加  展示
享受成长特权
官方公共微信您好,欢迎来到新东方
您当前的位置: &
& 文章正文
常用的英文谚语及解释全分享,英语谚语用法举例
13:49&&作者:&&来源:互联网&&字号:|
1.After meat, after death, doctor .
Explanation: this describes a situation where assistance or comfort is given when it is too late.
Example: just as I had cancelled my application to go abroad, I had a promise of money for my fare. It was a case of after death, the doctor.
2.After praising the wine they sell us vinegar.
挂羊头卖狗肉
Explanation: to offer to give or sell something that is inferior to what you claim it to be.
Example: that fellow completely misled us about what he was capable of doing. After praising the wine, he sold us vinegar.
3.All is over but the shouting.
Explanation: fi not able to be changed.
Example: after Bill’s touch down, the game is all over but shouting.
4.All lay load on the willing horse.
人善被人欺,马善被人骑
Explanation: a willing horse is someone who is always doing things for others. Very often the implication is that others impose on him.
Examples: the trouble is you’re too good-natured and people take advantage of it. all lay load on the willing horse. You will have to learn to refuse people who ask too much.
5.Anger and haste hinder good counsel.
小不忍则乱大谋
Explanation: one can not act wisely when one is angry or in a hurry.
Example: you should calm down before you decide the next move. Anger and haste hinder good counsel.
6.As poor as a church mouse
Explanation: to be exceedingly poor, having barely to live upon.
Example: he has a large family, and is poor as a church mouse.
Note: a church is one of the few buildings that contain no food.
Happy Valentine's Day!
7. A word spoken is past recalling.
一言既出,驷马难追
Explanation: the harm done by a careless word can not easily undo.
Example: for the rest of his life he regretted what he had said, but a word spoken is past recalling and he knew he could never repair the damage of that moment of harshness.
8. World is but a little place, after all.
天涯原咫尺,到处可逢君
Explanation: it is used when a person meets someone he knows or is in someway connected with him in a place where he would never have expected to do so.
Example: Who would have thought I would bump into an old schoolmate on a trek up Mount Tai. The world is but a little place after all.
9. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Explanation: conform to the manners and customs of those amongst whom you live.
Example: I know you have egg and bacon for breakfast at home, but now you are on the Continent you will do as the Romans do and take coffee and rolls.
10. What you lose on the swings you get back on the roundabouts.
失之东隅,收之桑榆
Explanation: a rough way of start if you have bad luck on one day you
if one venture results in loss try a fresh one---it may succeed.
Example: he may always possess merits which ma if he loses on the swings, he may win on the roundabouts.
11. What are the odds so long as you are happy.
知足者常乐
Explanation: what does anything else matter if a person is happy.
Example: you complain so much, but you have a good family, parents, health, and money. What’s the odd so long as you’re happy.
12.Entertain an angel unawares.
有眼不识泰山
Explanation: to receive a great personage as a guest without knowing his merits.
Example: in the course of evening someone informed her that she was entertaining an angel unawares, in the shape of a composer of the greatest promise
13. Every dog has his day .
是人皆有出头日
Explanation: fortune comes to each in turn
Example: they say that e but mine seems a very long time coming.
14. Every potter praises his own pot.
王婆买瓜,自卖自夸
Explanation: people are loath to refer to defects in their possessions or their family members
Example: he said that his teacher considered his work brilliant, but I would rather hear it from his teacher’s own mouth. Every potter praises his own pot.
