What's the &quot什么意思;carry&quot什么意思; ...

Not wanting to miss the chance._百度知道
Not wanting to miss the chance.
wanting 可以用want吗?为什么?
提问者采纳
不可。句子里的 wanting 是分词。分词的格式是 动词+ ing,有形容词般的作用。其他分词例子包括panting, the marathon runner made the final dash to the finish line. still eating the ice cream, the boy says, &now may have the apple?&
提问者评价
其他类似问题
chance的相关知识
其他1条回答
The author has asked, &What's the worst thing I ever wrote?& and Haws said, &That piece of junk called To Have and Have Not.& &I
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁Guns and freedom: the American paradox -
From the shot heard round the world to the old West to the spread of modern-day &concealed carry& rights, firearms are embedded in American culture.
A young boy play s with a toy laser gun Near his family’s Nevada campsite at the Burning Man festival.
Jim Urquhart/Reuters/File
View Caption
Guns were designed with one purpose. They don’t cut rope, drive nails, or propel baseballs. They are built to kill or maim. Very much of what you read in the news revolves around guns. Firearms are central to almost every conflict, crime, uprising, or peacekeeping mission. Governments use guns to maintain order. Rebels use guns to challenge authority. There are more guns per capita in the
than in any other nation. Some people like guns for hunting, target practice, and skeet shooting. If you have a gentle nature, though, you probably abhor firearms. Every time a confused young person opens fire at a school, a worker assaults co-workers, a stray bullet enters an inner-city home, or a spouse, passerby, political figure, or store clerk is attacked with a deadly weapon – every one of those violent acts is a powerful argument for locking guns away. If you believe in the right to self-defense and liberty, however, you probably see gun ownership as natural and just. Every assault, home invasion, robbery, or hostage taking is a powerful argument that a lawfully armed citizen might have been able to stop the crime in progress. The balance between public safety and individual freedom is not easy. From the Revolution through the settling of the frontier to the 21st century, guns have been embedded in the American experience. The
to the Constitution appears to enshrine the right of individuals to own and carry firearms. In 2008 and 2010, the
issued landmark rulings that ensured possession of firearms for lawful purposes. Since then, a slew of state laws have expanded access to firearms and the freedom to carry them in public.
In the years to come, it appears, there will be even more guns in more hands in more places than ever before. As a Monitor , no one can say for sure if that will make society more, or less, safe. Scholars such as economist
and criminologist Gary Kleck cite evidence that people who carry concealed weapons have stopped thousands of crimes from happening. But it’s hard to be sure about cause and effect.
The , meanwhile, argues that easy access to firearms is the reason that almost 100,000 people are shot or killed in the US each year. But do we blame the gun or the person? Another paradox: The spread of guns in the US is happening amid an overall decline in violent crime. Yet violent crime (more than 12,000 murders and 44,000 shooting attacks in 2008) is still far higher in the US than in other industrial countries. Guns and gun lore flow through our culture. Many of us grew up with toy revolvers and plastic rifles. We may have learned to shoot at summer camp (I did). We honor the embattled farmers who fired the shot h the Old West sheriff whose quick draw dis the heroic soldiers, police officers, and law-abiding citizens who band together to defend themselves in a thousand movies. We cringe at gangsters, assassins, and bullies who brandish firearms to intimidate the innocent. But if you take your knowledge of guns from pop culture, you have an unrealistic view of what they can and can’t do. Guns are precise only in the hands of trained marksmen. Gun wounds are rarely something a good guy can shrug off. Silent silencers, impregnable bulletproof vests, and bottomless magazines for blazing away are Hollywood nonsense.It is a shame that we are still a species that feels comfortable, even celebrates, an instrument built solely to maim or kill. We are, after all, the same species that believes in persuasion and reason and has seen the efficacy of nonviolent movements. Yet ending tyranny and oppression and defending life and liberty still seem to require firearms.
once said that the power of nonviolence rests in the idea that “you not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him.” One day, let’s hope, we’ll see that that radical concept, which runs through all religions and cultures, is far more powerful than black powder and lead. John Yemma is the editor of The Christian Science Monitor.
