He was ill , as were other passe murangers.这句话中为什么不能直接说as other passe murangers?为什么要加be?

By Jacque Wilson, CNNJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 02:38 Family: Infected American "very physically weak, but his spirit (is) determined" CNN's Gupta: Curbing Ebola almost "impossible," but it can be containedPatrick Sawyer's family lives M he worked in Liberia and died in NigeriaHundreds have been infected with Ebola around AfricaPatrick Sawyer had one stop to make before heading home to Minnesota to celebrate his daughters' birthdays: a conference in Lagos, Nigeria. But when he landed in Lagos, Sawyer, 40, collapsed getting off the plane. He had been infected with
in Liberia, where he worked as a top government official in the Liberian Ministry of Finance. Sawyer was isolated at a local Nigerian hospital on July 20. He died five days later.JUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 03:54PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 01:44PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 03:28PLAY VIDEOSawyer's wife Decontee Sawyer, lives in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, with the couple's three young daughters, 5-year-old Eva, 4-year-old Mia, and Bella, who is 1. The Sawyers are
their daughters were born in the United States. "He was so proud when he became a U.S. citizen," Decontee told CNN. "He voted for first time in the last U.S. presidential election. He lived in the U.S. for many years, and wanted that for Liberia -- a better democracy." Sawyer had been caring for his Ebola-stricken sister in Liberia, Decontee said, though at the time he didn't know she had Ebola.Sawyer is the first American to die in what health officials are calling the "deadliest Ebola outbreak in history." His death has
that the virus could potentially spread to the United States."People weren't really taking it [Ebola] seriously until it hit Patrick," Decontee said. "People are ready to take action."Let's take a step back and look at what we know about the Ebola outbreak:Where is it happening?Up until this past week, the Ebola outbreak had been contained to three West African countries: Guinea, where it began, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Sawyer is the first known case outside of these three countries. , the World Health Organization had confirmed more than 800 Ebola cases in the region, but suspects there have been many unreported infections and there may be more like 1,200 cases. Sierra Leone has been hardest hit with approximately 525 cases. How many people have died?The World Health Organization says as of July 23, there have been 456 confirmed Ebola deaths, and another 216 suspected deaths, bringing the number possibly to more than 670. JUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 03:01PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 02:06PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 02:38PLAY VIDEOThe country of Guinea has the most suspected deaths. The epidemic has been in that country longer. It is believed the epidemic began in the nation's capital of Conakry.While international leaders have mobilized to fight the epidemic, it can be a difficult one to stop. It is so highly infectious that it typically kills 90% of those who catch it. The death rate in this particular outbreak had dropped to roughly 60% since it has been treated early in many instances. There is, however, no Ebola vaccination.Have other Americans been infected?Last week, two American aid workers in Liberia's capital city, Monrovia, were confirmed to have the disease. Doctors and medical staff are particularly vulnerable to the virus because it spreads through exposure to bodily fluids from the infected. It can also spread through contact with an object contaminated by an infected person's bodily fluids.Dr. Kent Brantly, a 33-year-old Fort Worth, Texas, resident, had been treating Ebola patients in Monrovia when he started to feel sick.Brantly works with Samaritan's Purse, a Christian international relief agency. He has been the medical director for the Ebola Consolidated Case Management Center in Monrovia and has been working to help Ebola patients since October. After testing positive for Ebola, Brantly went into treatment at ELWA Hospital.Samaritan's Purse has been working to evacuate him for better care, said Ken Isaacs, vice president of the agency. Unfortunately, emergency medical evacuation flights in the area are not equipped to handle the "intense isolation" required for an Ebola patient.Brantly's family had been with him in Liberia, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but left for the United States before h as such it is highly unlikely that they caught the virus from him. Out of an abundance of caution they are on a 21-day fever watch, the CDC said."We have a strong family unit within a stronger faith community that has given us incredible support," the Brantly family said in a statement. "Kent remains very physically weak, but his spirit has been determined throughout this ordeal."Nancy Writebol from Charlotte, North Carolina, has also been infected. She is employed by Serving in Mission, or SIM, and had teamed up with the staff from Samaritan's Purse to help fight the Ebola outbreak in Monrovia when she got sick. She, too, is undergoing treatment.It is believed one of the local staff was infected with Ebola and came to work with the virus on Monday and Tuesday, Isaacs told CNN. "We think it was in the scrub-down area where the disease was passed to both Nancy and Kent," he said. That staff member died on Thursday.Both Brantly and Writebol are stable, according to a