i'm not acy door是什么意思思

I’m not a sales assistant
Seldom am I more acutely conscious of my skin color than when I shop at stores like J.Crew and Ralph Lauren
Brooks Brothers, ,
(Credit: AP/Paul Sakuma)
This piece originally appeared on .
My style of dress is classic preppy. My fashion sense evolved from my years spent in boarding school, where I was required to dress that way for class: khaki pants, fitted dress shirts, crewneck sweaters, and penny loafers. J.Crew and Ralph Lauren could have used our campus to shoot their advertisements.Some of my Black friends say my style is “boo-zhee.” What can I say? I prefer quality over quantity, avoid crowded stores like H&M, the Gap, and Zara where you’ve got scores of copies of the same item. I love blazers—especially those with patches—and own too many to count. That, along with my passion for seersucker suits, herringbones, calfskin loafers, striped belts, colorful braces, and plaids make me a female dandy. I can’t help it: If I’m wearing an outfit that makes me feel comfortable and look good then I feel like I can do anything.But shopping at high-end stores while Black, especially young and female, too often feels like navigating a minefield of assumptions, microaggressions, and thinly veiled hostility.More from DAME: It usually starts as I step inside the store. “Hi, can I help you?” from sales reps with an over-penetrating gaze never really feels like a warm greeting.
I’m prepared to be watched closely, or ignored when I actually do need assistance because they assume that I won’t—or can’t—purchase anything. When I ask to see an item, they quickly tell me the price, then pause for my reaction to confirm that I’m pre-qualified to see the merchandise. When that happens I usually give the sales rep my dead-fish-eye look that says: Did I ask you how much it was? I asked you if I could see the damn thing.White shoppers, especially White women in their mid-to-late 50s and up often assume I’m there to serve them:Miss, can you start me a fitting room for me, please. Do you have this in a size 8? Can you tell me the price on this? Where is the bathroom?Do you have kale chips?Which aisle are the Goji berries in? Can you throw this in the trash for me?Excuse me, I’d like to speak with your manager.Miss, you’re all out of the Ms. Meyers lemon verbena countertop spray.
Can you check for more in the back?What time do you close today?Mind you, I’ve never worked a retail or service-sector job a day of my life.Once I was in a Brooks Brothers in an airport in Chicago to purchase a sweater because I hadn’t dressed warmly enough. A woman standing in front of a set of shelves next to me asked me three times to “get her size.” I ignored her. Didn’t even make eye contact.She huffed: “Miss, I asked you if you have this in my size.”“I don’t work here, lady!” I snapped.She shot me a look as if I had slapped her in the face, then glanced at my carry-on bag. Instead of apologizing, she turned up her nose, giggled, and said, “Oh, I thought you were just checking stock.”I’ve found myself in Whole Foods with my groceries at the checkout line and been accused of taking a woman’s baby bok choy. Turns out, hers was still in the bottom corner of her cart.As if those continuing incidents weren’t stressful enough, I recently encountered a painful symbol of America’s racial history in one of my favorite stores. On the day that the Staten Island grand jury announced that there’d be no indictment in the controversial police choking death of Eric Garner, my spirit was weighed down with sadness. I was still grieving the loss of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and the non-indictments in the Ezell Ford case and others.More from DAME: I thought that shopping at Brooks Brothers would help soothe my pain, and that finding the right shirt or blazer would be good for my soul. Fortunately, nobody eyeballed me, followed me around or mistook me for “the help.” Things were looking promising as I made my way past tables of neatly folded cashmere cardigans and satin deco scarves. But then, I stumbled across a display with a small decorative bale of cotton stalks. In that instant, Brooks Brothers went from being a place for therapeutic shopping to a hostile environment. WTF? I thought to myself.On a day when it was difficult just to be in predominantly White spaces, I was accosted by the sight of raw cotton. You may wonder: Why is this such a big deal? Because to African Americans, the sight of raw cotton is equivalent to a swastika. Without going into unproductive comparison of various holocausts and genocides, cotton is the icon that reminds us why our ancestors were snatched from their homeland, carted across the planet and subjected to centuries of nonstop horrors to build the infrastructure and wealth of this nation.Non-Black people might look at the fluffy bolls and see something soft and pleasant. But we see endless fields of torture and misery. We are reminded of generations of backbreaking, soul-crushing unpaid labor, of the whips and stings of bare skin split open by whips and rubbed raw by chains. Of families torn asunder and nonstop rapes and the degradation and humiliation passed down in our DNA. We hear the Confederate anthem, ” and it’s famed lyric:
You Might Also Like
Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,Old times there are not forgotten …Sure, we wear cotton, sit on it, sleep on it, and use it in everyday items just as everyone else does. But raw cotton is every bit as painful and offensive as those other visuals icons of white supremacy: the Confederate flag, burning crosses, KKK regalia, and lynched black bodies hanging from trees. It’s a form of the N-word that we can see and touch and smell.So standing in Brooks Brothers, visions of the perfect shirt or blazer temporarily wiped from my mind, I realized that I needed to address this faux pas. I was calm and gracious as I pulled one of the workers aside, a nice White lady whose nametag said “Helen.”“Excuse me,” I said to her.
She smiled expectantly. I pointed at the cotton display and made a face as if it stunk to high heaven. “Can you all please stop decorating your stores with cotton?”“Oh,” she said, appearing confused as she looked between me and the display. “What’s wrong with it? Why don’t you like it?”“My ancestors in Virginia had to pick that,” I said wearily. “I don’t want to see it in my face while I’m shopping.” Just like I don’t like going to urban stores like G-Star Raw and being verbally assaulted by the n-word and misogynist and homophobic rap lyrics blasting from the speakers.Helen’s eyebrows converged, the blood ran out of her face, and her entire spirit dropped down into her loafers. She looked at that cotton as if she was seeing it for the very first time. I stormed away from her and continued shopping. On the way out with my crisp new 100-percent cotton fitted shirt in hand, Helen smiled at me and said, “Thanks for shopping with us.”I responded by nodding back at the cotton display and saying, in my haughty Maya Angelou tone of voice: “Make it go away, Helen.” I went by to check the next day, and the display was gone, evidence that Helen took a lesson from that teachable moment.More from DAME: I’d had a similar experience when I lived in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn as it was becoming gentrified. A new plant shop opened up on Myrtle Avenue next to a Black-owned barbershop. The shop was run by a 30-something W let’s call them Ashton and Jenny.Walking past, I made a note to stop in when I saw it: a huge tin bucket of cotton stalks displayed outside the store. Understand, despite gentrification, Black folks were still in the neighborhood and many of us lamented the overnight influx of White people and all that came with it – high rents and food prices, the entitlement, colonization, pricing out, amped up and overaggressive policing of people of color, and complaints about how loud and long our church services are.
