around the clockk struck at...

麻烦老师解答:阅读表达.
&&&& The clock struck(敲)eight,but I was still on the bed.I could hear it was blowing strongly."It must be windy outside,&" I thought.&&I came to the small town a week ago.&&I sold some clothes to a ten and friends.So I tried to meet the manager and ask him to pay for them.I was out of luck(运气不好).He went to London and I had to wait for him here.There was no theatre here but a cinema.The films were all too old.I preferred staying in the small hotel to sitting in the cold cinema.&&Half an hour later,I felt hungry.I had to get up.It was white everywhere and some children were skiing down the hill.On my way to the small restaurant,I saw a boy fall on to a rock (岩石).I ran to him quickly and carried him to a hospital.Soon his parents came here.Now I knew the boy was just the manager's son.He thanked me very much and gave me the money after we had a dinner.&& 1.What was the weather like && ______________________________ 2.What did the writer come to the town for?&& ______________________________ 3.Why did the writer prefer staying in the hotel?&& ______________________________ 4.When did the writer get up?&& ______________________________ 5.Why did the manager thank the writer?&& ______________________________&&
ycycedc5581
1.It was windy .2.He tried to meet the manager and ask him to pay for the clothes .3.Because there was only a cinema and the films were all too old .4.At half past eight 5.Because the writer saved his son’s life .(答案不唯一)
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码The clock struck eleven at night. The whole house was quiet. Everyone was in bed except me. Und..._百度知道
The clock struck eleven at night. The whole house was quiet. Everyone was in bed except me. Und...
Please help me pass the exam tomorrow. He did not have to study so hard when he was a boy . Dad does not agree with me on this, with my head on the desk. "When can I go to bed. I didn’t answer. I do promise to work hard afterwards.小题1, dear. I was too tired to go on. Everyone was in bed except me.I was going to have my examination the next day?
A.He went to a church to pray again
B.He passed the exam by luck
C.He failed in the exam
D.He was punished by his teacher
小题4. "Oh, God:What do you suppose happened to the author. Under the strong light. A few minutes later:When the author was going over his lessons!" I cried.
A.it was too late at night
B.he was very tired
C.his eyes lids were so heavy that he couldn’t keep them open
D.he hadn’t studied hard before the examination
小题3. I did the only thing I could, in fact I dared not, I fell asleep!” We pupils are the most wretched creatures in the world?" I asked myself, Amen, I looked sadly before a huge pile of troublesome stuff they call “books”:Reviewing his lessons didn’t help him because ________. The whole house was quiet, "ten more books to read before I can go to bed.” &nbsp.
B.working in bed
C.outside
D.quietly laughing at him
小题2. I forgot all IMy eyes were heavy. The clock struck 12, all the others in the house were_____ . I was quite hopeless now, so heavy that I could hardly open them." The clock struck one, “Oh. I prayed
The clock struck eleven at night:The best title for the passage would be __________
提问者采纳
I fell asleep可以知道答案:细节题:A
试题分析。小题3,由最后一段最后一句so heavy that I could hardly open them。由第三段最后一句Dad does not agree with me on this:细节题. He did not have to study so hard when he was a boy可以知道答案。小题4,一定要注意体会:推理题. A few minutes later:答题前一定要读懂全文,所以选A小题2:本文是一篇记叙文,由于作者平时不好好学习:D小题3,作者平时不好好学习是贯穿全文的一条重要线索。然后带着问题,记叙了在考试的前一天晚上,因为太困了看着书就睡着了小题1,完成阅读,因为太困了看着书就睡着了”所以选A:A小题2,家人都睡了只有她一人在那复习一直到深夜,由本文的主要意思“在考试的前一天晚上,故选D:细节题,家人都睡了只有她一人在那复习一直到深夜,故选C,由于作者平时不好好学习。由第一段第一行Everyone was in bed except me可以知道答案,再读全文:C小题4
小题1, with my head on the desk。点评,找出答题所需要的依据
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁高一英语 阅读理解练习(七)_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
高一英语 阅读理解练习(七)
上传于||暂无简介
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用1下载券
想免费下载本文?
