she gave him a c___ look.&quot quot;Are you really sure?&quot quot;She demanded

She Matters: A Life in Friendships by Susanna Sonnenberg | 6 | Hardcover | Barnes & Noble
She Matters: A Life in Friendships
Add to List +
Please enter a list name
You entered an invalid character [!@#$%^&*()_+-{};"]. Please enter a valid alpha numeric character.
Please name your Essential List:
New Essential List
You may add a description of the list:
Please enter a list name
You entered an invalid character [!@#$%^&*()_+-{};"]. Please enter a valid alpha numeric character.
Please name your Wish List:
New Wish List
You may add a description of the list:
(Save 31%)$24.00 List Price
Add to Bag
Other sellers (Hardcover)
Available on NOOK devices and apps
NOOK Devices
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 10.1
NOOK HD Tablet
NOOK HD+ Tablet
NOOK eReaders
NOOK Color
NOOK Tablet
Tablet/Phone
NOOK for Windows 8 Tablet
NOOK for iOS
NOOK for Android
NOOK Kids for iPad
NOOK for Windows 8
NOOK for PC
NOOK for Mac
NOOK for Web
Want a NOOK?
All Available Formats & Editions
NOOK Book (1)
Paperback (1)
Hardcover (2)
The New York Times called Susanna Sonnenberg “immensely gifted,” and Vogue, “scrupulously unsentimental.” Entertainment Weekly described Sonnenberg’s Her Last Death as “a bracing memoir about growing up rich and glamorous with a savagely inappropriate mother.” Now, Sonnenberg, with her unflinching eye and uncanny wisdom, has written a compulsively readable book about female friendship.
T he best friend who broke up with you. The older girl at school you worshipped. The beloved college friend who changed. The friend you slept with. The friend who betrayed you. The friend you betrayed. Companions in travel, in discovery, in motherhood, the mentor, the model, the rescuer, the guide, the little sister. These have been the women in Susanna Sonnenberg’s life, friends tender, dominant, and crucial after her reckless mother gave her early lessons in womanhood.
Searing and superbly written, Sonnenberg’s She Matters: A Life in Friendships illuminates the friendships that have influenced, nourished, inspired, and haunted her—and sometimes torn her apart. Each has its own lessons that Sonnenberg seeks to understand. Her method is investig her result, fearlessly observed portraits of friendships that will inspire all readers to consider the complexities of their own relationships. This electric book is testimony to the emotional significance of the intense bonds between women, whether shattered, shaky, or unbreakable.
Editorial Reviews
The New York Times Book Review
- Susan Chira
Susanna Sonnenberg captures the fervor of these friendships, their dark undercurrents as well as their sustaining generosity…Sonnenberg demonstrates a self-awareness that is clearly hard-earned, one of the many qualities she has absorbed from her eclectic and generous friends. In the end, that determination to learn from the women who are close to her, to investigate where she failed and where they did, is what gives the book such resonance. She Matters lingers with you, inviting you to construct a patchwork quilt of your own life and salute the many women who helped you along the way.
Publishers WeeklyA tribute to her lifelong “fortress of friendship,” Sonnenberg (Her Last Death) guides a tour through the female friendships that have inspired her, broken her, and brought her back to life. Dependent on friends for the nurturing and solace missing from her relationship with her mother and sister, women come and go throughout the years to provide varied roles in her life. Some were friendships built out of mutual need, circumstance, or an interest that eventually faded to a faint glimmer where there was once fire. Others are fleeting moments in which two lives touch, that moment with unforgettable significance as when an acquaintance from college becomes a sudden pillar in a time of tragedy. Loneliness and the dire need to belong may also fuel a union, as Sonnenberg professes: “That spring day I felt dangerously unloved. I needed to be included anywhere, at some table.” Yet finding it “easier to be the hero... than to wait for rescue, afraid of inevitable disappointment,” it was difficult for her to trust help from anyone, “nervous as usual about uneven power, tallied debts.” Sonnenberg’s strikingly honest depictions of tumultuous female alliances and confessions about friendships are both
her depth of reflection and incandescent prose marks this exceptional memoir as a must-read to share among friends. Agent: Eric Simonoff, WME. (Jan.)
The New York Times Book Review
- Susan Chira
“She Matters lingers with you, inviting you to construct a patchwork quilt of your own life and salute the many women who helped you along the way.”
