among theall the boys ...

11 year-old Beau batters down boundaries to beat all the boys (& men)!
| LinkedIn
Beau Greaves (in the picture above alongside 'The voice of Darts' Russ Bray, after her Darts Factor audition), an 11 year-old primary school girl from Doncaster has an extraordinary talent in a sport that one would rarely imagine a primary schoolgirl to consider playing.
When I write the word 'talent', it really doesn't do Beau's unprecedented and record breaking achievements justice at all.
Having played the sport for only&nine months, Beau has already reached the Welsh Open Youth final and Winmau World youth final (both under 18 bracket), becoming the youngest ever player in both cases. However, what she achieved in her Darts Factor audition eclipsed even those accolades.
As she strolled in among the best under 23 year-old players in the world - all male apart from herself: England Youth I World Youth Championship Winners and current PDC Professionals were all there to compete and audition.
Not only did she wipe the floor with every other player there, she also recorded a 3 dart average of 112 in a fifteen dart challenge (total score of 563). Just to exemplify the magnitude of Beau's achievement, the highest ever Darts World Championship average is 111 - set by Phil 'The Power' Taylor.... Further, in 2012, the qualifiers for the Male Senior UK Open through the same challenge set by the sponsoring company Speedy Hire set are here: .
Names of professional players such as Conan 'The Barbarian' Whitehead and Jamie 'Dizzy' Robinson, scoring 346 and 470, respectively. Both scores comfortably made it into the prestigious televised Major tournament, 'Dizzy's score of 470 (94 average) is
alas, it is still almost 100 points behind Beau.
A score of 118 from 15 darts by current PDC professional Steve Douglas was eclipsed by Beau in just three of her 15 darts (sorry Steve - you are still one of my favourite people in Darts!)
There will be significant coverage of this week's episode as Beau and her older brother Taylor audition in front of the judges. We are taking a sport out if its comfort zone and into the reality TV format and to say that the players have never been in this situation before, what is witnessed is truly wonderful. All is shot as live and there are no camera tricks and a plethora of open-mouthed, 'gobsmacked' onlookers, including legendary judges, 3 time&PDC World Championship finalist&Peter 'One Dart' M 'The Iceman' Alan W 3 time Ladies'&World Champion, Anastasia Dobromyslova. All MC'd by&the "Voice of Darts" Russ Bray.
The aforementioned episode in which Beau sets this&unbelievable benchmark and beats her nearest rival&by over 60 points is coming up this week on Showcase (Sky Channel 192) on Wednesday evening at 8pm and Thursday at 6pm.
The Darts Factor has brought out young superstars of all ages, from all over the UK and Europe. Davy-Jay from Derby is 7 years of age and has already hit a 180 in a competitive match and played for his county at youth level. Both players throw from the same distance as the men - they are out of this world.
Both Beau and Davy-Jay are a step (or throw) closer to the Darts Factor title and playing on stage at the Ally Pally during the PDC World Darts Championship.
Two episodes into this absorbing and somewhat ground-breaking series, we are still to attain a series/shirt sponsor and suggestions are most welcomed!
Here is the third quarter of this week's hour long show, wherein we meet 'dangerous' Davy-Jay: Knowles (7 mins 20 secs in); the three time World Champion John Lowe also stars: &Looking for more of the latest headlines on LinkedIn?下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
1.75亿学生的选择
than in Shanghaibetter than minethe bestin AsiaAmong all the boys
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码中国最具影响力高考资源门户
最近更新: 1981 昨天: 3964 本周: 164062 总量:
今日:696套
总数:5174647套
会员数:131942位
当前位置:全国大联考
河南省柘城四高学年高二下学期期中考试英语试题
资料类别: /
所属版本: 通用
所属地区: 河南
上传时间:
下载次数:3次
资料类型:期中考试
文档大小:25.40K
所属点数: 0.1点
【下载此资源需要登录并付出 0.1 点,】
资料概述与简介
柘城四高学年度下期期中考试
高二英语试题
第一节:语法和词汇知识(共15小题;每小题2分,满分30分)
1. You can’t legally _____ the property until three weeks after the agreement is signed.
A. hold on to
B. catch hold of
C. take possession of
D. adapt to
2. I’m not patient enough to sit for a whole morning, just ______ a word puzzle.
A. solve 
B. to solve  
C. to be solving 
D. to have solved
3. ---Fang Yong-gang was given ______ honor of being one of the 10 yearly figures in China, 2007.