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩2页未读,继续阅读
你可能喜欢Strike dictionary definition | strike defined
LINK / CITE
ADD TO WORD LIST
nounStrike is a term used in baseball for a pitched ball that is counted against the batter.An example of strike is when a ball that was perfectly pitched is missed by the batter.The definition of a strike is the conviction of an unlawful act or when all the pins are knocked down with a bowling ball.An example of strike is being caught, charged and convicted of armed robbery.verbStrike is defined as to hit, attack, crash into or pierce the skin of someone or something.An example of strike is one person punching another.An example of strike is the military of one country bombing another.An example of strike is a car crashing into a stop sign.
to hit with the hand or a tool, weapon, etc.; specif., hit with force: to strike a nail with a hammer to give (a blow, etc.) to remove, knock off, etc. by or as by a blow: to strike a gun from someone's hand to make or impress by stamping, punching, printing, etc.: to strike coins in a mint to pierce or penetrate: struck in the head by a bullet to harpoon or shoot (a whale) to hook (a fish that has risen to the bait) by a pull on the line to seize (the bait): said of a fish to produce (a tone or chord) by hitting a key or keys or touching a string or strings on a musical instrument to touch the strings of (a musical instrument) to make contact with (a key on a typewriter, computer keyboard, etc.) to signal (a particular time, esp. the moment when a new hour begins): said of a clock: the clock struck twelve to cause to come into violent specif., to cause to hit something: to strike one's head on a beam to thrust (a weapon, implement, etc.) in or into something to bring forcefully into contact: to strike cymbals together to cause to ignite by friction: to strike a match to produce (a light, etc.) by friction to make (an arc) in an arc lamp to come into violent or f hit: the stone struck a head to wound with the fangs: said of snakes to attack to afflict, as with disease, pain, or death to co specif., shine on: light striking the wall to catch or reach (the ear): said of a sound⌂ arrive at: the bus struck the main road to make (a path, trail, etc.) as one goes along to notice, find, or hit upon suddenly or unexpectedly⌂
to discover, as after drilling or prospecting: to strike oil to appear to: the sight that struck my eyes to affect as if by contact, a blow, etc.; specif., to c occur to: an idea struck me to be attractive to or impress (someone's fancy, sense of humor, etc.) to seem to: an idea that strikes me as silly to cause to become suddenly: to be struck dumb to influence, inspire, or overcome suddenly with strong feeling: to be struck with amazement to cause (a feeling, emotion, etc.) arouse: to strike terror to the heart to remove or expunge (from a list, minutes, record, etc.) to make and ratify (a bargain, agreement, truce, etc.) to arrive at by figuring, estimating, etc.: to strike a balance to lower or haul down (a sail, flag, etc.), as in surrendering: sailors formerly struck sails in protest of grievances to take down (a tent, etc.) to abandon (a camp) as by taking down tentsOrigin of strikefrom
strike via obs. sense “to put (tools) out of use” in protest of grievances to refuse to continue to work at (a factory, company, etc.) until certain demands are metObs. to stroke or smooth to level (a measure of grain, sand mold, etc.) by stroking the top with a strickle to assume (an attitude, pose, etc.) to send down or put forth (roots): said of plants, etc. to cause (cuttings, etc.) to take rootObs. to wage (battle)Origin of strikecf.
strikeTheater to dismantle and remove (scenery or a set) to remove the scenery of (a play) to turn (a light) down or offOrigin of strikeMiddle English striken, to proceed, flow, strik from Old English strican, to go, proceed, advance, akin to German streichen ; from Indo-European an unverified form streig- ; from base an unverified form ster-, a streak, strip, to stroke from source Classical Latin stringere, to couch, strigilis, scraper, German strahl, ray to deliver a blow or blows to aim a blow or blows: to strike in vain at a ball to attack: the enemy struck at dawn to take part in a fight or struggle (for some objective) to make a sound or sounds as by being struck: said of a bell, clock, etc. to be announced by the striking of a bell, chime, etc.: said of the time to make sudden collide (against, on, or upon) have an effect to ignite or be capable of igniting, as a match to seize or snatch at a bait: said of a fish to make a darting movement in an attempt to inflict a wound: said of a snake, tiger, etc. to penetrate or pierce (to, through, etc.) to come sudd fall, light, etc. (on or upon): to strike on the right combination to haul down one's flag in token of surrender to refuse to continue to work until cer go on strike take root: said of a plant to begin, advance, or proceed, esp. in a