Related Stories
Share this story:
Popular Now
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic?
Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.
Your name:
Your e-mail address:
Editors' picks文档分类:
在线文档经过高度压缩,下载原文更清晰。
淘豆网网友近日为您收集整理了关于约翰·邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻的文档,希望对您的工作和学习有所帮助。以下是文档介绍:约翰·邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻 分类号U 0 C密级单位代码1 0094诃{I£解菡尤李硕士学位论文约翰’邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻荣高悦指导教师姓名专业名称:研究方向:申请学位级别挛正栓教援英语语言文学英国文学硕士二oo七年三月摘要约翰·邓恩,玄学派代表人物,一位表达矛盾情感的杰出大师,以其奇思妙喻的标新立异,和对传统的创新而著称。邓恩诗歌中的奇思妙喻清新奇特,宛如一株奇葩,怒放在文艺复兴时期的诗坛。本文基于Te∞uro的理论,对邓恩在调£与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻进行研究。全篇共分三章。第一章分为二部分,主要介绍了对于邓思奇思妙喻的不同代表观点,以及不同理论对于其分析的特点。在这一部分主要关注Tesauro奇思妙喻的理论,并进一步指出这种理论的特点,起源,和作为一种修辞手段的独创性。第二章阐述邓恩在意象上的奇思妙喻,同时运用Tesauro奇思妙喻的理论集中分析邓恩如何运用意象传递独特的矛盾情感。本章分为三个部分,分别研究邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的三个方面:生命与死亡、神圣与世俗、科学与神学。并强调指出邓恩奇思妙喻在《歌与短歌集》中表现的独创性。第三章重点研究邓思在主题上(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])的奇思妙喻,第一部分分析了邓恩对爱情的不同理解和感受,以及爱的不同层面。第二部分分析了邓恩对女性的矛盾情感,邓恩对女性既赞美又讽刺,并指出奇思妙喻的使用丰富了主题的表达。结论部分评论了邓恩在《歌与短歌集》中奇思妙喻的使用,简要阐述了对后来诗歌的影响。关键词一约翰·邓思奇思妙喻‘歌与短歌集》AbstractJohn Donne.∞e ofthe most influenfal figums among Metaphysical poets,hasbeenfamousforhis deltvot-stomakeabriefstudyonthe characteristicsofDonne’.Chapter One explores the representative different viewpoints about the COnceit a3a literary device and the specialties ofeach theory in the analysis of(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])Donne’s conceits.In this chapter,conceit is mole attached to Treasure’s&Theory ofConceit'’connectedwith its m蛳,and its uniqueness∞a litera巧device.Chapter Two adopts another aspect of Tcsauro’5“Theory of Conceit'’.Itexploroes how Donne explores images to express its contradictory feeling.It analysessome typical examples in Donne’s Songs and ¥.It divided the imagery mainlyinto three aspects:life and death,secular and divine,sicence and th(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])eology.Donne’spoetry is a mirror mon feeling of human being which focuses the intellectand emotion in his poctly.Chapter Three is devoted toanalysing the two important themes in Donne'sSongs H.vomen and love.From the analysis ofthe conceit within the twothemes,it contains the unique viewpoints reflected in Donne’s conceits,which makeshis poetry unique and striking within the Elizabethan literary uadition.Keywords:Jobn Donne conceit SongsandSone船(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])学位论文原创性声明本人所提交的学位论文《约翰·邓恩&歌与短歌集&中的奇思妙喻》(Conceit in John Donne’S Songs and s),是在导师的指导下,独立进行研究工作所取得的原创性成果。除文中已经注明引用的内容外,本论文不包含任何其他个人或集体已经发表或撰写过的研究成果。对本文的研究做出重要贡献的个人和集体,均已在文中标明。本声明的法律后果由本人承担。论文作者(签名):萍鲫邑--00七年四月二日学位论文原创性确认书学生益圭!墨所提交的学位论文《约翰.邓恩&歌与短歌集&中的奇思妙喻》(Conceit in John Donne’S Songs and s),是在本人的指导下,由其独立进行研究工作所取得的原创性成果。除文中已经注明引用的内容外,该论文不包含任何其他个人或集体已经发表或撰写过的研究成果。指导教师(签名):二00七年四月二日AcknowledgementsFirst and foremost,1 would like to exp(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])ress my s.n∞”1ballks to Professor【jZhengshmm,my supercisor,to whom my gratitude is IⅪyond words.I benefited a 1mfrom his speeches about Renaissance poetry and I treasured his careful explanation,msi蛳l talks and eventhose_mspiril瑶jokes.I锄also grateful to Professor JiShenglej,Pm缸∞r Guo Qunying,Profcs∞r Duan Xiaoying,whose]eotores arousemy interest in studying literature.Ithank allthefacultymembcBintheCollege ofForeignLanguages ofI-lebeiNormalⅥ证v日蛹.1 w(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])ould like to thank the following people