
Listening translation
Sentence translation
1.Let me say that prevention crime is definitely better than punishing it. It’s better to have good role models in stopping crimes before it starts, but we also need harsher punishments.
2. Many cities have small areas or ghettos when people live in dangerous or destitute conditions. Beautiful architecture and vibrant night life are one face of the city. The cities also have problems of inequality, crowding and poverty.
3. According to a report released by a Spanish news agency FA many Latin American leaders voiced fears that a economic crisis might unleash a wave of protectionism and entire immigration measures in Europe.
4. Farmers in this country have to comply with strange requirements which make it much more costly to produce, in meat production for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically modified products.
5. The index of top European shares tumbled 2.2 percent with banks and commodity stocks, the hardest hit. The index which gain nearly 20 percent in 2009 is now down 4.31 percent amid persistent concerns about the Euro Zone stage problems.
Passage translation
1.Many people love the excitements of living in a big city, such as London, but for others, things happen a bit too fast. People seem busy and stressed all the time. A group called “Slow London” wants everyone to slow down and take some time to relax. Perhaps you could walk to work one day instead of driving, or when you buy a newspaper, take the time to have a friendly chat with the news agent. But is life in the capital really too fast? Talking about myself, I work in London, I live out in Kent, in the countryside. I really notice how different the pace is from out in the countryside.
2. The percentage of high-school-aged youth who participate in some sort of physical activity for at least 60 minutes for 5 or more days per week increased from 18% in 2005 to 30% in 2010. The percentage of high-school-aged youth who ate fruits and vegetables 5 or more times per day decreased from 21% to 19% in the same period. Officials at the conference said that to battle the problem of obesity, a holistic approach involving the entire city must be undertaken. Every agency and group, parks and recreation, as well as community groups, churches, nonprofits and businesses must be involved in tackling obesity
200518% 201030%0521%1019%
“obesity”“holistic” “a holistic approach involving the entire city must be undertaken”
&2011春季高级口译听力考试最容易听错或写错的70个单词&
2011NewsweekGrowing Green Jobs& 900
green jobwikipedia
A green job, also called a green-collar job is, according to the United Nations Environment Program, "work in agricultural, manufacturing, research and development (R&D), administrative, and service activities that contribute(s) substantially to preserving or restoring environmental quality. Specifically, but not exclusively, this includes jobs that help to protect ecosyst reduce energy, materials, and water consumption through high e de-c and minimize or altogether avoid generation of all forms of waste and pollution."
Growing Green Jobs&
Beware politicians promising to put millions to work in a new 'green economy.' They can't deliver.
There is no more fashionable answer to the woes of the global recession than "green jobs." Leaders including American President Barack Obama, Gordon Brown of Britain, Nicolas Sarkozy of France, and Hu Jintao of China have all gotten behind what U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called a "green New Deal"― pinning their hopes for future growth and new jobs on creating clean-technology industries, like wind and solar power, or recycling saw grass as fuel. It all sounds like the ultimate win-win deal: beat the worst recession in decades and save the planet from global warming, all in one spending plan. So who cares how much it costs? And since the financial crisis and recession began, governments, environmental nonprofits, and even labor unions have been busy spinning out reports on just how many new jobs might be created from these new industries―estimates that range from the tens of thousands to the millions.
The problem is that history doesn't bear out the optimism. As a new study from McKinsey consulting points out, clean energy is less like old manufacturing industries that required a lot of workers than it is like new manufacturing and service industries that don't. The best parallel is the semiconductor industry, which was expected to create a boom in high-paid high-tech jobs but today employs mainly robots. Clean-technology workers―people who do things like design and make wind turbines or solar panels―now make up only 0.6 percent of the American workforce, despite the matrix of government subsidies, tax incentives, and other supports that already exists. The McKinsey study, which examined how countries should compete in the post-crisis world, figures that clean energy won't command much more of the total job market in the years ahead. "The bottom line is that these 'clean' industries are too small to create the millions of jobs that are needed right away," says James Manyika, a director at the McKinsey Global Institute.
