&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
2013年GCT考试外语运用能力测试真题及答案解析
http://www.
第四部分外语运用能力测试(英语)
  (50题,每小题2分,满分100分)
  Part One Vocabulary and Structure
  Directions:
  There are ten incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
  1. No ready technical data available, we managed to ______ them.
  A. go down B. go off
  C. go up D. go without
  2. The basic causes are unknown though certain conditions that may lead to cancer have been__________.
  A. identified B. guaranteed
  C. notified D. conveyed
  3. _________is known to all, good friends add happiness and value to each other's life.
  A. Like B. Since
  C. As D. Though
  4. The actor and actress provided superb interpretations of their ___________ roles.
  A. respectful B. respective
  C. respecting D. respected
  5. Our family ____________ not to exchange Christmas gifts this year.
  A. has agreed B. have agreed
  C. agrees D. had agreed
  6. We expected about 20 guests but there were ____________ people there.
  A. any B. other
  C. some D. more
  7. Computers _____________ 5% of the country's commercial electricity consumption.
  A. pay for B. stand for
  C. account for D. provide for
  8. The museum has been temporarily closed _____________ the public.
  A. with B. to
  C. on D. for
  9. If I had not been enjoying the work, I ____________ so much of it.
  A. would not do B. would not have done
  C. should not do D. should not have done
  10. ____________ may seem helpful behavior to you can be understood as interference by others.
  A. What B. That
  C. It D. Which
  Part Two Reading Comprehension
  Directions:
  In this part there are three passages and one table, each followed by five questions or unfinished statements. For each of them, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the cent.
  Questions 11-15 are based on the following passage:
  In the past, degrees were very unusual in my family. I remember the day my uncle graduated. We had a huge party, and for many years my mother called him &the genius& and listened to his opinion. Today in comparison, five of my brothers and sisters have degrees, and two are studying for their masters'. However, some people think that this increased access to education is devaluing degrees.
  People have several arguments against the need for degrees. They say that having so many graduates devalues a degree. People lose respect for the degree holder. It is also claimed that education has become a rat race. Graduates have to compete for jobs even after years of studying. Another point is that studying for such a long time leads to learners becoming inflexible. They know a lot about one narrow subject, but are unable to apply their skills. Employers prefer more flexible and adaptable workers.
  However, I feel strongly that this move to having more qualifications is a positive development. In the past education w and powerful. Now it is available to everyone, and this will have many advantages for the country and the individual. First of all, it is impossible to be overeducated. The more people are educated, the better the world will be, because people will be able to discuss and exchange ideas. A further point is that people with degrees have many more opportunities. They can take a wider variety of jobs and do what they enjoy doing, instead of being forced to take a job they dislike. Finally, a highly educated workforce is good for the economy of the country. It attracts foreign investment.
  In conclusion, although there are undoubtedly some problems with increased levels of education, I feel strongly that the country can only progress if all its people are educated to the maximum of their ability.
  11. What can we learn about the author's family?
  A. They used to disregard education.
  B. They are overeducated now.
  C. Few members were allowed to go to school in the past.
  D. There are now more educated members than in the past.
  12. The word &it& in the last sentence of Paragraph 3 refers to& _____________.
  A. education B. workforce
  C. economy D. country
  13. The author believes that education ____________.
  A. reduces the value of degrees B. makes people inflexible
  C. brings more job opportunities D. increases job competition
  14. What is the author's purpose of writing this passage?
  A. To argue about a disputed issue. B. To explain a complicated idea.
  C. To describe a social phenomenon. D. To demonstrate a research result.
  15. Which of the following is probably the best title for the passage?
  A. Degree No Longer Matters B. Education is Still Valuable
  C. Graduation and Jobs D. Problems with Education
  Questions 16-20 are based on the following passage:
  Ernest Hemingway wrote a short story called &The Capital of the World.& In it he tells' about a Spanish father who wants to reconcile (和解) with his son who has run away to Madrid. In order to locate the boy he takes out this ad in the newspaper: &Paco, meet me at Hotel Montana at noon on Tuesday. All is forgiven. Love, Papa.&
  Paco is a common name in Spain, and when the father goes to the square he finds 800 young men named Paco waiting for their fathers.
  What drew them to the hotel? As Hemingway tells it, it was the words &All is forgiven.& The father did not say, &All WILL BE forgiven IF you do this or that.& Not, &All WILL BE forgiven WHEN you do such and such.& He simply says, &All is forgiven.& No strings attached.