statement released Tuesday by SIM, though both patients are still exhibiting symptoms of the virus."Due to the upsurge in cases of Ebola in the region, SIM and Samaritan's Purse have taken the precautionary step of mandating the evacuation of all nonessential personnel from Liberia," the statement said. "Timing, means, and place of evacuation are being decided now."Could Ebola spread to the U.S.?The CDC held a media briefing Monday to emphasize that there is "no significant risk" of an Ebola outbreak in the United States. There has never been a confirmed case of Ebola spreading to a developed country, said Kamiliny Kalahne, an epidemiologist with Doctors Without Borders."This is because people generally transmit the infection when they are very sick, have a high fever and a lot of symptoms -- and in these situations, they don't travel.JUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 03:01PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 04:11PLAY VIDEOJUST WATCHEDMUST WATCH 02:46PLAY VIDEO"And even if they do get sick once they travel to a developed country, they will be in a good hospital with good infection control, so they are very unlikely to infect others," she said.The U.S. health care system is also better suited to handle an Ebola case than many in West Africa, said Dr. Marty Cetron, director of CDC's Division of Global Migration and Quarantine. Health officials would likely recognize such a case and be able to trace all points of contact with the patient to prevent further transmission, he said. "Epidemics of disease are often followed by epidemics of fear and epidemics of stigma," Cetron said. "All of these things occur in a social context that can make containment very challenging."That said, Sawyer did end up on an airplane at an international airport: What's to say others might not do the same, and actually make it to the United States?Count CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta among those who believe "it's going to happen at some point." One big reason is that it takes 2 to 21 days between the time a person is infected and when he or she shows symptoms -- including vomiting, diarrhea, impaired kidney and liver function, and sometimes internal and external bleeding.
Ebola is not contagious until symptoms appear, though that doesn't mean a person cannot travel in the incubation period."Just observing the whole process, it's almost impossible to prevent from happening," Gupta said. "But I think ... it can be then stemmed, so it doesn't turn into all these mini-secondary outbreaks."What should I do?Avoiding these West African countries is the easiest way to prevent the outbreak from spreading, Cetron said. If you have traveled recently to the region and develop a fever, or other symptoms consistent with Ebola, notify your doctor right away.
If you're a humanitarian worker in the region, you need to be familiar with proper infection control precautions and avoid contact with blood or any other bodily fluids, he said. You should also report any needle sticks or possible exposures early to receive testing and, if necessary, start treatment as soon as possible. The Sawyer family is working with their church community to start "," Decontee said. Their goal is to raise $500,000 to help two international organizations: Samaritan's Purse and Global Health Ministry.How can those with the disease be helped?While experimental vaccines exist, there are no licensed ones that get widespread use, according to the World Health Organization. The disease can be devastating and, ultimately, deadly in a few ways. One is because it "disarms your immune system, (so it) cannot fight the virus," Gupta notes. Another is that it causes people to lose fluids, because of vomiting and diarrhea in addition to bleeding, as Ebola inhibits one's ability to clot, adds Gupta.The most important thing a person needs to do to survive is to get treated as early and effectively as possible.But that's not always easy in some parts of Africa, says Monia Sayah, a nurse with the humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders."We go into communities where we are not necessarily welcome, because they understand now that the survival rate is not very high," Sayah told CNN's Anderson Cooper. Sayah acknowledges that, in addition to immediate family members, health care workers are among those at highest risk of being infected. One need look no farther than Dr. Sheik Humarr Khan, a doctor who was on the front lines fighting the
outbreak in Sierra Leone before dying this week from complications of the disease.Health care workers don gowns, gloves and masks, among other measures, to guard against the disease."Every inch of the body has to be covered," Sayah said. "It's essential."Our Hearts Will Always Touch, Cancer Poem
Like us on Facebook!
Our Hearts Will Always Touch
I wrote this after I lost my Mum to Cancer. We only found out 7 weeks before she past away about the disease. I was alone with mum when she passed away. I feel honored that she felt comfortable and safe to go peacefully in my arms however the vision of her last breath will play on my mind forever. I miss my mum so very much....SO VERY MUCH. She was my world (just like she always used to say to me). I pray she is happy and safe and I pray even harder that we meet again. I have to see my beautiful mum again. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MUMSY..Always and Forever...your Narny...xx
A good friend of mine has been told she has two weeks to live. She has cancer. I hate cancer. She is a fighter. She says, "its' just a number, God is in control." I love that about her....
