所属版本: 通用
上传时间:
下载次数:72次
资料类型:模拟/摸底/预测
文档大小:203KB
所属点数: 2点
【下载此资源需要登录并付出 2 点,】
资料概述与简介
This battle, if I can call it that, started almost two years ago when my daughter insisted that I buy her a talking clock. __1__ as a good father, with the__2__of teaching her time, I went to the shop and, as instructed by my daughter,__3__this talking digital clock.
By default (默认值), the__4__appeared in degrees Fahrenheit. I pressed__5__of the buttons on the clock but no matter how hard I tried, I wasn’t able to__6__it into degrees Celsius. I had a couple of other digital clocks in which there was a separate button to change the temperature settings. This was__7__ here. I opened a few screws (螺丝钉) but it was all__8__.The thing with the digital clock is that when you put the battery in it, it displays all the fields and it now had the all important degrees Celsius sign on it as well.__9__ moved on. Every day when I saw the clock, I would think, “What would be the way to change the__10__of the temperature?”
Fast-forward to 9:30 am this morning. I just picked up the clock again... my__11__told me that every time I pressed the “mode” button, there was a(n)__12__action and so this time I went very__13__, one by one... and Bingo! There it was – the__14__ had been won. It now proudly displays the temperature in degrees Celsius. I was so__15__that I even took a picture.
What this small__16__taught me was that I knew what I wanted was__17__right in front of me, and all that was required was the right frame of mind to__18__it.
That’s what life has_19___for all of us. If you know that something is achievable then all you need is the right attitude. Victory is just a matter of__20__.
2. A. mood
3. A. took out
B. picked up
C. put away
D. turned up
4. A. time
B. picture
D. temperature
6. A. develop
7. A. left
C. misplaced
D. missing
8. A. in place
B. in effect
C. in vain
D. in practice
9. A. Time
C. The clock
D. The problem
10. A. state
B. display
C. degrees
D. accuracy
11. A. wife
B. daughter
D. judgment
12. A. large
B. important
C. necessary
D. corresponding
13. A. hard
D. efficiently
14. A. game
C. contest
15. A. curious
B. surprised
C. confident
D. excited
16. A. incident
B. accident
D. business
17. A. never
18. A. impress
D. arrange
19. A. in store
B. in need
C. in time
D. in turn
20. A. chance
D. confidence
(A) Scholarship Application Tips in 2013 for college students
Before you apply
1. Work hard to get good grades. Don’t sweat about one bad grade, but always strive to do your best.
2. Get involved, and stay involved, in extracurricular (课外的) activities. Sports, clubs, drama, bands and orchestras – these often count toward a student’s overall scholarship application evaluation. The same goes for paid (or unpaid) work experience.3. Begin your scholarship research early – by your sophomore (大学二年级) or junior year of high school, if possible. Make special note of application deadlines, as they can vary from late summer to late spring.4. Apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible (符合条件的) for – several smaller scholarships can add up to a lot of money.During the application process
1. Read the supplementary (补充的) materials that come with scholarship application forms to better understand the program’s focus (community service, subject interest). Try to answer the questions with the focus area in mind.2. Answer questions as they are asked. Don’t go off topic.
3. If there is a financial component (部分) to the application, make sure you get accurate and complete information from all appropriate sources to ensure your eligibility.4. Take your time. Write down everything you can think of for each question, then set the application aside for a day so you can look everything over again before you send it off.
5. Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your application, especially if you are applying online. Computer systems can get clogged (阻塞的) with the large volume of applicants hoping to submit their qualifications during the last few days and hours before a deadline.
6. If a third party has to complete part of your application, such as providing a letter of recommendation, make sure you ask them early on and remind them as often as necessary to ensure they provide you with the necessary materials.
7. Last but not least, review your application with your parents to make sure you haven’t left out any important details.
Good luck to the students applying for the 2013 scholarship programs!
21. Before you apply for a scholarship, it’s best to ______.
A. pay more attention to grades than to extracurricular activities
B. focus on only one scholarship application
C. get as much work experience as possible
D. begin your preparation as early as possible
22. When are answering questions on the application form, you should ______.
A. focus on the subject you are interested in
B. answer to the point
C. list your advantages
D. prove your abilities
23. The author suggests that applicants should _______.
A. submit the application in the few days
B. double-check their application with their parents
C. complete and submit the application in one day
D. avoid submitting the application online
There’s a photo in my collection of vacation shots that I pull out from time to time to remind myself. It’s a picture of me from the late 1970s on a bench in London’s Victoria Station, my head resting against a wall, eyes closed with tiredness, clothes messed up.