So I stood frozen, mouth gaping outside the shop next to a chalkboard listing prices of various kinds of plants.
A Black man walking by popped his head in the doorway and yelled: “Y’all on some shit! You in a Black neighborhood sellin’ cotton. That’s that bullshit right here.”
Ashton seemed shaken. Jenny stood next to a pair of orchids looking like she had just been street-harassed.I strolled into the store with a smile on my face. Ashton and Jenny looked cautiously hopeful, as if they expected me to assuage their emotions in the wake of the man’s cursing. I said in a tone that was both sharp and gentle, “The cotton is not such a good idea in this neighborhood. You’re right next door to a Black barbershop. Might want to bring the bucket inside and put it in the back. Out of sight.” Ashton swiftly did so.After my recent Brooks Brothers incident, I wondered which other stores might include raw-cotton displays in their décor. The list that came up included Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Cracker Barrel, and Jo Ann Fabrics. When called to ask about this practice, only Hobby Lobby and Michael’s responded, both saying that they sell cotton stalks in their stores. The public-relations reps did not have definitive answers about the use of cotton in displays or décor.It’s about much more than the cotton, which after all, is a pretty rare sight in most high-end stories. It’s about the assumptions, the attitudes, and the microaggressions that hang like a cloud over all Black shoppers, especially in businesses that seem incompatible with our demographics. The sheer energy of being watched, followed, spoken down to and taken for a faceless employee for no reason other than our Blackness, means we must brace ourselves for whatever indignities a simple shopping trip might bring our way.It’s exhausting. We just want to move through the world like everyone else. We go to work and maintain our homes, shop for groceries and maybe indulge in a bit of retail therapy as a respite in tough times. We don’t want to be eyeballed, followed, mistaken for “the help,” or assumed to be thugs or thieves. And we damn sure don’t want a raw symbol of all the reasons we’re still suffering and struggling today to be decorating a space in which we are prepared to spend our hard-earned money.
You Might Also Like
More Related Stories
I thought travel was a thing of my past
The 15 social media trends that defined a generation
“The power of Christ compels you!”: When our house became possessed by spirits
Jennifer Beals is the latest victim of outrage overkill
Where in the world is Walter Palmer?
“Daily Show” classics: Jon Stewart sends John Oliver off to a "Harry Potter" book release dressed as a Phillip Roth character
No mourning, no peace: Sam DuBose, Sandra Bland and why Black lives don't matter (yet)
What drives the angry man-child to harass women online? The answer is pretty simple
“The Daily Show” takes down laughably ignorant anti-gay pastor who thinks he's "discriminated" by anti-discrimination law
This one terrifying chart shows what happens to your body on Coca-Cola
Mia Farrow's Cecil the Lion Twitter fail: With great outrage and a big platform comes great responsibility
Larry Wilmore can hardly contain his disgust for Minnesota dentist who killed Cecil the lion: "I wish there was Novocaine for my soul"
"Daily Show" classics: Jon Stewart told Adam Sandler what everyone was thinking about his latest bad movie
Forced into togetherness: When the economy fell apart, our family came together
"Where were Cecil the lion's parents?": Twitter uses gallows humor to cope with dentist's grisly act
Cosby's biggest accuser comes out: Will his defenders finally believe her story now?
Watch: Macy Gray's ode to her sex toy "B.O.B" mixed with decades of buzzworthy, vibrator lovin' tunes
"Daily Show" classics: How Jon Stewart made George Bush's public appearances a little more bearable
Jimmy Kimmel breaks down in tears while discussing Cecil the Lion: "Maybe we can show the world that not all Americans are like this jackhole"
Featured Slide Shows
Share on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Fullscreen
Thumbnails
"Dick Cheney watches television": The four previously unseen 9/11 photos that will make you hate the evil VP all over again
Dick Cheney watches television
"Dick Cheney watches television": The four previously unseen 9/11 photos that will make you hate the evil VP all over again
Recent Slide Shows
Heartbreaking images from Sandra Bland's funeral
The best series finales ever
When marriage is an act of political protest
Photos from the Happy Ending Salon
Make Summer More Poetic with These 10 International Works
8 Illustrated Books for Every Age and Every Summer Reading List
10 Great Science Reads That You Can Take to the Beach
Related Videos
Loading Comments...
follow salon
brought to you by
From Around the Web
Presented by Zergnet
Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'
Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
Watch Paul McCartney Perform 'Get Back' With Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard
Andre 3000 Cast in 'American Crime' Second Season
Watch Kendrick Lamar Run Amok in Playful 'For Free? (Interlude)' Video
O’Malley: 'We Can’t Let Puerto Rico Fail'
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Indicted
Anti-Semitic Graffiti Mars Monument During Berlin Maccabi Games
Salon Editorial Staffers Unionize, With Site's Management Taking 'High Road'
Amy Schumer Hints She Will Push To Reduce Gun Violence
'Fantastic Four' Cast Handles Offensive Interview Like Pros
Education Department Opens Investigation Of Grinnell College, But Not Because It Asked For It
Meet Janae Marie Kroc, Recently Out Transgender World Record Bodybuilder
Why Some Feminists Refuse To Give Up On Their Faith
What most people have missed about the poaching of Cecil the lion: There's someone else to blame.
Some find this former NBA athlete's latest career move shocking. He just wants you be happy for him.
When a pilot with no arms met a 3-year-old girl with no arms, the world's best hug occurred.
Here's why pot advocates are loving D.A.R.E.'s recent Internet flub.
Top 5 signs your your ancestors were geniuses at beating the heatWhen&I'm&Gone
前天晚上写了很长很长的东西,结果没存上 T.T 气死我了。
现在Media Player里放的是Eminem的When
I'm Gone,檀屑同学,如果要说Eminem的忧伤rap的话,相比MockingBird,我更喜欢这首
---------------------
It's my life...