They might not create those jobs―but they could help other industries do just that. Here, too, the story of the computer chip is instructive. Today the big chip makers like Intel employ only 0.4 percent of the total American workforce, down from a peak of 0.6 percent in 2000. But they did create a lot of jobs, indirectly, by making other industries more efficient: throughout the 1990s, American companies saw massive gains in labor productivity and efficiency from new technologies incorporating the semiconductor. Companies in retail, manufacturing, and many other areas got faster and stronger, and millions of new jobs were created.
McKinsey and others say that the same could be true today if governments focus not on building a "green economy," by which they really mean a clean-energy industry, but on greening every part of the economy using cutting-edge green products and services. That's where policies like U.S. efforts to promote corn-based ethanol, and giant German subsidies for the solar industry (which is losing ground to China), fall down. In both cases the state is creating bloated, unproductive sectors, with jobs that are not likely to last. A better start would be encouraging business and consumers to do the basics, such as improve building insulation and replace obsolete heating and cooling equipment. In places like California, 30 percent of the summer energy load comes from air conditioning, which has prompted government to offer low-interest loans to consumers to replace old units with more efficient ones. Consumers pay back the loans through their taxes and pocket the energy savings, which can often cover the cost of the loan within a month or two. The energy efficiency is an indirect job creator, just as IT productivity had been, not only because of the cost savings but also because of the new disposable income that is created. The stimulus effect of not driving is particularly impressive. "If you can get people out of cars, or at least get them to drive less, you can typically save between $1,000 and $8,000 per household per year," says Lisa Margonelli, director of energy-policy initiatives at the New America Foundation.
Indeed, energy and efficiency savings have been behind the major green efforts of the world's biggest corporations, like Walmart, which remains the world's biggest retailer and added 22,000 jobs in the U.S. alone in 2009. In 2008, when oil hit $148 a barrel, Walmart insisted that its top 1,000 suppliers in China retool their factories and their products, cutting back on excess packaging to make shipping cheaper. It's no accident that Walmart, a company that looks for savings wherever it can find them, is one of the only American firms that continued growing robustly throughout the recession.
The policy implications of it all are clear: stop betting government money on particular green technologies that may or may not pan out, and start thinking more broadly. As McKinsey makes clear, countries don't become more competitive by tweaking their "mix" of industries but by outperforming in each individual sector. Green thinking can be a part of that. The U.S. could conceivably export much more to Europe, for example, if America's environmental standards for products were higher. Taking care of the environment at the broadest levels is often portrayed as a political red herring that will undercut competitiveness in the global economy. In fact, the future of growth and job creation may depend on it.
What Would Adam Smith SayBy Justin Fox Thursday, Mar. 25, 2010
•Adam Smith “”invisible hand the mysterious force that steers the selfish economic decisions of individuals toward a result that leaves us all better off.“”•
You know Adam Smith for his "invisible hand," the mysterious force that steers the selfish economic decisions of individuals toward a result that leaves us all better off. It's been a hugely influential idea, one that during the last few decades of the 20th century began to take on the trappings of a universal truth.
Lately, though, the invisible hand has been getting slapped. The selfish economic decisions of home buyers, mortgage brokers, investment bankers and institutional investors over the past decade clearly did not leave us all better off. Did Smith have it wrong?
No, Smith did not have it wrong. It's just that some of his self-proclaimed disciples have given us a terribly incomplete picture of what he believed. The man himself used the phrase invisible hand only three times: once in the famous passage from The Wealth of Nations
once in his other big book, The Theory of Moral S and once in a posthumously published history of astronomy (in which he was talking about "the invisible hand of Jupiter" ― the god, not the planet). For Smith, the invisible hand was but one of an array of interesting social and economic forces worth thinking about. (See the 100 best books of all time.)
Why did the invisible hand emerge as the one idea from Smith's work that everybody remembers? Mainly because it's so simple and powerful. If the invisible hand of the market really can be relied on at all times and in all places to deliver the most prosperous and just society possible, then we'd be idiots not to get out of the way and let it work its magic. Plus, the supply-meets-demand straightforwardness of the invisible-hand metaphor lends itself to mathematical treatment, and math is the language in which economists communicate with one another.
