try to rememberr to honour ...

Please activate cookies in order to turn autoplay off
Today's paper
Wednesday 26 March
Arise Sir Beefy: Ian Botham gets knighted at Buckingham Palace in 2007. Photograph: Rex Features
. Prime minister Tony Abbott announced the move on Tuesday afternoon and immediately conferred the honour on the governor general, Quentin Bryce, and her successor, Peter Cosgrove.
In their rush to employ the seldom-used “governors general” plural, reporters initially thought Abbott
and was referring to Bryce as “a classy dame”, but it soon became apparent he was updating the honours system.
The prime minister said he did not believe the current honours were enough to acknowledge truly exceptional achievements.
&That is for eminent achievement. This is for pre-eminent achievement,& said Abbott, grinning widely at his successful use of a prefix.
The prime minister did not comment on whether he would use “the big sword” when awarding future knighthoods.
“It’s good to see the government has a plan for knights and dames – where’s their plan for jobs?” said opposition leader Bill Shorten, before yelling “zing” and insisting that deputy opposition leader Tanya Plibersek to “give him some skin”.
Obviously this is satire, though: Shorten doesn’t have that much personality.
So let’s just cut to the chase here, wimps. No one wants to be a
when they could be a knight. This is Abbott’s new, more masculine Australia and “companion” just sounds girly. Being a knight, on the other hand, is old school. I’m pretty sure you get a suit of armour.*
Like smoking cigarettes or riding a motorcycle, being a knight is cool, even if it is dumb.
Abbott said that up to four of the honours would be granted each year, which unfortunately means no one will be eligible until 2018, when the government finishes knighting every member of Australia’s 2012/13 .
The PM said the new honour would be for those who have “accepted public office rather than sought it and who can never by virtue of that office ever entirely return to private life.&
That, then, should rule out Abbott’s mentor and former prime minister John Howard who sought public office a cool 14 times. It wouldn’t be like Abbott to say one thing (for example, that he ) and then do the complete opposite three months later.
So as Dame Quentin and the soon to be Sir Peter amble off, who is in for a gong at our next round of knighthoods? With the power to award the honour resting solely in the hands of the PM, horrifying thoughts of Sir Piers Akerman and Sir Andrew Bolt come to mind (you might laugh, but ).
But no, there is one candidate who stands head and shoulders above the rest. A man whose services to Australian sport are unequalled. A man who, because of those services, has never been able to “return to private life”. A man who can no longer muse to his
in private, nor
without it making the papers. A man who will unite Australia behind the new honours system.
Arise, Sir Warney.
*Actually I&m 90% sure you don&t.
Our editors' picks for the day's top news and commentary delivered to your inbox each morning.
Send to a friend
Sender's name
Recipient's email address
Your IP address will be logged
Short link for this page:
Contact us
Report errors or inaccuracies:
Letters for publication should be sent to:
If you need help using the site:
Call the main Guardian and Observer switchboard: +44 (0)20
Australia news
More on this story
'Know you that We do, by these Presents, declare Our pleasure ... ' states declaration signed by the Queen
The public response was ridicule rather than outrage, showing that, while the prime minister hasn't moved on, the rest of us have
Today's best video
A baby rhino is fed by its handlers in Victoria's Werribee Open Range zoo. The calf is in intensive care after picking up an infection from her mother
Indonesia resumes a sea and aerial search for the AirAsia plane
Snowfall in Chambéry, France, causes severe delays for drivers near ski resorts
Man City manager says Burnley winger's goal was offside
On Comment is free
by Carol Ann Duffy
by Richard McGuire
by Neil MacGregor
by Andrew Gant
by David Gentleman
I grew up fishing in Batemans Marine Park, but now I believe it needs the highest level of protection. Legalising shore-fishing compromises the chance to maintain a true sanctuary
Scott Morrison, regarded as a heavy hitter in his previous portfolio of immigration, has the opportunity to change tack on social services. Here are eight changes he could make
Ben Jennings:
George Monbiot:
Ben Jennings:
Sponsored feature
Find the latest jobs in your sector:1,2,3,4,5,6…. having 6 teeth for about 3 months already.
Enjoying her makeups — I’m considering putting her in washroom for her meals. &&
Jealous of the peacock and insisting of pulling the peacock out… =.=
Mechanic in action! Hope she’s not gonna be as aggressive and adventurous as her daddy…. I still want to have my things all in one piece!
Took some photos before GongGong PoPo and Andy Shushu & Jenny ChehCheh leaving for their homes.
Too bad GuGu had to attend class so missed out the shootings.
Pretty hard to get me looking at the camera nowadays……
Getting frustrated…
With PoPo~
Audrey leaning on Andy ShuShu and thus BuBu wasn’t happy? :p
Category ,
It’s my first birthday and as the older generations said, one should put on shoes on this special day~! I suppose this indicates that I’m stepping into toddler stage! Very soon I’m no more baby Audrey!
Gong Gong and Po Po purposely flew over from Sibu to celebrate my First birthday!
Andy shu shu and Jenny ChehCheh also came all the way from KL! And thanks to everyone for the lovely wishes, prayers, gifts and angpao! I’m a lucky one to have all the love around me~! Thank God too for giving me a happy family!
We also went to BeiJing Restaurant for a nice feast in conjunction of PoPo’s birthday~ Happy birthday PoPo~
Category ,
Anyone wanna marry me? I’m already in my gown~
Here I come!
