&quot什么意思;A wonan withuout a...

A saonuren is &a woman of loose morals,& &a slut,&
Showing pages :
This is an unformatted excerpt. Sign up to view the full document!
A saonuren is &a woman of loose morals,& &a slut,& while a saolaotou is &a lecher,& &an old wolf.& The two terms, seemingly equivalent, differ from one another in much the same way the English glosses differ from each Farris / GENDER AND G R A M M A R IN CHINESE 295 other in the relative value society places on the unrestrained sexu- ality of men as opposed to women, that is, a loose, immoral woman versus a lecherous old man. Although men's sexuality may the ob- ject of a pejorative term, as in boqinglang, &heartless lover,& such terms for men also refer to their virility and sexual prowess, as in selang, &old wolf.& Thus linguistic asymmetry mirrors cultural values and social mores. Finally, we note the term yaojing (literally, &a supernatural spirit,& a &fox-spirit&), &a woman who bewitches men.&Vivien Ng (1987: 64) points out that the fox-woman is a common super- natural spirit in Chinese folk tales who &is typically extremely beautiful and seductive and loves to prey on unsuspecting young men who are novices in the matter of love and sex.'' She notes that &fox-possession tales are so universally known in China that, in the vernacular speech, seductresses are often referred to as 'fox- spirits' & (Ng, 1987: 64). In Taiwanese society today, the term yao- jing is often used to curse the &other woman.& Because of a sexual double standard, married men in Taiwan who can afford it often have xiao laopo, &little wives,& with whom they usually set up a separate establishment. Or they will at least have a waiyu, &an out- side interest.& & But wives invariably blame the other woman for insinuating herself into the man's affections, and thus this woman is said to bewitch men. WORD ORDER Covert gender in Chinese also operates at the level of syntax. As Shih () points out, normal-that is, unmarked-word order always places lexemes with the semantic feature &+mas- culine& first, &+feminine& second. In other words, there is a semantic hierarchy to nouns that is motivated by underlying meta- physical assumptions about the sexes. Hierarchical ordering of nouns also occurs in Navajo (Witherspoon, 1977), and, I suggest, in all languages. Table 7 is a list of contrast sets and common chen- gyu that refer to gender in Chinese culture and society. The sub- ordinate status of females in Chinese society is apparent from the 296 MODERN CHINA / July 1988 TABLE 7 Covert Gender in Words E n g l i s h gloss C h i n e s e C h a r a c t e r s CONTRAST SETS r a l c a n d f e r n a l e I ~ I )n u h u s b a n d a n d w i f e f u f u f a t k . e r ar.d r r o t k e r f u mu 'K-% ! b r o t l r e r s a n d s i s t e l - s x i o n g d i j i e rnei E%+w4- son:; a n d d a i . g t l t e ~ - tz n u e n d e - e n p h a s i z e ion,,e:: ztrong n a n q i n g n u ( h e a v y man l i g h t womar.) man i s r e s p e c t e d : won,an d e b a s e d n 3 n z u n n u b e i man r L l e s o u t s i d e : wonan r u l e s i n s i d e n a n 7 h u w a i n i z h u n e i %s+[-+s& n a s c u l l n e p r i n c l g l e 1 - ...
This preview has blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version!
This is the end of the preview.
access the rest of the document.
Most Popular Documents for EAST ASIAN 160A5
EAST ASIAN 160A5
EAST ASIAN 160A5
EAST ASIAN 160A5
EAST ASIAN 160A5
Respect for Teachers and Learning - Teachers Day
http:/www.mofa.gov.tw/gio/fes
EAST ASIAN 160A5
The fathers effort is as big as the highest mountain, Thai Son. The mothers love is a
EAST ASIAN 160A5
NAME: Thuy Dung Tran
SECTION: Dr. Camp
Using the problem set presented
Ask our experts a question, and they’ll be able to help you. 95 are online now!
"Course Hero is definitely a very accessible resource that college students can use to excel in their classes."
-Alan Zhu, University of Washington
"Course Hero is one of many startups that aims to disrupt the higher education market. But it’s a bit different for a number of reasons: The company has been profitable for over a year, content is crowdsourced, and it uses game mechanics to reward users."
-VentureBeat
"Course Hero is the best online education resource I've ever used. On top of that Course Hero makes it so easy to help donate books to children in Africa through the Knowledge Drive. You can study and help a great cause all at the same time!"
-Aksa Anwar, Georgia State University
"Attracting over 30,000,000 visits per year, Course Hero has become a massive online learning platform democratizing fast access to quality educational resources: materials, experts and courses."
-YFS Magazine
"One of the most useful resources available on Course Hero is 24/7 access to Tutors. Even if I don't feel like waiting for an almost instant response from Tutors, they have a substantial database of questions that have already been addressed, so I simply have to browse and search for an answer."
-Arunava Chatterjee, University of Oregon
"Since launching in 2008, Course Hero has focused on building a hub of digital study guides, lecture notes and practice problems for college students. Last month, the company expanded into an online tutoring with a Q&A platform that lets students pay for on-demand answers to homework and study questions."
"The best part of Course Hero's website is having the ability to preview other people's experiences in a particular class and put them to use during your time in the class. It enables you to preview other people's experiences in a particular class and put them to use during your time in the class. It enables you to be able to practice before quizzes and exams and achieve better scores in a multitude of classes."
-Jordan Kovalsky, University of Wisconsin, Madison
"Today, six years later, Course Hero is a website of study guides, class notes, past course exams, flash cards, live tutoring services, and supplementary courses, mostly for college students."
"Not only does Course Hero have an enormous amount of study resources for students to access, but it also offers these resources in a great variety (i.e. online tutors, flashcards or lectures notes from students just like themselves). I think that this variety will help students to study in a way that fits their unique studying style!"
-Helena Rhim, UVA
"Think of Course Hero as a cozy college study group of 2 million students, minus the bad pizza."
-Entrepreneur
"The product that I use most frequently is Flashcards because of the benefits they offer me. Often times learning key vocabulary words for a class is essential for its success and the flashcard feature helps to keep me organized."
-Amber Wilson, University of Florida
"I was worried about a test that I hadn't begun studying for, then I checked the Course Hero Flashcards section and found a set made for almost the exact same concepts and made my studying so much easier. Course Hero saved the day!"
-Manny Silva, UTSA
of new members earn better grades!
Give Back — With every upgrade, we donate a book to a child in Africa.
By clicking "Sign up", you agree to our , , and
Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors and customizable flashcards—available anywhere, anytime.
Educational Resources
Study Documents
Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access or to earn money with our Marketplace.
Question & Answers
Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Flashcards
Browse existing sets or create your own using our digital flashcard system. A simple yet effective studying tool to help you earn the grade that you want!

我要回帖

更多关于 quot什么意思 的文章

随机推荐