服务支持:
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
King Midas and the Golden Touch
商品介绍加载中...
扫一扫,精彩好书免费看
京东商城向您保证所售商品均为正品行货,京东自营商品开具机打发票或电子发票。
凭质保证书及京东商城发票,可享受全国联保服务(奢侈品、钟表除外;奢侈品、钟表由京东联系保修,享受法定三包售后服务),与您亲临商场选购的商品享受相同的质量保证。京东商城还为您提供具有竞争力的商品价格和,请您放心购买!
注:因厂家会在没有任何提前通知的情况下更改产品包装、产地或者一些附件,本司不能确保客户收到的货物与商城图片、产地、附件说明完全一致。只能确保为原厂正货!并且保证与当时市场上同样主流新品一致。若本商城没有及时更新,请大家谅解!
权利声明:京东上的所有商品信息、客户评价、商品咨询、网友讨论等内容,是京东重要的经营资源,未经许可,禁止非法转载使用。
注:本站商品信息均来自于合作方,其真实性、准确性和合法性由信息拥有者(合作方)负责。本站不提供任何保证,并不承担任何法律责任。
印刷版次不同,印刷时间和版次以实物为准。
价格说明:
京东价:京东价为商品的销售价,是您最终决定是否购买商品的依据。
划线价:商品展示的划横线价格为参考价,该价格可能是品牌专柜标价、商品吊牌价或由品牌供应商提供的正品零售价(如厂商指导价、建议零售价等)或该商品在京东平台上曾经展示过的销售价;由于地区、时间的差异性和市场行情波动,品牌专柜标价、商品吊牌价等可能会与您购物时展示的不一致,该价格仅供您参考。
折扣:如无特殊说明,折扣指销售商在原价、或划线价(如品牌专柜标价、商品吊牌价、厂商指导价、厂商建议零售价)等某一价格基础上计算出的优惠比例或优惠金额;如有疑问,您可在购买前联系销售商进行咨询。
异常问题:商品促销信息以商品详情页“促销”栏中的信息为准;商品的具体售价以订单结算页价格为准;如您发现活动商品售价或促销信息有异常,建议购买前先联系销售商咨询。
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
加载中,请稍候...
浏览了该商品的用户还浏览了
加载中,请稍候...
联系供应商
七日畅销榜
新书热卖榜
iframe(src='///ns.html?id=GTM-T947SH', height='0', width='0', style='display: visibility:')What is the Midas Touch? (with pictures)
Category:&
What is the Midas Touch?
The legend of King Midas claims that he was able to turn anything he touched to gold.
According to Greek Mythology, everything that Midas touched turned into gold.
Article Details
Written By:
Mary McMahon
Edited By: Bronwyn Harris
Last Modified Date: 28 March 2017
Copyright Protected:
Conjecture Corporation
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
One engine from a Boeing 777 delivers more than twice the horsepower of all the steam engines on the RMS Titanic.&
Over 10,000 people marched on Washington demanding Nixon's impeachment.&
Subscribe to wiseGEEK
Learn something new every day
wiseGEEK Slideshows
These 10 facts about space will blow your mind
Top 10 unbelievable historical concurrencies
Can you see through these real-life optical illusions?
These 10 animal facts will amaze you
You won't believe these 10 facts about people
Top 10 amazing movie makeup transformations
10 hilariously insightful foreign words
Adorable animal families that will make you "aww"
10 most extreme places on Earth
Top 10 facts about the world
The term “ touch” is used to refer to an ability to make anything potentially profitable, allowing people to make and manage large amounts of money. People often use it enviously, declaring that someone has an almost magical skill that allows him or her to succeed where others fail. In fact, most people with such abilities work very hard for them, and they may have suffered their fair share of failures before they developed their keen business sense.
The name for this term comes from a legendary Greek king. Midas actually did exist, as ample historical evidence shows, although it is unlikely that he was actually able to turn things into gold by simply touching them. The desire to be able to turn things
the entire discipline of
was founded around the idea that it was theoretically possible to “transmute” various base metals into gold, for example, and the desire for gold in some form or another persists in many modern human societies.
According to legend, when Dionysus approached Midas and offered him any boon, the king requested the ability to turn things into gold. Dionysus duly made it so, and at first the king was delighted with the fact that everything he touched turned to gold. The blessing quickly turned out to be a curse, however, as he found himself dying of starvation because the food and drink he touched also turned into gold, and in some versions of the story, he also turned his own daughter into a statue.
Midas came back to Dionysus, and begged him to revoke the gift. The king was informed that he could bathe in a particular river to get rid of his magical touch, which he duly did. In many stories, he goes on to abhor wealth, living a life of extreme asceticism. The original
about the Midas touch was probably a cautionary tale about greed, pointing out that greed can swallow everything you love, leaving you with no happiness.
In the modern world, anyone who does remarkably well, especially in a challenging field like the , may be said to have a Midas touch. While a touch of envy is involved, the term is also used wi when someone has this ability, people may wonder how he or she got there, and whether happiness has come with the wealth.
You might also Like
Recommended
Related wiseGEEK Articles
Discuss this Article
@KoiwiGal - Actually, I think the way that story might have come about is pretty natural, and might not be from a single person.
Because I suspect the phrase &everything he touches turns to gold& is older than the myth.
If that phrase is used regularly, perhaps even used in reference to the original King Midas, it's pretty easy to take the idea one step further to see what the consequences of things turning to gold would really be.
My grandmother grew Midas Touch roses and I always used to tease her about how she had gold fingers rather than green fingers. There are a lot of sayings about a &special touch.&
I think that kind of a saying would make sense to people even without the story.
@browncoat - There is a version of the original myth where Midas, after being cured of the Golden Touch, happens to be asked to judge a music competition between gods. When he picks one over the other, the loser curses him by saying "he must have the ears of an ass!" and that's how he grew donkey ears. He tried to keep them a secret because he was embarrassed but eventually everyone found out. I never liked that one as much as the part about the golden touch because I always thought the golden touch had a real moral lesson to it, while the donkey ears is just a random series of misfortunes. Either way, you're right they are very clever stories.
I remember reading about the Midas Touch when I was a child. The story I read must have been adapted because I thought it was a relatively modern fairy tale, rather than an ancient Greek story.
I believe in the story that I read, the king also had to deal with having donkey's ears at some point. I can't remember exactly how that happens though.
It's actually a very clever story if there was a real King Midas. His touch has become famous enough to create a phrase in the English language that anyone can understand even if they haven't heard the story.
Please enter the code:
Make changes/additions/deletions to the article below, and one of our editors will publish your suggestions if warranted.
Optional: Explanation of your recommended changes
Thank You!
One of our editors will review your suggestion and make changes if warranted.
Note that depending on the number of suggestions we receive,
this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.
Thank you for helping to improve wiseGEEK!
Copyright & 2003 - 2017
Conjecture Corporation

我要回帖

更多关于 qqtouc 的文章

随机推荐