Advertisement
& Ranja Kujala
September 2007
Our Hearts Will Always Touch
When I laid there beside you,
Could you feel me there?
My arms were wrapped around you,
And I was stroking your hair.
I was talking about all the good times,
For me they were every single day.
I wanted you to feel love and comfort,
And happy in some way.
I watched your every breath,
And prayed that each one wasn't your last.
The time we got to share together,
Went by too quick...Too fast.
I wanted you to wake up,
Please Mum...Open your eyes.
Tell me this is a nightmare,
And not our goodbyes.
As your last breath grew closer,
We lay there peacefully together.
My heart continually breaking,
Because I wanted you forever.
Then there it was,
Your final breath of air.
I didn't want to believe it,
This is so cruel and not fair.
I held your beautiful face,
And prayed you'd breath again.
I wasn't ready for you to go,
I couldn't admit that this was the end.
But then I realized that you were now in peace,
And not suffering anymore.
You were beginning the life of an Angel,
And your body would no longer be sore.
I held you close and squeezed you tight,
And tried to say goodbye.
I've lost my Mum and my number one best friend,
All my heart could do is cry.
I slowly got up,
I wanted so much to stay.
I leaned over and gave you one more kiss,
It was so hard to walk away.
Mum you are my entire world,
And I miss you so very much.
I wish I could feel your loveable cuddle,
And your soft and gentle touch.
But for now I have to wait,
Until we meet again.
You will always be in my heart and thoughts,
My dear Mum and best friend.
Always and Forever,
Our hearts will always touch.
Always and Forever,
Your baby girl loves you so much.
Advertisement
Stories 97
Emailed 205
Rating 4.66
Stories 14
Emailed 54
Votes 1656
Stories 21
Emailed 50
Emailed 11
Emailed 13
Stories 84
Emailed 299
Votes 1442
Advertisement
All submissions are moderated before being published.
Short comments should be submitted using the
Check Your Spelling or your story will not be published!
Do not submit poems here, instead go to the .
* Indicates required fields
Not published
Between 50 - 1000 Characters
STOP! Did you spell check your story? Common Mistakes: the word "i" should be capitalized, "u" is not a word, and "im" is spelled "I'm" or "I am".
Help us stop spam
Email me when my story is published
Email me when new stories are published on this poem小题1:C小题2:A小题3:D小题4:C小题1:这是一道细节判断题。根据第二段“She was shocked, regained calmness and, in a kind voice, told the young Odland,‘It’s OK. It wasn’t your fault.”可以判断出这位女士没有责备他,而且还安慰他。小题2:这是一道细节判断题。根据第二段“When she left the restaurant, she also left the future Fortune 500 CEO with a life lesson: You can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she treats the waiter.”可以推断出Odland在当waiter的时候学到了这人生中的一课。小题3:这是一道推断题。根据第三段“It’s hard to get a dozen CEOs to agree about anything, but most agree with the Waiter Rule.”可以推断出大部分CEO都会同意“侍者规则”。小题4:这是一道。推理判断题。根据短文最后一段可知我们要尊敬所有的人,而不是只看重大人物。
请选择年级高一高二高三请输入相应的习题集名称(选填):
科目:高中英语
来源:不详
题型:阅读理解
Athens Olympic 110m hurdle champion Liu Xiang felt so relieved to return to racetrack after getting out of the great number of social activities.Liu arrived in hometown Shanghai Wednesday night and was about to resume① training shortly after.“I am so exhausted② from so many social activities, which made me even more tired than training,” said the 21-year-old Liu, who wrote a new chapter in China’s Olympic history by winning the country’s first ever athletics short-distance running title in the men’s 110m hurdles in Athens in August.“I am happy that I will resume my training soon back in Shanghai,” said the Shanghai native. He turned into an instant national hero with the Olympic glory③ and one of the most popular Olympic gold medalists, taking part in scores of celebration activities since he returned to China early September.“My regular training has been interrupted for such a long time that I think I can only run at about 13.5 seconds now,” said Liu, who clocked a world record-tying time of 12.91 to clinch the title.“I would rather forget what I have achieved in the past and try my best to realize a higher goal,” he said.Liu already missed the Berlin Golden League Series on Sunday and won’t be able to catch the IAAF Grand Prix final slated for September 18-19 in Monaco.He plans on attending an IAAF all-star tournament in Japan at the end of this month.小题1:This passage mainly talks about ________.A.victory of Liu XiangB.Liu Xiang’s resumption to the racetrackC.dream of Liu XiangD.Liu Xiang’s high aim小题2: From the passage we can see ________.A.Liu Xiang is content to go back to trainingB.Liu Xiang will win Golden League Series on SundayC.Liu Xiang wasn’t good at social activitiesD.Liu Xiang was refreshed after so many social activities小题3:The underlined word “relieved” means ________.A.sadB.gladC.worriedD.disappointed小题4:Which of the following is NOT wrong?A.Liu Xiang has had a quiet life for as long as half a month.B.Liu Xiang has missed two races because of his social activities.C.Liu Xiang has made up his mind to stop his social activities.D.Liu Xiang has deserted his present career.
