what do you thinkwould you do i...

It’s a fun game, isn’t it? Imagining you have won a million dollar windfall and trying to figure out what you would do with it. Or, a different scenario: you work your butt off for 40 years, saving and investing wisely, and eventually get to a net worth of a million dollars. Phew. Now what?
A Million Dollars Isn’t That Much!
I think we’re all very aware that a million dollars isn’t what it used to be. In either scenario, whether you have worked and accumulated a million dollars, or whether you’ve received a windfall, you absolutely cannot go crazy and start spending uncontrollably. Let’s take a look at what you CAN do with a million dollars.
Invest for Income
This applies to the second scenario – the one where your net worth, after years of hard work, is a million dollars. Assuming your investment mix can generate an annual taxable income of 8%, a million dollars can generate an admittedly nice income of $80,000 per year – for many this is all it takes to comfortably retire, and for those of us living in more expensive areas, in major cities along the US coast, it would still be a major boost to whatever other retirement income we might have.
Spend Wisely
If you get a million dollar windfall at some earlier point in your life, when you still have many working years ahead of you, I would advise against viewing this as your ticket out of the workforce. As we saw above, this kind of money generates a nice income – but not necessarily enough to retire on, especially if you’re young and still need to raise kids. In addition, if you start using all the income that your nest egg generates at an early age rather than reinvest, your money will be gradually eroded by inflation.
What Would I Do?
The things on my own list if I ever received a sudden windfall include non-exciting items such as paying off any credit card debt, student loans and home mortgage. I would also reserve a small percentage (anywhere from 1%-5% or up to $50,000) for helping close family members such as parents and siblings with repaying their own debts and give another 1%-5%
to charity.
No Splurging At All? You’re So Boring
I actually do not rule out splurging a little. It’s normal to want to splurge when you receive an unexpected, large sum of money. I guess in my case I would allocate 1%-5% for splurging – this could go towards buying a new car, renovating the house or buying new furniture or art. Whatever floats your boat, by all means splurge a little on it, but do limit that splurge. It’s very easy to waste away a million dollars.
And the Rest?
So I repaid debt, gave some to family and some to charity, even splurged a little. Let’s assume I was left with half a million dollars. Now what? Now I invest, and I treat this as any other investment, creating a mix of stocks, bonds, cash, commodities and REITs – Whatever
I’m generally comfortable with. Now I sit back, watch the money grow, rebalance once a year and resist the urge to do anything else with that money, except for enjoying the extra security I now have.
What would YOU do with a million bucks?
Editor's Note: I've begun tracking my assets through . I'm only using the free service so far and I no longer have to log into all the different accounts just to pull the numbers. And with a single screen showing all my assets, it's much easier to figure out when I need to rebalance or where I stand on the path to financial independence.
They developed this pretty nifty 401K Fee Analyzer that will show you whether you are paying too much in fees, as well as an Investment Checkup tool to help determine whether your asset allocation fits your risk profile. The platform literally takes a few minutes to sign up and . For those trying to build wealth, Personal Capital is worth a look.
Related Posts:
Subscribe (and Get a Mini-Course Too!)
. A 7-part mini course to help you spend less and be happy will be sent to you when you subscribe, and you will also get an ever-expanding How to Save Money on Everything ebook. Alternatively, stay engaged in our discussions via our
(Don't worry about spam, because we hate it as much as you do!)
Money Saving Tip:
An incredibly effective way to save more is to reduce your monthly Internet and TV costs.
Leave a Comment
Free Signup to Get a free ebook on How to Save Money on Everything! Constantly expanding, it will be the biggest money saving ebook available, and it's FREE! &
(I hate spam and promise that your information will never be shared.)
Other Topics
Disclaimer
Information presented on Personal Finance Blog by MoneyNing is intended for informational purposes only and should not be mistaken for financial advice.
While all attempts are made to present accurate information, it may not be appropriate for your specific circumstances.
Any offers and rates shown on this site can change without notice and may contain information that is no longer valid.
For further validation, always visit the official site for the most up-to-date information.
This site may receive compensation from companies to offer an opinion about a product or service.
We strive to provide honest opinions and findings, but the information is based on individual circumstances and your specific experiences may vary.
We also treat your privacy seriously.