  And that's the hard part&un&attaching the strings. The origin of the expression &no strings attached& may go back to ancient times when documents were written on parchment (羊皮卷) that were rolled up and secured with a string.
  The Babylonian Talmud (犹太法典) tells of a man who gives his wife a bill of divorce on such a parchment, but holds onto the string so that he can snatch it back, should he choose to do so. The divorce, therefore, is not considered valid since he will not give it freely. Similarly, love, forgiveness or friendship that is given with strings attached are not valid, since they can be snatched back at any time.
  16. The father's ad in the newspaper __________.
  A. touched the hearts of many sons
  B. was a means to persuade the son
  C., made the son apologize to him
  D. solved the problem with his son
  17. By saying &All is forgiven&, the father intends to ____________.
  A. win his son's forgiveness
  B. reconsider his son's problems
  C. leave his son alone
  D. forget about the unpleasant past
  18. The expression &no strings attached& means& _____________&
  A. without treatment B. without conflict of interest
  C. without explanations D. without conditions
  19. It can be learned from the last paragraph that ____________.
  A. the man wanted to give his wife freedom
  B. the man gave his wife a restricted divorce
  C. the wife did not want to divorce her husband
  D. the wife refused to give her husband a free divorce
  20. It can be concluded from the passage that ____________.
  A. successful marriage requires complete freedom
  B. family members should learn to forgive each other
  C. tree love should be unconditional
  D. human emotions should not be restricted
  Questions 21-25 are based on the following passage:
  In a global survey released in 2012, half the responders admitted to buying things they really did not need. Two thirds are worried that consumers are buying too much. Such concerns may be justified. Many consumers have become trapped in debt.
  Researchers say that instead of making us more satisfied, high levels of consumption may lead to greater stress and unhappiness!
  As consumers, we are subjected to a great amount of marketing. What is the goal of marketers? To mm wants into needs. Marketers know that consumer behavior is driven largely by emotion. So advertisements and the shopping experience itself are designed for maximum emotional appeal.
  When you ask a consumer: Why do you buy so much? He or she may answer: I want to improve my quality of life. It is natural that people want a better life. Advertisers bombard us with messages that all of our desires&better health, security, relief from stress, and closer relationships&can be achieved by making the right purchases.
  But actually, as our number of possessions increases, our quality of life can actually decrease. Additional time and money are needed to care for more material things. Stress levels rise because of pressure from debt, and there is less time for family and friends. So you should protect yourself from becoming a victim of clever marketers. You should put emotion aside, and compare marketing promises with reality.
  21. The first paragraph tells us that ____________.
  A. half the things people buy are not needed
  B. most consumers are trapped in debt
  C. excessive buying is common
  D. consumption brings satisfaction
  22. According to the author, the goal of marketers is to ____________.
  A. turn the consumers' desires into consumptions
  B. carefully study the consumers' emotion
  C. make sure the consumers' needs are met
  D. make more money by cheating
  23. Many consumers are buying too much, because ____________.
  A. they don't know what they really need
  B. they want to stay in fashion
  C. they enjoy the shopping experiences
  D. they tend to be attracted by ads
  24. The word &bombard& in the third paragraph is closest in meaning to& _____________&.
  A. break B. attack
  C. convince D. supervise
  25. The purpose of the author in writing this article is to _____________.
  A. reveal marketing tricks
  B. explain the working theory of ads
  C. advise people against over-spending
  D. analyze consumer behavior
  Questions 26-30 are based on the following table:
