sorry mom,i have no ability to make themom lifee as

-Sorry, mom. I didn’t make it to the top 5 in this test.- dear. I know you’ve tried your best.A. Take your timeB. That’s all rightC. That’s rightD. My pleasure  题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
& 题目详情
—Sorry, mom. I didn’t make it to the top 5 in this test.—______ dear. I know you’ve tried your best.A. Take your timeB. That’s all rightC. That’s rightD. My pleasure 
B 【解析】试题分析:A. Take your time别着急,慢慢来,B. That’s all right没关系, C. That’s right那是对的,D. My pleasure不用谢,句意:--对不起,妈妈,我考试没有考到前5名。--没关系,我知道你已经尽力了。选B。考点:考查交际用语 
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:高中英语
来源:学年四川省高三三诊模拟英语试卷(解析版)
题型:短文改错
下面短文中共有10处语言错误,请在有错误的地方增加、删除或修改。每句最多有两处错误。 增加:在缺词处加一个漏字符号(∧),并在其下面写出该加的词。 删除:把多余的词用斜线(\)划掉。 修改:在错的词下划一横线,并在该词下面写出修改后的词。 注意:1. 每处错误及其修改均仅限一词;
2. 只允许修改10处,多者(从第11处起)不记分。Dear diary, Here I am in the middle of a city, 350 miles far away from our farmhouse. Do you want to know why we move last week? Dad lost his job, and as mom explained, he was lucky to find other one. His new job meant I had to say goodbye to my classmate, my school or just everything else in the world. To make matters bad, now I have to share a room with my younger sister, Maggie. Tomorrow is first day of school. I am awfully tiring, but I know I’ll never fall sleep. Good night and remember, you, my dear diary, is my only souvenir from my past life and my only friend. 
题型:阅读理解
Mattel Inc. is recalling 4.4 million Polly Pocket toys with magnets(磁铁)after some of them caused serious injuries to children who swallowed magnets that fell off.Tiny magnets inside the toys may fall off without being noticed by parents and babysitters. The magnets can be swallowed or placed in children’s noses or ears. When more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attract each other and cause intestine perforation(肠内穿孔)which can be deadly. The Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC)received 170 reports of the small magnets coming out of these recalled toys. There were three reports of serious injuries to children who swallowed more than one magnet. All three suffered intestinal perforations that required operation. A 2-year-old child stayed in hospital for seven days and a 7-year-old child was hospitalized for 12 days. An 8-yeal-old child was also hospitalized.The recalled Polly Pocket toys contain plastic dolls and accessories(附件)that have small magnets. The magnets measure one-eighth inch in diameter and are fixed in the hands and feet of some dolls, and even in the plastic clothing, hairpieces and other accessories to help the pieces stay on the doll or the doll’s house.The model number is printed on the bottom of the largest pieces on some of the toys. Contact Mattel if you cannot find a model number on your product to determine if it is part of the recall. Polly Pocket magnetic toys currently sold in stores are not included in this recall. The model numbers included in the recall are: B2632, B3158, B3201, B7118, G8605, H1537, H1538 and H3211. The toys were on sales in department stores and toy stores from May 2006 through September 2009 for between $15 and $30.Consumers should immediately take these recalled toys away from children and contact Mattel for the return of the toys. For more information contact Mattel at 888 597-6597 anytime or visit the company’s Web site.1.The main purpose of the passage is .A. to criticize Mattel Inc. for their bad productsB. to inform readers of Polly Pocket toys recall C. to warn readers the danger of swallowing magnetsD. to suggest some ways to return Polly Pocket toys2.What did the writer use to show the danger of the problem toys?a. figures b. quotes(引言) c. serious casesd. description of possible injuries e. description of operation scenesA. abc B. abd C. acd D. ace3.The word “recalling” in the first paragraph can be best explained as .A. taking back B. destroying C. giving up D. examining4.All of the following points are covered in the story EXCEPT .A. the danger of small magnetsB. the ways of returning Polly Pocket toysC. the methods of recognizing a recalled Polly Pocket toysD. the apology made by Mattel Inc. 
