Whenwhat does thee excre...

March 14, 2016
There have been a few announcements over the last couple of weeks about the Oracle Public Cloud. But what does it actually mean for the PeopleSoft community?
What is Oracle Public Cloud?
The Oracle Public Cloud is Oracle’s competitor to the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) providers that have swiftly risen to create a whole industry that didn’t exist 10 years ago. Because they’re the market leader (by far) everyone automatically thinks of Amazon, however Microsoft Azure, Google Compute and Rackspace are also players in the market.
As PeopleSoft adopts more SaaS-like features (new UI, incremental updates etc) companies have started to move their infrastructure from their own data-centres to the cloud. For many companies this makes good business sense, however rather than have customers going to a 3rd party provider Oracle would rather provide the cloud service themselves. Obviously this is better for Oracle, however the customer benefits too (retaining a single vendor, and Oracle can potentially optimise their applications for their own cloud better than they can for Cloud infrastructure belonging to other vendors). There may also be cost savings for the customer, however I haven’t looked at pricing yet.
Doesn’t Oracle already do Hosting?
Yes, Oracle has long had a service that will host infrastructure on your behalf – Oracle On Demand. This is more of an older-style ASP (Application Service Provider). You’re more likely to be on physical hardware without much in the way of flexibility/scalability and tied into a long-term hosting contract, so the Oracle Public Cloud is a major step forwards in a number of ways.
How will Oracle Public Cloud be better?
I attended a couple of workshops on this last week and it looks very promising. It has all the attributes required for it to be properly classed as ‘Cloud’:
subscription pricing,
elasticity of resources (so you can scale instances according to demand),
resilience of data centres (so, if you’re based in the UK you might be looking at the Slough data centre, however there are two ‘availability zones’ within Slough so if one gets hit by an outage you’ll still be able to connect to the other one)
Interestingly, it also includes several ‘Database as a Service’ offerings, each offering increasing levels of performance. With this model you don’t need to worry about the virtual machine, operation system etc that your database runs on, you receive access to a database and leave the maintenance to others. You would still need to have your other tiers on the IaaS offerings.
This opens up the possibility of multiple tiers of Cloud service:
Just the Infrastructure (client does all the database and application admin)
DBaaS (client has other tiers on IaaS, but does not do DB admin)
Full Cloud solution (uses Oracle Cloud and a partner to do all administration)
How can I best take advantage?
The best time to move is probably at the same time as an upgrade. Upgrades normally come with a change in some of the hardware (due to the supported platforms changing) so moving to the cloud allows the hardware to change without any up-front costs.
PeopleSoft 9.2 and the more recent PeopleTools versions have a lot of features that were built for the Cloud, so by running it on-premises you’re not realising the full capabilities of your investment.
We’d recommend you try using the Cloud for your Dev and Test instances first, before leaping in with Production at a later date. Oracle have tools to help you migrate on-premises instances to their Cloud. (At this point – Mar 2016 – we have not tested these tools.)
What will the challenges be?
The first challenge is “how do I try it?”. This is pretty straightforward, in that you get a partner to demonstrate to you, or can get yourself an Oracle Public Cloud account and then provision a PeopleSoft instance using one of the PUM images as a demo. This would work fine to look at new functionality, or as a conference room pilot.
One of the biggest challenges is likely to be security – not the security of Oracle’s cloud, but securing your PeopleSoft instances which previously might have been only available within your corporate LAN. If you need assistance with this speak to a partner with experience using Oracle Public Cloud.
March 9, 2016
The next profile in our ‘‘ series is Sasank Vemana. Sasank burst onto the PeopleSoft blogging scene in 2014 with his
site, and has been adding entries at a ferocious pace since. He is probably best known for his series of posts on altering the PeopleSoft branding to make it match a corporate palette, as well as configuration and code changes related to UI/UX.
I met Sasank at OOW15 and he’s a lovely chap. He has given some great responses to the questions. I’d love to know how he persuaded his employer to give him 4 monitors and about his use of dual mice!
Name: Sasank Vemana
Current computer:
Desktop: Dell Optiplex 9020 (Windows 7, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM)
Laptop: Dell LATITUDE | E6530 (Windows 7, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM)
Current mobile devices: Samsung Galaxy S4. Yes – That reminds me I need an upgrade!
