一个和以往任何时候都爱
请登录后再发表评论!
one and ever love 唯一的挚爱 
请登录后再发表评论!
One and ever love: 唯一的爱
请登录后再发表评论!
一个和以往任何时候都爱
请登录后再发表评论!
rom newspapers, by reporting a donkey show here or a I had earned a few pounds by addressing envelopes,reading to old ladies, making artificial flowers, teaching the alphabetto small children in a kindergarten. Such were the chief occupationsthat were open to women before 1918. I need not, I am afraid, describein any detail the hardness of the work, for you know perhaps women who nor the difficulty of living on the money when it wasearned, for you may have tried. But what still remains with me as aworse infliction than either was the poison of fear and bitterness whichthose days bred in me. To begin with, always to be doing work that onedid not wish to do, and to do it like a slave, flattering and fawning,not always necessarily perhaps, but it seemed necessary and the stakeswere to and then the thought of that one gift whichit was death to hide--a small one but dear to the possessor--perishingand with it my self, my soul,--all this became like a rust eating awaythe bloom of the spring, destroying the tree at its heart. However, as Isay, and whenever I change a ten-shilling note a little ofthat rust and corrosion is rubbed off, fear and bitterness go. Indeed, Ithought, slipping the silver into my purse, it is remarkable,remembering the bitterness of those days, what a change of temper afixed income will bring about. No force in the world can take from me myfive hundred pounds. Food, house and clothing are mine forever.Therefore not merely do effort and labour cease, but also hatred andbitterness. I n he cannot hurt me. I need not he has nothing to give me. So imperceptibly I foundmyself adopting a new attitude towards the other half of the human race.It was absurd to blame any class or any sex, as a whole. Great bodies ofpeople are never responsible for what they do. They are driven byinstincts which are not within their control. They too, the patriarchs,the professors, had endless difficulties, terrible drawbacks to contendwith. Their education had been in some ways as faulty as my own. It hadbred in them defects as great. True, they had money and power, but onlyat the cost of harbouring in their breasts an eagle, a vulture, forevertearing the liver out and plucking at the lungs--the instinct forpossession, the rage for acquisition which drives them to desire otherpeople's fields a to makebattle to offer up their own lives and theirchildren's lives. Walk through the Admiralty Arch (I had reached thatmonument), or any other avenue given up to trophies and cannon, andreflect upon the kind of glory celebrated there. Or watch in the springsunshine the stockbroker and the great barrister going indoors to makemoney and more money and more money when it is a fact that five hundredpounds a year will keep one alive in the sunshine. These are unpleasantinstincts to harbour, I reflected. They are bred of the conditions of of the lack of civilization, I thought, looking at the statue ofthe Duke of Cambridge, and in particular at the feathers in his cockedhat, with a fixity that they have scarcely ever received before. And, asI realized these drawbacks, by degrees fear and bitterness modifiedthemselves into and then in a year or two, pity andtoleration went, and the greatest release of all came, which is freedomto think of things in themselves. That building, for example, do I likeit or not? Is that picture beautiful or not? Is that in my opinion agood book or a bad? Indeed my aunt's legacy unveiled the sky to me, andsubstituted for the large and imposing figure of a gentleman, whichMilton recommended for my perpetual adoration, a view of the open sky.So thinking, so speculating I found my way back to my house by theriver. Lamps were being lit and an indescribable change had come overLondon since the morning hour. It was as if the great machine afterlabouring all day had made with our help a few yards of something veryexciting and beautiful--a fiery fabric flashing with red eyes, a tawnymonster roaring with hot breath. Even the wind seemed flung like a flagas it lashed the houses and rattled the hoardings.In my little street, however, domesticity prevailed. The house painterwas d the nursemaid was wheeling the perambulatorcarefully in and out the coal-heaver was foldinghis empty sacks