相关阅读 :
新东方上海 优能中学网 :
中学全科课程 :
新东方上海 2013年12月四六级答案 :
新东方上海 节日英语:
上海新东方学校 英语资讯&:
(责任编辑:Lynne)
新东方培训机构提供、英语、、、 、、、,等等课程的学习。课程多,分类细,方便大家的选择。满足不同阶段的学习需求。
上海新东方学校
更多文章推荐
相关文章导读英语口语900句:和雨相关的习语
【网络综合 - 英语口语】无忧考网英语口语频道为大家整理的英语口语900句:和雨相关的习语,供大家参考:)我们今天要讲的几个习惯用语都包括rain这个词。大家知道rain是下雨的意思。雨水是地上万物赖以生存的东西;生命少不了它。但雨水并不老是受人欢迎的,有时天公不作美,在不该下雨的时候偏偏下起雨来了。这就产生了我们要学的第一个习惯用法: raincheck 。Raincheck这个习惯用法来自美国的棒球比赛。如果在棒球正赛到一半的时候下起雨来了,球员和球迷们都只得赶忙找地方躲雨。要是这场雨下个没完没了,那就只好取消比赛了。在球迷们离开赛场的时候,他们会拿到一种特殊的票子,叫做raincheck, 凭这张raincheck他们可以免费再一次入场观看比赛。Raincheck虽然来自棒球赛,但是逐渐被广泛应用到其它地方去,例如商界。比方说,一家商店减价出售电视机,由于价廉物美,那家店的电视机很可能特价期还没结束就已被抢购一空了。在这种情况下商店会给那些惋惜失之交臂的顾客rainchecks,答应在商店进货后以同样的低价卖给他们电视机。换句话说是给顾客第二次享受特价的机会。Raincheck这个习惯用法也适用于社交生活。举例来说,一个人邀请一位朋友出去吃饭,但是被邀的那位今晚不巧另有约会,而他却相当喜欢请客的这位,也希望能再有和他交往的机会。那么他就可以这样说:例句-1:I'd love to go out with you, Ben. I'm sorry, I'm busy tonight but I hope you'll give me a raincheck .他说:Ben,我很想跟你一块儿出去,真抱歉我今晚没空,但是我希望你能推迟我们的约会。可见这儿的you'll give me a raincheck,意思是你会过些时候再次约我。 Raincheck就是延迟到下一次再进行他们的约会。******我们再来学一个由rain这个词组成的习惯用语: right as rain 。Right不是生词。它解释正确的。Right as rain这个习惯用语来自英国。英国是湿润的海洋性气候,所以一年到头'能指望有充沛的雨水。换句话说,在那儿雨水是最丰富充实,担保不会短缺的东西。那么right as rian是什么意思呢?我们听个例子来推敲,说话的是刚出院回家的人。例句-2:I was in the hospital for two weeks after the operation. I felt pretty sick but now I'm back home and this morning I woke up feeling right as rain for the first time in years.他说:他在手术后住了两星期医院,当时只觉得病恹恹的。但现在他已经出院回家。今儿早上一觉醒来他觉得一切正常、精力充沛,几年来从没有过这样良好的感觉。他出院回家身体康复,一反以往病病歪歪的状况,可见这里的 right as rian意思是一切正常、状况良好 。******我们再来学个由rain组成的习惯用语。刚才说过rain虽然是万物生长之本,但是下雨天却也会令人不胜烦恼,给人带来不少麻烦。由此而产生了这个习惯用语: rainy day 。Rainy是由rain发展成的形容词。意思是"下雨的,"所以rainy day当然是下雨天。但是习惯用语rainy day是用作比喻意义的。人生的道路不会总是阳光普照。中国俗话说天有不测风云、人有旦夕祸福。意思是生活难免像天气一般变化无常;有时会乌云密布、阴雨连绵,也就是发生挫折和患难。而rainy day指的就是这种艰难困苦时期。让我们来听个例子。例句-3:When I got a big bonus from the office, I thought about taking a long vacation in California. But I decided instead to put the money in the bank for a rainy day when I really need it.他说:当我从办公室得到一大笔奖金的时候,我原来想去加州度一次长假,但是后来决定把钱存进银行以防万一,有急难的时候会用得着的。所以这儿的rainy day指的是困难时期。趣味英语高瞻远瞩放眼全球
每天学英语
想进步,请坚持参与每天学英语活动!
每天一词:
最新社区精华帖子
走遍美国教学版
哈利学前班[英语儿歌]
海绵宝宝 英文版
风中的女王第1季
经典学习方法
文章资料目录导航

免责声明:本站只提供资源播放平台,如果站内部分资源侵犯您的权益,请您告知,我们会立即处理。
Copyright &