阅读已结束,下载文档到电脑
想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,方便使用
还剩53页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢Okay Google Now remind me of how awesome you are - TechRepublic
Google has taken the world of
reminders and injected it with a serious dose of adrenaline. By using the Google Now voice command system, you can quickly create
reminders to help keep your busy life on schedule. But the reminder
system is far more powerful than just "Okay Google Now, remind me to buy milk." With the latest iteration of Google Now, you can also create location-based
reminders, recurring reminders, and more. The best part is that this process is
incredibly easy.
Let's walk through the
process of creating reminders using the Google Now system. I'll be
demonstrating on a Verizon-branded Motorola Moto X with Android 4.4. The steps
for other handsets will vary slightly.
First, the setup process
In order to make use of this system,
it must be configured properly. You'll also need to make sure you have the
latest version of
from the Play Store. To update
this app, follow these steps:
Open the Google Play StoreSearch for "google search"Tap the entry for Google SearchTap UpdateTap AcceptAllow the update to complete
Now that Google Search is updated to the
latest version, here's how to configure the system:
Open the Settings appLocate Touchless ControlMake sure Touchless Control is enabled (Figure A)Make sure Launch phrase sound is enabled
The Touchless Control settings
If this is your first time using
Touchless Control, you'll need to walk through the Train launch phrase wizard, which will help train Google Search to your voice (you'll need to be in a
quiet room to complete this). Here's how:
Open the Settings appLocate Touchless ControlTap Train launch phraseSay "Okay Google Now" when prompted (you'll do this
three times)
When you're finished, you can tap Done or speak the launch
phrase (Okay Google Now) and then say "help me" to get a list of what you can
do with the command.
Next, the reminders
With Google Now set up, it's time
to start creating reminders. Let's say you need a reminder to call your wife or husband when you get home. This will create a reminder that actually reminds you to
place the phone call when you arrive at the destination that you've configured as
home (this is done through the Maps application in Settings | Edit home or
work). To set this reminder, I would say:
Google Now remind me to call Stephanie at home
Notice I do not say "...call
Stephanie when I get home." If you use
"when," Google Now creates a time-based reminder. Of course, if you have
multiple Stephanie entries in your contacts, you would specify a last name. When the reminder goes off, if you have multiple phone numbers associated with a contact, (such as home, mobile, and work), you can specify it at that time.
Once Google Now creates the
reminder, you actually have to tap Remind me at this place to save the
Let's say you want to create a
recurring reminder. For instance, you want to set up a reminder to pick up your
kids every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 PM. To do this, say:
Google Now remind me to pick up the kids every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at
You could even add a location to
that reminder (which will add a map to the reminder and give you directions, if
needed). You'll be surprised at how accurate Google Now is at recognizing
regular speech patterns (Figure B).
Google Now easily recognizes
regular speech patterns.
Google Now can also set contextual,
time-based reminders like so:
Google Now remind me to pay the phone bill next Friday
You can even add locations to a
reminder. If Google Maps recognizes a landmark, you can add it by name — otherwise, you must add it using the address. This works great:
Google Now remind me to buy toilet paper at Target
Say Google Maps locates Target, but
there are multiple locations. You can set a specific location from the Reminder
setup page. Once you speak the command, the setup page will appear. Before you
tap Remind me at this place, tap the All locations drop-down, and then tap the
specific location you want (Figure C).
Setting a specific location for a
Sometimes, I've been lucky, and the
All locations worked in such a way that when I arrived at one of the listed
locations, the reminder was set off. This isn't always accurate, so you might
want to set the specific location when possible.
The Google Now reminder system is
an amazing tool for keeping you reminded of important things. The only downfall of the hands-free action with Google Now is that it's
not 100% hands-free. If Google added a sub-command, like "set
reminder," to make this system a completely hands-free task, Google Now
reminders would be the perfect solution for on-the-go users. However, as is, it's still
pretty terrific.
How do you use the Google Now reminder system to keep track of your tasks? If you don't use Google Now reminders, what's preventing it from becoming your default reminder tool? Share your thoughts in the discussion thread below.
Automatically sign up for TechRepublic's The Android Expert newsletter.
About Jack Wallen
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic . He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his .
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic . He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his .
Tech News You Can Use
We deliver the top business tech news stories about the companies, the people, and the products revolutionizing the planet.
Delivered Daily
Best of the Week
Our editors highlight the TechRepublic articles, galleries, and videos that you absolutely cannot miss to stay current on the latest IT news, innovations, and tips.
Delivered FridaysSimplify Doing the Dishes: 5 Steps (with Pictures)Introduction: Simplify Doing the DishesAt my house we hate doing dishes. Doing laundry is considered slightly less painful. We have a dishwasher but because we almost never eat out and frequently have to make food from scratch we have LOTS of dishes and the dishwasher can't keep up. We've even seriously considered having two dishwashers.
The point of this instructable is how we, very easily, simplified the task of doing dishes in our house.
This would also work great for people that don't have a dishwasher.Step 1: Examine Your SinkLook in your dishes pit (aka sink) and look at what takes the longest to wash by hand. Pots and pans usually take up a lot of space but unless food is really stuck on, they wash up pretty quick. We would have a lot of silverware floating around in there to but we could easily process it all in one load in the dishwasher.