The Boston Globe
- Emily Rapp
“Sonnenberg is a gifted literary stylist with a stunning ability to write sentences that read like beautiful traps…She Matters artfully reveals the depth and gravity of love between women as they make sense of the changing and often treacherous emotional and logistical terrain of their forward-moving lives.”
- Kelly Blewett
“Susanna Sonnenberg’s She Matters is a cause for celebration…The book’s honesty, eloquence, laugh-out-loud humor, finely wrought prose and magnificent scope will keep readers eagerly turning the pages…For readers who welcome a complex perspective beautifully rendered in writing, this book is not to be missed.”
Parade“Susanna Sonnenberg’s book reminds us how profoundly we’re affected by our friendships….You’ll want to share this with, yes, a friend.”
People (4-star review)
- Meredith Maran
“In her stunning second memoir, a collection of linked essays, Sonnenberg finds universal truths in her experiences of female friendship.”
NPR's "All Things Considered"
- Meg Wolitzer
“Sonnenberg, who’s aware of her passions and ambivalences, and doesn’t hide from them, made me think about what a friendship is, anyway…She’s written something that interests, exhausts, moves, perplexes, impresses and yes, matters.”
The Daily Beast
- Mythili Rao
“She Matters is both a remembrance of vital friendships as well as a deeply absorbing portrait of the author herself…There are beautiful moments documented here…but ultimately She Matters is a deeply affecting ode to the ones who got away.”
Kate Walbert"With remarkable candor, wit, and wisdom, Susanna Sonnenberg fearlessly examines her female friendships since childhood, brilliantly articulating the ways each sustained, sometimes devastated and ultimately defined her. She Matters: A Life in Friendships is a dazzling, poetic love letter to what women share, an unforgettable memoir you'll immediately want to pass along to friends."
Nick Flynn“She Matters is so finely nuanced, so joyously serious, so wildly playful—to live with it, page by page, is a deep pleasure. Sonnenberg is also so willing to push below the surface of what we call “friendship” (a surface, alas, most of us are willing to exist upon). Near the end, when we encounter the phrase “A perfect thing from dread pain,” we recognize that is what we have in our hands—a perfect thing.”
Elizabeth Gilbert“I read She Matters with such a keen sense of recognition, seeing myself (and my own mistakes and victories) repeated in so many forms through the female friendships of her own that Sonnenberg examines so eloquently…Like all of us, I want to do better. I think (hope) this book can help.”
Karen Thompson Walker“I was dazzled by this wise and intimate memoir about female friendship. Sonnenberg writes incredible sentences: precise, musical, surprising and insightful…Sonnenberg’s engrossing stories of the highs and lows of her various friendships with women, made me feel newly grateful for all the crucial and complex women in my own life…Everyone should read this book.”
The San Francisco Chronicle
- Mary Pols
“She Matters is a dark and intriguing piece of writing…rewarding…rich…[Sonnenberg’s] honesty has helped and will help me be more honest with myself within (and in regard to) friendships.”
New York Daily News
- Sherryl Connelly
“Sonnenberg is a beautiful writer…In this gallery of friendships, the portrait of each woman is so well drawn we grasp their significance and savor the intimacy.”
From the Publisher“In her stunning second memoir, a collection of linked essays, Sonnenberg finds universal truths in her experiences of female friendship.”
“She Matters is both a remembrance of vital friendships as well as a deeply absorbing portrait of the author herself…There are beautiful moments documented here…but ultimately She Matters is a deeply affecting ode to the ones who got away.”
“She Matters lingers with you, inviting you to construct a patchwork quilt of your own life and salute the many women who helped you along the way.”
“Sonnenberg is a gifted literary stylist with a stunning ability to write sentences that read like beautiful traps…She Matters artfully reveals the depth and gravity of love between women as they make sense of the changing and often treacherous emotional and logistical terrain of their forward-moving lives.”
“I read She Matters with such a keen sense of recognition, seeing myself (and my own mistakes and victories) repeated in so many forms through the female friendships of her own that Sonnenberg examines so eloquently…Like all of us, I want to do better. I think (hope) this book can help.”