I work: To solve problems.
What apps/software/tools can’t you live without?
Google is my friend and my portal to everything. I try not to overload myself with information, which I know I can find. Google search helps me find what I am looking for. On a side note, I use
to keep in touch with my family and friends who are scattered in different parts of the world. I also use
app to keep track of my physical activities and monitor my health.
Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can’t you live without?
Not a big gadget fan! I can live without them as long as I have a good internet connection, which seems to be the most important thing for me these days. With that, I can do my reading, research and also remote to any of my computers (if needed) regardless of the device. Same goes with entertainment – Netflix, Spotify, etc.
What’s your workspace like?
Over the past year and a half, I have been using a standing desk at work, thanks to my current employers who were kind enough to allow me to rearrange my workspace. When I am at work and not in meetings, I try to stand as much as possible and use a bar stool when I tend to get tired. Occasionally, I also just sit down with my laptop wherever I find space. The four monitor desktop setup helps tremendously when I have multiple applications running. I also have two mice and try to switch between my left and right hand. I am ambidextrous so it works for me (I will not recommend this otherwise!).
Standing desk, 4 monitors and dual mice
What do you listen to while you work?
Usually, I am zoned into whatever I am doing and mostly oblivious to events around me. I don’t listen to music while I am at work these days. At times, I listen to live cricket or tennis commentary if anything I care about is going on. A set of Bose noise canceling headphones has long been on my wish list (in case Santa is reading!).
What PeopleSoft-related productivity apps do you use?
Oracle Virtual Box/PUM Images – My savior for evaluation, experimentation and proof of concept purposes.
Web Services: ,
(Chrome Add-On)
Web Development: Browser based Developer Tools (Chrome/Firefox/IE), DOM/StyleSheets/JavaScripts Explorers, Device Emulators, etc., ,
(Firefox Add-On)
Text Editors/Journals: , , ,
(for the most part since it is light weight and does not hog resources),
(for some activities),
Screen Capture/Recording:
(short videos) are great for communication
Do you have a 2-line tip that some others might not know?
Tracing tip: Use PeopleCode – 2048 (Show Each), SQL – 3 (Statement, Bind). This gives us every line of code and SQL that executed in sequence without all the other clutter which is not always useful especially when we are just trying to understand the logic.
What SQL/Code do you find yourself writing most often?
Generally speaking, queries on PeopleTools metadata tables. E.g.: PSAUTHITEM (security related queries), PSPRSMDEFN (portal navigation queries), etc.
What would be the one item you’d add to PeopleSoft if you could?
I would add/implement a log aggregation and mining utility. I have spent many hours combing through log files distributed across different servers. It would be great to see something that aggregates all server logs and provides mining capabilities (regex and/or free-form search). After attending Oracle OpenWorld 2015, I understand that PeopleTools 8.55 has some new features – as part of Health Center – that might assist with logs. I look forward to evaluating this functionality!
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
Probably exploring! Although, I would be careful not to say that I am better at it than others. I just find myself doing that a lot without worrying about getting lost. It might seem like a wasteful effort at times but it is a natural way of learning for me.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
These are not really advice received from someone but some of my favorite quotes that I can think of right now:
– Learn to profit from your losses.
– Don’t make decisions during a storm.
– A manager gets work done through people whereas a leader inspires people to meet shared goals.
– And miles to go before I sleep.
January 28, 2016
The ‘Year in Blogging’ reports have come through so I can see what posts and newsletter items garnered the most views.
PeopleSoft Tipster Blog
So, according to the summary, this blog was visited 130,000 times during the year, an average of ~350/day with the busiest day being just over double that at 749 visitors. About 50% of the traffic is from the US, 15% from India, and 5% from the UK and Canada.
Amazingly, the most viewed post was one written prior to 2015, about . The most popular post that was actually authored last year was , followed by , the
The PeopleSoft Weekly Newsletter
The PSW newsletter seems to go from strength to strength. During 2015 the subscriber base rose from 919 to 1,104 which is an approx 20% increase. The ‘open rate’ sits around 40% for any one issue (against an industry average of 17%) with the US accounting for 55% of readers, the UK 15% and India 10%.