来源:学年四川省高三上学期第二学段英语试卷(解析版)
A device that stops drivers from falling asleep at the wheel is about to undergo testing at Department of Transport laboratories and could go on sale within 12 months.The system, called Driver Alert, aims to reduce deadly road accidents by 20% - 40% that are caused by tiredness. Airline pilots can also use it to reduce the 30% of all pilot-error accidents that are related to fatigue.Driver Alert is based on a computerized wristband (腕套). The device, worn by drivers or pilots, gives out a sound about every four minutes during a car journey. After each sound the driver must respond by squeezing the steering wheel (方向盘). A sensor in the wristband detects this pressing action and measures the time betweenthe sound the driver’s response.Tiredness is directly related to a driver’s response time. Usually, a watchful driver would take about 400 milliseconds to respond, but once that falls to more than 500 milliseconds, it suggests that the driver is getting sleepy.In such cases the device gives out more regular and louder sounds, showing that the driver should open a window or stop for a rest. If the driver’s response continues to slow down, the sounds become more frequent until a nonstop alarm warns that the driver must stop as soon as possible.The device has been delivered to the department’s laboratories for testing. If these tests, scheduled for six months’ time, are successful, the makers will bring the product to market within about a year.1.According to the text, Driver Alert ______.A. aims to reduce tiredness-related accidentsB. has gone through testing at laboratoriesC. aims to prevent drivers form sleepingD. has been on sale for 12 months2.How should a driver respond to the sounds from Driver Alert?A. By sounding a warning.B. By touching the wristband.C. By checking the driving time.D. By pressing the steering wheel.3.We can learn form the text that the driver needs to stop for a break when his response time is ____.A. about 400 milliseconds B. below 500 millisecondsC. over 500 milliseconds D. about 4 minutes4.When the driver gets sleepy while driving, Driver Alert ______.A. moves more regularlyB. stops working properlyC. opens the window for the driverD. sounds more frequently and loudly 
题型:单项填空
When interviewed, the family members of the victims said that they didn’t know what ______ without their loved ones. A. they expect B. to expect C. to be expected D. to have been expected  
来源:2014年全国普通高等学校招生统一考试英语(陕西卷解析版)
Why do Americans struggle with watching their weight, while the French, who consume rich food, continue to stay thin? Now a research by Cornell University suggests how life style and decisions about eating may affect weight. Researchers concluded that the French tend to stop eating when they feel full. However, Americans tend to stop when their plate is empty or their favorite TV show is over. According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, a health expert, the French see eating as an important part of their life style. They enjoy food and therefore spend a fairly long time at the table, while Americans see eating as something to be squeezed between the other daily activities. Mercola believes Americans lose the ability to sense when they are actually full. So they keep eating long after the French would have stopped. In addition, he points out that Americans drive to huge supermarkets to buy canned and frozen foods for the week. The French, instead, tend to shop daily, walking to small shops and farmers’ markets where they have a choice of fresh fruits, vegetables, and eggs as well as high-quality meats for each meal. After a visit to the United States, Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don’t Get Fat, decided to write about the importance of knowing when to stop rather than suggesting how to avoid food. Today she continues to stay slim and rarely goes to the gym. In spite of all these differences, evidence shows that recent life style changes may be affecting French eating habits. Today the rate of obesity — or extreme overweight — among adults is only 6%. However, as American fast food gains acceptance and the young reject older traditions, the obesity rate among French children has reached 17% — and is growing.1.In what way are the French different from Americans according to Dr. Joseph Mercola?A. They go shopping at supermarkets more frequently. B. They squeeze eating between the other daily activities.C. They regard eating as a key part of their lifestyles.D. They usually eat too much canned and frozen food.2.This text is mainly the relationship between _________.A. Americans and the French B. life style and obesityC. children and adults D. fast food and overweight3.The text is mainly developed __________.A. by contrast B. by space C. by process D. by classification4.Where does this text probably come from?A. A TV interview B. A food advertisement C. A health report D. A book review 