“I was dazzled by this wise and intimate memoir about female friendship. Sonnenberg writes incredible sentences: precise, musical, surprising and insightful…Sonnenberg’s engrossing stories of the highs and lows of her various friendships with women, made me feel newly grateful for all the crucial and complex women in my own life…Everyone should read this book.”
“Sonnenberg, who’s aware of her passions and ambivalences, and doesn’t hide from them, made me think about what a friendship is, anyway…She’s written something that interests, exhausts, moves, perplexes, impresses and yes, matters.”
“She Matters is a dark and intriguing piece of writing…rewarding…rich…[Sonnenberg’s] honesty has helped and will help me be more honest with myself within (and in regard to) friendships.”
“Susanna Sonnenberg’s book reminds us how profoundly we’re affected by our friendships….You’ll want to share this with, yes, a friend.”
“Sonnenberg is a beautiful writer…In this gallery of friendships, the portrait of each woman is so well drawn we grasp their significance and savor the intimacy.”
The Dallas Morning News
- Jenny Shank
“[Sonnenberg’s] vivid prose is confessional and precise…Sonnenberg’s intensity might be rough on friendships, but it makes for charged storytelling.”
Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Rochelle Olson
“These are the stories of real women. Sonnenberg’s hard-core honesty, sharp detail and lovely prose make this a collection worth passing on to a friend.”
- Rebecca Joines Schinsky
“It is one thing to talk about the value and importance of friendships between women and another thing entirely to offer up one’s own friendships—the successes, the failures, the warmth, and the wrongdoing—by way of example and exploration To do the latter requires guts, candor, and a willingness to expose one’s own weaknesses and mistakes. Sonnenberg rises to the challenge beautifully and with remarkable grace in She Matters.”
BookTrib“Sonnenberg brings her considerable talent, unflinching eye, and electrifying prose to the topic of female friendship.”
Moves magazine“Rarely does someone write a book about friendship between women that women can relate to the way they can relate to Sonnenberg’s She Matters.”
Carolyn Cooke“Sonnenberg dances close to the fire on every page, unmasking female friendship as a liberating, dangerous and rigorous art. She Matters renders the messy self with gorgeous clarity. It's the truest, most human book I’ve read all year - generous, hilarious, ecstatic and profound.”
Parade“Susanna Sonnenberg’s book reminds us how profoundly we’re affected by our friendships….You’ll want to share this with, yes, a friend.”
Library JournalHaving written affectingly about her mother in Her Last Death, Sonnenberg here expands to all female relationships, from childhood friendships to friendships with older women to the friendships among new mothers. As she shows, relationships between women can have the burning intensity of love affairs. Highlighted at the Day of Dialog Editors' Picks panel.
Kirkus ReviewsThe intimate, often unsparing reflections of a woman writer on a lifetime of friendships with other women. Early on, essayist Sonnenberg (Her Last Death, 2008) learned, from the troubled mother who thought nothing of snorting cocaine in front of her and her sister and then confiding to them about her sexual exploits, that women were not only "fierce, supreme and capable," but also "devious and cunning." The other girls and women who entered Sonnenberg's life would have other lessons for her. One of the first friends she made as a child taught her that it was possible to have "no drama at all" in a relationship with another female. Others, like the girls she met in boarding school, became role models, comforters and confidantes. They helped Sonnenberg navigate a turbulent adolescence that included an affair with a married teacher and other sexual betrayals. Two young women brought the author into an awareness of females as objects of desire. As an adult, Sonnenberg had many passionate friendships, only to either outgrow them or be outgrown by them. When she married and became a mother, the challenges she faced in her relationships with other women increased. Not only was she still trying to fulfill her yearning for lasting connections with other females who also lived complicated lives, she was also confronted with having to "rewrite…my previous definition of motherhood" and grow beyond the example her own mother had set for her. With heart-rending precision, Sonnenberg offers an eloquent narrative that not only exposes but embraces the fraught nature of women's relationships with each other.
Average Rating 3
My closest friend from childhood died recently, suddenly and tra
My closest friend from childhood died recently, suddenly and tragically, and I purchased this book, thinking the stories would help with my grieving.
I think it's a beautiful celebration of friendship as well as an honest portrait of how women can both love AND wound each other.
To honor my friend, I've been giving this book to my other close friends with the message of &you matter to me.&
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful? & Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you, this review has been flagged.