---Thats really ________ great encouragement to those serving in the army.
D. 不填; the
4. His uncle _____ until he was thirty-five.
A. married
B. was married
C. didn’t marry
D. would marry
5. ----The boss expressed his satisfaction with your wonderful work.
----Really? I ____ better under more favorable conditions.
A. could do
B. should do
C. must have done
D. could have done
6. The activists insisted that their leader of their fight for freedom _____ the law and that he _____set free at once.
A. not break, be
B. hadn’t break, be
C. didn’t break, should be
D. hadn’t break, would be
7. It is not unusual for workers in that region_______.
A. to be paid more than a month late
B. to be paid later than more a month
C. to pay later than a month more
D. to pay later more than a month
8. A NASA experimental jet, the X-43A, flew at a world-record speed---11,260 kilometres an hour on November 17. This speed is ____ as that of sound.
A. as ten times fast
B. ten times so fast
C. ten times as fast
D. ten times faster
9. I’ll never trust such a man ______ you described.
C. whoever
10. Mrs. Smith is upset because her husband always absorbs himself totally _______ his work and ignores the rest of his family.
11. I think Peter is
to win the game among all the boys.
A.more likely
B.most likely
C.very likely
D.much likely
12. In ___________ Chinese culture, marriage decisions were often made by parents for their children.
A. traditional
B. historic
D. initial
13. The school rules state that no child ________ be allowed out of the school during the day, unless accompanied by an adult.
14. Can you ___ me a job when I get there? You know , I have to work in order to pay for my schooling .
A. provide
B. guarantee
15. ---- Can I put the book on ______ of the shelves?
----- No. You’d better put it where it was.
第二节 完形填空(共20小题;每小题2分,满分40分)
阅读下面短文,掌握其大意,然后从16—35各题所给的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出最佳选项
It is generally accepted that the experiences of the child in his first years largely determine his character and later personality. Every experience
the child something and the effects are
. "Upbringing" normally refers to the treatment and training of the child in the
.This is closely connected with the treatment and training of the
in school,
which is usually distinguished(区别)by the term "
In a society such as ours, both
and teachers are responsible for the chances provided for the development of the child, 22
upbringing and education depend on each other.
The ideas and practices of child upbringing are
from culture. Generally, the more rural the group, the
unchangeable the customs of child upbringing. In more technologically developed societies,childhood and adolescence(青春期)are likely to
a long time, resulting in more
for education and greater variety in
development.
Early upbringing in the home is naturally
both by the cultural pattern of the group and by the parents
and their aims.And the character of the child depends not only on upbringing and education but also on his or her
abilities.There are wide differences of intelligence and character even in children of the
Parents can find out what is normal in
32 ,mental and social development, by
to some of the many books
on scientific knowledge in these areas, or by
notes with friends and relatives who have children.
16. A. offers B. supplies C. teaches D. brings
17. A. losing B. winning C. reducing D. increasing
18. A. school B. home C. future D. past
19. A. society B. world C. child D. teacher
20. A. treatment B. training C. introduction D. education
21. A. students B. classmates C. parents D. friends
22. A. so that B. as if C. as soon as D. even though
23. A. similar B. same C. opposite D. different
24. A. more B. less C. most D. least
25. A. cover B. change C. spend D. take
26. A. chances B. difficulties C. questions D. tasks
27. A. career B. knowledge C. character D. health
28. A. damaged B. influenced C. stopped D. forgotten
29. A. study B. ability C. luck D. work
30. A. given B. brought C. named D. born
31. A. big B. small C. same D. new,
32. A. political B. physical C. chemical D. scientific
33. A. referring B. talking C. reporting D. sticking
34. A. fixed B. called C. based D. carried
35. A. taking B. comparing C. leaving D. writing
第三部分:阅读理解(共20小题,每题2.5分,满分50分)
阅读下列短文,从每题所给的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出最佳选项。
OUR PROMISE
Making your stay a complete success is our goal. Just let our manager on duty of front—desk staff know if any part of your stay isn’t satisfactory. We promise to make it right or you won’t pay for that part of your stay.
FORGET SOMETHING?