Hardly anything else in Smith's work is nearly that simple or consistent. Consider The Theory of Moral Sentiments, his long-neglected other masterpiece, published 17 years before The Wealth of Nations, in 1759. I recently cracked open a new 250th-anniversary edition, complete with a lucid introduction by economist Amartya Sen, in hopes that it would make clearer how we ought to organize our economy. (See a special report on important economists.)
Fat chance. Most of the book is an account of how we decide whether behavior. is good or not. In Smith's telling, the most important factor is our sympathy for one another. "To restrain our selfish, and to indulge our benevolent affections, constitutes the perfection of human nature," he writes. But he goes on to say that "the commands and laws of the Deity" (he seems to be referring to the Ten Commandments) are crucial guides to conduct too. Then, in what seems to be a strange detour from those earthly and divine parameters, he argues that the invisible hand ensures that the selfish and sometimes profligate spending habits of the rich tend to promote the public good.
There are similar whiplash moments in The Wealth of Nations. The dominant theme running through the book is that self-interest and free, competitive markets can be powerful forces for prosperity and for good. But Smith also calls for regulation of interest rates and laws to protect workers from their employers. He argues that the corporation, the dominant form. of economic organization in today's world, is an abomination.
The point here isn't that Smith was right in every last one of his prescriptions and proscriptions. He was an 18th century Scottish scholar, not an all-knowing being. Many of his apparent self-contradictions are just that ― contradictions that don't make a lot of sense. (See the best business deals of 2009.)
But Smith was also onto something that many free-market fans who pledge allegiance to him miss. The world is a complicated place. Markets don't exist free of societies and governments and regulators and customs
they are entwined. Also, while markets often deliver wondrous results, an outcome is not by definition good simply because the market delivers it. Some other standards have to be engaged.
Applying Smith's teachings to the modern world, then, is a much more complex and doubtful endeavor than it's usually made out to be. He certainly wouldn't have been opposed to every government intervention in the market. On financial reform, it's easy to imagine Smith supporting the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency and crackdowns on giant financial institutions. He might have also favored the just-passed health care reform. bill, at least the part that requires states to set up exchanges to ensure retail competition for health insurance.
Then again, he might not have. Asking "What would Adam Smith say?" is a lot easier than conclusively answering it. It is pretty clear, though, that he wouldn't just shout, "Don't interfere with the invisible hand!" and leave it at that.
In July, The Washington Post published its massive “Top Secret America” series, painstakingly detailing the growth of the US intelligence community after 9/11. When it ran, New York Observer editor Kyle Pope crowed (on Twitter, ironically), “Show me the bloggers who could have done this!”
The Los Angeles Times recently mobilized a community to action when it broke the news that top city officials in Bell, Calif., one of the poorest cities in Los Angeles County, were raking in annual salaries ranging from $100,000 to $800,000.
Clearly, if mainstream media is an aging fighter against the ropes, it still has a few punches left to throw. But such make-a-difference journalism requires lots of time and money, something most news outlets don’t have. And it runs counter to the frantic pace of modern, Web-driven newsrooms.&
So for journalism to survive in the Digital Age, it needs to be simultaneously fast-paced and substantive, snarky and thought-provoking.
Or, at the very least, it must find some middle ground where illuminating investigative pieces and Mel Gibson telephone call mash-ups can coexist.
The 24/7 newsroom has become an intractable part of the media landscape, and the Web is the primary battleground news outlets have to win in order to stay competitive.
That has forced journalists to become much more mindful of online traffic, which can sap morale. As a recent New York Times piece put it: “Young journalists who once dreamed of trotting the globe in pursuit of a story are instead shackled to their computers, where they try to eke out a fresh thought or be first to report even the smallest nugget of news C anything that will impress Google algorithms and draw readers their way.”& But the Washington Post and Los Angeles Times pieces demonstrate that, regardless of whether the stories appear in print or online, reporters still need the time and space to be effective watchdogs C to track down sources and slog through the reams of financial disclosures, court documents, and election filings that often fill the better part of a journalist’s working life.
Right out of college, I spent several years working for a mid-size regional daily newspaper. I covered endless city and county government meetings, reported on crime and education, and learned that reporters should always carry a sensible pair of shoes in their car in case they are sent into the mountains to cover a wildfire. In my relatively short time in the newspaper trenches, I developed a profound respect for the people who do the decidedly unglamorous work of keeping government honest for little pay and even less job security.