Tilly Smith, the 11-year-old British girl, who was called as “Angle of the Beach”, saved 100 tourists from a Thai beach hit by the tsunami① in 2004 and has been named Child of the Year by readers of a French children’s newspaper. She came ahead of a South African Aids orphan, a six-year-old girl who survived a kidnapping②and a young Parisian pop singer to win the Mon Quotidien award. Tilly had studied tsunamis with her geography teacher, Andrew Kearney, shortly before flying to Thailand for a holiday with her parents and younger sister last year. As she watched the waves suddenly begin to move back, and the sea was bubbling③, she warned her mother, Penny, that the beach was about to be struck by a tsunami. Mrs Smith and her husband, Colin, warned other holidaymakers and hotel staff and scores of people were cleared from Maikhao beach at Phuket.Tilly, now 11, and back in Thailand for anniversary commemorations④of the disaster, said: “It’s really good, just to know about tsunamis or any natural disaster in case you are in one. I’m very glad that I was able to say on the beach that a tsunami was coming. And I’m glad that they listened to me.”Tilly is unaware of her great popularity among French children. Her picture appears on the front page of Mon Quotidien, which is read by 10 to 14-year-olds.“Our readers chose Tilly because they could identify with her,” said Francois Dufour. “To be a pop star at 11 seems impossible, and the idea of having Aids or being kidnapped is far from their lives.”1. The passage mainly wants to tell readers that ______. A. a little girl saved 100 tourists out of a tsunamiB. British “Angle of the Beach” was named Child of the Year C. many people came for anniversary commemorations D. the tsunami was able to be avoided2. The underlined words “Mon Quotidien” (in Paragraph 4) should be the name of ______. A. a magazine&&&&& B. a book&&&&&& C. a novel&&&&&& D. a newspaper3. Which of the following about Tilly Smith is TRUE? A. She could make full use of her knowledge from books. B. She was ever kidnapped by a pop singer. C. She visited Thailand by boat with her parents. D. She had expected to attract the French children.4. According to the Tilly Smith’s knowledge, when there is a tsunami, ______. A. the sea water will not be clear&&&&&&&& B. the sea will be bubbling when moving back C. the sea water will make great noise&&&& D. the sea will be bubbling when moving forward
Last night was the last game for my eight-year-old son’s soccer team. It was the final quarter. The score was two to one, and my son’s team was in the lead. Parents surrounded the playground, offering encouragement.With less than ten seconds remaining, the ball suddenly rolled in front of my son’s teammate, Mickey O’Donnell. With “Kick it!” echoing across the playground, Mickey turned around and gave it everything he had. All around me the crowd erupted. O’Donnell had scored! Then there was silence. Mickey had scored all right, but in the wrong goal, ending the game in a tie. For a moment there was a total hush. You see, Mickey has Down syndrome(综合症) and for him there was no such thing as a wrong goal. All goals were celebrated by a joyous hug from Mickey. He had even been known to hug the opposing players when they scored. The silence was finally broken when Mickey, his face filled with joy, hugged my son tightly and shouted, “I scored! I scored! Everybody won! Everybody won!” For a moment I held my breath, not sure how my son would react. I need not have worried. I watched, through tears, as my son threw up his hand in the classic high-five salute and started chanting, “Way to go Mickey! Way to go Mickey!” Within moments both teams surrounded Mickey, joining in the chant and congratulating him on his goal. Later that night, when my daughter asked who had won, I smiled as I replied, “It was a tie. Everybody won.” 