My own words I guess...
Have you ever loved someone so much, you'd give an arm
Not the expression, no, literally give an arm for?
When they know they're your heart
And you know you were there armor
And you will destroy anyone who would try to harm 'em
But what happens when karma, turns right around and bites
And everything you stand for, turns on you, despite you?
What happens when you become the main source of a pain?
"Daddy look what I made", Dad's gotta go catch a plane
"Daddy where's Mommy? I can't find Mommy where is she?"
I don't know go play Hailie, baby, your Daddy's busy
Daddy's writing this song, this song ain't gonna write itself
I'll give you one underdog then you gotta swing by yourself
Then turn right around on that song and tell her you love her
And put hands on her mother, who's a spitting image of her
That's Slim Shady, yeah baby, Slim Shady's crazy
Shady made me, but tonight Shady's rocka-by-baby...
And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back
Just smile back...
I keep having this dream, I'm pushin' Hailie on the swing
She keeps screaming, she don't want me to sing
"You're making Mommy cry, why? Why is Mommy crying?"
Baby, Daddy ain't leaving no more, "Daddy you're lying
"You always say that, you always say this is the last time
"But you ain't leaving no more, Daddy you're mine"
She's piling boxes in front of the door trying to block it
"Daddy please, Daddy don't leave, Daddy - no stop it!"
Goes in her pocket, pulls out a tiny necklace locket
It's got a picture, "this'll keep you safe Daddy, take it
I look up, it's just me standing in the mirror
These ****in' walls must be talking, cuz man I can hear 'em
They're saying "You've got one more chance to do right" - and it's
Now go out there and show that you love 'em before it's too
And just as I go to walk out of my bedroom door
It's turns to a stage, they're gone, and this spotlight is on
And I'm singing...
Just smile back
Just smile back...
Sixty thousand people, all jumping out their seat
The curtain closes, they're throwing roses at my feet
I take a bow and thank you all for coming out
They're screaming so loud, I take one last look at the crowd
I glance down, I don't believe what I'm seeing
"Daddy it's me, help Mommy, her wrists are bleeding,"
But baby we're in Sweden, how did you get to Sweden?
"I followed you Daddy, you told me that you weren't leavin'
"You lied to me Dad, and now you make Mommy sad
"And I bought you this coin, it says 'Number One Dad'
"That's all I wanted, I just want to give you this coin
"I get the point - fine, me and Mommy are gone"
But baby wait, "it's too late Dad, you made the choice
"Now go up there and show 'em that you love 'em more than us"
That's what they want, they want you Marshall, they keep..
screamin' your name
It's no wonder you can't go to sleep, just take another pill
Yeah, I bet you you will. You rap about it, yeah, word, k-keep it
I hear applause, all this time I couldn't see
How could it be, that the curtain is closing on me
I turn around, find a gun on the ground, cock it
Put it to my brain and scream "die Shady" and pump it
The sky darkens, my life flashes, the plane that I was supposed to
be on crashes and burns to ashes
That's when I wake up, alarm clock's ringin', there's birds
It's Spring and Hailie's outside swinging, I walk up to Kim and
Tell her I miss her, Hailie just smiles and winks at her little
Almost as if to say..
Just smile back
Just smile back...
以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。---who______it be that is knocking at the door? ---It_______be Father, but I’m not sure.
A.c._百度知道
---who______it be that is knocking at the door? ---It_______be Father, but I’m not sure.
A.can, but I’m not sure, may
---who______it be that is knocking at the door? ---It_______be Father, must
提问者采纳
试题分析,第二空填may。第一空填can?---有可能是父亲.所以选B,因为说话人不是很确定:--敲门的会是谁,用于否定或疑问句表示推测“可能”,但是我不是很肯定:句意,but I’m not sure
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁way是什么意思,词典释义与在线翻译:
方法,手段
路线,路径
方式,习惯,作风
距离,路程
风度,举止
(经历或活动的)规模
出口,出路
【律】通行权
【力学】(车床等的)导轨
【航海学】航程;船舶在水中的运动(或速度)
adv.(副词)
非常,远远地,大大地
(距离)很远,(时间)很久
adj.(形容词)
与路线的中间点相关的
[C] 路,道,街,径 place for walking, travelling, etc. path, road, street, etc.
[C] 方向 (in a specified) direction
[C] 方法,方式,手段 method, style or manner of doing sth
[C] 习俗,作风 chosen, desired or habitual behaviour, custom or manner
[C] 距离 distance (to be travelled) between two points
[C] 附近,周围 neighbourhood
[C] 某方面 part respect
adv.(副词)
远远地,大大地 very far
提示:各行业词典APP中含有本词条的独家正版内容,在手机上可看到更多释义内容。
way&:&方法, 路,
在&&中查看更多...
在&&中查看更多...
way&:&(版画制作 ...
在&&中查看更多...
在&&中查看更多...
way&:&行业, ...
在&&中查看更多...
how something is do
"her dignified manner"
"his rapid manner of talking"
"their nomadic mode of existence"
"in the characteristic New York style"
"a lonely way of life"
"in an abrasive fashion"
how a result is obtained o
"a means of control"
"an example is the best agency of instruction"
"the true way to success"
a line leading
"he looked the other direction"
"didn't know the way home"
the condition
"that's the way it is"
"I felt the same way"
"the path of virtue"
"we went our separate ways"
"our paths in life led us apart"
"genius usually follows a revolutionary path"
any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from
"he said he was looking for the way out"
"they are on the way"
"room to pass"
"make way for"
"hardly enough elbow room to turn around"
the property of
"it's a long way to Moscow"
"he went a long ways"
doing as on
"if I had my way"
a genera used in the expression `in the way of';
"they didn't have much in the way of clothing"
a portion of something
"they split the loot three ways"
to a great degree or very much (`right smart' is regional in the United States);
"way over budget"
"way off base"
"the other side of the hill is right smart steeper than the side we are on"
way的用法和样例:
用作名词 (n.)
I am on my way to the grocery store.
我正在去杂货店的路上。
We lost the way in the dark.
我们在黑夜中迷路了。
He tried in every way to verify this theory.
他想一切办法来验证这个理论。
She showed them the way to do it.
她向他们示范做这件事的方法。
Reading is a good way to unwind.