Walking down the aisle~ I’m the winner of the baby contest in the house!
Category ,
On this day in 2011, I walked into the operation room, totally helpless and shivering over what’s going to happen next. The fear within me almost made me took a run back home. I’ve always heard mothers are bravest creatures in the world, especially when it comes to giving birth. Gosh, I’m such a coward.
Being a mom is definitely sth challenging to me. I’ve never learnt or interested to know how to handle a kid, or a baby. Nevertheless, I’d say I’ve made my way throughout the year in coping with my new role. What I’m proud of being a mom:
I breastfeed my gal for a year. Despite the first few days of formula feeding in hospital, she’s very determined on direct breastfeeding. She knows exactly what she wants. I enjoyed the journey and for bonus, I’ve not been having my menstrual until now. If you do not count the one after delivery as one, then I’m free from menstrual for almost 22 months. Yeah~! I can dance at the top of the world for that.
Ok.. I can’t think of other things that I’m proud of. But I’m a proud mama, cos Audrey’s the cutest baby ever — Of course, she’s the apple of my eye… Until the next one’s coming out, she’s the one and only super star in the house.
Alvin is deserving a great honour as super dad. He can do all the houseworks and yummy cookings and make all funny sounds and funny things with Audrey, he’s the guardian of the family. As Chinese say, daughters are daddy’s lover in their former life, so Audrey’s definitely gonna be daddy’s gal. Despite being lover for Audrey, he’s been my greatest support in all my doings.
On this very first birthday of Audrey’s, I made her 3 wishes for her.
To be safe, healthy and joy. 平安、健康、喜乐。 This is the 3 main things I’ve always been putting in my prayers for every family members.
Safety comes first, as I really have no confident in our society, and accidents can happen anywhere. Health is really sth that one would ask for in times of sickness. Mommy has done my part in passing all my antibodies and nutrients to you. Even though life may be tough, don’t forget to smile. Your smile melts the world.
Audrey, mommy wish you could grow into a kind hearted, loving and brave girl. You may fall, you may cry, you can always come back to PaPa MaMa. Even when we’re not around, I hope those days that we spent together may pull you over the hardships.
We do not ask for a brilliant genius out of you and I hope we can keep this in heart. If you’re to welcome a little sister or brother in future, I hope we can love both of you equally and not to compare between the two of you.
You’re just hitting One and I’ve been playing lots of scenes in mind already. How could I let go of you when you no longer need dad and mom, wanting to explore the world on your own. Ppl had always said the father would be the one hating the son in law who takes away his lovely gal, but I guess I’m in the line too. Who’s the lucky man to have you? He must be some real man who loves you more than us. Watching you taking out your steps can put me in tears. My gal has gone this far.
Happy Birthday my gal. Mom and dad love you.
Category , ,
It was 929. I was browsing FB on bed. Then Alvin came in, I was still maintaining the same pose. Then I smell something fishy.
With Audrey in one arm, he’s holding a huge bouquet in another! Wow, I’ve never expected anything. Usually we would go out for nice meals or a short vacation. With Audrey now of course it’s not convenient to go on vacation as we like. This is a great surprise!
Thank you my dear, for being so lovely. Thanks for the wonderful 5 years and I believe we have a lot more 5 years to come. Let’s make it a 50 years.
Category ,
I’m getting more and more active and mastering more skills nowadays! Besides helping mommy to dig out everything in drawers and put them back occasionally, I’m also learning to walk little by little!
Mommy carry me please~~~~~~~~~~
Blurry look ^^
OOoooooooops!
I think I can read!
Happy Prisoner~
Peek-a-boo!
No, I didn’t steal mommy’s lipstick!
Shopping like a boss!
This August I’m back to daddy mommy’s hometown visiting GongGong PoPo, WaiPo WaiGong, GuGu, DuaiYi, Uncle Paul and Elly Cheh Cheh~! PoPo was so happy to feed me her porridge cooked with love!
Yummy porridge!
Daddy said for safety purpose, it’s better for me to wear a helmet!
But daddy, isn’t this a little too heavy for me?
Shh, I’m on an important call!
Everyone is asking where’s my hair? I’m wondering too!
Category ,
Select Month
November 2012 &(1)
October 2012 &(5)
September 2012 &(2)
August 2012 &(3)
July 2012 &(5)
June 2012 &(6)
May 2012 &(10)
April 2012 &(6)
March 2012 &(5)
February 2012 &(3)
January 2012 &(1)
December 2011 &(4)
November 2011 &(2)
October 2011 &(9)
September 2011 &(5)
August 2011 &(3)
July 2011 &(3)
June 2011 &(1)
March 2011 &(1)
February 2011 &(2)
January 2011 &(6)
December 2010 &(17)
November 2010 &(4)
October 2010 &(3)
September 2010 &(13)
August 2010 &(18)
July 2010 &(10)
June 2010 &(15)
May 2010 &(13)
April 2010 &(13)
March 2010 &(13)
February 2010 &(16)
January 2010 &(7)
December 2009 &(21)
November 2009 &(14)
October 2009 &(18)
September 2009 &(25)
August 2009 &(14)
July 2009 &(13)
June 2009 &(20)
May 2009 &(7)
April 2009 &(6)
March 2009 &(14)
February 2009 &(10)
January 2009 &(20)
December 2008 &(13)
November 2008 &(6)
October 2008 &(11)
September 2008 &(7)
August 2008 &(7)
July 2008 &(11)
June 2008 &(18)
May 2008 &(13)
April 2008 &(15)
March 2008 &(18)
February 2008 &(15)
January 2008 &(26)
December 2007 &(32)
November 2007 &(21)
October 2007 &(15)
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Close preview
Loading...Britain is honour bound to speak up for Hong Kong - FT.com
Email address
Remember me on this computer
"Remember me" uses a cookie. View our .
By Chris Patten
You have viewed your allowance of free articles. If you wish to view more, click the button below.
SHARE THIS QUOTE

我要回帖

更多关于 try to remember 的文章

随机推荐