小题1:The underlined word “hush” in paragraph 3 means ________.A.cheer.B.cryC.laughterD.silence小题2:What did the author worry about when Mickey scored and hugged his son?A.The result of the match would fail his son.B.His son would shout at Mickey for his goal.C.Mickey would again hug the opposing players.D.His son would understand Mickey’s wrong goal.小题3:It can be inferred from the passage that _____.A.both teams liked and respected MickeyB.both teams were thankful to Mickey for his goalC.Mickey didn’t mind though his goal was wrongD.Mickey was a kind-hearted boy and hoped everybody won小题4:The purpose of the author in writing the passage is _____. A.to tell a joke to make readers laughB.to suggest we should not mind losing C.to show enjoying a game is more than winning a game
D.to present his son’s fine qualities of understanding others
Lying in the sun on a rock, the cougar(美洲狮) saw Jeb and his son, Tom, before they saw it. Jeb put his bag down quickly and pulled his jacket open with both hands, making himself look big to the cougar. It worked. The cougar hesitated, ready to attack Jeb, but ready to forget the whole thing, too.Jeb let go of his jacket, grasped Tom and held him across his body, making a cross. Now the cougar’s enemy looked even bigger, and it rose up, ready to move away, but unfortunately Tom got scared and struggled free of Jeb.“Tom,no!”shouted his father.But Tom broke and ran and that’s the last thing you do with a cougar. The second Tom broke free, Jeb threw himself on the cougar, just as it jumped from the rock. They hit each other in mid-air and both fell. The cougar was on Jeb in a flash, forgetting about Tom, which was what Jeb wanted.Cougars are not as big as most people think and a determined man stands a chance, even with just his fists. As the cougar’s claws(爪子) got into his left shoulder. Jeb swung his fist at its eyes and hit hard. The animal howled(吼叫) and put its head back. Jeb followed up with his other fist. Then out of the corner of his eye. Jeb saw Tom. The boy was running back to help his father.“Knife, Tom,” shouted Jeb.The boy ran to his father’s bag, while Jeb started shouting as well as hitting, to keep the cougar’s attention away from Tom. Tom got the knife and ran over to Jeb. The cougar was moving its head in and out, trying to find a way through the wall Jeb was making out of his arms. Tom swung with the knife, into the cougar’s back. It howled horribly and ran off into the mountains.The whole fight had taken about thirty seconds.小题1:Why did Jeb pull his jacket open when he saw the cougar?A.To get ready to fight.B.To frighten it away.C.To protect the boy.D.To cool down.小题2:What do we know about cougars?A.They are afraid of noises.B.They hesitate before they hit.C.They are bigger than we think.D.They like to attack running people.小题3:How did Jeb try to hold the cougar’s attention?A.By keeping shouting and hitting.B.By making a wall out of his arms.C.By throwing himself on the cougar.D.By swinging his fists at the cougar’s eyes.小题4:Which of the following happened first?A.The cougar jumped from the rock.B.Tom struggled free of his father.C.Jeb asked Tom to get the knife.D.Jeb held Tom across his body.