阅读是休息的好方式。
It's not my way to leave anything half done.
半途而废不是我的作风。
Do not form an undisciplined way of life.
不要养成散漫的生活作风。
I don't like the way she speaks.
我不喜欢她说话的样子。
I'm sorry it should be this way.
很遗憾,事情竟会是这个样子。
Look both ways before crossing the road.
过马路前向两边看一看。
Make sure that the sign's the right way up.
一定要把符号的上下弄对。
I was looking the other way when the goal was scored.
进球时我正看着别处。
They escaped out the back way.
他们从后门逃走了。
We are a long way from the coast.
我们距离海边很远。
The summer holiday is still far a long way off.
暑假还离得远呢!
I think they live on Birmingham way.
我猜他们生活在伯明翰地区。
I may be able to help you in some way.
我也许可以从某个方面去帮助你。
It is an excellent novel in every way.
无论从哪方面来看,这都是一本优秀的小说。
He's been in a bad way ever since the operation.
自从手术以后,他的身体状况就很不好。
I have lost my job for three months,so I am in a bad way.
我失业已三个月了,所以我的情形很不妙。
I don't know how we're going to manage,the way things are.
按目前这样的情况,我不知道我们要如何应付。
用作副词 (adv.)
It seems like I'm always way too busy with work.
我工作总是太忙了。
His ideas were way ahead of his time.
他的思想远远超越了他那个时代。
She finished the race way ahead of the other runners.
她第一个跑到终点,远远领先于其他选手。
用作名词 (n.)
Is this the way out?
这是出去的路吗?
Which way do you usually go to town?
你进城一般走哪条路?
He asked me the way to London.
他问我去伦敦走哪条路。
There was a lorry blocking the way.
有一辆卡车挡住了路。
If you lose your way, ask a policeman.
你如果迷路了,就找警察问路。
We walked a long way.
我们走了很远的路。
We had to pick our way along the muddy track.
我们须在泥泞的小道上择路而行。
Get out of my way!
别挡着我的路!
The soldiers cut a way through the forest.
战士们在林中开出了一条路。
Clear a way through the crowd.
从人群中挤过去。
They claimed to be leading the way in the fight against terrorism.
他们声称正领导着对恐怖主义的斗争。
“Which way did he go?” “He went that way.”
“他往哪边去了?”“他往那边去了。”
Look this way, please.
请往这边看。
They weren't looking our way.
他们没朝我们这边看。
Make sure that the sign's the right way up.
一定要把标牌的上下弄对。
The arrow is pointing the wrong way.
这个箭头指错了方向。
If the tree falls that way, it will destroy the house.
这棵树向那边倒下就会把那栋房子压坏。
Look both ways before crossing the road.
过马路前要先向两边看一看。
I like the way you've done your hair.
我喜欢你头发的样式。
You can see the way his mind works when you read his books.
看他写的书就能了解他的思想方法。
We could have the car fixed here
either way it will be very expensive.
这车我们可以在这里修理,也可以拖回去,哪种办法都很费钱。
These vegetables can be cooked in several different ways.
这些蔬菜可以用几种不同的方法烹调。
She spoke in a kindly way.
她说话态度很和蔼。
In this way he remains to live in the countryside with his parents.
就这样,他一直同他的父母住在乡下。
He has some rather odd ways.
他有些怪招。
Don't be offended, it's only his way.
不要介意,他就是这么个人。
It is not her way to be selfish.
她并不是个自私的人。
I don't like the way he looks at me.
我不喜欢他那种样子看着我。
It's disgraceful the way he treats his mother.
他那样对待他母亲,太不像话了。
They admired the way she dealt with the crisis.
他们很佩服她处理危机的手法。
It's a long way to London.
从这里到伦敦很远。
We have a long way from the coast.
我们距离海边很远。
There is quite a way still to go.
还要走很长的路。
The roots go a long way down.
这些根扎得很深。
December is a long way off.
现在离12月还有很长时间。
Success is still a long way off.
离成功还远着呢。
A woman sat down beside me as we started, and she chattered nonstop the whole way.
我们出发时,一个女人坐到我身旁,一路上她说个没完。
He lives somewhere Lincoln way.
他住在林肯市附近。
The crops are doing well down our way.
我们这一带的作物长势良好。
Please visit us next time you're over this way.
你下一次到这一带来时,请到我们家作客。
Can I help you in any way?
我能帮你点忙吗?
She helped us in every possible way.
她无微不至地帮助我们。
The result should in no way be seen as a defeat for the government.
这个结果绝对不应该被视为政府的失败。
In some ways it's quite a good idea, but the high cost makes it impossible.
就某些方面而言,这是个相当不错的主意,但由于代价太高,它行不通。
The changes are beneficial in some ways but not in others.
这些变革有的方面有好处,有的方面没好处。
Today the computer is used a great deal in many ways.
今天,计算机在各个领域里被广泛使用。
The acid bit its way through the metal.
酸腐蚀金属。
She managed to talk her way out of a difficult situation.
她设法靠着三寸不烂之舌摆脱了困境。
The doctor told the patient that he was in good way.
大夫对病人说,他的病情已在好转。
~+of v -ing
We couldn't contact you— we had no way of knowing where you were.
我们联络不上你——我们无法知道你在哪里。
I wish I knew a way of making money quickly.
但愿我懂得些快速致富的手段。
He had a strange way of making his classes lively and interesting.
他有一种奇特的办法,能使他上的课生动有趣。
He has a pleasant way of speaking.
他说话的神态讨人喜欢。
They eventually came round to our way of thinking.
他们终于接受了我们的看法。
We all have our favourite ways of doing certain things.
我们做某些事都有自己爱用的方法。
There are several ways of doing it.
做这件事有好几种方法。
What is the best way to clean this?
清理这个最好的方法是什么?
She showed them the way to do it.
她向他们示范做这件事的方法。
Try to find your own way to express the idea .
尽量用你自己的语言来表达这个意见。
What's the right way to say this in English?
把这句话说成英语,正确的说法是什么?
They are trying to find ways to prevent the disease.
他们正设法寻找防止这种疾病的方法。
She is in no way to blame.
根本不应该怪她。
~+(that-)clause
The way that you're doing it is completely crazy.
你这种做法,简直是发疯了。
I don't like the way that you laugh at her.