I used to love that shot. It was evidence of my leisure time, of travel, of interruption from the office: miles covered, sights seen, train stations raced through, goals achieved.
However, as I leave work to hit the vacation trail this summer, I take along something extra. This traveling companion has a habit of ruining trips with feelings of guilt – the guilt that comes from attempting to vacation while thinking of the job.
The conflict between the time we want off and the guilt we feel when we actually give in to leisure is a long-running battle that has gone too far, driven by 24-7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) technology and an over-scheduling craze. It has made many feel as if their free moments are a form of truancy (玩忽职守).
It’s hard to take it easy when you’ve been programmed not to. We have been taught for generations that work is the only goal.
Time that is unfilled is evil. We are led to believe, and unplanned enjoyment should be avoided. This is reinforced these days by a workplace culture that wants you to believe that advancement depends on your staying on the job.
Research now shows, however, that leisure time can do something job advancement and money can’t. Leisure activities increase your desire to work, leadership skills, your sense of awareness, and your ability to change.
Free time also promotes a positive mood and sense of well-being, because it develops self-worth. Deep down, everyone knows we need time off to make our lives better.
On holiday, using your productive output as a measure of yourself doesn’t work. This is because a vacation isn’ it’s about input – exploring, learning, reflecting. The magic of a holiday is in the experience itself. This is the same
it can’t be measured, only felt.
The best part of a vacation isn’t
it’s being where you are, fully involved in the experience.
24. The author mentions the photo at the beginning because ______.
A. it brings back good memories of a leisure tour
B. it shows how exhausting leisure travel can be
C. it shows the writer once considered leisure travel as a goal in itself
D. it proves interruptions from the office do not spoil his enjoyment of travel
25. What does the underlined phrase “this traveling companion” refer to?
A. The feeling of doing something wrong.
B. Interruptions from the office.
C. Enjoying leisure time.
D. Thinking of one’s goals.
26. What is the main benefit of leisure time according to the article?
A. It improves your productivity.
B. It is good for personal development.
C. It leads directly to job advancement. D. It helps you see your goals in life more clearly.
27. What does the author suggest people do while on vacation?
A. Take leisure tours like he does.
B. Ignore job advancement and money.
C. Get rid of 24-7 technology when they are on vacation.
D. Enjoy the experience of being on vacation.
My 9-year-old daughter and I were flying from our home in Charlotte, North Carolina, to spend a week with my husband in Miami, Florida. We were excited about the trip because we had seen him only five times in five months, and Kallie missed her dad terribly.
As usual on the Charlotte-to-Miami flight, the plane was full. I had noticed a troop of Boy Scouts at the gate and commented to my daughter that if anything happened, we would be OK with all those Scouts on our flight! Little did I know...
Because we did not get our boarding passes until we arrived at the gate, Kallie and I could not get seats together and were separated by the aisle. It wasn’t a big deal, but Kallie was nervous about the trip and had counted on me reading to her the whole way.
When the two passengers who shared my row boarded the plane, I asked if they would switch places with us, so that we could be together and so that she could sit next to the window. They refused, saying they thought they should stay in their assigned seats. Meanwhile, a mother and her three children were in a panic several rows ahead of us. There had been a mistake in t the whole family had been split up. She was in tears, yet nobody offered to help.
Suddenly the Scout leader stood up and said, “Ma’am, I think we can help you.” He then spent five minutes rearranging his group so that adequate space was available for the family. The boys followed his directions cheerfully and without complaint, and the mother’s relief was obvious.
Kallie, however, was beginning to panic at the thought of not being next to a window or her mother. I told her that there wasn’t anything I we would have to sit where we were. Amazingly, the man sitting next to the Scoutmaster, turned around to me and asked, “Would you and your daughter like our seats?” referring to himself and the Scoutmaster.
Would that man have offered us his seat if the Scouts hadn’t done so for the mom and her children? I don’t know. But I do know that kindness is contagious, and good deeds beget good deeds!
28. Which of the following could be put after “Little did I know” at the end of the second paragraph?
A. that the Scouts did help us out later to some degree.
B. that the Scouts would help another lady instead of us.
C. that the plane would not start.
D. that we would meet some unfriendly passengers.
29. What happened after the author and her daughter boarded the plane?
a. A mother was in a worse situation than the author.
b. Though unwilling, the Scout boys followed their leader’s order.
c. The author’s daughter felt unhappy but calm when sitting alone.
d. The author’s neighbor passengers turned down her request for switching seats.
e. The author and her daughter found they couldn’t do what they had planned to do.