The top articles in terms of clicks were:
(263 clicks)
January 26, 2016
Next up in our ‘‘ series is Dan Iverson. Dan – together with partner-in-crime Kyle – runs the
blog. If you’re a PeopleSoft administrator and connected to the Internet then there’s no doubt that you’ll have heard of their blog as they’re really prolific and have posted some great content. Clearly blogging wasn’t enough however, and there is now the
which is ~45 minutes of topical awesomeness. I didn’t think it was possible to have an entertaining PodCast on PeopleSoft Administration, but Dan and Kyle manage it!
Name: Dan Iverson
Occupation: Independent PeopleSoft Consultant, co-host of The PeopleSoft Administrator Podcast, and Staff Sergeant/Team Leader with the 147th Army Band.
Current computer: When I’m at home, my primary machine is a 27” iMac with a second 27” monitor attached. I recently upgraded to 32GB of RAM and can now run 3-4 VM’s at once. When I’m not at my desk, I use a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM. Both machines have VMWare Fusion to run Windows (when I have to).
Current mobile devices: iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple Watch
I work: Because I enjoy challenges and enterprise software is full of them! I love to help people get through those challenges and want to leave a client better off than when I arrived.
I’m a Mac guy but PeopleTools doesn’t support Mac OS X so I have to live in the Windows world too. (There was an internal build of App Designer that ran on Mac OS 9, but it never shipped). These are my favorite apps for Windows, OS X and iOS.
For Windows:
– it saves so much time when working with patches, finding file differences, moving configuration between files, etc. It’s easily the first software I install on a new machine.
– working as an admin in a Windows shop means remoting into lots of servers that don’t support SSH. RDCM makes it easier to jump between sessions and save passwords and other settings. It’s a Microsoft product that’s a free download and I’m surprised it’s not included with the Admin tools.
– my go-to text editor for Windows and Mac. Sublime Text has a large plug-in community that makes the editor great for all languages. We use Markdown for our wiki at work, and for the blog, so I do most of my writing in Sublime Text because it has great Markdown plug-ins.
– the only password I need to remember is our master password. There is no need to remember passwords anymore since we keep everything locked down in our safe.
– I started using SQL Developer because it was cheaper than Toad, but it has become my favorite Oracle SQL client.
– this is our wiki at work where we document anything PS Admin related. I keep my daily log in the wiki too, so I can reference articles as I document what I work on each day. Instiki is a simple Ruby on Rails-based wiki. It has very few features, but that’s what I like about it.
– a network KVM. It’s cross platform too, so I can use my iMac to control my Macbook Pro and any client laptops I might need all from the iMac’s keyboard and mouse.
For Mac OS X:
– I track all of my projects (work and home), tasks, to-do lists, and even passing thoughts in OmniFocus. I (kind of) follow the Getting Things Done methodology (GTD) for managing my daily work, and OmniFocus was built to support GTD. There is a great iPhone app for OmniFocus too. Anytime I have a thought I write it down and deal with it in OmniFocus.
– my default terminal on the Mac. I have a shortcut (Cntl-Optn-Space) mapped to the window so I can open a command line window anywhere I’m working.
– my main VM platform on my Macs. I use VMWare to run all my Windows VM’s and love it. I also use VirtualBox, but only when I run a PUM Image. With PeopleTools 8.55, Oracle will support other VM platforms for the Images so I plan on moving those to VMWare Fusion in the future.
– any non-client documentation, files, notes, etc are logged in Evernote. We use a shared Evernote notebook to plan the podcast episodes.
– it just works. Any files that I want stored on more than 1 computer are put in Dropbox. Simple as that.
– great for communicating with a team. For me, it has replaced Lync/Skype for IM but also has great team chat capabilities.
– same as the Windows app. It’s a great text editor.
– it’s worth mentioning twice.
For my iPhone:
– synced with my Macs
– a great Twitter client
– for listening to podcasts
– made the switch from Spotify, but both services have a great selection of music
– to read articles that I find but don’t have time to read during the day
A pair of headphones. I listen to music when I’m working and podcasts when I’m driving, mowing the yard or working out. When I’m at my desk, I have a set of ’s. They are comfortable, have good sound and I like the noise cancellation. When I’m not at my desk, I use
wireless bluetooth headphones.