我不喜欢你用那样的态度嘲笑她。
They didn't do it the way that we do now.
他们以往做这件事不像我们现在这样做。
This is the way he did it.
这就是他做此事的方法。
用作副词 (adv.)
She finished the race way ahead of the other runners.
她第一个跑到终点,遥遥领先于其他对手。
The price is way above what we can afford.
价格高得我们绝对付不起。
The initial estimate was way out.
最初的估计差得远去了。
The mortality rate was way down.
死亡率大大降低。
The shot was way off target.
这次射得远离目标。
Their profits were way below the original forecasts.
他们的利润大大低于原先的估计。
They live down Canterbury way.
他们住得离坎特伯雷不远。
用作名词 (n.)
all the way
一路上,一直; 完全 completely
We can go all the way by motorboat.
我们可以一路上乘摩托艇去。
He stays all the way in the game.
他自始至终参加比赛。
I'm with you all the way.
我完全同意并支持你。
always the way
总是这样 what always happens
by the way
顺便地,附带说说 used to introduce a comment or question that is only indirectly related, if at all, to the main subject of conversation
Oh, by the way, there is a telephone message for you.
哦,对了,有你一个电话口信。
By the way, have you heard from Bill lately?
顺便问一下,你最近收到比尔的信了吗?
By the way, what time is it?
顺便问一下,现在几点了?
What did you say your name was, by the way?
顺便问一句,您说您的名字叫什么来着?
路经,途经 by a viaThey are travelling to France by way of London.他们经伦敦去法国。
They returned by way of Hong Kong.
他们是取道香港回来的。
We travelled through Germany by way of Hamburg,Cologne and Munich.
我们取道汉堡,科隆和慕尼黑游历了德国。
I can easily come home by way of the Post Office and get your stamps.
我回家可以路经邮局,给你买几张邮票很容易。
作为,当作 as a type of sth or serving as sthWe had some sandwiches by way of a meal.我们吃了一些三明治,就算是一顿饭了。
By way of an introduction,I shall explain some of the historical background.
作为开场白,我来解释一下历史背景。
Henry is by way of being a nuisance.
亨利几乎成了人见人烦的家伙。
意在,为了 with the intention of or for the purpose ofBy way of introduction to my subject,I'd like to tell you how I first came to be interested in it.为了引入我的话题,我想告诉你我起初是怎样对这个问题感兴趣的。
Let's eat out tonight, by way of a change.
咱们到外面去吃饭吧,换换口味。
What are you thinking of doing by way of a holiday this year?
今年的假期你打算怎么过?
By way of introducing himself he showed me his card.
为了介绍他自己,他让我看了他的名片。
He did it by way of helping me.
他这么做的目的在于帮助我。
come sb's way
发生或来到某人处 occur or present itself to one
An opportunity like that doesn't often come my way.
这样的机会可不常落在我头上。
every which way
四面八方,上下左右 all over the place
When the police arrived, the crowd started running every which way.
警察赶到时,人群向四面八方奔跑。
America, in short, has become overrun with runners running every which way.
总而言之,跑步在美国已是风行一时,到处都有人在跑。
get〔have〕 one's own way
为所欲为 get or do what one wants, often in spite of opposition
She always gets her own way in the end.
到头来总是她想怎样就怎样。
He's very charming and always manages to get his own way.
他很讨人喜欢,所以做起事来总是能如愿以偿。
If I had my own way, these drug dealers would be shot!
要是让我来处理,这些毒品贩子就得枪毙!
The child is rather spoiled because his mother has always let him have his own way.
这孩子给娇惯坏了,他妈妈总是由着他爱干什么就干什么。
give way (to)
断裂,倒塌,垮了 break or collapseHer legs suddenly gave way and she fell to the floor.她两腿突然支持不住,摔倒在地板上了。
The floor gave way under the heavy weight.
地板被重物压塌了。
The bridge will give way if we don't take the load off our vehicles before we cross it.
假如我们不把车上载的货卸掉就过桥,桥会垮掉。
His health has given way.
他身体垮了。
让某人在先,让出,放弃 allow sb/ yieldYou must give way when you come to this junction.你到了这个路口必须让路。
Give way to traffic coming from the right.
让右方驶来的车辆先行。
听任自己表现 let oneself be overcomeMrs. Jones didn't give way during the flood, but she was very frightened.发洪水时琼斯太太害怕得要命,但没有失去控制。
He gave way to tears.
他痛哭流涕。
She didn't shout, but she gave way to a low controlled anger.
她并没有高声叫喊,但是她控制不住压抑着的怒火。
让步,妥协 make concessionsMy new evidence forced him to give way.我的新证据迫使他屈服。
Mary refused at first but she gave way in the end.
玛丽起初拒绝,最后还是让了步。
A deadlock was reached in the discussions, as neither side would give way to the other.
讨论中出现了僵局,因为哪一方都不愿向对方让步。
被代替 be replaced by sthThe storm gave way to bright sunshine.暴风雨过后出现了灿烂的阳光。
Steam trains gave way to electric trains.
蒸汽火车被电力火车取代。
Jealousy gave way to admiration of their prowess.
嫉妒消失了,代替它的是对他们的杰出的才能的钦佩。
go one's own way
按自己的意愿行事 act independently or as one chooses, especially against the advice of others
Whatever you suggest, she will always go her own way.
无论怎样劝说,她也总是我行我素。
It is a waste of time warning him— he is determined to go his own way.
警告他等于浪费时间,因为他决心要照自己的意思去做。
go out of one's way
特意不怕麻烦做某事 take particular care and trouble to do sth
The shop assistant went out of his way to find what we needed.
那个店员不厌其烦地满足我们的需要。
Although he was busy, he went out of his way to help me.
他虽然很忙,还是想尽办法帮助我。
She went out of her way to make things difficult for us.
她千方百计刁难我们。
go sb's way
与某人同路 travel in the same direction as sbIf you are going my way, perhaps we can share a taxi.如果你和我同路,也许我们可以同坐一辆出租车。
对某人有利 be favourable to sbThings certainly seem to be going our way.看来事情确实对我们有利。
I woke up late this morning, and then the traffic delayed me as I came to work— nothing seems to be going my way today.