30. What does the underlined word “contagious” mean in the last paragraph?
A. Powerful.
B. Everlasting.
C. Beneficial.
D. Spreading.
31. What is the author’s main purpose in writing this passage?
A. To show that good deeds lead to more good deeds.
B. To criticize the coldness of some passengers.
C. To compare two different kinds of people.
D. To tell us that we should put children first.
In the 1990s, the term “digital divide” described the technology haves and have-nots.
Nowadays the divide has grown smaller, but left a troubling side effect.
Studies show children in poorer families spend more time than those from better-off families watching TV, playing video games and on social networking sites.
“I’m not anti technology at home, but it’s not a savior (救星),” said Laura Robell, principal at Elmhurst Community Prep, a middle school in the lower-income area of East Oakland, California. “So often we have parents come up to us and say, ‘I have no idea how to monitor Facebook.’”
The Federal Communications Commission plans to spend $200 million on digital literacy corps, involving perhaps thousands of teachers of productive computing in schools and libraries. Some private and state projects already exist.
A study published in 2010 by the Kaiser Family Foundation, which studies health policy in the US, found that children of parents without college degrees spent 90 minutes more per day exposed to media than children from higher socioeconomic families.
Children of parents without a college degree spent 11.5 hours each day exposed to media, an increase of 4 hours and 40 minutes per day since 1999.
Even children of more educated parents tended to use their devices for entertainment – 10 hours of multimedia a day, a 3.5-hour jump from 1999.
“Despite the educational potential of computers, the reality is that their use for education or meaningful content creation is tiny compared to their use for pure entertainment,” said Vicky Rideout, author of the study. “Instead of closing the achievement gap, they’re widening the time-wasting gap.”
In 12-year-old Markiy Cook's family, money is limited, but there are two laptops, an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii. Markiy has his own phone. He likes Facebook, texting and games.
“I stay up all night, until like 7 in the morning,” he laughs, slightly embarrassed. “It’s why I’m so tired on Monday.” His grades are suffering with a D average. He wants to be a biologist when he grows up.
Alejandro Zamora, 13, an eighth grader, calls himself “a Facebook freak”. His mother, Olivia Montesdeoca, said she could not get him to use the computer for homework.
She added that she did not understand the Internet. “I have no idea about YouTube. I’ve never even heard of a webcam.”