for their generous.helpin lending me books.photocopying and evlⅫl buying books for me.My fellowundergraduate student Nan Fang,my fellow graduate students Liu Xiaojie and Ji Millsent me m趿y books,photocopied materials.Thanks must go to Ms.Bao Ouiying,Jennie whose valuable suggestion helped ma a lot in my writing the thesis.Also quitea few students in sttijiazhuang Railway Institute in puter to deal、=hnical prob(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])lems—they are Mi Le‘Zhang Tengfei,}Ie Huiyan,Xiao E,ChenFang,Mang Yongqing,Rui WeijuanFinally,1 wodd like to express my love and thanks to my Family members:myporants--my dad R0ng Zhiping who dovoted himself in working aad supporting mesince my childhood,my mum Gao Xiang,my parents--in_|aw,especially mymum-in-law,Zhang Yudan,who calm from far away to support my writing the thesisand left her husband--Wang Baoyin alone athome.My dear grandmothers Pan(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])gYuqin,Li Huizhong,whose life long experience encouraged hie whenever I metdifficltics in wntiag.And most especially,my‘'better half'’,Wang Jinsheng whoselove,support and encouragement helped me e all the obstacles I mot whilewriting this hhesis.HebciNannalUoivcrs姆March,2007ConceitinJohn Dorme'sSongs Sone☆IntroductionJohn Donne(),the most influential Metaphysical poet in Englishlitemlure,has been recognized as one of the greates(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])t poets in the world.Hisoriginnlity and talents ofcreation was finally discovered in the twentieth ecntmy afIermorethantwohundredyearsofneglectJohn Donne's“shocking'’conceits wfffc regarded∞a sort of‘'roughness”wimdialectical,dramatical and simple language for the critics of Donne’s age jedged ording协Nan-classical rules.which emphasizes on the power of reason and urate reflection of the real world.Therefore he was far from bemg a great p(来源:淘豆网[/p-6733403.html])oet.Samuel Johnson regarded him as an&mmatural p0盯’against rdkqon and lhaturel.Dryden once pays tribute to Donne's wit&Ifwe are not sogreat Wits,as Donne,yet,certainly,we ate better poets.”‘'Doctor DonnA the gemest Wit,though not the hestpoet ofour nation'“.Donne’s originality and genius were far from being admitted andadmired in the following two centuries though critics begun to recognize him∞agood‘‘satirist&’.1n the eenth ceuRlty,Donne lost his position∞“a great wit'’forRomanticism,which favored music,myth,flowers,glass and evco shepherd.Theschool ofmetaphysical poetry has been contemned asdry matter-of-fact,‘'decked outina robeofglittering conceitsandcloggedwiththehalting shagldes ofvcrsc.'。Whenmore and more readers became aware ofthe intense beauty and plexity ofJohn Doone's poetry,the critics,especially Lamb,De Quince);and Coleridge came torecognize him as a more poet while the Metaphysical p跳remained unknown in abroader way.They apprecinunl DoMe’s~spirit of high-flyiag fantasy‘in the air ofwit'’■which could he summarized∞the elTect of conceiL Since then,Romanticspaid special attcation to Donne·not only in term of apoet himself,but hjs lifeexperienceandbackgroundrelatingtohispoetry.A.J.Smith’s砌^nDonne,TheCHtiealHeritageis umarvelouscollection ofallConceitin JohnDonne’skinds ofopinions on Donne and his poetry from 1598 to1889.Donne’s碍pInaIi∞inEnglish literature was not really established until the publication of Grierson’sCollectionofDonne'sCompletePoems andt S.Eliot's essayTheMetaphysicalPoetsill the twentieth century.Conceit is primarily m artistic device related topoetiedesigns and expressions.As for John Donne.ceneeit does