2011春高口阅读Section 5第二篇文章讨论的是网络问题,属于社会热议话题。文章选自基督教科学箴言报,链接如下: 这是我们高级口译阅读课上让大家重点关注的外看网站。 &
At a recent Internet culture conference at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, a local ice-cream shop offered to make a custom flavor for the event. After some discussion, the organizers decided that it should be vanilla ice cream mixed with Nerds candies, "because the Internet is primarily white and nerdy," explains Chris Csikszentmihályi, who directs the MIT Center for Future Civic Media.
While a joke, the ice-cream flavor was also a serious commentary on the digital divide that has grown between those who created the Internet C mostly affluent, white, male programmers C and the billions of people around the globe with whom they share little in common.
There's a push among development specialists to provide more people with Internet connections and the assumption that these new Web citizens can then reap the same benefits as communities who've long been online.
This may not be the case, however. While few people dispute the value of getting the world online, many Internet experts say that current Web content has little relevance and thus little appeal to those whose lifestyle. is worlds away from programmers in the United States and Europe. If the majority of the world is to use the Web for more than just a few basic functions, Internet developers must address this gap.
"What you end up with is an Internet that assumes a particular kind of user, one that resembles the authors," says Mr. Csikszentmihályi. "So, in a sense, almost everyone who uses the Internet has to sort of pass as a white, 20-something, urban-dwelling kind of person."
Even in the US, this has proved to be a problem. A new study at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., found that, among Americans, those from privileged backgrounds tend to have much higher skill levels and use the Web for more activities than those from less affluent families with equal Internet access.
"Just because people gain access doesn't mean that now they know how to use the Internet," says Eszter Hargittai, author of the report. "Even if we put a lot of effort into connecting more people C which is of course important C [the concern is that] even once people obtain access, we will continue to observe considerable variation in their skills and online behavior."
For those outside the US, crossing the digital divide may seem even more daunting. In the Middle East, since 2000, Internet use has grown faster than anywhere else in the world. Although there are more Arabs online every day and their language is the world's fifth most widely spoken, less than 1 percent of Web content is in Arabic. Within the region, Jordan has been one of the most active countries bridging the digital divide. Here the information technology (IT) sector enjoys strong support from King Abdullah II and makes up 12 percent of the nation's gross domestic product. According to StartupArabia, a website dedicated to tracking Arab tech companies, only the United Arab Emirates has surpassed Jordan in the number of start-ups.
"Jordan doesn't have resources. We don' we don't have any maj the only thing we have is education," says Khamis Omar, dean of the IT department at the Princess Sumaya University for Technology in Amman, explaining the success of the IT industry in Jordan.
Despite these successes, Jordan is still on the far side of the perceived chasm. Only 54 percent of Jordanian homes have a personal computer and about 30 percent of people use the Internet. Of those who don't have computers, about half said they couldn't afford them while 40 percent said they didn't need them, according to a report by the Department of Statistics released to The Jordan Times last month.
In some regards, it may take decades for the Internet, like other technological revolutions, to take firm root outside its place of origin, says Steven Low, a computer science professor at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "It takes time not only for the technology to mature, but also for [a different] society to learn how to use it and then adapt how you live or how you work to make the most use of it," he says. "That process has been going on in the developed world for the last several decades in terms of IT ... but it's only starting for the developing world."
In the meantime, Robert Fadel of the nonprofit One Laptop Per Child says one of the most important things is to continue making technology available to more people so they can find ways to make it applicable to their lives. In the past two years, OLPC has helped distribute 1.5 million laptops to children in 35 countries.
"Children, with the support of their community and their parents and teachers, will find it all out, they will discover it. We can help them out by giving them the freedom and the access to use such tools," says Mr. Fadel. He adds that worrying that people might not get the full benefit of the Internet because they don't know how to use it, is like worrying that people may not benefit from a library if no one explains how to use it.