Best thing about the book is the cover picture
I had hoped to love and share this book with my friends but I was very disappointed.
The writer was whiney and never seemed to get past the injustices done to her by the &friends& of which she wrote.
I kept expecting her to have an epiphany about friendships or at least herself.
If she did at the end it wasn't apparent.
If I had borrowed this book instead of bought it I would not have finished it.
I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't.
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful? & Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you, this review has been flagged.
No text was provided for this review.
If you find inappropriate content, please report it to
Publisher doesn't hold rights to book
Publisher doesn't hold rights to cover image
Inaccurate description
Objectionable content
Please enter a valid email address. Thank you. A welcome email has been sent.
Visit NOOK in:
B&N Services
Shipping & Delivery
Quick Help什么是虚拟语气?怎样运用虚拟语气?有关虚拟语气的语法有哪些?_百度知道
什么是虚拟语气?怎样运用虚拟语气?有关虚拟语气的语法有哪些?
提问者采纳
and study there,I would rather you go tomorrow, believe, (should) do 6,When I suggested that he try shaving cream, require, 如果that 从句中用would , I wish it would stop raining, slept C,t lost the chance,过去虚拟动词were)(事实上并不和我们在一起) 二),she wished she were at home,(wish,对现在情况的虚拟(与现在的事实相反),我情愿不告诉你这个秘密。 第三部分,You’d better set off now, (1),I’d rather not tell you the secret,常省去宾语从句的引导词that。 一),下同)I knew the answer to the question, When she was at the party,(will wish, He wishes he hadn&#39, could have slept B, 1, 我要是那时没有花掉那么多钱就好了。 2, demand, 3,, suspect等动词的否定或疑问形式后的宾语从句中的虚拟语气 在expect, (4),S,necessary(必要的),在上述所列形容词后面用that引出的宾语从句中, demand (要求),主句用would &#47,否定词需放在主语后面。这种结构在口语中很少使用,否定词not的位置应在动词之前, 表示过去想象中的动作或情况, 2, I wish (that可省略,should&#47,maintain, believe,其宾语从句的谓语用“would+动词原形”。 I had hoped that she would go to the U, should+动词原形do) 7, The judge assented to the suggestion that ,但在个别句子中也可以通过介词without和介词短语but for表达, imperative,” (3),had + spoken)(事实上他并没同我们讲) 4, urge 表示“同意,。 (1),下同)have a walk now, 〔A〕both of the criminals will soon be set freedom 〔B〕some of the criminals there are of guilt only 〔C〕the girl was to be paroled in the custody of a welfare society 〔D〕the prisoner be sentenced to death 希望这些对你有帮助!,从句谓语时态相应退后一位,峄爸小H, they will wish they were with us,consent,t have to be in such a hurry.I would rather you went on business first.你没有必要这么着急,惊奇等。这类名词 有,而将had ,表示动作或状态不是客观存在的事实,他希望能懂得中文。(事实上并不懂) 6,One can suggest that students should spend two or three years in an English,适当, I make a proposal that we (should) hold a meeting next week, 除此之外, You go out ! (5), vote 表示“决定,使用某些表示愿望,是虚拟条件最普通的方式。 ① 虚拟现在时表示与现在事实相反的假设, urgent,或would, 或者说,谓语动词也要用虚拟语气。 10,或者从句用了虚拟语气, go 4,直到我建议拆开看看它是如何转动的。) 5,(necessary,包含but for的句子,可用助动词do, insist,在It is +名词+that…的主语从句中的虚拟语气 在It is +名词+that的主语从句中,insist表示“坚持某种说法”时,t wasted so much time, I would rather( I would just as soon) you die,if 从句的谓语形式用过去完成时即had+过去分词,May you do even better!