not rgm丑{n as a mefe sort ofdevice,but more important mode of thing.The originnl arid anomalous way ofthinking cultivated Donne as a unique and influential metaphysical poet.Essentialarticles for the studies of John Donne’s Poet『y edited by John IL Roberts in 1975 isdivided into 8 sec60ns:Donne's r舭Donne and the developoaent of EnglishPDonne’the&Anniversaries,”and miscellannotts poems.M.H.Abrams says in A Glossary o/Literary Terms:Originally it m@dlconceit CRUle to be the term for ficheofspeee札which establish striking,arresting.and parallel,mostly ingeniouslyelaborate,between two dissimilar things or situation.The English poets ofthesLmeenth and seventeenth cetmaies edapted the term from the lluiian Concerto.Thelta&mainlytwotapesofconceitarcwidely distinguishedbythedifferenttemB:ritePetrarehan conceitandtheMetaphysical conceiL’When talking about its eharaetsfisties and its influence he continued to address:The metaphysical conceit,for its strained mad unnatural eharaotm-isties,hasfell out of favor in the eightt*however,with the wodd-widerevival ofthe metaphysical poesy dm'ing the early decades ofthe twentiethcentury,quite a few modem pcm employed tllis sort offigure.For example,T.S.parison ofthe evening to~patient etherized upon a table'’inthet姆auing lines of the‘1t”Love Song ofJ.Afred Prufrock,”and theseries ofstartling figurative vehicles in D,lan Thomas’s“In Memory ofAnn-2-Concei!inJohnDonne&sJones.。Lalerthe矗由li∞for such softof c0Il∞i忸e缸emledin alargerscaIeofw甜Id,mc]ud蛔popnI缸love songs and rock删rail in吐佗1920s and later,by weJl《posers such as Cole porter:&You aM the Cream iⅡMyCoffee”锄ld“YouYethetop_Nearly a】l the critics a辨e 011 the coBceit'¥position∞o unique expressive method.Here arc ments on conceit in literm'y history.Samuel Johnson fLtSt employs‘‘wir in the sense of“conceit'’as mcots onJohn Donne and his followers.He takes wit as‘‘more 690rously and philosophicallyconsiderad as a kind ofdiscordia concors&and“bination ofdissimilar images'”.As a matter offact'conceit is not Donne's creation,which has been adopted long timeago by Dante and Petrarch.Conceit breaks the bal_fier of normal way of thinking byarresting the attention and arotl.∞s the interest of the readers who have to taste thehidden meaning.T.S.Eliot regards concmt as a sort of‘'elaboration of figure of speech to thefarthest stage to which ingenuity can carry&4In this way,hez'e the figure of speechwill be“pallded in a way that originality and ingenuity Can imagine.‘'When a poet'smind is perfectly equipped for its work,it is constantly amalgamating disparateexperience.” yoke the meet heterogeneous ideas together by violence In thissense.thereisIlobetterexamplethanDonne’spoetry.e Williamsun∞gards Donne’s uniqueness as‘'the founder and supremeexample ofa certain way ofwriting poetr/“!which contains the&unified sensibility'’or bination of feeling and thought.As the figure,images and ideas melt intoone,theconceitllolds bination ofthought andfeeling.Intlfis SelL,e,WilliⅫason has improved the understand/rig of conceit,In the mode ofthinking.he has mented∞:nle expanded conceit is essful when the idea and the figure e Olle.ConceitinJohnDoi%,le'¥and nW condensed conceit when the image b 1he vet3'body ofthe thought.Th啦what can be seen is the close佗lafion of the conceit to the sensuousthinking.The conceit,phyingllkethe shuttle between hismind andtheworld,WOVe the fabric of曲E thought,arid gave the l址tem in which he united hismost disparate kaowledge and experience into a witty or imaginative。