  Marital Status in the UK in 1991 and 2011
  Marital StatusPercentage in 1991Percentage in 2011
  MaleFemaleMaleFemale
  Single
  Married
  Widowed415413
  Divorced1189
  26. Which marital status shows the least difference between males and females?
  A. Divorced. B. Widowed.
  C. Married. D. Single.
  27. Which of the following had the highest marriage rate?
  A. Males in 1991. B. Females in 1991.
  C. Males in 2011. D. Females in 2011.
  28. The percentage of females out of marriage in 2011 was ____________.
  A. 26 B. 34
  C. 35 D. 48
  29. Which group showed the greatest change over the 20 years?
  A. Single men. B. Single women.
  C. Married men. D. Married women.
  30. What characteristic can be found from the table?
  A. Most people chose to get married in both years.
  B. Unmarried population increased obviously in both sexes.
  C. More females than males got divorced in both years.
  D. More males stayed single in 1991 than in 2011.
  Part Three Cloze
  Directions:
  There are ten blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
  There once was a master who came to India, perhaps from Persia. When he got there, he saw a lot of 31 . In India they have plenty of fruit to sell, but much of it is expensive. So he saw a big basket of some very red, long fruit, the cheapest in the shop. He bought a whole kilogram of the fruit and started 32 it. But after he ate some of it, his eyes and mouth 33 and burned, and his face became red. He coughed and choked, jumping up and down.
  But he still continued to eat the fruit! Some people who were 34 him said, &Those are hot peppers! People use them as a flavor, but only a little bit to put into food for 35. You can't just eat them 36 they're not fruit!& But the stupid master said, &No, I can't stop! I 37 money for them, and now I'll eat them. It's my money!&
  And you think that master was stupid, right? 38, we sometimes do a lot of things like that. We invest money, time or effort in a relationship, business or job. Even though bitter experience tells us it won't work, we still continue just 39 we've invested money, time, effort and love into it. Just like the man who ate the peppers and 40 so much but couldn't stop because he didn't want to waste the money he'd paid.
  31. A. baskets B. peppers C. fruit D. people
  32. A. consuming B. selling C. biting D. eating
  33. A. watered B. water C. watering D. waters
  34. A. dealing with B. looking at C. laughing at D. playing with
  35. A. smell B. taste C. nutrition D. health
  36. A. like B. as C. for D. with
  37. A. spent B. made C. earned D. paid
  38. A. Traditionally B. Hopefully C. Similarly D. Unexpectedly
  39. A. when B. if C. because D. since
  40. A. suffered B. enjoyed C. invested D. complained
  Part Four Dialogue Completion
  Directions:
  In this part, there are ten short incomplete dialogues between two speakers, each followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that most appropriately suits the conversational context and best completes the dialogue. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
  41. A: Hello. Could I speak to Linda?
  B: Speaking.
  A: ____________
  A. How do you do? B. Glad to hear your voice.
  C. Fine, that's good. D. Hi, Linda. This is Burt.
  42. A: Gosh! Our luggage is overweight.
  B: Relax. The customs officer wouldn't be bothered by the extra one or two Pounds .
  A: ______________
  A. Will it bother you? B. You never know.
  C. By all means. D. Do you mind?
  43. A: This chocolate is delicious! Thanks for bringing me here.
  B: _____________. Each time I try a new flavor, it becomes my favorite.
  A. You're welcome B. Forget it
  C. You're all set D. Be yourself
  44. A: Where are you guys going?
  B: To grab a sandwich. ____________
  A: No, I'm not hungry.
  A. Believe it or not. B. Care for joining us?
  C. Hope you'll like it. D. Did that answer your questions?
  45. A: I got another D for my coursework. The teacher must hate me.
  B: Mr. Pierre is really nice. ____________
  A. You tell me B. No wonder
  C. He must like you instead D. You should go talk to him
  46. A: I ordered a book from you last Saturday. It hasn't arrived yet.
  B: Please tell me the serial number on your order sheet. _____________
  A. You won't regret B. Trust me
  C. I'll nm a check for you D. I promise
  47. A: Would you rather watch TV or go for a walk?
  B: The TV program is good today. ____________
  A: Cool. Let's go.
  A. What a pity! B. I hate to leave.
  C. But I need the exercise more. D. You know what I mean.
  48. Traveler: When does the next bus for London leave?
  Ticket officer: There's one leaving in 30 minutes, Gate 2.
  Traveler: _____________
  A. Are you sure? B. I'd like one ticket, please.
  C. OK. I don't want to be late. D. Thanks. Could you wait for me?
  49. A: Could you lay the table for me?
  B: Of course. __________
  A: That's all. Everything else has been done.
  A. It's a pleasure to help. B. I'm free now.
  C. Is that all? D. How should I do it?
  50. A: Here's a gift for you, I bought it in India.
  B: ___________
  A. That's good. How much is it? B. Wow, it is great! Thank you.
  C. It must be very expensive. D. You shouldn't have bought it.
【】【】【】
发贴区 (已有条跟帖,)
英语四级考试QQ交流群:
英语六级考试QQ交流群:
为了方便各位考生在英语四六级考试后能够..