Currently, I am working from home (love it) and have a nice view of the yard from the office. I have an iMac and 2nd monitor on the desk. I run my Windows VM on the right monitor (an OS X workspace) and use the left monitor for Mac apps. I use the workspaces features on OS X to keep my apps logically organized. For example, Evernote and OmniFocus share a workspace, Mail and Slack in a workspace, and Safari or Chome in a 3rd.
I had a treadmill desk and absolutely loved it, but we recently moved and haven’t set it up yet. It took about a day to get used to walking (about 1.2-1.5 miles per hour) and typing/mousing. Now that I’m working from home again it’s probably time to set it up. When I used the treadmill desk daily, I felt great and lost 20 pounds!
Working from home has so many advantages, but there are challenges. Staying in communication with coworkers is t you have to work hard at communicating. The tech team adopted Slack during the last upgrade. Slack became our “water cooler” for everyone. All of our conversations happened on Slack. And since Slack saves past conversations, you could go back and catch up on the day’s discussions so you didn’t feel out of the loop. Even when people were in the office we’d still use Slack instead of popping into people’s cubes.
I like most musical styles (except for country). I really enjoy the Interstellar, Dark Knight, and other Hans Zimmer soundtracks. Movie and video game soundtracks are great for helping me focus. I might listen to Emimen if I’m working late, and you can also catch me listening to Sonny Rollins or Maynard Ferguson too.
These are my favorites:
– it helps you dig into trace files and is free from Oracle
Trace2SQL – it takes a trace file with SQL and creates a runnable .sql file with the parameters populated from the trace
I keep a larger list updated on .
Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know”. It’s okay to not have an answer, but use that opportunity to learn something new and come back with an answer.
select * from PS_PTSF_DEPLOY_OBJ;
followed by
delete from PS_PTSF_DEPLOY_OBJ where …;
(That’s SQL to find and delete deployed objects in the Search Framework tables.)
Puppet support is coming to 8.55, so that takes care of one wish list item. The next change I’d like to see is an easier way to share code and projects. Currently, you have to copy/paste code to sites like GitHub. It’s hard to share projects/code using the current project format without manual intervention.
I would also love to see an option to export PeopleCode to a text file and use a YAML-type file to define component, record, AE, et al, objects. That would still describe the structure of PeopleTools objects but support common version control tools like Git and Mercurial (and GitHub too). There are many opportunities to share common modifications or bolt-on’s and using sites like GitHub to share the code would only benefit the PeopleSoft development community.
I can solve a Rubik’s Cube under 2 minutes while holding a conversation. I also play the trombone in a US Army Band.
Focus on doing good work and everything else will follow.
October 22, 2015
As a teaser to the session that Mark Thomas and myself are presenting on Selective Adoption at OpenWorld next week, here’s a slide showing why Selective Adoption is important for so many clients:
By virtue of such a high proportion of clients upgrading to 9.2 already, Selective Adoption is impacting a huge number of customers.
Come to Mark’s and my session at 9:30am on Thursday to find out the adjustments that you need to make to ensure that you get the biggest benefits from the Selective Adoption functionality.
Come to our session, , and find out what you can do.
October 20, 2015
Next up in our ‘‘ series is Wade ‘Smart Panda’ Coombs. Wade is one of the most prolific bloggers currently sharing their PeopleSoft knowledge. He writes at his
website and has a lot of great content – particularly focusing on SSL certs, Change Assistant, server admin, SES and Weblogic. Wade also has a ‘Smart Thinking’ newsletter (, including a sign-up link).
Name: Wade Coombs (a.k.a The Smart Panda)
Current computer: HP Envy & Eurocom X3
Current mobile devices: iPhone 5 & iPad Air 2
I work: To help clients make their systems work for them, there should be no pain when operating an Enterprise system. Seriously it shouldn’t be painful – no really!
Software: UltraEdit, Beyond Compare, Bitvise SSH Client, Notepad (I know)
SQL, VPN & Mobile Hotspots
My Private Cloud Servers
I do love my iPhone’s GPS system, but one of my favourite tools I have is my WebEx account.
I tend to get stuck on my computer for long periods of time so I typically change every day where I am working from, some days I don’t even get out of bed and some days I don’t get to bed, but any place that can hold my coffee and computer – I am good to go.