祝你取得更大成就, ”(当我建议他用刮胡膏时,请求,这类形容词包括necessary, 1,strange(奇怪的), decide …) 后的宾语从句中需用虚拟语气。谓语动词用(should) +动词原形。值得注意的是,对将来情况的虚拟(表示将来的主观愿望), urgent (急迫的), propose,主句和从句的主语不相同)。用wish表示对将来事情的愿望。例, requested (被请求的), would sooner也用来表达主观愿望,故此从句中谓语动词用原形,motion , ⑵,she insisted that I should finish the work at once,这个句子在高中出现频率颇高。 ④ 但是, Now that he is in China, better (更好的)* necessary (必须的), important, (我们建议学生应在说英语的国家呆上两三年。) 在表示命令, could &#47, When we begin the trip, It is necessary that we (should 可省略,客气,would prefer之后的宾语从句中的虚拟语气 would rather ,How she wished his family could go with him, recommend, ③ 大多数的虚拟条件句属于上面三种情况的一种,表达不可能实现或与事实相反的情况时,surprise, 从句用过去式或过去进行式(时间上是同时的)。其句子结构为, It&#39,Heaven help us. 四,crucial(紧急的),May you be happy, appropriate (适当的), 祝愿你玩的痛快。 ⑸, imperative (急需的),牧师说, should + have) (表示有需要去散步) 2, Do not work so hard,decision , 我后悔不该浪费这么多时间。(事实上已浪费了) 2,用来表示说话人所说的话并不是事实,要求, ⒋ 大多数的虚拟条件通过上面所讲的两种方法表达,即它们用于其本意暗示,谓语动词用过去式。例如,* natural (自然的),在动词wish后的宾语从句中的虚拟语气 在动词wish后的宾语从句中的虚拟语气, should + hold) (表示做出计划) ⑷, order 表示“主张”的,其后的表语从句中,请求, were)但愿我是只小鸟。(事实上不可能) 4,if从句还可以表示对将来的推测, 三,May you have a good time, preference (优先) proposal (计划),建议, 简单句中的虚拟语气 一,wonder等。 ⑴,要求等一类动词后面的从句中虚拟语气很普遍,表祝愿。 1, should + get) (表示做出主意) ⑶, think,t be afraid,If it had not rained so hard yesterday we could have played tennis,advisable (合适的), 二,情态动词的过去式用于现在时态时, might + have +过去分词,d rather you didn&#39,如果将wish改为过去式wished,请你告诉我去邮局的路好吗, might +动词原形, demanded (要求), insist +,对过去情况的虚拟(和过去的事实相反),about) time 之后的定语从句中需用虚拟语气。谓语动词用过去式,只能说这个事情发生的可能性有多大。一般情况下,s important that we (should) take good care of the patient,had rather, I wish you would help me, Don&#39, as though 引导的方式状语从句中的应用(谓语动词形式与wish后的宾语从句基本相同)表示与现在事实相反或对现在情况有怀疑,We didn&#39, The advice is that we (should 可省略,It was necessary that we (should) make everything ready ahead of time,The manager would rather his daughter did not work in the same office.经理宁愿她女儿不与他在同一间办公室工作。 (7), 7,忠告等动词的后面的宾语从句中的虚拟语气 由于这些动词本身隐含说话者的主观意见, They will wish they had listened to us sooner, (口语中常用don&#39, (注意那个be ) 祝你幸,假设或推测等。如,I would rather he went right now,如suggest表达“暗示”,建议,例如I would have hung you but the telephone was out of order,谓语动词必定要用虚拟形式,(1995年6月四级第46题)值得注意的是,于是便出现了有谓语动词是虚拟语气的主句加上谓语动词是陈述语气的but从句构成的并列复合句,请求,另外,例如,而是说话人的主观愿望, 祝愿我们的友情天长地久。 ⑹, (do not 表示否定的虚拟语气) (6), had + called)(事实上已迟了) 5,命令,I suggest that we (should) hold a meeting next week, (6),(necessary,resolution等。 We are all for your proposal that the discussion be put off.我们都赞成你提出的将讨论延期的建议。 The suggestion that the mayor present the prizes was accepted by everyone.由市长颁发奖金的建议被每个人接受。 ⑴,t know his telephone number,我希望我能通过考试。 ③May you succeed!祝您成功, 用wish表示对过去事情的遗憾。其句子结构为, 2,Wouldn&#39, desire (请求), recommend, Be more alert ! (虚拟语气动词Be) (4), “The razor and water do the job,desirable(理想的),Jean doesn&#39,第三人称单数也不加“s”) (1), (他费了几天功夫寻找理论根据,这是很重要的。 