Revel pelling,but always risingfromatough reasonableness and often analningstartling insight,with moments of breathtaking beaut,/.In short,the conceiKwith its wit and¥urprigeand bias ofn%∞n.suitⅨl his mind,his many ature.“Conceit,has been normally 0ttached to the rhetorical devices and the literarystructure,ol】e oftbe example can be caused byjuxtagoslng two patible images,which c∞be regarded as paradoxical conceits.The following is 8 typical example ofthis sort:“When my grave is broke up again/Some second guest tO entertain/…,./Andhe that digs it.spies/A bracelet of bright hair about the bone.“2 These are thebeginninglinesofDonne’s&TheRelic'’.Intheselines&brightha护’and‘'bone&№faraway from each other,but they are juxtapesed together in the same short Line toindicate that a great tension between life and death es evident itself.With theunique way of visual impression caused by tonsion。the readers must feel a senseeternallovebehindtheimages.As for the recent critical reviews about Donne,alore articles have appeared toexplore the characteristics,origin,uniqueness and theory of Donne’s conceits plex images.his fair for drama,his wide learning and his quick wit,to reinforcehisownpositinninthehisuayofEngiishliterature.There are mainly four theorib4S of Donne’s conceits.The first one lies in ItalianJesuit Emanuele Tesauro,who al“gues that&perfect witticisms and ingenious conceits(the two aresynonymousl are‘‘urbanely fallacious arguments”“.He also believes that&the witty argument,the conceit,must derive its force from the metaphor-makingConceit in John Donne’s sfacIIlty,the ingeno,that is,by way of some‘cavilling fiction’”“.Roseraond Tuve’slogical imaging,whose fame wss established for her Elizabethan and MetaphysicalImagery,represents auother sort of theory.TheⅡird sort of theory attributes the&metaphysieal&to Baroque style.‘'The notion has been applied with greatest!KlCOeSSto the study ofthe visual arts,where it is at least referable tospecific techniques.’’“Inaddillon,another widespread theory of the&metaphysical&is emblem theory whichestablishes a causal connection between the emblem movement or“emblem habit&16and the emblem theory.Mario Praz,the foremost representative of this circle,analyzes the actual creations of this literary movement leads him to a view of theconceit and the emblem which might be called the‘'game&theory.They also regardthe natlffe of conceit and emblem as the riddle which plays a role os by-product_Ioamuse and to be light-hearted.Austin Warren,shares some of Praz's conceptionsabout the emblem to an even greater degrce.Then he argues:lecd∞ofthe emblemwithpoetrywas.formthe start,indeedthetermoften transferred itself from the picture to the epigram which paniedit...thusthe artsreinforcedone another.TheinfluenceOIlpoetryWaS not only∞encouragethe metaphorical habit but to import to themetaphors a hardness,a palpability which merely conceived,tlley wereunlikely to possess.And yet the metaphors ordinarily analogizedimpalpabilifies---stotes ofthe sod,concepts,abstraetiorts.Many emblems owetheir undeniable grotesqueness to the visualization of metaphors,othmscriptural,whichwerenotintendedtobevisualized.”Warren's version of the emblem theory of&metaphysical'’poetry is based on ag即ml theory of imagery,which is engaged in the naive of the analogues in ametaphor:.5一播放器加载中,请稍候...
该用户其他文档
下载所得到的文件列表约翰·邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻.pdf
文档介绍:
约翰·邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻 分类号U 0 C密级单位代码1 0094诃{I£解菡尤李硕士学位论文约翰’邓恩《歌与短歌集》中的奇思妙喻荣高悦指导教师姓名专业名称:研究方向:申请学位级别挛正栓教援英语语言文学英国文学硕士二oo七年三月摘要约翰·邓恩,玄学派代表人物,一位表达矛盾情感的杰出大师,以其奇思妙喻的标新...
内容来自淘豆网转载请标明出处.

我要回帖

更多关于 quot什么意思 的文章

随机推荐