I have a huge musical collection that covers 60’s country to Opera to the soundtracks of Disney (yes I have a daughter) to all the latest music trends. However most days all I hear are my daughter singing and/or my son playing Minecraft.
PeopleTools: Change Assistant, App Designer, Data Mover
SQL Tools: SQL Developer & SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio)
Browsers: Firefox & Chrome
Microsoft Office: Excel, Word & Visio
SSL tools: , ,
When it comes to PeopleSoft – experience is worth its weight in gold. There is a lot of assumed knowledge and unless you have worked with it, you will go down some dark roads.
I have an entire script for refreshing a database, but I often find myself doing updates to PSOPRDEFN & PSACCESSPRFL and:
grant select on PSOPRDEFN
grant select on PSACCESSPRFL
grant select on PSTATUS
If anything, I would remove some of the crazy unnecessary stuff like: COBOL, nVision, Crystal (actually finally going away). The PeopleTools are extremely well written and work very well, so having all these crazy 3rd party programs makes it hard to be knowledgeable in all the areas. I believe in the .
In 20 years of PeopleSoft and 30 years of database work, I have seen just about everything. I have a unique ability in taking that knowledge and applying it to the next latest and greatest thing and achieving amazing results for my clients.
Today, we focus on hosting environments for clients with SmartHosting or with client hardware either way we have found the complexity of PeopleSoft has increased to such a level that it is more cost and time effective to outsource to experts that can deliver the results clients demand.
Be Authentic. People have an amazing ability to smell bulls*$t, so do what you say you are going to do and do it to the best of your ability.
October 7, 2015
We’re a shade under a month away from the biggest event in the calendar for those that work in the Oracle marketplace – the Oracle OpenWorld Conference.
It runs every year in San Francisco and draws a massive 60,000 attendees from 145 countries (plus 2.1 million online attendees). That’s huge.
There are more than 2,500 sessions from ~3,600 speakers, approximately half of which are customers/partners and half are Oracle themselves. As well as the sessions there are the demo grounds and the exhibition hall, all great places for networking with people that you’ve either not met before or have only ever come across online. You get quality face-time with top developers and execs, who are normally hidden behind many levels of Oracle Support. These are the people who have designed and written the products and services that we’ll be using over the coming years, so meeting up with them is priceless.
If you register before the event, it’s $2,450 (about ?1,600).
I’m lucky to have the chance to go again this year, and I know already that it’s going to have huge value for both me and Cedar. Both my colleague, Graham, and I were lucky enough to be selected to speak (his session is on Fluid, mine is on Selective Adoption – the two hottest topics in PeopleSoft right now).
Graham also produced this lively promo video:
This (above) is what we look like, it’d be great to say hello to you if you’re around. Likewise, if you’re coming to either of our sessions let us know and we’ll be sure to say hi.
As a nice bonus, we get to see Elton John and Beck at the !
I’m really looking forward to seeing and hearing about the very latest from the PeopleSoft and Fusion/Taleo worlds. Look out for a Cedar event when we return where we can share everything with you.
October 5, 2015
A week or so back Cedar held a free Selective Adoption event for clients and friends. The idea behind the event was to help those on 9.2 already to make the most of what Selective Adoption can offer, and to show those that are yet to make the step to 9.2 what the future could look like.
The event went really well. Jeff Robbins opened the proceedings, giving an overview of the technology and what the roadmap looks like. Then Graham Smith and I did a couple of slots each on how the process works, what you need to get the technology up and running, the huge value it can bring, and the areas that you should do yourself versus the ones where it’s cheaper to get help.
Graham diving deep into the Tech
Covering the Options
After the event we all decamped to a nearby pub for less formal chat. It was really great to see that some clients still wanted more however. Happily, Graham was able to do a live demo from the middle of the pub, showing that we can ‘walk the walk’ as well as talking about it …
Live demo in the pub
September 14, 2015
I’m in awe of many people. I’m lucky to have met and worked with some truly smart and outstanding individuals. (I just wish I wasn’t so reserved and was able to tell them!)
If I was asked to pick a handful of the most talented people however, Seth Godin would undoubtedly be up there.