Still, Ms. Hargittai says that, for real Internet equality, it will likely take more than simply putting the tools in people's hands. Organizations working to bridge the divide must "devote resources to offering support, and potentially having a center where people can go for support, offering informal classes or instruction for the community," she says. She adds that any classes would need to effectively target the necessary audience, as many people may not know how much more they have to learn.
When President Obama took the stage here Wednesday to address a community ― and a nation ― traumatized by Saturday’s shootings rampage in Tucson, Arizona, it invited comparisons to President George W. Bush’s speech to the nation after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the memorial service President Bill Clinton led after the bombing of a federal office building killed 168 people in Oklahoma City in 1995.
But Obama’s appearance presented a deeper challenge, reflecting the tenor of his times. Unlike those tragedies---which, at least initially, united a mournful country and quieted partisan divisions---this one has, in the days since the killings, had the opposite effect, inflaming the divide.
It was a political reality Mr. Obama seemed to recognize the moment he took the stage. He directly confronted the political debate that erupted after the rampage, asking people of all beliefs not to use the tragedy to turn on one another. He called for an end to partisan recriminations, and for a unity that has seemed increasingly elusive as each day has brought more harsh condemnations from the left and the right. It was one of the more powerful addresses that Mr. Obama has delivered as president, harnessing the emotion generated by the shock and loss from Saturday’s shootings to urge Americans “to remind ourselves of all the ways that our hopes and dreams are bound together”.
2011112“Facing Challenge, Obama Returns to Unity Theme”
Take the stage:
Traumatize……
Shootings rampage:
Tucson, Arizona――
Invite: ……
Partisan division
Recrimination
Harsh condemnation
Rampage:狂暴行为
Elusive:使得、促使
Harness:控制
难点解析:
在第一段讲到奥巴马总统周三给美国所有民众演讲中所回忆的三段灾难性事件,这三起灾难性事件分别是:Tucson, Arizona(奥巴马时期亚利桑那州图森市枪击事件)、the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001(布什时期911恐怖袭击事件)和Oklahoma City in 年克林顿时期的俄克拉荷马爆炸案)。紧接着用but笔锋一转指出奥巴马的这次演讲所摆在面前的是更大的挑战,而这反映了the tenor of his times时代的本调/主旋律。Unlike those tragedies---which, at least initially, united a mournful country and quieted partisan divisions---this one has, in the days since the killings, had the opposite effect, inflaming the divide.这句话中两个破折号中间的内容是在解释说明tragedies,这句话是在强调美国现在所面对的问题是divide分裂。在翻译这句话的时候可以先把两个破折号中间的成分拿出来翻译为一句话,之后再翻译Unlike those tragedies,this one has, in the days since the killings, had the opposite effect, inflaming the divide.
第二段一共有四句话,最后两句较长,翻译之前需要理清结构。He called for an end to partisan recriminations, and for a unity that has seemed increasingly elusive as each day has brought more harsh condemnations from the left and the right. 其中partisan recrimination意思是党派相互指责,elusive逃避,the left and the right是指美国党派中的左派和右派。这句话可以翻译为:奥巴马号召停止党派间相互指责而是要团结起来,每天左派和右派都在进行严厉无情的相互谴责,似乎使得这种团结离我们越发遥远。
文章最后一句话是全文中最长的句子,在翻译之前需要搞清结构:It was one of the more powerful addresses that Mr. Obama has delivered as president, harnessing the emotion generated by the shock and loss from Saturday’s shootings to urge Americans “to remind ourselves of all the ways that our hopes and dreams are bound together”. 结构是:the address, harnessing the emotion….to urge Americans……. 翻译时可以把这一长句拆分成几个层次来处理:
1. It was one of the more powerful addresses that Mr. Obama has delivered as president
2. the address harnessing the emotion
3. the emotion generated by the shock and loss from Saturday’s shootings
4. the address is to remind ourselves of all the ways that our hopes and dreams are bound together
合起来可以翻译为:这是奥巴马作为总统以来所做的最有影响力的演讲之一。周六枪击案所带来的震惊和损失唤起了人们的情感,而这一演讲正是控制了这种情感促使美国人用不同的方法提醒自己我们的希望和梦想是联系在一起的。
2011春季高口英译汉相关句子分析
When President Obama took the stage here Wednesday to address a community ― and a nation ― traumatized by Saturday’s shootings rampage in Tucson, Arizona, it invited comparisons to President George W. Bush’s speech to the nation after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the memorial service President Bill Clinton led after the bombing of a federal office building killed 168 people in Oklahoma City in 1995.