If you forget to pack any standard toiletry item(tooth brush,toothpaste,shaving cream,razor or comb),just call the front--desk and we’11 get you a free replacement(替代)right away.
PLEASE REUSE T H E TOWELS
We invite you to join with us to save water by using your towels(毛巾)more than once.
In addition to decreasing water and energy waste,you can help us reduce the amount of waste water that must be recycled within our community.
Please hang the towels up if you wish to take part in the program—if not,simply leave t hem on the floor.
We appreciate your help!
PLEASE CHANGE THE SHEETS TODAY
The Project Planet Program is an effort of this hotel to protect the environment through saving water and decreasing waste water. If you are staying with us more than one night,as part of the Project Planet Program,we will wash your sheets every three days.
If you would prefer not to take part in this program,simply hang this card on the outside of your door and sheets will be changed right away. As always sheets are automatically changed after every guest checks out.
We appreciate your help !
36. We can find this passage in a
in a hotel.
A. café bar
B. front—desk
C. fitness center
D. guest—room
37. If you forget your comb,you can
A. buy one in the hotel shop
B. replace one with a tooth brush
C. ask for one from the service center
D. go in person and get one at the front desk
38. Leaving the towels on the floor means
A. you want to take part in the program B. you want the room—maid to hang-it up
C. you need them collected and washed
D. you want to use them more than once
39. What is the Project Planes Program trying to do?
A. Make your bed sheets cleaner.
B. Work for a better environment.
C. Help guests checking out faster.
D. Persuade guests to stay longer
I’ve loved my mother’s desk since I was just tall enough to see above the top of it as Mother sat writing letters. Standing by her chair, looking at the ink bottle, pens, and white paper, I decided that the act of writing must be the most wonderful thing in the world.
Years later, during her final illness, Mother kept different things for my sister and brother. “But the desk,” she’d said again, “is for Elizabeth.”
I never saw her angry, never saw her cry. I knew she loved me. She showed it in action. But as a young girl, I wanted heart-to-heart talks between mother and daughter.
They never happened. And a gulf opened between us. I was “too emotional(易动感情的)”, but she lived “on the surface”.
As years passed and I had my own family, I loved my mother and thanked her for our happy family. I wrote to her in careful words and asked her to let me know in any way she chose that she did forgive(宽恕)me.
I posted the letter and waited for her answer. None came.
My hope turned to disappointment then little interest and, finally, peace—it seemed that nothing happened. I could not be sure that the letter had even got to Mother. I only knew that I had written it, and I could stop trying to make her into someone she was not.
Now the present of her desk told me, as she’d never been able to, that she was pleased that writing was my chosen work. I cleaned the desk carefully and found some papers inside—a photo of my father and a one-page letter, folded and refolded many times.
Give me an answer, my letter asks, in any way you choose. Mother, you always chose the act that speaks louder than words.
40. The writer began to love her mother’s desk _____________.
A. after Mother died
B. before she became a writer
C. when she was a child
D. when Mother gave it to her
41. The passage shows that_____________ .
A. Mother was cold on the surface but kind in her heart to her daughter
B. Mother was very serious about everything her daughter had done
C. Mother cared much about her daughter in words
D. Mother wrote to her daughter in careful words
42 The word “gulf” means ____________.
A. deep understanding between the old and the young
B. difficult ideas between the mother and the daughter
C. free talks between the mother and the daughter
D. part of the sea going far in land
43. What did Mother with her daughter’s letter asking for forgiveness?
A. She had never received the letter.
B. For years, she often talked about the letter.
C. She didn’t forgive her daughter at all in all her life.
D. She read the letter again and again before she died.
44. What’s the best title(题目)of the passage?
A. My Letter to Mother
B. Mother and Children
C. My Mother’s Desk
D. Talks Between Mother and Me
Rice plants normally grow well in still water. But most will die if they are completely underwater for more than four days. Now, researchers have identified a gene(基因)that helps rice survive longer underwater. They say the discovery will lead to new kinds of rice plants that can survive flooding, and therefore reach their final aim, ensuring more dependable food supplies.