今天早上醒晚了,上班时又因交通拥挤而耽误了时间——看来今天什么都不顺心。
have it both ways
两全其美,两者兼得 gain advantage from each of two opposing opinions or actions
You'll have to decide whether you want to lose weig you cannot have it both ways!
要减轻体重还是要吃巧克力,你得选择其中之一,两者不可兼得!
You cannot have it both ways. You must either stay home or come with us.
你不可能二者兼得,要不你留在家里,要不就跟我们一起去。
have it one's own way
为所欲为 have what one wants, especially by imposing one's will on others
All right, have it your own way— I'm tired of arguing.
好了,随你的便吧——我懒得和你争了。
in a big way
大规模 on a large scale
He's got himself into trouble in a big way.
他可惹了大麻烦了。
She collects antiques in a big way.
她收集了大量古玩。
在某种程度上 to a certain extent but not entirely
In a way I can see what you mean, even though I don't share your point of view.
尽管我同你看法不一样,但在一定程度上我是能理解你的意思的。
in the way
造成不便或阻碍 causing inconvenience or an obstruction
I couldn't get through the door because there was a big box in the way.
有一只大箱子堵着门,我过不去。
I left them alone, as I felt I was in the way.
我躲开他们,因为我觉得我碍他们的事。
look the other way
避而不看某人 avoid seeing sb/sth, deliberately or by chance
When I saw Jane in the street, she just looked the other way.
当我在街上看到简时,她只是装作没看见。
make one's way
走,行走,前进 go (forward)
I'll make my way home now.
我现在要回家了。
I made my way towards the harbour.
我朝港口的方向走。
He made his way along the road.
他沿着公路走。
When the concert was over we made our way out of the hall.
音乐会结束时,我们从大厅里挤了出来。
让开,让路,让位 get out of sb' provide the necessary space
Make way, there! I need to get through.
让一让,我需要走过去。
The old houses were knocked down to make way for a new office development.
老房子被拆除了,好腾出地方来建造新办公楼。
绝不 under no circumstances or by no means
Give up our tea break?No way!
让我们放弃工作休息时间?没门儿!
“Will you help me do this?” “N do it yourself!”
“你来帮我干这个好吗?”“不行,你自己干吧!”
There's no way I'm agreeing to that!
这件事我绝不同意!
No way will I go on working for that man.
我不再给那个人工作了。
on one's/the way
在路上 in the process of going or coming
It' we must be on our way.
天黑了,我们该走了。
Our car broke down on the way to New York.
我们的车在去纽约的路上坏了。
It looks as if more trouble is on the way.
看来,更多的麻烦还在后头呢。
on the way out
正在离开 in the process of leavingI bumped into him on the way out.我正出门的时候碰上了他。
There is a rumour that Jack is on the way out.
据传杰克即将离职。
渐渐过时 going out
becoming obsoleteLook at her face! Doesn't she know that thick black eyeliner is on the way out?瞧她的脸!她难道不知道涂那厚厚的黑色描眼膏已过时了?
one way and another
考虑到各个方面 considering various aspects of the matter together
She's been very successful, one way and another.
无论从哪方面看,她都是很有成就的。
one way or another
不管怎样 considering everything
We must finish the job this week one way or another.
我们无论如何必须在本周做完这项工作。
out of the way
偏远 far remoteI'd better show you how to get to the house, as it's rather out of the way and you might get lost.我最好还是把到那房子的方法指给你看,因为它很偏僻,弄不好你会迷路。
My new house in the country is very nice, but it's rather out of the way.
我乡间的新居很漂亮,就是偏僻了一点。
异常的,罕见的,不普通的 uncommonHe has done nothing out of the way yet.他倒还没干出离谱的事。
We did nothing out of the way on our holiday.
我们的假日过得平平常常。
I didn't see anything out of the way in his talk.
在他的发言中,我们没听出什么新鲜的东西。
Peter said something out of the way during the breakfast.
彼得在吃早饭时说了一些不当的话。
put in the way of
使(某人)有机会做(某事) give sb the chance of doing〔getting〕 sth
put sb in the way of sth
He put me in the way of a job.他使我有机会得到一份工作。
see one's way to
觉得可能 find that it is possible or convenient to do sth
see one's way to v-ing
I cannot see my way clear to finishing the work this year.我看我今年做不完这项工作。
I don't see my way clear to recommending you for the job.我觉得不便推荐你去担任那项工作。
Could you see your way to lending me £10 for a couple of days?你能不能借我10英镑,过两天还你?
stand in sb's way
阻止某人做某事 prevent sb from doing sth
Alexander threatens to stand in your way if you insist on taking up the same profession as his.
亚历山大威胁说,如果你坚持要从事和他一样的职业,他会从中作梗。
If you really want to leave home,I won't stand in your way, but I think it's a foolish idea at your age.
如果你真的要离开家,我不阻挡你,不过我觉得在你这样的年纪有这样的想法是愚蠢的。
the other way round
与料想的相反 the opposite of what is expected or supposed
I was accused of stealing money from her, but in fact it was the other way round.
说我偷了她的钱,其实正相反,是她偷了我的钱。
已经开始并进行着 having started and making progressAn investigation is under way.调查工作在进行中。
The yearly campaign to raise funds for the Red Cross is already under way.
每年一度为红十字会募集基金的运动已在进行中。
启航 start to move through the waterThe great ship got under way.大船启航了。
We drew up the two boats, and set all hands at work to put the ship under way.
我们停住两只小船,一起动手开动大船。
Because of the delay, the ship did not get under way until midnight.
因为延误,到午夜才开船。
way of life
生活方式 normal pattern of social or working life of a person or group
Do you think my way of life would suit you?
你认为我的生活方式对你合适吗?
Foreigners take some time to adjust to our way of life.
外国人要花一些时间才能适应我们的生活方式。
work one's way
半工半读 have a paid job while one is a student
She had to work her way through law school.
她须半工半读学习法律。
work one's way through
从头到尾做 do sth from beginning to end
It takes years to work your way through the examination system until you gain a degree.
你需要花上几年时间奋力通过全部考试才能获得学位。
He was working his way steadily through an enormous steak.
他在聚精会神地吃很大一块牛排。
work one's way up
获提升,晋级 be promoted from a low grade to a high one
The chairman of the company claims to have worked his way up from delivery boy.
公司董事长声称他是从一名送货童逐步升上去的。
用作副词 (adv.)