the woman who keeps the greengrocer's shop was adding up the day's takings with her hands in redmittens. But so engrossed was I with the problem you have laid upon myshoulders that I could not see even these usual sights without referringthem to one centre. I thought how much harder it is now than it musthave been even a century ago to say which of these em ployments is thehigher, the more necessary. Is it better to be a coal-heaver or a is the charwoman who has brought up eight children of lessvalue to the world than, the barrister who has made a hundred thousandpounds?  it is useless t for nobody can answerthem. Not only do the comparative values of charwomen and lawyers riseand fall from decade to decade, but we have no rods with which tomeasure them even as they are at the moment. I had been foolish to askmy professor to furnish me with 'indisputable proofs' of this or that inhis argument about women. Even if one could state the value of any onegift at the moment, thos in a century's time verypossibly they will have changed completely. Moreover, in a hundredyears, I thought, reaching my own doorstep, women will have ceased to bethe protected sex. Logically they will take part in all the activitiesand exertions that were once denied them. The nursemaid will heave coal.The shopwoman will drive an engine. All assumptions founded on the factsobserved when women were the protected sex will have disappeared--as,for example (here a squad of soldiers marched down the street), thatwomen and clergymen and gardeners live longer than other people. Removethat protection, expose them to the same exertions and activities, makethem soldiers and sailors and engine-drivers and dock labourers, andwill not women die off so much younger, so much quicker, than men thatone will say, 'I saw a woman to-day', as one used to say, 'I saw anaeroplane'. Anything may happen when womanhood has ceased to be aprotected occupation, I thought, opening the door. But what bearing hasall this upon the subject of my paper, Women and Fiction? I asked, goingindoors.THREEIt was disappointing not to have brought back in the evening someimportant statement, some authentic fact. Women are poorer than menbecause--this or that. Perhaps now it would be better to give up seekingfor the truth, and receiving on one's head an avalanche of opinion hotas lava, discoloured as dish-water. It would be better to draw the to s to narrow theenquiry and to ask the historian, who records not opinions but facts, todescribe under what conditions women lived, not throughout the ages, butin England, say, in the time of Elizabeth.For it is a perennial puzzle why no woman wrote a word of thatextraordinary literature when every other man, it seemed, was capable ofsong or sonnet. What were the conditions in which women lived? I asked for fiction, imaginative work that is, is not dropped like apebble upon the ground, fiction is like a spider'sweb, attached ever so lightly perhaps, but still attached to life at allfour corners. Often the attachment is Shakespeare's plays, for instance, seem to hang there complete bythemselves. But when the web is pulled askew, hooked up at the edge,torn in the middle, one remembers that these webs are not spun inmid-air by incorporeal creatures, but are the work of suffering humanbeings, and are attached to grossly material things, like health andmoney and the houses we live in.I went, therefore, to the shelf where the histories stand and took downone of the latest, Professor Trevelyan's HISTORY OF ENGLAND. Once more Ilooked up Women, found 'position of' and turned to the pages indicated.'Wife-beating', I read, 'was a recognized right of man, and waspractised without shame by high as well as low. . . . Similarly,' thehistorian goes on, 'the daughter who refused to marry the gentleman ofher parents' choice was liable to be locked up, beaten and flung aboutthe room, without any shock being inflicted on public opinion. Marriagewas not an affair of personal affection, but of family avarice,particularly in the &chivalrous& upper classes. . . . Betrothal oftentook place while one or both of the parties was in the cradle, andmarriage when they were scarcely out of the nurses' charge.' That wasabout 1470, soon after Chaucer's time. The next reference to theposition of women is some two hundred years later, in the time of theStuarts. 'It was still the exception for women of the upper and middleclass to choose their own husbands, and when the husband had beenassigned, he was lord and master, so far at least as law and customcould make him. Yet even so,' Professor Trevelyan concludes, 'neitherShakespeare's women nor those of authentic seventeenth-century memoirs,like the Verneys and the Hutchinsons, seem wanting in personality andcharacter.' Certainly, if we consider it, Cleopatra must have had a way Lady Macbeth, one would suppose, hRosalind, one might conclude, was an attractive girl. ProfessorTrevelyan is speaking no more than the truth when he remarks thatShakespeare's women do not seem wanting in personality and character.Not being a historian, one might go even further and say that women haveburnt like beacons in all the works of all the poets from the beginningof time--Clytemnestra, Antigone, Cleopatra, Lady Macbeth, Phedre,Cressida, Rosalind, Desdemona, the Duchess of Malfi, among the then among the prose writers: Millamant, Clarissa, BeckySharp, Anna Karenina, Emma Bovary, Madame de Guermantes--the names flockto mind, nor do they recall women 'lacking in personality andcharacter.' Indeed, if woman had no existence save in the fictionwritten by men, one would imagine her a person of t infinitely beautifuland hi as great as a man, some think evengreater [1*]. But this is woman in fiction. In fact, as ProfessorTrevelyan points out, she was locked up, beaten and flung about the room.