Please take some time to understand our full policies and disclaimers .谁知道onedirection的那首歌里有一句歌词是girl what would you do.好像是莉莉唱的_百度知道
谁知道onedirection的那首歌里有一句歌词是girl what would you do.好像是莉莉唱的
谁知道onedirection的那首歌里有一句歌词是girl what would you do.好像是莉莉唱的
提问者采纳
I wanna be last, yeah,Let me be your last first kiss, tell me would it change, yeah, let me be your last.Ill run away?Would you wanna stayIf I were to say.Maybe this is a mistake.Is it meLast First Kiss[Liam,Let me be your last first kiss:]Your last first kiss![All:]Girl.I wanna be first.Yeah, yeah? Yeah, yeah,Baby?Would you wanna stayIf I were to say, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah? Yeah?.[All,And if youOnly knew? Yeah.Are you thinking of me, I,Your last first kiss.[Harry:]I wanna be last.I&#39.[Niall,Baby:]I wanna be last?I&#39.Is it me, oh:]Baby, what would you do,Let me be your last first kiss.And if youOnly knew:]I wanna be last.:]Ooh[All,Baby, yeah, yeah.[Louis?..Wanna knowm a fool, yeah,m afraid you&#39.If I tell you what I&#39, what would you do?;m just a fool.I wanna be last,Baby, let me be your last., let me be your? Yeah, ohGirl,I wanna be first, I wanna knowWhat you think When you&#39, yeah,Your last first kiss.I wanna be last:]I wanna be last,Your last first kiss,Your last first kiss, let me be your, what would you do:]Maybe I Just gotta wait, oh, yeah...Baby, I&#39,Baby.Baby.And if youOnly knew.We&#39,Wanna be the first to take it all the way like this,Your last first kiss (your last first kiss)Your last first kiss (your last first kiss)[Liam. Oh,Baby.I wanna be first,Wanna be the first to take it all the way like this.Baby, let me be your last.[Harry.[Zve been friends Now for a while.Are you thinking of me, let me be your last,Wanna be the first to take it all the way like this?Would you wanna stayIf I were to say, let me be your, oh.[Ave wanted to tell you:]Girl:]Baby
提问者评价
谢谢啦。这几天一直在找这首歌,几乎听完了所有歌,还真没听这首。
来自团队:
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
一句歌词的相关知识
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁求中间有一段:if i say i want you/if i say i need you/if i say i love you/what would you do的英文歌_百度知道
求中间有一段:if i say i want you/if i say i need you/if i say i love you/what would you do的英文歌
是一个女歌手的
提问者采纳
, but now I knowNow It wanna forgetDon'END&t wanna move onIf I like it as it isWanna keep it like thisJust let me lie close to youDon&#39, it&#39.(What would you do)If I said I want youIf I said I need you(If I said I need you)If I said I love youWhat would you do&s trueFor a while, let this goAnd I thought I would...foreverJust let me stay here with youI don't wanna leaveAnd I thought I could.lene marlin 的WHAT IFWhat if I don't want anyone but youBt wanna let you goWhat if I don&#39
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
其他1条回答
北欧女精灵 Lene Marlin / What if~
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁what would you do和what would you have done有什么不同?
唯爱小侽92Ze
what would you do 陈述句 you would do something -----would do表示将来,会,意愿,打算 做什么事,有时候would 是will 的过去式,即过去将来时表示曾经打算、曾经将要干某事所以这个问句可以翻译为:你会做什么/你将干什么/你打算干什么/你以前打算干什么what would you have done?陈述句 you would have done something-----would have done是一种虚拟语气,表示对过去事情的假设,本来做什么If I hadn't play games,I would have finished my homework.如果我没有玩游戏,我本来已经完成我的作业了.(事实是我没有)I don't blame you.I would have done the same.我不怪你,我也会这样做的.所以这个问句可以翻译为:(如果是你遇上的这事---注:此事已成往事)你会做什么?/(如果--过去--怎么样)你会做什么?
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
what would you do应该是过去将来时;what would you have done是过去将来完成时
意思分别是你想要做什么和你本想要做什么
what would you do 是将来你打算做什么what would have done 是将来一定会做成什么谢谢
扫描下载二维码what would i do without you什么意思?
血刺怪怪842
没有你我该怎么办
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
离开你我将如何是好?
失去你,我该怎么办