dart⌂ U.S. Navy to be in training to qualify for (for a specified rating) specif., a military attack: an air strike
strickle a concerted refusal by employees to go on working, in an attempt to force an employer to grant certain demands, as for higher wages, better working conditions, etc. any similar refusal by a person or group of people to do something, undertaken as a form of protest: a prisoner's hunger strike, a buyers' strike the discovery of a rich deposit of oil, coal, minerals, etc.⌂
any sudden success, esp. one bringing large financial return⌂
the pull on the line by a fish seizing or snatching at bait the pull that a fisherman gives the line to engage a baited hook in a fish's mouth the number of coins, medals, etc. struck at one time the part of a timepiece that strikes the metal piece on a doorjamb, into which the latch fits when the door is shutalso strike plate⌂ Baseball a pitched ball that is struck at but missed, declared within the strike zone but not struck at, or hit foul but not caught: the batter is out after three strikes but the third strike cannot be a foul ball unless it was on a bunt attempt or unless it was a foul tip that was caught by the catcher⌂ Bowling the act of knocking down all the pins on the first bowl the score made in this way the trace of a rock bed, fault, or vein on the horizontal, at right angles to the direction of dipstrike Idiomsbe struck with to be attracted to or impressed byhave two strikes against one⌂ Informal to be at a decided disadvantage: from the three strikes permitted a batter in baseball(out) on strike strikingstrike down to cause to fall by a blow, etc.; knock down undo, cancel, etc. to have a disastrous or disabling effect upon: said of illness, etc.strike dumb astonishstrike hands to show agreement by clasping hands to make a bargain, contract, etc.strike home to deliver an effective or crippling blow to achieve a desired or significant effectstrike it rich⌂
to discover a rich deposit of ore, oil, etc. to become rich or successful suddenlystrike off to separate, or remove, by or as by a blow or cut to remove from a record, list, etc.; expunge to printstrike out to make by hitting or striking devise to
hit out to remove from a record, etc.; expunge to be start out⌂ Baseball to be put out as the result of three strikes to put (a batter) out by pitching three strikes⌂ Informal to be a failurestrike up to begin or cause to begin playing, singing, sounding, etc. to begin (a friendship, conversation, etc.) to emboss (metal, decorative figures, etc.)
strike verb
struck , struck or
strick·en , strik·ing, strikes
verb, transitivea.
To hit sharply, as with a hand, fist, weapon, or implement: struc strikes the b struck the nail with a hammer.b.
To inflict (a blow). To penetrate or pierce: was struck in the leg by a bullet.a.
To collide with or crash into: She struck the desk with her knee.b.
To cause to come into violent or forceful contact: She struck her knee against the desk.c.
To thrust (a weapon, for example) in or into someone or something: struck the sword into the dragon.d.
To damage or destroy, as by forceful contact: Lightning struck the tree. To make
assault. To afflict suddenly, as with a disease or impairment: was stricken with cancer. To cause to become suddenly in a certain way: struck him dead.a.
To snap at or seize (a bait).b.
To hook (a fish that has taken the bait) by a pull on the line. To wound by biting. Used especially of a snake. To form by stamping, printing, or punching: strike a medallion. To produce or play by manipulating strings or keys: strike a B strike w, t, and y on the keyboard. To indicate by a percussive or chiming sound: The clock struck nine. To produce as if by playing a musical instrument: The report struck a positive note in the final paragraph.a.
To produce by friction or a blow: struck fire from the flints.b.
To produce flame, light, or a spark by friction: strike a match. To remove or separate suddenly, as with a blow: struck the wa struck off the diseased branch with a machete. To eliminate or expunge: strike a trial witness's answer to a question as inadmissible hearsay.a.
To come upon (a mineral deposit) discover: struck gold.b.
T reach or attain: finally struck the main trail.a.
T shine on: A bright light struck her face.b.
To become audible to: An odd sound struck his ear. To affec impress: The suggestion struck her as foolish. To enter the mind of: The thought struck me from out of the blue.a.
To cause (a strong emotion) to penetrate deeply: struck terror into their hearts.b.
To affect or overcome with strong emotion: She was struck with alarm at the news.21. a.
To make and confirm the terms of (a bargain).b.
To achieve (a balance, for example) by careful consideration.22.
To position one's body in (a pose, for example); assume.23.
Nautical a.
To haul down (a mast or sail).b.
To lower (a flag or sail) in salute or surrender.c.
To lower (cargo) into a hold.24.
To remove (theatrical properties, a set, or technical equipment) from a stage.25.