类别:四六级
人气:1141
人气:1237
人气:2040中国工程硕士网欢迎您,为您提供最新GCT院校信息
热门关键词:
2009年GCT真题(外语运用能力)
第四部分 外语运用能力测试(英语)
  (50题,每题2分,满分100分)
  Part One Vocabulary and Structure
  Directions:
  There are ten incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four
  choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark
  your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
  1. He added that the state government has made _________ arrangements for the conference.
  A. accurate B. absolute
  C. adequate D. active
  2. This video may be freely reproduced __________ commercial promotion or sale.
  A. as for B. except for
  C. thanks to D. up to
  3. You ___________ engage in serious debate or discussion unless you are willing to endure attacks.
  A. have better not B. had better not
  C. have better not to D. had better not to
  4. Coffee has been a favorite drink for centuries, _________ the time when we were drinking it strong and black, without sugar.
  A. during B. for
  C. before D. since
  5. By 2050 the world will have about 2 billion people aged over 60, three times _________ today.
  A. as much as B. as that of
  C. as many as D. as those of
  6. Saffron returned to London to __________ her acting career after four years of modeling.
  A. follow B. chase
  C. seek D. pursue
  7. He has fancy dreams about his life, and nothing ever quite ____________ his expectations.
  A. matches B. makes
  C. reaches D. realizes
  8. ___________ my neighbor's kid with his coming exam, I spend an hour working with him every day.
  A. To help B. Helping
  C. Helped D. Having helped
  9. When I worked as a bank clerk, I had the opportunity to meet a rich ___________ of people: students, soldiers and factory workers.
  A. diversity B. kind
  C. range D. variety
  10. Cuts in funding have meant that equipment has been kept in service long after it _____________ replaced.
  A. should have been B. would have been
  C. could have been D. might have been
  Part Two Reading Comprehension
  Directions:
  In this part there are three passages and one chart, each followed by five questions or unfinished statements. For each of them, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
  Questions 11-15 are based on the following passage:
  Happy hours are not necessarily happy, nor do they last for an hour, but they have become a part of the ritual of the office worker and businessman.
  On weekdays in pubs and bars throughout America, there is the late afternoon happy hour. The time may vary from place to place, but usually it is held from four to seven. After the workday is finished, office workers in large cities and small towns take a relaxing pause and do not go directly home. They head off instead for the nearest bar or pub to be with friends, co-workers and colleagues. Within minutes the pub is filled to capacity with businessmen and secretaries, office clerks and stock executives. They gather around the bar like birds around a fountain or forest animals around a watering hole and chat about the trifles of office life or matters more personal. This is their desert garden, the place to relieve the day's stress at the office.
  At these happy hours, social binding occurs between people who share the same workplace or similar professions. They may chat about each other or talk about a planned project that has yet to meet a deadline. In this sense, these places become extensions of the workplace and constitute a good portion of one's social life.
  11. For office workers and businessmen the happy hour is their ____________.
  A. professional requirement B. regular practice
  C. refreshing break D. unpaid work
  12. Happy hours are held because office workers need to ___________.
  A. have a good rest after work B. stay away from household work
  C. make new friends D. celebrate their achievements
  13. The phrase &filled to capacity& in Paragraph 2 means the pub is _____________.
  A. too crowded B. rather entertaining
  C. completely full D. very noisy
  14. Happy hours contribute to office workers' __________.
  A. cooperation in society B. promotion in their company
  C. connection in society D. loyalty to their company
  15. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
  A. The happy hour is a social gathering in America.
  B. People avoid talking about work at happy hours.
  C. Happy hours are held on weekdays only.
  D. People exchange work experiences at happy hours.
  Questions 16-20 are based on the following passage:
  Lazy? Shy? Live in a cave? Those might not be positive attributes for the average human, but they sure are good for animals trying to survive in a changing environment. According to a new study, beasts that hibernate (冬眠) or crawl into holes are less likely to be listed as endangered than those that don't.
  Following up a previous study on extinct animals, which showed that species exhibiting &sleep or hide& (SLOH) behaviors did better than others, the researchers wanted to see if the same was true of modern creatures like moles and bears. To find out if our more timid animals have a leg up in the survival game, researchers made a master list of 443 sleep-or-hide mammals.