The thing that took the longest was the bowls, plates and cups. Plates and bowls can be pretty messy and they would build up during the day. We would have had to wash dishes three times a day (or more when you count dessert) to keep up. That was too much for us or was it?Step 2: Ration Your DishesWe decided that there were too many times when we and the kids would grab a bowl or plate or cup, use it for ten minutes and then toss it in the sink. They would build up over the day. We would try to use a cup for water or juice throughout the day but we would forget or two of us would have similar cups and we'd loose track of which one was which. We even tried each of us having a place where we kept a cup. That didn't work at all.
Realizing we would have to eat and drink far less or actually keep up with the dishes we set out to find a way to enforce doing the dishes.
We decided that everyone would have their own bowl and plate (we recently added our own cups). Unless company was over and we were eating with the fancy dishes, no one is allowed to use anything other than their assigned dishes.
We got unbreakable plastic dishes from a local grocery store because we have young children. Using a Sharpie marker we write the first initial of each of us on the bottom of the dish.Step 3: Wash As You GoNow everyone has to wash their dish in order to eat the next meal. At first the kids would still throw their dishes in the sink and then have to scrub them when they wanted to eat again but they've learned the value of washing immediately after eating as the food is not stuck on yet.
Really the main thing this does is enforce the dishes being washed. If anyone comes to the table without their designated dish it's obvious and asked why they didn't use their designated dish. However it does do two other things that helps make washing dishes less painful.
1. It spits the job among the whole family. Instead of one or two of us tackling a mountain of dishes after dinner, everyone does dishes for a minute or two several times a day.
2. Allows the job to be done faster because of the reduced number of dishes that have to be done (only 1-3 per person).
Using this simple method we've greatly reduced our dishes disorder.Step 4: Adding Silverware to the RationingIf we didn't have a dishwasher we would definitely ration silverware. We already have these foons that we use when packing a lunch. Everyone has a color to identify who's foon is who's.
These foons are from Light My Fire, we found them in the camping section of a store and are quite durable. We've been using two of them for over two years, the other two we got within the last 6 months.Step 5: Tackling Pots and PansWe still hate having to wash pots and pans. I haven't figured out a way of reducing them yet. They don't get used the way dishes do. For now they're either put in the dishwasher or done later in the day.
If anyone has a suggestion for simplifying a stack of pots and pans leave a comment on how you would do it.About This Instructable 84Bio:
EmmettO is a general mad scientist, blacksmith, metalcaster and former Unix admin. Now he fixes darn near anything that people throw at him and breaks ...
More by EmmettO:Add instructable to:RelatedTeach Your Cat to Fetch: 6 Steps (with Pictures)Introduction: Teach Your Cat to FetchI found a kitten in the ditch as I was walking down the road one day.
I brought her home and cleaned her up with all intentions of giving her to one of my lovely friends.
Soon I was once again reminded of the old adage that "kittens are like opinions, everyone is trying to give them away".
To mak I was stuck with her.
So I decided to teach her how to fetch.
This is how I did it:Step 1: Find a Toy That Cats LikeI grabbed a plastic bag and pretended like it was the coolest thing on Earth.
I made a lot of noise with it which really piqued the kitten's attention.
I acted foolish like that until she was entirely focused on the bag.
Step 2: Make the Bag Into a BallThen I tied the loud plastic bag into a ball and rubbed some cat treat on it to make it even more appealing. Step 3: Keep This in Mind (a Lesson in Cats)Carrying something in their mouth is natural for cats. It's what they do (especially female cats with their kittens).
You'll be able to tell if this is something natural for your damn cat or if it doesn't want to play fetch.
Dont get angry with your kitty if she doesn't want to play fetch. Just try different methods to get her to actually see YOU carry the ball back to the starting point (mostly in your mouth). Whenever she actually picks up the ball and tries to bring it back, Reward her! Simple playful pets work great! Once in a while give her a food treat (POUNCE, tuna, etc).
Don't spoil her with rewards though.
If you spoil her, then she'll just turn into a snobby cat like your friend's cat.
Rewards should be random after she realises the routine. Step 4: Teach Kitty to Carry It in Her MouthI dont have a pic for this, but this is the most important part!
For my kitten, Dorothy, I took her into a small room (the bathroom).
I then sat on one side of the room and after I teased her with the bag/ ball a little, I tossed it to the other side of the room then I, myself, crawled over to the bag/ ball (at this point she will be so interested that you'll probably have to take it from the cat) and put the ball in my mouth and brought it back to where I started.
Let kitty see what you are doing (actually put the ball in your mouth and crawl back to where you started). Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Keep doing it. I recommend a small room because it makes it easier to go back and forth.
Kitty will eventually learn that with bringing the ball/bag back a reward is in store.Step 5: Remember, Cats Are Easily DistractedKeep your cat interested in chasing the ball and bringing it back to you. I picked her up a lot of times, put the ball in my mouth and brought her and the ball back to the starting point. Give her a treat once in a while. Flip her over, pet her. Talk to her in cat talk.
When your kitty gets sick of it (maybe a leaf blows by and she goes for that), just forget about it and come back to the task at hand later.
Repetition is the key but there is a fine line.
Don't make it into a military drill or your cat will never fetch and someday eat you in your sleep.
Remember, your kitty is not a doggy.
Cats will hold grudges.Step 6: See Spot Fetch
I did a lot of reading on this (about 15 minutes worth) and used the methods that I've explained. My new found kitten seems to be a natural at fetching. Check her out!
About This Instructable 13Bio:
Glad you stopped by to check out my Instructable!
More by gibandy:Add instructable to:Related

我要回帖

更多关于 picturestoexe 的文章

随机推荐