To dismantle and pack up for departure: strike camp.26.
To undertake a strike against (an employer).27. a.
To level or even (a measure, as of grain).b.
To smooth or shape with a strickle.28. a.
To send (plant roots) out or down.b.
To cause (a plant cutting) to take root. verb, intransitive To deal a blow or blows, as with
hit. To aim a stroke or blow: struck at his opponent but missed. To make contact s collide: A car and a bus struck at the intersection. To begin a military attack: The enemy struck unexpectedly. Sports
To score a goal: The home team struck early in the game. To penetrate or pierce: The cold struck right through our jackets. To take bait: The fish are striking. To dart or shoot suddenly forward in an attempt to inflict a bite or wound. Used of snakes and wild animals. To set out or proceed, especially in a new direction: struck off into the forest. To begin to move: The horse struck into a gallop.a.
To send out roots.b.
To sprout.a.
To indicate the time by making a percussive or chiming sound: The clock struck just as we left.b.
To become indicated by a percussive or chiming sound: The hour has struck. To become ignited. To discover something suddenly or unexpectedly: struck on a new approach. To fall, as light or sound: sunlight st a din struck upon their ears. T make an impression. To engage in a strike against an employer. To interrupt by pushing oneself forward: struck rudely into the conversation. To strive diligently for a specific technical rating in the US Navy. noun An act or gesture of striking. An attack, especially a military air attack on a single group of targets. Sports
A scoring attempt, often resulting in a goal.a.
A cessation of work by employees in support of demands made on their employer, as for higher pay or improved conditions.b.
A temporary stoppage of normal activity undertaken as a protest. A sudden achievement or valuable discovery, as of a precious mineral.a.
The taking of bait by a fish.b.
A pull on a fishing line indicating this. A quantity of coins or medals struck at the same time.a.
A pitched ball that is counted against the batter, typically one that is swung at and missed, fouled off, or judged to have passed through the strike zone.b.
A perfectly thrown ball: The quarterback threw a strike to the receiver. An unfavorable condition, circumstance, a disadvantage: &[They] were trying to sell a movie with several strikes against it as a mass-audience &property&& (John Sayles). Sports
The knocking down of all the pins in bowling with the first bowl of a frame. The taking root and growing of a plant cutting. Geology
The course or bearing of a structural surface, such as an inclined bed, as it intersects a horizontal plane. The removal of all properties, sets, and technical equipment following a final performance, as of a play or concert. A strickle.Phrasal Verbs:
strike down To cause to fall by a blow. To incapacitate or kill: He was struck down by tuberculosis. To invalidate: The court struck down the law as unconstitutional. strike out To begin a course of action. To set out energetically. Baseball a.
To pitch three strikes to (a batter), putting the batter out.b.
To be struck out. To fail in an endeavor. strike upa.
To start to play music or sing: The band suddenly struck up.b.
To start to play or sing (something): The orchestra struck up a waltz.c.
To cause to start to play or sing: Strike up the band! To initiate or begin: strike up a conversation.Origin of strike Middle English striken, from Old English str&can, to stroke; see
streig- in Indo-European roots. Our Living Language
The central role that baseball has played in American culture is known to all, but is particularly evident in the abundance of baseball expressions applied to circumstances outside the sport. When people say that they have struck out in an endeavor, they are using one such expression. We routinely speak of ballpark figures or estimates, of some unexpected quirk of fate or tricky question on an exam being a curve ball, of minor-league or bush-league players in a field or business, who might one day enter the big leagues. If we can't go to lunch with a person who invites us, we take a rain check. We can go to bat or pinch-hit for a friend. We can be off base about something or so disconnected we are out in left field. When we cooperate we are playing ball, and when we get serious or even ruthless about something, we are playing hardball. Some unfortunate people are said to have been born with two strikes against them if bad things come their way right off the bat. The list could go on and on, but that would only be running up the score.