很久以前 a long time ago
We're friends from way back.
我们老早就是朋友了。
That happened way back in the 19th century.
那件事早在19世纪就发生了。
I first met him way back in the fifties.
我和他最初见面是早在50年代的事。
用作名词 (n.)
妨碍某人通行
扫清道路,让路
摸索着前进,小心从事
奋勇前进,闯出前进的道路
找到出路,发现出路
出发,动身,离去
知道到…的路
带路,引路,示范
事业有所成就
为…铺平道路
谨慎地走过…
在…中缓慢吃力地行进(至)
小心缓慢地行进
采用一种方式
欣赏…方法〔手段〕
改变…方法〔方式〕
对…有办法
给某人指出路
提出…方法
想出个办法
(议论、行为等)对双方都起作用,模棱两可
自主行事,随心所欲
开始进行,开始
撤退,让步,屈服,(身体)垮掉
独立行动,一意孤行
特地,想尽办法
特别喜欢,极爱
随心所欲,为所欲为
支付应承担的费用,勉强维持
牺牲自己以助他人
独自行动,一意孤行
习惯的方式
转弯抹角的说法
简短的陈述
粗心大意的习惯
讨人喜欢的方式
不同的方向
容易的方法
有效的方法
熟悉的方法,常用的方法
外国的风俗
现代的方法
正确的方式
正确的方式
错误的方式
经由,作为,当作
顺便提一下
在某种程度上
在某一方面
小规模地,节俭地
没有任何一点,绝不
挡道的,碍事的
去机场的路上
受不到伤害的地方
不挡道,不妨碍人,偏僻的
进入…的路
进公园的路
出这幢楼的路
摆脱这困境的路
奔向自由的道路
成功的道路
去车站的路
做生意的方式
对某人十分称心的做法〔方式〕
用作副词 (adv.)
In winter, when the ways were bad and the nights long.
出自:Ld Macaulay
In among the silver birches winding ways of tarmac wander.
出自:J. Betjeman
The Pennine Way..goes from Edale in Derbyshire..to Teesdale.
出自:Daily Mail
But, in the beaten way of friendship, what make you at Elsinore?
出自:Hamlet,Shakespeare
The three men had become mere specks, 'way down the road.
出自:Baroness Orczy
They live way up top.
出自:H. Kurnitz
It's late, Holmes, way after eleven.
出自:K. Hulme
The country's always been way ahead in industrial..development.
出自:N. Gordimer
way的详细讲解:
way的基本意思是“路,道,街,径”,一般用来指具体的“路,道路”,也可指通向某地的“方向”“路线”或做某事所采用的手段,即“方式,方法”。way还可指“习俗,作风”“距离”“附近,周围”“某方面”等。
way作“方法,方式,手段”解时,前面常加介词in。如果way前有this, that等限定词,介词可省略,但如果放在句首,介词则不可省略。
way作“方式,方法”解时,其后可接of v -ing或to- v 作定语,也可接定语从句,引导从句的关系代词或关系副词常可省略。
by the way表面上似乎暗示打算顺便补充些不太重要的话,但事实上却常被用来引出一个其实是十分重要的话题。例如:By the way,I wonder if we could discuss my salary some time?顺便问一下,我想知道我们能不能找个时间讨论一下我的薪酬问题?
口语中in the family way常用作委婉语,表示“怀孕了”。例如:Sue and Liz are happy because their mother is in the family way.苏和里兹很高兴,因为他们的母亲怀孕了。
adv.(副词)
way用作副词时意思是“远远地,大大地”,通常指在程度或距离上有一定的差距。
way back表示“很久以前”。
way, manner, method, mode
这组词都有“方法”的意思。其区别在于:
1.method指具有一套理论和系统做指导的方法,强调其条理性、高效率,是就设计而言的,存在于头脑中,有好的也有不好的。
2.manner着重指一个人做事的方式和从一些具体动作上表现出来的特征,其复数形式manners的意思是“礼貌”“举止”“风俗”,与单数形式的意思有很大的差别,为庄重用语,例如:
They carried on their research work in a systematic and well organized manner.他们系统地、有条不紊地进行着科研工作。
He did everything in a leisurely manner.他做什么事都是一副不紧不慢的样子。
The results depend as much on the manner of executing the plans as on the plans themselves.计划执行的结果,不仅取决于计划本身,也同样取决于执行的方法。
3.way指某人在处理某一问题或做某件事时用他自己与众不同的方式或习惯去做,为普通用语。例如:
He always speaks in a careless way.他总是漫不经心地说话。
The century has brought us not only new things to see but new ways of seeing.本世纪以来我们不但有了许多新事物,而且有了看待问题的新方法。
4.mode指在举止、言谈、写作、生活等方面已形成固定的习惯或独特的模式,不含条理性,强调刻板、不易改变,是就应用而言的,有熟练的也有笨拙的。例如:
He suddenly became wealthy, which changed his whole mode of life.他突然有钱了,财富改变了他的整个生活方式。
It is a bad mode of holding a pen.那是一种不好的拿笔方法。
way, path, road, route, track
这组词都有“路”的意思。其区别在于:
1.path指“小路”“小径”,常为人或畜走出来的路,引申可指思想、行为和生活等途径。
2.road意义广泛,一般指交通大道。例如:
The roads were blocked with crowds of people. 道路被人群挤得水泄不通。
Houses in this area have all appreciated in value since the new road was built.新路建好之后这一地区的房子都增值了。
He advocated building more good roads.他主张修筑更多的好公路。
We have been advised that the roads are too icy for the trip.有人告诉我们路太滑不好走。
3.way泛指路,常和其他词构成复合词。例如:
They barred the way and we couldn't go any farther.他们挡住了路,我们不能再往前走。
On our way to the peak, a fierce storm suddenly blew up.在爬向顶峰时,突然刮起猛烈的大风。
The land has appreciated greatly since the new railway was built.自新铁路建成后,这片地的价值大为增加。
4.route指按规定行走的路线、航线。例如:
They returned by the same route.他们从原路返回。
They decided on the route they were to take.他们决定了要走的路线。
The plane did not fly the usual commercial route.飞机没有沿通常的商业航线飞。
5.track所指的路铺有车轨。例如:
They are laying the tracks for a new railway.他们正在为铁路铺新轨。
The locomotive ran off the track and the cars overturned.机车出了轨,车厢翻了。
这些名词均含“方法、方式”之意。
:manner多指行动的特殊方式或独特的方法。
:method指有系统、有条理地办事或解决问题的方法。
:way普通用词,可指一般的方法,有时也指个人的方法或方式,也可指特殊的方式或方法。
:mode书面用词,常指因个人爱好或传统习俗等因素而遵循的方法。
:fashion着重独特的程序或方式,尤指个人的偏爱或习惯。
:means指为达到某种目的或目标而采用的方法、手段或途径。
:approach指从事某事的特别方法、途径。
这些名词均有“路”之意。
:path多指由人或动物在田间、小丘或树丛中经常走动而踩出的小路,也指公园或花园等供人走的小径。
:road指连接两地间供行人或车辆使用的广阔平坦的大道,多指公路,也可用于引申意义。
:way普通用词,含义广泛,可指各种路、道或通道,也可指抽象的道路。
:street尤指城市中的道路,往往一侧或两侧有高大建筑物;还可指城市小镇、近郊可供人、车、马行走的平坦道路。
:highway通常指市区外可以通行各种机动车辆的交通干线。
:avenue在美国,指城市中一侧或两侧建筑物林立的大道或马路;而在英国则常指通往乡村大住宅、私人大庄园或两旁栽树的道路。
:motorway高速公路,特指为车辆快速通行而修的专线,美语为freeway或expressway。
:route指从此处通往彼处的路线、路程等。
:lane指农村或城镇的小道或小径,也指小巷。
:pavement在英国,多指街道两旁的人行道,而美国人常用sidewalk表示人行道。
:trail指人或兽在森林、荒野或山中踩出的小径或崎岖小道。
你能告诉我去车站的路吗?