来源:2014年全国普通高等学校招生统一考试英语(福建卷解析版)
题型:书面表达
如何理解“成功”,不同的人有不同的看法。请认真阅读下面的引语( quotation),按要求用英语写一篇短文。 “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston, Churchill 内容要求: 1.你对该引语的理【解析】 2.你的相关经历: 3.恰当的结尾。 注意: 1.短文开头已给出,不计人总词数: 2.文中不能出现考生的具体信息: 3.词数:120左右。 This quotation from Winston Churchill tells us that__________________________ 
来源:学年天津市高三5月月考英语试卷(解析版)
–I don’t know what I _______ without the suitcase you lent me.–Glad to have been of some help to you.A. should have doneB. would doC. would have doneD. should do 
来源:2014年全国普通高等学校招生统一考试英语(陕西卷解析版)
It’s quite hot today. Do you feel like _________ for a swim?A. to go B. going C.lgo D. having gone  
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号SSC DISCORD SERVER AT /invite/gpaTC SCHELLING POINT FOR DISCUSSION IS WED 10 PM EST
Embalmed Ones
Fabulous Ones
Innumerable Ones
Stray Dogs
Suckling Pigs
Those Drawn With A Very Fine Camel Hair Brush
Those That Are Included In This Classification
Those That Are Trained
Those That At A Distance Resemble Flies
Those That Belong To The Emperor
Those That Have Just Broken The Flower Vase
Those That Tremble As Though They Are Mad
Various Others
A lot of the comments I’ve gotten about Tuesday’s post on growth mindset have been pretty similar. They’ve argued that yes, innate ability might matter, but that even the most innate abilityed person needs effort to fulfill her potential. If someone were to believe that success were 100% due to fixed innate ability and had nothing to do with practice, then they wouldn’t bother practicing, and they would fall behind. Even if their innate ability kept them from falling behind morons, at the very least they would fall behind their equally innate abilityed peers who did practice.
I will call this the Bloody Obvious Position, since it’s hard to believe it isn’t true. I once tried to imagine a world without it , but it was pretty weird and I wasn’t serious.
The Bloody Obvious Position was what I was trying to get at with my , and with my terrible ad hoc graph:
Nevertheless, some people thought I was denying the Bloody Obvious Position. Other people thought I was accusing Carol Dweck of denying the Bloody Obvious Position (see eg ). This despite my making sure to say:
I want to end by correcting a very important mistake about growth mindset that Dweck mostly avoids but which her partisans constantly commit egregiously.
I believe the Bloody Obvious Position. Dweck believes the Bloody Obvious Position. I acknowledge that Dweck believes the Bloody Obvious Position. There are a lot of growth mindset partisans online who don’t believe the Bloody Obvious Position, and I satisfied my urge to yell at them, but now they’ve been yelled at, and the more important issues debated by reasonable people still remain.
So where do I disagree with Dweck? I interpret Dweck as making the following statement:
The more important you believe innate ability to be compared to effort, the more likely you are to stop trying, to avoid challenges, to lie and cheat, to hate learning, and to be obsessed with how you appear before others
Call it the Controversial Position. This is not the same thing as the Bloody Obvious Position. In the Bloody Obvious Position, someone can believe success is 90% innate ability and 10% effort. They might also be an Olympian who realizes that at her level, pretty much everyone is at a innate ability ceiling, and a 10% difference is the difference between a gold medal and a last-place finish. So she practices very hard and does just as well as anyone else.
According to the Controversial Position, this athlete will still do worse than someone who believes success is 80% ability and 20% effort, who will in turn do worse than someone who believes success is 70% ability and 30% effort, all the way down to the person who believes success is 0% ability and 100% effort, who will do best of all and take the gold medal.
And this is why I deny that I’m secretly agreeing with Dweck, or strawmanning Dweck, or whatever. I don’t believe the Controversial Position, but I think Dweck does. For example,
she writes: “The more a player believed athletic ability was a result of effort and practice rather than just natural ability, the better that player performed”.
There is nothing in there about “the more a player realizes that, no matter how important innate ability is, effort matters too.” Her statement says that it’s entirely about what degree a player attributes success to effort versus innate ability. The natural conclusion there is that the player who believes success is 0% innate ability and 100% effort will do the best.