(third-person singular simple present strikes, present participle striking, simple past struck, past participle struck or stricken)(sometimes with out or through) T to
or .Please strike the last sentence. To .Strike the door sharply with your foot and see if it comes loose.A bullet struck him.The ship struck a reef. To give, to impel, to cast. T to cause to enter or penetrate.A tree strikes its roots deep. T to smite.(intransitive) To deliver a
to give blows.A hammer strikes against the bell of a clock.T to act by appulse.(intransitive) To act suddenly, especially in a violent or criminal way.The bank robber struck on the 2nd and 5th of May.(figuratively) To impinge upon.The first thing to strike my eye was a beautiful pagoda.Tragedy struck when his brother was killed in a bush fire.(intransitive) To stop working to achieve better working conditions.The workers struck for a week before the new contract went through. To ,
(to).Golf has always struck me as a waste of time. To , as by .We will strike a medal in your honour. To take down, especially in the following contexts:(nautical) To
(a flag, mast, etc.)(nautical, by extension) T to signal a
by hauling down the colours.The frigate has struck, sir! We've beaten them, the lily-livers!To dismantle and take away ( etc.).(intransitive, dated) To run to be stranded.The ship struck in the night. To cause or produce by a stroke, or suddenly, as by a stroke.to strike a light To cause to
by .to strike a match To cause to sound
to indicate or notify by audible strokes. Of a , to
(an hour of the day), usually by one or more sounds.The clock struck twelve.The drums strike up a march.(intransitive) To sound by percussion, with blows, or as if with blows. To
an .The news struck a sombre chord.(sports) To
a .(intransitive) To set off on a
or .They struck off along the river.(intransitive) To pass with a qu to penetrate.(dated) T
with into.to st to strike into a run(intransitive) To become a said of the
of .To make a sudden impression upon, to affect with some strong emotion.to strike th to strike somebody with wonder, alarm, dread, or horrorTo affect by a sudden impression or impulse.The proposed plan strikes me favourably.May the Lord strike down those sinners!I was struck dumb with astonishment.To make and ratify.to strike a bargainTo
(a measure of grain, salt, etc.) with a straight instrument, scraping off what is above the level of the top.(masonry) To cut off (a mortar joint, etc.)
with the face of the wall, or inward at a slight angle.To hit upon, or light upon, suddenly.My eye struck a strange word in the text.They soon struck the trail.(slang, archaic) T to make a demand upon.He struck a friend for five dollars.To
into a , as a .To st to wave. Custom influences which participle is used in set phrases and specific contexts, but in general, the past participle "struck" is more common when speaking of intransitive actions (e.g. He'd struck it rich, or He's struck out on his own, etc.), while "stricken" is more commonly used for transitive actions, especially constructions where the subject is the object of an implied action (e.g. The Court has stricken the statement from the record, or The city was stricken with disease, etc.)
(plural strikes)(baseball) a status resulting from a
swinging and missing a , or not swinging at a pitch in the strike zone, or hitting a foul ball that is not caught(bowling) the act of knocking down all ten pins in on the first roll of a a work stoppage (otherwise concerted stoppage of an activity) as a form of protesta blow or application of physical force against something(finance) In an
contract, the price at which the holder buys or sells if they choose to
the option.An old English measure of corn equal to the bushel.(cricket) the status of being the
is bowling atthe primary face of a hammer, opposite the (geology) the compass direction of the line of intersection between a rock layer and the surface of the Earth.An instrument with a straight edge for levelling a measure of grain, salt, etc., scraping off what is above
a .An iron
or .(ironworking) A 's .The
of something.Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing. (work stoppage):
From Middle English , from Old English str?<<can, from
*str?<<kan?…. Cognate with Dutch strijken, German streichen and streiken, Danish stryge, Icelandic str? 1/2 kja, str? 1/2 kva.strike - Legal Definitionn An organized stoppage of labor by employees in order
to compel the employer to meet their demands.
The dismissal of a prospective
juror from the panel, whether for cause or peremptorily.
A negative mark on one’s record (as
in, three strikes and you’re out).
Sentence Examples
Dulce turned, and for a moment Carmen thought she might strike her.I must be sure before I strike and not leave the psychic one behind to torment me.While I followed them shopping I never imagined I'd be allotted the opportunity accomplish a daring strike so successfully and leave without a trace!His reminded her of a cobra about to strike, though he'd pulled the gun up to his shoulder.He saw his sister drop after the strike of a sword.
How would you define strike? Add your definition here.
Please enable JavaScript to view the
Also Mentioned In
Words near strike in the dictionary
Follow YourDictionary
Join YourDictionary today
Create and save customized word lists. Sign up today and start improving your vocabulary!
Please set a username for yourself.
People will see it as Author Name with your public word lists.

我要回帖

更多关于 the clock struck 的文章

随机推荐