I’ve not met Seth in real life (although I had a near miss at OpenWorld 5 or 6 years back) but I’ve followed his work for a decade at least. He writes daily posts on his – most of them succinct and quick to read – which are always really insightful.
My all-time favourite post from Seth was from just the other day. I’m reposting it – not because I’m stealing his work, but because it increases the chances of readers of this blog seeing it – and going to his
and subscribing, adding it to your RSS reader etc.
Glow in the dark
Some people are able to reflect the light that lands on them, to take directions or assets or energy and focus it where it needs to be focused. This is a really valuable skill.
Even more valuable, though, is the person who glows in the dark. Not reflecting energy, but creating it. Not redirecting urgencies but generating them. The glow in the dark colleague is able to restart momentum, even when everyone else is ready to give up.
At the other end of the spectrum (ahem) is the black hole. All the energy and all the urgency merely disappears.
Your glow in the dark colleague knows that recharging is eventually necessary, but for now, it’s okay that there’s not a lot of light. The glow is enough.
I wish I was able to write half as beautifully as this. Please go to his
and subscribe. I’m sure we can all identify some people who can reflect the light, some who are occasionally black holes, and – if you’re lucky – have a glow in the dark colleague. If you need further convincing of Seth’s genius,
will probably resonate too.
September 7, 2015
I noted with interest a job posting earlier today. It has all the usual requirements (PeopleSoft, ERP, infrastructure, project management skills etc), but what jumped out at me was the phrase:
This is a 100% home based/remote working position. You will never be required to visit an office.
Although home-working is definitely on the increase – many clients now allow people to work remotely some of the time – this is the first that I’ve seen that is guaranteed, 100% remote.
A sign of things to come?
If you’re curious, .
Recent Posts
Select Month
March 2016 &(2)
January 2016 &(2)
October 2015 &(4)
September 2015 &(2)
August 2015 &(3)
July 2015 &(3)
June 2015 &(1)
May 2015 &(1)
April 2015 &(3)
March 2015 &(3)
February 2015 &(2)
January 2015 &(2)
December 2014 &(4)
November 2014 &(2)
October 2014 &(2)
September 2014 &(2)
July 2014 &(4)
June 2014 &(5)
April 2014 &(4)
March 2014 &(3)
February 2014 &(1)
January 2014 &(1)
October 2013 &(1)
July 2013 &(1)
April 2013 &(1)
March 2013 &(2)
February 2013 &(4)
January 2013 &(4)
November 2012 &(3)
October 2012 &(3)
September 2012 &(2)
August 2012 &(2)
July 2012 &(3)
May 2012 &(1)
March 2012 &(2)
February 2012 &(3)
January 2012 &(3)
October 2011 &(6)
September 2011 &(4)
July 2011 &(1)
June 2011 &(3)
May 2011 &(2)
April 2011 &(1)
March 2011 &(1)
February 2011 &(2)
August 2010 &(1)
June 2010 &(2)
May 2010 &(1)
April 2010 &(3)
February 2010 &(3)
January 2010 &(3)
November 2009 &(4)
October 2009 &(5)
September 2009 &(1)
July 2009 &(3)
May 2009 &(1)
April 2009 &(3)
March 2009 &(1)
February 2009 &(1)
November 2008 &(4)
October 2008 &(2)
September 2008 &(2)
August 2008 &(4)
July 2008 &(3)
June 2008 &(3)
May 2008 &(4)
April 2008 &(3)
March 2008 &(2)
February 2008 &(3)
January 2008 &(8)
December 2007 &(6)
November 2007 &(9)
October 2007 &(5)
September 2007 &(1)
August 2007 &(1)
July 2007 &(4)
June 2007 &(3)
May 2007 &(2)
April 2007 &(6)
March 2007 &(2)
Blog Stats
912,580 hits
RT @: Great networking with customers & partners at the UKOUG PeopleSoft Roadshow.
@ https:…
.@ on PeopleSoft in the Cloud @ @
A full room for joint Cedar/Oracle session on PeopleSoft/Oracle Public Cloud.
RT @: Excited about what Oracle are doing with PeopleSoft Cloud Architecture.
Whoa! Setup & Maintenance looks very different in R11.
Follow &The PeopleSoft Tipster Blog&
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 555 other followers

我要回帖

更多关于 what does the 的文章

随机推荐