误 Would you tell me the road to the station?
正 Would you tell me the way to the station?
析 road和way都有“路”的意思, road通常指“道路,马路”,而way则指“从某地到某地的路”,即“路线”,而不一定是“马路”。
在中国现代化道路上,科学技术正在起着越来越大的作用。
误 On China's way of modernization science and technology are playing a more and more important role.
正 On China's road〔path〕 to modernization science and technology are playing a more and more important role.
析 作为比喻的“道路”,通常用road或path,介词不用of,应用to。way of modernization表示“现代化的方式”。
请别站在厨房门口——你挡住路了。
误 Please don't stand in the kitchen door— you're on the way.
正 Please don't stand in the kitchen door— you're in the way.
析 表示“妨碍,碍事”,可以说in the way。on the way表示“在…途中”。
在去办公室的路上,我遇见了一个老朋友。
误 On the way to office,I met an old friend of mine.
正 On the way to my/the office,I met an old friend of mine.
析 on the way to表示“在去…的路上”,在表示具体地点的名词前须加物主代词或定冠词the,如office, house等; 在表示抽象意义的名词前则不加物主代词或定冠词,如work, school等。
在回家的路上他淋雨了。
误 On his way to home, he was caught in rain.
正 On his way home, he was caught in rain.
析 on one's way后如果接表示地点的副词,则不用介词to。
他就要成为一个工程师了。
误 He is on the way to become an engineer.
正 He is on the way to becoming an engineer.
析 表示“即将成为…”时,可以说on the way to v -ing,这里的to是介词,不是动词不定式符号。
请走这边。
误 Please go in this way.
正 Please go this way.
析 表示“请往…走”,常可说please go this〔that,the other 〕way, way的前面都不用in。
这是旅行的好方式。
误 It's a nice way for travelling.
正 It's a nice way of travelling.
正 It's a nice way to travel.
析 在表示“方式,方法”时, way后面可以接动词不定式,也可以接“of+ v -ing”形式,介词of不可换成for。
他做这件事的方式吸引了我。
误 The way which he did it attracted me.
正 The way he did it attracted me.
正 The way that he did it attracted me.
析 the way表示“…的方式〔方法〕”时,后面可用定语从句修饰,此时,引导从句的关系代词或关系副词往往省略。
这就是我做的方式。
误 This is the way how I do it.
正 This is the way I do it.
正 This is how I do it.
析 在way后的定语从句中,如果用way就不用how,用how就不用way。
玛丽驾车经比特大街去购物中心。
误 Mary drove up to the shopping center by the way of Pitt Street.
正 Mary drove up to the shopping center by way of Pitt Street.
析 表示“经由,取道”,可以说by way of, way之前不可加冠词the。
他的恐惧变成了愤怒。
误 His fear gave way to be angry.
正 His fear gave way to anger.
析 表示“让位给,转化为”,可以说give way to, to是介词,不是动词不定式符号。
他特意努力去帮助她。
误 He went out of his way to helping her.
正 He went out of his way to help her.
析 go out of one's way表示“特意努力去做某事”时, way后可接动词不定式,而不接动名词。
他们给公共汽车让道。
误 They made a way for the bus.
正 They made way for the bus.
析 表示“给…让道”,可以说make way for, make和for之间不可加冠词。
我的乡村新居很好,尽管地方偏僻些,却不受外界干扰。
误 My new house in the country is very nice. It's rather out of way, but it's also very private.
正 My new house in the country is very nice. It's rather out of the way, but it's also very private.
析 out of the way可表示“偏僻的,很少有人去的”, way之前定冠词the不可省。
从这个方面来说,你是对的。
误 From a way you are right.
正 In a way you are right.
析 in a way是习语,表示“从…方面来说”,介词in不可换用其他介词。
理论绝不能脱离实践。
误 In no way theory can be separated from practice.
正 In no way can theory be separated from practice.
析 in no way表示“绝不,根本不”,位于句首时,句子应部分倒装。
☆ 直接源自古英语的weg;最初源自原始日耳曼语的wegaz,意为路。
way的海词问答与网友补充:
way的相关资料:
way&:&方法,做法 ...
在&&中查看更多...
【同义词】
way的相关缩略词,共有7条
波回避游艇
way:way n. 路, 路线, 路途, 习惯, 行业, 规模, 道路, 情形adj. 中途, 途中的adv. 远远地, 大大地, 非常Google提供的广告习惯用语across the way 路对面,…
相关词典网站:

我要回帖

更多关于 glassdoor是什么 的文章

随机推荐