Her studies reflect this as well. The most common design uses the IAR, a test where children are asked to attribute different things to effort versus ability. Those who attribute too many things to ability are classified as “helpless” and “fixed mindset”. There’s no question about “Okay, some things are due to ability, but if you work hard that still helps, right?” Nor have I ever seen any of the literature claim “it’s important to believe effort matters a little, but after a certain point more effort-attribution doesn’t help”, or “Maybe there’s an L-shaped relationship between belief-in-importance-of-ability and success.”
I’d like to be able to teach my children that success is X% innate ability and Y% practice, for non-zero values of both X and Y. I think growth mindset theory claims that if some other parent teaches their kids the same thing for a lower value of X and higher value of Y, their children will be more honest, harder-working, and more successful. And the parent who says it’s 0% innate ability and 100% practice will do best of all. If growth mindset people don’t believe that, I can only confess I have never been able to infer that lack of belief from their writings.
Worse, we can distinguish between a Sorta Controversial Position and a Very Controversial Position:
SCP: The more children believe effort matters, and the less they believe innate ability matters, the more successful they will be. This is because every iota of belief they have in effort gives them more incentive to practice. A child who believes innate ability and effort both explain part of the story might think “Well, if I practice I’ll become a little better, but I’ll never be as good as Mozart. So I’ll practice a little but not get my hopes up.” A child who believes only effort matters, and innate ability doesn’t matter at all, might think “If I practice enough, I can become exactly as good as Mozart.” Then she will practice a truly ridiculous amount to try to achieve fame and fortune. This is why growth mindset works.
VCP: Belief in the importance of ability directly saps a child’s good qualities in some complicated psychological way. It is worse than merely believing that success is based on luck, or success is based on skin color, or that success is based on whatever other thing that isn’t effort. It shifts children into a mode where they must protect their claim to genius at all costs, whether that requires lying, cheating, self-sabotaging, or just avoiding intellectual effort entirely. When a fixed mindset child doesn’t practice as much, it’s not because they’ve made a rational calculation about the utility of practice towards achieving success, it’s because they’ve partly or entirely abandoned success as a goal in favor of the goal of trying to convince other people that they’re Smart.
Carol Dweck unambiguously believes the Very Controversial Position. In a quotation which I admit I am mangling and ellipsis-ing heavily to remove extra verbiage, but which I think preserves the meaning of :
[People with fixed mindsets] are so concerned with being and looking talented that they never realize their full potential. In a fixed mindset, the cardinal rule is to look talented at all costs. The second rule is don’t work too hard or practive too much…having to work casts doubt on your ability. The third rule is, when faced with setbacks, run away. They say things like ‘I would try to cheat on the next test’. They make excuses, they blame others, they make themselves feel better by looking down on those who have done worse.”
Can we all agree this is a much stronger claim than “ability matters, but effort also matters?”
I was not intending to “debunk” growth mindset, or even present a pure polemic against growth mindset. I admitted that many of the studies around it were very good, and that I don’t have good answers to them. My bias is against the theory, but I tried not to just follow my bias. I tried to treat it on the level of “there’s a lot of good evidence for growth mindset, now what’s the best evidence we can find against it?”
So I guess I should probably come out and say what I believe about each position.
I believe the Bloody Obvious Position is bloody obvious.
I believe the Somewhat Controversial Position is probably not a good way to parse things. Part of it is that we might be confusing explicit versus implicit beliefs. Maybe a particular geneticist is very aware of research showing how important genetics is to success, and would give a very high estimate if asked, but in her own life, when she fails, lack of effort is still the first explanation to immediately leap to mind. Or maybe some teacher is very on board with growth mindset and things IQ is a racist construct, but is convinced that she can’t do physics because she’s just “not a math kind of person”. The research I’ve seen hasn’t really distinguished between explicit and implicit beliefs. The priming experiments sure seem more likely to affect what immediately comes to mind than your stable, well-reasoned beliefs about how the world works (even though a few priming experiments have checked stable well-reasoned beliefs to see if the intervention worked!)