An elderly woman died and several other passengers were critically injured when a crowded Virgin express train crashed in Cumbria last night. A huge rescue operation involving RAF helicopters and dozens of ambulances arrive. After passengers were trapped in the train for more than four hours because fallen power line poles made access for emergency workers difficult. Authorities reported up to 80 injuries. Thirteen people were taken to hospital in a“critical or serious condition.” Between 180 and 200 passengers were on the 5:15pm Virgin service from London Euston to Glasgow Central when all nine carriages left the rails between Oxenholme and Tebay. Witnesses said that the train shook violently before toppling(倾斜) over into an embankment(筑堤)with at least four carriages overturning. Early this morning, authorities confirmed an elderly woman had died and some other passengers had suffered injuries including back strains, head wounds and broken bones. Ruth Colton, a passenger on the train, said she was reading a book when the journey became uncomfortable. It seemed that the train was being beaten by heavy winds,“as if we were on a plane”. The accident brought concerns that Britain's busiest rail route would be crippled(瘫痪)for some time. The line between Preston and Carlisle was postponed as Virgin Trains promised a rapid investigation into the “serious incident”—the company's first big crash. It is understood that the investigation will examine whether there was an obstacle on the track and the possibility of speeding or mechanical breakdown. The driver, who was injured, will be interviewed and a black-box recorder installed in the train will be examined.小题1:What made the rescue come so late?A.It's not accessible to reach the accident spot.B.No enough helicopters and ambulances could be found at that time.C.It was too far from hospital to Cumbria.D.No one called the emergency center.小题2:According to the passage, the busiest rail route in Britain is&&&&&&&&&&A.From Preston to CarlisleB.Between Euston and GlasgowC.From Oxenholme to TebayD.Between Virgin and Pendolino小题3:What does the underlined word “critical”mean?A.Important.B.Careless.C.Dangerous.D.Surprising.小题4:Which of the following is the possible cause of the accident?A.Careless driving.B.Heavy wind.C.Over loading.D.Obstacle on the track.小题5:We can learn from the passage that Virgin Trains&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&A.made no quick reaction to this accidentB.seldom had so serious an accident beforeC.had made full preparations for the accidentD.didn't mind how many passengers the train can hold
He could have been president of Israel or played violin at Carnegie Hall, but he was too busy thinking. His thinking on God, love and the meaning of life graces our greeting cards and day-timers.Fifty years after his death, his shock(乱蓬蓬的一堆)of white hair and hanging moustache still symbolize genius. Einstein remains the foremost scientist of the modern time. Looking back 2,400 years, only Newton ,Galileo and Aristotle were his equals.Around the world , universities and academies(研究院)are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Einstein’s “miracle year” when he published five scientific papers in 1905 that basically changed our grasp of space, time ,light and matter. Only he could top himself about a decade later with his theory of relativity.Born in the age of horse-drawn carriages, his ideas launched a technological revolution that has made more changes in a century than in the previous two thousand years. Computers, satellites, telecommunications, lasers, televisions and nuclear power all owe their invention to ways in which Einstein exposed a stranger and more complicated reality underneath the world.He escaped Hitler’s Germany and devoted the rest of his life to human rights and peace with an authority unmatched by any scientist today, or even most politicians and religious leaders. He spoke out against fascism(法西斯主义)and racial prejudice. His FBI(美国联邦调查局)file ran 1,400 pages. His letters expose a disorderly personal life ─ married twice and indifferent toward his children while absorbed in physics. Yet he charmed lovers and admirers with poetry and sailboat outings. Friends and neighbors fiercely protected his privacy.小题1:The first paragraph implies that Einstein&&&&&&&&&&&& .A.had the gift for politics and musicB.had run for president before he worked at his researchC.was an excellent violinistD.was more a political leader of a musician than a thinker小题2:When you think of Einstein, what typical appearance was formed in your mind?A.Funny and humorous, with an air of a musician.B.Wearing very wide trousers and a moustache, with an image of an actor.C.Rough untidy mass of white hair and hanging moustache , with an image of thinking .D.Black long hair and moustache, with his eyes deep set.小题3:Why was 1905 called Einstein’s “miracle year”?A.Because he topped himself with the theory of relativity.B.Because he made important discoveries of space, time , light and matter.C.Because he published five papers on his theory of relativity.D.Because he wrote five important articles to help people understand space, time , light and matter better.小题4:Which of the following is not true about Einstein according to the passage?A.When he was absorbed in his research ,he didn’t care for his family.B.He tried to amuse his family and friends in his spare time.C.He was so busy with the physical research that he showed no interest in politics.D.His theory led to much improvement in many technological fields.