  With their list in hand, the team compared their 443 to the &red list& of endangered species published by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. As suspected, a sleepy or hiding animal was less likely to be on the red list than a regular animal, and a red-list animal was also less likely to be a SLOH-er.
  This makes a lot of sense, as animals that hide away in a cave or a tree hole are protected by their physical shelters from a variable environment outside, while hibernators enjoy a flexible metabolism (新陈代谢) that can help them adapt to a changing climate.
  16. On the list of extinct animals studied, there were _____________.
  A. fewer SLOH-ers than regular animals
  B. more SLOH-ers than expected
  C. as many SLOH-ers as regular animals
  D. hardly any SLOH-ers
  17. The phrase &a leg up& in Paragraph 2 probably means __________.
  A. an instinct B. an advantage
  C. a fight D. a chance
  18. The study of modem creatures ___________.
  A. is unrelated to the study of extinct animals
  B. finds evidence missing in the study of extinct animals
  C. has findings similar to those of the study of extinct animals
  D. reveals a different pattern from the study of extinct animals
  19. According to the passage, red-list animals are more likely to ____________.
  A. be lazy B. be timid
  C. live long D. sleep less
  20. In the last paragraph the author ____________.
  A. compares the behaviors of sleepers and hiders
  B. offers an explanation for the survival of sleepers and hiders
  C. analyzes how a changing environment affects SLOH-ers
  D. emphasizes what can be learned from SLOH-ers
  Questions 21-25 are based on the following passage:
  In computing, passwords are commonly used to limit access to official users. Yet the widespread use of passwords has serious drawbacks. Office workers now have to remember an average of twelve system passwords. In theory they should use different passwords for each site, but in reality these would be impossible to remember, so many people use the same password for all.
  An additional problem is that the majority use simple words such as &hello&, or names of family members, instead of more secure combinations of numbers and letters, such as 6ANV76Y. This permits computer hackers to download dictionaries and quickly find the word that allows them access.
  When system users forget their passwords there is extra expense in supplying new ones, while if people are forced to change passwords frequently they often write them down, making systems even less secure. Therefore, it is clear that the idea of passwords, which have been used as security devices for thousands of years, may need rethinking.
  One possible alternative has been developed by the American firm Real User, and is called &passfaces&. In order to access the system a worker has to select a series of photographs of faces from a randomly (随机地) generated sequence. If the pictures are selected in the correct order, access is granted. This concept depends on the human ability to recognize and remember a huge number of different faces, and the advantage is that such a sequence cannot be told to anyone or written down, so is more secure. It is claimed that the picture sequence, which used photographs of university students, is easier to remember than passwords, and it has now been adopted for the United States Senate.
  21. What is the disadvantage of passwords as mentioned in Paragraph 1 ?
  A. They do not ensure security.
  B. They are difficult to remember.
  C. They have to be changed frequently.
  D. They limit computer accessibility.
  22. One can make a password safer by _____________.
  A. inserting pictures between numbers
  B. avoiding the use of letters altogether
  C. setting up a firewall against computer hackers
  D. using complicated combinations of numbers and letters
  23. &Passfaces& is a method to get access to a system through ___________.
  A. remembering a large number of faces
  B. selecting photographs of faces one likes
  C. recognizing a sequence of face pictures
  D. showing one's face in front of the computer
  24. One advantage of &Passfaces& over a password is that ____________.
  A. it is easier to remember
  B. it is more complicated
  C. it takes less time to log in
  D. it allows one to write less
(责任编辑:云龙)
------分隔线----------------------------
1. 经济学家:中国外汇储备在过去 10 年的快速增长是中国经济成功的标志之一。没有外...
2009年真题答案...
  法律规定,属州县司法管辖的民事案件必须在二十日内审结。然而,因为拖延审判并没...
你可曾想过它的用途,可曾想过变废为宝?...
  .用了比喻的修辞手法,说明了人应该有理想。
  .用了比喻、排比的修辞手法...
  尘埃的吸湿特性可以促进云雾的形成,起到“阳伞效应”。...
版权属中国工程硕士网(GCT-ME)所有,不得拷贝
地址:北京市海淀区中关村大街1号海龙大厦15层太奇教育
中国工程硕士网隶属于北京三民太奇教育科技有限公司
广告电话:010-0-&
投诉电话:010-
电子信箱:
京ICP备号-1

我要回帖