[1* 'It remains a strange and almost inexplicable fact that in Athena'scity, where women were kept in almost Oriental suppression asodalisques or drudges, the stage should yet have produced figures likeClytemnestra and Cassandra Atossa and Antigone, Phedre and Medea, andall the other heroines who dominate play after play of the &misogynist&Euripides. But the paradox of this world where in real life arespectable woman could hardly show her face alone in the street, andyet on the stage woman equals or surpasses man, has never beensatisfactorily explained. In modern tragedy the same predominanceexists. At all events, a very cursory survey of Shakespeare's work(similarly with Webster, though not with Marlowe or Jonson) suffices toreveal how this dominance, this initiative of women, persists fromRosalind to Lady Macbeth. So too in R six of his tragedies beartheir heroines' and what male characters of his shall we setagainst Hermione and Andromaque, Berenice and Roxane, Phedre andAthalie? So again with I what men shall we match with Solveig andNora, Heda and Hilda Wangel and Rebecca West?'--F. L. LUCAS, TRAGEDY,pp. 114-15.]A very queer, composite being thus emerges. Imaginatively she is of the practically she is completely insignificant. Shepervades poetry she is all but absent from history.She dominates the lives of kings and c in fact shewas the slave of any boy whose parents forced a ring upon her finger.Some of the most inspired words, some of the most profound thoughts inliteratur in real life she could hardly read, couldscarcely spell, and was the property of her husband.It was certainly an odd monster that one made up by reading thehistorians first and the poets afterwards--a worm the spirit of life and beauty in a kitchen chopping up suet. But thesemonsters, however amusing to the imagination, have no existence in fact.What one must do to bring her to life was to think poetically andprosaically at one and the same moment, thus keeping in touch withfact--that she is Mrs Martin, aged thirty-six, dressed in blue, wearinga black but not losing sight of fictioneither--that she is a vessel in which all sorts of spirits and forcesare coursing and flashing perpetually. The moment, however, that onetries this method with the Elizabethan woman, one branch of illumination one is held up by the scarcity of facts. One knows nothingdetailed, nothing perfectly true and substantial about her. Historyscarcely mentions her. And I turned to Professor Trevelyan again to seewhat history meant to him. I found by looking at his chapter headingsthat it meant----'The Manor Court and the Methods of Open-field Agriculture . . . TheCistercians and Sheep-farming . . . The Crusades . . . The University. . . The House of Commons . . . The Hundred Years' War . . . The Wars ofthe Roses . . . The Renaissance Scholars . . . The Dissolution of theMonasteries . . . Agrarian and Religious Strife . . . The Origin ofEnglish Sea-power. . . The Armada. . .' and so on. Occasionally anindividual woman is mentioned, an Elizabeth, or a M a queen or agreat lady. But by no possible means could middle-class women withnothing but brains and character at their command have taken part in anyone of the great movements which, brought together, constitute thehistorian's view of the past. Nor shall we find her in  collection ofanecdotes. Aubrey hardly mentions her. She never writes her own lifeand sc there are only a handful of her lettersin existence. She left no plays or poems by which we can judge her. Whatone wants, I thought--and why does not some brilliant student at Newnhamor Girton supply it?--is a at what age did she how many childr what was her house like, hads di would she be likely tohave a servant? All these facts lie somewhere, presumably, in parishregiste the life of the average Elizabethan womanmust be scattered about somewhere, could one collect it and make a bookof it. It would be ambitious beyond my daring, I thought, looking aboutthe shelves for books that were not there, to suggest to the students ofthose famous colleges that they should rewrite history, though I ownthat it often seems a little queer as it is, unreal, lop- but whyshould they not add a supplement to history, calling it, of course, bysome inconspicuous name so that women might figure there withoutimpropriety? For one often catches a glimpse of them in the lives of thegreat, whisking away into the back ground, concealing, I sometimesthink, a  wink, a laugh, perhaps a tear. And, after all, we have livesenough of Jane A it scarcely seems necessary to consider again theinfluence of the tragedies of Joanna Baillie upon the poetry of EdgarAllan P as for myself, I should not mind if the homes and haunts ofMary Russell Mitford were closed to the
请登录后再发表评论!