If you put a gun to my head, I’ll say it certainly works in the lab, and give you about 50-50 odds that it matters in real life. The studies don’t show any real-life correlation between growth mindset and any measures of success. Many people have pointed out that this could be confounded – dumb people might preferentially believe ability doesn’t matter to make themselves feel better about not having it, and smart people might preferentially believe effort doesn’t matter because they rarely have to use it. But if you accept that, some of the rest of it starts to look confounded. If fixed mindset = smart people, than might the reason they react poorly to challenges and failure be that they have no experience with them? Might it be that the more challenges and failures you’ve encountered before, the better you are at dealing with them? Certainly that is how I interpret , even though she thinks it is purely a mindset effect. Another way of explaining the ecological results without bringing in that particular confounder would be if growth mindset helped in some situations, but fixed mindset helped in others. For example, a person with fixed mindset risks not trying hard enough because they think there’s no point. But a person with growth mindset risks the opportunity costs of prolonging their inevitable failure instead of (in the Silicon Valley term) “failing fast” and pivoting towards a higher-payoff activity.
The Very Controversial Position is also well-supported, also contradicted by ecological data, and really really doesn’t match my experience. The people I know who are most interested in issues of innate ability don’t behave at all like Dweck’s subjects. In fact, I wonder if a lot of the “life-hacking” movement might be ability-mindset people trying to figure out how to succeed more by improving ability – certainly the people who practice dual-n-back every day because they think it increases IQ fall into this category, but so do nootropics users, people who follow special diets to increase energy, and “try this one weird trick to improve your motivation”. And these same people seem interested in things like spaced repetition software, which might be thought of as sort of prosthetic ability-enhancers. On the other hand, I’ve also met people who say “I could succeed if only I put in some effort, but I have some mental block / depression / ADHD / low conscientiousness score that makes it impossible for me to work that hard, so better go eat worms”, then sabotage themselves at every opportunity.
And yes, it’s a sin to privilege your own experience and priors over the results of good studies, but . And it’s another sin to prefer the results of broad ecological studies to controlled experimental trials, but .
I deny the claim that I don’t disagree with Dweck on anything of substance. I don’t absolutely disagree with her on anything, but there are a lot of things I doubt, or that I expect to capture true insights without being the best way to express them. Growth mindset makes some surprising and genuinely controversial claims, and I’m not yet at the point where I can feel sure about them either way.
Share this:
This entry was posted in
and tagged . Bookmark the .
Subscribe via Email
Email Address
Recent Posts
MealSquares is a "nutritionally complete" food that contains a balanced diet worth of nutrients in a few tasty easily measurable units. Think Soylent, except zero preparation, made with natural ingredients, and looks/tastes a lot like an ordinary scone.
Support this blog by donating through .
80,000 Hours researches different problems and professions to help you figure out how to do as much good as possible. Their
show you how to choose a career that's fulfilling and maximises your contribution to solving the world's most pressing problems.
provides monthly updates on the highest-impact ways to do good and help others.
Qualia builds software for the title and escrow industry, which we chose to maximize our comparative advantage and capitalize on information inefficiency. We're growing fast and are looking for full-stack engineers and quantitative operations hires. Email
for more information.
Beeminder's an evidence-based willpower augmention tool that collects quantifiable data about your life, then helps you organize it into commitment mechanisms so you can keep resolutions. They've also got a blog about what they're doing
is building an objective and empirically validated software engineering recruitment process. We don’t look at resumes, we just look at whether you can code. We’ve had great success helping Slate Star Codex readers get jobs in the past. We invite you to test your skills and try our process!
The Center for Applied Rationality conducts workshops which use cognitive science to teach people to achieve their goals more effectively. You can find a self-assessment of some of their results .
is a secure, future-proof, decentralized smart contract system which can upgrade its own protocol on the fly.
is the first story-driven podcast about contemporary philosophy, where we bring philosophy out of stories of ordinary and extraordinary human experiences. Season 1 is airing now.
is a charitable movement promoting giving some of your money to the developing world or other worthy causes. If you're interested in this, consider taking their Pledge as a formal and public declaration of intent.

我要回帖

更多关于 make life get better 的文章

随机推荐