Tests are now being done in Laos, Bangladesh and India. The researchers say experimental rice plants with the gene have survived underwater as long as two weeks. When flooding happens, most kinds of rice plants cannot get enough oxygen, carbon dioxide or sunlight. But the scientists say crop loss depends on several conditions. These include soil conditions and plant age. Others include the amount of time the plant is underwater and the amount of fertilizer(肥料)used on the crop.
On a genetic(遗传的)map of rice, the scientists became interested in a group of three genes. They experimented with one of them, a gene known as Sub-One-A. They found that when this gene becomes very active, it improves the ability of rice to survive longer when rice is covered by water. They believe it succeeds because it affects the reaction to hormones(荷尔蒙). They control the ability of a flooded plant to survive. Placing the gene into rice plants that are especially good for conditions in India, researchers say the genetically engineered plants not only survived but also produced good crops.
The researchers are now trying to identify all the genes governed by the Sub-One-A gene. Being able to leave water on rice plants for an additional week might also help farmers prevent the growth of weeds. Less weed growth around their crops would mean less need for herbicide(除草剂)chemicals.
45. Crop loss depends on all the following conditions EXCEPT _______.
A. soil conditions and plant age
B. the amount of water the plant stands in
C. the amount of fertilizer used on the crop
D. the amount of time the plant is underwater
46. What is the final aim of this research?
A. To identify the gene that helps rice survive underwater.
B. To increase the ability of rice to fight against floods.
C. To help farmers spend less time removing weeds.
D. To make sure of enough food supplies.
47. What does the underlined word “They” in Paragraph 3 refer to?
B. The experiments.
C. Genetically engineered plants.
D. Hormones.
48. What would be the best title for the passage?
A. Rice research is going on in Laos and India
B. How to reduce the influence of floods on rice
C. Gene researchers work on flood-resistant rice
D. A great discovery in the agricultural field
When you come to America, youll find that the American word for many things is not the same as the English one. For example, a cinema is “the movies", sweets are “candy", a tin is a “can" and instead of posting a letter you “mail" it. After an Englishman has “phoned" you, he will “ring off", after an American has “called" you, he will “hang up".
When you arrive in New York, you first see the Statue of Liberty, it’s 93 maters tall and forty people can stand inside its head. Then you may see the Rockefeller Centre, which cost 100 million dollars to build and has 13,000 telephones in it. Its hanging gardens are four times the size of the famous hanging gardens of Babylon that were one of the seven Wonders of the ancient world. The Empire State Building, 102 storeys, more than one thousand feet high, is the highest man-made thing in the world.
The streets in New York, instead of streets wandering and twisting as they do in London, are all regular and planned. The streets running north and south are called “avenues" and are numbered, e. g. 1 st Avenue, 2nd Avenue, etc. The streets going east and west are called “streets” and also numbered, e. g. 51st Street, 63rd Street, etc.
The United States is a big place, as one American said, “Yon can leave New York, fly twice as far as from London to Moscow, and find yourself still in America."
49. If an American says “an elevator", in England, people say “_________”.
were one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world.
A. The hanging gardens of Rockefeller
B. The Statue of Liberty
C. The Empire State Building
D. The hanging gardens of Babylon
51. The street in New York are ____________.
A. wandering and twisting
B. straight
C. not regular and planned
D. narrow and winding
Charles Chaplin, who died in 1977, is considered one of the greatest and funniest actors in the history of the cinema. During his lifetime, he acted in 13 films, and he wrote, directed and acted in 69 other films.
Chaplin was born in London in 1889.When a poor boy, he was often seen waiting outside the London theatres, hoping to get work in show business. He could sing and dance, and above all, he knew how to make people laugh. But he couldnt get work and therefore wandered about the city streets. Sometimes he was sent away to a home for children who had not parents.
Charlie Chaplin first acted when he was five. He broke into show business because his mother, a music-hall performer, lost her voice during the performance and had to leave the stage, and Charlie went on and sang a well-known song. Halfway through the song a shower of money poured onto the stage. Charlie stopped singing and told audiences he would pick the money first and then finish the song. The audiences laughed. This was the first of millions of laughs in Charlie Chaplins fabulous career(神话般的生涯).
Twenty years later the same Chaplin became the greatest and best loved comedian in the world. His dream came true in the end. Chaplin became world-famous and almost a king in the world of the film.