8,Her pale face suggests that she is ill, 从句动词&quot,我原本希望她到美国去念书,但包含without等短语的句子, but I had to get up and come to class,迫切,例如,常用的此类动词有, requirement,表示强烈愿望。(该类型虚拟语气谓语仅用动词原形,d rather you were not involved in the case.坦率地说,后面的从句不用虚拟语气, order,所以谈不上是真实的还是虚假的, I wished I hadn&#39,愿望,(虚拟动词would+动词原形stop) 我希望雨能停止。(事实上雨还在下着呢) 2, (proposal,女孩子可没那么容易就改变主意喔) 5,另一个和过去情况相反,坚持”的,例如,它们之后的宾语从句中需用虚拟语气。谓语动词用过去式表示现在或将来,此时may须置于句首(多用于正式文体中)。 ⑴,It is desired that we(should)get everything ready this evening.希望我们今晚一切都准备就绪。 注,(would + arrive) 你希望她第二天会到。(事实上她还没到) 4,如果主句没有用虚拟语气,我宁愿你现在对此事什么也不要做。 (11),过去虚拟动词understood) 现在他在中国, were 等词提到主语之前,I would just as soon you had returned the book yesterday.我真希望你昨天把这本书还了。 注, 所以前面要用过去完成时表示过去发生的动作。所以, ⒊ would (had)rather ,idea,宾语从句用陈述语气。 10,(wishes, Ⅲ其他形式的虚拟语气 ⒈ it is +necessary等形容词后, My idea is that we (should) get more people to attend the conference,“It is (was)+形容词(或过去分词)+that……”结构中的虚拟语气 在形如“It is (was)+形容词(或过去分词)+that……”结构中, demand, (wish,May the friendship between us last long,如It is suggested that pupils wear school uniforms, should +动词原形,suggestion (建议) order (命令) necessity (必要地),It is vital that enough money be collected to fund the project.重要的是募集足够的钱, vital (必不可少的)* probable (很可能的),t you rather your child went to bed early,To be frank,Don&#39, (5),d rather you didn&#39,可能, should + smoke) (表示要求不要在此抽烟) 4,resolution,If it had not rained so hard yesterday we could have played tennis, demand,常用于日,过去虚拟动词were)(事实上并不在家) 5, insist 例如,为什么你不愿让你的孩子早点上床呢,should + leave) (表示加以劝告) ⑵, advisable等, I wish you had called earlier, would (just) as soon, should&#47, (1),He insisted that he (should ) be sent there,下同) leave at once,句子尾通常加上感叹号, (2),命令等主观意愿的动词(desire,劝告, should &#47,(时间上较后)(请注意, (idea, You wished she would arrive the next day,如果后果用了虚拟语气, he said,如, but she said she liked to stay in China, I wish I were a bird,t want to work right away because she thinks that if she were to get a job she probably wouldn&#39, t happened in the past,下同)I hadn&#39,上述动词也要求用虚拟式 ① 在It is+上述动词的过去分词,advice , suspect等动词的否定或疑问形式后的宾语从句中, 选项A)could have slept是答案 三), ⑶, suggest,例如,demand ,* required (需要的),但她说她喜欢留在中国。 主语从句中的虚拟语气 一,t make any comment on the issue for the time being.我倒希望你暂时先不要就此事发表意见。 (10),Frankly speaking ,较好,(required,suggestion,这个事实是完全可能发生的。If从句的谓语形式用一般过去式或用were to &#47, essential,work, 表示“要求”的, (12),而条件却用陈述语气,“愿上帝保佑你,, (名词advice,如,我希望你不要卷入这件事。 (8),例如It is necessary that you listen to the teacher carefully, 9, ② 在上述动词相应的名词形式作主语+连系动词,怀疑,或委婉的语气,(important, I wish you would be quiet,The head nurse insisted that the patient not be move,(important,命令”的,否定形式的命令语气,或He insisted that he did not kill the boy, could&#47,It is essential that these application forms be sent back as early as possible.这些申请表应尽早地寄回,would rather后用动词原形 I would rather stay at home today. ②would rather...than...中用动词原形 I would rather stay at home than go out today. 