After the Summer Olympics are over, when all the athletics have gone home and the television audience has switched off, another group of athletics and fans will arrive at the host city, and another competition will begin. These are the Paralympics, the games for athletes with a disability. But in Beijing in 2008, for the first time, one of the greatest Paralympics will not be taking part. She is a British athlete by the name of Tanni Grey-Thormpson. Born with spine hifida (脊椎裂) which left her paralysed from the waist down. Tanni used a wheelchair from the age of 7. at first, she was not keen on sport, apart from horse-riding, which gave her a sense of freedom. But in her teens, she started taking sports more seriously. She tried swimming, basketball and tennis. Eventually she found athletics, and never looked back. Indeed, Tanni’s athletic career took off. In 1984, when she was 15, she pulled off a surprise victory in the 100metres at the Junior National Wheelchair Games. In 1988, Tanni went to her first Paralympic Games in Seoul. She won bronze in the 400 metres. Even greater success followed at the 1992 Barcelona. Paralympics. Tanni won gold in the 100, 200, 400 and 800 metres relay, setting two world records in the process. In the same year she achieved she first of her six London Wheelchair Marathon victories.Tanni’s enduring success had been part motivation(动机), part preparation, “The training I do that enables me to be a good sprinter(短跑运动员) enables me to be good at a marathon too. I train 50 weeks of the year and that keeps me prepared for whatever distance I want to race…. I am still competing at a very high lever, but as I get older things get harder and I want to retire before I fall apart.” Indeed Tanni retired finally after the Visa Paralympic World Cup in 2007. Her wish is to coach young athletes for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.In spite of ups and downs, she never take her fate lying down. In her splendid life, she has won an amazing eleven gold medals, four silvers and one bronze in series of Paralympics- a top lever athletic career covering two decades. She has won the London Wheelchair Marathon six times, more than any other competitor, and she has set over thirty world records.What advice does she have for young athletes? “Work hard at your studies, and then train, train and train again.”小题1:Which of the following sports did Tanni like before thirteen?A.BasketballB.Swimming.C.Tennis.D.Horse-riding.小题2: When did Tanni win her first Olympic gold medal?A.In 1984.B.In 1988.C.In 1992.D.In 2007.小题3: The underlined word “that” in the 5th paragraph refers to _______.A.fifty weeks’ trainingB.being a good sprinterC.training almost every dayD.part motivation and part preparation小题4:What’s the right order of the events related to Tanni? a. She works as a coach.&&&&& b. She took up athletics. c. She won four gold medals in Barcelona.&& d. She competed in her first Paralympic Games. e. She achieved a victory in her first London Wheelchair Marathon.A.b, d, c, e aB.a, d, b, c ,eC.A,d,c,e,bD.b.d.a.e.c小题5: What can we learn from Tanni’s success?A.Union is strength.B.Never too late to learn.C.Well begun is half done.D.No pains, no gains.
Dorothea Dix left home at an early age—of her own free will—to live with her grandmother.At fourteen, Dorothea was teaching school at Worcester, Massachusetts. A short time after she had begun teaching, she set up a school for young girls in her grandparents’ home. Stress was placed on moral character at Dorothea’s school, which she conducted until she was thirty-three. She was forced to give up teaching at her grandparents’ home, however, when she became ill a few years of inactivity followed. In 1841 Dorothea began to teach again, accepting a Sunday school class in the East Cambridge, Massachusetts prison. Here she first came upon insane people (精神病人) locked up together with prisoners.In those days insane people were treated even worse than prisoners. There were only a few madhouses in the entire country. Therefore prisons, poor houses, and houses of correction were used to keep the insane. Dorothea Dix made a careful investigation of the inhuman treatment of the insane. It was considered unfeminine (不适合) for a woman to devote herself to such work at this time. But this did not stop Dorothea Dix from providing proper medical care for the insane. Gradually, because of her investigations, conditions were improved. More than thirty mental institutions were founded or rebuilt in the United States because of her hard work. Dorothea also spread her investigations to England and to other parts of Europe. During the Civil War, Dorothea served as superintendent (负责) of women hospital nurses in the Union army. When the war was over, she returned to her work of improving conditions for insane people.小题1:This article is mainly about ________.social problems of the nineteenth century how Dorothea Dix got her education how Dorothea Dix devoted herself to education how Dorothea Dix devoted herself to the work of improving conditions for insane people 小题2:How did Dorothea Dix first realize the mistreatment of insane people?Her grandmother treated the mistreatment of insane people. She worked in an insane hospital as a young woman. She taught Sunday school in a prison. She was asked to investigate the problem. 小题3:The author implies Dorothea Dix’s work with the insane was interrupted because of ________.A.an illnessB.the Civil WarC.her trip to EnglandD.her grandmother’s death小题4:How are the events of Dorothea Dix’s life presented in the passage?A.In space order.B.In time order. C.In alphabetical (字母的) order.D.From greatest to least important.

我要回帖

更多关于 passe mura 的文章

随机推荐