Even people who dont understand English can enjoy Chaplins films because they are mostly silent. The equipment for adding sound to films had not yet been developed. The development of films with sound became a problem for Chaplin, as he was uncertain about making films with dialogues. Instead, he continued to make films without dialogue, but he added music, which he wrote himself. It isnt what he says that makes us laugh. His comedy doesnt depend on words. It depends on little actions which mean the same thing to people the world over.
Chaplins later films, however, were not well received. Chaplin lived most of his life in America and the last years in Switzerland, where he was buried at Christmas 1977, at the age of eighty-eight. There was sadness all over the world at the news of his death.
In his book, Chaplin tells us how to succeed in life. He says, “You have to believe in yourself. Thats the secret.”
52. Chaplin is regarded as king of comedy mainly because _______.
A. he acted out the common human situations best in his comedy
B. he could sing and dance well
C. he knew how to make people laugh
D. lots of people have seen his films
53. What makes people laugh in Chaplins films?
A. It isnt his words but his actions
B. Neither his words nor actions
C. Either his words or his actions
D. Not only his words but also his actions
54. The only secret of Charles Chaplins huge success is that _______.
A. he can make all people, men and women, old and young laugh
B. he has full trust in himself
C. he is always active and hard-working all his life
D. though he is always in trouble, he never loses heart
55. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage?
A. He was too shy to meet the managers of the theatres.
B. People wont stop laughing until tears run down Chaplins face.
C. People all over the world can enjoy Chaplins films without translation because most of them are silent.
D. He wouldnt like to work at the theatre.
第四部分:写作(共两节,满分35分)
短文改错(共10小题;每小题1分,满分10分)
此题要求改正所给短文中的错误. 对标题号的每一行做出判断:如无错误,在该行右边的横线上划(√);如有错误(每行只有一个错误),则按下列情况改正:
此行多一个词:把多余的词用斜线划掉,在该行右边横线上写出该词,并也用斜线划掉。
此行缺一个词:在缺词处加一个漏字符号(^),在该行右边横线上写出该加的词。
此行错一个词:在错的词下划一横线,在该行右边横线上写出改正后的词。
注意:原行没有错的不要改。
Music is the international language. The songs sung or
playing by instruments are beautiful to people everywhere.
Popular music in America is that every student likes.
Students carry small radios with earphones, but listen to
music before class, after class, and at lunch.
There are other kinds music that are important to
Americans. One is called folk music, it tells stories about
common life of Americans. Another is called western or
country music, started by cowboys whom would sing to the
cows they were watching out. Today, any music about the
love between a country boy and his girl friend is called western or country music
书面表达(满分25分)
假设你是艾学习,上个星期天去市图书馆看书时发现以下问题,你写信向馆长Mr. Wang反映:
1. 实用性的书、新书太少; 2. 书架上的书比较混乱; 3. 阅览室的光线对视力有害;
4. 管理员工作时彼此闲聊。
1. 词数:100左右; 2. 可适当增加细节,以使行文连贯;
3. 信的开头和结尾已经为你写好,不计入总词数。
Dear Mr. Wang,
Last Sunday, I went to do some reading in your library.
So, for the sake of readers, I suggest that you change all those mentioned as soon as possible.
6-10 BACDB
11-15 BACBD
16-20 CDBCD
21-25 CADAA
26-30 ACBBD
31-35 CBACB
36-39 DCCB
40-44 CBDDD
45-48 BDDC
52-55 AABC
56.the→ an
57.playing→ played
58.that→ what
59.but→ and
61.kinds后加of
62.it→ which
63.common前加the
64.whom→ who
65.去掉out
One possible version:
Dear Mr. Wang,
Last Sunday, I went to do some reading in your library. Over the time I was there, I found something unpleasant. Therefore, I’d like to voice my opinions, which, I hope, would be useful for you to create a more comfortable place for readers.
First, there are few new and practical books on the shelves, and most books are not popular today. Second, some books are not sorted in proper order, making it difficult for readers to find what they want quickly. Third, the assistants didn’t offer good services. Instead, they were always chatting. In addition, poor light in the reading room is bad for eyes.
So, for the sake of readers, I suggest that you change all those mentioned as soon as possible.
该会员上传的其它文档
已有&0&条评论,共有&0&人参与,
网友评论:
合作 / 友情链接

我要回帖

更多关于 all the boys 的文章

随机推荐