32. According to the text, Laura Robell is concerned that ______.
A. a lot of parents don’t care about monitoring their children’s behavior online
B. the US government do not make enough effort to introduce technology in education
C. many school children aren’t using technology properly at home
D. a lot of parents do not know enough about technology
33. We can learn from the text that children from more educated families ______.
A. spend less time using their devices purely for entertainment purposes
B. spend fewer hours on the Internet than they used to
C. would rather visit social networking sites than play video games
D. achieve more than children of parents who have had a worse education
34. What problem do Markiy Cook and Alejandro Zamora have?
A. They are both addicted to video games
B. They both perform badly at school
C. Neither of them use multimedia mainly for education
D. Neither of them have parents who know a lot about technology
35. What is the text mainly about?
A. The educational potential of digital devices.
B. The troubles caused by a narrowing digital divide.
C. American students’ dependence on multi-media.
D. The problems faced by lower income American families.
Keys: 1-5 ACBDA
6-10 BDCAB
11-15 CDCBD
16-20 ABCAB
1. A。前后两句之间是因果关系,故选A。2. C。intent意思是“意图、目的”。3. B。此题只需理解各词组的意思即可做出正确选择。take out 取出;put away 收好、放一边;turn up 出现;而pick up意为“用较少的钱买到”。4. D。由“degrees Fahrenheit”可断定该句在表述温度。5. A。只有all才能表达出作者做了各种尝试,和“no matter how hard I tried”意思吻合。6. B。根据句意判断为“更改”。而且紧跟着的一句也提示动词应该为“change”: “...to change the temperature settings”。7. D。上一句说其他电子钟都有专门的键来更改温度设置,而作者在这只钟上没找到,所以是missing。如果选left,意思不通;而新购买的钟不可能broken;通过下文可知也不是“misplaced”。8. C。in vain 徒劳地;in place 在适当的位置;in effect 有效、起作用;in practice 在实践,在练习。9. A。根据上下文,此句在说时间。10. B。需要更改的是温度的显示方式。 display 显示。11. C。排除法。自己告诉自己。mind 头脑、感觉、记忆。12. D。根据句意,作者是说每一次摁“mode”键时,都有个“对应的”反应。13. C。句中“one by one”暗示作者这次摁得很慢。14. B。和文章开头“battle”一词呼应。15. D。这里表示作者调对温度显示后的兴奋感觉。16. A。“小事” 用incident表述。17. B。根据句意排除其他否定副词,选always。18. C。solve 解决。其他选项不符合文中语境。19. A。in store 等着,准备着; in turn 轮流,依次。20. B。此处意思是“胜利只是时间问题”。1. D。从“Begin your scholarship research early”可判断D正确。2. B。从“Answer questions as they are asked. Don’t go off topic”可判断B正确。3. B。从“review your application with your parents to make sure you haven’t left out any important details”判断B正确。. C。从“It was evidence of my leisure time, of travel, of interruption from the office: miles covered, sights seen, train stations raced through, goals achieved”,作者批判的“We have been taught for generations that work is the only goal”,后文作者陈述的leisure travel的好处,以及“The magic of a holiday is in the experience itself”可判断作者享受的是leisure travel本身,把它作为一种目标。作者喜欢这张照片是因为照片里人的状态,而并非那一次旅行本身,A不准确。. A。从“I take along something extra”,“has a habit of ruining trips with feelings of guilt”以及“The conflict between the time we want off and the guilt we feel”可判断作者这次出去旅行带了点负疚感guilt,即The feeling of doing something wrong。. B。从“Actively pursuing leisure increases your desire to work, leadership skills, your sense of competence, and your adaptability”和“Free time also promotes a positive mood and sense of well-being”等可总结出,leisure time最大的好处是有益于个人的发展。从“a vacation isn’ it’s about input”可判断 A错误,C和D文中没有提到。. D。从最后一段“The best part of a vacation…being where you are, fully involved in the experience”可判断D正确。. A。第二段里,作者和女儿在登机时看见了一队男童子军,作者对女儿说,有他们在一切都会OK的。由下文可知,她不知道接下来,真的是在他们的影响下,她和女儿能够换好座位坐在一起,所以A正确,to some degree意思是“在某种程度上”。. B。第四段里,那位母亲和她的三个孩子都不坐在一起,焦虑地都流泪了,可是还是没有人帮忙换座位,所以a正确。第四段的“They refused, saying they thought they should stay in their assigned seats”说明d正确。第三段里提到,开始的时候作者的女儿希望作者能在飞机上给她读书,但是登机后发现她们的座位不在一起,所以e正确。第五段的“The boys followed his directions cheerfully and without complaint”说明b的unwilling不对。第六段的“Kallie, however, was beginning to panic at the thought of not being next to a window or her mother”说明c的calm不对。所以正确答案为ade,选B。. D。根据最后一段,作者说如果那些童子军们开始的时候没有帮助那位母亲和她的孩子们,她不知道那位男士会不会主动提出帮作者换座位,所以contagious的意思应该是“传染的”。. A。作者在本文中讲述了自己和女儿在一次飞行旅途中的遭遇。在童子军们帮助一位母亲和她的孩子们把座位换到一起后,作者和女儿也在好心人的帮助下成功坐到了一起,尤其是文章的最后一句话点出了本文的中心思想,即一件好事会带来更多的好事。. C。根据Laura的话“So often we have parents come up to us and say, ‘I have no idea how to monitor Facebook.’”可知,很多孩子沉迷于Facebook等社交网络,他们不知道如何正确地在家里使用现代技术。. A。根据文意可知受教育程度低的学生接触多媒体的时间要少,Even children of more educated parents tended to use their devices for entertainment – 10 hours of multimedia a day, a 3.5-hour jump from 1999.这句话也表明这些孩子接触纯娱乐信息的时间相比受教育程度低的父母的孩子更少。. C。根据文章可知两人使用多媒体主要是和朋友交流和玩游戏,和教育相关甚少。. B。纵观全文,主要讲述了在高新科技逐渐普及的今天,虽然电子技术普及的差距正在减少,但是一个新的问题却到来了。文中开篇就提到Nowadays the divide has grown smaller, but left a troubling side effect. 而这一差距就是穷人家的孩子多是利用高科技玩游戏或者聊天,而富人家的孩子则没有。这使得穷人家的孩子浪费了很多的精力,成绩也收到了影响。
高考学习网-中国最大高考学习网站 | 我们负责传递知识!
高考学习网:
高考学习网:
其他相关资源
友情链接:
客服总机:400-606-99777 业务传真:010- 客服邮箱:Copyright &2006 - 2015 高考学习网版权所有. All Rights Reserved. 京ICP证100390号

我要回帖

更多关于 高三 意思 的文章

随机推荐