五,would prefer(希望)也用来表达主观愿望,would rather ,对过去做的事的懊悔&quot,紧近,表示建议, you would not have been so painful now,例如It is high time that you went to school ⒊ 虚拟语气在as if &#47,(wished,she insists that she is right, recommendation以及plan,Long live the people! 人民万岁,表明, otherwise we would have telephoned him, desire,即用倒装结构,其结构如, The mad man was put in the soft-padded cell lest he injure himself, should + be) (表示重要的是学生都能了解校规) 5, I wish prices would come down,It would be better for you not to stay up too late, should &#47, (形容词natural,I would rather he came tomorrow than today,在insist 后的从句中,他说“剃刀和水就行了”。) 4, propose,我们经常用“should+动词原形(或完成形式)”,compulsory(必须的),而是一种假设, ⒉ 在It&#39,had + listened)(事实上并不如此) 例题分析,命令, ③ 在对上述动词相应的名词进行解释的同位语从句中, prpose,但频频出现在各类考试中出现,He pursued various theories for several days until I suggested we take the toy apart to see how it did work, Look at the terrible situation I am in! if only I had followed your advice,指派他做这项工作我认为是不恰当的。 二, beg 表示“提议,加上not。 (1), vital,如果出现not等否定词,由于是将来还没有发生的,例如, advice,但愿, might have slept D, t live in the world,这时候,谓语动词要用虚拟语气,其后的表语从句或同位语从句需用虚拟语气,would&#47,谓语动词未必一定要用虚拟语气。 ⒌ 有时虚拟条件不是明确地表达出来,①若某人愿自己做某事,注意, be ,有礼貌, ①If I were a bird, ⑵, I wish it were spring in my hometown all the year around,The doctor suggested that he (should) try to lose his weight,命令,表示说话人的谦虚,表示惊奇,(1998年1月四级第38题) ⒌ 在if only 引起的感叹句中需用虚拟语气。谓语动词用过去式或过去完成式。例如, desired (要求)* suggested (建议),t spent so much money,God save me. (2),that主语从句中虚拟形式使用, order,He felt as if he alone were responsible for what had happened, Work harder ! (3), suggest,preference ,虚拟语气动词用一般现在时态(Simple Present), It is natural that she should do so,might + 动词原形&quot,谓语动词多用虚拟语气,If you had followed what the doctor said, idea (办法),例如,而不是动词之后。例如,宾语从句的谓语用过去完成时,t do anything about it for the time being.坦白地说,你最好别熬夜到很晚。 二, recommended (推荐)* orderd (命令) 1,且均以“should+动词原形”表示这种语气,实义动词用过去式。例,而且通常省略主语(也就是you)。 2, were)但愿我的家乡四季如春。(事实上不可能) 3, 1,order,在一些习惯表达中。如,wish, 坚持别人做什么事情, I wish she would change her mind,即用过去式(表示现在发生的动作)或过去完成式(表示过去发生的动作)。本题后半句谓语动词have用的是过去时had to get up and come, suggest,为这个项目提供资金。 9,May you be happy!祝你快乐,urgent(紧迫的)。 常用的过去分词(Past Participle),但事实上“should”常被省略, could, 他真希望没有失去机会。(其实已失去) 3, 但注意, recommendation (建议),I wish I ______ longer this morning,需用虚拟语气。(wish后的that 常省略),怀疑或推测。 Ⅰ用以表示虚拟条件的虚拟语气 ⒈ 用if条件从句表示的虚拟条件,If I were in your position I would marry her,或者It is essential that you be able to pronounce every single word correctly,decide, ⒉ 在具有愿望,道歉,imperative(迫切的), plan (计划),“God bless you,incredible(惊人的), advise,在表示建议, would sooner, we could have played tennis,用过去完成式表示与过去事实相反。表示”宁愿做什么”或&quot, request,suggest,idea,实际上还没在一起) 四),命令虚拟语气只能用在第二人称(you), 动词过去式knew)我希望知道这个答案。(事实上是不知道) 2,I would rather everything hadn&#39,Have a good journey! 祝愿你旅途愉快,它们之后的宾语从句中需用虚拟语气。谓语动词用过去式表示现在或将来,表命令 1,I&#39, A,could&#47, important (重要的),(wish, Work ! (2), 用虚拟语气,谓语动词用过去完成式。 ⒋ 在lest 引导的状语从句中, require, (wished, should,→Had it not rained so hard yesterday,(would + join) (只是希望我们和他在一起, 虚拟语气在语法里算得上是个难点。让我们就从最简单的开始吧。 虚拟语气详解运用, might+现在完成时。例,其if 从句的谓语形式用动词的过去式(be 一般用were),其表达形式为should +动词原形或直接用动词原形。这类名词常见的有,t 代替do not) 五,The workers raised the demand that their pay be increased to cope with the inflation,(would + change) 我希望她会改变主意。(呵呵, preferable, he wishes he understood Chinese,情态动词,常用“may+动词原形”表示祝愿,命令等主观意向的名词作主语时,如果宾语从句的动词是否定的,pity ,(should )+ 动词原形。例如,could&#47,建议”的, request, I could fly in the air,ask, He will wish we would join him the following week,t be able to see her friends very often,(wish, We wished he had spoken to us,其后所跟的主语从句中, (3),主句用would&#47,例如,例如, It is required that nobody (should) smoke here,speaking country,在这样的句子里, would (just) as soon ,虚拟语气,I&#39,,requirment (要求) advice (劝告),重要等形容词后的主语从句的谓语也用虚拟语气。其表达形式为should +动词原形或省略should直接用动词原形(美国英语中省去should) 常用的形容词,I&#39,I don&#39, ⑷,It is my proposal that he be sent to study further abroad.我建议派他去国外进一步学习。 虚拟语气用在表语从句或同位语从句中 当某些表示建议, might +动词原形, have slept 动词wish后面接从句, 三, would sooner,The guard at gate insisted that everybody obey the rules,s (high&#47, 一般表示对现状不满或希望未来有所改变或请求 I wish he would answer my letter,认为某事应该或不应该怎样,你最好现在就出发。 (2),be或have的虚拟条件句中的连词if 省去, should + take) (表示重要的是照顾好病人) 6,John would rather that she had not gone to the party yesterday evening,You don&#39,虚拟语气(Subjunctive Mood)这一语法项目是各类英语考试中心测试的重点之一。虚拟语气是一种特殊的动词形式,请求,坚持认为时,shame,Would you be kind enough to show me the way to the post office, preferable (更可取的),possible(可能的),“had hoped”后的宾语从句中的虚拟语气 用“had hoped”表示原来希望做到而实际上未能实现的事情,怀疑, 8,宾语从句(Subordinate Clasue)中的虚拟语气 一,这些词语后面的“that”从句应用虚拟语气,He insisted that we (should ) tell him the news,recommendation ,我就能在空中飞行。 ②I wish I could pass the examination,这种用法是错的。 ⒉ 除了表示虚假条件外,t think it advisable that Tom be assigned to the job since he has no experience.汤姆缺乏经验, 其后that 从句中的动词形式不变。例如, 如果是坚持自己,proposal,名词性从句中的虚拟语气 第一节,essential(必要的), (2),desire , essential (本质的),”said the priest,常用虚拟语气,而在蕴含在用but引导的从句里,在expect, I wish you would stop asking silly questions,建议, It is important that every pupil (should) be able to understand therule of school,宾语从句的谓语be和were(was), ⑴, should + make) (表示有必要事先做好准备) 3, possible (可能的)* desirable (极好的)advisable(合理的), I wish (that可省略, 1,例如His suggestion was that classed be re-scheduled,可以用陈述语气的if从句来表示对一个未来事实的推测,我宁愿你先去上班。 (9),主句用would &#47,一个和现在情况相反, had rather, 用陈述语气, 我们从来没想到他是个如此勇敢的小战士。 四, command,用过去完成式表示与过去事实相反,都是错的。 Ⅱ用在宾语从句中的虚拟语气 ⒈ 在表示愿望的动词wish后的宾语从句中,不满等。 I never thought that he should be such a brave young soldier,move, think,(1996年1月四级第44题) ⒊ 有时可以把含有助动词,根据主句时态, insist, insist不表示建议或坚持要某人做某事时, require, 1,(would + be) 我希望你安静一些。(事实上那家伙还在吵着呢) 3, (will wish,如果我是一只小鸟, 3,副词otherwise等表达出来。例如,用动词原形。例如,May good luck be yours!祝你好运,但并不排除存在条件和后果中, ② 虚拟过去时是表示与过去事实相反的假设,
其他类似问题
按默认排序
其他1条回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁

我要回帖

更多关于 quot quot 的文章

随机推荐