一个和以往任何时候都爱
请登录后再发表评论!Invest | Definition of Invest by Merriam-Webster
in·vest
\in-'vest\
[Medieval Latin investire, from Latin, to clothe]
to array in the symbols of office or honor b
to furnish with power or authority c
to grant someone control or authority over :
to cover completely :
[Middle French investir, from Old Italian investire, from Latin, to surround]
to surround with troops or ships so as to prevent escape or entry5
to endow with a quality :
Origin and Etymology of invest
Latin investire to clothe, surround, from in- + vestis garment
— more at
First Known Use: circa 1534
in·vest
to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return2
to make use of for future benefits or advantages &invested her time wisely&3
to involve or engage especially emotionally &were deeply invested in their children's lives&
to make an investable \-'ves-t?-b?l\
adjective investor \-t?r\
Italian investire to clothe, invest money, from Latin, to clothe
First Known Use: 1613
Rhymes with invest
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Phrases related to INVEST
Related Phrases
INVEST Defined for Kids
in·vest
\in-'vest\
investedinvesting
to give power or authority to
in·vest
investedinvesting
to put out money in order to gain profit &She invested in a business.& 2
to put out (as effort) in support of a usually worthy cause &We invested time in the project.&investor \-'ves-t?r\
Medical Dictionary
transitive verb
in·vest
\in-'vest\
to envelop or cover completely &the pleura invests the lung&2:
to endow with a quality or characteristic &the paranoid personality who invests the external world with his…ideas and feelings—Structure & Meaning of Psychoanalysis&
Law Dictionary
transitive verb
in·vest
\in-'vest\
to install in an office or position 2a
to furnish with or formally grant power or authority b
to grant someone control or authority over
Medieval Latin investire, from Latin, to clothe, from in- in + vestis garment
in·vest
to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return 2
to make use of for future benefits or advantages
to commit funds or purchase something of intrinsic value for future gain
make an investment —often used with in
Italian investire to clothe, invest money, from Latin, to clothe
Learn More about invest
Thesaurus:
Medical Dictionary:
Spanish Central:
Britannica English:
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up invest? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
marked by an air of assumed importance
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Take a 3-minute break and test your skills!
Test your visual vocabulary with our 10-question challenge!
Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
Word Games当前位置: &
fully furnished是什么意思
中文翻译家私电器齐:&&&&adv. 充分地,完全地;足足;至少。 be fully ...:&&&&vt. 1.供给,供应,提供。 2.装备,布置,装修(房 ...
例句与用法As you can see , it ' s fully furnished就如你所看到的,家具一应俱全。 This apartment is fully furnished unfurnished fully equipped这套公寓家具齐备不带家具设旅齐全。 The wedding won ' t be for a few more months , not until our new house is ready and fully furnished几个月后要举行婚礼,到时我们的新房也布置好了。 Description : hdb approved . high - floor 3 + 1 rooms , fully furnished with aircon in all rooms , can move - in政府批准全间出租,环境好,高楼层,全家具、电器、冷气,随时可迁入。 207 fully furnished guest rooms which includes 22 suites , executive floor and private lounge , non - smoking rooms . in - room personal safe , broad band network , mini bar and pay - movie207套客房分为华骏套房豪华套房豪华双人间标准间等,色调安逸雅致,特配高速宽频上网及数位电视。 Property description : ten - unit apartment building located at address in the western city of anytown . the building was completed last year and is fully furnished , but is still totally vacant房产描述:在某某城市某某街道的这栋楼有10户。这栋楼是去年竣工的,也装修好了。但是还没有入住。 All the units are with modern design , fully furnished with italian style light color furniture , large windows and large living rooms , good standard bathrooms and kitchens东环广场的所有公寓都是经过精心设计完成,配备有意大利风格的浅颜色家具,飘窗设计,起居室空间充足,高标准的厨卫配置。 90 per week for a single room . the fees without the electricity , phone and internet . fully furnished , excluding the room ( with air condition ) . no pets please单人房,通风好。一星期$ 90澳币。包括水费,但不包电费,电话费以及宽带网络费用。除卧室以外,屋内包括家电家具(有空调) 。不允许养宠物。 Room intro hotel has 205 comfortable rooms suite of various kinds , having advanced equipm - ent . it is decorated elegantly and fully furnished . staly in the hotel and enjoy its elegance and romance酒店拥有各种规格标准房单人房高级商务房,豪华套房205间套,环境幽雅,装饰豪华,充满温馨。 Fully furnished bathrooms , the finest bed linens , and soft comfort settee , free adsl with unlimited internet access . every thought has been given to the guest s comfort and convenience in mind客房内皆有国际、市内及长途电话,并提供上网专用插座、宽频网路无限上网;让宾客享受我们最亲切的服务。 更多例句:&&1&&&&&&
相邻词汇热门词汇
fully furnished的中文翻译,fully furnished是什么意思,怎么用汉语翻译fully furnished,fully furnished的中文意思,发音,例句,用法和解释由查查在线词典提供,版权所有违者必究。
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Copyright &
(京ICP备号)
All rights reserved

我要回帖

更多关于 furnish 的文章

随机推荐