“--(S-V-O)”“and the memorial servicePresident Bill Clinton ledafter the bombing of a federal office buildingkilled 168 people in Oklahoma City in 1995. ”
But Obama’s appearance presented a deeper challenge, reflecting the tenor of his times. Unlike those tragedies---which, at least initially, united a mournful country and quieted partisan divisions---this one has, in the days since the killings, had the opposite effect, inflaming the divide.
“Unlike those tragedies---which, at least initially, united a mournful country and quieted partisan divisions---this one has, in the days since the killings, had the opposite effect, inflaming the divide”“In the days since the killingsthis one (tragedy) has had the opposite effect, (i.e.)inflaming the divide--unlike those tragedies which united a mournful country and quieted partisan divisions at least initially”
It was a political reality Mr. Obama seemed to recognize the moment he took the stage. He directly confronted the political debate that erupted after the rampage, asking people of all beliefs not to use the tragedy to turn on one another. He called for an end to partisan recriminations, and for a unity that has seemed increasingly elusive as each day has brought more harsh condemnations from the left and the right. It was one of the more powerful addresses that Mr. Obama has delivered as president, harnessing the emotion generated by the shock and loss from Saturday’s shootings to urge Americans “to remind ourselves of all the ways that our hopes and dreams are bound together”.
A joint venture shall have a board of directors, which shall have its size and composition stipulated in the contract and the articles of association after consultation between the parties to the venture, and the directors shall be appointed and replaced by the parties to the venture.
The Chairman are determined by the parties to the venture or elected by the board of directors.
The board meeting is to be called and presided over by the chairman of the board.
“”“”“”“”“”“”
Detailed minutes of the board meeting shall be prepared in Chinese and English and shall be delivered to each director within fourteen 14 days of the conclusion of the meeting to be signed and confirmed by each of the directors who attended the board meeting.
A joint venture shall have a board of directors, which shall have its size and composition stipulated in the contract and the articles of association after consultation between the parties to the venture, and the directors shall be appointed and replaced by the parties to the venture. The board of directors shall be the highest authority of a joint venture that shall decide all major matters concerning the joint venture. The Chairman are determined by the parties to the venture or elected by the board of directors. The chairman of the board is the legal representative of the joint venture. When the chairman is unable to perform. his duties, he shall authorize another director to represent the joint venture.
The board meeting is to be called and presided over by the chairman of the board. It shall be held only when over two-third of the directors are present. If a director is unable to attend the meetinghe may issue a power of attorney to appoint a proxy to represent him and vote on his behalf.& Detailed minutes of the board meeting shall be prepared in Chinese and English and shall be delivered to each director within fourteen 14 days of the conclusion of the meeting to be signed and confirmed by each of the directors who attended the board meeting.
function open_phone(e) {
var context = document.title.replace(/%/g, '%');
var url = document.location.
open("/ishare.do?m=t&u=" + encodeURIComponent(url) + "&t=" + encodeURIComponent(context) + "&sid=70cd6ed4a0");
!觉得精彩就顶一下,顶的多了,文章将出现在更重要的位置上。
大 名:&&[]&&[注册成为和讯用户]
(不填写则显示为匿名者)
(您的网址,可以不填)
请根据下图中的字符输入验证码:
(您的评论将有可能审核后才能发表)
已成功添加“”到
请不要超过6个字
中高级口译是上海紧缺人才培训工程重要项目之一,由上海市高校浦东继续教育中心(PCEC)负责组织实施。自1995年6月开考至2004年秋季,已有19.82万人次报考,1.71万人经考试(含笔试、口试)合格获得由上海紧缺人才培训工程联席会议办公室颁发的《上海市外语口译岗位资格证书》,已有逾万人获得由上海市外语口译岗位资格证书考试委员会颁发的《上海市英语口译基础能力合格证书》。

我要回帖

更多关于 another thing 的文章

随机推荐